PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Coach Eddie G. Robinson

MACHIAVELLI
February 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Watch a Picture/Musical Tribute to an ICON (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j89pM04IHDc)

A birthday tribute: Eddie Robinson's favorite wins
Legendary Grambling coach Eddie Robinson celebrates his 88th birthday today. Though the last few years have been marked by Robinson's struggles against Alzheimer's-like symptoms, his towering legacy -- in football and in life -- still resonates across the American landscape.

Often, the conversation comes back to the number 408, a career win total that remains a Division I record among college coaches. We talked with Coach Rob a few years ago about his favorites.

His top five included:

-- Grambling State’s first win against archrival Southern University in 1947.

-- His win over Florida A&M capped an undefeated 1955 season and gave Grambling the Black College Championship.

-- Grambling’s win against Oregon State in 1975, his first against a Division I opponent.

-- The big win against Temple in Tokyo that provided Grambling worldwide exposure and avenged a bitter loss the year before.

-- Beating quarterback Steve McNair’s high-powered Alcorn State team in 1994.

-- Added to the original list are a pair of historic footnotes - Robinson’s 400th win in 1995 - and his last victory, a 20-13 decision over Mississippi Valley State on Oct. 12, 1997.

When asked to compile his favorites, Robinson left off No. 324. The 27-7 win over Prairie View in 1985), the one that moved him past Paul “Bear” Bryant as the winningest coach in college football history, was too bittersweet.

The News Star (http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070213/SPORTS/70213004&GID=CX55twwZhFgVSmioK6yylV44XgJJuxCGjxbMjwunvE8%3D )

OL FU
February 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
:bow: :bow: :bow: xbdayx

3rd Coast Tiger
February 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM
A true ICON!!! :bow:

Panther88
February 13th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Happy b-day to the Living Legend. :thumbsup:

**link's not working MACH!**

Cleets
February 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I remember being a kid (and I'm 42) and watching a Grambling game on TV... I asked my dad "Who is that black guy on the sidelines" (from the mouths of babes, right...)

My dad laughed and told me the story... as we watched the game... Now here’s the funny part... the next year (8th grade I think) when I tried out for football I had a black coach ( I thought that was so cool) and I asked him after the first practice as we were walking off the field if he knew who Mr. Eddie Robinson was...

When he got up off the ground after laughing for about 10 minutes, he said (and I'll never forget this) he said "Son, we're going to get along just fine... You treat me like Eddie Robinson and I'll treat you like a football player" I told him... "That's a deal coach!"

That was 1978 (ish)

-
-

bobbythekidd
February 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Two questions.
1. What made him stay so long?

2. Why didn't someone pry him out of there?

Not smack, I just want to know.

GeauxColonels
February 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

nickderiso
February 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Two questions.
1. What made him stay so long?

2. Why didn't someone pry him out of there?

Not smack, I just want to know.

Robinson had other offers -- notably from the Los Angeles Rams in the late 1970s -- but his heart remained, and still remains, in Grambling.

GSU was his masterwork, and he never left it.

Coach Rob would often talk about having only one job and one wife over those many years. It was part of what made him a great American.

BgJag
February 14th, 2007, 07:08 AM

Coach Rob would often talk about having only one job and one wife over those many years. It was part of what made him a great American.

That quote is something I'll alway remember about Coach Rob.

CCU97
February 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM
What a great coach! Dedication to the program, school, and all the young men he helped mold into amazing citizens! If all coaches could be half of what he is and all schools treat their coaches half the way GSU did Coach Robinson I think football would be in a better place.

Umass74
February 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Best wishes to a great coach!:hurray:

Back in eighties there was talk of a UMass-Grambling game. Never worked out.

It would be great play a team with such a storied history. No offense to the other HBC's, but Grambling and FAMU are on my all-time wish list for a home and home series...

CSUBUCDAD
February 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Happy Birthday coach. A true legend of the game.

lizrdgizrd
February 14th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Happy birthday coach Robinson!!!!

MACHIAVELLI
February 14th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Eddie Robinson Special by Keith Jackson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_kvor-CO_g)

SU Jag
February 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Happy Birthday Coach!:thumbsup:

slostang
February 15th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Happy birthday to a great American and coaching legend.:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Tod
February 15th, 2007, 03:08 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

citdog
February 15th, 2007, 03:14 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow:

February 15th, 2007, 03:35 AM
dang I love coach rob!

