PDA

View Full Version : The 2017 Celebration Bowl Thread - NC A&T vs. Grambling State (December 16, 12 PM ET)

bonarae
December 4th, 2017, 01:51 AM
Well... this is the HBCU bowl that their fans truly deserve and the bowl to open the FBS/FCS bowl season.

Two ranked teams (STATS-wise, both in the top 15 there) heading in almost the same direction.

Though Grambling played one more game last week, can NC A&T shake off the rust that some undefeated teams face when facing two weeks or more of rest and end the season undefeated? Or can Grambling play spoiler and both teams end up with one loss each?

Discuss...

WileECoyote06
December 4th, 2017, 09:01 AM
A&T by ten.

Panther88
December 4th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I think Grambling State pulls it out in a close one. GSU's coaching staff is adjustment capable. It'll be interesting to see how each counters the other. NCA&T is very gifted but so is GSU.

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Montez Carter and Devante Kincade will be a hellish pain to contain. This will be a Big 12 or SHSU-type shootout.

ASU33
December 4th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Montez Carter and Devante Kincade will be a hellish pain to contain. This will be a Big 12 or SHSU-type shootout.

I doubt it. Both defenses are too good for that. Grambling gave up points Saturday only after sitting their starters.

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2017, 10:11 AM
I doubt it. Both defenses are too good for that. Grambling gave up points Saturday only after sitting their starters.

Neither team played an offense as good as each one is. Those defensive stats are inflated due to the schedule we both played honestly.

ASU33
December 4th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Neither team played an offense as good as each one is. Those defensive stats are inflated due to the schedule we both played honestly.

Grambling has seen the better group of offenses. Southern can score on anyone, so can Alcorn State. I expect another defensive battle like last year.

Panther88
December 4th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I've watched GSU's bend-but-don't-break defense the last few years as it stifled vaunted Willie Simmon's offensive genius. That GSU d-coord is very good and high-minded, pardon my french. Don't forget about those PAC-XII et al D-I FBS txfers they have roaming in their secondary. They know what they are doing.

I watched Devante Kincade when he made that playoff push w/ Skyline and obviously, he's very gifted. He's really come into his own w/in the last 2 years while leading GSU. If you want to stop GSU's offense, you MUST stop him first and foremost. Naturally, you have to stop Carter as well. I don't think enough credit is given to GSU's oline, which makes their O go.

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I've watched GSU's bend-but-don't-break defense the last few years as it stifled vaunted Willie Simmon's offensive genius. That GSU d-coord is very good and high-minded, pardon my french. Don't forget about those PAC-XII et al D-I FBS txfers they have roaming in their secondary. They know what they are doing.

I watched Devante Kincade when he made that playoff push w/ Skyline and obviously, he's very gifted. He's really come into his own w/in the last 2 years while leading GSU. If you want to stop GSU's offense, you MUST stop him first and foremost. Naturally, you have to stop Carter as well. I don't think enough credit is given to GSU's oline, which makes their O go.

One thing A&T knows about are FBS, Pac-XII included, transfers roaming in the secondary.

BucBisonAtLarge
December 4th, 2017, 03:13 PM
What a great match-up! Have a blast. Definitely worth watching, but I would have my money on A&T.

ASU33
December 4th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Grambling's allotment went on sale this morning and they're moving fast. A&T sold out of it's initial allotment in under 3 days and has requested a 2nd allotment which is also almost gone. This is definitely the most anticipated Celebration Bowl matchup we've seen so far.

Panther88
December 4th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Grambling's allotment went on sale this morning and they're moving fast. A&T sold out of it's initial allotment in under 3 days and has requested a 2nd allotment which is also almost gone. This is definitely the most anticipated Celebration Bowl matchup we've seen so far.

There's so much irony w/ the coaching staffs of both schools and adding to that is the legacy of Grambling St and how their resurgence occurred under the leadership of coach Fobbs and staff.

ASU33
December 4th, 2017, 05:22 PM
There's so much irony w/ the coaching staffs of both schools and adding to that is the legacy of Grambling St and how their resurgence occurred under the leadership of coach Fobbs and staff.

The storylines in the game are very interesting. Ron Broadway was the head coach at Grambling from 2007-2010 and left with a 35-12 overall record and a 28-4 record in the conference. Grambling basically didn't negotiate a contract extension with Broadway because Doug Williams wanted to come back home to be the head coach again, which opened the door for North Carolina A&T. Broadway was never fully accepted at Grambling because he wasn't a "Grambling man" like all of their coaches had been to that point. Current Grambling Running backs coach Lee Fobbs and father of Grambling head coach Broderick Fobbs, was once the head Coach at North Carolina A&T from 2005-2008 and had a 27 game losing streak while at the helm. Lee Fobbs was also a position coach for the Aggies in the late 80s.

Panther88
December 4th, 2017, 06:42 PM
The storylines in the game are very interesting. Ron Broadway was the head coach at Grambling from 2007-2010 and left with a 35-12 overall record and a 28-4 record in the conference. Grambling basically didn't negotiate a contract extension with Broadway because Doug Williams wanted to come back home to be the head coach again, which opened the door for North Carolina A&T. Broadway was never fully accepted at Grambling because he wasn't a "Grambling man" al of their coaches had been to that point. Current Grambling Running backs coach Lee Fobbs and father of Grambling head coach Broderick Fobbs, was once the head Coach at North Carolina A&T from 2005-2008 and had a 27 game losing streak while at the helm. Lee Fobbs was also a position coach for the Aggies in the late 80s.

It just excites the senses ^^^^. Too much irony. Those squads, representing their coaches, are going to beat each other up on the field of play and give 1000%.

PantherRob82
December 4th, 2017, 07:28 PM
I think NCAT has to be the favorite by about 6 coming into the game. I wonder if it will be a low scoring close game like last year.

AggieManiac704
December 5th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Just wondering how our dline stacks up against their OLine. Kincade also picked Alcorn to pieces when they sent pressure. It's alot to consider when they have the ball, I'm excited.

ASU33
December 5th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Just wondering how our dline stacks up against their OLine. Kincade also picked Alcorn to pieces when they sent pressure. It's alot to consider when they have the ball, I'm excited.

We sacked Kincade 5 times when we played them. Southern got a lot of pressure on him too! NC A&T's front 7 is better than ours and Southern's.

ASU33
December 8th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Grambling has sold out of their initial allotment as of this morning. Ticket sales look great so far. I'm very much looking forward to the game next weekend and the events starting Monday for the game.

