PDA

View Full Version : Doss, Briscoe, Streveler Finalists for Walter Payton Award

SochorField
December 4th, 2017, 02:56 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171204115113162592904

I need to find a Keelan Doss highlight reel and post.

Oh wait, our Athletics Department or Football program hasn't made one xeyebrowx

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 02:59 PM
I say Strev.

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 03:09 PM
It's literally the University of South Dakota Strevelers.

Remove him and they aren't even a .500 team this year.

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 03:11 PM
He has to get it IMO.

It's literally the University of South Dakota Strevlers.

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2017, 03:28 PM
It's literally the University of South Dakota Strevlers.

This.
It'll be interesting to see where they end up next year without him.

Also, anyone know when they announce the Buchanan Award top 3?

Serpentor
December 4th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I say Strev.

I'm personally leaning Briscoe myself, but if Strev gets it I won't complain.

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 03:41 PM

Bias much? :D

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Briscoe has not looked as sharp this year. I personally know he has placed a lot on himself and has been talking about football after college which i think has affected him, if you look at his completion percentage, touchdowns, sacks, int all up. Also just watching he is not as sharp. Still great but think hes in his head.

Serpentor
December 4th, 2017, 04:30 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7qDTx8cymJvSrtrq/giphy.gif

Daytripper
December 4th, 2017, 04:31 PM
After that display he put on Saturday, I say Streveler..

katss07
December 4th, 2017, 04:33 PM
I love JB. Hell of a guy. Hell of a player. You WILL see Briscoe on Sundays.

Easy decision: Strev

SochorField
December 4th, 2017, 05:17 PM
I think it'll be Streveler.

Have to admit though... its impressive to end you junior season leading ALL FBS and FCS players in receiving yards (1,499), receptions per game (10.5) and receiving yards per game (136.3).

It is unfortunate that virtually nobody outside of the Big Sky or northern California has seen Doss play.

It would definitely have helped his cause if Davis had made the playoffs.

Only his frosh and soph highlights show up on youtube, but there is this gem vs. EWU that made the SC top-10:
https://youtu.be/so3efFgQi6A

Katfan
December 4th, 2017, 08:26 PM
What a biased Sam fan. No way.

Id have to vote for Streveler but I can’t complain about JB has done, except a couple of games

KPSUL
December 4th, 2017, 09:01 PM
Bryan Shor belongs in this group. He does precisely what his team needs from him to win. If he was slinging the ball every play he'd put up numbers as big as anyone.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2017, 09:32 PM

xeyebrowx Not IMO.

Streveler should win it.

Redbird 4th & short
December 4th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Streveler played much tougher schedule than Briscoe and was also his team's leading rusher and top 6 up until mid season, after which he was playing hurt and running a lot less - but still finished 10th in MVFC rushing yards per game.

Keelan Doss put up some monster numbers for UC Davis against pretty good competition .. except that it was in the pass happy Big Sky. For reference, the Big Sky has following # of teams ranked in bottom of FCS in pass defense yards.

- 9 of the bottom 21 worst pass defense teams
- 11 of the bottom 37 worst pass defense teams

Playoff world did not get to see Streveler when he was healthy dual threat, and he still lit them up with his passing .. despite couple injuries, so he just wasn't the read option threat. May be biased, but going with Streveler.

Redbird 4th & short
December 4th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Bryan Shor belongs in this group. He does precisely what his team needs from him to win. If he was slinging the ball every play he'd put up numbers as big as anyone.
He had a pretty good year, but plays on a very good team. His QBR ranks 14th (behind Briscoe and Streveler) with just over 2-to-1 TD-Pick ratio; pass yards per game ranks 43rd in FCS. Schor passed just 27 times per game, compared to Streveler and Briscoe at 42 times per game. STreveler had just 8 picks in 481 pass .. thats 1 every 60 passes. Schor had 11 picks in just 315 passes .. thats 1 every 30 passes.

So last season he average 21 passes per game and had a 186% QBR. This year, he averaged 26 passes per game and his QBR dropped to 155%. His rush yards are also way down .. about half of what did per game and per carry compared to a year ago. Putting up more passes this year hurt his results.

He's good this year, but not in the discussion. He's on a very good team .. I give your team and coaches more credit.

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Give it to Mini-Tebow.

Schism55
December 4th, 2017, 11:21 PM

At your local Home Depot maybe

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2017, 06:31 AM

xlolx

xthumbsupx

Daytripper
December 5th, 2017, 06:31 AM
xeyebrowx Not IMO.

Streveler should win it.

I agree.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2017, 06:40 AM
I agree.

Very good FCS QB but not NFL material. Probably will get a tryout somewhere though.

