PDA

View Full Version : 2017 FCS ADA All-America Team

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 10:06 AM
http://www.nacda.com/sports/div1aaada/spec-rel/121417aaa.html

QB: Jeremiah Briscoe, Sam Houston State (Southland)
RB: Dominick Bragalone, Lehigh (Patriot)
WR: Keelan Doss, UC Davis (Big Sky)
TE: Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State (MVFC)
OL: Austin Kuhnert, North Dakota State (MVFC)
PK: Lorran Fonseca, Nicholls (Southland)
DL: Andrew Ankrah, James Madison (CAA Football)
LB: Brett Taylor, Western Illinois (MVFC)
DB: Mike Basile, Monmouth (Big South)
RS: Rashid Shaheed, Weber State (Big Sky)
P: Joe Zema, Incarnate Word (Southland)

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Some head scratchers there. Briscoe over Streveler??? And I love Austin Kuhnert but Brandon Parker from NC A&T seems to be the consensus best lineman in the FCS this year.

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Some head scratchers there. Briscoe over Streveler??? And I love Austin Kuhnert but Brandon Parker from NC A&T seems to be the consensus best lineman in the FCS this year.

Yeah, some are solid picks...Ankrah, Goedert, and Taylor for sure....but some of those seem kinda off.

TheKingpin28
December 14th, 2017, 11:42 AM

Yeah, some are solid picks...Ankrah, Goedert, and Taylor for sure....but some of those seem kinda off.

Parker was a beast. Didn't he grade out with no sacks his entire career at NCAT?

MTfan4life
December 14th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Bragalone on yet another list. The spoils of having more than half your schedule against one of the worst Patriot League seasons ever. Outside of conference against Wagner, Penn, Villanova, and Monmouth, Bragalone averaged just 84 yards per game. That's not very becoming of someone who is being called the best RB in the country this season.

ccd494
December 14th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Bragalone: 247 carries, 1424 yards, 5.6 average

Josh Mack: 243 carries, 1419 yards, 5.5 average, in two fewer games, against a much tougher schedule.

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2017, 01:57 PM

This list seems way off. Doss, Goedert, Zema, and Taylor are the only ones who I feel they hit dead on in getting right. You could argue Fonseca but I don't think any kicker is consensus. As for the others it looks really bad for this group of voters that anyone voted for a player besides Brandon Parker or Jamil Demby or Timon Parris. As for DL I think Ankrah is good but he did very little against Weber St on film and to me is just a good but not elite player. Basile is really good but I think Taron Johnson, D'Montre Wade, Davontae Harris, and others are just as good and I'm shocked that Basile was the top vote getter. Their picks for QB and RB are a joke. Sorry for being so blunt but Bragalone is not very good at all. I would argue he should not even be on a 1st or 2nd team AA list. Newsome, Mack, and about 3-4 others are better than him by far. Briscoe did not play well late in the year and I just don't see how he goes above Streveler.

Professor
December 14th, 2017, 01:57 PM

I agree. But it is what it is. We not getting a lot of love. After the win sat, we hope to open some eyes

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2017, 01:59 PM

Josh Mack: 243 carries, 1419 yards, 5.5 average, in two fewer games, against a much tougher schedule.

Bragalone is slow, likely a 4.7 or high 4.6 guy, he is stiff, not a good receiver, and not a good blocker at all. Just a guy who runs hard against bad competition. I was very underwhelmed when I saw him on film. I expected an All-American caliber player who could get drafted or be a real good PFA based on stats but I almost rejected him as a NFL prospect (gave him a tryout grade) and don't see him as a 1st or 2nd team AA caliber player by far.

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2017, 02:45 PM
QB: Streveler
RB: Not Bragalone
WR: Doss
TE: Godert
OL: Parker
DL: Jackson
LB: Taylor
DB: Basile

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2017, 02:53 PM

xcoffeex

Gangtackle11
December 14th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Bragalone is slow, likely a 4.7 or high 4.6 guy, he is stiff, not a good receiver, and not a good blocker at all. Just a guy who runs hard against bad competition. I was very underwhelmed when I saw him on film. I expected an All-American caliber player who could get drafted or be a real good PFA based on stats but I almost rejected him as a NFL prospect (gave him a tryout grade) and don't see him as a 1st or 2nd team AA caliber player by far.