Professor
December 11th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I think NCAT has to be the favorite by about 6 coming into the game. I wonder if it will be a low scoring close game like last year.

Vegas says 9.5

BEAR
December 11th, 2017, 08:58 AM
What channel is this on? Or is it ESPN3/2/X or whatever. Gotta get my fix...xthumbsupx

GAD
December 11th, 2017, 09:51 AM
What channel is this on? Or is it ESPN3/2/X or whatever. Gotta get my fix...xthumbsupx
ABC 11am central time

Daytripper
December 11th, 2017, 09:53 AM
This is shaping up to be a great game. Hope I am able to watch it.

GAD
December 11th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Grambling has sold out of their initial allotment as of this morning. Ticket sales look great so far. I'm very much looking forward to the game next weekend and the events starting Monday for the game.
I remember some one saying We better hope we don't have to rely on ticket salesxlolx

BEAR
December 11th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Alright, what kind of offenses can we expect these two teams to run? Are they run or pass heavy?

Defenses, are they blitz heavy or zone heavy?

C'mon you gotta give us casual fans something to look for in this game. xthumbsupx

WestCoastAggie
December 11th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Alright, what kind of offenses can we expect these two teams to run? Are they run or pass heavy?

Defenses, are they blitz heavy or zone heavy?

C'mon you gotta give us casual fans something to look for in this game. xthumbsupx

A&T runs variations of the 4-3 Under, similar to what Seattle and Atlanta run in the NFL. We also run a 4-2-5 nickel quite a bit. While we have gotten bigger in our front 4, and continue to do so, we still rely on speed, running slashing and stunts on the line. We will commit to stop the run first and foremost, while seeking turnovers in the passing game.

Names to look out for in our Defense:

-Darryl Johnson and Julian McKnight on the DL

-Mac McCain and Timadre Abram at the Corners

-Jeremy Taylor and Jamaal Darden as our Rover/SS/FS duo

On offense, Lamar Raynard is a guy that broke A&T Single-Season and All-Time records. He will be leaned upon to pass the ball as affectively Saturday, as he did all season. He will be protected by one of the best A&T offensive lines ever led by potential draft pick Brandon Parker on his blind side. A&T will rotate up to 9 OL in the game depending on the situation.

As prolific as the passing game was for A&T, they will still want to control the clock by pounding RS-Jr Marquel Cartwright between the tackles, wearing out Grambling's D-Line, and using Jamari Smith (GR-South Carolina) for gashing running plays.

When it comes to passing, Elijah Bell is our Julio Jones. He is our go-to receiver and we will move him to the X, Y, and even Z positions to get him a favorable matchup. If he is double teamed, which he will be, Trey Scott, Jaquil Capel, Xavier Griffin, Khris Gardin will become key targets moving the ball down the field.

I've liken our offense as a cross between the Atlanta Falcons and Pittsburgh steelers, with a dash of the New England Patriots, with a somewhat mobile QB. We are a pro-style offensive base, which will still use the FB as a lead, power blocker, but we will throw read-option elements at you. We won't want Lamar to beat you with his legs, as he certainly isn't Kincade, but he can with his arm.

We are balanced with lining up Raynard under center, in the pistol and shotgun.

Mike296
December 11th, 2017, 10:25 PM
I have GSU pulling this win but this has the atmosphere of a barnburner everyone. I’m looking forward to watching this unfold. I’ll say GSU wins 28-21 but this one is a tough call for sure.

DeltaDevil662
December 12th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Looking like that 40K attendance mark will be reached in one of the most anticipated HBCU football games in years.

I think IF A&T plays their game they will win but if they can't contain Kincade and Carter Grambling will win. Kincade has gotten better as the season rolled along after a slow start.

I saw him play us and we knocked him out of the game. A team with an accurate QB and good receivers can beat them (our OC sucked. 340 yards on them but terrible play calling and nothing resembling a running game) but thus far only Southern was able to give them a tough game (could have beat them).

ASU33
December 12th, 2017, 01:19 PM
The teams arrived in town today. Lots of events and festivities planned for the guys for the rest of the week.

TheKingpin28
December 12th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I plan on watching this game as it will give all of us a good idea where each team stands and where they could have placed had they stayed in the FCS tournament.

PantherRob82
December 12th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I plan on watching this game as it will give all of us a good idea where each team stands and where they could have placed had they stayed in the FCS tournament.

I plan on watching but I fail to see how it shows us anything about where they fit in the landscape. Neither team has a range of reference against a playoff opponent.

ASU33
December 12th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Grambling State just came down Andrew Young with a helluva motorcade lead by what seemed like half of the Georgia Highway Patrol!

number1
December 12th, 2017, 10:32 PM

Don't sleep on those Southern, Alcorn, and Prairie View offenses.

number1
December 12th, 2017, 10:36 PM
We sacked Kincade 5 times when we played them. Southern got a lot of pressure on him too! NC A&T's front 7 is better than ours and Southern's.
Exactly. That's why I think A&T could cause him some serious issues. Grambling's offense was pretty much shut down in the 2nd half in the Classic. It was their special teams and defense giving them excellent field position that won them that game.

TheKingpin28
December 13th, 2017, 01:29 AM
I plan on watching but I fail to see how it shows us anything about where they fit in the landscape. Neither team has a range of reference against a playoff opponent.

It was more to see whether NCAT was too high or Grambling was too low. Not that it would do much though.

BEAR
December 13th, 2017, 07:44 AM
But the big question for both teams: How's the officiating?! xlolx

Gil Dobie
December 13th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Picking A&T in this one, could be a closer game than the odds makers think.

ASU33
December 13th, 2017, 09:21 AM
But the big question for both teams: How's the officiating?! xlolx

The refs from the previous celebration bowls have been all FBS crews and have called pretty good games. Last year's crew was an AAC crew.

WileECoyote06
December 13th, 2017, 11:39 AM
The refs from the previous celebration bowls have been all FBS crews and have called pretty good games. Last year's crew was an AAC crew.
They were from the Mountain West.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/12/06/2016-17-bowl-officiating-assignments-by-conference/

ASU33
December 13th, 2017, 12:49 PM
They were from the Mountain West.

http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/12/06/2016-17-bowl-officiating-assignments-by-conference/

Thanks for the correction!

