PDA

View Full Version : OOC Scheduling

jsugamecockfan
November 27th, 2017, 03:15 AM
Let's take a look at what you would consider a good, legitimate OOC schedule for some of the schools who play in a weaker conference. Also I would like your opinions on games that are really possible (travel distance, things of that such). Lets say we get 3 OOC games a year what would you consider to be a good schedule for next year.

th0m
November 27th, 2017, 04:08 AM
For a team like JSU I'd say, FBS team of choice, then Mercer and Kennesaw are quality regional opponents. Swapping Mercer with Samford or Furman/Wofford would be better ofc. So would be getting a beatable Sun Belt/Cusa FBS team like either of the GSU's, UAB, or the LA schools.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 27th, 2017, 04:12 AM
There are definitely formulas to scheduling, but it also takes a solid AD to work with the coach on making winnable, but respectable schedules.

For those in weaker conferences, there is a difference between a "good, legitimate" OOC and that which will give you the best shot at making the playoffs.

A) Good, legitimate = 1 OOC FBS game, ideally a P5 school with a big payday - $$ is required for FCS as much as FBS and keeping up with the Jones' will never end; 1 OOC game with a school from a similar level conference. Winning will help raise your conference's perception (even if it were a weak school in that conference); 1 OOC game with either MVFC or CAA since those two conferences are playing a bit above the rest right now in terms of metrics. Since you are a JSU fan, I would suggest a SEC team, a Southland or Big South team, and a southern CAA team (e.g., Elon or a team from Virginia).

B) Playoff schedule (assuming no more than 1 loss in OVC) = 1 OOC vs. SWAC team; 1 OOC vs. Southland or Big South; and a southern CAA team. Max out your wins for highest chance at making it as an at-large in case you cannot win the conference outright. See Monmouth as an somewhat comparable example. Big South has fewer teams, so Monmouth (a school in the Northeast US) schedules PL teams OOC (all wins) + 1 MEAC (Hampton, a win) + 1 CAA (Albany, a loss).

Overall, playoffs require a good record before a strong SOS, so get that first part down. If I am a fan or a an AD, I want the playoffs before getting marginal respect for playing tough opponents, including FBS. In the playoffs, you can REALLY earn respect. My two cents.

jsugamecockfan
November 27th, 2017, 04:22 AM
There are definitely formulas to scheduling, but it also takes a solid AD to work with the coach on making winnable, but respectable schedules.

For those in weaker conferences, there is a difference between a "good, legitimate" OOC and that which will give you the best shot at making the playoffs.

A) Good, legitimate = 1 OOC FBS game, ideally a P5 school with a big payday - $$ is required for FCS as much as FBS and keeping up with the Jones' will never end; 1 OOC game with a school from a similar level conference. Winning will help raise your conference's perception (even if it were a weak school in that conference); 1 OOC game with either MVFC or CAA since those two conferences are playing a bit above the rest right now in terms of metrics. Since you are a JSU fan, I would suggest a SEC team, a Southland or Big South team, and a southern CAA team (e.g., Elon or a team from Virginia).

B) Playoff schedule (assuming no more than 1 loss in OVC) = 1 OOC vs. SWAC team; 1 OOC vs. Southland or Big South; and a southern CAA team. Max out your wins for highest chance at making it as an at-large in case you cannot win the conference outright. See Monmouth as an somewhat comparable example. Big South has fewer teams, so Monmouth (a school in the Northeast US) schedules PL teams OOC (all wins) + 1 MEAC (Hampton, a win) + 1 CAA (Albany, a loss).

Overall, playoffs require a good record before a strong SOS, so get that first part down. If I am a fan or a an AD, I want the playoffs before getting marginal respect for playing tough opponents, including FBS. In the playoffs, you can REALLY earn respect. My two cents.
The problem is getting the teams to actually play us. In the past we have scheduled better teams in the SOCON and they have backed out and then getting the teams in the Big South to play us has been pretty hard. Our problem is just getting people to agree to play us, the one team we can usually get a game with and they are usually decent is UTC and just so happened this year they just dropped off the face of the earth and we could not have known that when we made the schedule same with Liberty this season.

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2017, 04:52 AM
I think Furman typically produces a tough quality schedule nearly every year.

Some of that is probably proximity. There are, I think, 9 D1 football schools just in South Carolina. Furman has never had an issue getting on the schedule of major P5 universities and even some that aren’t regional (Va Tech, Michigan State, LSU).

For a long time, Furman was able to play a top flight FCS OOC opponent because Coastal showed up on the schedule a bunch. That was a close game for both teams.

I understand next season that Furman will open with Clemson, Elon, and Colgate. Those are three pretty solid matchups right out of the gate. I have no idea how or why Furman started scheduling Colgate, but this will be the fourth game in the last 7 or 8 years.