I have seen him the past 2 years and agree with your assessment. Lehigh fans will tell you 4.4 speed, but he looks like a fullback the way he runs to me. xpeacex

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2017, 03:04 PM

Fire your tape guy, this aspect of your analysis could not be more incorrect. Mayes didn't throw to Bragalone out of the backfield a lot, but that's more a function of having two of the best receivers in school history on the same team (and even with them, he got 13 catches for 224 yards and 4 TDs, including two critical ones that helped Lehigh win the PL Championship). And Lehigh was playing from behind most of their games, meaning that the pass rushers they went up against could simply pin their ears back and blitz. In those circumstances Dom's blocking is quite good - in fact, he's the strongest guy on the team, and it isn't particularly close.

I can't speak for the NFL but at the FCS level Dom is a tremendous FCS player, and he doesn't exhibit the criticisms you describe.

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2017, 03:06 PM
I have seen him the past 2 years and agree with your assessment. Lehigh fans will tell you 4.4 speed, but he looks like a fullback the way he runs to me. xpeacex
Lehigh fans wouldn't know a good back even if they ran for 726 yards and 8 TDs against them over a three game span.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Lehigh fans wouldn't know a good back even if they ran for 726 yards and 8 TDs against them over a three game span.

I'll just assume you would have written in Chandler Burks in at RB on your ballot, and yes, I understand he's a QB

ccd494
December 14th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Mayes didn't throw to Bragalone out of the backfield a lot, but that's more a function of having two of the best receivers in school history on the same team (and even with them, he got 13 catches for 224 yards and 4 TDs, including two critical ones that helped Lehigh win the PL Championship).

To point 1.) how was Lehigh so awful if it had the best players it has ever had on the team?

To point 2.) giving Lehigh points for winning the PL is like giving a two year old an award for pooping in their diaper and not on the floor. yeah, that's better than the alternative, but wouldn't it be better if they could use the toilet?

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2017, 03:28 PM
To point 1.) how was Lehigh so awful if it had the best players it has ever had on the team?

To point 2.) giving Lehigh points for winning the PL is like giving a two year old an award for pooping in their diaper and not on the floor. yeah, that's better than the alternative, but wouldn't it be better if they could use the toilet?

Because the defense was the worst in school history.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2017, 04:30 PM

1. Lehigh's defense was among the worst in Division I. As a result, Lehigh was playing from behind a lot, yet still kept a lot of games relatively close thanks to a tremendous offense that still performed at a high level.

2. The key in talking about Bragalone in the context of the Patriot League championship is that in key situations he was "the man". These yards and especially these receptions didn't come in the tail end of blowouts nor did the playbook simply say "give it to Bragalone because we don't have anybody else".

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2017, 05:58 PM

If they are saying he runs a 4.4 30-yard dash or maybe 35 yard-dash but no way he runs a 4.4 40. He probably runs a 4.65-4.70. He is not even close to Edmonds, when Edmonds is healthy.

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Fire your tape guy, this aspect of your analysis could not be more incorrect. Mayes didn't throw to Bragalone out of the backfield a lot, but that's more a function of having two of the best receivers in school history on the same team (and even with them, he got 13 catches for 224 yards and 4 TDs, including two critical ones that helped Lehigh win the PL Championship). And Lehigh was playing from behind most of their games, meaning that the pass rushers they went up against could simply pin their ears back and blitz. In those circumstances Dom's blocking is quite good - in fact, he's the strongest guy on the team, and it isn't particularly close.

I can't speak for the NFL but at the FCS level Dom is a tremendous FCS player, and he doesn't exhibit the criticisms you describe.

I watched Lafayette and Stony Brook games. He had two catches against SBU and none against Lafayette. He has good hands but is not a natural, fluid receiver and is not explosive at all. He has very good vision and runs tough but no twitch, quickness, or long speed. He is not an explosive runner at all. Just 3.9 per carry against Lafayette and was more of a wear you down type runner. He is very stiff as well. He had a 4.4 average against Stony Brook and I thought looked a little better but still not a NFL caliber player and not an All-American. When you stack All-Americans you are looking at the top players and I agree he should be nominated and is the best in the Patriot League but he doesn't have the speed, athletic ability, and physical tools that many of these others have. Based on numbers he should be a 3rd or 4th team pick but I don't think he is a 1st or 2nd team caliber player and he is certainly not a cut above top level CAA or MVFC runners.

As for my tape guy, that would be me. If you ask anyone and if you look at this yourself, you would see I have a GREAT track record on projecting the draft and on NFL success. I believe people told me I was nuts when I said BJ Coleman of UTC was a 7th or PFA and 3rd string type QB who would not last very long, or that Marcus Williams of NDSU was going to be a PFA who would be a solid back end of the roster guy but not a starter or top 100 pick, and I could mention many other players whom I was told I was nuts on and ended up being right on the money.

