PDA

View Full Version : JMU HC Mike Houston Signs 10 Year Extension

JmuSkinsfan
December 12th, 2017, 02:24 PM
http://jmusports.com/news/2017/12/12/mike-houston-signs-10-year-extension-as-head-coach-of-james-madison-football.aspx

"James Madison is a special place. Amanda, our boys and I want to be here and consider this home," Houston said. "JMU approached me in in the second half of the regular season to discuss an extended contract. During negotiations, there was significant interest from multiple FBS programs. Throughout the process, JMU was proactive in wanting to make a long-term commitment while ensuring that our staff could remain intact. I've turned down opportunities at the FBS level, and I did it because I believe in James Madison University. I believe in the leadership of Jeff Bourne, Senior Vice President Charlie King and President Jonathan Alger. I believe in their vision for our university and our athletics programs. I also believe in our student-athletes, everyone in athletics who supports us and the passionate fan base that cheers for us. I am committed to ensuring that the JMU football program is one that is a reflection of our outstanding institution. I'm committed to staying here because JMU is different."

Daytripper
December 12th, 2017, 02:27 PM
http://jmusports.com/news/2017/12/12/mike-houston-signs-10-year-extension-as-head-coach-of-james-madison-football.aspx

"James Madison is a special place. Amanda, our boys and I want to be here and consider this home," Houston said. "JMU approached me in in the second half of the regular season to discuss an extended contract. During negotiations, there was significant interest from multiple FBS programs. Throughout the process, JMU was proactive in wanting to make a long-term commitment while ensuring that our staff could remain intact. I've turned down opportunities at the FBS level, and I did it because I believe in James Madison University. I believe in the leadership of Jeff Bourne, Senior Vice President Charlie King and President Jonathan Alger. I believe in their vision for our university and our athletics programs. I also believe in our student-athletes, everyone in athletics who supports us and the passionate fan base that cheers for us. I am committed to ensuring that the JMU football program is one that is a reflection of our outstanding institution. I'm committed to staying here because JMU is different."

Well, that sucks for everybody except JMU...xlolx

jmu007
December 12th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Woot woot. Go Dukes!!!

PaladinFan
December 12th, 2017, 02:30 PM
As my friend noted, you only sign such extensions if the coach was planning on leaving.

Good for James Madison, but I don't think that it is any more likely that they are able retain Houston with the current salaries for coaches in FBS football.

th0m
December 12th, 2017, 02:32 PM
It will keep him at least one more year which is already a win in my book.

Bisonoline
December 12th, 2017, 02:34 PM

Until a better offer comes along.

jmu007
December 12th, 2017, 02:36 PM
What many are hopeful of, is that this extension will at least put to bed the idea of him leaving for a bottom tier G5 job.

kdinva
December 12th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Great for the Dukes.....any update on a time line for more seat expansion? maybe add 4,000 - 7,000 more seats to the East side?

mcveyrl
December 12th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Yea, this is exciting not because we think he will see the end of this contract but because he’s here for at least one more year.

FUBeAR
December 12th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Any thoughts as to what this MAY mean in terms of JMU moving to FBS?

With G5 Head Coaching Salaries being, what, 3x - 5x as much as FCS Head Coaching salaries, as good as Coach Houston's record has been and as much as he may love JMU, I don't guess they would/could pay that kind of multiple premium over market and I don't think he would lock himself into a completely un-buy-outable contract. Perhaps, though, he/they are drawing a "JMU to FBS OR No G5's" line in the sand though...pretty much saying..."either JMU moves to FBS OR don't bother knocking you G5's; it's FBS for JMU or P5 for me."

Just a thought. Off-base or possible?

dewey
December 12th, 2017, 02:45 PM

^^^^^Agreed. Even crappy G5 programs offer a lot more money.

Dewey

JmuSkinsfan
December 12th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Any thoughts as to what this MAY mean in terms of JMU moving to FBS?

