PDA

View Full Version : Quarterfinal: Wofford @ NDSU

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2017, 07:53 AM
What do Bison fans, Valley rubes, Wofford and AGS guys think about this one?

I posted a bunch of thoughts in the NDSU/USD thread so I wont repeat a bunch of it here.

IMO, Wofford is solid and it will be a defensive battle. Both have very good defenses and both can run the ball effectively.

Bison need to bring their A game to this one.

dewey
December 3rd, 2017, 07:59 AM
Can you add a poll to this thread honey man?

Dewey

Laker
December 3rd, 2017, 08:00 AM

Dewey

I'll vote for NDSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2017, 08:03 AM

Dewey

Never done one....give me the cliff notes to do it...:D

mmiller_34
December 3rd, 2017, 08:37 AM
I think this will be the toughest test for NDSU on their side of the bracket. I think NDSU pulls it out though.

dewey
December 3rd, 2017, 08:46 AM

Dewey

LOL! I know how to add it to an new thread but not an existing one. I would just a pm to Ursus.

Dewey

dewey
December 3rd, 2017, 08:46 AM
I think this will be the toughest test for NDSU on their side of the bracket. I think NDSU pulls it out though.

^^^^This right here.

Dewey

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 08:54 AM
Seems to me like Wofford will be a big test for the Bison. They will give us a great game. But I do think NDSU is just a little bit better and comes out of it with a one score victory, maybe 8-10. The Bison LBs are going to have to be huge in this game, but they have been playing insanely well so I believe they will be spot on.

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 08:57 AM
^^^^This right here.

Dewey

Yep, at least the won't be handing out rain slickers at the gate, never good to leave the game with splattered blood stains after witnessing the annual slaughter

Bernstein? that was a good game about 5 years ago, not sure Wofford is as good as that team but hopefully good enough to keep things interesting for a while

Sorry to say it, but the entire playoffs are just a charade, appears there are only 2 good teams in FCS, with the caveat being S Dak State

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 09:03 AM
Both run defenses will need to be on point this game. Wofford's triple option presents a unique challenge for the Bison defense and NDSU's run game has been bulldozing defenses ever since the loss to SDSU but Wofford is almost certainly the best team the Bison have played since SDSU. I think points will be at a premium in this game similar to the 2012 quarterfinal (but probably still higher scoring than the 14-7 final in that game).

Doe Wofford have a decent FG kicker this time around? I seem to recall their FG kicking game left a lot to be desired their last time in the Fargodome. :)

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2017, 09:13 AM
Both run defenses will need to be on point this game. Wofford's triple option presents a unique challenge for the Bison defense and NDSU's run game has been bulldozing defenses ever since the loss to SDSU but Wofford is almost certainly the best team the Bison have played since SDSU. I think points will be at a premium in this game similar to the 2012 quarterfinal (but probably still higher scoring than the 14-7 final in that game).

Doe Wofford have a decent FG kicker this time around? I seem to recall their FG kicking game left a lot to be desired their last time in the Fargodome. :)A bad field goal kicker could be a plus for Wofford, a running team that uses all 4 downs to get 10 yards is what I wish we would do more often. A field goal is a mental defeat for the team that kicks one or maybe it is just a mental defeat for me. xnodx

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 09:15 AM

Doe Wofford have a decent FG kicker this time around? I seem to recall their FG kicking game left a lot to be desired their last time in the Fargodome. :)
Stats say he is 40-40 on extra points and is 10-11 on field goals. But no stats that I can find on the length of FG attempts. He also seems to be their punter as well.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 09:19 AM
Going to be a low scoring affair obviously. Both teams hold on to the ball and grind drives. Wofford held the ball for almost 12 minutes in the fourth quarter yesterday. Furman has a pretty good offense, but they only got 10 possessions all game...5 each half and only one in the 4th. Hard to score when you don't have the ball. But that applies to Wofford as well. NDSU has an even better TOP than Wofford.....going to be a good one most likely.

As far as FGs go Wofford has done this below. So under 40, probably money. Over, only made one, and missed one, hard to tell. Indoors? Who knows.

Made

Missed

BisonFan Spouse
December 3rd, 2017, 09:20 AM
What do Bison fans, Valley rubes, Wofford and AGS guys think about this one?

I posted a bunch of thoughts in the NDSU/USD thread so I wont repeat a bunch of it here.

IMO, Wofford is solid and it will be a defensive battle. Both have very good defenses and both can run the ball effectively.

Bison need to bring their A game to this one.

I am sure we saw their A-Game yesterday!

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 09:23 AM
One other thing that Wofford does without a huge amount of hesitation is go for it on 4th down while still in their own territory. Seen a few time around their 35-50. Obviously they especially do it with 1 or 2 yards to go. They were going to do it yesterday but got a false start and ended up punting. I want to say they did it against us this year and made it. They don't do it always, but their coach has a sense for it.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 3rd, 2017, 09:27 AM
The key (IMO) to giving yourself a decent change to win against NDSU with an option team is to pound it up the middle until you create room on the perimeter to run.

The big question to me is if Wofford has the guy that can do up the middle what Eric Breiteinstein did in 2012 or what the Jerick McKinnon/Dominique Swope duo also did that same year.

I see Wofford having some shorter drives than they had in 2012 and it'll be close for a while but NDSU wins in a score something like 24-10.

dewey
December 3rd, 2017, 09:46 AM
Yep, at least the won't be handing out rain slickers at the gate, never good to leave the game with splattered blood stains after witnessing the annual slaughter

Bernstein? that was a good game about 5 years ago, not sure Wofford is as good as that team but hopefully good enough to keep things interesting for a while

Sorry to say it, but the entire playoffs are just a charade, appears there are only 2 good teams in FCS, with the caveat being S Dak State

I was at that Wofford NDSU quarterfinal game in 2012. Breitenstein (SP?) was a BEAST but thankfully for the Bison Grant Olson continually answered the bell that day. He finished the game with 29 tackles. Plus NDSU made a HUGE 4th downs stop on Wofford inside the NDSU 15 (maybe 10) late in the game to seal it. That was a heck of a battle.

I think it has been JMU and NDSU all year long but SDSU is close. I really want to see that game between SDSU and JMU. That should be a heck of a game.

Dewey

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 09:49 AM
The key (IMO) to giving yourself a decent change to win against NDSU with an option team is to pound it up the middle until you create room on the perimeter to run.

The big question to me is if Wofford has the guy that can do up the middle what Eric Breiteinstein did in 2012 or what the Jerick McKinnon/Dominique Swope duo also did that same year.

I see Wofford having some shorter drives than they had in 2012 and it'll be close for a while but NDSU wins in a score something like 24-10.

Their FB, Andre Stoddard, is pretty good. Hefty guy at 5'10" 230. He went 17 for 64 yesterday for 3.8/carry. That was right about his average of 67 a game. Per carry on the year he is at 4.9. Not huge numbers but if he can get 4 a carry on average, that isn't bad. Their back up went 8 for 43 for 5.4 a carry. So they got 100+ from the FB.

Only time Wofford's run game was shut down was against us when we held them to 89 yards....but then they just passed for 200+. That is what makes them dangerous. They have a capable pass game that they can rely on or simply sting you when you are stacking the box against them. You saw their passing ability in the last drive of the first half yesterday. 5 plays, 64 yards, 4 passes (3/4), 1 run....TD.

dewey
December 3rd, 2017, 09:50 AM

You obviously have seen way more TO than I have but I thought the biggest difference between the 2011 and 2012 GSU teams was McKinnon at QB. Dude could get to the outside and always seemed to find a crease and fall forward. He seemed to make the offense very dangerous while the 2011 QB (name slips my mind) didn't have the quickness to get to the edges.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 09:51 AM
I was at that Wofford NDSU quarterfinal game in 2012. Breitenstein (SP?) was a BEAST but thankfully for the Bison Grant Olson continually answered the bell that day. He finished the game with 29 tackles. Plus NDSU made a HUGE 4th downs stop on Wofford inside the NDSU 15 (maybe 10) late in the game to seal it. That was a heck of a battle.

I think it has been JMU and NDSU all year long but SDSU is close. I really want to see that game between SDSU and JMU. That should be a heck of a game.

Dewey

Yep, me too, I think we are going to get that game

JSUSoutherner
December 3rd, 2017, 09:53 AM
Never done one....give me the cliff notes to do it...:D
At the top of the thread, click "thread tools" and then "Create a Poll". Then fill in the fields and voilà.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 09:57 AM
A bad field goal kicker could be a plus for Wofford, a running team that uses all 4 downs to get 10 yards is what I wish we would do more often. A field goal is a mental defeat for the team that kicks one or maybe it is just a mental defeat for me. xnodx
Sometimes. It's less deflating than getting inside the opponents' 10 and getting nothing though which Wolford did twice late in the 2012 quarterfinal these two teams played. One drive ended in a blocked 26 yard FG and the other ended with a 4th and 3 stop at the NDSU 6 by tackling machine Grant Olson.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2017, 10:00 AM
At the top of the thread, click "thread tools" and then "Create a Poll". Then fill in the fields and voilà.

Thanks....I should pay attention more....xrolleyesx

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2017, 10:01 AM
There's going to obviously be comparisons to the 2012 team. This team is better than them (this may be a long post, not sure).

Before anyone starts getting philosophical on stopping the triple option: I personally never think it's a cypher that needs to be cracked. Bad defenses can't stop it and good/great defenses have as much luck as they do with other defenses. So before we begin, that's something I want to lay down first, because a lot of times fans of opposing teams try to find example x, y or z to say to themselves conclusively "why yes we will easily shut this down" and it's not really the case. Being in the Socon where there's been 2-3 option teams every year since like 2010, I can tell you that there's a lot of examples of teams doing really well against one option and then getting whipped on another.

Anyway, North Dakota State is easily the most balanced team Wofford has faced this year. I think we're capable of winning in Fargo, but obviously that's a tall order. Outside of the x's and o's aspects of things, Wofford's a team that expects to win every game they play and doesn't get down when they're losing. We've trailed multiple games this year or gave the opposition the ball when we were up by less than a touchdown and the defense/team did not flinch. It may not translate to a victory, but my point is that you can expect these guys to be mentally tough and not mail it in, even if they get down early.

As for differences with the 2012 team/strengths of this team, here are a few:

1) We have an intermediate pass game. It used to be that 3rd and 5 to 10 would be an insurmountable problem, but not anymore.
2) We have a great QB. last time when we came to Fargo, we were bouncing around 3 different QBs. Brandon Goodson is better than any of them and is one of the few QBs in Mike Ayers's tenure to throw for 1000 yards. Even if Brandon Goodson has a bad day, backup Joe Newman is lightning fast and can change the pace up on the Bison defense. If it's, like 10-0 halfway through the fourth quarter favoring the Bison, Newman could come in and change the feel of the game.
3) we may not pound it as much to the fullback, but our skill guys are probably better than they were then.

Long story short: our offense is better. I don't know what score to expect, because again the Bison defense is stout and one of the best we'll see, but I don't think we'll get shut out. We have a veteran OL (4 seniors) Our kicker is clutch inside 40 and has shown slight improvement over the year (also, I have no idea how he'll kick in a dome), but not so much from farther than that so the 20 yards between the 30 and 50, pending on distance may be four down territory.

On defense, I'd also say we are more athletic than we were the last time we played, most notable on the DL and the secondary. We've always had great linebackers and the ones we have now are no exception, but on the DL we are staggeringly good. No team has been able to run straight at us all year (though to be fair, the last MVFC team to try to was able). Defensive ends Miles Brown and Tyler Vaughn are probably All Americans (I think both were last year?). to put things in perspective, we run a 3-4 defense, but we got 4 DL who have gotten some sort of all socon honors. In the secondary, we run a zone that is liable to the dink and dunk, but we have really good corners in Devin Watson (cousin of Houston Texans' QB Deshaun Watson), George Gbesee and Dominque Lemon. The former two are great at forcing turnovers (not just picks), the latter is a monster at stopping the run (watch his film against Furman). All three have unique closing speed and are great at open field tackles.

Obviously none of this necessarily translates to a victory on Saturday. This is just a rundown of who we are. There's more to talk about/analyze (like our close wins), but I think this is a good primer and long enough post.

woffordgrad94
December 3rd, 2017, 10:04 AM
The game might just come down to how much the Bison throw the ball. Wofford beat Furman solidly because Furman kept trying to run the ball. The times they passed it they had success but they just didn’t pass it enough. Wofford is very good stopping the run but dreadful against the pass. If NDSU runs the ball a lot, the game will be much closer than if they throw it around the yard...because Wofford is helpless against the forward pass.

kdinva
December 3rd, 2017, 10:05 AM
wasn't the 2012 game in Fargo where the KO returner didn't take a knee and gave the Bizon 6 gift points?

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2017, 10:09 AM
The game might just come down to how much the Bison throw the ball. Wofford beat Furman solidly because Furman kept trying to run the ball. The times they passed it they had success but they just didn’t pass it enough. Wofford is very good stopping the run but dreadful against the pass. If NDSU runs the ball a lot, the game will be much closer than if they throw it around the yard...because Wofford is helpless against the forward pass.

NDSU will run the ball but the passing game might help back off the defense to open up the run game more.

Wofford's front 7 on defense look really good. Strength vs strength in this game.

- - - Updated - - -

wasn't the 2012 game in Fargo where the KO returner didn't take a knee and gave the Bizon 6 gift points?

UNI game

Wofford scored on a pick 6 the last time these teams met.

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 10:52 AM
Sometimes. It's less deflating than getting inside the opponents' 10 and getting nothing though which Wolford did twice late in the 2012 quarterfinal these two teams played. One drive ended in a blocked 26 yard FG and the other ended with a 4th and 3 stop at the NDSU 6 by tackling machine Grant Olson.
If I remember that play correctly, Wofford did not give the ball to their #1 back on that play. Which was a head scratcher to me because NDSU really had not been able to stop him for any real short gains all game, he was always getting 4-5 yards it seemed. Wofford went to the #2 back and he was stopped for either a no gain or loss on a run to the right.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2017, 11:24 AM
This year, Wofford doesn't have a #1 back.

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 11:28 AM
No, but off the top of my head, if I remember right, I believe you might be thinking of the UNI game against Lehigh. UNI player did something like that and Lehigh hit the ball out of his hand and covered it in the endzone for a TD.

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 11:31 AM
I didn't mean #1 back per say, But I can't spell that #7 guys last name from 2012 to save my life ATM. The one who was a beast all year long, what ever happened to him, he did get into the NFL for a little bit didn't he?