My guess is that Lehigh fans will see my posts, and probably you as well, and get mad because you see I'm saying something you don't like and you know in your gut that I'm probably right. I understand you are probably hurt and realize that what you hoped is now not the case.

Am I saying he could not improve these things and never play in the NFL? No I'm not. He could hit the weight room and greatly improve a lot of this for 2018. However, I'm telling you that scouts will see him as a second tier free agent or tryout type player based on this year's film and he is not an elite top 3-4 runner in FCS. Is he a good RB? Yes. Is he elite? No!

I won't take it personally or be mad at you getting upset with me. I know it is just anger that you realize what the Lehigh fan base was hoping for is not true! lol

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2017, 06:16 PM
1. Lehigh's defense was among the worst in Division I. As a result, Lehigh was playing from behind a lot, yet still kept a lot of games relatively close thanks to a tremendous offense that still performed at a high level.

2. The key in talking about Bragalone in the context of the Patriot League championship is that in key situations he was "the man". These yards and especially these receptions didn't come in the tail end of blowouts nor did the playbook simply say "give it to Bragalone because we don't have anybody else".

I agree he was in the man in those key teams but being the man in the Patriot League this year was like being the tallest midget in a room full of midgets. The talent in the league was not very good this year. I'm not talking smack but giving you an honest evaluation of the league. There are maybe 2-3 real good next level caliber players in the league right now and not one single freak like say a Jabril Cox caliber young guy. I like your QB Mayes and there are a couple good linemen and Bryant of Lafayette is really good but there is just not much All-America talent in the league right now. There is also nobody who I would say is a big time cut and a steal that the ACC or AAC missed out on badly. Just a lot of good FCS players and really good Patriot League caliber players but that's all.

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2017, 06:24 PM

Based on my own evals, talking to my connections, NFL grades, and the way they played against FBS or top 25 FCS teams, here are who should have won for each:

QB: Chris Streveler, South Dakota (MVFC)
RB: Josh Mack, Maine (CAA) or Roc Thomas Jacksonville St (OVC)
OL: Brandon Parker North Carolina A&T (MEAC)
PK: Lorran Fonseca, Nicholls (Southland)- I would argue Lane Clark Tennessee St (OVC)
DL: Darius Jackson, Jacksonville St (OVC)
DB: Mike Basile, Monmouth (Big South)- This is a tough one because Basile is very good but I would have taken Davontae Harris Illinois St (MVFC) or Taron Johnson Weber St (Big Sky)
RS: Juwan Petit-Frere, Southeastern Louisiana (Southland)

Just to show I gave a little bump for NFL grades but did not go all in on it you can see I left Taylor and surprisingly he is not rated high by NFL folks. Had I gone that way it would have been Sione or DeLuca.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 14th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I watched Lafayette and Stony Brook games. He had two catches against SBU and none against Lafayette. He has good hands but is not a natural, fluid receiver and is not explosive at all. He has very good vision and runs tough but no twitch, quickness, or long speed. He is not an explosive runner at all. Just 3.9 per carry against Lafayette and was more of a wear you down type runner. He is very stiff as well. He had a 4.4 average against Stony Brook and I thought looked a little better but still not a NFL caliber player and not an All-American. When you stack All-Americans you are looking at the top players and I agree he should be nominated and is the best in the Patriot League but he doesn't have the speed, athletic ability, and physical tools that many of these others have. Based on numbers he should be a 3rd or 4th team pick but I don't think he is a 1st or 2nd team caliber player and he is certainly not a cut above top level CAA or MVFC runners.

As for my tape guy, that would be me. If you ask anyone and if you look at this yourself, you would see I have a GREAT track record on projecting the draft and on NFL success. I believe people told me I was nuts when I said BJ Coleman of UTC was a 7th or PFA and 3rd string type QB who would not last very long, or that Marcus Williams of NDSU was going to be a PFA who would be a solid back end of the roster guy but not a starter or top 100 pick, and I could mention many other players whom I was told I was nuts on and ended up being right on the money.

My guess is that Lehigh fans will see my posts, and probably you as well, and get mad because you see I'm saying something you don't like and you know in your gut that I'm probably right. I understand you are probably hurt and realize that what you hoped is now not the case.

Am I saying he could not improve these things and never play in the NFL? No I'm not. He could hit the weight room and greatly improve a lot of this for 2018. However, I'm telling you that scouts will see him as a second tier free agent or tryout type player based on this year's film and he is not an elite top 3-4 runner in FCS. Is he a good RB? Yes. Is he elite? No!