ASU33
December 13th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Can someone create a poll for this?xeyebrowx

DEX
December 14th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I recently watched Celebration Bowl 1 on youtube and I thought the officiating was pretty bad.

ASU33
December 14th, 2017, 07:02 PM
I recently watched Celebration Bowl 1 on youtube and I thought the officiating was pretty bad.

The officials were a tad bit too involved that game!

TennBison
December 14th, 2017, 07:11 PM
What time is this game, I want to be sure to start my nap just 5 minutes before it starts so I can hopefully sleep through the whole thing. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ASU33
December 14th, 2017, 07:25 PM
What time is this game, I want to be sure to start my nap just 5 minutes before it starts so I can hopefully sleep through the whole thing. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

But amazingly you found the time to watusi your arse in here to comment thoughxcoffeex

ASU33
December 15th, 2017, 10:42 AM
https://theundefeated.com/features/grambling-nc-at-family-feud-competition-saturday-celebration-bowl/

Players got a chance to play Family Fued this week at spend some time with Steve Harvey as well as HBCU legends like Jerry Rice, John Sympathy, Mel Blount, Jake Reed, and others.

WileECoyote06
December 15th, 2017, 11:44 AM

Televisions have remotes now. You don't have to get up to change the channel anymore. #upgrade

Big Dawg
December 15th, 2017, 04:31 PM

Coming back to this forum after a while of being away, I’m realizing that NDSU fans are quickly becoming some of my least favorite...

WestCoastAggie
December 15th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Coming back to this forum after a while of being away, I’m realizing that NDSU fans are quickly becoming some of my least favorite...

Thank you!

BEAR
December 15th, 2017, 05:48 PM
A&T runs variations of the 4-3 Under, similar to what Seattle and Atlanta run in the NFL. We also run a 4-2-5 nickel quite a bit. While we have gotten bigger in our front 4, and continue to do so, we still rely on speed, running slashing and stunts on the line. We will commit to stop the run first and foremost, while seeking turnovers in the passing game.

Names to look out for in our Defense:

-Darryl Johnson and Julian McKnight on the DL

-Mac McCain and Timadre Abram at the Corners

-Jeremy Taylor and Jamaal Darden as our Rover/SS/FS duo

On offense, Lamar Raynard is a guy that broke A&T Single-Season and All-Time records. He will be leaned upon to pass the ball as affectively Saturday, as he did all season. He will be protected by one of the best A&T offensive lines ever led by potential draft pick Brandon Parker on his blind side. A&T will rotate up to 9 OL in the game depending on the situation.

As prolific as the passing game was for A&T, they will still want to control the clock by pounding RS-Jr Marquel Cartwright between the tackles, wearing out Grambling's D-Line, and using Jamari Smith (GR-South Carolina) for gashing running plays.

When it comes to passing, Elijah Bell is our Julio Jones. He is our go-to receiver and we will move him to the X, Y, and even Z positions to get him a favorable matchup. If he is double teamed, which he will be, Trey Scott, Jaquil Capel, Xavier Griffin, Khris Gardin will become key targets moving the ball down the field.

I've liken our offense as a cross between the Atlanta Falcons and Pittsburgh steelers, with a dash of the New England Patriots, with a somewhat mobile QB. We are a pro-style offensive base, which will still use the FB as a lead, power blocker, but we will throw read-option elements at you. We won't want Lamar to beat you with his legs, as he certainly isn't Kincade, but he can with his arm.

We are balanced with lining up Raynard under center, in the pistol and shotgun.

Thanks for the insights! It's gonna be a battle! Football tonight, tomorrow and more later that day! BAM! I'm set!

ASU33
December 15th, 2017, 06:18 PM

NDSU fans are pretty cool but there's always that one troll in the bunch!

PantherRob82
December 15th, 2017, 08:33 PM
I'm even more pumped for this game now that I realized the other semifinal is on ESPNU and I don't have cable. It's sad how much they limit viewership by putting games on that channel. Hopefully the ol' rabbit ears like the ABC affiliate tomorrow. :D

Twentysix
December 15th, 2017, 10:55 PM
What time is this game, I want to be sure to start my nap just 5 minutes before it starts so I can hopefully sleep through the whole thing. ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzThat's hilarious

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Panther88
December 16th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Off to the stadium we go. I didn't have to drag my 1990 SHSU bearkat alum cousin to go to the game and represent our home area lol. xlolx Funny dude.

Sonic98
December 16th, 2017, 11:08 AM
I'm about to start streaming it now. NCAT probably winning halftime in a big way though. I predict they win game as well

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2017, 11:15 AM
A&T is working that Grambling defense...this is how A&T plays...very methodical and will eventually break a big play

caribbeanhen
December 16th, 2017, 11:26 AM
what if I start knocking on some doors and try to get this game moved down to Tropical Las Vegas? aka San Juan... would it work? Despite the fact that there is no football stadium here? But we do like to party!!!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26791&stc=1

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Anyone watching this?

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I am

th0m
December 16th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Sorta kinda

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 11:39 AM
There is some talent on these teams but they aren't the most disciplined. Blocking is a little suspect too. Looks like 2 borderline top 25 FCS squads.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 11:41 AM
Sorta kinda

There is some talent on these teams but they aren't the most disciplined. Blocking is a little suspect too. Looks like 2 borderline top 25 FCS squads.

I am just waiting for the SDSU vs JMU game to happen so this is more just to keep me going until the game I want is on. I do have it on mute though since I heard Jay Walker's voice.

th0m
December 16th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Yeah me too. I also found out these two teams play for the HBCU National Championship in this game. Didnt know that was a thing.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Seriously, can NCAT block for 5 step drops?

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 11:50 AM
They just said "Mercedes-Benz stadium will hand out a national title today," and I laughed so hard.

I need the subtitles to at least know how wrong these commentators can be.

SDSUAlum08
December 16th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Until these teams start playing in the FCS playoffs I would tell every other FCS team not to schedule them.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Jay Walker is an idiot.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Jay Walker is an idiot.

The mute button was created for this reason alone. xnodx

major095
December 16th, 2017, 11:57 AM
Until these teams start playing in the FCS playoffs I would tell every other FCS team not to schedule them.
Until the NCAA stops the bidding process allowing teams to buy home games and make the playoffs make financial sense I would tell teams to stop participating.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 11:59 AM
I wonder if we can send 6-8 win teams to 3 bowl games. This year Montana vs Delaware, YSU vs McNesse and ISUr vs EWU.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Until the NCAA stops the bidding process allowing teams to buy home games and make the playoffs make financial sense I would tell teams to stop participating.