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 11:36 AM
And this is just to be perfectly clear. IMO this is going to be a hell of a game, nothing but kudos to Wofford, they seem to be playing top notch football.

dewey
December 3rd, 2017, 11:37 AM
If I remember that play correctly, Wofford did not give the ball to their #1 back on that play. Which was a head scratcher to me because NDSU really had not been able to stop him for any real short gains all game, he was always getting 4-5 yards it seemed. Wofford went to the #2 back and he was stopped for either a no gain or loss on a run to the right.

Are you talking about Eric Breitenstein from the 2012 game? That dude was a beast.

Here is a little bit about what happened to him after his stellar career at Wofford.
http://www.goupstate.com/news/20130427/breitenstein-niam-go-undrafted-earn-nfl-tryouts

He was selected to the Wofford athletic Hall of Fame.
http://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/local_sports/breitenstein-selected-for-wofford-hall-of-fame-updates-with-comments/article_a45925b2-1ea3-56fd-b575-8a50a6300f71.html

And this is just to be perfectly clear. IMO this is going to be a hell of a game, nothing but kudos to Wofford, they seem to be playing top notch football.^^^Absolutely agree!

Bison 1660 am had Wofford at #4 in their preseason poll and did a nice interview with the Wofford beat writer. The consistency amongst their athletic program is amazing.

Here is the interview they had.
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-fcs-preseason-top-10-4-wofford-mark-hauser

Dewey

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 11:37 AM

As it should be in the triple option.

Before yesterday, your top 6 runners had:

I like that. Our top 6 were about the same spread:

It's nice to have a stud, but you got to keep the D guessing....and your backs fresh.

I was actually surprised you had as much success running as you did yesterday. Your play calling has been way better at the end of season.

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2017, 12:18 PM
I am sure we saw their A-Game yesterday!

Some of Stick's play yesterday was far from an "A" game. If that was his "A" game I'd hate to see what his D or F game is.

dungeonjoe
December 3rd, 2017, 12:26 PM
No, but off the top of my head, if I remember right, I believe you might be thinking of the UNI game against Lehigh. UNI player did something like that and Lehigh hit the ball out of his hand and covered it in the endzone for a TD.

No...Lord, don't make me remember that nightmare. Wofford/UNI Our guy caught kickoff in the end zone...threw it down as if it were a touchback...it was ruled a fumble... and UNI jumped on it.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 12:38 PM
Some of Stick's play yesterday was far from an "A" game. If that was his "A" game I'd hate to see what his D or F game is.

I did not watch a lot of the game, maybe a drive or two for each team, but I wasn't impressed with his performance on the drives I saw. Figured I saw the bad ones. I saw a couple dropped passes as well. I figured they were just playing down a bit though. Easy to do. No insult to SD but the level of skill is pretty wide.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 12:39 PM
I saw it when I was in the stands in Brookings.

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2017, 12:40 PM
What concerns me about this version of the Bison vs. our 2012 version is the player comparisons of what we had vs who we now have. Bison fans who would be your equivalent or better player on this years Bison team (defensively)? Not just saying who plays the same position now vs then but compared to who we had then which players are as good or better than the same position players from the 2012 team on defense? Here are the difference makers in my opinion on defense from the 2012 team.

2012 player Position
Marcus Williams CB
Andre Martin Jr. CB
Colton Heagle SS
Esley Thorton LB
Jordan Champion CB
Grant Olson LB
Christian Dudzik S
Carleton Littlejohn LB
Travis Beck LB
Kyle Emmanuel DE
LeeVon Perry DT
Brian Schatz DL

I didn't include every player defensively from that team but the ones I have highlighted I think are better than the current players at that position with the exception of Deluca. It's hard to find any fault with any of the players from that team as they were all champions but we were loaded on defense and yet I find it interesting that so many are saying this years defense is better. I don't think it is not that its bad but we had some real studs and I'm sure I'm leaving a few off but like I said these came to mind. Olson, Beck Heagle Emmanuel Schatz, Perry, Williams and Martin Jr. were some special players in my opinion. Again not selling our current defensive players short this is just my opinion.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2017, 01:02 PM

Nope it was UNI vs. Wofford, 2011. We lost by a touchdown.

To be fair though, statistically that was one of the weaker Wofford teams to make the playoffs.

I didn't mean #1 back per say, But I can't spell that #7 guys last name from 2012 to save my life ATM. The one who was a beast all year long, what ever happened to him, he did get into the NFL for a little bit didn't he?

When I say #1 back, I mean/meant we don't have a featured back. Eric Breitenstein was great, but the problem was we leaned on him so heavily that it literally took us 4 years after he graduated to develop a decent, consistent offense.

EB was signed by the Panthers but was cut in preseason. He now teaches middle school science and coaches middle school football in Arizona.

And this is just to be perfectly clear. IMO this is going to be a hell of a game, nothing but kudos to Wofford, they seem to be playing top notch football.

I agree. I apologize if you interpreted my prior comments as snark. We're at the point in the playoffs where nothing can really be predicted with reasonable certainty in my opinion.

As it should be in the triple option.

Before yesterday, your top 6 runners had:

I like that. Our top 6 were about the same spread:

It's nice to have a stud, but you got to keep the D guessing....and your backs fresh.

I was actually surprised you had as much success running as you did yesterday. Your play calling has been way better at the end of season.

the difference between Wofford 2012 offense and the Wofford 2017 offense is this: Wofford's 2012 offense was basically Furman's offense this year, except not as good. We blew the breaks off of bad teams early on in the season (Gardner Webb, Elon, WCU, D2 team) averaging 53 points in our first 4. From there, our offense didn't score 30 on anyone except App State (which I'm pretty sure we got a few scores that weren't from the offense in that one too). So the averages and early season eye test kind of distorted some systemic flaws in our ability to move the ball, which NDSU was able to counter.

Meanwhile, the offense for Wofford is painfully consistent, no matter who we play. With the exception of FBS South Carolina, we've been good for 20-30 points a game. On the surface, that's not very impressive, but we average probably 10 possessions a game, which is like 45ish% of the time, we score. That's not bad, that's actually comparable to every other remaining team in the field (I have to check that though).We play the style of game that won't see either team score 40 or even the high 30s unless someone is crazy efficient or there are a bunch of turnovers.

On defense, we're a little bit better than the statistics show, especially with points per game. In the early part of the season, teams scored on broken plays or with short field position due to turnovers or in one case, bad kick coverage (Mercer, Western Carolina, Gardner Webb and Furman the first time come to mind). Right now, we're playing our best ball on that side, holding three straight FCS teams to below 20 points in regulation, with the most impressive being against Furman, who averaged north of 35 in points per game against FCS competition. Our core competency is stopping the run, and we're statistically one of the best at doing so remaining in the field. The stats are a little skewed, because we played the Citadel, Furman (twice), South Carolina and Western Carolina, some of the best run teams in the country. Having said that, MVFC teams run differently than Southern Conference teams.

We've let teams back into games this year because of the soft zone we run and strength up front, we've put a lot of teams in third and mid or long and they've passed to the "hole" in the zone. The quick hitters kill us, but at the same time, most teams don't want to rely on that as their sole offense as they have the pride to run the ball. But with teams who can't, that's what they go to.

the keys to this game (beyond turnovers, obviously) will be third downs. Wofford's offense converts better on third downs now than they did in 2012, but they also have had a harder time getting off the field on third downs (see above paragraph).

FWIW I like the chances of this Wofford team compared to 2012. We're just more consistent on offense and our defense I think is a little bit better than the stats suggest.

X-Factor
December 3rd, 2017, 01:02 PM
What concerns me about this version of the Bison vs. our 2012 version is the player comparisons of what we had vs who we now have. Bison fans who would be your equivalent or better player on this years Bison team (defensively)? Not just saying who plays the same position now vs then but compared to who we had then which players are as good or better than the same position players from the 2012 team on defense? Here are the difference makers in my opinion on defense from the 2012 team.

2012 player Position
Marcus Williams CB
Andre Martin Jr. CB
Colton Heagle SS
Esley Thorton LB
Jordan Champion CB
Grant Olson LB
Christian Dudzik S
Carleton Littlejohn LB
Travis Beck LB
Kyle Emmanuel DE
LeeVon Perry DT
Brian Schatz DL

I didn't include every player defensively from that team but the ones I have highlighted I think are better than the current players at that position with the exception of Deluca. It's hard to find any fault with any of the players from that team as they were all champions but we were loaded on defense and yet I find it interesting that so many are saying this years defense is better. I don't think it is not that its bad but we had some real studs and I'm sure I'm leaving a few off but like I said these came to mind. Olson, Beck Heagle Emmanuel Schatz, Perry, Williams and Martin Jr. were some special players in my opinion. Again not selling our current defensive players short this is just my opinion.

Part of the problem is you are likely remembering how those players were as seniors. Not all of them were in 2012. Likewise, not all of this years defense are seniors so we can’t say for sure how they turn out. Just by scoring defense, sacks, into, etc, this defense stacks up with the best we have had over the years.

The only real difference I see is at the safety spot. Heagle was great at run defense and so-so against the pass. We are now the opposite at that position. We also could be missing an elite pass rusher, but that isn’t going to be deciding this game

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2017, 01:25 PM
Part of the problem is you are likely remembering how those players were as seniors. Not all of them were in 2012. Likewise, not all of this years defense are seniors so we can’t say for sure how they turn out. Just by scoring defense, sacks, into, etc, this defense stacks up with the best we have had over the years.

The only real difference I see is at the safety spot. Heagle was great at run defense and so-so against the pass. We are now the opposite at that position. We also could be missing an elite pass rusher, but that isn’t going to be deciding this game

Nope not at all (regarding just remembering their senior year). Those players with the exception of Martin Jr. because he was a transfer so can't compare his time at NDSU vs. UNi the rest were beasts and IMHO have had better careers vs the current crop of seniors as well as the underclassmen. I know it's not fair to compare to the underclassmen as they still have time to prove themselves but it was like I said in my post my opinion. I just don't see outside of Deluca players on the current team that were,are or will be better than those I highlighted. Fun to debate anyway.

Gil Dobie
December 3rd, 2017, 01:29 PM
Nope not at all (regarding just remembering their senior year). Those players with the exception of Martin Jr. because he was a transfer so can't compare his time at NDSU vs. UNi the rest were beasts and IMHO have had better careers vs the current crop of seniors as well as the underclassmen. I know it's not fair to compare to the underclassmen as they still have time to prove themselves but it was like I said in my post my opinion. I just don't see outside of Deluca players on the current team that were,are or will be better than those I highlighted. Fun to debate anyway.

If I had to pick one, Cox has a great chance to be better.

X-Factor
December 3rd, 2017, 01:36 PM

Heagle was great at run defense. Not so against the pass. Our current safety tandem is quite a bit better against pass, but struggles against run. I don’t know that you can claim either set is any better. Also, Cox could turn out to be better than all of the other linebackers. Did you forget he leads the team in tackles as a freshman, with AA players next to him to compete with? I would also take a healthy Nate at tackle. Granted, he hasn’t been healthy this year.

BisonFan Spouse
December 3rd, 2017, 01:38 PM
Maybe you didn't see the SDSU game this year. There will never be a perfect game!

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 01:39 PM
I think you're selling the talent on this year's defense a bit short. On the DL I think (a healthy) Tanguay is more disruptive than Perry, Drevlow, or Schaetz were in 2012. The rest of the D-line probably isn't as good but it is deeper. I honestly think the LB trio of Cox, Deluca, and Board this year are every bit as good as Beck, Olson, and Littlejohn were in 2012. 2012 had the edge in the secondary but this year's Bison secondary is nothing to scoff at. Dempsey may get an invite to the NFL combine and Grimsley looks like he'll be a 3 year All-MVFC performer. Allison is a nice corner as well although he may be out with a concussion. All in all I'd say the 2012 defense was better but it's close.

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2017, 01:46 PM
I think you're selling the talent on this year's defense a bit short. On the DL I think (a healthy) Tanguay is more disruptive than Perry, Drevlow, or Schaetz were in 2012. The rest of the D-line probably isn't as good but it is deeper. I honestly think the LB trio of Cox, Deluca, and Board this year are every bit as good as Beck, Olson, and Littlejohn were in 2012. 2012 had the edge in the secondary but this year's Bison secondary is nothing to scoff at. Dempsey may get an invite to the NFL combine and Grimsley looks like he'll be a 3 year All-MVFC performer. Allison is a nice corner as well although he may be out with a concussion. All in all I'd say the 2012 defense was better but it's close.

I'll give you Cox I forgot about him but that's still debatable as Cox doesn't have the body of work to go by yet. As it is he's looking like he's going to be a stud. Grimsley has had some bad games or moments in games that really make you go WTF so I'm not ready to give him a pass to the elite level or to go down as one of the best in comparison to the 2012 team. Again not to sell this years team short. Hell comparing to the championship run teams and individuals would make many good players look average to below average. Best part is these guys still have a chance to prove themselves and to be able to be mentioned in the same company as the 2012 guys.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 02:07 PM
I'll give you Cox I forgot about him but that's still debatable as Cox doesn't have the body of work to go by yet. As it is he's looking like he's going to be a stud. Grimsley has had some bad games or moments in games that really make you go WTF so I'm not ready to give him a pass to the elite level or to go down as one of the best in comparison to the 2012 team. Again not to sell this years team short. Hell comparing to the championship run teams and individuals would make many good players look average to below average. Best part is these guys still have a chance to prove themselves and to be able to be mentioned in the same company as the 2012 guys.
Yeah, I'm talking mainly from a talent perspective. That 2012 team was able to take that talent and translate it to the field in crunch time... whether the 2017 can do that is TBD.

I've maintained since the preseason that this year's NDSU team is as talented top to bottom as any NDSU team since 2013 and I still believe that.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2017, 02:12 PM
Could you Bison fans rank the teams of the last 6 years?

I ask because from an outside observer, they often seem indistinguishable in the sense that some of those teams looked flawed in the regular season and then didn't blink in the playoffs.

If the verdict is that "this team's defense is comparable to 2012" I'll take it in the sense that it's going to be an interesting game, because this Wofford offense is no doubt better and more diverse than 2012. Our defense is comparable and perhaps better on the DL and corners as I've already explained.

I think it's going to be a slobber knocker, and would be surprised if either team scored 30. Later this week I'll try to put up some "efficiency numbers" to compare Wofford to MVFC competition

gofurman
December 3rd, 2017, 02:19 PM
Heagle was great at run defense. Not so against the pass. Our current safety tandem is quite a bit better against pass, but struggles against run. I don’t know that you can claim either set is any better. Also, Cox could turn out to be better than all of the other linebackers. Did you forget he leads the team in tackles as a freshman, with AA players next to him to compete with? I would also take a healthy Nate at tackle. Granted, he hasn’t been healthy this year.