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 06:43 AM

Schor is very good but the award is a numbers based award not how important he is to the team.

Dewey

Bisonator
December 5th, 2017, 10:39 AM

Schor is very good but the award is a numbers based award not how important he is to the team.

Dewey
This. Schor is in the same category as NDSU QB's, not going to put up gaudy enough stats for the individual awards but more then likely ends up with the ring. It's a good compromise I suppose.:D

Schism55
December 5th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Last years winners of the Heisman and Payton are finalists for them again this year. No chance Lamar Jackson wins the Heisman, Briscoe going to miss out as well?

KPSUL
December 5th, 2017, 12:37 PM
He had a pretty good year, but plays on a very good team. His QBR ranks 14th (behind Briscoe and Streveler) with just over 2-to-1 TD-Pick ratio; pass yards per game ranks 43rd in FCS. Schor passed just 27 times per game, compared to Streveler and Briscoe at 42 times per game. STreveler had just 8 picks in 481 pass .. thats 1 every 60 passes. Schor had 11 picks in just 315 passes .. thats 1 every 30 passes.

So last season he average 21 passes per game and had a 186% QBR. This year, he averaged 26 passes per game and his QBR dropped to 155%. His rush yards are also way down .. about half of what did per game and per carry compared to a year ago. Putting up more passes this year hurt his results.

He's good this year, but not in the discussion. He's on a very good team .. I give your team and coaches more credit.

Not my team; but I have seen him play in person 3 times this season.

LuckyKat
December 5th, 2017, 12:40 PM

https://nflmocks.com/2017/09/26/2018-nfl-draft-week-4-prospect-stock-report/

TheKingpin28
December 5th, 2017, 12:45 PM

Week 4 vs Week 13? So 2 months pass by and your bring this up? There is a reason why guys like Allen out of Wyoming have fallen out of favor and guys like Darnold have jumped. There is a reason why Goedert has continually risen. 2 months in the world of college prospects is damn near eternity when projecting where they will fall.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2017, 02:06 PM
LMFAO its fansided! That's where all the guru's like Em hang out!xlolx

Daytripper
December 5th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Last years winners of the Heisman and Payton are finalists for them again this year. No chance Lamar Jackson wins the Heisman, Briscoe going to miss out as well?

Yep. Streveler is winning it.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Week 4 vs Week 13? So 2 months pass by and your bring this up? There is a reason why guys like Allen out of Wyoming have fallen out of favor and guys like Darnold have jumped. There is a reason why Goedert has continually risen. 2 months in the world of college prospects is damn near eternity when projecting where they will fall.

Like the guy in the article said, Briscoe's value will be determined after the season is over at the Senior Bowl, etc...

If he is lucky, he might get a combine invite. But that is a longshot.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Like the guy in the article said, Briscoe's value will be determined after the season is over at the Senior Bowl, etc...

If he is lucky, he might get a combine invite. But that is a longshot.
I think the Combine is more likely than the Senior Bowl (although both are possible). I seem to remember when NDSU players have been in the Senior Bowl that pretty much every player there was also invited to the Combine. But if he doesn't make the Senior Bowl invite list there's other All-Star games where he can show his stuff at like the Shrine Game, the NFLPA Bowl, etc.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2017, 05:17 PM
I think the Combine is more likely than the Senior Bowl (although both are possible). I seem to remember when NDSU players have been in the Senior Bowl that pretty much every player there was also invited to the Combine. But if he doesn't make the Senior Bowl invite list there's other All-Star games where he can show his stuff at like the Shrine Game, the NFLPA Bowl, etc.

I'll take your word for it. But it will be an interesting story to follow. I've read multiple scouting reports on him from different sources and they range from he is a system QB who will never get a sniff to he's got the tools and instincts that might get him drafted in the middle rounds. It's why I love the draft process.

Schism55
December 5th, 2017, 05:42 PM
I'll take your word for it. But it will be an interesting story to follow. I've read multiple scouting reports on him from different sources and they range from he is a system QB who will never get a sniff to he's got the tools and instincts that might get him drafted in the middle rounds. It's why I love the draft process.
No doubt, plenty of places for him to impress post season. Also I may be alone in this but I think the QB talent pool for the draft this year is pretty shallow, would sure think that would benefit Briscoe and other fcs QB's.

smallcollegefbfan
December 5th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Briscoe is in the Shrine. I would say he is 50/50 for the Senior Bowl. It will depend on what some top end seniors decide to do.

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt, plenty of places for him to impress post season. Also I may be alone in this but I think the QB talent pool for the draft this year is pretty shallow, would sure think that would benefit Briscoe and other fcs QB's.

