PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Mike Ayers is going to hang up the whistle

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 13th, 2017, 09:34 AM
I know we have the coaching carousel thread, but this is big news. Probably the longest-tenured coach in all of Division I. He turned a nothing program in a national power. Truly the end of an era.

jmufan999
December 13th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I know we have the coaching carousel thread, but this is big news. Probably the longest-tenured coach in all of Division I. He turned a nothing program in a national power. Truly the end of an era.

not longer than Jimmye Laycock, but still an insanely long time. fantastic coach, i wish him well.

PantherRob82
December 13th, 2017, 09:53 AM
With this be the end of the triple option at Wofford?

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 13th, 2017, 09:58 AM
With this be the end of the triple option at Wofford?

I would think Wade Lang (current OC) is a front-runner for the job.

Bison56
December 13th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Class act, I wish him well in his retirement.

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2017, 11:06 AM
This is a very sad day for me. Obviously Mike has earned his retirement and I wish him nothing but the best, but he will leave a huge void to fill. I can only hope his successor can keep the program at a high level.

walliver
December 13th, 2017, 11:20 AM
He will be missed, but at least he is leaving on his own terms.

Too many older coaches hand around after the fire has dimmed and their programs suffer from it.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2017, 11:21 AM
This is a very sad day for me. Obviously Mike has earned his retirement and I wish him nothing but the best, but he will leave a huge void to fill. I can only hope his successor can keep the program at a high level.

I respect Ayers as a great coach. Perhaps the best FCS coach in the country.

I do think it has to be a bit of a sad, yet expected outcome for Wofford fans. Replacing "the man" is not going to be easy.

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Breaking my offseason hibernation from posting here for this thread:

I have mixed feelings. It's time, I think, for a change and I think this is the best way

To be clear, Mike Ayers is the reason Wofford is where it is, not just as a football program but as an athletic program. Being FCS gave us revenue opportunities to reinvest in our facilities and be successful in other sports like basketball. In a program at a small program like Wofford with a small endowment relative to similar schools, pitching to wealthy boosters I would imagine is a major part of our revenue stream. You can't do that successfully without success, and that's something that Mike Ayers brought to the table. Without coach Ayers, we're not 5x socon champion in a span of 15 years (Mike Ayers was in the Socon 20 years and won it 1/4 of the time, which is pretty commendable considering how strong the conference is/was when we got in).

So, when I say mix feelings, to be clear I'm not "glad" he's gone. Far from it. It's just complicated. I have personal reservations about relying on the option as a successful program (I've shared it here and on terrierfans). Having said that, it worked (we won the socon outright this year!) and though we may have made mistakes in the last few years, anyone wanting the coaches to fired or resign or even retire is a class A dip****. With *that* said, Ayers is 69 years old and you can't really coach forever. What's more, the Southern Conference and Wofford College's football program are a lot different than they were 10 years ago, let alone 30.

I think Mike Ayers is a GOAT, a hall of famer, etc. But I think most importantly he was the kind of coach we needed to be successful at the FCS level. He's the foundation we have and will build upon. I'd say right now, a better metric for Wofford isn't who we are and how we match up nationally, so much as how we match up with private schools. Not to detract from the thread, but I'd say Wofford is a solid #4, behind Furman, Villanova and Richmond in terms of a football program among private schools. What differentiates us from them is that they have proven they can win with whatever system they want and they also have a national title. So when I say I have mixed feelings, I mean I'm grateful for the joyful memories Mike Ayers has brought us, but given his age, my reservation about the option and evidence that it's not necessary to be successful or recruit for a winning team of Wofford's market segment, I'm not *too* down about this.

But what comes next is uncertainty and that can be unsettling. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. It's possible the next guy we hire lays an egg. It's also possible he wins a national title. I may be critical of where we are right now, but I know how bad (and fast) it can get.

If the new guy is Wade Lang, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing changes and I wouldn't be surprised if we made changes in our offense, either doubling down on the option or going to a more fast-pace balanced offense. No one knows. But maybe they'll say at the press conference today.

Professor Chaos
December 13th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Good luck and happy retirement Coach Ayers. Some coaches may have been with other schools longer but how many other coaches ushered a program through two reclassifications (I believe Wofford was NAIA when he took over)?