For this game v Wofford the pass D won’t matter too much. They will run run run until you stop em. You need a super run defense - which I suspect you are good enough at. But if your safeties are equal to prior safeties but better at pass D and worse at run D that’s a big concern v Wofford. Run D is all that matters

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 02:21 PM

I ask because from an outside observer, they often seem indistinguishable in the sense that some of those teams looked flawed in the regular season and then didn't blink in the playoffs.

If the verdict is that "this team's defense is comparable to 2012" I'll take it in the sense that it's going to be an interesting game, because this Wofford offense is no doubt better and more diverse than 2012. Our defense is comparable and perhaps better on the DL and corners as I've already explained.

I think it's going to be a slobber knocker, and would be surprised if either team scored 30. Later this week I'll try to put up some "efficiency numbers" to compare Wofford to MVFC competition
I would put the Bison teams like so.
2013 #1
2012-2014 Tie for #2
2011-2015-2016 Tie for #3
That being said, I hate to rate the teams. Seems kind of weird considering 5 of them won a championship. And the one that didn't, still made the semi game against JMU. Odd considering that the worst NDSU has finished in the last six years (semi round loss to JMU) is still better than 95% of the other teams have had for their best year.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 02:28 PM
I would put the Bison teams like so.
2013 #1
2012-2014 Tie for #2
2011-2015-2016 Tie for #3
That being said, I hate to rate the teams. Seems kind of weird considering 5 of them won a championship. And the one that didn't, still made the semi game against JMU. Odd considering that the worst NDSU has finished in the last six years (semi round loss to JMU) is still better than 95% of the other teams have had for their best year.
It's also tough to rate them since they varied in terms of how well they played over different parts of the season. For instance the 2015 team was much less impressive throughout their first half of the regular season than the 2012 team was but by November the 2015 team was playing at a higher level IMO than the 2012 team did. I think if I had to rate them in some meaningful way in regards to this game it would be how they played throughout December/January in the playoffs. Using that as the measuring stick I'd rank them like this:

1. 2013
2. 2015
3. 2011
4. 2012
5. 2014
6. 2016

BisonBacker
December 3rd, 2017, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'm talking mainly from a talent perspective. That 2012 team was able to take that talent and translate it to the field in crunch time... whether the 2017 can do that is TBD.

I've maintained since the preseason that this year's NDSU team is as talented top to bottom as any NDSU team since 2013 and I still believe that.

xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2017, 03:05 PM
So basically you guys are saying what I already figured and that it's really hard to tell how good an NDSU team is until the playoffs are over. so we're back where we started

Great lol

gofurman
December 3rd, 2017, 03:09 PM

Yeah. 2013. Number 1. . Note both replies above from NDSU fans agreed. Both rated 2013 as best though varying on others. Objectively as an FCS fan The one we faced as Furman fans was best. ☹️

YT you are data driven - we are alike 😀 - and you know I am unbiased. The others were awesome teams but beatable. No one was goin to beat that 2013 team. 2012 was a great team but I spoke w an NDSU Guy here in town and he agreed 2013 was best.

Not that that matters for this year. The question for Wofford is how good is this 2017 NDSU vs maybe the 2012 team you saw before. What are the strengths and weaknesses of this NDSU team etc. that’s the real question. Just like YT volunteered Wofford is great. Number one question on D is ability to stop short pass game

JayMYou
December 3rd, 2017, 03:36 PM
Yep, me too, I think we are going to get that game

A JMU vs NDSU final isn't very likely. JMU still needs to play New England and the Clemson/Alabama winner. NDSU meanwhile gets to play the Wooford and The Little Rascals/Soft Houston winner. Not sure the Bison make it through.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2017, 03:39 PM
A JMU vs NDSU final isn't very likely. JMU still needs to play New England and the Clemson/Alabama winner. NDSU meanwhile gets to play the Wooford and The Little Rascals/Soft Houston winner. Not sure the Bison make it through.You got BSC Weber freaking State in the next game, what are you bitching about.

Bison56
December 3rd, 2017, 03:55 PM
A JMU vs NDSU final isn't very likely. JMU still needs to play New England and the Clemson/Alabama winner. NDSU meanwhile gets to play the Wooford and The Little Rascals/Soft Houston winner. Not sure the Bison make it through.
You can't be serious? Lol Quit crying

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 04:10 PM
You got BSC Weber freaking State in the next game, what are you bitching about.

Prof chaos says Weber State is #4 in the country..... not that I agree though, maybe #4 in the CAA

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 04:25 PM
Prof chaos says Weber State is #4 in the country..... not that I agree though, maybe #4 in the CAA
I heard that guy was an elite FCS mind... ;)

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 04:30 PM
I heard that guy was an elite FCS mind... ;)

He's good which is why I used you in the post, your credibility checks POD's line of ****

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 04:34 PM
So basically you guys are saying what I already figured and that it's really hard to tell how good an NDSU team is until the playoffs are over. so we're back where we started

Great lol
That is the easy way to answer the question in such a way that you can't be wrong.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 04:37 PM

Great lol
I'd say that's the case for pretty much every team left. NDSU is by far the best FCS team Wofford has played this year. In my estimation NDSU hasn't beaten a team yet this year as good as Wofford. You're not going to have any breakthroughs this week researching these teams that'll give you the clairvoyance to predict the outcome without a pretty high degree of uncertainty because of the fact that a win in this game would be the sternest test passed by either team to this point on the year.

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 04:39 PM

Great lol
Actually the best way to look at it is that pretty much any NDSU fan will say the 2013 team is the king. The 2016 team, and only because they didn't win the championship is at the bottom of the list. Not a bad place to be though in the grand scheme of things (making the semi game). And every other year is a toss up that is somewhere in between.

CommishBigSmooth
December 3rd, 2017, 04:57 PM
I'd say that's the case for pretty much every team left. NDSU is by far the best FCS team Wofford has played this year. In my estimation NDSU hasn't beaten a team yet this year as good as Wofford. You're not going to have any breakthroughs this week researching these teams that'll give you the clairvoyance to predict the outcome without a pretty high degree of uncertainty because of the fact that a win in this game would be the sternest test passed by either team to this point on the year.

Really? I don't think I can agree with that, given the strength of the Valley.

Elvis was a Bison
December 3rd, 2017, 05:19 PM
While it seems difficult to rank the Bison D teams for the last 6 years, one thing is clear to me, The 2017 Bison D has the deepest talent compared to any of our past Champions. With a 10 man Dline rotation, the need to overcome multiple injuries at LB, and the emergence of new talent in the D backfield, we have the good fortune of not being taken out of the game by fate. Players like Aaron Mercadel, Marquise Bridges, and Jaxson Brown have gotten good reps and are prepared to step in if the injury bug bites.

Professor Chaos
December 3rd, 2017, 05:29 PM
Really? I don't think I can agree with that, given the strength of the Valley.
I think Wofford has an argument over UNI and WIU. It may not be a great one but they have one.

The beauty is we'll find out one way or another next Saturday. If NDSU beats Wofford by 14 or more I'd say they proved you right.

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2017, 05:37 PM
He's good which is why I used you in the post, your credibility checks POD's line of ****So you are saying Weber State is a tougher draw than Wofford?

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 05:40 PM
So you are saying Weber State is a tougher draw than Wofford?

senior moment, I see what you were saying now.... my bad

POD Knows
December 3rd, 2017, 05:42 PM
senior moment, I see what you were saying now.... my badYea, been there, done that.xconfusedx

CommishBigSmooth
December 3rd, 2017, 05:52 PM
I think Wofford has an argument over UNI and WIU. It may not be a great one but they have one.

The beauty is we'll find out one way or another next Saturday. If NDSU beats Wofford by 14 or more I'd say they proved you right.

I think half the Valley beats Wofford myself. I guess I am not as much of a believer as some are. But you're right, we will find out. And I think NDSU wins by more than 14. If Wofford doesn't get up early, it could be a long day in this one.

Reign of Terrier
December 3rd, 2017, 05:57 PM
Nothing to see here, just plan your trip to Frisco, pay no attention to the short haired dogsxcoffeex

gofurman
December 3rd, 2017, 08:16 PM
Actually the best way to look at it is that pretty much any NDSU fan will say the 2013 team is the king. The 2016 team, and only because they didn't win the championship is at the bottom of the list. Not a bad place to be though in the grand scheme of things (making the semi game). And every other year is a toss up that is somewhere in between.

Y. 2013. About unbeatable. 2012 , 2014 2015 were awesome but had a few weaknesses from NDSU fans I know

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 3rd, 2017, 08:29 PM

Best Bison teams IMO:

This years team has the potential to be top 2 or 3 IMO if they run the table.

Hammerhead
December 3rd, 2017, 08:32 PM
There was a TV ad in Fargo today for a charter bus trip to Frisco. Bison win this game by at least 17 points.

cx500d
December 3rd, 2017, 08:58 PM
There was a TV ad in Fargo today for a charter bus trip to Frisco. Bison win this game by at least 17 points.

Talk about counting your chickens....

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2017, 09:02 PM
Talk about counting your chickens....

Gotta get those things ironed out early. Ive had my hotel reservations since last January.

Bison56
December 3rd, 2017, 09:23 PM
Nothing to see here, just plan your trip to Frisco, pay no attention to the short haired dogsxcoffeex

Smart people do plan it early, but that won't affect the game this weekend. Just an fyi.xcoffeex

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 09:34 PM
I think half the Valley beats Wofford myself. I guess I am not as much of a believer as some are. But you're right, we will find out. And I think NDSU wins by more than 14. If Wofford doesn't get up early, it could be a long day in this one.

That's ok. Keep thinking that.

CommishBigSmooth
December 3rd, 2017, 09:39 PM
That's ok. Keep thinking that.

Will do.
Didn't The Citadel basically have the Terriers beat up until the last 90 seconds?

caribbeanhen
December 3rd, 2017, 09:53 PM

the problem with this way of thinking is the Valley is not divided in half, it's divided by North Dakota State and everyone else

TennBison
December 3rd, 2017, 10:05 PM
the problem with this way of thinking is the Valley is not divided in half, it's divided by North Dakota State and everyone else
Don't say that, SDSU has been picking up the crumbs that fall off our cinnamon streusel coffee cakes as we eat them.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 10:20 PM
Will do.
Didn't The Citadel basically have the Terriers beat up until the last 90 seconds?

Yup. But you are comparing a conference grudge match rivalry, with history, to a playoff game? And playing a team that runs a similar offense who knows how to defend it since they run it every day in practice. Really? Got it. Yeah, we dropped off this year a bit, but we were no push over. Too funny for words.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 10:20 PM

Yup.

CommishBigSmooth
December 3rd, 2017, 10:37 PM
Yup. But you are comparing a conference grudge match rivalry, with history, to a playoff game? And playing a team that runs a similar offense who knows how to defend it since they run it every day in practice. Really? Got it. Yeah, we dropped off this year a bit, but we were no push over. Too funny for words.

Let's dial down the sensitivity meter a bit there, amigo. Jesus. I'm not disparaging the quality of The Citadel's program recently or historically. Discussion for another day and another thread sometime.
I asked since you were the team that held them in check the most in terms of their running game this year. If you run essentially the same offense, it makes complete sense.

ElCid
December 3rd, 2017, 11:01 PM
Let's dial down the sensitivity meter a bit there, amigo. Jesus. I'm not disparaging the quality of The Citadel's program recently or historically. Discussion for another day and another thread sometime.
I asked since you were the team that held them in check the most in terms of their running game this year. If you run essentially the same offense, it makes complete sense.

OK, took it wrong. Yeah, we know how to defend them. Held them to their lowest rushing yards of the year...under 90, but they can pass as well when needed. And they did. The most yards they got all year through the air I think. Not one of our best defensive moment of the year in not being able to stop them late. Take away their dive. Play assignment on the pitch. Easy to say, hard to do. It is trying to defend against a thousand cuts. It can be done, but take discipline. I would expect that from NDSU, but it is not something you can perfect in one week of practice.

For their D, we could drive on them, but we couldn't finish drives. That was our story all year, lots of yards, no scores. But you obviously have a much better passing QB. Wofford will stiffen up as you approach the red zone, end zone. It's what they do. They have a pretty good defensive TD red zone percentage at 23/38, 60%. That didn't include last week's game. They went 1/3 on defense for TDs in red zone against Furman this week.

FUBeAR
December 3rd, 2017, 11:45 PM
Unfortunately, I think this game, for different external reasons (weather vs. dome), very well may be a repeat of last year’s Woffy @ YSU quarterfinal game.

At home or on a warm, sunny, dry day, Wofford 2016 would have beaten YSU 2016 9 of 10 times.

At home or on a neutral field, as opposed to playing inside the housing of a 747 jet engine (when on Offense), Wofford takes down the powerful bizuns.

As Mel Brooks said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StJS51d1Fzg
& it’s good to be in the MVFC

Hope I’m wrong. - “FUTerrier” (for awhile)

centennial
December 3rd, 2017, 11:55 PM

IMO
2014/ 2012

This years team is more inconsistent. It Easton is playing well, this team could be close to the 2013 team. If he is playing badly, I would put this team roughly close to the 2016 team.

BisonTru
December 4th, 2017, 03:44 AM
IMO
2014/ 2012

This years team is more inconsistent. It Easton is playing well, this team could be close to the 2013 team. If he is playing badly, I would put this team roughly close to the 2016 team.

I'd go.....

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Okay, so I think it's hard to gauge how this one will go for obvious reasons already alluded to in this game.

I think it's a solid conclusion to say that NDSU should be favored, and I would give Wofford a 40% chance of winning (which isn't terrible, it's only a little worse than a coin flip).

Though I respect NDSU's defense, I think them not playing an option team in like 5 years could possibly be a big deal. Having said that, them being a really good defense leaves the potential of them having a great day shutting us down. That could mean Wofford scoring only like 10 points or having an above average day of like 30. Turnovers and the mental side of things will be key.

Defensively, I'm a little more confident. I don't think NDSU will score more than 30 or 31 on us. That's not a knock on NDSU, I just think the style of play of both teams will burn clock in a way that exhausts that possibility. People predicting a 3 touchdown win by NDSU have got to realize that Wofford has only lost by that margin to an FCS opponent like twice in the last decade, and those were seasons Wofford wasn't good and our opponents had more familiarity with our offense. IF NDSU wins by that margin, it's because of turnovers.

