PDA

View Full Version : NBC thinks South Dakota State is a cupcake

Serpentor
December 13th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Nebraska Loads Up On FCS cupcakes (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/13/nebraska-loads-up-on-fcs-cupcakes-in-future-scheduling/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo)

In a scheduling announcement on Wednesday (http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211689569), Nebraska has announced future games against two FCS opponents — South Dakota State and North Dakota — and Georgia Southern of the Sun Belt Conference. Nebraska will host South Dakota State in 2020, 2024, and 2028. North Dakota (NOT North Dakota State) will head to Lincoln in 2022 and 2026. Georgia Southern will occupy a spot on the non-conference schedule in 2022. Per Nebraska;

South Dakota State—Sept 12, 2020; Aug. 31, 2024; Sept. 9, 2028
North Dakota—Sept. 3, 2022; Sept. 19, 2026
Georgia Southern—Sept. 10, 2022

Interesting notes:

1. NBC clearly doesn't know who South Dakota State is
2. This is fallout from Alabama getting into the FBS playoffs. They proved the playoff committee will not punish you for putting FCS teams on the schedule, even when it comes to a crucial vote about who gets in. Expect more FBS conferences to come knocking now.

Gil Dobie
December 13th, 2017, 05:04 PM
That's very non-B1G of Nebraska, to schedule FCS schools.

JSUSoutherner
December 13th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Yeah well. Being thought of a cupcake doesn't mean anything.

We we're supposed to be the creamiest of cream puffs for Auburn and Ole Miss. 46 point underdogs in 2015.

Or Howard being 47 point underdogs to UNLV.

Or App State taking down UM.

The list of "cupcake games gone wrong" goes on...

Schism55
December 13th, 2017, 05:12 PM
1. SDSU is losing the 2 best receivers in program history after this season, not sure how good Jacks will be next year/going forward.
2. Nebraska will be very good, possibly great with Scott Frost at the helm.
3. SDSU could very well get murked in all the 2020 game, making the cupcake moniker apropos.

Serpentor
December 13th, 2017, 05:13 PM

We we're supposed to be the creamiest of cream puffs for Auburn and Ole Miss. 46 point underdogs in 2015.

The list of "cupcake games gone wrong" goes on...

We were a cupcake to University of New Mexico back in 2011. I think their coach got fired the next day after losing to us.

Thumper 76
December 13th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Eh, we are considered a cupcake unless we beat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winindy
December 13th, 2017, 06:31 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26782&stc=1

IBleedYellow
December 13th, 2017, 06:37 PM
Eh, we are considered a cupcake unless we beat them.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm genuinely curious and I just can't remember.

Have you beaten any of your FBS games?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Katfan
December 13th, 2017, 06:37 PM
NBC doesn’t know crap about FCS teams

Bisonator
December 13th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I'm genuinely curious and I just can't remember.

Have you beaten any of your FBS games?

Kansas a couple years ago.

Green1
December 13th, 2017, 08:13 PM
In a scheduling announcement on Wednesday, Nebraska has announced future games against two FCS opponents — South Dakota State and North Dakota — and Georgia Southern of the Sun Belt Conference. Nebraska will host South Dakota State in 2020, 2024, and 2028. North Dakota (NOT North Dakota State) will head to Lincoln in 2022 and 2026. Georgia Southern will occupy a spot on the non-conference schedule in 2022.

But...but...but we are a cupcake too!!! Schedule us Nebraska!

We promise. It will only hurt for a little bit.

Go...gate
December 13th, 2017, 08:16 PM
That's very non-B1G of Nebraska, to schedule FCS schools.

Maybe Rutgers will get the idea and schedule some games with Princeton, Lafayette and Lehigh.

JSUSoutherner
December 13th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Maybe Rutgers will get the idea and schedule some games with Princeton, Lafayette and Lehigh.
How is Rutgers a P5 school? Are they good at anything??