I won't take it personally or be mad at you getting upset with me. I know it is just anger that you realize what the Lehigh fan base was hoping for is not true! lol

I'm a Lehigh fan and it's not out of anger but I don't agree with you either. I followed Bragalone from his time at South Williamsport HS when he was clowning teams. He was an All American HS RB, Gatorade HS Player of the Year in PA (tons of elite D1 talent in this state), broke numerous state and national records etc. The kid has simply produced at an elite level everywhere he's been and has the accolades to back it up. Delaware desperately wanted him as a RB and PSU wanted him as a safety. Kid is a baller. Very similar to Nate Eachus imo...

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2017, 06:38 PM
I'm a Lehigh fan and it's not out of anger but I don't agree with you either. I followed Bragalone from his time at South Williamsport HS when he was clowning teams. He was an All American HS RB, Gatorade HS Player of the Year in PA (tons of elite D1 talent in this state), broke numerous state and national records etc. The kid has simply produced at an elite level everywhere he's been and has the accolades to back it up. Delaware desperately wanted him as a RB and PSU wanted him as a safety. Kid is a baller. Very similar to Nate Eachus imo...

Go look at the top 10 rushers of all-time in high school and several of them never did anything in the NFL. A couple of them were total busts in college. Forget what you saw in high school.

I like your Eachus comparison. Nate is slightly better but they are close. I'm not saying Dom is a bad player or anything. I'm just saying he is not a NFL player at this point and that he is in no way the top RB in FCS. He is the best in the Patriot League and a very good college player but I can name 5 runners in FCS that I would rather take to a game against a SEC or ACC team than him. He does a great job in the Patriot League but again there are only 2 or 3 really good defenders in the league. He is running through really bad players. He was worn down at the end of the year and was 4.4 or less per carry in the last two games. His last regular season he only ran for 100 plus yards because he had so many carries. Lafayette found the way to stop him and he only had good yardage numbers because they kept running him. If you remove the 15-yard carry he had then his average would have only been 3.5. The rest of the game he was shut down.

I can name 50 players who had 25 plus offers by P5 or G5 schools and they were total busts who never could start at their school. It is not good to use what a player did in high school for a year or his offer list because I can also show players from D2 who became elite talents and did not have one single offer in high school. The Kutztown OL who got drafted in the 5th round was SHUNNED by EVERY Patriot League, P5, G5, and FCS school. He only had a walk-on offer to Kutztown and became a 3-time All-American and 5th round pick who made his NFL team as a rookie this year. I can show you the flip side with players who had 25 offers and fizzled out in a year or two and never did anything. An offer list is one of the most misleading ways to judge talent of a player. I don't really care about their offer list. It means nothing.

I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk. I'm just telling you guys the truth and correcting some major myths out there. :)

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Based on my own evals, talking to my connections, NFL grades, and the way they played against FBS or top 25 FCS teams, here are who should have won for each:

QB: Chris Streveler, South Dakota (MVFC)
RB: Josh Mack, Maine (CAA) or Roc Thomas Jacksonville St (OVC)
OL: Brandon Parker North Carolina A&T (MEAC)
PK: Lorran Fonseca, Nicholls (Southland)- I would argue Lane Clark Tennessee St (OVC)
DL: Darius Jackson, Jacksonville St (OVC)
DB: Mike Basile, Monmouth (Big South)- This is a tough one because Basile is very good but I would have taken Davontae Harris Illinois St (MVFC) or Taron Johnson Weber St (Big Sky)
RS: Juwan Petit-Frere, Southeastern Louisiana (Southland)

Just to show I gave a little bump for NFL grades but did not go all in on it you can see I left Taylor and surprisingly he is not rated high by NFL folks. Had I gone that way it would have been Sione or DeLuca.

Copy paste?? :D

Gangtackle11
December 15th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Go look at the top 10 rushers of all-time in high school and several of them never did anything in the NFL. A couple of them were total busts in college. Forget what you saw in high school.

I like your Eachus comparison. Nate is slightly better but they are close. I'm not saying Dom is a bad player or anything. I'm just saying he is not a NFL player at this point and that he is in no way the top RB in FCS. He is the best in the Patriot League and a very good college player but I can name 5 runners in FCS that I would rather take to a game against a SEC or ACC team than him. He does a great job in the Patriot League but again there are only 2 or 3 really good defenders in the league. He is running through really bad players. He was worn down at the end of the year and was 4.4 or less per carry in the last two games. His last regular season he only ran for 100 plus yards because he had so many carries. Lafayette found the way to stop him and he only had good yardage numbers because they kept running him. If you remove the 15-yard carry he had then his average would have only been 3.5. The rest of the game he was shut down.