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Yeah. His first year was our first year in DII (1988). He transitioned us to I-AA in 1995 and into the socon in 1997.

Mike Ayers was in the Socon 20 years and won the title 5 times. So one in four years was a socon title.

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 12:22 PM
Preview of the press conference in 8 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAacUTsOjv4

Sundog
December 13th, 2017, 12:23 PM
His comments and demeanor in the various media coverages of Wofford/NDSU, as well as his players and their efforts, confirmed for me that he is a class act. Sorry that we had to send him out with a loss. Happy that his final game reflected the advancement of his team in the semis in the playoffs. Best to you, Mike.

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Here's the video, for those interested.

https://www.facebook.com/WoffordTerriers/videos/10155176037788097/?notif_id=1513189754658119&notif_t=live_video

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Offensive Coordinator Wade Lang will be the interim head coach.

The fact that he hasn't been immediately named head coach means that it wasn't a given like many such as myself thought it was

ASU33
December 13th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Ayers is definitely one of the legends in our sport. I wish him a happy retirement, he's earned it!

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Offensive Coordinator Wade Lang will be the interim head coach.

The fact that he hasn't been immediately named head coach means that it wasn't a given like many such as myself thought it was

I imagine they have to do some about of due diligence. Maybe Les Miles will call and be willing to work for a paycut because he likes the Beacon?

walliver
December 13th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Yeah. His first year was our first year in DII (1988). He transitioned us to I-AA in 1995 and into the socon in 1997.

Mike Ayers was in the Socon 20 years and won the title 5 times. So one in four years was a socon title.

Actually he was in the SoCon for 23 years, but 3 of those were at ETSU (but that really shouldn't count).

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Knowing how Wofford operates, I give it a 98% chance we hire on staff.

I'd say the frontrunners are coach Lang (OC and interim HC), Coach Nash (OL) and Coach Wood (DC).

The last one may be a wildcard, but it makes sense because I think we want to keep our DL coach and a good way to do that is promote him to DC (Coach Wood is also the son of a dean). If we go with Lang, it's because of his tenure. If we go with Nash, it's because Lang doesn't want the job (apparently he's the kind of guy who doesn't like the spotlight) and we want someone long term. Both Nash and Wood are pretty young, I want to say in their mid to late 30s.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Knowing how Wofford operates, I give it a 98% chance we hire on staff.

I'd say the frontrunners are coach Lang (OC and interim HC), Coach Nash (OL) and Coach Wood (DC).

The last one may be a wildcard, but it makes sense because I think we want to keep our DL coach and a good way to do that is promote him to DC (Coach Wood is also the son of a dean). If we go with Lang, it's because of his tenure. If we go with Nash, it's because Lang doesn't want the job (apparently he's the kind of guy who doesn't like the spotlight) and we want someone long term. Both Nash and Wood are pretty young, I want to say in their mid to late 30s.

This gets complicated. I think the best case for Wofford is to probably keep things as cohesive as possible. The Terriers have built an entire program based on stability.

I anticipate that Ayers retirement is a contingency they had planned for, though.

walliver
December 13th, 2017, 01:25 PM
We likely will launch a "national search". After discussing matters for a few weeks or days, we will only interview candidates who are capable of walking from their current offices to the AD's office.
Wade Lang has been around a long time and would appear to be the guy who "earned" the spot with his loyalty, but isn't the best fit for the job. As OC, he struggles with play-calling (we waste 2-3 timeouts every game because we can't get a play in). In his favor, he is in his late 50's and unlikely to go anywhere else. Eric Nash would be my preference. He is well-respected by his players. Shiel Woods is a long-shot. He has one year of experience at DC.

My ideal choice would be Nate Woody, currently DC at App State. He is in his late 50's, and head coaching opportunities may not be plentiful down the road, but, he would likely take a pay cut and may have a chance at the App job if Satterfield moves up (or follow Satterfield to a bigger job).

All of the likely coaches played at Wofford, and Nash and Woods played for Mike Ayers.

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 01:30 PM
This gets complicated. I think the best case for Wofford is to probably keep things as cohesive as possible. The Terriers have built an entire program based on stability.

I anticipate that Ayers retirement is a contingency they had planned for, though.