To be honest though, I think it's just as likely that Wofford wins comfortably as it is that NDSU wins comfortably (comfortably being by 10-17 points). Even then, I'd say a closer game is just as likely as both of those possibilities.

It's just impossible to tell how NDSU will play Wofford's offense at this point. We've piledriven statistically #1 run defenses in the past (I think it's worth noting that NDSU has played very few top 25 run offenses while Wofford has played 5 + South Carolina). It's also impossible to predict how Wofford will play NDSU's offense. I think many teams/fans underestimate how pacing effects playcalling. For instance, ETSU was a bad defensive game for Wofford, but it was better than many teams' terrible performances. In a weird way, had we let ETSU run a little bit better on us, they wouldn't have been inclined to pass it on our soft zone as much. Many teams like to run the ball as a matter of pride. NDSU is going to be one of those teams. I won't say Wofford will shut down NDSU's run game (that would be hubris), but we will be better than most of the teams they've played on that front. I think NDSU having more moderate success in the run game than the baseline expectation in a weird way may help Wofford, because I trust Wofford to stop NDSU on third and 2 or 3 if it's a run more than if it's 3rd and 5-7 and it's a pass.

So, beyond the obvious coach-speak that turnovers could determine this one (worth noting that Wofford has lost the turnover battle many times this year and still found a way to win), I think third down conversions and third down distance will be a good indicator of the outcome

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Only way Wofford wins is by playing a near perfect game combined with the Bison QB having another bad day, now this can happen but

The Bison QB can make big plays with his feet on broken plays, the Bison should pass the ball early and often on Wofford

the Dome noise potentially causing problems with false starts also a concern

and don't be surprised when the refs call back an early Wofford long TD run, all these forces of evil will
not be easy for Wofford to overcome

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Okay, so I think it's hard to gauge how this one will go for obvious reasons already alluded to in this game.

I think it's a solid conclusion to say that NDSU should be favored, and I would give Wofford a 40% chance of winning (which isn't terrible, it's only a little worse than a coin flip).

Though I respect NDSU's defense, I think them not playing an option team in like 5 years could possibly be a big deal. Having said that, them being a really good defense leaves the potential of them having a great day shutting us down. That could mean Wofford scoring only like 10 points or having an above average day of like 30. Turnovers and the mental side of things will be key.

Defensively, I'm a little more confident. I don't think NDSU will score more than 30 or 31 on us. That's not a knock on NDSU, I just think the style of play of both teams will burn clock in a way that exhausts that possibility. People predicting a 3 touchdown win by NDSU have got to realize that Wofford has only lost by that margin to an FCS opponent like twice in the last decade, and those were seasons Wofford wasn't good and our opponents had more familiarity with our offense. IF NDSU wins by that margin, it's because of turnovers.

To be honest though, I think it's just as likely that Wofford wins comfortably as it is that NDSU wins comfortably (comfortably being by 10-17 points). Even then, I'd say a closer game is just as likely as both of those possibilities.

It's just impossible to tell how NDSU will play Wofford's offense at this point. We've piledriven statistically #1 run defenses in the past (I think it's worth noting that NDSU has played very few top 25 run offenses while Wofford has played 5 + South Carolina). It's also impossible to predict how Wofford will play NDSU's offense. I think many teams/fans underestimate how pacing effects playcalling. For instance, ETSU was a bad defensive game for Wofford, but it was better than many teams' terrible performances. In a weird way, had we let ETSU run a little bit better on us, they wouldn't have been inclined to pass it on our soft zone as much. Many teams like to run the ball as a matter of pride. NDSU is going to be one of those teams. I won't say Wofford will shut down NDSU's run game (that would be hubris), but we will be better than most of the teams they've played on that front. I think NDSU having more moderate success in the run game than the baseline expectation in a weird way may help Wofford, because I trust Wofford to stop NDSU on third and 2 or 3 if it's a run more than if it's 3rd and 5-7 and it's a pass.

So, beyond the obvious coach-speak that turnovers could determine this one (worth noting that Wofford has lost the turnover battle many times this year and still found a way to win), I think third down conversions and third down distance will be a good indicator of the outcome

NDSU more than likely will be in base Tampa-2 like they always are with the SS moving down to support the run. NDSU's LBs ( DeLuca, Cox and Board) are big and fast. They will have to be assignment sharp to slow down the TO.

I'm assuming Wofford does some type of cut block with the OL so the Bison DL needs to be gap sound also. If the DL can consistently stuff the FB dive then NDSU will fair well in slowing Wofford down. The corners need to pay attention and not let WRs slip behind them for a long pass also. Too busy trying to stop the run and get burned with the pass.

Last time Wofford was here they went for it 4 times on 4th down and I assume they will do that again if it is really short yardage. Breitenstein had 24 carries for 136 and he was a load to bring down. If Wofford "spreads the wealth" more now then the Bison really need to be assignment sharp against this offense.

Wofford will try and stop the run, like all teams do. ES needs to be efficient and move the chains passing. If he has some "wtf moments" then this game will get dicey.

For the Bison, play good defense and be efficient on offense by mixing up run/pass and they will win the game. If Wofford gets up early and keeps grinding out long TO drives then it will be a high blood pressure game for Bison fans. Stuff that dive and let the speedy LBs and SS/FS clean up the pitch.

ElCid
December 4th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Only way Wofford wins is by playing a near perfect game combined with the Bison QB having another bad day, now this can happen but

The Bison QB can make big plays with his feet on broken plays, the Bison should pass the ball early and often on Wofford

and don't be surprised when the refs call back an early Wofford long TD run, all these forces of evil will

Have you put your Nostradamus hat on again? xbowx

I forget about the noise thing. Hopefully for them, Wofford has speakers on the practice field this week blaring or they all have ear plugs in this week. False starts are always an issue with the option. They had one untimely one against Furman on a 4th and 1. But they are pretty experienced so who knows.

I will add that most likely Wofford will get called for at least one or two bad blocks of some kind.

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 07:11 AM
My early prediction for the game is.
NDSU 20
Wofford 9

Like has been said by the Wofford fan above if NDSU wins by 3 scores I would be shocked.

The noise will affect (or effect I don't know I always get it wrong :D) Wofford. Teams always practice with the loud speakers but the noise will cause issues for the Terriers. Teams tend do do better on the 2nd trip to Fargo but none of the current players have any experience but the coaches do.

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 07:22 AM
My early prediction for the game is.
NDSU 20
Wofford 9

Like has been said by the Wofford fan above if NDSU wins by 3 scores I would be shocked.

The noise will affect (or effect I don't know I always get it wrong :D) Wofford. Teams always practice with the loud speakers but the noise will cause issues for the Terriers. Teams tend do do better on the 2nd trip to Fargo but none of the current players have any experience but the coaches do.

Dewey

Affect=the verb ("this noise will affect the visiting team")

effect=the noun ("the effect of the noise was bad")

Hope that helpsxthumbsupx

gofurman
December 4th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Y - from a Furman perspective a simple point ... we beat Elon with a -2 or -3 turnover ratio (our one interception was a pick with time expiring in the first half of a bomb they threw.. incomplete or batted pass is just as effective). And I left saying 'we will never win at Wofford with -3 turnover ratio' And we lost to Woff despite a +1 turnover ratio.
Wofford ran their best game of the year this past week (not an anti-Woff or pro-Furman comment, i think that is objective - if they had played like that all year they wouldn't have had many close games and probably beat Samford too) and whooped us on the LOS. Furman is still 2/3 years out on recruiting etc. Got the coaches, not the depth of talent yet.

Point is from a Wofford perspective I would go into this knowing they can't win if they have as many penalties as they did v Furman. NINE penalties for 57 yards? That is not Wofford football.. and against a team w better LOS play that could kill them. And to their credit that is not typical. But they have to cut that down. Maybe some of that was due to an off week?

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Affect=the verb ("this noise will affect the visiting team")

effect=the noun ("the effect of the noise was bad")

Hope that helpsxthumbsupxThanks. I am great with numbers but grammar...meh.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 07:31 AM
NDSU more than likely will be in base Tampa-2 like they always are with the SS moving down to support the run. NDSU's LBs ( DeLuca, Cox and Board) are big and fast. They will have to be assignment sharp to slow down the TO.

I'm assuming Wofford does some type of cut block with the OL so the Bison DL needs to be gap sound also. If the DL can consistently stuff the FB dive then NDSU will fair well in slowing Wofford down. The corners need to pay attention and not let WRs slip behind them for a long pass also. Too busy trying to stop the run and get burned with the pass.

Last time Wofford was here they went for it 4 times on 4th down and I assume they will do that again if it is really short yardage. Breitenstein had 24 carries for 136 and he was a load to bring down. If Wofford "spreads the wealth" more now then the Bison really need to be assignment sharp against this offense.

Wofford will try and stop the run, like all teams do. ES needs to be efficient and move the chains passing. If he has some "wtf moments" then this game will get dicey.

For the Bison, play good defense and be efficient on offense by mixing up run/pass and they will win the game. If Wofford gets up early and keeps grinding out long TO drives then it will be a high blood pressure game for Bison fans. Stuff that dive and let the speedy LBs and SS/FS clean up the pitch.

Good insight. FWIW Wofford is more diverse on offense this year, which is why this is interesting. Paladinfan pointed out in another thread, unlike Furman who pounded the ball pretty consistently between tackles, it seems that Wofford (relative to Furman) pounds the fullback less, using it to set up the pitch guy.

I honestly haven't seen Stick play, but looking at his stat sheet, it looks like he is a solid, above average QB. I think he'll have a good day against us passing, unfortunately. We don't seem to pressure well on pass plays this year, for some reason and we make good QBs look great and average QBs look good thanks to the soft zone we have.

Having said that, our defense has forced mistakes in the past and I'm hoping we can force him to do one or two in this game. It could be the difference.

I forget about the noise thing. Hopefully for them, Wofford has speakers on the practice field this week blaring or they all have ear plugs in this week. False starts are always an issue with the option. They had one untimely one against Furman on a 4th and 1. But they are pretty experienced so who knows.

I will add that most likely Wofford will get called for at least one or two bad blocks of some kind.

I was at Wofford the first time we played NDSU. That week, they randomly practiced in Gibbs Stadium with the speakers turned all the way up in crowd noise. It was crazy, given that it was unexpected.

The game played in Fargo is gonna be tough, no questions asked. Luckily we have a senior-laden offense and I hope they can step up to the challenge. Eyeing the stat sheet we had 6 penalties for 41 yards last time we played, so that implies a few illegal procedure penalties.

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 07:38 AM
Pumped for this one. To be the best you have to beat the best and there's not a better program in the FCS than NDSU. Great measuring stick game for what we feel is a very special group at Wofford. Last years agony over losing a game in the quarterfinals in a game we had won several times, only to lose in 2OT's, can be washed away in this game. Wofford understands what we are dealing with and approaches each game the same. This one looks to be a special affair.

NDSU will be primed and ready as this is old hat for them. Another year another quarterfinals. And at home with that great crows, lots of things in the favor of the Bison. But from a fundamental standpoint, this is a game Wofford can win. We run the ball very well, we defend the run very well, and we eat up clock on offense. Not too dramatically different than what NDSU's blueprint will be. This particular Wofford group has a few superlatives that make them different than their predeccesor's with the Triple Option. 1. Wofford is very efficient and effective in the passing game. Goodson can really throw the ball, has great arm talent, and is calm and poised in the pocket 2. Wofford has 2 tailbacks that are gamebreakers on the outside that compliment the thudding FB of Wofford's past. 3. Wofford still has the thumping FB's with Stoddard and Nelson both being big, tough runners in the middle. 4. Wofford's D Line is flat out one of the best in the country. If teams are committed to the run, when at complete health, Wofford's D Line will pose problems for any team. With 3 (All american or all conference) types along the front (Miles Brown / Mikel Horton / Tyler Vaughn), that is the heart and soul of the Wofford Defense. And 2 tackling machines in the interior at LB with Datavius Wilson and Colton Clemmons. Wofford also possess 2 all conference selections at Corner and this weekend had a start from a 3rd Corner that played out of his mind. So outside of playing a lot of soft zone limiting big plays downfield, the Wofford defense is more than capable of making things very interesting on opponents offense. This last weekend Wofford held Furman to 57 yards rushing, a team that typically averages 230+.

All that to be said, Wofford knows who they are playing and where they are playing. IT will take our best efforts. Look forward to the challenge. Good luck and injury free football to the Bison....

Laker
December 4th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Thanks. I am great with numbers but grammar...meh.

Dewey

When I think about Grammer:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6400000/Kelsey-kelsey-grammer-6488616-317-500.jpg

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Woffords run game plays right into the NDSU hand. You don't play power football with NDSU, much like you dont with Alabama. Mobile quarterback and a balanced attack is the only way. If Wofford runs the ball 45 times they lose. I'll take NDSU in a 27-15.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 07:57 AM

many Bison fans try to downplay the noise thing, but it does both affect/effect games, not sure if Vegas has a figured out how many points playing in the Fargo Dome is worth.... 4 to 6 maybe, it makes that JMU game last year look all the more impressive

as for the speakers creating noise......hmmm, that must be one heck of a sound system....Bose speakers? haha, tough to replicate 18, 300 screaming drunk Bison fans

might as well go down to the local tarmac and bring in a few jets for practice.... not sure how close the nearest airport is to Spartanburg though, maybe you can help with El Cid

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 08:07 AM
FWIW...Wofford truly embraces the Underdog theme. And this game encapsulates that like no other. This is the story that Wofford is looking for. The narrative of what can and can't be done to the Mighty powerhouse is exactly what the doctor ordered for Wofford. This group wants to put a stamp on a special season and run....this is going to be fun. I expect nothing less than a war. Additionally, I think this will give the national audience a chance to see how really good Wofford is.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 08:07 AM
many Bison fans try to downplay the noise thing, but it does both affect/effect games, not sure if Vegas has a figured out how many points playing in the Fargo Dome is worth.... 4 to 6 maybe, it makes that JMU game last year look all the more impressive

as for the speakers creating noise......hmmm, that must be one heck of a sound system....Bose speakers? haha, tough to replicate 18, 300 screaming drunk Bison fans

might as well go down to the local tarmac and bring in a few jets for practice.... not sure how close the nearest airport is to Spartanburg though, maybe you can help with El Cid

Yeah, no way am I claiming it was a comparable noise factor.

I will say I heard it across campus, which isn't saying much. There's a difference between playing in a loud open-air stadium and a dome such as NDSU's.

ElCid
December 4th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Woffords run game plays right into the NDSU hand. You don't play power football with NDSU, much like you dont with Alabama. Mobile quarterback and a balanced attack is the only way. If Wofford runs the ball 45 times they lose. I'll take NDSU in a 27-15.

