PDA

View Full Version : UNI Time for Farley...

Ronin
December 2nd, 2017, 04:10 PM
It's time for Farley to go. Each year he slips more and more.

Pro:

Defense - Gives up big plays time and time again. Farley insists in playing a zone pass defense and continues to get burned year after year.
Offense - Continues to struggle with the run after the absence of David Johnson. Biggest criticism is still trying for a running QB in the option play. Give it up! Hasn't worked for 7 years.
Offense - Fails to hire an offensive coordinator after driving away their long term coordinator. Farley thinks he can call the plays from the sideline.
Offense - Play calling is stagnant and very predictable. Where the fans are yelling out the play before the hike.
Nepotism with his youngest son playing... yes, his older son played for UNI as well. Questionable if he is the best choice. Has him playing defense and offense.
Nepotism - This time with his daughter taking the reins as UNI Director of football operations. WTF is this?

Con:

His leaving will cause a transition period, but one that is necessary for the program to grow.

cx500d
December 2nd, 2017, 04:12 PM
But his daughter needs the job....

PantherRob82
December 2nd, 2017, 04:12 PM
Meh. We were supposed to lose and they are 3/3 on 4th down conversions. I’ve been mad at him before, but not today.

clenz
December 2nd, 2017, 04:17 PM
But his daughter needs the job....

To be fair to this situation

UNIs DOPS guy got offered a position by the Seattle Seahawks in late July in their scouting department.

Jamie grew up in the UNI football program. The DOPS position is pretty easy and requires no football knowledge- which she actually has.

It was a quick hire because it needed to be. She reports to the AD, not to Mark.

As for the topic of this thread - yes. I’m hoping he gets a LB or DC role on Scott Frosts Nebraska staff. The buy out gets taken care of and we go aggressively after an offensive mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panthers1995
December 2nd, 2017, 04:23 PM
I have been saying all year, the kids are no longer playing Farley is going to retire. We are on the cusp but we need some change. We have the talent.

PantherRob82
December 2nd, 2017, 04:25 PM
We never had the DBs to win this game in good weather.

clenz
December 2nd, 2017, 04:26 PM
I have been saying all year, the kids are no longer playing Farley is going to retire. We are on the cusp but we need some change. We have the talent.

Talking with some other people and a few names floated out that I really liked. One of them was Tom Manning who is the OC at Iowa State.

He makes 350k now. Give him Farley’s deal and make him the HC. What he’s done with ISU and Toledo before that is nuts. Put an offensive mind with the talent we have and let it run.

uni88
December 2nd, 2017, 04:33 PM
I knew Mark back in day so I'm biased but IMO this was a transition year due to all of the changes on the coaching staff so my expectations were lower and this team exceeded them. Next year is more important to knowing where the program is headed.

I was also there when they pushed Mudra out to make room for Earle Bruce and that was a huge mistake. This doesn't mean that you don't make a change but it does mean that you need to understand the risk that the change could backfire and the program could go backwards.

If there is a change, what about Paup coming back from Minnesota?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

cx500d
December 2nd, 2017, 05:24 PM

From Minnesota? He's learned how to become a loser there, why would you want that.

clenz
December 2nd, 2017, 05:28 PM
From Minnesota? He's learned how to become a loser there, why would you want that.

He’s been there a year. He was at UNI for 4 years before that.

He makes 100k less than Farley makes.

clenz
December 2nd, 2017, 05:32 PM
I knew Mark back in day so I'm biased but IMO this was a transition year due to all of the changes on the coaching staff so my expectations were lower and this team exceeded them. Next year is more important to knowing where the program is headed.

I was also there when they pushed Mudra out to make room for Earle Bruce and that was a huge mistake. This doesn't mean that you don't make a change but it does mean that you need to understand the risk that the change could backfire and the program could go backwards.

Typical apologetic thought process that has gotten us where we are. Literally nothing about this was a transition year. 4 OL we’re back. Top 3 RBs we’re back. Starting QB was back. All of the TEs we’re back. 5 of the top 6 DL we’re back. 4 of the top 5 LBs we’re back. 2 all conference DBs we’re back with a third starter back. Literally nothing about this was a ****ing transition year.

This year played out like every damn year does. Start like **** because Farley won’t let the staff build the program. It gets to be too late and Farley decides to go into aggressive mode because this team has to win at least 5 of its last 6 to have a prayer. Get to the playoffs and Farley ball comes back because he doesn’t trust his staffs plan that got them there.

Enough is enough.

Bisonator
December 2nd, 2017, 07:00 PM
Farley deserves a lifetime contract at UNI. xnodx

neverobeyed
December 2nd, 2017, 07:18 PM
Farley deserves a lifetime contract at UNI. xnodx

He isn't going anywhere unless voluntary - his contract is too expensive to buy out.

uni88
December 2nd, 2017, 10:42 PM
Typical apologetic thought process that has gotten us where we are. Literally nothing about this was a transition year. 4 OL we’re back. Top 3 RBs we’re back. Starting QB was back. All of the TEs we’re back. 5 of the top 6 DL we’re back. 4 of the top 5 LBs we’re back. 2 all conference DBs we’re back with a third starter back. Literally nothing about this was a ****ing transition year.