I can name 50 players who had 25 plus offers by P5 or G5 schools and they were total busts who never could start at their school. It is not good to use what a player did in high school for a year or his offer list because I can also show players from D2 who became elite talents and did not have one single offer in high school. The Kutztown OL who got drafted in the 5th round was SHUNNED by EVERY Patriot League, P5, G5, and FCS school. He only had a walk-on offer to Kutztown and became a 3-time All-American and 5th round pick who made his NFL team as a rookie this year. I can show you the flip side with players who had 25 offers and fizzled out in a year or two and never did anything. An offer list is one of the most misleading ways to judge talent of a player. I don't really care about their offer list. It means nothing.

I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk. I'm just telling you guys the truth and correcting some major myths out there. :)

The kid is a star on a very good offensive team that would give most FCS teams pause for concern. That said I’m not sure he’d have the #s playing better defenses week in week out than what he sees in the Patriot League, but they would still be good.

Give the kid his due. Plenty of Heisman Trophy winners weren’t NFL material so it should come to no one’s surprise that a FCS AA wouldn’t be up to snuff either. xpeacex

smallcollegefbfan
December 15th, 2017, 08:13 AM
The kid is a star on a very good offensive team that would give most FCS teams pause for concern. That said I’m not sure he’d have the #s playing better defenses week in week out than what he sees in the Patriot League, but they would still be good.

Give the kid his due. Plenty of Heisman Trophy winners weren’t NFL material so it should come to no one’s surprise that a FCS AA wouldn’t be up to snuff either. xpeacex

Definitely true. And I'm not saying all the other backs are NFL material. I am saying that while he is good that there are several backs I would easily take over him. Mack, Thomas, and Newsome are definitely better athletes and players I would pick over him for sure. The Yale kid is better as well. I would probably take the Alcorn State guy over him but then place him at 6th due to production. Although, there are 2-3 runners in the MVFC who have more juice than he does.

Gangtackle11
December 15th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Definitely true. And I'm not saying all the other backs are NFL material. I am saying that while he is good that there are several backs I would easily take over him. Mack, Thomas, and Newsome are definitely better athletes and players I would pick over him for sure. The Yale kid is better as well. I would probably take the Alcorn State guy over him but then place him at 6th due to production. Although, there are 2-3 runners in the MVFC who have more juice than he does.

I wasn’t going after your comments specifically. Just the one I picked for my commentary. I’ve seen him up close vs. Villanova the past 2 seasons & in neither game was he the best back in the game. Both Nova backs had better days, but they were running against Swiss cheeses Lehigh defenses.

I think he had 17-91 & 25-92 against us. Good, but not great #s against a Villanova defense ranked in the top of the FCS against the run. He’s a nice back, but I’m sure there are more talented. I think our kid Forbes is every bit as good, but he splits time in the Nova system.

These voters don’t take the time to do the analysis. They see #s & spread around the wealth nation wide. That is what it looks like to me.

The real travesty for Lehigh is the WR Troy Pelletier not on a squad. Imho he’s best that Nova has played in recent years & they have played Penn (Watson) & SDSU (Weineke).

Lehigh Football Nation
December 15th, 2017, 09:07 AM
The real travesty for Lehigh is the WR Troy Pelletier not on a squad. Imho he’s best that Nova has played in recent years & they have played Penn (Watson) & SDSU (Weineke).

No argument here.

ngineer
December 15th, 2017, 11:37 PM
I wasn’t going after your comments specifically. Just the one I picked for my commentary. I’ve seen him up close vs. Villanova the past 2 seasons & in neither game was he the best back in the game. Both Nova backs had better days, but they were running against Swiss cheeses Lehigh defenses.

I think he had 17-91 & 25-92 against us. Good, but not great #s against a Villanova defense ranked in the top of the FCS against the run. He’s a nice back, but I’m sure there are more talented. I think our kid Forbes is every bit as good, but he splits time in the Nova system.

These voters don’t take the time to do the analysis. They see #s & spread around the wealth nation wide. That is what it looks like to me.

As a Lehigh football alum i was a bit surprised that Dom got first team. i thought he would be second or third. Had Lehigh any defense this year, the team would not have been playing from behind as much as it did. But not listing Pelletier is amazing to me. The guy catches in traffic and goes up and makes big plays. Many agree he's the best receiver to ever play at Lehigh, where we have had some AA receivers (Cecchini, Kreider, Spadola). However, Bragalone is a lot faster than he looks. He looks lumbering, but I have seen him outrun a number of secondaries, including JMU's a couple years ago. With another year to build, he may yet, get to another level.

JSUSoutherner
December 16th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Just to troll the JMU fans:

Darius Jackson > Ankrah

8 days a week.