Just a thought. Off-base or possible?

yeah, this is my senitment at least. Probably put a buy-out in place that makes it impossible for anyone not a P5 would tackle. And, with a young family, I could see Houston setting down some roots in Harrisonburg and trying to further create a powerhoues that gets him a P5 job (UVA, VT maybe?) in the next 3-4 years that would only require him to move his family 1 time. Rather than take a lower-level FBS job for 1-3 years, turn said program around, then get a big boy job. Just my $.02

Of course, could be the JMU is moving up option too, but JMU fans have been banging that drum since the new stadium was approved, so who knows.

th0m
December 12th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Great for the Dukes.....any update on a time line for more seat expansion? maybe add 4,000 - 7,000 more seats to the East side?

I really hope they knock down the (old) studentside and just bowl it in, but there is no indication that there is even a timeline for this. First on the agenda is a new basketball arena which will break geound soon. Bowling that part in will make the stadium look more uniform, and will prob add at least 4k. I don't really think there is the need for 29-30k at JMU yet. We probably could have used some more seats this year for the Gameday game (Villanova) and the Richmond game, the rest were near capacity but not sold out or only sold out in the days of the game.

Professor Chaos
December 12th, 2017, 02:47 PM
What many are hopeful of, is that this extension will at least put to bed the idea of him leaving for a bottom tier G5 job.
I would think that wouldn't have been much of a threat before either but good for JMU for rewarding his production.

The biggest thing here is what is his buyout? You can sign a coach to a 50 year contract but if he's good and his buyout is peanuts it might as well be a year to year contract. I believe former NDSU head coach Craig Bohl signed an 8 year extension less than a year before he left.

ElCid
December 12th, 2017, 02:59 PM

Its already been sucking us longer. Not that our coach is bad, he is good, but MH is probably better.

Bisonator
December 12th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Yeah I remember another coach who signed a lengthy extension and left the same year.xlolx

DirtyDukes
December 12th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Yeah I remember another coach who signed a lengthy extension and left the same year.xlolx

https://media.tenor.com/images/0e2b00a6075c15216713208a00ec498f/tenor.gif

jmufan999
December 12th, 2017, 03:09 PM
(most) JMU fans are not disillusioned. let me rephrase. some are not disillusioned. we know he could still leave. but he's here at least one more year and really solidifies recruiting and will give us a smooth transition to a new QB (and regardless of which one we choose, the new QB is going to be RI-DIC-U-LOUS).

centennial
December 12th, 2017, 03:42 PM
This move reeks of trying to extract a higher payout. Pretty standard across high level FCS and G5.

So looking at USA today the biggest payout is at Clemson - 40 million. About half way is about 1.5 million. That might protect you from the lowest level MAC, or Sun Belt teams. Anything under a million almost affords no protection from any G5 school.

As an example Bohl's payout at Wyoming is $9 million. That basically prevents him from going anywhere but Top 25 P5.

If Houston has a 3 million plus buyout then half of G5 is out.

iBOsbu
December 12th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I know some would say it’s bad for other CAA teams, but I think it’s great for CAA. Conference as a whole, it’s great that good coaches are staying. It will force other CAA programs to compete harder to match JMU’s aspiration and success. Bring it on Dukes.

katss07
December 12th, 2017, 03:48 PM
He’s gone by 2020

PurpleStreamers
December 12th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I know some would say it’s bad for other CAA teams, but I think it’s great for CAA. Conference as a whole, it’s great that good coaches are staying. It will force other CAA programs to compete harder to match JMU’s aspiration and success. Bring it on Dukes.

Well said. Priore seems to be doing a great job on Long Island and Cignetti at Elon looks like a winner too. Obviously Rocco at UD and Heusman at UR will likely get time to see if they can rebuild those two proud programs to the next tier. I know McDonnell and Laycock seem like they'll coach forever, but I do wonder what schools like UNH and W&M can do to keep with the Jones' so to speak in this iteration of the CAA.

RootinFerDukes
December 12th, 2017, 06:04 PM

We expanded the current stadium completely in 2011 and there has been no formal announcement of the next phase since. The university actually just released an official update on many new construction projects across campus and bridgeforth stadium expansion was not part of it.