Long story short, a P5 FBS school, quality (and hopefully ranked FCS team), and a middle tier FCS program, or, if you are pretty confident in the playoff chances, a D2 school.

Cocky
November 27th, 2017, 07:07 AM
For a team like JSU I'd say, FBS team of choice, then Mercer and Kennesaw are quality regional opponents. Swapping Mercer with Samford or Furman/Wofford would be better ofc. So would be getting a beatable Sun Belt/Cusa FBS team like either of the GSU's, UAB, or the LA schools.
We are playing Kennesaw next year. Cant speak for Mercer but the others havent been accepting to any offers to play.

Son of Eli
November 27th, 2017, 07:32 AM
For Yale I'd usually like to see two Patriot League games and one CAA game scheduled each year.

Patriot League teams I'd like to see scheduled in order of preference:

Lehigh
Holy Cross
Fordham
Colgate

CAA teams I'd like to see in order of preference:

Stony Brook
Albany
Villanova
William & Mary
Delaware
Richmond
New Hampshire
Maine

Geographical location, series history, academic reputation, media market, likely competitiveness of game and quality of game day atmosphere are the criteria I used.

For recruting purposes and alumni relations I'd like to see an occasional game ( once every 5-10 years) scheduled in California and Texas. These games in order of preference:

Sam Houston State
San Diego
Cal Poly
Cal Davis
Sacramento State

clenz
November 27th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Next year UNI plays

@ Iowa
@ Montana
v Southern Utah

That's a stupid OOC put in place by our previous AD. Horrendously stupid. As a MVFC team there is no reason to play a FBS and 2 top 25 caliber FCS teams in the same OOC.

UNI is also locked into Iowa or Iowa State through 2024 - that's a good thing. They pay UNI very well (600K+), it's great exposure for UNI within the state, tons of fans can get to the games, no travel costs needed as it's an hour thirty to both on a bus and I think that is built in to the payday - contrary to what some on this site will tell you it's not an hour to Kinnick.

What out OOC should look like is

FBS (Iowa or Iowa State 90% of the time. Occasional games like we've had with Wisconsin, BYU, Kansas State, Hawaii)
Home vs PFL or NEC school
H/H with someone like EIU, NoCo, SEMO

Hell, make that H/H buy game every third year. Make Drake a fixture. That's 2 hours away. Play a H/H/O rotation with them. It's a home game for UNI in Des Moines anyway.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Next year UNI plays

@ Iowa
@ Montana
v Southern Utah

That's a stupid OOC put in place by our previous AD. Horrendously stupid. As a MVFC team there is no reason to play a FBS and 2 top 25 caliber FCS teams in the same OOC.

UNI is also locked into Iowa or Iowa State through 2024 - that's a good thing. They pay UNI very well (600K+), it's great exposure for UNI within the state, tons of fans can get to the games, no travel costs needed as it's an hour thirty to both on a bus and I think that is built in to the payday - contrary to what some on this site will tell you it's not an hour to Kinnick.

FBS (Iowa or Iowa State 90% of the time. Occasional games like we've had with Wisconsin, BYU, Kansas State, Hawaii)

Hell, make that H/H buy game every third year. Make Drake a fixture. That's 2 hours away. Play a H/H/O rotation with them. It's a home game for UNI in Des Moines anyway.Montana apparently has developed into a cupcake but yea, that is a brutal OOC.

Colgate Raider Redux
November 27th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Here's an interesting twist: Holy Cross. Despite nursing 2-9, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 records with lesser competition over the past six years, H.C.'s new AD elected to go big time.

http://www.goholycross.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=917327&SPID=157213&DB_OEM_ID=33100&Q_SEASON=2018

2019 ( playing Navy and Syracuse in the same season )

http://www.goholycross.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=917327&SPID=157213&DB_OEM_ID=33100&Q_SEASON=2019

( For those of you unfamiliar with northeast football, these are substantial increases in the strength of opponents without a commensurate increase in Holy Cross's competitive position on the field. All in the name of "re-branding," Got to start somewhere, eh ?)

This year's results: 2017

http://www.goholycross.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=917327&SPID=157213&DB_OEM_ID=33100&Q_SEASON=2017

Is this the "Hail Mary" strategy ?

McNeese72
November 27th, 2017, 07:56 AM
McNeese has BYU and Northern Colorado as OOC games next season.

We were supposed to play Arkansas to start the season this past season but that got all F'd up. We went scrambling for a game. Don't which know which game was the replacement, Alcorn St or Florida Tech. But playing those and having to play Nicholls the first game because of the scramble, it ended up screwing up our whole season. :(

Doc

BEAR
November 27th, 2017, 08:06 AM
This is a tough angle for Southland schools.