You guys should easily win bids with your 50,000 people stadiums.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 12:02 PM

You are in D1 football! IF you can't afford it, GTFO, oh wait you already did by saying no to the TRUE D1 championship. Continue to believe it was "economically based" but we all know it was based on the inability to compete combined with the idea that ESPN/ABC were paying your schools an ungodly amount of money to play in a "bowl game".

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 12:02 PM
I wonder if we can send 6-8 win teams to 3 bowl games. This year Montana vs Delaware, YSU vs McNesse and ISUr vs EWU.

Call it the east-west classic, the north south classic, the also ran classic.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Call it the east-west classic, the north south classic, the also ran classic.
LOL.

I do think they would be interesting matchups. I mean the FBS does it, and every year there are 4 teams that get left out.

th0m
December 16th, 2017, 12:04 PM

those would actually be great matchups. Sort of like an NIT.

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2017, 12:07 PM
You are in D1 football! IF you can't afford it, GTFO, oh wait you already did by saying no to the TRUE D1 championship. Continue to believe it was "economically based" but we all know it was based on the inability to compete combined with the idea that ESPN/ABC were paying your schools an ungodly amount of money to play in a "bowl game".

*looks at the checks Grambling and A&T receive*

I’d beg to differ

TennBison
December 16th, 2017, 12:07 PM
But amazingly you found the time to watusi your arse in here to comment thoughxcoffeex
Yes, I had some downtime before the NDSU vs Sam Houston Elementary football game.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 12:09 PM
*looks at the checks Grambling and A&T receive*

I’d beg to differ

Then you completely just ignored the 2nd half of my post.

You are in D1 football...we all know it was based on the inability to compete combined with the idea that ESPN/ABC were paying your schools an ungodly amount of money to play in a "bowl game".

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:09 PM
On topic NCAT scores 7-0. Nice screen play.

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Touchdown A&T!

If you don’t want to discuss the damn game then go away...stop whining about MEAC and SWAC not sending the champ to playoffs...if you don’t give a damn, then stop giving a damn...

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Touchdown A&T!

If you don’t want to discuss the damn game then go away...stop whining about MEAC and SWAC not sending the champ to playoffs...if you don’t give a damn, then stop giving a damn...

Kind of hard to when Jay Walker says this is the National Title game.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Touchdown A&T!

Chill out man.

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2017, 12:13 PM
Kind of hard to when Jay Walker says this is the National Title game.

Not really...you don’t have to recognize it as a National title game if you don’t want to

But they are selling this game to the audience...it’s going to be called that whether you and I agree or not

I mean we’re really complaining...about football...crack a beer and watch the game

major095
December 16th, 2017, 12:14 PM
You sound mad bro. lol. So just tell me how paying to host a playoff game fits into rewarding football teams for their season? Yes, my school is an under resourced school as defined by the ncaa. there are lots of reasons for that, including that the state of mississippi did their best to starve hbcus of any and all resources (same in alabama and tennessee...they won lawsuits there against the state about 20 years ago, but surprisingly it takes more than 20 years to correct over a 100 years of inequality).

Have you ever even been on a hbcu campus? Been in a building that wasn't athletic in nature? have a friend that grad..wait I know that already. Assuming the answer is no (though I doubt it), you have a lot of criticisms but with very little knowledge.

Given the opportunity your school's admin would have to think long and hard about participating in something like the celebration bowl. They make decisions based in fact, not emotion. Dollars and cents make sense. take the trophy to star bucks. that a $6 will get you a coffee.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Not really...you don’t have to recognize it as a National title game if you don’t want to

But they are selling this game to the audience...it’s going to be called that whether you and I agree or not

I mean we’re really complaining...about football...crack a beer and watch the game

I am watching it. They just showed last years highlight play of the unsportsmanlike call. I am actually drinking a Jack and Coke.

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Chill out man.

Every time I decide to log on or check the site, it’s the same thing over and over again...

I remember when people in here were saying the MEAC should give up the auto bid because of the first round losses...now all of sudden it’s a problem...

th0m
December 16th, 2017, 12:18 PM
I'll say this, how awesome would it be to have the FCS chipper in the Georgia dome 2. It would be way too big obviously, but it looks sweet. Is there really nothing more suitable than Frisco? i.e. 30-35k wise and decent weather. Sorry OT again

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:20 PM
Every time I decide to log on or check the site, it’s the same thing over and over again...

I remember when people in here were saying the MEAC should give up the auto bid because of the first round losses...now all of sudden it’s a problem...

I mean most of wish that these leagues would participate in the playoffs. Nothing wrong with that. These teams would have trouble beating top FCS teams, but more than that these schools can really use the money. That's the reality most HBCU's live in. I am just going to enjoy watching this game.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:26 PM
That wing t looks a lot like NDSU's delta formation. 7-7

major095
December 16th, 2017, 12:27 PM
never knew that's was why they continue to run wing T. pretty cool. touchdown Icon!

Schism55
December 16th, 2017, 12:28 PM
There is a lot of empty seats there.
Edit- Also, why Jay Walker....why xbawlingx

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM
There is a lot of empty seats there
Even when these games sell out a lot of people are socializing near the concession stands.

major095
December 16th, 2017, 12:31 PM
lots of seats with butts in them too. it does after all seat 71k. we're good at filling them up for big games but this is only year 3. give us some time and we'll make it happen.

major095
December 16th, 2017, 12:35 PM
grambling blocked 2 against bama state.

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2017, 12:44 PM
The best case scenario for getting 45,000-50,000 in Mercedes Benz Stadium is a FAMU/Southern Match-up

major095
December 16th, 2017, 12:46 PM
there were a lot of empty seats in those jmu clips.

so the celebration bowl generates some coverage of the 2 semi games for the fcs...snicker

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Nice play. Looked like Russell Wilson.

Schism55
December 16th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Anyone know what the betting line was at kickoff?

major095
December 16th, 2017, 01:05 PM
Anyone know what the betting line was at kickoff?
I want to say that A&T was a 9.5 pt favorite.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2017, 01:11 PM

Why does it matter who plays them? I wish they played more playoff teams.