From an athletic facility standpoint, the next project is building the new union bank and trust center for our basketball programs. It'll be a multi-purpose facility. They're going to turn the old convocation center into an indoor practice facility for all sports.

cx500d
December 12th, 2017, 06:04 PM

ASU33
December 12th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Great news for the Dukes!

BEAR
December 12th, 2017, 06:35 PM
He’s gone by 2020

He wins this year he will be gone by 2019. Too many FBS openings...

CvilleDuke
December 12th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Woohooo! Should help with recruiting, no more whispers that he is gone after this season.

BisonFan02
December 12th, 2017, 10:29 PM
He's already gone. Now the school gets a buyout when he goes.

UNHWildcat18
December 13th, 2017, 06:23 PM
He'll go for a P5 team or a top level job in the AAC IMO other than that we are happy to have him here in the CAA. Like posters mentioned above it will only help the conference as a whole.

Bisonator
December 13th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Any details on the contract?

BNATION
December 13th, 2017, 08:31 PM
lol until someone big comes calling with 3-4 mill and he is gone gone gone lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMad03
December 13th, 2017, 08:31 PM

His previous contract was until 2021, so nice try.
Since you seem to have a pulse on the situation, where is he going? Lemme guess... you don't know, but you know he's gone.
If you want to put a wager on it, I GUARANTEE he'll be the JMU coach next season.

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Since you seem to have a pulse on the situation, where is he going? Lemme guess... you don't know, but you know he's gone.
If you want to put a wager on it, I GUARANTEE he'll be the JMU coach next season.

Bohl for NDSU signed a long term extension through 2021 on January of 2013...he was gone in December after the second round game. I wouldn't wipe my ass with a college HC contract extension.

DirtyDukes
December 13th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Mike Houston has more foresight than Craig Bohl

BisonFan02
December 13th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Mike Houston has more foresight than Craig Bohl

Ha! xlolx Money talks...**** walks.

IBleedYellow
December 13th, 2017, 10:21 PM
All Houston is doing here is looking out for JMU by signing this....and not even close to what you guys think.

He probably agreed to a bit of a salary bump but a pretty hefty buyout. I'd bet somewhere in the 500-600k range. So when he leaves, which he will, JMU gets paid. Handsomely.

So he is helping y'all, but I bet he's gone before next season ends.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bison56
December 14th, 2017, 06:23 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

SkinsWizDukes
December 14th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Guys, obviously since a coach left God's gift to earth, the Bison, there's no way that another coach would stay at a different school for a longer amount of time.

Bison56
December 14th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Guys, obviously since a coach left God's gift to earth, the Bison, there's no way that another coach would stay at a different school for a longer amount of time.

Exactly

Reign of Terrier
December 14th, 2017, 08:17 AM
This is a signal that Houston will only leave for a P5 position or a high high high end G5 position (but even then, unlikely)

Professor Chaos
December 14th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Was there ever any details on the specifics of the contract extension like salary or buyout increase? For all the talk about schools protecting themselves with buyouts the last time Klieman signed an extension with NDSU his buyout went down from $300K to $150K. So I don't know if it's a sure bet that Houston's buyout went up here.

th0m
December 14th, 2017, 09:35 AM
No details yet about salary or buyout. Last contract was through 2021 with 375k base and 87,5k max bonus. For that contract I could not find any details about buyouts or retention bonuses, only that they were in place.

mcveyrl
December 14th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Still no details, but a good WaPo story on Houston and his mindset:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/14/its-not-just-fbs-at-all-costs-mike-houston-on-re-upping-with-james-madison/?utm_term=.f8740ca990ae

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Very glad this happened. I know it doesn't guarantee anything beyond Frisco, but I have to believe this locks him in through next season. I have no illusions that he would stay if the AAC (less ECU this year) comes calling; however, I think the school has made it very difficult for the Sun-Belt or C-USA schools to pry him out of Harrisonburg. I would also be very surprised if he were to go to the MW or MAC, though almost anything is possible these days.

Thankful for what Coach Withers did to 'bring the juice' back to Bridgeforth Stadium, but more thankful he felt Texas State was a step onto greener grass.