We are forced to play 9 conference games. That leaves 2 OOC we could possibly play. Having said that we have to play one PAYDAY game and since we are in the south it usually involves playing an SEC team or Big Whatever or glorified FCS Sunbelch team. That leaves ONE OOC for the FCS for our team and those are usually scheduled a few years in advance. Fans of SLC teams do not like this 9 game schedule at all. The SLC usually has 2 or 3 teams that are considered strong in their conference which leaves many mediocre to horrible teams left to play. Not much chance for the conference to be thought of highly.

One OOC game a year in the FCS....just corners the good SLC teams into the weak conference stigma. But as fans we have no say in it. We just have to ride it out and hope our team runs the table in conference and does well against OOC and FBS.

bonarae
November 27th, 2017, 08:08 AM
As for Harvard... I'm afraid all of these wishes may not be granted at all until Murphy retires and Scalise retires... xcoffeex

W&M (not played since Murphy took over, last game was back in '93) - W&M has won the last 4 games, though.
UMass (ditto W&M, but last game was before I was born, back in '88, when UMass was still a I-AA power and the Crimson were struggling) - good money game that makes sense in the MA football scene.
BC (no game since WWII ended! xeekx) deserving of a revival football-wise
HC (not sure of Harvard's future schedule status with the Crusaders; I believe the new AD is scratching us off their list for now.)

Any game with a scholarship FCS south of the Potomac and west of the Alleghenies is fine with me already. Top priority:
Grambling and Southern U
NC A&T
any MVFC team (The Ivies have never played any MVFC team ever, I think.)

Stony Brook's "make sense to me" matchup list:
Columbia
Wagner
Fordham
Sacred Heart
UConn
Yale

Anyway, Stony Brook is also deserving of a money game every year, and I'd like to keep it that way if I were AD.

I can't think of a list for Albany... :(

ETSU already has money games with Vandy and the Vols in future years. But I would like to see them also play UT Martin, Tennessee Tech, Tennessee State and Austin Peay (those FCS schools in the Central time portion of their state.)

Son of Eli
November 27th, 2017, 08:09 AM
Here's an interesting twist: Holy Cross. Despite nursing 2-9, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 records with lesser competition over the past six years, H.C.'s new AD elected to go big time.

http://www.goholycross.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=917327&SPID=157213&DB_OEM_ID=33100&Q_SEASON=2018

2019 ( playing Navy and Syracuse in the same season )

http://www.goholycross.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=917327&SPID=157213&DB_OEM_ID=33100&Q_SEASON=2019

( For those of you unfamiliar with northeast football, these are substantial increases in the strength of opponents without a commensurate increase in Holy Cross's competitive position on the field. All in the name of "re-branding," Got to start somewhere, eh ?)

Is this the "Hail Mary" strategy ?

I think Holy Cross put together terrific OOC schedules which balances historic Ivy rivals with historic FBS rivals. I would love to see Yale with FBS opponents like that. Frankly, I'm jealous.

clenz
November 27th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Montana apparently has developed into a cupcake but yea, that is a brutal OOC.
The game is still in Missoula and UNI is 0-6 all time vs Montana
It's sandwiched between Iowa and Southern Utah
The record at the end of the year doesn't dictate how tough that game will be for UNI

To some extent UNI's scheduling the last handful of years has been fun - playing the toughest OOC in the nation. It sucks for about 100 reasons.

UNI's OOC since 2010 (the first year our previous AD started scheduling)

'10:
vs Stephan F Austin (who finished 9-3 and ranked in the top 15)
@ Iowa State
@ South Dakota

'11:
@ Iowa State
@ Stephan F Austin
v Southern Utah - who was in the top 25 through most of the season and the UNI loss on November 12 ended their playoff hopes.

'12:
@ Wisconsin
@ Iowa
v Central State - D2 replacement for Savanah State buying out the UNI game in May 2012

13: Probably the best OOC we've had
@ Iowa State
v Drake
@ NoCo - H/A
v McNeese - who was #7 at time of game and 6 seed in the playoffs

14:
@ Iowa
@Hawaii - kicked off at 11:37 PM Central time
v NoCo
v Tennessee Tech

15:
@ Iowa State
v EWU - top 10 team
@ Cal Poly - kicked off at 9:30PM Central time

16:
@ Iowa State
v Montana
@ EWU - top 5 team

17:
@ Iowa State
v Cal Poly - injury crushed their season
@ Southern Utah - top 8 team

18:
@ Iowa
@ Montana
v Southern Utah

Enough of the horse ****. UNI is the only MVFC scheduling that way and it needs to stop.

It won't happen at this point but I'd heard rumors about a year ago UNI was looking to buy out the Montana return to balance the 18 schedule with a PFL home game. Given it's now a year later and nothing happened either that was false or it didn't happen.

It sounds as though our new AD is going to take a different schedule approach and work at getting 6 home games and a more conference appropriate schedule.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2017, 08:38 AM
I mean, if you have a secret recipe that would make either GSU answer our phone calls I'm sure we would get them on the schedule. Bill Clark is also smart enough to avoid us.