This year played out like every damn year does. Start like **** because Farley won’t let the staff build the program. It gets to be too late and Farley decides to go into aggressive mode because this team has to win at least 5 of its last 6 to have a prayer. Get to the playoffs and Farley ball comes back because he doesn’t trust his staffs plan that got them there.

Enough is enough.

First, I admitted I was biased at the start of my post. Second, it might not have been a transition year from a talent/experience perspective but it was a transition year from a coaching staff perspective. There was a lot of turnover and IMO the team wasn't just struggling because they were too conservative to start the year. They were struggling because they weren't executing and I believe the coaching changes had a big impact on that.

I understand and don't disagree with the frustration. I also realize that you are closer to the program than I am and have a better feeling for what is going on. But we need to be honest and understand that a change doesn't guarantee a positive result. There is a decent chance that things could get worse (Bruce, Dunbar, etc.). If a change is made, I am a fan and will support the program (unless they start recruiting criminals en masse).

clenz
December 2nd, 2017, 10:57 PM
First, I admitted I was biased at the start of my post. Second, it might not have been a transition year from a talent/experience perspective but it was a transition year from a coaching staff perspective. There was a lot of turnover and IMO the team wasn't just struggling because they were too conservative to start the year. They were struggling because they weren't executing and I believe the coaching changes had a big impact on that.

I understand and don't disagree with the frustration. I also realize that you are closer to the program than I am and have a better feeling for what is going on. But we need to be honest and understand that a change doesn't guarantee a positive result. There is a decent chance that things could get worse (Bruce, Dunbar, etc.). If a change is made, I am a fan and will support the program (unless they start recruiting criminals en masse).

Not making a change because “things could be worse” is the sign of a scared program. The sign of an unwillingness to push for hiring things. It’s fear based. It’s short sighted.

Dunbar was 29-14 in 4 years before he was canned because that wasn’t acceptable. 7-4 is now considered a good season at UNI.

There is a decent chance that doing nothing will continue to make the program worse and we actually have proof of that. Not just a hypothetical built on fear.

UNI has now lost at least 5 games 6 years in a row and 7 of the last 8. It’s been 6 seasons since our last conference title. The longest streak before this in our D1 era? 4 seasons (97-00). Those horrid Dunbar years. Outside of that? 2 seasons (88, 89).

Literally nothing about the direction of this program is acceptable right now. If Dunbar wasn’t acceptable than neither is Farley. This is the worst 8 year span in UNI D1 history. More losses than any other 8 year span. More conference losses. Fewer conference titles.

If “it could be worse” is the reasoning as a fan base, we deserve worse

JayJ79
December 3rd, 2017, 11:10 AM
Back in the day, UNI dominated the Gateway conference. But the Gateway conference back in the day wasn't anything compared to what the MVFC is these days. Even then, UNI more often than not would make the playoffs, win their first round home game, and then lose on the road. That much hasn't really changed.

Yes, UNI football has fallen some, and I wouldn't be adverse to a coaching change. But comparing conference records "back then" to now isn't really a valid comparison.

As far as some of the other points from the OP's list...
always seems to me that the Farley kids were decent linebackers, don't know if I'd consider that unfair nepotism.
And I really can't fathom the DOPs position having that much impact on on-the-field play one way or the other. (I mean yes, they handle many important aspects of keeping a football program running, but unless they're totally dropping the ball on stuff, I don't think that has anything to do with the scoreboard results)

uni88
December 3rd, 2017, 12:36 PM
Not making a change because “things could be worse” is the sign of a scared program. The sign of an unwillingness to push for hiring things. It’s fear based. It’s short sighted.

Dunbar was 29-14 in 4 years before he was canned because that wasn’t acceptable. 7-4 is now considered a good season at UNI.

There is a decent chance that doing nothing will continue to make the program worse and we actually have proof of that. Not just a hypothetical built on fear.

UNI has now lost at least 5 games 6 years in a row and 7 of the last 8. It’s been 6 seasons since our last conference title. The longest streak before this in our D1 era? 4 seasons (97-00). Those horrid Dunbar years. Outside of that? 2 seasons (88, 89).

Literally nothing about the direction of this program is acceptable right now. If Dunbar wasn’t acceptable than neither is Farley. This is the worst 8 year span in UNI D1 history. More losses than any other 8 year span. More conference losses. Fewer conference titles.

If “it could be worse” is the reasoning as a fan base, we deserve worse

Jay is right that comparing the MVFC to the Gateway is apples and oranges.

You're right that not making a change because of fear of things getting worse is a sign of scared program. I've seen changes made with the belief that a program will improve and then when it doesn't fans act like they never supported the change and question why it was made. I'm just saying that if we're going to make a change let's make it with our eyes open and understand that there is risk involved. As I said earlier, I'm a fan and will support the program with Mark or another coach in charge.

Back to one of your earlier posts, the best case scenario for a change is Mark leaving voluntarily. He's been a huge part of the school for such a long time that forcing him out is going to cause a rift.