Happy to have Coach Houston and the staff he brought in to coach the Dukes. From an outsider's perspective, he seems to be molding these young men into fantastic players and citizens.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2017, 12:43 PM

Bingo! And it will be considered a nominal amount where he'll end up.

Hammerhead
December 19th, 2017, 01:02 PM
His buyout will be chump change for many FBS booster clubs. Nebraska could be paying two former coaches around $3.5 Million to not coach the Huskers next season.

Bisonator
December 19th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Curious to hear from JMU fans if Houston was to leave who would be the next man up?

SkinsWizDukes
December 19th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Curious to hear from JMU fans if Houston was to leave who would be the next man up?

I doubt it would be anyone on the current staff. They'd have a search committee like they did when Withers bolted.

centennial
December 19th, 2017, 01:12 PM
Very glad this happened. I know it doesn't guarantee anything beyond Frisco, but I have to believe this locks him in through next season. I have no illusions that he would stay if the AAC (less ECU this year) comes calling; however, I think the school has made it very difficult for the Sun-Belt or C-USA schools to pry him out of Harrisonburg. I would also be very surprised if he were to go to the MW or MAC, though almost anything is possible these days.

Thankful for what Coach Withers did to 'bring the juice' back to Bridgeforth Stadium, but more thankful he felt Texas State was a step onto greener grass.

Happy to have Coach Houston and the staff he brought in to coach the Dukes. From an outsider's perspective, he seems to be molding these young men into fantastic players and citizens.
Do you know how much some schools past. Even in the Sun Belt and CUSA he could x3-x4 his income.

mcveyrl
December 19th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Do you know how much some schools past. Even in the Sun Belt and CUSA he could x3-x4 his income.

I think the idea is that the buyout might be a little steep for SB and CUSA teams to pay as an entry fee before they even get to salary - even though I don’t think we know exactly what the buyout would be.

Nobody in those conferences makes 4x his salary.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2017, 01:25 PM
I'm betting that Mike Houston will not jump for an offer like Withers took, But when the right one comes a long, and it will sooner rather than later, he'll move. "My kids like their elementary school", and "my wife already bought new curtains" are not reasons for an intelligent, forward thinking, and ambitious person to turn down a multi-million dollar a year pay raise. This guy clearly has a great mind, both for building a program and game planning. He's one heck of a motivator and already better at dealing with the press and representing his school than virtually any of the FBS coaches we so frequently see on TV. He is going to jump two levels up next move and he'll likely have choices - or otherwise the people making these hiring decisions must be a lot stupider than I think.

mcveyrl
December 19th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I'm betting that Mike Houston will not jump for an offer like Withers took, But when the right one comes a long, and it will sooner rather than later, he'll move. "My kids like their elementary school", and "my wife already bought new curtains" are not reasons for an intelligent, forward thinking, and ambitious person to turn down a multi-million dollar a year pay raise. This guy clearly has a great mind, both for building a program and game planning. He's one heck of a motivator and already better at dealing with the press and representing his school than virtually any of the FBS coaches we so frequently see on TV. He is going to jump two levels up next move and he'll likely have choices - or otherwise the people making these hiring decisions must be a lot stupider than I think.

Yea, I took his “it’s going to take something special” comment to mean he has a specific scenario in mind that just hasn’t materialized. Who knows what that is, but he already knows I’m sure.

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2017, 01:34 PM

I know a couple of SBC/C-USA schools have put up some big numbers -- that's why I didn't put out absolutes in terms of who could get him to take their job. He seems to genuinely like JMU the school & its students as much as he likes JMU the team & its players. I'm sure Coach Bohl did as well and said many of the same type things.

I'm too old, jaded, and cynical to think he'll stay too long. There aren't many Ayers (sp?) and Laycock types in football anymore. I'll just enjoy the ride as long as he hangs around, then root for the next set of coaches and players.

SkinsWizDukes
December 19th, 2017, 01:51 PM
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/houston-s-new-deal-includes-indoor-practice-facility-for-james-madison

Salary bumps up 15K to 390K

Also receives 125K/year from privately funded pay raised by anonymous donors which means his yearly pay before incentives is 515K

Team gets a temporary indoor practice facility

mcveyrl
December 19th, 2017, 01:51 PM
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/houston-s-new-deal-includes-indoor-practice-facility-for-james-madison

Some new details:

Guaranteed indoor practice facility by August camp - that will last until old basketball arena is renovated.