It is shallow every year. Briscoe has a shot to go in rounds 6-7 but he is really just a free agent caliber player based on his entire season. I was disappointed in his play later on because he looked like a hot prospect early on.

BNATION
December 6th, 2017, 10:05 AM
​Agreed he really had a down year, from a completion percentage and TD-INT rating.
Briscoe is in the Shrine. I would say he is 50/50 for the Senior Bowl. It will depend on what some top end seniors decide to do.

- - - Updated - - -

It is shallow every year. Briscoe has a shot to go in rounds 6-7 but he is really just a free agent caliber player based on his entire season. I was disappointed in his play later on because he looked like a hot prospect early on.

ST_Lawson
January 5th, 2018, 09:49 PM
https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/949488144843452417

TheKingpin28
January 5th, 2018, 10:40 PM
https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/949488144843452417I am actually shocked Streveler lost. This is a bigger snub than Taylor and you won't find anyone, outside of the Leathernecks who believes that Taylor is the best LB in the FCS and possibly on the entire Defensive side. I'd put DeLuca and Farley just slightly behind Taylor for LBs.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bisonator
January 5th, 2018, 10:44 PM
What a joke this award has become, I guess just rack up huge numbers against nobody and win it.

Thumper 76
January 5th, 2018, 10:56 PM
https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/949488144843452417

This is a ****ing joke. Strever should have won by far. He single handedly drug USeD to the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 10:56 PM
WELL HOW ‘BOUT THAT!!!!! Maybe they took into effect the Head to Head matchup? I don’t know. I’m shocked he won, but very happy. Congrats JB!

Schism55
January 5th, 2018, 11:00 PM
What a joke this award has become, I guess just rack up huge numbers against nobody and win it.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26903&stc=1

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Well the bottom line is the best player in the country for two straight years played at Sam Houston! Congrats JB.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:07 PM
This is a ****ing joke. Strever should have won by far. He single handedly drug USeD to the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Level of competition clearly doesn't matter....Briscoe is a ****ing joke.

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Level of competition clearly doesn't matter....Briscoe is a ****ing joke.
Well winning isn’t a joke. And JB beat the MVFC God Strevler

Schism55
January 5th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Well the bottom line is the best player in the country for two straight years played at Sam Houston! Congrats JB.
Freaking LOL, is that you young Richard Pryor? Thats some funny **** :D
JB will also never play a down in the NFL, so that and your annual playoff embarrassments will keep you warm at night.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:14 PM
Well winning isn’t a joke. And JB beat the MVFC God Strevler

No....JB beat a sorry USeD secondary in the latter half of the season.

Here's "game manager" Stick's stat line against that same team:

PASSING
Cmp-Att-Int
Yds
TD
Long
Sack

Easton Stick
11-12-0

Also added 39 rushing and a TD.......and oh, by the way, he didn't even ****ing play in the 4th quarter. xlolx

Briscoe ran up stats against a sorry schedule....which is all it takes.

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:16 PM
Freaking LOL, is that you young Richard Pryor? Thats some funny **** :D
JB will also never play a down in the NFL, so that and your annual playoff embarrassments will keep you warm at night.
I hate getting blown out. Next year we probably will get beat earlier in the playoffs. Those are both facts.

Another fact? JB won the Walter Payton Award. BEST. PLAYER. Love it or Hate it, the dude is a winner. And he beat Strevler. If JB would have won and USD had beaten Sam, you MVFC dudes would be complaining about head to head wins. Now its the lame excuse of “well its all a joke so...it doesn’t ****ing count!” Yeah. Okay. Strevler was great. Now go watch the SHSH-USD game.

Who won that game again?

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:18 PM
RUSHING
No.
Gain
Loss
Net
TD
Lg
Avg.

Streveler,Chris

PASSING
Cmp-Att-Int
Yds
TD
Long
Sack

Streveler,Chris
30-47-0

PASSING
Cmp-Att-Int
Yds
TD
Long
Sack

Jeremiah Briscoe
29-51-3

RUSHING
No.
Gain
Loss
Net
TD
Lg
Avg.

Corey Avery

Ragan Henderson

Remus Bulmer

Yedidiah Louis

Jeremiah Briscoe

Care to guess who this was against? xlolx

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:22 PM
RUSHING
No.
Gain
Loss
Net
TD
Lg
Avg.

Streveler,Chris

PASSING
Cmp-Att-Int
Yds
TD
Long
Sack

Streveler,Chris
30-47-0

PASSING
Cmp-Att-Int
Yds
TD
Long
Sack

Jeremiah Briscoe
29-51-3

RUSHING
No.
Gain
Loss
Net
TD
Lg
Avg.