Prime Power
December 16th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I like Grambling's helmets, those look pretty slick.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Game is very evenly matched. I’ve been surprised by some of the awful throws by both QBs. Disappointed they don’t show both bands through halftime. You would think it would at least be an option on watch espn. Luckily the World Famous Gram Band went live on Facebook and I watched some random NCAT fan’s live Facebook feed of their band.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Even when these games sell out a lot of people are socializing near the concession stands.

So In other words, people do not give a ****
About the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 01:40 PM
So that just happened.

hebmskebm
December 16th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I like Grambling's helmets, those look pretty slick.

Has anyone seen Grambling, Georgia, and the Green Bay Packers in the same place at the same time?

major095
December 16th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Has anyone seen Grambling, Georgia, and the Green Bay Packers in the same place at the same time?
lol...also greenville high school here in south carolina

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 01:57 PM
This is such a sloppy game.

GAD
December 16th, 2017, 01:58 PM
That would hurt those teams alot more than it would hurt us

GAD
December 16th, 2017, 01:59 PM
Nice stop G men

IBleedYellow
December 16th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Want to see G Men win...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

th0m
December 16th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Are some of the refs/line judges wearing body cams? If so thats a cool idea. Wonder how long before we see players wear them?

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 02:09 PM
14 took a hit. Hope he is okay.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 02:11 PM
That would hurt those teams alot more than it would hurt us

Yes, not as many easy cupcake wins.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Grambling with the INT.

Schism55
December 16th, 2017, 02:14 PM
How many Int's in this game now?

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Another INT for Grambling

centennial
What the **** is this game? Sloppy.

th0m
Dang that aggie return man likes getting whallopped, doesnt he

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 02:20 PM
I guess it was an incompletion, but to ask the better question: What is considered a "catch"?

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 02:22 PM
I guess it was an incompletion, but to ask the better question: What is considered a "catch"?

Must complete the process of the catch. Must show clear possession.

WileECoyote06
December 16th, 2017, 02:22 PM
If those had been MEAC refs, that would have been ruled a fumble. xlolx

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Must complete the process of the catch. Must show clear possession.

I think you missed the joke. It would be nice if they had a universal rule, but they do not. Some people say Theilen and Dez caught it, some say they did not. It was more of trying to figure out why certain refs will call it a catch and certain ones will not.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 02:24 PM
I think you missed the joke. It would be nice if they had a universal rule, but they do not. Some people say Theilen and Dez caught it, some say they did not. It was more of trying to figure out why certain refs will call it a catch and certain ones will not.
Joke --->

Me

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 02:27 PM

So thats several people today....maybe your "jokes" need some work.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 02:32 PM
So thats several people today....maybe your "jokes" need some work.

Or your old and your sarcasm needs some work?

IBleedYellow
December 16th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Or your old and your sarcasm needs some work?Sarcasm is conveyed with tones and deflection of your voice....

Two things you can't possibly convey through text. You can't say something and then when no one likes it say "sarcasm, bro!"

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Congrats NC A&T!

Big Dawg
December 16th, 2017, 02:39 PM
That was an entertaining game down the stretch...using FBS offficiating crews and seems to help the flow of the game. If they had used MEAC or SWAC refs...OMG

The first three Celebration Bowl games have all come down to the wire.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Watching the Boise State game now. I want NDSU to play them.

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Sarcasm is conveyed with tones and deflection of your voice....

Two things you can't possibly convey through text. You can't say something and then when no one likes it say "sarcasm, bro!"

Who said anyone had to like it? When referring to a "catch" that is easily implied due to how horrible the refs are at determining what a catch actually is.

cx500d
December 16th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Watching the Boise State game now. I want NDSU to play them.

Scouting the Ducks already?

- - - Updated - - -

Who said anyone had to like it? When referring to a "catch" that is easily implied due to how horrible the refs are at determining what a catch actually is.

I'm confused....Is this a joke or sarcasm?

TheKingpin28
December 16th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Scouting the Ducks already?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm confused....Is this a joke or sarcasm?

Now you're getting it.

kdinva
December 16th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Congrats NC A&T!

do they want the Frisco winner?

DEX
December 16th, 2017, 07:47 PM
For the record NC A&T voted against the MEAC giving up the AQ, however majority rules and we are bound by the conferences decision to participate in the CB. Hopefully we will start scheduling other top 25 fcs teams during the regular season.

NDSUtk
December 16th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Edit- Also, why Jay Walker....why xbawlingxA LOT of empty seats. less than 17k in attendance. https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/942228695716155393
This is such a sloppy game.As was JMU-SDSU...well at least for SDSU

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scooter
December 16th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Congrats to NC A&T.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2017, 10:13 PM
A LOT of empty seats. less than 17k in attendance. https://twitter.com/FCS_STATS/status/942228695716155393As was JMU-SDSU...well at least for SDSU

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Wow. Attendance forecast seemed high after both teams selling through their first allotment early on.

Professor Chaos
December 16th, 2017, 10:18 PM
Wow. Attendance forecast seemed high after both teams selling through their first allotment early on.
Odd thing is the @CelebrationBowl official twitter handle and @HBCUGameday reporting a different number than what STATS and the ESPN box score have.

https://twitter.com/CelebrationBowl/status/942210792295944192

https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/942149058403160064

Maybe that goes to show some of the fuzzy math used to calculate attendance for college football at a lot of places. That 25k number is more than 50% higher than what the ESPN box score says. One of those is obviously wrong.

PantherRob82
December 17th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I wonder if attendance was hurt by both teams making their 2nd appearance in the three year history. Maybe a lack of interest in returning? Regardless of which number you use, attendance was down quite a bit.

WileECoyote06
December 17th, 2017, 07:49 AM
I think it was the triple-threat of higher ticket prices, losing their major sponsor, and road-weariness from Grambling fans that stunted attendance this year.

If A&T sold out of their initial allotment, they should have kept selling them to Aggie fans. lol

PantherRob82
December 17th, 2017, 07:53 AM
I think it was the triple-threat of higher ticket prices, losing their major sponsor, and road-weariness from Grambling fans that stunted attendance this year.

If A&T sold out of their initial allotment, they should have kept selling them to Aggie fans. lol

it would be nice if they could find a 35-40k stadium and pick it every year. They also need to show halftime in full either on TV or the Watch ESPN. Just frame the ABC feed with ads and keep it rolling. Gram band was great, NCAT I couldn’t really hear.

dewey
December 17th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Congratulations to North Carolina A & T on the undefeated season.