Yeah, which is why I'm surprised that, if they are hiring on staff, they didn't announce his successor immediately. So this is either planned shoulder shrugging or not

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2017, 01:54 PM
We likely will launch a "national search". After discussing matters for a few weeks or days, we will only interview candidates who are capable of walking from their current offices to the AD's office.
Wade Lang has been around a long time and would appear to be the guy who "earned" the spot with his loyalty, but isn't the best fit for the job. As OC, he struggles with play-calling (we waste 2-3 timeouts every game because we can't get a play in). In his favor, he is in his late 50's and unlikely to go anywhere else. Eric Nash would be my preference. He is well-respected by his players. Shiel Woods is a long-shot. He has one year of experience at DC.

My ideal choice would be Nate Woody, currently DC at App State. He is in his late 50's, and head coaching opportunities may not be plentiful down the road, but, he would likely take a pay cut and may have a chance at the App job if Satterfield moves up (or follow Satterfield to a bigger job).

All of the likely coaches played at Wofford, and Nash and Woods played for Mike Ayers.

I'll be fine so long as Wofford keeps its hands off the Furman staff.

Bisonator
December 13th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I wish Coach Ayers a happy retirement. He was a class act.

ElCid
December 13th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Wow, big news. But I think everyone knew he would hang it up pretty soon. He knows how to coach. His game management has always been pretty darn good, that is for sure. Wofford won a bunch of games that they wouldn't have if not for his skill. It might be wishful thinking, but not sure Wofford will stay near the top as a result, at least for a little bit. Maybe if they get a really good coach, but I think Ayers was that impactful. It is a little surprising that they did not go with OC for sure. Is it just due diligence or is he not a fit for head coach? Not stirring up anything, but just curious.

Daytripper
December 13th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Is he staying around the program in any capacity? Is he planning on doing radio or other media? Or is just going to kick back and enjoy Natty Lites while fishing?

Catamount87
December 13th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Not to mention his inability to really ever effectively use or have his players execute the forward pass in that option system. Y'all seem to throw at some ideal times only to be bitten by the lack of execution which really was more a lack of practicing it (IMHO). I think a coach that can effectively implement a few strong pass plays into that offense will take the program up another notch.

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2017, 02:54 PM
...and, now, having been hired on 1/20/2011, Coach Bobby Lamb of Mercer, is the ‘Dean’ of SoCon Football Head Coaches.

That seems kind of strange, doesn’t it?

Best wishes to Coach Ayers and his family in retirement. He has been a great Coach, and, by all accounts, an even better man.

That said, I won’t miss him 1 little bit. He broke my heart 3 friggin’ times this year. Enough is enough!!!

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Not to mention his inability to really ever effectively use or have his players execute the forward pass in that option system. Y'all seem to throw at some ideal times only to be bitten by the lack of execution which really was more a lack of practicing it (IMHO). I think a coach that can effectively implement a few strong pass plays into that offense will take the program up another notch.

I think there's an open question on that for Wofford. The Terriers exist somewhere between a spread team and an flexbone option. I have to think at some point they just want to commit to being an option team or commit to being a spread team.

Wofford fans are not as emotionally tied to the option as the crowd in Statesboro. Maybe a defensive-minded coach and some new ideas on offense would be the ticket.

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2017, 02:59 PM
...and, now, having been hired on 1/20/2011, Bobby Lamb of Mercer is the ‘dean’ of SoCon Football Head Coaches.

That seems kind of strange, doesn’t it.

Best wishes to Coach Ayers and his family in retirement. He has been a great Coach, and, by all accounts, an even better man.

That said, I won’t miss him 1 little bit. He broke my heart 3 friggin’ times this year. Enough is enough!!!

I don't put much thought into this, but when Lamb was hired he didn't coach a SoCon team. Mercer wasn't in the SoCon until 2013. Mark Speir took over WCU's program in 2012. Wouldn't he be a longer tenured SoCon coach?