Theee Catrabbit
December 13th, 2017, 11:51 PM
I don't know people said "What are you going to do after Minnet? What are you going to do after Sumner? What are you going to do after Zenner? What are you going to do after Schneider? What are you going to do after Weineke? What are you going to do after Goedert? What will we do after TC?" Everybody has the same issues. You reload.

POD Knows
December 14th, 2017, 07:26 AM
Nebraska Loads Up On FCS cupcakes (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/13/nebraska-loads-up-on-fcs-cupcakes-in-future-scheduling/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo)

Interesting notes:

2. This is fallout from Alabama getting into the FBS playoffs. They proved the playoff committee will not punish you for putting FCS teams on the schedule, even when it comes to a crucial vote about who gets in. Expect more FBS conferences to come knocking now.They will be a cupcake in 2020.

POD Knows
December 14th, 2017, 07:27 AM
1. SDSU is losing the 2 best receivers in program history after this season, not sure how good Jacks will be next year/going forward.
2. Nebraska will be very good, possibly great with Scott Frost at the helm.
3. SDSU could very well get murked in all the 2020 game, making the cupcake moniker apropos.This, SDSU hit lighting in a bottle with a couple of recruiting classes, they will wear the cupcake mantel with pride in a year or two.

jacksfan29
December 14th, 2017, 08:00 AM
I don't know people said "What are you going to do after Minnet? What are you going to do after Sumner? What are you going to do after Zenner? What are you going to do after Schneider? What are you going to do after Weineke? What are you going to do after Goedert? What will we do after TC?" Everybody has the same issues. You reload.

They are Bison fans, let them roll with whatever they want to roll with. It helps them get through the week.

I expect SDSU will again be fighting for an MVFC title next year. We will actually be a more complete team, and our defense will be much stronger. Goedert and Weinke will be huge losses but we are actually pretty deep at WR and TE. I think we will have a harder time replacing Soulek and Ohnesorge.

Pretty sure we heard the same crap from Bison fans Zenner's senior year.

BEAR
December 14th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Amazing. How anyone can say any school will be a cupcake TWO years from now is freakin' illogical. What happens if in two years the mighty FBS school has a coach leave and players decide to leave too? Or the FCS school has a good recruiting class and steam rolls the delapidated FBS team? Citadel did it to Arkansas. UCA did it to a very strong Arkansas State team that had won 4 conference titles in a row.

I guess I'm trying to say why an FBS school thinks it ill be a powerhouse in two years is just pathetic because nobody knows what will happen before then.

By the way, I see SDSU winning it all this year.

Bear84
December 14th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Obviously, the NBC folks were not aware that the North Dakota players have been really hitting the weight room....xcoffeex

POD Knows
December 14th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Obviously, the NBC folks were not aware that the North Dakota players have been really hitting the weight room....xcoffeexxconfusedx

BEAR
December 14th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Obviously, the NBC folks were not aware that the North Dakota players have been really hitting the weight room....xcoffeex

xconfusedx

Bear84
December 14th, 2017, 09:33 AM
xconfusedx

I guess you guys missed the classic thread where UND was going to smash everyone next year because they were really hitting the weight room. Oh well, I tried. xembarrassedx

lucchesicourt
December 14th, 2017, 09:38 AM

The list of "cupcake games gone wrong" goes on... How about D2 UCD moving up to FCS and beating Stanford in 2005. Be careful who you call a cupcake. All that does is give the lower level team more reason to give it their all.

BisonBacker
December 14th, 2017, 09:47 AM

In a scheduling announcement on Wednesday (http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211689569), Nebraska has announced future games against two FCS opponents — South Dakota State and North Dakota — and Georgia Southern of the Sun Belt Conference. Nebraska will host South Dakota State in 2020, 2024, and 2028. North Dakota (NOT North Dakota State) will head to Lincoln in 2022 and 2026. Georgia Southern will occupy a spot on the non-conference schedule in 2022. Per Nebraska;

South Dakota State—Sept 12, 2020; Aug. 31, 2024; Sept. 9, 2028
North Dakota—Sept. 3, 2022; Sept. 19, 2026
Georgia Southern—Sept. 10, 2022

Interesting notes:

2. This is fallout from Alabama getting into the FBS playoffs. They proved the playoff committee will not punish you for putting FCS teams on the schedule, even when it comes to a crucial vote about who gets in. Expect more FBS conferences to come knocking now.