PaladinFan
November 27th, 2017, 08:52 AM
I mean, if you have a secret recipe that would make either GSU answer our phone calls I'm sure we would get them on the schedule. Bill Clark is also smart enough to avoid us.

I seriously doubt that most CUSA or SunBelt schools will play a JSU or SoCon school. For one, they probably cannot or will not pay the going rate that many P5 schools play. Second, the talent gap is pretty durn close from what I can see.

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I seriously doubt that most CUSA or SunBelt schools will play a JSU or SoCon school. For one, they probably cannot or will not pay the going rate that many P5 schools play. Second, the talent gap is pretty durn close from what I can see.
Hell, we have more talent than a lot of area G5 schools.

For example,

Point me to a G5 in the south with a 5 star running back and a 4 star backup running back.

Exactly.

We beat out G5's for our recruits with regularity.

POD Knows
November 27th, 2017, 09:10 AM
The game is still in Missoula and UNI is 0-6 all time vs Montana
It's sandwiched between Iowa and Southern Utah
The record at the end of the year doesn't dictate how tough that game will be for UNI

To some extent UNI's scheduling the last handful of years has been fun - playing the toughest OOC in the nation. It sucks for about 100 reasons.

UNI's OOC since 2010 (the first year our previous AD started scheduling)

'10:
vs Stephan F Austin (who finished 9-3 and ranked in the top 15)
@ Iowa State
@ South Dakota

'11:
@ Iowa State
@ Stephan F Austin
v Southern Utah - who was in the top 25 through most of the season and the UNI loss on November 12 ended their playoff hopes.

'12:
@ Wisconsin
@ Iowa
v Central State - D2 replacement for Savanah State buying out the UNI game in May 2012

13: Probably the best OOC we've had
@ Iowa State
v Drake
@ NoCo - H/A
v McNeese - who was #7 at time of game and 6 seed in the playoffs

14:
@ Iowa
@Hawaii - kicked off at 11:37 PM Central time
v NoCo
v Tennessee Tech

15:
@ Iowa State
v EWU - top 10 team
@ Cal Poly - kicked off at 9:30PM Central time

16:
@ Iowa State
v Montana
@ EWU - top 5 team

17:
@ Iowa State
v Cal Poly - injury crushed their season
@ Southern Utah - top 8 team

18:
@ Iowa
@ Montana
v Southern Utah

Enough of the horse ****. UNI is the only MVFC scheduling that way and it needs to stop.

It won't happen at this point but I'd heard rumors about a year ago UNI was looking to buy out the Montana return to balance the 18 schedule with a PFL home game. Given it's now a year later and nothing happened either that was false or it didn't happen.

It sounds as though our new AD is going to take a different schedule approach and work at getting 6 home games and a more conference appropriate schedule.My jab at Montana's demise was primarily a troll, they are a tough out in Missoula.

Gangtackle11
November 27th, 2017, 09:27 AM
We appear to have switched to a local strategy of 2 PL schools & an FBS.

Last year was the end of our 4 year run with former Big East schools: BC, Syracuse, UConn, & Pitt.

We have renewed our home & home with Lehigh & replaced Laffy with Bucknell the next 2 seasons.

I wouldnt mind the 4 former BE opponents and Temple every 5 seasons. I liked to play only 1 PL team & maybe add a SoCon opponent. Doubtful it will happen, but it’s wishful thinking.

ElCid
November 27th, 2017, 10:00 AM
We have pretty good OOC slate the next few years. Glad we have no Div II/III planned. Sure hope our CAA opponents and Chas So stay/are somewhat good.

Charleston Southern
@Towson
@Alabama

2019 - 12 game year
Towson
@Elon
Charleston Southern
@ GA Tech

Elon
Charleston Southern
@Clemson

Charleston Southern
@Coastal Carolina
TBD

@Clemson

@Old Miss

clenz
November 27th, 2017, 10:11 AM
You're still getting CCU at home in 2021? Really....hmm

ElCid
November 27th, 2017, 10:18 AM
You're still getting CCU at home in 2021? Really....hmm

No, forgot my @. Oops. They are expanding their stadium and would never agree to that. Damn, that means we have to look at that God awful field.

BEAR
November 27th, 2017, 10:23 AM
UCA's OOC

2018----@Tulsa, Murray State
2019----@ Hawaii and Western Kentucky (That's 2 FBS)
2020----@ Missouri, FCS?
2021----TBD Most likely Arkansas State, FCS?
2022-----@ Ole Miss, FCS?
2023-----@Oklahoma State, FCS?

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Very different scenario when you have to find 5 non-conference games like the NEC, Patriot, and Big South. Yes, lots of options, but many schools face challenges finding HOME games.