45 times? If they only run 45 they probably will lose. They average 52 rushes a game. If they run it more than 60 times, they win. That is what I love about the option. The more you run it in a game, the better chance you have a break some free. The longer the opposing D is on the field, the more tired the opposing D, the more chance of a mistake in missing an assignment. And the longer you have the ball and the opposing O does not.

But I still have to go with the home team by at least 10. Turnovers and special teams may be the key here to a Wofford victory. If NDSU loses a couple possessions to turnovers and Wofford can capitalize, then it gets interesting. Both teams are positive in turnovers with NDSU having about a +0.5 advantage on average per game.

ElCid
December 4th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Greenville has an airport, but like I said, turn up the music and put some ear pugs in for a few scrimmages. Basically playing near deaf.

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 08:13 AM
NO thats my point. The fact that that they will need to over power the Bison to win is why i pick the the Bison. JMU and Shor were able to be very balanced as well as SDSU this year. I would be surprised if this is within 20 points. I would love to be wrong and get a home Semi game....

45 times? If they only run 45 they probably will lose. They average 52 rushes a game. If they run it more than 60 times, they win. That is what I love about the option. The more you run it in a game, the better chance you have a break some free. The longer the opposing D is on the field, the more tired the opposing D, the more chance of a mistake in missing an assignment. And the longer you have the ball and the opposing O does not.

But I still have to go with the home team by at least 10. Turnovers and special teams may be the key here to a Wofford victory. If NDSU loses a couple possessions to turnovers and Wofford can capitalize, then it gets interesting. Both teams are positive in turnovers with NDSU having about a +0.5 advantage on average per game.

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 08:14 AM
Yeah, no way am I claiming it was a comparable noise factor.

I will say I heard it across campus, which isn't saying much. There's a difference between playing in a loud open-air stadium and a dome such as NDSU's.

maybe ear plugs or they practice with music via whatever Walkman's have evolved to today, they have to simulate playing deaf ... I think I remember seeing something about a football team for deaf people, maybe they can help

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Some of y'all forget how close Wofford played this one last time...

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 08:16 AM
Greenville has an airport, but like I said, turn up the music and put some ear pugs in for a few scrimmages. Basically playing near deaf.

wow, didn't see that you beat me to this as I just posted something similar without reading the thread....

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Wofford didn't have a offensive touchdown in that game. 14-7 with a pick six.

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I have yet to see a team in the FCS capable of blowing out Wofford. Just saying....I guess it is possible. But people picking a 3 score game haven't watched Wofford at all. While sitting 4 of its defensive starters the score against South Carolina and 85k fans, was 14-10 going into the end of the 3rd quarter and into the 4th, While pulling our starting QB.........I don't think people know much of Wofford. But it is ok,,,,they will.

Wofford isnt't labled "BYE" this week contrary to popular belief......I promise. We plan on coming out to Fargo to battle, and find a way to get a win. No trash talk, just confidence in our group.

NDB
December 4th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Maybe some, but certainly not me.

That was a great game.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2017, 08:44 AM
I have yet to see a team in the FCS capable of blowing out Wofford. Just saying....I guess it is possible. But people picking a 3 score game haven't watched Wofford at all. While sitting 4 of its defensive starters the score against South Carolina and 85k fans, was 14-10 going into the end of the 3rd quarter and into the 4th, While pulling our starting QB.........I don't think people know much of Wofford. But it is ok,,,,they will.

Wofford isnt't labled "BYE" this week contrary to popular belief......I promise. We plan on coming out to Fargo to battle, and find a way to get a win. No trash talk, just confidence in our group.
Ah yes.... #ButtCocks

Surprised it took this long.

Bison56
December 4th, 2017, 08:51 AM

Same **** different year. xcoffeex

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Same **** different year. xcoffeex

Indeed it is for you guys.....not for us...Shrugs

AmsterBison
December 4th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Getting ready for the option is going to be a real test for the defense. Couldn't believe how easily Wofford was getting around the edge against Furman - and Furman has experience playing the option.

Looked like a really solid defense too.

Bison56
December 4th, 2017, 09:14 AM

It was about the SC comment.

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 09:18 AM
It was about the SC comment.

over my head.......oh well........We are right where we planned on being....and feel good about our shot. We did what had to do in the South Carolina game to get out of there healthy. Resting our guys gave us our opportunity to then use an additional week with the BYE to get em all back on the field for Furman.....and then went out and played lights out on defense. It worked.

Bison56
December 4th, 2017, 09:27 AM
over my head.......oh well........We are right where we planned on being....and feel good about our shot. We did what had to do in the South Carolina game to get out of there healthy. Resting our guys gave us our opportunity to then use an additional week with the BYE to get em all back on the field for Furman.....and then went out and played lights out on defense. It worked.

Figured it would since you are fairly new, but I'm sure you will be filled in soon enough.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Wofford didn't have a offensive touchdown in that game. 14-7 with a pick six.

If memory serves, that margin of defeat was a lot closer than like, all of the SHSU games with NDSU. We also were in a position to score/make it closer at various times.

What they're referencing is that every year or every few years a team cites a good performance against an FBS school and cites it as a reason that they'll be beat (badly) NDSU. Most notably, Georgia Southern played Alabama really well one year but got smitten by the Bison. Hence #ButtBama.

I tend to not like this logic either, because the transitive property doesn't work with Football. Having said that there's a couple differences. Namely, I think Wofford's defense was, in aggregate, better or more suited to play NDSU than GSU's was (and still is). I think holding an SEC team to below 20 or so through 3 quarters is more impressive than being an option team and running up and down the field on them. The difference is this: the option is hard to defend no matter (because of the deception element), and the SEC doesn't see it; when you're on defense you have a taller order because it's more strength on strength.

Though South Carolina has their own offensive struggles this year (they want their OC to leave), Wofford's defensive performance was still pretty solid (we gave them a lot of short field to capitalize on). For the first half, they couldn't run right at us (which is crazy).

Does that translate to a Wofford win or even a solid strong performance? Certainly not. I personally think people get over-invested in FBS games as predictive.

Having said that, I think it's perfectly reasonable, given that data point among others to think that Wofford will compete in the trenches.

#nuance

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 09:37 AM
NDSU has had a target on it's back for 7+ years. Nothing new going on here. We're expecting Wofford to come in and punch us on the mouth. We'll need to make sure that we punch right back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You can't be a "one dimensional" offense to beat NDSU. I'm not saying your option is one dimensional, because I realize it's complex, but if you are only running the ball and not being balanced with passing it will be a long day for you.

The blueprint to beat NDSU is simple: Have a mobile QB who can sling it around while also being able to scramble for yards when the passing is closed, and a decent running game.

One thing I keep people saying is "NDSU won't have enough time to prep for an option team in a week." I've heard some good chit chat that Coach Klieman has his hands in the defensive gameplan this week, and he is a Defensive Savant - I'm excited to see how well we shut down the TO, because I have a hunch we can. We've done well shutting down option attacks in the past, and we are assignment sound, and tackle well in open spaces. I'm excited to see Nick Deluca - he's going to have a big game.

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 09:37 AM
"Having said that, I think it's perfectly reasonable, given that data point among others to think that Wofford will compete in the trenches.

#nuance"

......exactly my point.......

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 09:39 AM
You are spot on. One dimensional run teams usually do terrible against NDSU, no change this year. NDSU by 20 at least...

NDSU has had a target on it's back for 7+ years. Nothing new going on here. We're expecting Wofford to come in and punch us on the mouth. We'll need to make sure that we punch right back.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: You can't be a "one dimensional" offense to beat NDSU. I'm not saying your option is one dimensional, because I realize it's complex, but if you are only running the ball and not being balanced with passing it will be a long day for you.

The blueprint to beat NDSU is simple: Have a mobile QB who can sling it around while also being able to scramble for yards when the passing is closed, and a decent running game.

One thing I keep people saying is "NDSU won't have enough time to prep for an option team in a week." I've heard some good chit chat that Coach Klieman has his hands in the defensive gameplan this week, and he is a Defensive Savant - I'm excited to see how well we shut down the TO, because I have a hunch we can. We've done well shutting down option attacks in the past, and we are assignment sound, and tackle well in open spaces. I'm excited to see Nick Deluca - he's going to have a big game.

POD Knows
December 4th, 2017, 09:47 AM
You are spot on. One dimensional run teams usually do terrible against NDSU, no change this year. NDSU by 20 at least...Teams that throw the ball and don't have a mobile QB don't generally do very well either. xnodx

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 09:49 AM
lol, true. Our first Nat game against you guys was extremely competitive and could have went either way if you remember. We were much more balanced then. But totally agree, the only recipe to beat the Bison is away from the dome and balanced mobile QB attack.

Teams that throw the ball and don't have a mobile QB don't generally do very well either. xnodx

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Good stuff......I can dig it.

That being said......we aren't what most folks keep labeling us as. And that in itself, is what has propelled Wofford to be far more dangerous this season. Wofford is very effective at throwing the ball. Goodson is as good of a passing QB that has ever been at Wofford. Combine that with the back up QB, Joe Newman, that is exactly what you described. Ultra quick and dynamic with the option. We are not a plodding offense that is just hammering FB dives all game long. We are very dyanamic on the perimeter. With multiple tailbacks that are very dangerous, that compliment our Fullbacks. This is a different version of Wofford than most have seen.

I look forward to the chess match of your defensive savant and the OC Wade Lang from Wofford. I have been critical at times of our OC when we go vanilla and regress to the old style of Wofford attack in certain situations, because we have shown the propensity to quick strike when needed. But it is almost counter to our overall team philosophy.

Good stuff

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Good stuff......I can dig it.

That being said......we aren't what most folks keep labeling us as. And that in itself, is what has propelled Wofford to be far more dangerous this season. Wofford is very effective at throwing the ball. Goodson is as good of a passing QB that has ever been at Wofford. Combine that with the back up QB, Joe Newman, that is exactly what you described. Ultra quick and dynamic with the option. We are not a plodding offense that is just hammering FB dives all game long. We are very dyanamic on the perimeter. With multiple tailbacks that are very dangerous, that compliment our Fullbacks. This is a different version of Wofford than most have seen.

I look forward to the chess match of your defensive savant and the OC Wade Lang from Wofford. I have been critical at times of our OC when we go vanilla and regress to the old style of Wofford attack in certain situations, because we have shown the propensity to quick strike when needed. But it is almost counter to our overall team philosophy.

Good stuff

I can't remember the last time a team was faster than us on the perimeter. It's been years. It's what our defense is built around: being fast to the ball, and being a sure tackler so that either you slow down the ball carrier for the cavalry to arrive or get a solo tackle. The LBs, the safeties, the CBs, all of them have to tackle well. The NDSU defense flows to the ball and studies film so well that most of the time we know what you are doing and we meet you @ the point of attack.

POD Knows
lol, true. Our first Nat game against you guys was extremely competitive and could have went either way if you remember. We were much more balanced then. But totally agree, the only recipe to beat the Bison is away from the dome and balanced mobile QB attack.
Yep, I was in Frisco during both games with SHSU, a good reference is the Montana and Richmond playoff games in recent memory, neither team had a mobile QB but both QB's could throw but it was a bloodbath.

Reign of Terrier
I won't go so far that NDSU won't stop us. I think the deception element of option football is an asset, but it's not nearly as strong as many of the option advocates say. It's also not nothing like the opponents usually say. It's only something you can say conclusively one way or another *after* the game.

Like, if wofford runs for over 200 yards and wins, it's because of the option and the fact that NDSU hasn't seen it. Conversely, if NDSU shuts us down, it's not necessarily because they figured out the option, it's because they have a good defense (if that makes sense). One of the annoying things about the option is that when it fails it's hard to figure out whether or not it was due to the defensive gameplan or just poor execution (like any other game). The result is that teams who play it well overestimate how well they'll play it again (see: any Socon team or NDSU in 2011 against GSU...I know GSU lost but they did better than Wofford) and teams who didn't play it well may underestimate their potential to do so.

So this is why I don't really commit to overthinking how well opponent x played option team y in year z. They just gotta play football

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 09:56 AM
I can't remember the last time a team was faster than us on the perimeter. It's been years. It's what our defense is built around: being fast to the ball, and being a sure tackler so that either you slow down the ball carrier for the cavalry to arrive or get a solo tackle. The LBs, the safeties, the CBs, all of them have to tackle well. The NDSU defense flows to the ball and studies film so well that most of the time we know what you are doing and we meet you @ the point of attack.

less than a year actually

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 09:58 AM
less than a year actually

JMU didn't beat us on the perimeter. Abdullah was going right up the gut and destroying us. Lol

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 09:59 AM

The key is to get to the QB before he can pitch it. You can be faster than our QB but not fast enough to stop that.

The issue isn't speed on the perimeter so much as it is speed + angles. I think at this level, fans on both sides overinvest in how fast each team is compared to each other. They're all fast, but some put themselves in a position to use that speed more optimally than others.

I wish I could explain it a little bit better, but it's hard without film/pictures. If you look at the highlights of our game this past week, one of our first third down conversions demonstrates this

BNATION
December 4th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Interior runs and mobile QB. Gotta have it...

JMU didn't beat us on the perimeter. Abdullah was going right up the gut and destroying us. Lol

F'N Hawks
December 4th, 2017, 10:00 AM
NDSU is 24.5 point favorites.

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 10:01 AM
The key is to get to the QB before he can pitch it. You can be faster than our QB but not fast enough to stop that.

The issue isn't speed on the perimeter so much as it is speed + angles. I think at this level, fans on both sides overinvest in how fast each team is compared to each other. They're all fast, but some put themselves in a position to use that speed more optimally than others.

I wish I could explain it a little bit better, but it's hard without film/pictures. If you look at the highlights of our game this past week, one of our first third down conversions demonstrates this

What it sounds like is both teams don't realize how just how well the other does their job.

I'm probably underestimating how well you run your offense, while on the same side of the coin you are underestimating how well our defense runs.

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 10:02 AM

BET THE MORTGAGE ON THE UNDER!

Terrier19
December 4th, 2017, 10:04 AM

FURMAN was 3.5 point favorites over us.......

Score was 28-10 Wofford......

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 10:05 AM

is that what it was, he looked faster no matter where he was running

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 10:07 AM
is that what it was, he looked faster no matter where he was running

Yes - he was a beast and we couldn't take him down. Period. Dude was a stud.

Bison56
December 4th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Seems a bit high to me.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Seems a bit high to me.
I thought the line against San Diego was high last week too but the Bison covered. Maybe that means they're due to not cover this week. I certainly wouldn't put any money on NDSU in this game at -24.5.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 10:11 AM
What it sounds like is both teams don't realize how just how well the other does their job.