Panthers1995
December 3rd, 2017, 06:14 PM

Have you seen the schedule for next year? Talk about brutal. Next year will be interesting.

putter
December 3rd, 2017, 09:03 PM
You can't let him go. I want to welcome him to Missoula at least one more time next year.

JSUSoutherner
December 3rd, 2017, 09:07 PM

UNIs DOPS guy got offered a position by the Seattle Seahawks in late July in their scouting department.

Jamie grew up in the UNI football program. The DOPS position is pretty easy and requires no football knowledge- which she actually has.

It was a quick hire because it needed to be. She reports to the AD, not to Mark.

As for the topic of this thread - yes. I’m hoping he gets a LB or DC role on Scott Frosts Nebraska staff. The buy out gets taken care of and we go aggressively after an offensive mind

You guys should hire John Grass. xnodx

Scooter
December 3rd, 2017, 10:38 PM
Farley's kid is generally seen as one of the MVFC better linebackers. To imply that he was on team because of who his dad is shows how blind people can get when they get irrational. There are 8 other teams that would have welcomed him in a heartbeat.

clenz
December 3rd, 2017, 11:25 PM
Anyone who thinks Jake or Jared playing was because of his father being the coach deserves a bullet to the kneecap.

Jake was a B12 recruit that transferred back to UNI. Jared committed so early no one else went after him. He also lost a season to a broken leg in HS. Between the two of them I believe there are something like 7 different types of all conference honors and probably 6 or 7 all American honors. Both were Buchannon award finalists.

I will literally fight anyone who thinks they played because of nepotism

Bisonoline
December 3rd, 2017, 11:29 PM
Anyone who thinks Jake or Jared playing was because of his father being the coach deserves a bullet to the kneecap.

Jake was a B12 recruit that transferred back to UNI. Jared committed so early no one else went after him. He also lost a season to a broken leg in HS. Between the two of them I believe there are something like 7 different types of all conference honors and probably 6 or 7 all American honors. Both were Buchannon award finalists.

Those two kids were fantastic football players.

clenz
December 4th, 2017, 11:36 AM

Just looked

Jake had 12 different All Conference/All District/All American honors on his own - does not include preseason honors as I didn't feel like tracking those down
Jared isn't yet complete with honors but he'll end up around 10-12 as well.

Not bad for two kids who only got to play because their dad was the coach.

neverobeyed
December 4th, 2017, 11:38 AM

Just like the old man. Mark was tenacious on the field.

All three were among the best players on the field any time they were on the field. I wish there were more in the queue.

MR. CHICKEN
December 4th, 2017, 11:43 AM

All three were among the best players on the field any time they were on the field. I wish there were more in the queue.

...YA KNOW....YOUSE CAN BOTTLE DAT STUFF.....xnodx........AWK!

UNIFanSince1983
December 4th, 2017, 03:09 PM

Just announced some of the assistants here in Lincoln. And appears the whole defensive staff is already filled so unlikely Farley comes here. Unless you mean Jared being a Grad Assistant since his girlfriend is already attending grad school at UNL.

JayJ79
December 4th, 2017, 04:25 PM
always seems kind of weird to me to discuss the personal lives of college kids on a forum like this. Though I suppose alot of things about life (and the internet) are weird.

Bisonoline
December 4th, 2017, 07:57 PM

When we played them I loved watching them play.

dewey
December 4th, 2017, 08:11 PM

Maybe I missed it in skimming over the threads but was someone stating that the Farley kids only played because their dad was the coach? If so that was ridiculous and potentially dumb post of the year candidate.

Those two were fun to watch. I bet the daughter cpuld play linebacker better than most:D

Dewey

achrist70
December 4th, 2017, 08:21 PM
After last year I was on the we need Farley gone yesterday wagon. After this year we don't need a change, partly because of the buyout, but also because of the way the staff was able to come together. If we can keep this staff together then I feel that we could win a conference title with the fact that we will have both the Bison and Jacks at home. When we move on from Farley I think we need to look at Bryce Paup as a legitimate candidate. But I do think that there are many others with UNI connections that would re energize the program.

Just out of curiosity what is Klieman's salary at NDSU. I don't think he would ever come back, but you never know being from Waterloo.

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Just out of curiosity what is Klieman's salary at NDSU. I don't think he would ever come back, but you never know being from Waterloo.

Quit trolling! Mods, ban this guy!

Panthers1995
December 5th, 2017, 07:20 AM
After last year I was on the we need Farley gone yesterday wagon. After this year we don't need a change, partly because of the buyout, but also because of the way the staff was able to come together. If we can keep this staff together then I feel that we could win a conference title with the fact that we will have both the Bison and Jacks at home. When we move on from Farley I think we need to look at Bryce Paup as a legitimate candidate. But I do think that there are many others with UNI connections that would re energize the program.

UNI would have the money to give to Klieman if he really does want to come back. If Farley ever leaves my money is on at least one of the NDSU top 3 coaches coming home.