Corey Avery

Ragan Henderson

Remus Bulmer

Yedidiah Louis

Jeremiah Briscoe

Care to guess who this was against? xlolx
So you guys point the finger at JB for getting beaten down by THE BEST FCS TEAM. Yeah, I get it. The guy played awful. Strevler got killed too though. Care to guess when Strevler played NDSU. Regular season. Winning matters. And Briscoe beat Strevler.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:22 PM
Of note too....I'm not exactly a USeD fanboy. I've seen both of these guys....Streveler was the best offensive player on the field in any game I watched this year, and it wasn't really even close. He had absolutely ZERO help on that team and took a beating in the process.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:24 PM
So you guys point the finger at JB for getting beaten down by THE BEST FCS TEAM. Yeah, I get it. The guy played awful. Care to guess when Strevler played NDSU. Regular season. Winning matters. And Briscoe beat Strevler.

Winning matters? Schedule matters......you guys get exposed every ****ing year when you finally run into a team at the top tier level. Drop your program "as is" into the MVFC or CAA...and you never make the postseason. FACT

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Winning matters? Schedule matters......you guys get exposed every ****ing year when you finally run into a team at the top tier level. Drop your program "as is" into the MVFC or CAA...and you never make the postseason. FACT
We beat USD. We would finish third in the MVFC. Your right scheduling does matter, Bob Morris. Its not like Missouri State is some powerhouse. We got exposed like everyone else by NDSU, save South Dakota St. And they got blown out too. But I know, I know. They are in the MVFC so they are exempted.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:27 PM
We beat USD. We would finish third in the MVFC. Your right scheduling does matter, Bob Morris. Its not like Missouri State is some powerhouse. We got exposed like everyone else by NDSU, save South Dakota St. And they got blown out too. But I know, I know. They are in the MVFC so they are exempted.

Ha! Bull****.

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:29 PM
Who would we lose to outside of NDSU and SDSU? Oh and maybe Western Illinois can get thrown in there. They have a real tough home field advantage.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Who would we lose to outside of NDSU and SDSU? Oh and maybe Western Illinois can get thrown in there. They have a real tough home field advantage.

I would take NDSU, SDSU, WIU, ISUr, and UNI all over you guys....you wouldn't be able to match the physicality of any of them...

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:34 PM
I would take NDSU, SDSU, WIU, ISUr, and UNI all over you guys....you wouldn't be able to match the physicality of any of them...
I would take WIU, NDSU, SDSU and maybe UNI at the Uni-dome over the Kats. Other than that, I dont think we would lose. We are not physically at all, and we don’t play the MVFC brand of football. But we would be able to make the playoffs. Because if we lost 3-4 games in the MVFC every year (which is very realistic for this program in the MVFC) we would still make the playoffs.

Come on now, Illinois freaking State? No way haha

Twentysix
January 5th, 2018, 11:38 PM

While not your intent, having SHSU, SFA, and UCA in the MVFC would be fun. We would be taking on an FCS big XII footprint.

The MVFC should just invite all the top teams that are even vaguely in our footprint and make a mega football only conference xD

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:38 PM
I would take WIU, NDSU, SDSU and maybe UNI at the Uni-dome over the Kats. Other than that, I dont think we would lose. We are not physically at all, and we don’t play the MVFC brand of football. But we would be able to make the playoffs. Because if we lost 3-4 games in the MVFC every year (which is very realistic for this program in the MVFC) we would still make the playoffs.

Come on now, Illinois freaking State? No way haha

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2287

6-5 team....took SDSU to OT and played NDSU in the snow 20-7. That is the high watermark where you guys would finish in our league. The "7 on 7" mentality of SHSU football would have to take a massive facelift to compete.

The best team you guys ever had was the 2011 team....and mostly because they were physical on defense. It has been barely marginal since.

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:42 PM
While not your intent, having SHSU, SFA, and UCA in the MVFC would be fun. We would be taking on an FCS big XII footprint.

The Summit should just invite all the top teams that are even vaguely in our footprint and make a mega football only conference xD

FIFY. :D

katss07
January 5th, 2018, 11:43 PM

The MVFC should just invite all the top teams that are even vaguely in our footprint and make a mega football only conference xD
UCA actually kind of fits your footprint, which is pretty cool. I think they are okay in the SLC though. But it is fun to think about. You guys talk about how Sammy would be exposed...what if Jax St joined!

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:44 PM
UCA actually kind of fits your footprint, which is pretty cool. I think they are okay in the SLC though. But it is fun to think about. You guys talk about how Sammy would be exposed...what if Jax St joined!