I'm probably underestimating how well you run your offense, while on the same side of the coin you are underestimating how well our defense runs.

Honestly, y'all's defense is good and has to be, I don't expect to score 30. I think 20 isn't an unreasonable expectation, but I have no idea how likely that would be.

the fact that neither team plays a team like each other throws any sort of ability to be certain about anything out the window.

I'm just playing the counterpoint xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

25 points is way to high.

I'd say 10 is reasonable.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Honestly, y'all's defense is good and has to be, I don't expect to score 30. I think 20 isn't an unreasonable expectation, but I have no idea how likely that would be.

the fact that neither team plays a team like each other throws any sort of ability to be certain about anything out the window.

I'm just playing the counterpoint xthumbsupx

- - - Updated - - -

25 points is way to high.

I'd say 10 is reasonable.
10 would be a logical line but I think you would see a ton of money come in on NDSU if it was -10 and that's not what the sports books want, they want it split evenly. I would expect that line to go down today and probably settle inside of 20.

EDIT: Already at -21.5 on 5dimes.

UpstateBison
December 4th, 2017, 10:14 AM
FURMAN was 3.5 point favorites over us.......

Score was 28-10 Wofford......

Last week is irrelevant to this week. I like Wofford's program as they do it right. I will bet the house on Wofford +24.5!! I doubt very few Bison fans think we will cover that spread.

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 11:14 AM
Let me grab some Tweets quickly.

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/937365320410415104

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/933379209619128320

caribbeanhen
December 4th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Yes - he was a beast and we couldn't take him down. Period. Dude was a stud.

JMU has not been the same without him, sounds like a weird statement as they are undefeated but they might miss him before this is over

IBleedYellow
December 4th, 2017, 11:20 AM
JMU has not been the same without him, sounds like a weird statement as they are undefeated but they might miss him before this is over

I've got a hunch they don't finish the season undefeated.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2017, 11:24 AM
I thought the line against San Diego was high last week too but the Bison covered. Maybe that means they're due to not cover this week. I certainly wouldn't put any money on NDSU in this game at -24.5.

....SMART LAD...CHAOS........WOOFY...WON'T CHUCK DUH ROCK....TA FINAL 3 MINUTES...UH 4TH Q....DEY'RE BAH....DRAININ'......CLOCK....FO' MOST UH GAME/LIMITIN'.....BISONSSSSSSS.....SCORIN' TIME....SO GET UH COUPLE TD'S...DUH QUICK STRIKE METHOD..........DEN SETTLE BACK....AN' WAIT FO'....KEELER'S AIR FORCE.....xcoffeex.....BRAWK!

centennial
December 4th, 2017, 11:28 AM
As alluded by some Wofford fans, they aren't truly a full option team.

I have seen some game footage. They throw out of the shotgun a little and have 1294 yards from the QB's. That's about 107 yards a game. That's double from 2012.

They run 254 yards a game.

NDSU has 268 rushing and 179 passing yards a game. Overall NDSU has one of the most dangerous offenses at the FCS level. And similar to Wofford NDSU has a running style that very few teams in the FCS run.

Homer prediction- 30-10
Easton playing poorly prediction -24-17

Bisonator
December 4th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Except for there being 2 other valley teams in 2 of the last 3 championship games.......:D

Bisonator
December 4th, 2017, 12:06 PM
So after reading this thread I've come to a conclusion: Wofford fans have a napoleon complex. (not that there's anything wrong with thatxlolx)

24.5 is way to big a spread, I'd expect that to fall to about 10 by game time.

My prediction would be 24-14.

ElCid
December 4th, 2017, 12:47 PM
So after reading this thread I've come to a conclusion: Wofford fans have a napoleon complex. (not that there's anything wrong with thatxlolx)

No freaking way dude. You are way off. I got 27-17. Mine is much closer.xlolxxbowx Actually yours might be better. I may have too many points. I expect it to be low scoring.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 12:48 PM

I'll have you know I'm 2 inches taller than Napoleon.

Also, if it's low scoring, I think that favors Wofford.

Hammerhead
December 4th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Especially when NDSU has a higher Sagarin rating than South Carolina. :)

.. Though South Carolina has their own offensive struggles this year (they want their OC to leave), Wofford's defensive performance was still pretty solid (we gave them a lot of short field to capitalize on). For the first half, they couldn't run right at us (which is crazy).

Does that translate to a Wofford win or even a solid strong performance? Certainly not. I personally think people get over-invested in FBS games as predictive.

Having said that, I think it's perfectly reasonable, given that data point among others to think that Wofford will compete in the trenches.

#nuance

Bisonator
December 4th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Does that include the chip?:)

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Does that include the chip?:)

especially the chip.

Professor
December 4th, 2017, 01:04 PM

That's insane. Might have to throw some money on this

ElCid
December 4th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Especially when NDSU has a higher Sagarin rating than South Carolina. :)

Yeah but there simply is not sufficient connection between FCS and FBS teams for those to be very accurate. When you play teams in the same conf, they are pretty accurate since those team play a lot together and are very interconnected. Next, teams within FCS are connected pretty good due to the OOC games, but some conferences are a bit isolated. Especially confs who play 9 conf games. Then the FBS/FCS connection. There are only so many FBS games a year. Less than FCS OOC so they are not very accurate as a comparison.

Applies to Sagarin as well as Massey.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 4th, 2017, 01:13 PM
NDSU favored by 21.5.

https://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx

Terry2889
December 4th, 2017, 05:36 PM

According to many modern analysts Napoleon is believed to have been roughly 5'6" which was exactly the height of the average Frenchman (Although he was Corsican/ Italian). So I guess a Napoleon complex is associated with an individual or entity that is average but desires to be enormous? I don't know....

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 05:44 PM
According to many modern analysts Napoleon is believed to have been roughly 5'6" which was exactly the height of the average Frenchman (Although he was Corsican/ Italian). So I guess a Napoleon complex is associated with an individual or entity that is average but desires to be enormous? I don't know....

I thought he was 5 '7

So I'm 3 inches taller, ha!

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Also, I'd like to see this poll without Wofford/NDSU fans. Not a knock on people supporting their team, and I'm certainly a majority of people think the Bison win this one, but I want to gauge public opinion based upon people with minimal stake in this one.

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Also, I'd like to see this poll without Wofford/NDSU fans. Not a knock on people supporting their team, and I'm certainly a majority of people think the Bison win this one, but I want to gauge public opinion based upon people with minimal stake in this one.

If you click on the number to the right of the poll it will tell the users that voted for each team. This won't tell you exactly who is a Wofford or NDSU fan but you could significantly narrow it down.

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I'm basically splitting hairs between 85% think this will happen compared to like 72% tbh

sudoCrushMS
December 4th, 2017, 06:04 PM

2012 player Position
Marcus Williams CB
Andre Martin Jr. CB
Colton Heagle SS
Esley Thorton LB
Jordan Champion CB
Grant Olson LB
Christian Dudzik S
Carleton Littlejohn LB
Travis Beck LB
Kyle Emmanuel DE
LeeVon Perry DT
Brian Schatz DL

Don't forget Carlton Littlejohn. Blocked FG against GSU remains one of my favorite plays. Ears were still ringing the day after that game...

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 06:05 PM
I'm basically splitting hairs between 85% think this will happen compared to like 72% tbh

Plus some people that just vote for the other team to try and get the other teams fans fired up.

Dewey

ASU33
December 4th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Give me The Bison

sudoCrushMS
December 4th, 2017, 06:09 PM
I'd go.....

I'd have 2010 up around 4 as well... (Brock was down damnit...)

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 06:14 PM

He wasn't the starter for a good chunk of that season...

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 06:17 PM

That 2010 team would be at the bottom of 8 teams that have made the quarterfinals. Very limited passing game and inexperienced across the board.

However that laid the groundwork for the next years team.

Dewey

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 06:18 PM
He wasn't the starter for a good chunk of that season...

Correct. He was out with a broken collarbone if IIRC.

Hey Wofford fans if you guys/gals come across articles from your local newpaper/sports stations or anything else interesting please post them up here. I love reading game stuff all week.

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about Wofford looking to become the next Southern Conference powerhouse.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4369101-wofford-making-bid-be-next-southern-conference-power

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 06:25 PM
We ain't there yet, but I'd love to be. We might be if we win Saturday.

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Here is a video from the Bison Media Zone previewing the game against Wofford.

https://www.bisonmediazone.com/bison-video-blog-wofford-preview/

Dewey

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 06:44 PM
We ain't there yet, but I'd love to be. We might be if we win Saturday.

I am guessing a Wofford win on Saturday would be big but Wofford needs to win a National Championship to be a similar power to what Georgia Southern and Appalachian State was.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2017, 06:47 PM
That 2010 team would be at the bottom of 8nteams that made the quarterfinals. Very limited passing game and inexperienced across the board.

However that laid the groundwork for the next years team.

Dewey
Agreed. 2010 was several levels below any team NDSU has fielded since. No team since then has given up 200+ rushing yards in a half to a single player like they let Taiwan Jones for EWU run wild for in the 2010 quarters (before he got hurt). I also remember a pass completion... any pass completion.... being a good play in 2010. I'm pretty sure the team completion percentage on the season was barely 50%. DJ McNorton was a flat out stud that year though... and little Mike Sigers was a blast to watch also when he got into the open field.

...not to mention the 0-3 debacle to end the regular season at hapless Missouri St.

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 06:50 PM
I don't remember, was there hate for NDSU backing into the playoffs in 2010 like there was for UNH this year?

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I thought he was 5 '7

So I'm 3 inches taller, ha!

Napoleon wasn't short...he was just an a$$hole.

You can be short and not an a$$hole too...I'd like to think I qualify. I know I qualify for the first, I'm only 5'5"...Redbird 4th and Short can attest to that.

Reign of Terrier
December 4th, 2017, 07:27 PM
I am guessing a Wofford win on Saturday would be big but Wofford needs to win a National Championship to be a similar power to what Georgia Southern and Appalachian State was.

Dewey

Well obviously. My point is, we're a good team, but i'm not prepared to call us great unless we win Saturday.

It takes a strong succession of great teams to have a good program

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2017, 07:32 PM
I don't remember, was there hate for NDSU backing into the playoffs in 2010 like there was for UNH this year?
There was definitely some bellyaching IIRC. Both for NDSU and Georgia Southern who made the playoffs at 7-4 that year. I do recall some people claiming NDSU "bought" their way into the playoffs with some massive bids.

It's kind of freaky drawing the parallels between 2017 UNH and 2010 NDSU. Both teams had a regular season win against a crappy FBS team. Both teams thought they had to win in week 12 to get into the playoffs and got shut out on the road against a bad conference opponent. Both teams got the NEC champ in the first round of the playoffs which they both won. Both teams upset the #4 seed in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

So I guess if you keep connecting the dots SDSU will beat UNH in overtime this week and UNH will go on to win the FCS title every year from 2018 to 2022.

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 07:34 PM
There was definitely some bellyaching IIRC. Both for NDSU and Georgia Southern who made the playoffs at 7-4 that year. I do recall some people claiming NDSU "bought" their way into the playoffs with some massive bids.

It's kind of freaky drawing the parallels between 2017 UNH and 2010 NDSU. Both teams had a regular season win against a crappy FBS team. Both teams thought they had to win in week 12 to get into the playoffs and got shut out on the road against a bad conference opponent. Both teams got the NEC champ in the first round of the playoffs which they both won. Both teams upset the #4 seed in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

So I guess if you keep connecting the dots SDSU will beat UNH in overtime this week and UNH will go on to win the FCS title every year from 2018 to 2022.

That all makes perfect sense.

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Well obviously. My point is, we're a good team, but i'm not prepared to call us great unless we win Saturday.

It takes a strong succession of great teams to have a good programAgreed.

Dewey

ksu_owls
December 4th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Agreed.

Dewey

Who do you guys anticipate meeting in the next round? (I need one more post to get to 10 so here it is.)

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Who do you guys anticipate meeting in the next round? (I need one more post to get to 10 so here it is.)
If we get by Wofford, I'm guessing Sammy...No real reason other then Kennesaw is a new thing to me and unknown. I watched your Monmouth, Samford and JSU games, and I'm still trying to figure it out.

ksu_owls
December 4th, 2017, 08:59 PM
If we get by Wofford, I'm guessing Sammy...No real reason other then Kennesaw is a new thing to me and unknown. I watched your Monmouth, Samford and JSU games, and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Yea, we are too! SHSU looks pretty tough. I can't imagine two different teams. If nothing else I'm hoping for some good football. Best of luck to you guys!

X-Factor
December 4th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Yea, we are too! SHSU looks pretty tough. I can't imagine two different teams. If nothing else I'm hoping for some good football. Best of luck to you guys!

I’ll say I was impressed by your win over JSU. Granted, I also think JSU was overrated this year, but you have a pretty good defense and an offense built for the playoffs. Of all the non seeded or lower seed teams I’d say you have the best shot at moving to the semis.

Weber JMU could be interesting too

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 4th, 2017, 09:30 PM

Kennesaw.

KSU is doing it the right way....run the ball and play good defense. Sammy hasn't heard of those 2 things...esp play good defense...xnodx

BisonFan02
December 4th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Kennesaw.

KSU is doing it the right way....run the ball and play good defense. Sammy hasn't heard of those 2 things...esp play good defense...xnodx

This....I dig What Kennesaw is doing. They are going to be fun to watch.

BisonTru
December 4th, 2017, 10:47 PM
Kennesaw.

This....I dig What Kennesaw is doing. They are going to be fun to watch.

Agreed. Kennesaw scares me more than any other team on our side.

BisonTru
December 4th, 2017, 10:55 PM

My quick count (excluding Bison and Terrier fans):

NDSU - 35
Wofford - 13

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 10:57 PM
Here is an article I saw on Bisonville about Wofford getting ready for a raucous environment at the Fargodome.

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/20171204/wofford-ready-for-raucous-fargodome

Dewey

ming01
December 4th, 2017, 11:54 PM
I watched some of the Wofford SC replay. The crowd didnt seem that into it

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 06:40 AM

I would guess Sam Houston State. That way NDSU could end their season for the 4th time in the last 8 years.

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 5th, 2017, 06:42 AM
Messner, Volson and Kuhnert better be ready to go with moving that interior. Wofford will probably bring a mass of humanity into the middle on obvious run downs to stop power up the middle.

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Messner, Volson and Kuhnert better be ready to go with moving that interior. Wofford will probably bring a mass of humanity into the middle on obvious run downs to stop power up the middle.