FUBeAR
December 13th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I don't put much thought into this, but when Lamb was hired he didn't coach a SoCon team. Mercer wasn't in the SoCon until 2013. Mark Speir took over WCU's program in 2012. Wouldn't he be a longer tenured SoCon coach?

to-may-to, to-mah-to

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 13th, 2017, 03:09 PM
So, any chance Wofford will hire Nate Woody away from App State while retaining Wade Lang? That could be a great pair to keep up what Ayers has built, plus it'll get Woody out of Boone.

woffordgrad94
December 13th, 2017, 03:20 PM
I cried today while I listened to the Mike Ayers press conference this afternoon. I felt like a kid who just woke up to a bag of switches under the tree lump of coal in his stocking on Christmas morning! I know that sounds silly and maybe a bit selfish but I just hate the fact that he is retiring from Wofford- he just simply means THAT much to the program and is an absolutely huge part of its success! But at the same time, I appreciate that Ayers had earned the right to do this. He is a man like the rest of us and he wants to enjoy his life now- and I definitely wish him all the best. Can Wofford keep the program successful going forward? I do not know for sure. I have to believe that they can, but it is by no means a guarantee. Good decisions have to be made by the athletic department and then by the new coach(es).

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 04:34 PM
I think there's an open question on that for Wofford. The Terriers exist somewhere between a spread team and an flexbone option. I have to think at some point they just want to commit to being an option team or commit to being a spread team.

Wofford fans are not as emotionally tied to the option as the crowd in Statesboro. Maybe a defensive-minded coach and some new ideas on offense would be the ticket.

I'm apparently the only wofford fan unattached to the option.

Whoever the new coach is, I would like them to either get rid of the option or commit to it. Our inability to do either hurts us IMO. I'd like to see something new out there.

OL FU
December 13th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Great coach. Great person. I will miss him 364 days in the year

spdram
December 13th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Sorry to see him hang it up, but happy for him to be able to go out on top -- few get that chance

walliver
December 14th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Our presumed starting QB is a true option QB, and his likely backup is an Air Force transfer, so we'll likely see a lot of option next year. To be honest, we really haven't run the option well for a while as we have had trouble recruiting option QBs, as most high schools now run spread offenses. We have recruited spread-type QB's and tried to teach the option. That is not always easy to do. In fact, what I found most interesting about Blazejowski at FU is how well he picked up the option, as if he had run that offense for years.

Our passing game has suffered a lot from poor scheming. Generally, we only send one receiver downfield. That works when you surprise the defense, but is difficult when a pass is anticipated.

PaladinNation
December 14th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Our presumed starting QB is a true option QB, and his likely backup is an Air Force transfer, so we'll likely see a lot of option next year. To be honest, we really haven't run the option well for a while as we have had trouble recruiting option QBs, as most high schools now run spread offenses. We have recruited spread-type QB's and tried to teach the option. That is not always easy to do. In fact, what I found most interesting about Blazejowski at FU is how well he picked up the option, as if he had run that offense for years.

Our passing game has suffered a lot from poor scheming. Generally, we only send one receiver downfield. That works when you surprise the defense, but is difficult when a pass is anticipated.

You guys played Blaze very well in the playoff game.

Your points on QB are very interesting. Looks like Furman is planning on bringing in two quarterbacks in 2018 to go with redshirt Jemar Lincoln. Furman and Wofford have both offered Mountain Brook QB Hamp Sisson.

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2017, 01:26 PM

I loved watching Furman's offense operate this year. From what I could see, the Paladins essentially had a base set up plays that were run out of a myriad of different looks with a lot of "window dressing."

Later in the year, when they started to consistently see bigger and more physical defenses (Samford, Elon, Wofford), the offense slowed down. Those teams were able to control the line, limit the inside run game, which exposed Furman's lack of depth on the edges (pretty much just Darius Morehead). Pretty much everyone the last few games of the season threw everyone they had at the fullbacks and took away the pitch man. If anyone was going to beat them, it was going to have to be Blazejowski running it.

I'm interested to see how Furman's offense develops with a few more recruiting classes. R-Fr JeMar Lincoln looks like the eventual heir apparent to QB1, and he can really scoot. Furman just landed a commit from Darren Grainger, who looks a great deal like Tyrie Adam, but two inches taller.

I don't see Furman going full on flexbone option at any point. They are recruiting long QBs with big arms and a lot of speed. Yet to be determined whether those big arms can hit anyone in a Furman jersey, though.