Same story.........had the same argument with their fans about the offensive power of guys like Eli Jenkins and Pope....

TheKingpin28
January 6th, 2018, 12:13 AM
FIFY. :D

Summit League Football FTW!

inb4clenzgoesoffonthisconcept

Yotes21
January 6th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Congrats to Briscoe and SHSU fans... He had a great year and seems to be a great kid...Good luck to him in the future.

Iridebikes
January 6th, 2018, 08:33 AM

I'm in agreement with you. Big numbers against Southland Conf. defense. Playoff competition and he tanks.

Serpentor
January 6th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Congrats to JB on his accomplishment. Oh, and look, a thread that NDSU fans are sperging out on because they didn't get their way. Surprise surprise....

Gil Dobie
January 6th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Congrats Briscoe! It was fun watching Brisco and Streveler play against the Bison this year.

POD Knows
January 6th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Congrats Briscoe! It was fun watching Brisco and Streveler play against the Bison this year.This is awesome, I can't tell if this is a backhanded slap at both the teams but it is pretty good.

Bisonator
January 6th, 2018, 09:23 AM
I'm in no way bashing Briscoe and congrats to him on the recognition but he is not the best player in the FCS. I'm bashing the people who vote on these awards who look at nothing but stats in a vacuum. It's completely idiotic, it'd be like giving the Heisman award to a guy at Toledo who stunk against the only P5 he played in a bowl game but hey he fricking dominated the MAC and rolled up the stats. Don't people see how ****ing dumb that would be?

semobison
January 6th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Meh...the Payton and the Heisman have become a stats contest...best player...nah!

Daytripper
January 6th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Meh...the Payton and the Heisman have become a stats contest...best player...nah!

Oftentimes the best player isn't even on offense.

JSUSoutherner
January 6th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Exactly. I'd take DJ 8 times a week over Briscoe.

Serpentor
January 6th, 2018, 09:54 AM

If your team wins a championship, doesn't that make the AD the best player? xrotatehx

AmsterBison
January 6th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Exactly, I don't understand the ripping on SHSU. If SHSU is not a top 5 program in the FCS, then who has been better besides NDSU and JMU (for the last two years only)?

Take the last four years: SHSU's average end-of-the-regular-season ranking has been 9th, yet they've made the semis 3 of the last four years. Who, besides NDSU, did that? And in those four postseasons, they went 9-4.

Jacksonville State got bounced out of the playoffs in their first game in three of the four past seasons despite having an average end-of-the-regular-season ranking of #2. They went 3-4 in the playoffs those four years.

Yeah, SHSU didn't look good against NDSU, but they moved the ball pretty well in the second half (350+ yards in the game.) Compare that to other teams coming to the FargoDome: Richmond and Montana in 2015 - 209 and 229 yards respectively. SHSU in 2014 only had 232 yards. New Hampshire didn't even get 200 yards in the 2013 semis.

Daytripper
January 6th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Exactly, I don't understand the ripping on SHSU. If SHSU is not a top 5 program in the FCS, then who has been better besides NDSU and JMU (for the last two years only)?

Take the last four years: SHSU's average end-of-the-regular-season ranking has been 9th, yet they've made the semis 3 of the last four years. Who, besides NDSU, did that? And in those four postseasons, they went 9-4.

Jacksonville State got bounced out of the playoffs in their first game in three of the four past seasons despite having an average end-of-the-regular-season ranking of #2. They went 3-4 in the playoffs those four years.

Yeah, SHSU didn't look good against NDSU, but they moved the ball pretty well in the second half (350+ yards in the game.) Compare that to other teams coming to the FargoDome: Richmond and Montana in 2015 - 209 and 229 yards respectively. SHSU in 2014 only had 232 yards. New Hampshire didn't even get 200 yards in the 2013 semis.

Thank you for being objective about SHSU. It's rare on this forum.

BisonFan02
January 6th, 2018, 10:12 AM

The bold is key here.......

JSUSoutherner
January 6th, 2018, 10:20 AM
The bold is key here.......
Wasn't NDSU's scout team playing during the second half of that game?

BisonFan02
January 6th, 2018, 10:22 AM

It was a mix, but the defensive gameplan got extremely vanilla and the offense was playing to run clock and punt.

POD Knows
January 6th, 2018, 10:23 AM
He got garbage stats in that game. Pure and simple. They had a good first drive and that was about it

katss07
January 6th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Our semis game wasn’t fun. How was your semifinal game?

Daytripper
January 6th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Our semis game wasn’t fun. How was your semifinal game?
https://media2.giphy.com/media/13py6c5BSnBkic/giphy.gif