Gil Dobie
December 5th, 2017, 07:25 AM
UNI would have the money to give to Klieman if he really does want to come back. If Farley ever leaves my money is on at least one of the NDSU top 3 coaches coming home.

Kind of keeping the NDSUNI thingy going, starting with Mudra.

clenz
December 5th, 2017, 07:44 AM
Maybe I missed it in skimming over the threads but was someone stating that the Farley kids only played because their dad was the coach? If so that was ridiculous and potentially dumb post of the year candidate.

Those two were fun to watch. I bet the daughter cpuld play linebacker better than most:D

Dewey
That's been a claim around PN, and the UNI fan base since Jake transferred home from Kansas after his freshman season of 2010 down there. The claims were "If it wasn't the coaches son we wouldn't take him" were from a relatively small portion of the base, but they certainly existed enough to be known. However, he was a B12 recruit so it was mostly accepted.

Jared's recruitment and time, especially early on wasn't as well received. Mark didn't recruit him real hard because he wanted Jared to make his own choice. Jared started varsity at one of the biggest/best programs in the state as a sophomore. As a junior he had 112 tackles - which led the state. Between his height and connections to UNI there wasn't a ton of outside interest to try to draw him outside of CF. Then the coaches as Cedar Falls decided to play him at QB his senior season and he suffered a broken leg.

The plan was for him to redshirt in 2017. He was put in during a blowout win in week 3, which raised some ire. He was 1 of just 3 true freshman to play that season. Of course people thought it was because it was Mark's son. He got a start that year - again - it was thought it was because it was his son. He started as a sophomore. It wasn't until after he recorded 97 tackles, 9 TFL, a 3 sacks, 3 TFL 3 fumble recoveries and a pick that people started going "Yeah, maybe he can play but it's still mostly because it's Mark's son."

Again, it was a small portion of the fan base, but they made enough noise for it to be known.

Morons, the lot of them.

caribbeanhen
December 5th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Does the Coach have anymore kids in the pipeline or has the pipe been all cleaned out ?

ST_Lawson
December 5th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Kind of keeping the NDSUNI thingy going, starting with Mudra.

FWIW (which isn't much), like Mudra, both Klieman and Entz coached at WIU for a while.

clenz
December 5th, 2017, 08:59 AM
FWIW (which isn't much), like Mudra, both Klieman and Entz coached at WIU for a while.
Klieman grew up in Waterloo and played at UNI
Entz played at Wartburg - 15 minutes from Cedar Falls

UNI lays majority claim

ST_Lawson
December 5th, 2017, 09:29 AM

UNI lays majority claim

Correct...plus there's plenty of other UNI connections on the coaching staff as well. I was just mentioning an additional WIU connection (even though I'm probably the only one who cares about it).

neverobeyed
December 5th, 2017, 09:32 AM

UNI lays majority claim

As long as we are fueling speculation, Klieman’s brother-in-law is his old UNI teammate and second team All-America DL Terry Orth. Not that Terry is in Iowa any longer, but always fun to connect dots.

clenz
December 5th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Correct...plus there's plenty of other UNI connections on the coaching staff as well. I was just mentioning an additional WIU connection (even though I'm probably the only one who cares about it).
Nebraska's new staff is basically just UNI's staff from about 2005-2011

Farley has a hell of a coaching tree he's put out over the years

Nebraska
Scott Frost
Jovan Dewitt
Erik Chinander
Mario Verduzco

NDSU's coaches include
Kris Kleiman - player and coach
Matt Entz - coach
Courtney Messingham - player and coach...also born in Waterloo

Other notable coaches I remember off the top of my head
Jerry Montgomery - Green Bay Packers (Michigan and Oklahoma after UNI)
Bryce Paup - Minnesota
Brandon Lynch - ECU
DJ Hord - Seattle Seahawks

My brain is half working right now but those are all coaches that got their start at the D1 level playing for/coaching with/under Farley

neverobeyed
December 5th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Nebraska's new staff is basically just UNI's staff from about 2005-2011

Farley has a hell of a coaching tree he's put out over the years

Nebraska
Scott Frost
Jovan Dewitt
Erik Chinander
Mario Verduzco

They can just rent a fleet of semi trucks to move those four up from Central Florida.

NDSU's coaches include
Kris Kleiman - player and coach
Matt Entz - coach
Courtney Messingham - player and coach...also born in Waterloo

All three grew up in Waterloo. Kleiman QB'd at Waterloo Columbus, Messingham at Waterloo West. Entz was at Waterloo West as well.