For CCSU, I want a FBS game and a quality mix of FCS schools, but I need to get at least 2 of home games. That is leading to an annual D-II home games :(

GoBlueHens83
November 27th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Recent OOC opponents for Delaware were:

Jacksonville
Lafayette
@ North Carolina

Delaware State
@ Lafayette
@ Wake Forest

Delaware State
@ Virginia Tech
Cornell

Lafayette
Cornell
@ North Dakota State

I personally think Delaware doesn't bring quality OOC opponents to The Tub, with the obvious exception being NDSU in 2019 and SDSU a few years back. A few teams I'd like to see visit Newark are:

Yale
Harvard
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Eastern Washington
Cal Poly
Furman (owes us a return game anyway)
Wofford
The Citadel
McNeese State
Sam Houston State

Replace the Delaware State game with an interesting opponent please, tired of watching the Hornets lose to Delaware. Would especially like to see UNI & SIU since we have playoff history with these teams before we started to suck.

ElCid
November 27th, 2017, 12:16 PM
The biggest issue for most teams is meshing schedules to get their home games. Nobody wants to get screwed playing only 5 home games (or less), but that is a must for many. It has to be like that unless you schedule down.

The other issue is travel. It costs some coin to fly across the country for a non-paycheck game. So regional opponents are a must for many.

Then there is the abstract factor. Teams want to play other teams for variety of reasons. Old rivalries, name recognition, recruiting, and of course how good the opponent is and the games impact on the playoff chances. These last couple years, I doubt that many good, mid-level teams wanted to schedule NDSU or JMU. What potential 7-4, 8-3 or 9-2 team wants to get a likely L and reduce their chances at the playoffs. A couple really good teams might like the challenge, but not all the bubble teams. Bad teams or teams expecting a down year.....sure why not. I am certain NDSU did not want RMU and MVS this year. Timing who you play and your chances of success is therefore a factor.

Add all these factors up, and it is harder than folks think to get many marquee games OOC each year.

furpal87
November 27th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Question briefly brought up earlier: what seasons are possible 12 game regular seasons?

ElCid
November 27th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Question briefly brought up earlier: what seasons are possible 12 game regular seasons?

19, 24, and 25.

furpal87
November 27th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Thanks

dewey
November 27th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Next year UNI plays

@ Iowa
@ Montana
v Southern Utah

Hell, make that H/H buy game every third year. Make Drake a fixture. That's 2 hours away. Play a H/H/O rotation with them. It's a home game for UNI in Des Moines anyway.

That is a brutal schedule Clenz. UNI and EWU (I am sure others) consistently play very difficult OOC games but if you play in a tough conference my question similar to what Clenz said is WHY. The difference between UNI, EWU (NDSU 2016 schedule only) and JSU is that the MVFC and the Big Sky are consistently the top 2 or 3 conferences in the country. The OVC is near the bottom so to make up for a weaker SOS from the OVC a tougher OOC would be needed.

For JSU they now have the name recognition to be seeded high based on their record not necessarily their SOS. If I were the JSU AD I would continue scheduling like they have been = 1 FBS game, 2 cupcake FCS OOC games because the name recognition is there with JSU.

I also support NDSU playing one good OOC or FBS game and 2 cupcakes due to the fact that the MVFC is a top tier conference. The 2016 schedule was brutal and did not allow for NDSU to build depth through the OOC games and ultimately hurt them in the playoffs when the depth was exposed.

Just my 2 cents.

Dewey

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2017, 01:30 PM
That is a brutal schedule Clenz. UNI and EWU (I am sure others) consistently play very difficult OOC games but if you play in a tough conference my question similar to what Clenz said is WHY. The difference between UNI, EWU (NDSU 2016 schedule only) and JSU is that the MVFC and the Big Sky are consistently the top 2 or 3 conferences in the country. The OVC is near the bottom so to make up for a weaker SOS from the OVC a tougher OOC would be needed.

For JSU they now have the name recognition to be seeded high based on their record not necessarily their SOS. If I were the JSU AD I would continue scheduling like they have been = 1 FBS game, 2 cupcake FCS OOC games because the name recognition is there with JSU.

I also support NDSU playing one good OOC or FBS game and 2 cupcakes due to the fact that the MVFC is a top tier conference. The 2016 schedule was brutal and did not allow for NDSU to build depth through the OOC games and ultimately hurt them in the playoffs when the depth was exposed.

Just my 2 cents.

Dewey
We haven't been scheduling cupcakes.

UTC was stomping the SoCon when we signed them and Liberty was coming off a playoff appearance. EWU is on our schedule, we had Coastal Carolina last year, and Furman backed out on us late and forced us to pick up MVSU.

UTC and Liberty sucking this season isn't because we signed cupcakes. They both went to hell after they were on our schedule.

dewey
November 27th, 2017, 01:36 PM
We haven't been scheduling cupcakes.

UTC was stomping the SoCon when we signed them and Liberty was coming off a playoff appearance. EWU is on our schedule, we had Coastal Carolina last year, and Furman backed out on us late and forced us to pick up MVSU.

