PDA

View Full Version : McNeese State Defensive Coordinator Resigns

JMU Duke Dog
July 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Looks like McNeese State will have a new defensive coordinator for its 2005 season.

Defensive coordinator Guidry leaving McNeese for Carencro
By Adam Burns
AMERICAN PRESS

Pending school board approval, McNeese State Defensive Coordinator Lance Guidry has accepted the head football coaching position at Carencro High School, Guidry confirmed Thursday.

Guidry interviewed with Carencro principal Annette Rath and athletic director Kenny Gennuso and was then offered the job to replace longtime Bears head coach Mac Barrouse.

The Lafayette Parish School Board will meet Wednesday during its monthly meeting to confirm Guidry.

"It's a good situation for my family," Guidry said. "When I was younger, I just wanted to coach college, but the recruiting trips take me on the road a whole lot. I've got two sons and a daughter. My son is entering the ninth grade and plays football, so this was a better situation for my family.

"And it's a good program at Carencro," Guidry added. "When coach (Tommy) Tate hired me at McNeese he asked me what jobs I would leave for. I told him a job at a big Division I-A school or the Carencro head football job."

Guidry is an 11-year coaching veteran who spent the last five years at McNeese after being an assistant for three years at Carencro. Guidry said he was recomended to Barousse the first time around at Carencro by Tate. Guidry had played for Tate as a defensive back during his playing career at McNeese from 1990-93. When Tate became head coach in 2000, he hired Guidry back to his staff.

Guidry coached McNeese's defensive backs and served as the Cowboys' defensive coordinator for five years. Following the 2004 season, Guidry was shifted to coaching Cowboy linebackers while still retaining the defensive coordinator's responsibilities.

Guidry is the second assistant coach to depart the Cowboys in the offseason. Offensive line coach Gerald Broussard accepted the offensive coordinator job at Stephen F. Austin shortly after the 2004 season ended.

Barousse coached at Carencro for 15 seasons, winning a state title in 1992 and eight district titles. He resigned in early June to spend more time with his family.

TexasTerror
July 19th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Seems he got his dream job and of course, he's also probably getting paid just as much, if not more. More power to him...

putter
July 19th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I was not aware McNeese had a defense last year!!! :eek: :D

GeauxLions94
July 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Neither were we ;) :p

GannonFan
July 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Man, is it me or do things just don't look healthy down in Cowboy land? Any reason for McNeese's sudden drop from power? It wasn't that long ago (2002?) that they were right at the top of IAA. Now, that disappointing debacle in the '03 playoffs followed by last year's poor team and not a lot of hope for this year. Losing a coordinator this close to the start of the season is not good as well - I can't imagine a great coordinator is sitting out there without a job waiting to get picked up - besides, tough to get things changed to his system this late in the game.

McNeeserocket
July 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Man, is it me or do things just don't look healthy down in Cowboy land? Any reason for McNeese's sudden drop from power? It wasn't that long ago (2002?) that they were right at the top of IAA. Now, that disappointing debacle in the '03 playoffs followed by last year's poor team and not a lot of hope for this year. Losing a coordinator this close to the start of the season is not good as well - I can't imagine a great coordinator is sitting out there without a job waiting to get picked up - besides, tough to get things changed to his system this late in the game.
My guess is that Tommy Tate, our head coach, will probably be head coach and defensive coordinator this year. Tommy has always been a defensive coach at McNeese (26 years) and before coaching was a defensive player at McNeese. He can probably do both, although it is not optimal to have to do both.

As far as our untimely demise, I wouldn't bury us quite yet. Seems like Delaware had a few bad years before rising to the top again. But if teams want to think McNeese is dead and buried, that is ok with us.

McNeese75
July 19th, 2005, 09:15 PM
As far as our untimely demise, I wouldn't bury us quite yet. Seems like Delaware had a few bad years before rising to the top again. But if teams want to think McNeese is dead and buried, that is ok with us.

:nod: Especially them boys from Strawberry Fields!!!

kats89
July 19th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Don't bury them just yet. IMO, they will be a spoiler in the conference this year.
The other team to watch out for will be SE La. Their defense will be good. Their DC (Mike Lucas) was a former longtime DC at Sam Houston. He is very good and his defenses are always very aggressive.

GannonFan
July 19th, 2005, 09:44 PM
My guess is that Tommy Tate, our head coach, will probably be head coach and defensive coordinator this year. Tommy has always been a defensive coach at McNeese (26 years) and before coaching was a defensive player at McNeese. He can probably do both, although it is not optimal to have to do both.

Hey, not counting anything before it's hatched, actually I was just echoing what has seemed to be the attitude of some McNeese fans on these boards - the way McNeese fell at the end of '03, the way they fell apart last year, and the poor viewing most have of the year ahead. As I'm not close to it at all, I was just, as I said, echoing views of those who are. I certainly wouldn't think McNeese would be down forever, but you never know when a power will turn into an EKU or a Youngstown.

Kill'em
July 20th, 2005, 04:39 AM
He probably saw tapes of Jayson Foster and was having nightmares :D

JohnStOnge
July 20th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Bingo. It's hard to be upset about losing a defensive coodinator who was in place when the Cowboys set a school record for points allowed. It'd be hard for it to be worse.

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Kirby Bruchauss...the DC through 1998 who oversaw the defense when it was almost always one of the most dominant in the division. Won't happen because of his problems with gambling allegations but I can have my fantasies.

JohnStOnge
July 20th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Neither were we ;) :p

Well, don't think it was all that to do what SE did against McNeese's D last season. Just about EVERYBODY did it. It's pretty bad when SE LA scores 51 and it turns out to be the FIFTH highest point total against the Cowboy defense during the season!

I mean...when you think about it...just how bad is giving up more than 50 points in 45 percent (5 of 11) of games? Nope...I don't think you're going to see a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth in Lake Charles over this one.

We'll never really know if it was all his fault...but it's a lot different than talking about losing the coordinator of a defense that actually stopped people from scoring.

buckp
July 20th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Said it before, will say it again...... :rolleyes:

"5) McNeese State – Cowboys look like they still have some problems. Expect a 5-6 season....."

(Preseason SLC ranking)

GtFllsGriz
July 20th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Sometimes change, even unexpected is a blessing. I look for the Cowboys to rise to the top again. It may not happen this year but class programs don't stay down very long. I wish them the best. They have classy fans and my utmost respect.