Other notable coaches I remember off the top of my head
Jerry Montgomery - Green Bay Packers (Michigan and Oklahoma after UNI)
Bryce Paup - Minnesota
Brandon Lynch - ECU
DJ Hord - Seattle Seahawks

My brain is half working right now but those are all coaches that got their start at the D1 level playing for/coaching with/under Farley

Thundar
December 5th, 2017, 02:45 PM

His Base Salary this year is $312,000 next year he gets a 4% increase, then you have to add the media package which I believe is 5k and then his personal appearance stuff which is 25K

so before any of the game winning bonus stuff its 342K plus benefits

he then gets the below

8 wins in Conference - 10K
MVFC Championship - 10K
Home Playoff games - 5K per game
Away playoff games - 2,500 per game
NC game win - 15K
NC game loss - 10K

They are discussing this on BV right now so those numbers are pretty accurate as I read the contract from last year but stole the numbers from Tjbison over there, To add to their discussion I thought I had heard his total possible package if all Bonuses are reached with Benefits can total around $462K this year

Bisonator
December 5th, 2017, 07:25 PM

UNI lays majority claim
Lol and there's a reason they left too.:D

Ronin
December 6th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Enough is enough.

Agreed. My original post was not about the current game or season, but about the trend over the past 5 years or so.

Ronin
December 6th, 2017, 11:07 AM

I believe you have missed the point. And who is to say their replacement would not have the same honors or higher.

Your bravado of assault online is misguided to your loyalty to the Farley family. I am rather curious as to why you are so loyal.

Ronin
December 6th, 2017, 11:10 AM

True change does not guarantee positive results, but staying the course obviously will not.

clenz
December 6th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I believe you have missed the point. And who is to say their replacement would not have the same honors or higher.

Your bravado of assault online is misguided to your loyalty to the Farley family. I am rather curious as to why you are so loyal.
What the flying **** are you talking about?

So you believe they played only because the name on the back of their uniform was Farley? Really? That's something you actually believe? Who is to say that the people stepping in for the Farley brothers wouldn't have also been All American, All Conference, Buchanan semi-finalists, etc...? I guess anything is possible.

It's incredible to think that people think two LB's who combined to play in 80 career games, combined for 578 tackles, 28 TFL, 6 sacks, 6 INT, 21 PBUs, 7 forced fumbles and 7 fumble recoveries. Jared led the team in tackles in 2015, 2016 and 2017. Jake led in 2 of this 3 seasons - the one he didn't he suffered a broken leg 5 games in and still had 56 tackles and was top 10 on the team in tackles. He recovered from that broken leg to have 124 the next year.

I guess it's entirely possible that someone else puts up the numbers the Farley brothers did. It's not like they were out there and barely treading water to look like they belonged. They were out there and were the best players on the field on defenses that included multiple NFLers, All Americans, etc...

You really think I'm blinded by a loyalty to Farley? Have you read literally any post I've made about our coaching situation in the last 3 years?

Sycamore62
December 6th, 2017, 11:54 AM
If I were Farley id replace some more coaches. seems to have worked so far.

Thumper 76
December 7th, 2017, 02:16 AM

Holy **** everything about this post is retarded. Absolutely ****ing retarded xlolx xlolx xlolx

uni88
December 7th, 2017, 05:51 AM
You really think I'm blinded by a loyalty to Farley? Have you read literally any post I've made about our coaching situation in the last 3 years?

Or just in this thread. You've been objective in your opinions on Mark and his sons.

And if there were a player as good or better than either son they would not have been sitting so a Farley could play. They would be on the field and someone who wasn't as good wouldn't have started.

clenz
December 7th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Back in the day, UNI dominated the Gateway conference. But the Gateway conference back in the day wasn't anything compared to what the MVFC is these days. Even then, UNI more often than not would make the playoffs, win their first round home game, and then lose on the road. That much hasn't really changed.

Yes, UNI football has fallen some, and I wouldn't be adverse to a coaching change. But comparing conference records "back then" to now isn't really a valid comparison.

Meant to reply to this earlier but what a load of horse ****. In 2007 UNI went 12-0 in the regular season while SDSU and NDSU weren't even full D1 members yet and USD hadn't started their D2 transition. Don't give this "I guess we just need to accept our place" bull****. "Oh, other teams got better. I guess we just have to accept that we are going to lose at least 3 conference games every year from now on and be happy." Are you ****ing kidding me?

I sure wish NDSU had that attitude when they went 9-13 in their first two years as a MVFC program. They could have easily just gone "Well, this isn't D2 or the Great West anymore. It's a better conference. I guess we will just have to learn to accept our place in this conference. Apples and oranges for conferences so it's okay". SDSU came in and were a sub .500 team in 2 of their first four years in the conference and 25-21 overall. It would have been easy for them to go "Man, this league is a different animal. We don't have the financial resources to compete. We don't have the size of the fan base as others. I guess we'll just learn to accept being a team that goes 6-5, on average.". Did they do that? **** no. What did SDSU do? Had the balls to go "Nope, this isn't going to be acceptable. We are going to find the donors, find the fans, find the players, that want to create a better program" and they worked their asses off and have found something like $150m to build an IPF, build a brand new stadium, build facilities that are at the top of the FCS. They invested in coaches and players that have cultivated the culture of winning. Of competing. Of not accepting that they were just a 6-5 or 7-4 program.

USD was in it's first year as D1 program when UNI won it's last conference title. They went 6-28 in their first 3 years against D1, including 3-21 in MVFC play. They let the coach go that was there and what did they do? A ****ing baller move in stealing a coach away from a conference mate that was building something special at a place that had also been struggling to find it's place for over a decade. The coach finds success in his first two years and when rumors start floating about him taking off what does USD do? Do they just go "Well, I guess this is our place so let's accept it."? **** no. They nutted the hell up, paid the man that made them successful AND announced a $27m renovation project for their stadium at the same damn time.