Dewey

dgtw
December 17th, 2017, 01:36 PM
For the record NC A&T voted against the MEAC giving up the AQ, however majority rules and we are bound by the conferences decision to participate in the CB. Hopefully we will start scheduling other top 25 fcs teams during the regular season.

If you have an open date on September 8 or 15, please call the Jacksonville State athletic department.

WestCoastAggie
December 17th, 2017, 01:48 PM
If you have an open date on September 8 or 15, please call the Jacksonville State athletic department.

We may have an open date the weekend of September 8th.

kdinva
December 17th, 2017, 08:09 PM
it would be nice if they could find a 35-40k stadium and pick it every year.

some options with Sun Belt/C-USA on campus facilities....

WestCoastAggie
December 17th, 2017, 09:29 PM
It’s not going to leave the Benz. It’s perfect for A&T and the MEAC.

We may very well head back there in 2018 on the backs of what we got returning. Most of our DL and OL will be intact sans Parker and Mack.

cx500d
December 17th, 2017, 09:32 PM

We may very well head back there in 2018 on the backs of what we got returning. Most of our DL and OL will be intact sans Parker and Mack.

Perfect? so 50,000 empty seats is perfect?

centennial
December 17th, 2017, 09:57 PM

This game should be in a 25k stadium. No more.

Big Dawg
December 18th, 2017, 12:06 AM

Eh...but then what happens when you do get that FAMU/SU match-up?

Gonna need way more than 25,000 seats for a match up like that.

Big Dawg
December 18th, 2017, 12:11 AM
FAMU vs SU in the Georgia Dome in 2011...so Mercedes Benz Stadium would be perfect for a match up like that. Of course, every game won’t bring that type of crowd...might screw around and have a Delaware State vs Texas Southern Celebration Bowl one day..

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26802&stc=1

Panther88
December 18th, 2017, 01:10 AM
Fun weekend. Hella' game. Hella' city.

dgtw
December 18th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Anyone get stuck at the airport?

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Eh...but then what happens when you do get that FAMU/SU match-up?

Gonna need way more than 25,000 seats for a match up like that.
Right? That’s why think 40,000 would be perfect. It raises the ceiling above the highest attendance so far, but would look a lot better with 25,000 or less than the Benz.

Do they have any ideas on a title sponsor for 2018? That seems like an important piece of the puzzle.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2017, 05:49 AM

I hope someone else makes it so we can get some more fans in the stands. Outside of FAMU, I don’t know who would really drive more. You guys have been twice and if North Carolina Central made it it would be their second appearance and they probably wouldn’t draw as well as the first time.

WileECoyote06
December 18th, 2017, 08:10 AM

There won't be many viable options for that in the MEAC-SWAC geographic imprint. I'm not aware of any 25K seat domed football stadiums in the southeast/southwest. And even if there is, is there a major airport nearby?

kdinva
December 18th, 2017, 08:52 AM
I'm not aware of any 25K seat domed football stadiums in the southeast/southwest.

why a domed stadium next to an airport?

AggieManiac704
December 18th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Black people + cold = no

TheKingpin28
December 18th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Black people + cold = no

Try explaining that one to the Subban's. xlolx

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM
I hope someone else makes it so we can get some more fans in the stands. Outside of FAMU, I don’t know who would really drive more. You guys have been twice and if North Carolina Central made it it would be their second appearance and they probably wouldn’t draw as well as the first time.

Southern would.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Southern would.
Speaking about the MEAC in reference to your return chances in 2018.

WestCoastAggie
December 18th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Speaking about the MEAC in reference to your return chances in 2018.

Well... We've increased our attendance each year we played in the game. A 3rd appurtenance would likely lead to even more Aggies coming to Atlanta.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2017, 01:34 PM
H
Well... We've increased our attendance each year we played in the game. A 3rd appurtenance would likely lead to even more Aggies coming to Atlanta.

Fair enough. I guess I shouldn’t just look at the overall number. I thought this matchup would lead to a record crowd.

ASU33
December 18th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Aggie fans did their jobs, they showed up and made up 3/4ths of the crowd. Grambling fans didn't show up at all. lot of the club seating on Grambling's side was occupied by Aggies. I'm not shocked because Grambling isn't exactly known for having a large traveling fan base. Congrats to A&T. You guys didn't play your best game but still pulled it out.

GAD
December 18th, 2017, 03:07 PM
There won't be many viable options for that in the MEAC-SWAC geographic imprint. I'm not aware of any 25K seat domed football stadiums in the southeast/southwest. And even if there is, is there a major airport nearby?
Tropicana Field is the only other dome I'm aware of.

GAD
December 18th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Ok I'll bite Why does a game that was able to draw 30K+ two times only need a 25K seat stadium?

ASU33
December 18th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Perfect? so 50,000 empty seats is perfect?

Capacity for the game was 42,500. They used the soccer layout with the 300 level seats covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Why when two of the games exceeded 30,000?

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Capacity for the game was 42,500. They used the soccer layout with the 300 level seats covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Why when two of the games exceeded 30,000?

25k seems small, but with the way things are trending and all the empty seats even with 30k in attendance, a smaller stadium may be necessary. Especially if they can’t get a title sponsor back on board.

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 09:17 AM
25k seems small, but with the way things are trending and all the empty seats even with 30k in attendance, a smaller stadium may be necessary. Especially if they can’t get a title sponsor back on board.

The title sponsor was the reason for the decline in the crowd, Grambing was. Grambing doesn't have a good traveling fan base. Their fans are now blaming having to travel to New Orleans, Houston, and Atlanta in a 3 week span as the reason they didn't show up but Grambing folks didn't show up in Houston either. What we SWAC schools need to do is beat Grambing and keep them the hell away from Atlanta. There was maybe 4,000 Grambing fans at the game on Saturday and that's being generous. There were almost as many Jackson State fans at the game as there were Grambing fans.

Professor
December 19th, 2017, 09:31 AM
If Southern ever makes it , it's gonna be electric.

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Any words on what the TV viewership was for this game yet? Looks like last year it was 2.711M. It will be interesting to see if the attendance dip this year was due to local factors like ticket prices since if the TV ratings are as good or better than last year that would likely have to be the case.

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Any words on what the TV viewership was for this game yet? Looks like last year it was 2.711M. It will be interesting to see if the attendance dip this year was due to local factors like ticket prices since if the TV ratings are as good or better than last year that would likely have to be the case.

Drew a 1.7 from what I saw.