Modest pay increase to $390,000...until you get to the part where he also gets paid $125,000 per year from anonymous sources.

Edit: Damn you SkinsWizDukes.

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2017, 01:53 PM

Some new details:

Guaranteed indoor practice facility by August camp - that will last until old basketball arena is renovated.

Modest pay increase to $390,000...until you get to the part where he also gets paid $125,000 per year from anonymous sources.

Impressive! I'd assume there's some additional bonuses for media appearances and conference title/postseason performance. That should put him at the top of the FCS in terms of compensation I would think.

centennial
December 19th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I think the idea is that the buyout might be a little steep for SB and CUSA teams to pay as an entry fee before they even get to salary - even though I don’t think we know exactly what the buyout would be.

Nobody in those conferences makes 4x his salary.

His salary of 375k. That might make him the one of the highest paid in the FCS. Coach K makes close to Houston.

Western Michigan has a 800k, Toledo 700k, NIU 623k.

Mountain West has 5 over a million. And 4 above 1.4 million. Easily 3x. Bohl made 1.41 million + 213k bonus last year.

CUSA has 6 over 800k. 1 over million.

Sun belt has 1 over million, 2 in 800-700k all with another 50-100k bonuses.

American- everyone is over a million, with 6 over 1.75.

All these universities can steal Houston.

mcveyrl
December 19th, 2017, 01:58 PM
His salary of 375k. That might make him the one of the highest paid in the FCS. Coach K makes close to Houston.

Western Michigan has a 800k, Toledo 700k, NIU 623k.

Mountain West has 5 over a million. And 4 above 1.4 million. Easily 3x. Bohl made 1.41 million + 213k bonus last year.

CUSA has 6 over 800k. 1 over million.

Sun belt has 1 over million, 2 in 800-700k all with another 50-100k bonuses.

American- everyone is over a million, with 6 over 1.75.

All these universities can steal Houston.

I thought you were saying SB and CUSA.

Moot point now. New salary is $515K

centennial
December 19th, 2017, 02:01 PM
I thought you were saying SB and CUSA.

Moot point now. New salary is $515K

No his base is 390k if what written above is true. All these quoted are base salaries. Please show me an article showing his base is 515k.

Edit: looking at that article looks like his salary is 515k. Never mind me.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2017, 02:40 PM

Some new details:

Are the "anonymous sources" a party in the contract?

mcveyrl
December 19th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Are the "anonymous sources" a party in the contract?

All I know is what the story says. 125K annually from “anonymous” donors.

dewey
December 19th, 2017, 10:23 PM
A Fargo Forum writer did an article about coach Houston's contract extension details and NDSU coach Klieman's contract.

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2017/12/19/based-on-new-contracts-buyout-clause-it-appears-mike-houston-will-be-james-madisons-coach-for-awhile/

Dewey

JayMYou
December 19th, 2017, 11:26 PM
A Fargo Forum writer did an article about coach Houston's contract extension details and NDSU coach Klieman's contract.

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2017/12/19/based-on-new-contracts-buyout-clause-it-appears-mike-houston-will-be-james-madisons-coach-for-awhile/

Dewey

I like Coach Klieman a lot, wish you guys luck in keeping him as long as possible. Did you guys know as Bohl was getting ready to leave that Klieman was a clear heir apparent? Did Bohl acquiesce and "let" CK stay behind so he'd be able to further his career, or did Bohl have no intention taking him with?

If Klieman were to go, is there another clear choice in the wings? If not, y'all should do whatever you can to keep him. Not worth risking even a year or two worth of turmoil to kill the momentum you have going. Or worse, bring on a coach that wreaks havoc before you realize he's not a good fit.

TheKingpin28
December 19th, 2017, 11:58 PM
I like Coach Klieman a lot, wish you guys luck in keeping him as long as possible. Did you guys know as Bohl was getting ready to leave that Klieman was a clear heir apparent? Did Bohl acquiesce and "let" CK stay behind so he'd be able to further his career, or did Bohl have no intention taking him with?