Agreed. That outside stretch play to Brooks has been deadly. I would like to see Stick on some more play action boot leg plays as well. Give Stick the option to pass or run.

Plus maybe we see the middle screen again. God thatvwas a staple in 2010 and 2011. McNorton on that screen was beautiful.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Agreed. That outside stretch play to Brooks has been deadly. I would like to see Stick on some more play action boot leg plays as well. Give Stick the option to pass or run.

Plus maybe we see the middle screen again. God thatvwas a staple in 2010 and 2011. McNorton on that screen was beautiful.

Dewey
It just seems like Brooks moves at a different speed than anyone else out there:

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/937364264964280321

Although from the parts of the Wofford/Furman game I watched McAfee (#6) from Wofford looks similarly dangerous.

Gil Dobie
December 5th, 2017, 07:16 AM
Could be a game like Chuck South last year. Game determined on the last play of the game, either in regulation or OT.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2017, 07:18 AM
that run almost looks like some type of trick video was used, Brooks does look good on that play

gofurman
December 5th, 2017, 07:35 AM

Dewey

Agree,.. and NOT anti-Wofford here .. Just a Wofford win in the FargoDome would be truly huge but it's still a playoff win - though that is about the best you could do short of a Title game appearance. But it's one of those things that is forgotten in 5 years. Good Example, I follow Duke basketball. Who won the National title in basketball last year? UNC. Who won the ACC? Duke. As a Duke fan, I have to admit The Duke ACC title will be forgotten ... Its a great achievement no doubt but those get lost in history. Better example. Duke has won 5 national Titles in basketball - many casual fans could tell you they know Duke has won several national titles in basketball. Anyone who knows mens basketball can tell you Duke has won national titles. They wouldn't know UNC won the ACC title in some of those years Duke won the national title - UNC absolutely routed Duke in some years in the ACC championship game and Duke went on to win the Natty. In ten years people only recall the Natty. Now players and parents etc and alum may know who won the conference and that is a GREAT accomplishment. You get a ring and will always cherish that. Wofford - regardless this weekend - can always be very proud of this year !!!

I would add Furman to your list of App and GSU - we have a national title (1988) and, more importantly, THREE National title appearances - 1985, 1988, 2001 . And semi-final in 2005 etc. etc. So also, of CURRENT SoCon teams (no GSU no App now) Furman has the most history by far. Only one other current SoCon team has ever appeared in the title game - Western Carolina.. and they beat Furman to get there so maybe we were in the Semifinals that year too? 1983 or so.

YT and most Wofford fans (19, DungeonJoe) are very good objective people - they would probably admit they need to get to a title game or two to start to have claims on Southern Conference Power at that level. Currently, they are playing the best ball - no doubt!. But there is one more level to hit to get that kind of tradition. Maybe this is their year. If they get through the FargoDome then it gets interesting...

Question - I think Wofford made the semifinals one year - right? Vs Delaware maybe???? Isn't that the farthest they have gotten' in the playoffs or am I mistaken? thanks for answer

gofurman
December 5th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Who is hurt or gimpy for NDSU? One thing Wofford has is good health. Kudos to them.. and that is SO big in FCS. We all know losing a great NG can change the game in FCS. I can only think of one player I didn't see Saturday at Woff (Pace maybe) - maybe I missed someone? The level of health Wofford has at the end of the year is astounding.. I mean that. NO SOUR GRAPES. Most teams are missing 4 guys by now.

Elon was missing 3. Furman was missing 5 - 3 starting LBs, Starting FB, and Starting Tackle.

I thought I read an NDSU guy had a concussion and that a DL may be out???

Q - Anyone out for Wofford this week? As we saw, several FU guys had to leave the field but I didn't see a Woff guy limp off?? maybe I missed someone?

Q - Who is out for NDSU or hurt?

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Who is hurt or gimpy for NDSU? One thing Wofford has is good health. Kudos to them.. and that is SO big in FCS. We all know losing a great NG can change the game in FCS. I can only think of one player I didn't see Saturday at Woff (Pace maybe) - maybe I missed someone? The level of health Wofford has at the end of the year is astounding.. I mean that. NO SOUR GRAPES. Most teams are missing 4 guys by now.

Elon was missing 3. Furman was missing 5 - 3 starting LBs, Starting FB, and Starting Tackle.

I thought I read an NDSU guy had a concussion and that a DL may be out???

Q - Anyone out for Wofford this week? As we saw, several FU guys had to leave the field but I didn't see a Woff guy limp off?? maybe I missed someone?

Q - Who is out for NDSU or hurt?
There's a laundry list of injuries for NDSU going back to the early season.

DE Menard (ACL - done for the year)
OT Radunz (ACL - done for the year)
RB Purifoy (ACL - done for the year)
LB Marlette (ACL - done for the year)
RB Dunn (torn hip labrum - may be back at some point in the playoffs but doesn't seem likely this week)
RB Cofield (multiple - likely done for the year)
LB Jordheim (MCL - may be back this week)
WR Shepherd (hamstring - played last week but sparingly so still not 100%)
QB Davis (collarbone - played last week but was taken out during a passing situation since the coaching staff didn't want him to take a hit)
CB Allison (concussion - status uncertain for Saturday)

And I probably missed a few.

On another note any Wofford/SOCON fans have the skinny of Wofford's 3rd down defense? I see they're 104th in the FCS allowing a 42.2% conversion rate. This could be a big factor in TOP as NDSU's offense is among the best in the nation at converting on 3rd down (as is Wofford's offense but NDSU's 3rd down defense is significantly better).

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Wofford has been *extremely healthy* this year (knock on wood). With the exception of Roo Daniel missing 6ish games at the beginning of the year and our two linebackers being held out for 3 weeks prior to the Furman (as a precautionary measure), we have been pretty good on the injury front. By good, I mean we've also had very few instances of players needing help off the field. It's certainly a blessing. No starters out for this one.

Another insight that may be valuable if you're using the 2012 game as a baseline. Here's a link to the cumulative stats, particularly rushing, from that year: http://athletics.wofford.edu/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2012%20&

And here's some stats from this year: http://woffordterriers.com/cumestats.aspx?path=football&year=2017&

Some insights:

It's an understatement how much EB carried us in 2012. Of the 4546 rush yards we had, EB had 2035, of 766 carries, he had 290. One player had 45% of our production on the ground and 37% of the carries. He had a bigger proportion of our offense when you factor in the fact that that we only had about 663 yards passing that year. Eric Breitenstein was quite literally 40% of our offense. A solid 1/3 of the plays we had entailed him touching the ball. That was unsustainable, but I digress.

Compare that with this year. We don't have as much yardage rushing. Going into this one, we have about 3048 yards on the ground, but we have twice the passing yards (1294). It worth noting that Wofford had a weirdly efficient time passing the ball going 6/7 for 64 yards in 2012 against NDSU. So we're passing the ball twice as well as we did back then. We averaged about 7 pass attempts per game in 2012 (wow), but now that number is 12.

When it comes to carries, Andre Stoddard has about 27% of the carries with 170, accounting for about 25% of the production with over 800 yards. The following 4 rushers differ from 11% of the carries to 15%. The second and third rushers have similar production. Our top 2nd and 3rd rushers account for about 44% of the production, while in 2012 it was about 19%.

If you're going to break this down into position, in 2012 the starting fullback accounted for 45% of our substantive production (Donovan Johnson was a hybrid player between FB/HB but for the purposes of this post I'm counting him as a HB). By substantive production I mean "not in garbage time," which I'm defining by eyeballing and using memory to determine whether a player actually saw PT. Running backs accounted for about 30% and QBs at about 15%. It would note, the number with HBs is probably inflated because Donovan Johnson played both HB and FB.

In 2017, fullbacks have accounted for about 38%. Halfbacks have accounted for about 44%. QBs, about 15%. If you take the lead rusher out #2-6 have about 2,127 yards rushing in 2017. In 2012, that number was 1535 (note: we've played one less game than that year; we also played a division 2 team and whalloped them 82-0 that year)

So comparing the above breakdown of the two teams you can make the simple conclusion that we have better distribution to halfbacks than we did in 2012. On top of that, we pass the ball better. I haven't looked at the stats of the 2011/2012 NDSU/GSU game yet, but I think one possible conclusion you can draw if Wofford wins is that NDSU has trouble with an effective option that doesn't turn the ball over (who doesn't?). If NDSU wins you could probably attribute to Wofford playing the last one so close by just having a great running back and leaning on him so hard that we didn't slow ourselves down with incomplete passes.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2017, 09:05 AM
On another note any Wofford/SOCON fans have the skinny of Wofford's 3rd down defense? I see they're 104th in the FCS allowing a 42.2% conversion rate. This could be a big factor in TOP as NDSU's offense is among the best in the nation at converting on 3rd down (as if Wofford's offense but NDSU's 3rd down defense is significantly better).

I attribute it to this: Wofford's really good with run defense and usually forces 3rd and mid to long. Teams, no matter the quality, can take advantage of our zone coverage (it's basically all we run) and find the soft spot to do a quick-hitting first down throw. This is amplified by the fact that we've basically shut down the run game for many teams this year (Samford, ETSU, among others) so all they could do was pass.

I would rather play a team that wants to run the ball like Furman, because I like our defense's chances to stop a 3rd and 3 run play than a 3rd and 8 pass play. In that regard, I think NDSU will be more like Furman in that they want to run, but better at passing. So this game has a wide spectrum of possibility in terms of what NDSU does. I could see anything happening from Stick taking over the game and torching our defense no sweat, to NDSU having moderate success in the run game and not converting 3rd and short to mid because of our stout run defense. In the former scenario, NDSU could rack up points and possibly win easy. In the latter, it could be close or a strong advantage to Wofford on the scoreboard, depending on how we hold onto the ball and are successful on offense.

Going back to 2011 (sample selected because I can't find anything farther back on a quick google search), third down defense is not our core competency (because of our philosophy) and though this year seems not-good, it's close to or within margin of error of other playoff years:
2016: 41.7%
2012: 40.2%
2011: 38.46%

Basically, I like our chances for getting a team off the field on third down if they are a run-first team than a pass-first team, and I like our chances on 3rd and 4 than 3rd and 8. Earlier this year, I can't remember where I posted it, I did an analysis on our third down defense. There were lots of teams we were better than that we forced 15+ 3rd downs, but the ones who could pass well converted at a higher rate. The ones who could run well had fewer third downs, but the conversion rates were more 50-50.

Our defense is heavily dependent on zone coverage and stopping the run and we live and die by that philosophy.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 09:11 AM
I attribute it to this: Wofford's really good with run defense and usually forces 3rd and mid to long. Teams, no matter the quality, can take advantage of our zone coverage (it's basically all we run) and find the soft spot to do a quick-hitting first down throw. This is amplified by the fact that we've basically shut down the run game for many teams this year (Samford, ETSU, among others) so all they could do was pass.

I would rather play a team that wants to run the ball like Furman, because I like our defense's chances to stop a 3rd and 3 run play than a 3rd and 8 pass play. In that regard, I think NDSU will be more like Furman in that they want to run, but better at passing. So this game has a wide spectrum of possibility in terms of what NDSU does. I could see anything happening from Stick taking over the game and torching our defense no sweat, to NDSU having moderate success in the run game and not converting 3rd and short to mid because of our stout run defense. In the former scenario, NDSU could rack up points and possibly win easy. In the latter, it could be close or a strong advantage to Wofford on the scoreboard, depending on how we hold onto the ball and are successful on offense.

Going back to 2011 (sample selected because I can't find anything farther back on a quick google search), third down defense is not our core competency (because of our philosophy) and though this year seems not-good, it's close to or within margin of error of other playoff years:
2016: 41.7%
2012: 40.2%
2011: 38.46%

Basically, I like our chances for getting a team off the field on third down if they are a run-first team than a pass-first team, and I like our chances on 3rd and 4 than 3rd and 8. Earlier this year, I can't remember where I posted it, I did an analysis on our third down defense. There were lots of teams we were better than that we forced 15+ 3rd downs, but the ones who could pass well converted at a higher rate. The ones who could run well had fewer third downs, but the conversion rates were more 50-50.

Our defense is heavily dependent on zone coverage and stopping the run and we live and die by that philosophy.
That makes sense. This will definitely be a low possession game but I do think Wofford is going to have to do better than their season average on 3rd down defense to win. Look no further than last year's quarterfinal between NDSU and SDSU where NDSU converted 10-13 3rd downs and consequently held the ball for 41 minutes never allowing SDSU's offense to get on track (final score was 36-10).

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2017, 09:23 AM
That makes sense. This will definitely be a low possession game but I do think Wofford is going to have to do better than their season average on 3rd down defense to win. Look no further than last year's quarterfinal between NDSU and SDSU where NDSU converted 10-13 3rd downs and consequently held the ball for 41 minutes never allowing SDSU's offense to get on track (final score was 36-10).

You don't have to tell me twice. But again, we look more promising against teams that run the ball better. Furman was one of, if not the most efficient teams in the country on third down this year (hovering around 50%). We held them to 4 of 14, which was a lot better than the 9 of 18 that ETSU converted (ETSU mentioned here because it's on the top of my head)

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 09:26 AM
You don't have to tell me twice. But again, we look more promising against teams that run the ball better. Furman was one of, if not the most efficient teams in the country on third down this year (hovering around 50%). We held them to 4 of 14, which was a lot better than the 9 of 18 that ETSU converted (ETSU mentioned here because it's on the top of my head)
Yeah, NDSU is similar to Furman in that they don't pass the ball at volume but when they do they're as efficient as anyone in the country (Furman is 3rd and NDSU is 6th in the country in pass efficiency). NDSU's QB Easton Stick has had bouts of inconsistency this year though and he's going to need to pass the ball to move the sticks consistently against Wofford I think so whoever wins that's 3rd down conversion battle is probably going to win the game.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Yeah, NDSU is similar to Furman in that they don't pass the ball at volume but when they do they're as efficient as anyone in the country (Furman is 3rd and NDSU is 6th in the country in pass efficiency). NDSU's QB Easton Stick has had bouts of inconsistency this year though and he's going to need to pass the ball to move the sticks consistently against Wofford I think so whoever wins that's 3rd down conversion battle is probably going to win the game.

Yeah, Wofford's philosophy is "don't let them beat you deep" on defense. Which is smart because even if we get dinked and dunked on with the short pass game, it's harder to move the ball on us in the redzone. I'd like to think of our defensive performance when it comes to stuff like scoring and third downs as more indicative of the systemic flaws than playing to competition. Put another way, we're just brutally consistent. No FCS team has converted more than 50% on third downs this year (South Carolina was 6 of 11) but I'm pretty sure we've only held one or two below 40%.