MACHIAVELLI
February 15th, 2007, 08:58 PM
* An unprecedented 408 victories in 57 years as Grambling State University's head football coach
* Coached over 4,000 players, over 80 percent of whom received college degrees
* Recipient of five honorary degrees: Yale University, Grambling State University, Louisiana Tech University, Southern University, and Springfield College
* The Football Writers Association of America renamed its Coach of the Year Award the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award in 1997
* Induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, 1997
* First active coach to receive the Tuss McLaughry Award (American Football Coaches Association’s highest honor), 1996
* Induction into the Blue-Gray Football Classic Hall of Fame, 1995
* Recipient of the NAACP Image Award’s Jackie Robinson Sports Award, 1995
* Recipient of the Casey Award, 1995
* Recipient of the SWAC Coach of the Year Award, 1994
* Casey Award Winner, 1994
* Became the first African-American recipient of the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award, 1993
* Recipient of the National Football Foundation & College Football Hall of Fame Outstanding Contribution to Amateur Football Award, 1992
* Recipient of the Buffalo Soldier Award, 1992
* Induction into the Southwestern Athletic Conference Hall of Fame, 1992
* Recipient of the Francis J. "Reds" Bagnell Award presented by the Maxwell Club, 1991
* Induction into the National Association for Sports & Physical Education Hall of Fame, 1990
* Recipient of the Disney Pigskin Classic's Heritage Award, 1990
* Recipient of the Circle City Classic's Major Taylor Award, 1990
* Recipient of the Henry Frnka Award of Excellence, 1989
* Induction into the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, 1988
* Recipient of the B’nai B’rith International Molder of Champions Award, 1988
* Recipient of the Independence Bowl's Omar Bradley Spirit of Excellence Award, 1988
* Recipient of the Indiana Youthlink's Pathfinder Award, 1988
* Recipient of the National Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall of Fame Award, 1987
* Presented a Special Commendation by the NCAA for the most wins in college football history, 1986
* Recipient of the Gold Helmet Paul Bear Bryant Award, 1985
* Recipient of the Dallas All Sports Association's Distinguished Award, 1985
* Recipient of the United States Sports Academy's Academy Award, 1985
* Recipient of the Amos Alonzo Stagg Memorial Award, 1985
* Recipient of the Pat Roberson Award from the Sheridan Broadcasting Network, 1985
* Recipient of the National Boy Scouts of America Silver Buffalo Award, 1985
* South 13th Street in Baton Rouge, La., was renamed Eddie Robinson Senior Drive to honor Coach Robinson, 1985
* Served as head coach of the SWAC seniors in the inaugural Freedom Bowl All-Star Classic in Atlnta, Ga., 1984
* Recipient of the Whitney J. Young Memorial Award from the New York Urban League, 1983
* Inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, 1983
* Presented the Distinguished American Commendation Citation from the Walter Camp Foundation at Yale University, 1982
* Recipient of the Morris Frank Touchdown Award, 1982
* Recipient of the Liberty Bowl's American Service Award, 1982
* Inducted into the Pop Warner Hall of Fame, 1979
* Inducted into the Suger Bowl Hall of Fame, 1979
* Served as head coach of the East-West Shrine All-Star Game, 1977
* Served as president of the American Football Coaches Association, 1976
* Inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame, 1976
* Became the first U.S. college coach to take a team outside the continental United States to play in Japan, 1976
* Elected Vice President of the American Football Coaches Association, 1975
* Named to the Executive Committee of the National Athletic Directors Association, 1972
* Served as president of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, 1966-77
* Named by the Football Writers Association of America as The Coach Who Made the Biggest Contribution to College Football in the Past 25 Years, 1966

Eddie Robinson Museum (http://www.robinsonmuseum.com/index.htm)

GeauxColonels
February 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
* An unprecedented 408 victories in 57 years as Grambling State University's head football coach
* Coached over 4,000 players, over 80 percent of whom received college degrees
* Recipient of five honorary degrees: Yale University, Grambling State University, Louisiana Tech University, Southern University, and Springfield College
* The Football Writers Association of America renamed its Coach of the Year Award the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year Award in 1997
* Induction into the College Football Hall of Fame, 1997
* First active coach to receive the Tuss McLaughry Award (American Football Coaches Association’s highest honor), 1996
* Induction into the Blue-Gray Football Classic Hall of Fame, 1995
* Recipient of the NAACP Image Award’s Jackie Robinson Sports Award, 1995
* Recipient of the Casey Award, 1995
* Recipient of the SWAC Coach of the Year Award, 1994
* Casey Award Winner, 1994
* Became the first African-American recipient of the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award, 1993
* Recipient of the National Football Foundation & College Football Hall of Fame Outstanding Contribution to Amateur Football Award, 1992
* Recipient of the Buffalo Soldier Award, 1992
* Induction into the Southwestern Athletic Conference Hall of Fame, 1992
* Recipient of the Francis J. "Reds" Bagnell Award presented by the Maxwell Club, 1991
* Induction into the National Association for Sports & Physical Education Hall of Fame, 1990
* Recipient of the Disney Pigskin Classic's Heritage Award, 1990
* Recipient of the Circle City Classic's Major Taylor Award, 1990
* Recipient of the Henry Frnka Award of Excellence, 1989
* Induction into the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, 1988
* Recipient of the B’nai B’rith International Molder of Champions Award, 1988
* Recipient of the Independence Bowl's Omar Bradley Spirit of Excellence Award, 1988
* Recipient of the Indiana Youthlink's Pathfinder Award, 1988
* Recipient of the National Veterans of Foreign Wars Hall of Fame Award, 1987
* Presented a Special Commendation by the NCAA for the most wins in college football history, 1986
* Recipient of the Gold Helmet Paul Bear Bryant Award, 1985
* Recipient of the Dallas All Sports Association's Distinguished Award, 1985
* Recipient of the United States Sports Academy's Academy Award, 1985
* Recipient of the Amos Alonzo Stagg Memorial Award, 1985
* Recipient of the Pat Roberson Award from the Sheridan Broadcasting Network, 1985
* Recipient of the National Boy Scouts of America Silver Buffalo Award, 1985
* South 13th Street in Baton Rouge, La., was renamed Eddie Robinson Senior Drive to honor Coach Robinson, 1985
* Served as head coach of the SWAC seniors in the inaugural Freedom Bowl All-Star Classic in Atlnta, Ga., 1984
* Recipient of the Whitney J. Young Memorial Award from the New York Urban League, 1983
* Inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, 1983
* Presented the Distinguished American Commendation Citation from the Walter Camp Foundation at Yale University, 1982
* Recipient of the Morris Frank Touchdown Award, 1982
* Recipient of the Liberty Bowl's American Service Award, 1982
* Inducted into the Pop Warner Hall of Fame, 1979
* Inducted into the Suger Bowl Hall of Fame, 1979
* Served as head coach of the East-West Shrine All-Star Game, 1977
* Served as president of the American Football Coaches Association, 1976
* Inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame, 1976
* Became the first U.S. college coach to take a team outside the continental United States to play in Japan, 1976
* Elected Vice President of the American Football Coaches Association, 1975
* Named to the Executive Committee of the National Athletic Directors Association, 1972
* Served as president of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics, 1966-77
* Named by the Football Writers Association of America as The Coach Who Made the Biggest Contribution to College Football in the Past 25 Years, 1966