If Klieman were to go, is there another clear choice in the wings? If not, y'all should do whatever you can to keep him. Not worth risking even a year or two worth of turmoil to kill the momentum you have going. Or worse, bring on a coach that wreaks havoc before you realize he's not a good fit.

From what I understood as to what went down, Bohl expected everyone to go with him but Klieman and Kramer (arguably the biggest reason why NDSU is so successful) said no and stayed behind and instead, accepted the job. Klieman stayed and this created some animosity (at least that is how I interpreted it) between the two as he believed Klieman was loyal to Bohl first and NDSU second.

I would guess Entz would be the next coach up followed by Goeser and/or Klanderman and then after that, it would get dicey as I know NDSU wants defensive minded coaches running the show and Messingham is too new and I do not know if Hedberg could step up to that roll. I know Roehl (arguably NDSUs best running back in the D1 era) would be a fan favorite but I do not know if he has enough links/connections/years to get the job. Atif Austin has some serious connections with Klieman so I could see him leaving with him if he got a different gig. I personally think Buddha Williams would be a strong candidate for a promotion with what he has done with the loss Menard who was a lock for a 1st or 2nd team All American and getting the most out of the younger Tuszka brother as well as giving Jones and Butler more PT and they have done nothing less than spectacular.

In order of Coaches leaving I would say this:

Entz (He won't be here for more than 2 more years as he is good and look for him to be a potential replacement for Farley is he goes, but clenz would know more than me about this)

Messingham (He re-established himself as a solid OC with how he got this offense to be #1 in yards per play and opened up the TE/PA game)

Klanderman/Goeser (One or the other I think will leave with the other one being the next DC when Entz leaves)

Klieman/Austin (I think this would be a package)

Williams

Roehl/Hedberg (Roehl truly loves Fargo and I think Hedberg is at an age where he is done coaching elsewhere and NDSU is one of a few FCS schools that can afford a QB coach)

Shepherd

That is just my take though.

dewey
December 20th, 2017, 03:39 AM

I have meet coach Klieman briefly at Bison fan day a few times and he has been very nice to myself and 2 of my boys that were with me.

I hope NDSU signs CK to a contract extension with some similar buyout clauses to coach Houston's.

As for Bohl there were some rumors the night NDSU throttled Coastal Carolina and it was announced the next day he was leaving for Wyoming. Jeff Kolpack wrote a book that was a behimd the scenes documentary of NDSU football from 2002 or so until 2014. In that book he wrote that Bohl expected Klieman to go with him. When the previous AD found out Bohl was leaving he moved quickly to lock up Klieman as the new head coach.

There was quite the rift between the coaches that were leaving and the ones that stayed. All of this in the midst of an undefeated National Title run. The coaches from both sides were trying to lock up recruits. Klieman has said one of the biggest recruits was Easton Stick.

Like Kingpin said I think Matt Entz would be the first logical step if Klieman moved on.

One thing I have been amazed with is how consistent the coaching staff has been.

NDSU has lost 1 coach during Klieman's 4 years as head coach.

Everything I have read says that the coaches and their families like Fargo.

I like coach Houston's style (not shocking considering how similarly both teams are built) and I hope BOTH coaches stay at their respective schools for a long time.

Congrats to coach Houston on a much deserved contract extension.

Dewey

JayMYou
December 20th, 2017, 01:27 PM
I have meet coach Klieman briefly at Bison fan day a few times and he has been very nice to myself and 2 of my boys that were with me.

I hope NDSU signs CK to a contract extension with some similar buyout clauses to coach Houston's.

As for Bohl there were some rumors the night NDSU throttled Coastal Carolina and it was announced the next day he was leaving for Wyoming. Jeff Kolpack wrote a book that was a behimd the scenes documentary of NDSU football from 2002 or so until 2014. In that book he wrote that Bohl expected Klieman to go with him. When the previous AD found out Bohl was leaving he moved quickly to lock up Klieman as the new head coach.