That explains your headline xlolx

Bison56
December 14th, 2017, 09:47 AM
I guess you guys missed the classic thread where UND was going to smash everyone next year because they were really hitting the weight room. Oh well, I tried. xembarrassedx

I got it xthumbsupxxlolx

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 10:10 AM

Started back in 2015 after Western Illinois (at 6-5) beat out North Dakota (7-4) for an at-large playoff spot, I believe.

walliver
December 14th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Georgia Southern is the biggest cupcake on the list.
To be honest, to the top half of the P5, all FCS and G5 games are considered "cupcakes".
The Big Ten's real issue, other than lack of counting skills, is that they have a small core group of successful programs (most in the East), and a lot of weak teams. 6 teams had 3 or fewer conference wins in 2017. 9 of the 14 teams finished with losing conference records. 6 of 14 had overall losing records. By comparison, the SEC only had 4 of 14 finish with losing records. Even Tennessee was unbeaten OOC. The PAC 12 had 3 of 12 with losing records, the Big 12 had 2 of 10, and the ACC had 4 of 14.
Just about everybody in the ACC and SEC plays an FCS team and a SunBelt/MAC team. It seems to be a very successful way to get into the "playoff". In fact, 5 years ago or so, Clemson made it into a BCS bowl with 2 FCS wins.

POD Knows
December 14th, 2017, 10:19 AM
I guess you guys missed the classic thread where UND was going to smash everyone next year because they were really hitting the weight room. Oh well, I tried. xembarrassedx****, sorry, I read the post on my 2" screen on my phone and didn't see the UND reference. I get now.

Serpentor
December 14th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Georgia Southern is the biggest cupcake on the list.
To be honest, to the top half of the P5, all FCS and G5 games are considered "cupcakes".
The Big Ten's real issue, other than lack of counting skills, is that they have a small core group of successful programs (most in the East), and a lot of weak teams. 6 teams had 3 or fewer conference wins in 2017. 9 of the 14 teams finished with losing conference records. 6 of 14 had overall losing records. By comparison, the SEC only had 4 of 14 finish with losing records. Even Tennessee was unbeaten OOC. The PAC 12 had 3 of 12 with losing records, the Big 12 had 2 of 10, and the ACC had 4 of 14.
Just about everybody in the ACC and SEC plays an FCS team and a SunBelt/MAC team. It seems to be a very successful way to get into the "playoff". In fact, 5 years ago or so, Clemson made it into a BCS bowl with 2 FCS wins.

The good teams in the Big 10 prop up the entire conference. No OOC opponent is intimidated going against Minnesota, Purdue or Rutgers, but woe to you sinners if you end up at the Horseshoe or the Bounce House.

Also, the MAC basically functions as a roided-up FCS conference. It lets the Big 10 claim it plays an all-FBS schedule when in reality a good chunk of those teams couldn't even beat a Southland basement dweller.

POD Knows
December 14th, 2017, 10:22 AM
The good teams in the Big 10 prop up the entire conference. No OOC opponent is intimidated going against Minnesota, Purdue or Rutgers, but woe to you sinners if you end up at the Horseshoe or the Bounce House.Bring it

BisonBacker
December 14th, 2017, 10:49 AM
We were a cupcake to University of New Mexico back in 2011. I think their coach got fired the next day after losing to us.

Sorry but Nebraska is on a different level than the University of New Mexico

uni88
December 14th, 2017, 10:52 AM
The good teams in the Big 10 prop up the entire conference. No OOC opponent is intimidated going against Minnesota, Purdue or Rutgers, but woe to you sinners if you end up at the Horseshoe or the Bounce House.