The playoffs back then were also 16 teams. None of the playoff teams UNI has had since 2011 make a 16 team field. UNI has been bailed out by the PFL and PL wanting autobids creating a forced playoff expansion.

That's a loser attitude that leads to loser results.

clenz
December 7th, 2017, 08:09 AM
As far as me being blinded by loyalty to Farley...from the Fire Farley thread on PN - posts I've made

10-15-2016, 08:35 PM

Done. Farley needs to go. Promote Paup.

10-18-2016, 02:33 PM

Re: Fire Farley

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post (https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/29263-fire-farley?p=639670#post639670)
Would guess that most good HC candidates would look poorly on an AD directly firing assistants, absent special circumstances.

How would this not be "special circumstances" given the last 8 years

If we're to believe that this isn't because Farley is overruling things and it's all on the offensive staff, why hasn't Farley addressed it?

I would argue that our offense the last 7-8 years is call for a special circumstances, especially our passing game. It's getting worse every year and nothing is being done about it. Either Farley needs to go or the offensive staff needs to go and we've seen Farley unwilling to make changes to the staff OR to how he handles it. He's shown an inability to make changes - scheme or staff to fix things.

Since Grace left campus our QBs are a combined 1,132-2,060 (55%) for 14,858 yards 106 touchdowns 62 picks. Those numbers are near the bottom of the conference over that time. Take Sawyer's numbers (the only true QB we've had since) out and it's REAL ugly. 642-1208 (52%) 8,597 yards 57 touchdowns 40 picks.

Those numbers, even with Sawyer, are hideous. Coupled with the downward spiral that goes well beyond just raw passing numbers and there is no way to not look at it as a special circumstance.

10-21-2016, 11:30 AMRe: Fire Farley

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post (https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/29263-fire-farley?p=639788#post639788)
Certainly, but my point was that the HC candidate's enthusiasm for the job could be diminished if he had cause to think the AD might then fire the assistants he had brought in. If I as a HC am accepting responsibility for the W-L record, I want to be the person hiring and firing my own assistants.

When it's clear the HC isn't going to do that actions need to be taken

11-02-2016, 11:07 AMRe: Fire Farley

Originally posted by Luther_Heggs View Post (https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/29263-fire-farley?p=640444#post640444)
College coaches are not like your typical fan. They are not presented with a scenario such as this and after five seconds make a decision. Coaches have run through these scenarios many, many times before presented in a game situation. I'm sure Coach Farley could talk for an hour on the pros and cons of the decision. Fans might be able to keep up a conversation for 20 seconds. Maybe less. I have full confidence that Coach Farley made the best decision.

Coaches are creatures of habit and are afraid to change

Farley's habit is being conservative and chicken **** when it comes to taking chances.

The "sheets" coaches use are outdated and based on old, flawed, math. You'd be shocked at what the more recent studies are showing about going for it on 4th down, going for 2, etc... are actually showing.

11-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post (https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/29263-fire-farley?p=640473#post640473)
Heard this the other day with regards to coaching football and mistakes/losses. "You are either coaching it, or you are allowing it".

UNI is 6-20 the last 4 years in 1 score football games. Thats a large sample size and is not a fluke. Various degrees of bad to average offense, specifically with the passing game in that time frame and an overall lack of execution and decision making are to blame.

Our overall talent level of our roster has remained incredibly high, near the top nationally IMO, and its talent alone that has allowed us to be in basically every simgle game that we play regardless of everything else. At least that is my view of things. Our coaches have to do better putting our players in the position to win games.

100% true.

An even slightly above average offense game plan the last half decade makes a massive difference. It's all down to coaching. Talent isn't an issue. Execution could be but when the schemes are so bad execution doesn't truly matter.

2-11-2016, 05:14 PM

How about moving Preston Woods from DL to OL for most of the year a season or two ago? Yep, many forget that happened but it did.

Or this year during a Monday press conference Farley said that he'd be willing to move a handful of DL to OL midweek if needed too to make the OL better. No mention of actually doing things to improve the line. No mention of needing to recruit more OL depth. It was his Sept 20th presser and he said, and this is nearly word for word quote, "I'll deplete the defensive line to create an offensive line.".

I, sadly, believe that.

Apparently moving guys like Preston Woods early in his career is a better way to build on OL than actually recruiting and developing OL.

I **** you not, go look at the 2015 roster. Preston Woods is listed as an OL. That wasn't just a typo either. He was listed as a DL in 2014 and wore number 96. In 2015 his number was changed to 61 and was listed as an OL. "Thankfully" he had an illness that caused him to miss most of the early part of that season and by the time he was able to come back they had to move him back to DL to give depth to the rotation.

If I'm not mistaken Griffin Geata went back and forth between TE and DE about a dozen times while on campus.