The more I think about this one, I'm cautiously optimistic. You can't come to Fargo and expect to win, but I think we'll be more competitive than people think.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Yeah, Wofford's philosophy is "don't let them beat you deep" on defense. Which is smart because even if we get dinked and dunked on with the short pass game, it's harder to move the ball on us in the redzone. I'd like to think of our defensive performance when it comes to stuff like scoring and third downs as more indicative of the systemic flaws than playing to competition. Put another way, we're just brutally consistent. No FCS team has converted more than 50% on third downs this year (South Carolina was 6 of 11) but I'm pretty sure we've only held one or two below 40%.

The more I think about this one, I'm cautiously optimistic. You can't come to Fargo and expect to win, but I think we'll be more competitive than people think.
Wofford and NDSU have very similar defensive philosophy. It's going to be a very good game. Trust me that NDSU is not taking Wofford lightly. We fully expect a 4 quarter battle again.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2017, 09:53 AM
I saw y'all's coach's comments and I don't doubt it. Lots of respect in this one.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2017, 09:56 AM
BTW how old is Coach Ayers and does Wofford have any sort of succession plan? He's a great coach.

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2017, 10:02 AM
He's almost 70. I would say with 85% certainty that Offensive Coordinator Wade Lang, who has been at Wofford just as long but is 13 years or so younger will take over in the next 5 years or so.

If we somehow win a national title I think that speeds up Ayers's retirement plan. I think that's all he wants now. He loves to coach and he loves the players (just look at him in locker room film), but I think the national title is what he's chasing. He believes in the players and thinks he can win it soon, so he keeps going. At least that's my opinion based upon nothing but watching the games and post-game interviews.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2017, 10:07 AM
He's almost 70. I would say with 85% certainty that Offensive Coordinator Wade Lang, who has been at Wofford just as long but is 13 years or so younger will take over in the next 5 years or so.

If we somehow win a national title I think that speeds up Ayers's retirement plan. I think that's all he wants now. He loves to coach and he loves the players (just look at him in locker room film), but I think the national title is what he's chasing. He believes in the players and thinks he can win it soon, so he keeps going. At least that's my opinion based upon nothing but watching the games and post-game interviews.
He's still getting the job done at a high level. You can see how much his players respect him too.

gofurman
December 5th, 2017, 10:12 AM

LOL - YT, I feel your pain man. I swear as a Furman fan 90% of the time I would prefer to face 3rd and 3 (the exception being Wofford last week bc you were the first FCS team that really ran on us consistently all year) ... I would prefer and see Citadel or ETSU try to run on us w 3rd and 3... than have a 3rd and 6 and know a pass is coming. You know our defensive guys have similar philosophies in allowing dink and dunk between the 20s. Part of it is the SoCon is a run-heavy league vs the CAA where our philosophies might get exploited more. You have to play to get into the playoffs/win your conference so I get it.. but it can be maddening

But v Citadel / ETSU / Mercer etc I was glad to face a 3rd and 3 any time. I didn't want Samford w a 3rd and 6. Notice they are the only team that beat you.. and the only team that beat us both. Coincidence? i think not.. LOL That's a killa' to both of us. One part of allowing the soft zone theory is you figure at least once down the field there will be a drop or a hold. you try to make the other team run 12+ plays to get down the field and usually there is at least one penalty or pass drop. I get that. The irony is that both Wofford and FU also run offenses that typically take 12 plays to score so if we think the other team will have a penalty (assuming a many-play drive) shouldn't we? I guess the additional part of the zone pass D is you figure one or so dropped passes per drive in addition to penalties

Outsider1
December 5th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Wow, MUCH RESPECT, to have a coach stay at an institution for that long is almost unheard of...

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Here is the Monday press conference with NDSU head coach Chris Klieman.

https://youtu.be/GGIRZiMxc4k

Here us the video from the media lunch with Wofford head Coach Mike Ayers.

https://youtu.be/0BTZCmShrs0

Dewey

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Here is the Insiders show from 4 December. The Insiders show features NDSU Jeff Culhane and Jeremy Jorgenson.

Jeff is the “Voice of the Bison” for North Dakota State University, program director of Bison 1660 and co-host of “The Insiders” for Radio FM Media. Jeremy Jorgenson joined the North Dakota State University athletic department as the director of sales and broadcasting on June 4, 2007.

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-december-4-2017?in=user-744211984/sets/the-insiders

Dewey

gofurman
December 5th, 2017, 02:08 PM

RB Dunn (torn hip labrum - may be back at some point in the playoffs but doesn't seem likely this week)
QB Davis (collarbone - played last week but was taken out during a passing situation since the coaching staff didn't want him to take a hit)

On another note any Wofford/SOCON fans have the skinny of Wofford's 3rd down defense? I see they're 104th in the FCS allowing a 42.2% conversion rate. This could be a big factor in TOP as NDSU's offense is among the best in the nation at converting on 3rd down (as is Wofford's offense but NDSU's 3rd down defense is significantly better).

So your killer D guy DeLuca is healthy ?

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Probably not 100% but as close as he's been since the season opener. He tore his meniscus in practice leading up to the Week 2 tilt against EWU and only missed 2 games IIRC. You can tell he hasn't been nearly the player he was in 2015 and in 2016 (before he hurt his shoulder) but he had his best game of the year last week against San Diego with 2 sacks and an INT. Having him and DT Nate Tanguay (who has gotten his surgically repaired knee drained multiple times this year and also isn't 100%) has been a big lift for this NDSU defense. Both those guys missed last year's playoffs.

Bisonator
December 5th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Probably still not 100% speed wise but he's getting there.

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 03:09 PM
This NDSU team with no injuries could've possibly close to the best defense ever in the FCS.

However that's not the case. Still name me one other team at this level that can maintain the success with 8-10 players injured (some of them AA and All Conference type players).

gofurman
December 5th, 2017, 03:46 PM

------------------

Is Davis your starting QB?? !?!

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Don't forget Carlton Littlejohn. Blocked FG against GSU remains one of my favorite plays. Ears were still ringing the day after that game...

It's absolutely amazing that run those teams had. We (NDSU Folks) are spoiled fans xnodx

BisonBacker
December 5th, 2017, 04:04 PM

------------------

No he's a backup. Easton Stick is the starter.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 04:18 PM

------------------

Yep, the reason why I think it is significant to point out is because the 3rd string QB was booted from the team last week so if Stick were to go down and Davis isn't healthy enough to handle hits then NDSU would either have to play James Hendricks, who was a QB converted to SS this past year (and has played really well at SS), or pull a redshirt on a QB.

It's still concerning because in the game last Saturday they actually pulled Davis after a couple plays because it was a 3rd and long passing situation and the coaches didn't want him to take a hit on a dropback. It's telling when the coaches put the starting QB back in a blowout game to take a potential hit instead of the backup QB.

gofurman
December 5th, 2017, 04:18 PM

Thanks. Interested in this game. You guys were good hosts in 2013. Were those RBs starters or is the guy now playing just as good?

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Thanks. Interested in this game. You guys were good hosts in 2013. Were those RBs starters or is the guy now playing just as good?
Dunn was the starter and was really tearing it up early in the year (albeit against a very soft early season schedule for NDSU). Cofield and Purifoy were the 4th/5th string RBs but it got so bad with RB injuries that they had to pull a redshirt on RB Seth Wilson 8 games into the season when Brooks was also dinged up in addition to those 3 guys being out. Wilson would've started the season 6th on the RB depth chart.

Bruce Anderson (#8) and Ty Brooks (#28) are the primary RBs with Wilson (#30) sprinkled in. Anderson is a more of a bruiser whereas Brooks is smaller but just a lightning bolt when he has a lane.

X-Factor
December 5th, 2017, 04:41 PM
Yep, the reason why I think it is significant to point out is because the 3rd string QB was booted from the team last week so if Stick were to go down and Davis isn't healthy enough to handle hits then NDSU would either have to play James Hendricks, who was a QB converted to SS this past year (and has played really well at SS), or pull a redshirt on a QB.

It's still concerning because in the game last Saturday they actually pulled Davis after a couple plays because it was a 3rd and long passing situation and the coaches didn't want him to take a hit on a dropback. It's telling when the coaches put the starting QB back in a blowout game to take a potential hit instead of the backup QB.

In that situation, just run the **** ball!!!

Reign of Terrier
December 5th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Yes, run the ball, please.

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the 2012 game in which NDSU linebacker Grant Olson had 29 tackles.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4369751-it-was-legendary-performance-grant-olson-last-time-wofford-came-town

Dewey

TennBison
December 5th, 2017, 06:49 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the 2012 game in which NDSU linebacker Grant Olson had 29 tackles.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4369751-it-was-legendary-performance-grant-olson-last-time-wofford-came-town

Dewey
Amazing to get that many tackles in one game. But at the same time it was not a good thing. And all during the week after that game he was in bad shape, banged up pretty bad. Some people were telling me that he was extremely black and blue for a week or more after that game.

BreakEvenPeach
December 5th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Amazing to get that many tackles in one game. But at the same time it was not a good thing. And all during the week after that game he was in bad shape, banged up pretty bad. Some people were telling me that he was extremely black and blue for a week or more after that game.
Was that the same year he nearly missed the championship but played through it and played really well for us?

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Here is an article from Fargo Forum writer Mike McFeely about the upcoming battle between Wofford and NDSU.

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2017/12/05/dont-sleep-on-the-terriers-as-bison-learned-in-12/

Dewey

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Yes, run the ball, please.

Be careful what you ask for. When 2 guards pull for power even teams like Iowa can struggle against NDSU. It's hard to simulate power run at full speed exactly like veer.

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Be careful what you ask for. When 2 guards pull for power even teams like Iowa can struggle against NDSU. It's hard to simulate power run at full speed exactly like veer.

To play off of the other thread with JMU's competitor Passing TDs versus INTs, NDSU has rushed for 40 TDs this season....they've allowed 9....Passed for 21 TDs....allowed 6....

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 09:25 PM

If teams keep the safeties back like Iowa did we will punish them at the LOS. Bring the safeties up and Stick can hit the TE and RB's like they did against USD. Plus the middle screen, outside stretch play with Brooks and I love the way this team is playing now.

Stick and Messignham are the keys to bringing another trophy home.

Dewey

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:28 PM
If teams keep the safeties back like Iowa did we will punish them at the LOS. Bring the safeties up and Stick can hit the TE and RB's luke they did against USD.

Stick and Messignha are the keys to bringing another trophy home.

Dewey

100% chance if I'm a competitor, I'm making Stick beat me. Biggest question mark by far....doesn't have the physical ability of a Wentz....but does he have ice in his veins like Jensen? He needs to manage the game and not try to be "#11".

dewey
December 5th, 2017, 09:31 PM
100% chance if I'm a competitor, I'm making Stick beat me. Biggest question mark by far....doesn't have the physical ability of a Wentz....but does he have ice in his veins like Jensen? He needs to manage the game and not try to be "#11".

Oh you are absolutely right. Teams would be stupid to keep safeties back and out of the box. You are right that Stick is more like Jensen. Stick is a better runner than Jensen though.

Dewey

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 09:32 PM

Wofford plays pretty soft zone and off man coverage. They don't play man much or well. If I were the OC-

I would keep taking the underneath vs them
Use some real WCO 4-8 yard passes (slant and stick routes)
Dink and dunk down the field and then start running power
Use the TE, and RB to throw to

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:34 PM
Wofford plays pretty soft zone and off man coverage. They don't play man much or well. If I were the OC-

I would keep taking the underneath vs them
Use some real WCO 4-8 yard passes (slant and stick routes)
Dink and dunk down the field and then start running power
Use the TE, and RB to throw to

NDSU's WRs can't beat press man.....I wouldn't respect them at all if I'm Wofford. Hat on hat....keep the rest in or near the box. The only disadvantage in press man against NDSU is when the Bison rush outside. They do block well on the perimeter, and press man makes that much easier versus opposing DBs stretching plays.

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Oh you are absolutely right. Teams would be stupid to keep safeties back and out of the box. You are right that Stick is more like Jensen. Stick is a better runner than Jensen though.

Dewey

Stick is a better athlete than Jensen.....the clutch gene is the x-factor. I remember before Wentz's senior year even asking, "last drive....ball at own 25 and need a TD....who do you want, Jensen or Wentz?".....and I mentally couldn't take a different QB than Jensen. xlolx

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 09:44 PM
NDSU's WRs can't beat press man.....I wouldn't respect them at all if I'm Wofford. Hat on hat....keep the rest in or near the box. The only disadvantage in press man against NDSU is when the Bison rush outside. They do block well on the perimeter, and press man makes that much easier versus opposing DBs stretching plays.

It can be schemed against by using play action and using the RB to throw to. If I were the Wofford DC I would play man too, only way to beat NDSU. JMU, SD, SDSU all have used it successfully vs NDSU. We could really use a few receivers that can create separation.

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:46 PM
It can be schemed against by using play action and using the RB to throw to. If I were the Wofford DC I would play man too, only way to beat NDSU. JMU, SD, SDSU all have used it successfully vs NDSU. We could really use a few receivers that can create separation.

Other than an occasional slot guy like Smith, can you name the last time the Bison had a WR capable of being a true downfield threat?

BreakEvenPeach
December 5th, 2017, 09:48 PM
Other than an occasional slot guy like Smith, can you name the last time the Bison had a WR capable of being a true downfield threat?

Warren Holloway? Or nah?

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Warren Holloway? Or nah?

Nah......id put him with guys like Vraa....good possession guys, but they are not running away from good cover CBs....

cx500d
December 5th, 2017, 09:50 PM

Stacy Robinson?

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 09:50 PM

Umm.. actually can't think of any without going and looking at old rosters. And even then NDSU receivers have steady hands but limited speed.

BreakEvenPeach
December 5th, 2017, 09:51 PM
Nah......id put him with guys like Vraa....good possession guys, but they are not running away from good cover CBs....

It sucks but you are right, bound to get one sooner or later i hope!

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Stacy Robinson?

Thats where I was headed.........and the Bison ran the veer. xlolx

BisonFan02
December 5th, 2017, 09:53 PM
It sucks but you are right, bound to get one sooner or later i hope!

It's a system and culture thing too.....never been a position of strength for the Bison....but we'll always have a pile of RB talent. xlolx

BreakEvenPeach
December 5th, 2017, 09:57 PM
It's a system and culture thing too.....never been a position of strength for the Bison....but we'll always have a pile of RB talent. xlolx

That, you can count on. It seems to work just fine