Also, the MAC basically functions as a roided-up FCS conference. It lets the Big 10 claim it plays an all-FBS schedule when in reality a good chunk of those teams couldn't even beat a Southland basement dweller.UNI scared the crap out of the cheese heads in Camp Randall about 6 years ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BisonBacker
December 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM
UNI scared the crap out of the cheese heads in Camp Randall about 6 years ago.

I remember that. I was rooting for you bastards.

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Also, the MAC basically functions as a roided-up FCS conference. It lets the Big 10 claim it plays an all-FBS schedule when in reality a good chunk of those teams couldn't even beat a Southland basement dweller.

I know I'm really looking forward to our winnable game against Illinois next year.

And you're not wrong...on average, the MVFC is better than the MAC, but something tells me that outside of maybe NDSU, most poll voters aren't going to see it that way. They'd ding a team more for losing to SDSU (or SHSU...or any good FCS team) than they would for losing to Eastern Michigan, Bowling Green, or Kent State...even though all of those MAC teams would lose to nearly any of the FCS playoff-worthy teams.

Serpentor
December 14th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Sorry but Nebraska is on a different level than the University of New Mexico

Aww come on, I was trying to show some solidarity with you guys... xlolx

Hammerhead
December 14th, 2017, 12:49 PM
Sagarin predicts SDSU would win by 3 points in Lincoln if they were playing each other this weekend. LOL

caribbeanhen
December 14th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I know I'm really looking forward to our winnable game against Illinois next year.

And you're not wrong...on average, the MVFC is better than the MAC, but something tells me that outside of maybe NDSU, most poll voters aren't going to see it that way. They'd ding a team more for losing to SDSU (or SHSU...or any good FCS team) than they would for losing to Eastern Michigan, Bowling Green, or Kent State...even though all of those MAC teams would lose to nearly any of the FCS playoff-worthy teams.

I'll be with you for this game... noted N Dakota State didn't play a FBS team this year, FBS must know that they ain't really an FCS teamxshhhx

ST_Lawson
December 14th, 2017, 01:56 PM
I'll be with you for this game... noted N Dakota State didn't play a FBS team this year, FBS must know that they ain't really an FCS teamxshhhx

Actually, FBS is taking a hiatus from scheduling NDSU. Guess they finally got around to reading that article that SBNation put out: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/30/6086977/north-dakota-state-fcs-fbs-STOP-PLAYING-THEM
NDSU's next scheduled FBS game is at Oregon in 2020.

Yea, NDSU right now is a good G5 team. On a really good year, could flirt with the edges of the top 25, and in a year that would be considered a "down year" for them lately, would still likely have a winning record and be bowl eligible. Their average attendance is higher than the average attendance than the MAC or Sun Belt, and the MAC, for the most part, only pays their coaches slightly more than NDSU does. That's not to say that a good FCS school can't occasionally reach up and hand them an upset, but that isn't a common thing. JMU seems to be on par with that as well...great attendance, great stadium, great team.

Grizzlies82
December 14th, 2017, 03:51 PM

Old jokes can make the best jokes. Nicely done.

Twentysix
December 15th, 2017, 01:10 AM
Sagarin predicts SDSU would win by 3 points in Lincoln if they were playing each other this weekend. LOLThat's actually kind of damning.

SDSU is probably their all time best rn and nebraska is dog ****.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
December 15th, 2017, 02:03 AM
That's actually kind of damning.

SDSU is probably their all time best rn and nebraska is dog ****.

I’m becoming more and more convinced that NDSU fans get more erections when thinking of ways to try to take digs at SDSU than they do from women.