UTC and Liberty sucking this season isn't because we signed cupcakes. They both went to hell after they were on our schedule.

Very true and you are correct.

Dewey

Reign of Terrier
November 27th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Wofford's scheduling usually sucks.

We haven't intentionally scheduled a quality OOC in 10 years. That isn't hyperbole. Heck, it may be an understatement (Coastal Carolina probably wasn't great when we scheduled them in 2006, and we stopped playing SC State in 2006 when they kept playing us competitively).

One year in the last five we played two D2/NAIA teams. Why? Because Pioneer Jacksonville dropped our game. So basically, we scheduled softly and had to schedule more softly.

I'm hoping our AD, Richard Johnson, being the chair of the playoff committee now understands how little margin of error for us he's giving. I used to think an 8-3 Wofford team, with 7 D1 wins is a lock, but after the craziness of this year, I don't think so.

Anyway, our OOC is never announced far into the future or readily available online. I know we're playing Wyoming next year and either Clemson or South Carolina in 2019/2020. We've played a big south opponent (either PC, Charleston Southern, or Gardner Webb) every year except 2016 for like the past decade plus. Even then, though, we never schedule aggressively. We haven't scheduled Charleston Southern since they were good and we never scheduled Coastal after they got good (and beat us) in 2006.

Wofford alums have this pretention about them where they would rather play teams they view as academic peers (like Lehigh and the Ivys), which is laughable because those schools are not in the same target market as students who go to Wofford and it does us literally no good.

If I were to guess, I'd say we'll probably play Gardner Webb, because the **** going down at PC is just too much, though we probably have them on the schedule if not for 2018 than 2019. We'll probably also play a dumb NAIA opponent, but if we're lucky our AD will actually schedule harder, but I doubt it.

clenz
November 27th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Just my 2 cents.

Dewey

Our previous ad has a strong case of little name syndrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go...gate
November 27th, 2017, 02:42 PM
I think Holy Cross put together terrific OOC schedules which balances historic Ivy rivals with historic FBS rivals. I would love to see Yale with FBS opponents like that. Frankly, I'm jealous.

Agreed. I support Holy Cross 100%.

kalm
November 27th, 2017, 03:28 PM
If you're in a strong conference, schedule at least two FCS cupcakes if you want to make the playoffs. If you can schedule two teams from weak conferences who will finish with .500 records, even better.

dewey
November 27th, 2017, 04:44 PM
If you're in a strong conference, schedule at least two FCS cupcakes if you want to make the playoffs. If you can schedule two teams from weak conferences who will finish with .500 records, even better.

I agree with this. A brutal OOC schedule and conference schedule allows you little room to build depth. Had EWU had a cupcake instead of NDSU they would have made the playoffs. When you play in a strong conference and have name recognition play a lighter OOC schedule but if you play in a weak conference then your OOC had better be stronger to even make up some ground on the weak conference schedule.

Of course these cupcakes games aren't nearly as much fun to watch so it is a balancing act.

Dewey

GoBlueHens83
November 27th, 2017, 04:52 PM
I agree with this. A brutal OOC schedule and conference schedule allows you little room to build depth. Had EWU had a cupcake instead of NDSU they would have made the playoffs. When you play in a strong conference and have name recognition play a lighter OOC schedule but if you play in a weak conference then your OOC had better be stronger to even make up some ground on the weak conference schedule.

Of course these cupcakes games aren't nearly as much fun to watch so it is a balancing act.

Dewey

I agree with you here, but I would rather bring in a good team and have a game to get excited about. Just look at Delaware's home schedule next year:

Rhode Island
Lafayette
Cornell
Elon
Towson
Villanova

There isn't a whole lot there to get excited about. We also miss JMU and W&M, so it's a good thing we have the game with NDSU to look forward to.

clenz
November 27th, 2017, 04:52 PM

Dewey
What's the difference between UNI and SDSU this year?

UNI played an FBS and a top 10 team OOC finished 7-4 (6-2), not ranked in the STATS or coaches poll and many AGS voters not voting for them.
SDSU played Duquense, Montana State and Drake. Finished 9-2 (6-2) and ranked in the top 8 and is seeded.

UNI beat SDSU by 20.
What UNI did in the OOC is arguably better "eye test" material

SDSU now gets to host UNI for the second time in 2 months because of the OOC schedule.

You put what UNI did in conference, 6-2 and second place finish, with a 3-0 OOC slate of Cal Poly, Drake and say SEMO with where UNI started the season and it's a top 4 seed.

Would that UNI team be better than it is now? Probably not. Doesn't matter. Perception is reality.

Zero damn reason for an MVFC team, as of right now, to pull what UNI's old AD has us doing.

kalm
November 27th, 2017, 05:55 PM
What's the difference between UNI and SDSU this year?