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Drew a 1.7 from what I saw.
That's pretty decent then. Last year it drew a 1.8 (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/2/) which equated to those 2.711M viewers. If that's true the attendance dip is probably nothing to worry about. It'll still be the most watched FCS football game by a long shot this year.

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 09:46 AM
That's pretty decent then. Last year it drew a 1.8 (http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/2/) which equated to those 2.711M viewers. If that's true the attendance dip is probably nothing to worry about. It'll still be the most watched FCS football game by a long shot this year.

Attendance should've been better though. Only 25k for a matchup like That? The other games were over 30k with matchups that weren't as intriguing. I'm embarrassed for our conference. The SWAC prides itself on having great fans and the most stories program in the conference has fans that didn't show up. A lot of the black and gold in section 125 where I was was actually local Kennesaw State fans who were local and wanted to get out and watch some football.

Panther88
December 19th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Attendance should've been better though. Only 25k for a matchup like That? The other games were over 30k with matchups that weren't as intriguing. I'm embarrassed for our conference. The SWAC prides itself on having great fans and the most stories program in the conference has fans that didn't show up. A lot of the black and gold in section 125 where I was was actually local Kennesaw State fans who were local and wanted to get out and watch some football.

There were a few of us western most (PVers) who showed up. I don't think it's fair to fault the Grambling St contingent too much. It's a lot to ask for them to pay/travel to the BC in the N.O., next week travel to htown for the SCG, and then a week.5 later, travel to the ATL for the CB. That's a god awful lot of travel and $$$$$ to spend. I made the SCG and CB so I'm decently happy w/ what I spent, considering it was only a 45 minute drive to nrg + game ticket.

cx500d
December 19th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Official count was in the 16K range.

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Official count was in the 16K range.

The official count was 25,873

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM
That was a little eyebrow raising to me. ESPN's box score on Saturday reported 16k and change and since then it was changed to 25,873: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400953321

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 09:56 AM
There were a few of us western most (PVers) who showed up. I don't think it's fair to fault the Grambling St contingent too much. It's a lot to ask for them to pay/travel to the BC in the N.O., next week travel to htown for the SCG, and then a week.5 later, travel to the ATL for the CB. That's a god awful lot of travel and $$$$$ to spend. I made the SCG and CB so I'm decently happy w/ what I spent, considering it was only a 45 minute drive to nrg + game ticket.

Grambling fans didn't show up in Houston either. Alcorn fans outnumbered them 2 to 1 in NEG. Their excuse was that they were saving for Atlanta so they skipped out on Houston. They didn't show for either. Also Southern carries the attendance for the Bayou Classic. The dome is about 60% southern fans.

cx500d
December 19th, 2017, 09:57 AM

Who to believe?

16,701?Attendance figures reported by both the MEAC (http://static.meacsports.com/custompages/stats/football/2017/ncat1216.htm) and SWAC (http://www.swac.org/ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&CONTENT_ID=2141470) report the gameday attendance at just over 16,700 people.
But the MEAC press release (http://www.meacsports.com/news/2017/12/16/football-12-0-aggies-win-celebration-bowl-finish-season-undefeated.aspx) notes more than 25,000 attendees at the game,
https://hbcudigest.com/numbers-to-know-from-the-2017-celebration-bowl/

Game results

Date
MEAC Team
SWAC Team
Attendance
Series
Notes

December 19, 2015 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Celebration_Bowl)
North Carolina A&T Aggies (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_North_Carolina_A%26T_Aggies_football_team)
Alcorn State Braves (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Alcorn_State_Braves_football_team)
MEAC 1–0
notes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Celebration_Bowl)

December 17, 2016 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Celebration_Bowl)
North Carolina Central Eagles (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_North_Carolina_Central_Eagles_football_team)
Grambling State Tigers (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Grambling_State_Tigers_football_team)
TIED 1–1
notes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Celebration_Bowl)

December 16, 2017 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Celebration_Bowl)
North Carolina A&T Aggies (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_Carolina_A%26T_Aggies_football_team)
Grambling State Tigers (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Grambling_State_Tigers_football_team)
MEAC 2–1
notes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Celebration_Bowl)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebration_Bowl

Panther88
December 19th, 2017, 09:59 AM
Grambling fans didn't show up in Houston either. Alcorn fans outnumbered them 2 to 1 in NEG. Their excuse was that they were saving for Atlanta so they skipped out on Houston. They didn't show for either. Also Southern carries the attendance for the Bayou Classic. The dome is about 60% southern fans.

+1. True. SU does carry the brunt of attendance in the CB. But still... that's a god awful lot of travel during a 4-week span for an avg fan who may not live in tx/la. Think about those who are on the west/east coast specifically. Can you imagine?

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Who to believe?

16,701?Attendance figures reported by both the MEAC (http://static.meacsports.com/custompages/stats/football/2017/ncat1216.htm) and SWAC (http://www.swac.org/ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&CONTENT_ID=2141470) report the gameday attendance at just over 16,700 people.
But the MEAC press release (http://www.meacsports.com/news/2017/12/16/football-12-0-aggies-win-celebration-bowl-finish-season-undefeated.aspx) notes more than 25,000 attendees at the game,

Game results

Date
MEAC Team
SWAC Team
Attendance
Series
Notes

December 19, 2015 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Celebration_Bowl)
North Carolina A&T Aggies (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_North_Carolina_A%26T_Aggies_football_team)
Alcorn State Braves (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Alcorn_State_Braves_football_team)
MEAC 1–0
notes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Celebration_Bowl)

December 17, 2016 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Celebration_Bowl)
North Carolina Central Eagles (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_North_Carolina_Central_Eagles_football_team)
Grambling State Tigers (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Grambling_State_Tigers_football_team)
TIED 1–1
notes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Celebration_Bowl)

December 16, 2017 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Celebration_Bowl)
North Carolina A&T Aggies (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_Carolina_A%26T_Aggies_football_team)
Grambling State Tigers (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Grambling_State_Tigers_football_team)
MEAC 2–1
notes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/safari-reader://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Celebration_Bowl)

NC A&T sold more than that amount of tickets by themselves. 25k was what was reported on Saturday at the game. There more than 16k Aggies there alone. The Aggies definitely did their part.

cx500d
December 19th, 2017, 10:08 AM
NC A&T sold more than that amount of tickets by themselves. 25k was what was reported on Saturday at the game. There more than 16k Aggies there alone. The Aggies definitely did their part.