Twentysix
December 15th, 2017, 04:28 AM
I’m becoming more and more convinced that NDSU fans get more erections when thinking of ways to try to take digs at SDSU than they do from women.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkTry to be realistic. Nebraska is 4-8 this year and SDSU is playing in a semifinal.

uni88
December 15th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Try to be realistic. Nebraska is 4-8 this year and SDSU is playing in a semifinal.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TapatalkTranslation:. Please don't cock block my masturbation humor. :D

Green1
December 15th, 2017, 09:03 AM

Why are you picturing NDSU fans getting erections? xlovex

Not that there is anything wrong with that.... xwhistlex

BisonBacker
December 15th, 2017, 09:06 AM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRvjNO13Jjbs153mswiIsydQU7R6PXk Pv1AYYlzHkfDV76jJ82

BisonBacker
December 15th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Why are you picturing NDSU fans getting erections? xlovex

Not that there is anything wrong with that.... xwhistlex

LOL

Bison56
December 15th, 2017, 10:35 AM

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/legomessageboards/images/8/81/And.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150201114959 (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjjme-uuYzYAhVY9WMKHdqwBVoQjRx6BAgAEAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Flegomessageboards.wikia.com%2Fwik i%2FFile%3AAnd.gif&psig=AOvVaw2tv-7Ep0r7yz4Ow6hHdP4R&ust=1513442113372153)

POD Knows
December 15th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt is a mighty aphrodisiac, I must say.

oilcan
December 15th, 2017, 05:11 PM
We will see what happens as the Jacks have had mixed results in the past in Lincoln. Need to watch the quality of player commitments that will happen after this deeper run in the playoffs.

centennial
December 15th, 2017, 06:12 PM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/17/article-2087621-0F7E4CCB00000578-805_468x529.jpg

mmiller_34
December 15th, 2017, 09:31 PM
We are a cupcake. Just watch what happens tomorrow.

CappinHard
December 16th, 2017, 12:48 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/17/article-2087621-0F7E4CCB00000578-805_468x529.jpg

Is this an advertisement for prostitution in North Dakota?

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 01:00 AM
ND for slammed for this ad. Yup, that's what it looked like.

dgtw
December 16th, 2017, 01:16 AM
How is Rutgers a P5 school? Are they good at anything??

They are in the New York media market. Never mind nobody in NYC cares that much about college football, especially Rutgers.

caribbeanhen
December 16th, 2017, 06:58 AM
They are in the New York media market. Never mind nobody in NYC cares that much about college football, especially Rutgers.

wrong

Redfield10
December 16th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Interesting notes:

SDSU lost 17-3 last time they played Nebraska and that's when Nebraska was pretty good and SDSU not even close to where they are now. Ida bet the farm that this year the Jacks would have beat Nebraska. NDSU has like 7 straight wins over FBS Schools including the last one Iowa in Iowa and Kansas State at KState the year after they won their conference. And SDSU beat the Bison the last two times they've played. Just sayin'....

Redfield10
December 16th, 2017, 10:06 AM

Interesting notes:

SDSU would have been favored against Nebraska this year. Last time they played it was 17-3 in Lincolcn, but game was much closer. NDSU has beat 7 straight FBS programs all on the road and SDSU has beaten NDSU twice in a row. SDSU is a MUCH better team that lost 17-3 in Lincoln and the Hukiers are a MUCH worse team.

Elvis was a Bison
December 17th, 2017, 11:02 PM
SDSU would have been favored against Nebraska this year. Last time they played it was 17-3 in Lincolcn, but game was much closer. NDSU has beat 7 straight FBS programs all on the road and SDSU has beaten NDSU twice in a row. SDSU is a MUCH better team that lost 17-3 in Lincoln and the Hukiers are a MUCH worse team.

Forget about last years playoff game, did ya???

Christiank22
December 18th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Forget about last years playoff game, did ya???That doesn't count cuz it doesn't fit the narrative he's going for here :)

BisonBacker
December 18th, 2017, 08:39 AM
NBC doesn’t know crap about FCS teams

Apparently they did xrolleyesx

Hammerhead
December 19th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Using the Sagarin ratings at the end of each season, Nebraska would have been favored by no more than 17 points in any season which is hardly a "cupcake" considering how bad some FBS teams are.

Gangtackle11
December 19th, 2017, 12:13 PM

Looks is more like a livestock auction. xpeacex