UNI played an FBS and a top 10 team OOC finished 7-4 (6-2), not ranked in the STATS or coaches poll and many AGS voters not voting for them.
SDSU played Duquense, Montana State and Drake. Finished 9-2 (6-2) and ranked in the top 8 and is seeded.

UNI beat SDSU by 20.
What UNI did in the OOC is arguably better "eye test" material

SDSU now gets to host UNI for the second time in 2 months because of the OOC schedule.

You put what UNI did in conference, 6-2 and second place finish, with a 3-0 OOC slate of Cal Poly, Drake and say SEMO with where UNI started the season and it's a top 4 seed.

Would that UNI team be better than it is now? Probably not. Doesn't matter. Perception is reality.

Zero damn reason for an MVFC team, as of right now, to pull what UNI's old AD has us doing.

Yep.

And I'll beat the dead SUU horse again and point out that a top 10 schedule with wins over 3 playoff teams and a 7-4 EWU lands you a 8 seed.

jsugamecockfan
November 27th, 2017, 10:21 PM
I just hope JSU can get a quality opponent in the FCS Kickoff Classic this upcoming season. We still do not have an official word on who we will be playing in that game. Also playing a Home and Home with EWU in the next few seasons will do a lot to help us with the SOS.

dewey
November 27th, 2017, 10:28 PM
I just hope JSU can get a quality opponent in the FCS Kickoff Classic this upcoming season. We still do not have an official word on who we will be playing in that game. Also playing a Home and Home with EWU in the next few seasons will do a lot to help us with the SOS.

Playing a good OOC can only do so much for your SOS now matter how great the OOC SOS is considering that the JSU schedule is ~27% OOC and ~73% OVC. JSU should be trying to get the OVC better as that will have the biggest impact on JSU's SOS compared to what JSU is already doing.

Dewey

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Playing a good OOC can only do so much for your SOS now matter how great the OOC SOS is considering that the JSU schedule is ~27% OOC and ~73% OVC. JSU should be trying to get the OVC better as that will have the biggest impact on JSU's SOS compared to what JSU is already doing.

Dewey
Well, APSU stepping their game up has helped.

UTM and EIU are on the cusp of being good teams.

If those three can step it up another notch, with our OOC, our SOS shouldn't be as big a deal moving forward.

jsugamecockfan
November 27th, 2017, 10:34 PM
JSU can not do anything to make the rest of the OVC better. The OVC as a whole conference really does not seem to care as much about football as JSU does. They focus on basketball mostly. If the other schools would commit more to the football program the OVC could be a decent conference. Just look at the history of some of the schools. Eastern Kentucky has a vast history of success in football and EIU has been good in the past. I just believe that the OVC is just not a football conference.

dewey
November 27th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Well, APSU stepping their game up has helped.

UTM and EIU are on the cusp of being good teams.

If those three can step it up another notch, with our OOC, our SOS shouldn't be as big a deal moving forward.

The biggest thing that would help is other OVC teams to start winning meaningful OOC games against other top conference teams.

Austin Peay's only wins were in conference. Yes they played 4 FBS teams.

Eastern Illinois had 1 OOC win (Indiana State 22-20 over a ISU team that went 0-11, got boat raced by Illinois State and lost to FBS Illinois).

UTM had wins over Clarion (who?---exactly, lost to FBS Ole Miss and beat UTC - typically a good win but not this year).

Dewey

dustinthorn93
November 27th, 2017, 10:39 PM
In 2018 I believe WIU has
@ Montana State
@ Illinois
vs Montana
Lawson does that look right?

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2017, 10:42 PM
The biggest thing that would help is other OVC teams to start winning meaningful OOC games against other top conference teams.

Austin Peay's only wins were in conference. Yes they played 4 FBS teams.

Eastern Illinois had 1 OOC win (Indiana State 22-20 over a ISU team that went 0-11, got boat raced by Illinois State and lost to FBS Illinois State).

UTM had wins over Clarion (who?---exactly, lost to FBS Ole Miss and beat UTC - typically a good win but not this year).

Dewey

There are two Illinois States?

dewey
November 27th, 2017, 10:43 PM
In 2018 I believe WIU has
@ Montana State
@ Illinois
vs Montana
Lawson does that look right?

Montana State Champs?

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dewey
November 27th, 2017, 10:43 PM
There are two Illinois States?Whoops. FBS game was Illinois.

Dewey

JSUSoutherner
November 27th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Whoops. FBS game is Illinois.

Dewey

I know who they beat. I'm just giving you a hard time.

I agree with your point though.