There was quite the rift between the coaches that were leaving and the ones that stayed. All of this in the midst of an undefeated National Title run. The coaches from both sides were trying to lock up recruits. Klieman has said one of the biggest recruits was Easton Stick.

Like Kingpin said I think Matt Entz would be the first logical step if Klieman moved on.

One thing I have been amazed with is how consistent the coaching staff has been.

I like coach Houston's style (not shocking considering how similarly both teams are built) and I hope BOTH coaches stay at their respective schools for a long time.

Dewey

Are there any current "coaches on the rise" in FCS/D2 that fit the NDSU mold? We lucked out with Houston, but I'm not sure anyone on his staff is a young mini version of him that we'd want to hire.

dewey
December 20th, 2017, 01:30 PM
That is a tough question and I do not know coaches in the region well enough to say.

I personally think tjat if Klieman left that NDSU would hire internally to keep continuity in the program.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bisonator
December 20th, 2017, 02:11 PM

Dewey
Only thing to add is it was 2 coaches that have left. Polasek and Cain.

I'm not as high on Entz to be the next HC as some. Not sure who would be a great candidate. There are some young guys that maybe in a few more years. Hopefully we keep Klieman for awhile.

Bisonator
December 20th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Are there any current "coaches on the rise" in FCS/D2 that fit the NDSU mold? We lucked out with Houston, but I'm not sure anyone on his staff is a young mini version of him that we'd want to hire.
Well as a matter of fact there is one right across the river from Fargo.......:)

dewey
December 20th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Well as a matter of fact there is one right across the river from Fargo.......:)Terry Horan at Concordia Moorhead:-)

Dewey

Bisonator
December 20th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Terry Horan at Concordia Moorhead:-)

Dewey

Terry's a class act. xthumbsupx

centennial
December 20th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Scottie Hazelton. DC at Wyoming.

Previous NDSU DC, USC LB, Nevada DC, Jaguars LB under Gus Bradley ( former NDSU DC under Bohl, current DC for the Bolts).

I am hoping we give him a look when Chris leaves.

Biggest problem might be that he is under consideration for Oregon State DC; I suspect he'll be getting a P5 DC soon. That might be too much money to bring him into FCS.

Bisonator
December 20th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Scottie Hazelton. DC at Wyoming.

Previous NDSU DC, USC LB, Nevada DC, Jaguars LB under Gus Bradley ( former NDSU DC under Bohl, current DC for the Bolts).

I am hoping we give him a look when Chris leaves.

Biggest problem might be that he is under consideration for Oregon State DC; I suspect he'll be getting a P5 DC soon. That might be too much money to bring him into FCS.
Yeah Scottie won't be back.

centennial
December 20th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Yeah Scottie won't be back.
Left on bad terms? Or too expensive? Wyoming's defense is 22nd in the FBS. And he had worked under Gus who IMO is one of the best DC's in the NFL.

Bisonator
December 20th, 2017, 03:26 PM
Left on bad terms? Or too expensive? Wyoming's defense is 22nd in the FBS. And he had worked under Gus who IMO is one of the best DC's in the NFL.
Scottie has bigger dreams

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Bump

AggieFinn
November 28th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Oh dear.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Bison knows

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2018, 06:01 PM

This thread delivers.

Bison56
November 28th, 2018, 06:02 PM
This thread delivers.

I knew you would enjoy it.

BisonFan02
November 28th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Bohl for NDSU signed a long term extension through 2021 on January of 2013...he was gone in December after the second round game. I wouldn't wipe my ass with a college HC contract extension.

xlolx

cx500d
November 28th, 2018, 06:04 PM

Was I right? Pretty close anyway

NDSUtk
November 28th, 2018, 06:10 PM
This is a signal that Houston will only leave for a P5 position or a high high high end G5 position (but even then, unlikely)Not sure that happened.

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 06:13 PM
So...

Thanks for digging this up for me.

JSUSoutherner
November 28th, 2018, 06:14 PM
This thread delivers.

No, it's Digornos.

clenz
November 28th, 2018, 06:18 PM
No, it's Digornos.
MichaelJordanStopItGetHelp.meme