Sold and showed up are two different counts. In many of these bowl games, participating schools are required to buy a specific quantity of tickets. These show up as sold. That's why for many of the lower tier bowl games from the MAC schools, etc., bowls are a money loser because the school is forced to buy the unsold tickets, then they play in mostly empty stadiums.

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Sold and showed up are two different counts. In many of these bowl games, participating schools are required to buy a specific quantity of tickets. These show up as sold. That's why for many of the lower tier bowl games from the MAC schools, etc., bowls are a money loser because the school is forced to buy the unsold tickets, then they play in mostly empty stadiums.

The Aggies were There! Both 100 level and 200 level seats. They bought the ground level and end zone seats too!

Professor
December 19th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Who to believe?

16,701?

Attendance figures reported by both the MEAC (http://static.meacsports.com/custompages/stats/football/2017/ncat1216.htm) and SWAC (http://www.swac.org/ViewContent.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27400&CONTENT_ID=2141470) report the gameday attendance at just over 16,700 people.

Game results

Date
MEAC Team
SWAC Team
Attendance
Series
Notes

MEAC 1–0

TIED 1–1

MEAC 2–1

The 16k was the turnstile count. The 25 K is the official count with all the giveaways etc. The person who announced the attendance to press made a mistake

Professor
December 19th, 2017, 10:59 AM

In the Celebration Bowl , school is given 200k worth of tickets. You keep 100% of what you sale. We got an additional 200K due to the demand. We made 550k in 2015 , this time should be close to 700K

cx500d
December 19th, 2017, 11:23 AM
In the Celebration Bowl , school is given 200k worth of tickets. You keep 100% of what you sale. We got an additional 200K due to the demand. We made 550k in 2015 , this time should be close to 700K

How do you make $700K off $400K worth of tickets? Are you scalping them?

Professor
December 19th, 2017, 12:58 PM
How do you make $700K off $400K worth of tickets? Are you scalping them?

No genius.

Each conference get $1 million a piece. The participating schools get $600,000 of that money plus all revenue they generate from ticket sales. This is why it is important to buy your game tickets from your school and not from ticket master.

outside of the paid allotment, the bowl pays for the expenses of the band's travel and hotel and travel and hotel of the team up to 120 people including two plated dinners, private tours of the Georgia Aquarium ($35 general admission ticket) and College Hall of Fame Museum ($35 general admission ticket) as well as a Bowl Gift Room for the players.

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2017, 01:27 PM
I think A&T would have made some noise in the playoffs this year.

ASU33
December 19th, 2017, 07:58 PM
The North Carolina A&T-Grambling State game drew a 1.59 overnight rating on ABC Saturday afternoon, down from a 2.0 rating from last season (https://hbcusports.com/2016/12/20/2016-celebration-bowl-drew-more-tv-viewers-increased-online-interest/), according to Show Buzz Daily. Sports Media Watch reported the game drew a 1.6 rating.
https://hbcusports.com/2017/12/19/2017-celebration-bowl-television-rating-down-from-last-seasons-matchup/

The inaugural Celebration Bowl in 2015 between Alcorn State and North Carolina A&T drew a 1.9 overnight rating (https://hbcusports.com/2015/12/21/celebration-bowl-draws-impressive-overnight-rating-to-open-bowl-season/).
The third installment of the bowl season opener, which peaked at 2.3 million viewers, did garner a higher rating than the New Orleans Bowl (0.87), New Mexico Bowl (0.75), the Camellia Bowl (0.73) and the Division II national championship game (0.36) also played on Saturday.
The Las Vegas Bowl was the highest rated bowl game of the day with a 2.32 overnight rating.

Bisonoline
December 19th, 2017, 08:08 PM

I think this game is structured differently than most bowl games. Now schools can negotiate the amount of tickets they are obligated to pay for. Plus the unsold tickets get eaten by the conference because everything is now pooled.

WestCoastAggie
December 20th, 2017, 09:30 PM
ESPN corrected the attendance to 25,873.

cx500d
December 20th, 2017, 11:18 PM
ESPN corrected the attendance to 25,873.

Did you not read what the professor posted? 16K was turnstile count.

WestCoastAggie
December 21st, 2017, 09:17 AM

Ima stick with what ESPN is reporting on this one. Hehe.

Professor
December 21st, 2017, 10:57 AM

The 16K is the turnstile count. The 25 K is the official count. The turnstile count is NEVER reported. Person made a mistake. If schools gave out the turnstile count , no one would ever sale out

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2017, 11:16 AM
The 16K is the turnstile count. The 25 K is the official count. The turnstile count is NEVER reported. Person made a mistake. If schools gave out the turnstile count , no one would ever sale out
It is for the FCS playoffs...

Professor
December 21st, 2017, 11:35 AM
It is for the FCS playoffs...

Lol the MEAC champion doesn't participate in the FCS playoffs

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2017, 11:38 AM
Lol the MEAC champion doesn't participate in the FCS playoffs
I realize that. I'm just saying that people like to take shots at the FCS playoff attendance figures when it's nothing but paid tickets reported and I think some of those folks would be surprised what actual paid attendance is at most games when you take out comped tickets... this is a great example.

Professor
December 21st, 2017, 11:40 AM
I realize that. I'm just saying that people like to take shots at the FCS playoff attendance figures when it's nothing but paid tickets reported and I think some of those folks would be surprised what actual paid attendance is at most games when you take out comped tickets... this is a great example.

I really care less about attendance. I'm more so concerned about money. And when your paying 80 percent to the NCAA , I would make sure my number is as low as possible

cx500d
December 21st, 2017, 11:23 PM
Professor vs Professor....I like it. Seems like I read that in a Mad Magazine years ago.

WestCoastAggie
December 22nd, 2017, 09:16 AM
Professor vs Professor....I like it. Seems like I read that in a Mad Magazine years ago.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2017/10/SOUTHPARK-zuckerberg-1024x519.jpg&w=1484

cx500d
December 22nd, 2017, 09:22 PM
https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2017/10/SOUTHPARK-zuckerberg-1024x519.jpg&w=1484
I was thinking more like this:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/005/0/7192588/il_fullxfull.384981304_lz8j.jpg

Laker
December 22nd, 2017, 09:38 PM
I was thinking more like this:

https://img0.etsystatic.com/005/0/7192588/il_fullxfull.384981304_lz8j.jpg

That is what I thought- Spy v Spy.