There are legitimate concerns that need to be addressed. As the season wore on and we saw playmakers finally seeing the field it became more evident. Dunne, Browning, Malloy, etc... It's just unreal

12-12-2016, 04:28 PMRe: Fire Farley

Originally posted by Cap'n Cat View Post (https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/29263-fire-farley?p=644980#post644980)
Ebbs and flows, the tide comes in, the tide goes out.

Again, consider all the institutions who would kill to have a program like ours; one about which posters on its message boards can occasionally mewl about a 5-6 season. Perspective, kiddos.

Sure.

I also don't give a single flying F what Indiana State or Missouri State would kill for. I know what I would kill for. I know what 99% of our fan base would kill for. I know what Farley would kill for.

If we are going "Yeah, this sucks but other teams would like this kind of success" we aren't pushing the bar forward. We are settling on "Yeah, but we still have it better than these guys". Meanwhile programs like NDSU and SDSU have come in with the attitude of "IDGAF what the rest of you have. I care about what I have. I care about what I want. If you don't like it, BFD."

SDSU, who has just 1 conference title (2007 Great West) since 1963 has come into our conference and now has more conference titles than UNI over the last 5 years, more playoff victories, and 10 times the momentum moving forward.

Again, WGAF what others have. This should be about us. This should be about what it takes to get UNI a national f-ing title to actually talk about rather than "Yeah, but we were close in 05, 07, 08, and blah blah blah.".

12-17-2016, 09:24 PMPelini just showed what a fraud Farley can be at times. That YSU team was missing 4 or 5 starters to suspension. That YSU team, top to bottom, is well below UNI, NDSU, SDSU in terms of overall talent. That YSU team was complete garbage through half the season. Pelini made a change to a QB he didn't want. To a QB that was more of a passer than a runner (Pelini wanted a runner). He allowed his staff more control over the team. Hey are now playing for a national title.

Maybe Farley should take some ****ing notes

06-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Blue42 View Post (https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/29263-fire-farley?p=655242#post655242)

Orignially posted by Blue42
True that.

These fellas on this board wallowing in over the top pessimism are doing nothing to help UNI football.

Yep. I'm the issue.
Not that fact that after 6 games we've been 2-4 in each and every single one of the last 5 years.
Not the fact we have as many seasons under .500 as playoff appearances the last 5 years
Not the fact that we have more seasons missing the playoffs than making the playoffs the last 5 years
Not the fact that outside if DJ didn't wear purple and gold we probably don't have a playoff bid since 2011 and at least one or two more seasons under .500

I'm the issue with the fan base. I'm the issue with the football program. My season tickets and donations are the issue with the football program. Nevermind that the only thing (literally) that hasn't changed with the program in the last 5 years in the person running it and the issues are still as bad as they've ever been. GMAFB

This team has as much/more talent than any team in the conference on it's roster. Do you honestly believe it will be used properly? If so, other than blind homerism, please explain why. Great, the new assistants are full of social media fire and seem excited in front of little kids and their family. Fantastic. They haven't actually had to coach a season with Farley yet.

Hey, maybe Farley changes....for the first time in 30 years. It could happen, right?

This is as blinded by loyalty as I get with Farley

10-11-2017, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by dan_beeding View Post (https://www.panthernation.com/forum/specific-sports-topic-forums/panther-football/29263-fire-farley?p=672484#post672484)
So are we at the point where a majority of people are wanting him gone, or is it just a few loud voices? I'd post a poll, but we've already got one thread about getting rid of him and I'm not sure I want to have my real name attached to that. I'm fine telling everyone that I think it's time but I've thought that since '09 when I had a personal experience that showed his character (or lack thereof).

There are a few of us who are "trumpeting" the time for change. The majority is silent, even if they want change/think it should happen. There are many with bridges and relationships to protect. There are people like me who don't really have any bridges.

I worked in the UNI ticket office for nearly 3 years in the late 00s. I interacted with coaches from all sports on a daily basis. I can honestly say I never had a bad experience with Farley. He took time, more than anyone except Jake, to talk to use student workers in the ticket office. After I graduated I had a couple interactions with him "in the real world". Zero chance he remembered me, and that is to be expected. I can't say I had a bad interaction with him there either. I've certainly heard of other cases that don't match up with mine.

I don't have any bad feelings for, or towards, him. I know others do. I don't want a coaching change because I think he's a bad person (some do). If ever there was a person to be the "UNI guy" as the head coach and lead us over the top, i wish it was him. At this point, I don't think that will/can happen. Sometimes eras have to end.

That's just a fraction of the posts on that thread alone on PantherNation on the topic. That excludes every Tweet, text, etc... about my thoughts on the head coaching situation

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2017, 09:03 AM
Geez clenz, take off your purple colored glasses. ;) xlolx

BisonFan02
December 7th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Geez clenz, take off your purple colored glasses and stop defending Farley. ;) xlolx

Yah...... xlolx

clenz
December 19th, 2017, 11:37 AM

Jared picks up yet another All American honor

Man...how blinded are the STATS, College Sports Madness and Phil Steele voters that have made Jared an all American, yet again, this year.

