PDA

View Full Version : Chances of Cecchini Making a Move?

ngineer
December 1st, 2017, 09:09 PM
With some upheaval in the East, I was wondering if Dave Cecchini, current HC at Valpariso and who has done an nice job of turning that program around, might not be a candidate for either the Holy Cross HC position OR the OC or other assistant position at Penn State,now that Moorhead is going to Miss. State?

PAllen
December 1st, 2017, 11:24 PM
I would guess that chances are pretty high he'll make a move. Rumor was he wanted the Yale job years ago, but they wanted him to have HC experience. I doubt that was the first time he heard it. So he took the job at Valpo, which many thought would be the death of his chances at a larger HC gig. Low and behold, he turns them around. Now he's got the credentials for the larger time HC gig he's wanted all along. I wish he would be announced as the next LU coach, but I don't see that happening based on timing and the lack of moves by the LU admin. PSU might be a stretch, but HC should be an easy jump as long as the Crusaders aren't gun shy about taking another long time successful Lehigh assistant as a HC.

Model Citizen
December 1st, 2017, 11:28 PM
A few years ago, Chris Creighton of Drake became the third coach to move directly from the PFL to a FBS head coaching position.

Dave C likes to be the head man. And if he leaves Valpo, he can do better than Holy Cross.

Sader87
December 2nd, 2017, 01:27 AM
The Holy Cross job is a sneaky good job imo

Neighbor2
December 2nd, 2017, 04:40 AM
I'd certainly like to see Cecchini back at Lehigh. Problem is, he probably has more lofty goals than just winning a Patriot League Championship. All the evidence I've seen so far indicates the 'Holy Grail' of Patriot League football is merely winning its own tiny championship standings. Not very appealing to many enthusiastic and ambitious coaching or player recruits.

RichH2
December 2nd, 2017, 08:27 AM
Certainly possible. Dave has done a phenomenal job at Valpo. I also would prefer if he can back to Lehigh as HC. Not likely any time soon. Hope he gets the HC spot he is seeking. Selfishly I dont want that spot to be HC. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 2nd, 2017, 12:49 PM
I think he has Dave Clawson type potential. If I were him I'd wait to see if a quality MVFC or CAA gig came available this year. If not, put in another year at Valpo and prove 2017 was no fluke then make a certain jump.

I agree with Neighbor. His sights are likely set higher than Lehigh and PL football at this point.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 2nd, 2017, 09:04 PM
I'd certainly like to see Cecchini back at Lehigh. Problem is, he probably has more lofty goals than just winning a Patriot League Championship. All the evidence I've seen so far indicates the 'Holy Grail' of Patriot League football is merely winning its own tiny championship standings. Not very appealing to many enthusiastic and ambitious coaching or player recruits.

Because nobody wants to coach at Yale, Harvard, and of course nobody wants to coach or play at Harvard, Yale or Princeton because it's "not very appealing to many enthusiastic and ambitious coaching or player recruits".... do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound

Neighbor2
December 3rd, 2017, 06:15 AM
Because nobody wants to coach at Yale, Harvard, and of course nobody wants to coach or play at Harvard, Yale or Princeton because it's "not very appealing to many enthusiastic and ambitious coaching or player recruits".... do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound

Please try to calm yourself. It's the holiday/playoff season! The term 'nobody' does not appear anywhere in my earlier comment.

PAllen
December 3rd, 2017, 07:07 AM

As much as we PL alums can tout our academic reputation, we're no H-Y-P.