Eddie Robinson Museum (http://www.robinsonmuseum.com/index.htm)
He is TRULY and ICON!

HIU 93
February 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM
In the words of Coach John Thompson "Simply, the best ever." Happy Birthday, Coach Rob.

MACHIAVELLI
February 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Robinson's impact felt both on and off the field
By Peter Finney Jr.
Special to NBCSports.com

GRAMBLING, La. -- Two blocks from Eddie Robinson Stadium, the man who did more to break down racial barriers in professional football than any other -- the spiritual father of Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith -- rests peacefully in his Adams Street home, cared for by his wife of 65 years.

Doris Robinson is 88 -- the same age as her husband Eddie -- and theirs has been a magical journey that extends far beyond his 408 victories from 1941-97 at Grambling State University and the steady stream of African-American talent he nurtured into future NFL stars.

"It was a great journey, and I wouldn't change anything in it," Doris said. "A great, great journey."

Just as Eddie cared for every player he helped get a college degree, Doris now cares for the man who swept away her heart as a teenager at McKinley High School in Baton Rouge.

"I had never seen anyone that handsome," Doris said, laughing. "He was captain of the football team. He was great with all the players. And he could do all the things Cab Calloway could do in those films. Oh, my goodness, he was a good dancer."

Eddie didn't watch Super Bowl XLI this year -- the historic meeting between two African-American head coaches -- because he suffers from Alzheimer's disease and doesn't watch much TV. But Doris said her husband would have been as proud of Dungy and Smith as he was of Doug Williams, his Grambling star who became the first black quarterback to start in the Super Bowl, winning the MVP of Super Bowl XXII in January 1988 by igniting a 35-point second quarter in the Redskins' 42-10 victory over Denver.

Robinson's impact felt both on and off the field (http://www.nbcsports.com/cfb/1083979/detail.html)

MACHIAVELLI
February 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Robinson's impact felt both on and off the field
By Peter Finney Jr.
Special to NBCSports.com

GRAMBLING, La. -- Two blocks from Eddie Robinson Stadium, the man who did more to break down racial barriers in professional football than any other -- the spiritual father of Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith -- rests peacefully in his Adams Street home, cared for by his wife of 65 years.

Doris Robinson is 88 -- the same age as her husband Eddie -- and theirs has been a magical journey that extends far beyond his 408 victories from 1941-97 at Grambling State University and the steady stream of African-American talent he nurtured into future NFL stars.

"It was a great journey, and I wouldn't change anything in it," Doris said. "A great, great journey."

Just as Eddie cared for every player he helped get a college degree, Doris now cares for the man who swept away her heart as a teenager at McKinley High School in Baton Rouge.

"I had never seen anyone that handsome," Doris said, laughing. "He was captain of the football team. He was great with all the players. And he could do all the things Cab Calloway could do in those films. Oh, my goodness, he was a good dancer."

Eddie didn't watch Super Bowl XLI this year -- the historic meeting between two African-American head coaches -- because he suffers from Alzheimer's disease and doesn't watch much TV. But Doris said her husband would have been as proud of Dungy and Smith as he was of Doug Williams, his Grambling star who became the first black quarterback to start in the Super Bowl, winning the MVP of Super Bowl XXII in January 1988 by igniting a 35-point second quarter in the Redskins' 42-10 victory over Denver.

Robinson's impact felt both on and off the field (http://www.nbcsports.com/cfb/1083979/detail.html)

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Coach Rob on Good Morning America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVw83sLpOU)