Just hideous that Farley insisted on playing his sons. How dare he play the kids that earn 8 different All American honors in their careers?!?!?!?!

OUTRAGE

Of course, Ronin and Woody Hayes are gone and not coming back anytime soon so we won't get their input on this.

ST_Lawson
December 19th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Jared picks up yet another All American honor

Man...how blinded are the STATS, College Sports Madness and Phil Steele voters that have made Jared an all American, yet again, this year.

Just hideous that Farley insisted on playing his sons. How dare he play the kids that earn 8 different All American honors in their careers?!?!?!?!

OUTRAGE

Of course, Ronin and Woody Hayes are gone and not coming back anytime soon so we won't get their input on this.

I guess they think that if it weren't for Jared, then you guys would have picked up some kid off the street who would be the next Buck Buchanan winner or something.

clenz
December 19th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I guess they think that if it weren't for Jared, then you guys would have picked up some kid off the street who would be the next Buck Buchanan winner or something.
The stupid thing is - these guys will feel justified in a year or two when UNI lands another LB or 2 on All American teams. That's what UNI does. All Conference and All American level LBs.

We'll see if this next one pans out, but we had a kid redshirt this year with greyshirt offers from Michigan/Michigan State that picked UNI. If he develops it's gonna be good.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2017, 09:06 PM
It's time for Farley to go. Each year he slips more and more.

Pro:

Defense - Gives up big plays time and time again. Farley insists in playing a zone pass defense and continues to get burned year after year.
Offense - Continues to struggle with the run after the absence of David Johnson. Biggest criticism is still trying for a running QB in the option play. Give it up! Hasn't worked for 7 years.
Offense - Fails to hire an offensive coordinator after driving away their long term coordinator. Farley thinks he can call the plays from the sideline.
Offense - Play calling is stagnant and very predictable. Where the fans are yelling out the play before the hike.
Nepotism with his youngest son playing... yes, his older son played for UNI as well. Questionable if he is the best choice. Has him playing defense and offense.
Nepotism - This time with his daughter taking the reins as UNI Director of football operations. WTF is this?

Con:

His leaving will cause a transition period, but one that is necessary for the program to grow.

Sounds like a clear cut choice, Farley should stay!

uni88
December 20th, 2017, 11:10 AM
I think they believed that there was actually someone sitting on the bench who was better but didn't play because of nepotism. Like if we had someone better than either Farley the coaching staff wouldn't have put them both on the field at the same time. xcrazyx

clenz
December 20th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I think they believed that there was actually someone sitting on the bench who was better but didn't play because of nepotism. Like if we had someone better than either Farley the coaching staff wouldn't have put them both on the field at the same time. xcrazyx
Other LBs on the roster

Junior Class
Duncan Ferch rJR- 2 year starter alongside Jared. 94 tackes this year 60 the year before
Rickey Neal rJR - played DE all year and led the MVFC in sacks
Blake Thomas rJR - reserve LB and ST player. That's really all he is. Maybe he takes a step forward next year but that wouldn't prove anything about this year
Kendrick Suntken JR - JUCO transfer that simply isn't starter material. Good ST, good reserve spot player.
Christian Perez - JR - a small college transfer 2 years ago. He's actually more of a DL/LB hybrid. Jared isn't holding this kid off the field because of nepotism

Sophomore class:
Jesse Cardenas rSO - redshirted then missed 2016 with an injury. Had a hell of HS career, but man if you think a kid coming off of not playing in 2 years is going to step in an be better than Jared...then...um...
Ricky Grimes rSO - if you'd rather play Ricky over Jared...then...well...um....just no. His HS bio doesn't even include anything about him playing defense. It lists how he had 148 receptions for 1,590 yards and 2 TDs as a 6'1 195lb WR. He came to UNI as a WR...no joke

Positionhttp://www.unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3009eceiver

PositionWide ReceiverClassFr.
HometownEldridge, Iowa
HighschoolNorth Scott High School

Class
Fr.

Hometown
Eldridge, Iowa

Highschool
North Scott High School

Freshman class:
Jake Hartford rFR - plays OLB and started a few games. Looks really good. Has a real bright future but sure as **** isn't Jared Farley
Alfonzo Lambert rFR - spot reserve and ST player. Coaches like him but needs development yet.Tt

The following were true freshman that redshirt
Brock Hadacheck - Was a massive get. Had offers from a handful of MAC schools, USD, Montana State and had Iowa and Iowa State offering grey shirt. When he sent his NLI in the staff was thrilled. He will be great, but as a true freshman there is no way he is better than Jared
Chris Kolarevic - see the same thing about Brock Hadechek. He's from Michigan and had GS offers from Michigan and Michigan State. He seems to fit that "next Farley" mold, even if some think that isn't based on skill. Even looks like Jared when in uniform.
Zac Ebeling
Weston Schultz

That's it. That is 100% of the listed LBs from this year outside of Jared.

The future of the LB corp will be Hadacheck, Kolarevic, Hartford and Lambert. All of very high ceilings, but nowhere near Jared last year.

I hate our fanbase.