Go...gate
November 28th, 2017, 04:24 AM
Recent OOC opponents for Delaware were:

Jacksonville
Lafayette
@ North Carolina

Delaware State
@ Lafayette
@ Wake Forest

Delaware State
@ Virginia Tech
Cornell

Lafayette
Cornell
@ North Dakota State

I personally think Delaware doesn't bring quality OOC opponents to The Tub, with the obvious exception being NDSU in 2019 and SDSU a few years back. A few teams I'd like to see visit Newark are:

Yale
Harvard
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Eastern Washington
Cal Poly
Furman (owes us a return game anyway)
Wofford
The Citadel
McNeese State
Sam Houston State

Replace the Delaware State game with an interesting opponent please, tired of watching the Hornets lose to Delaware. Would especially like to see UNI & SIU since we have playoff history with these teams before we started to suck.

How about Colgate?

GoBlueHens83
November 28th, 2017, 03:38 PM
How about Colgate?

Absolutely. Forgot all about Colgate, would love to see them in Newark. Lehigh too.

jsualumnus
November 28th, 2017, 05:07 PM
If Seitz, JSU AD, could get us a home and home with MVFC and CAA teams for the next few years, add in a Mercer and keep the utc thing alive, and then get an SEC/ACC game then our OOC games could help the SOS. Austin Peay was pretty dang good this year, and each FBS team they played even commented how tough they actually were. As said before, we need the likes of UTM, EIU, And EKU to step up their game.

grizband
November 28th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Next year UNI plays

@ Iowa
@ Montana
v Southern Utah

Hell, make that H/H buy game every third year. Make Drake a fixture. That's 2 hours away. Play a H/H/O rotation with them. It's a home game for UNI in Des Moines anyway.Montana is probably the cupcake in that scenario; our OOC is tough but not, but not that bad. 2018 , Montana plays Northern Iowa, Wagner, Western Illinois.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

walliver
November 28th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Wofford's scheduling usually sucks.

We haven't intentionally scheduled a quality OOC in 10 years. That isn't hyperbole. Heck, it may be an understatement (Coastal Carolina probably wasn't great when we scheduled them in 2006, and we stopped playing SC State in 2006 when they kept playing us competitively).

One year in the last five we played two D2/NAIA teams. Why? Because Pioneer Jacksonville dropped our game. So basically, we scheduled softly and had to schedule more softly.

I'm hoping our AD, Richard Johnson, being the chair of the playoff committee now understands how little margin of error for us he's giving. I used to think an 8-3 Wofford team, with 7 D1 wins is a lock, but after the craziness of this year, I don't think so.

Anyway, our OOC is never announced far into the future or readily available online. I know we're playing Wyoming next year and either Clemson or South Carolina in 2019/2020. We've played a big south opponent (either PC, Charleston Southern, or Gardner Webb) every year except 2016 for like the past decade plus. Even then, though, we never schedule aggressively. We haven't scheduled Charleston Southern since they were good and we never scheduled Coastal after they got good (and beat us) in 2006.

Wofford alums have this pretention about them where they would rather play teams they view as academic peers (like Lehigh and the Ivys), which is laughable because those schools are not in the same target market as students who go to Wofford and it does us literally no good.

If I were to guess, I'd say we'll probably play Gardner Webb, because the **** going down at PC is just too much, though we probably have them on the schedule if not for 2018 than 2019. We'll probably also play a dumb NAIA opponent, but if we're lucky our AD will actually schedule harder, but I doubt it.

The schedule is rarely popular, but has been very successful. No good Wofford team has been left out of the playoffs due to our scheduling OOC (we don’t discuss 2002 - both the 2002 and 2004 teams would have made it into the expanded playoffs, however). It is better to beat a weak FCS than lose to a great FCS.

WCU, on the other hand,has for several years scheduled themselves out of the playoffs.

igo4uni
November 28th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Next year UNI plays

@ Iowa
@ Montana
v Southern Utah

3 easy wins

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2017, 09:24 AM
3 easy wins

For an OOC including a Big 10 team and two Big Sky teams, I think ours is probably easier.

@ Montana State (Sagarin #135)...vs SUU at #95
@ Illinois (Sagarin #125)...vs Iowa at #22
vs Montana (Sagarin #138)...vs Montana at Wash-Griz

We are currently at #65 ourselves....looks like another 3-0 OOC for us ;)

clenz
November 29th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Montana gets UNI and WIU at home in the same year.

I hate our old AD

ST_Lawson
November 29th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Montana gets UNI and WIU at home in the same year.

I hate our old AD

Montana is at WIU and hosts UNI in 2018. Unless you were talking about 2021, when we do play out in Missoula.

ccd494
November 29th, 2017, 12:26 PM
Maine is just screwing itself with its OOC.

Maine has been playing two FBS games per year since 2015, which makes the margin of error so small. The past few years when the third game was Bryant pretty much guaranteed 1-2 out of conference, meaning 6-2 in the CAA was a bare minimum to make the playoffs. 2018 is especially egregious with no home games, so just four all season. None in September.

2018: @Western Kentucky, @Central Michigan, @Yale
2017: Bryant, @UCF, UMass @ Fenway
2016: @UConn, @Toledo, Bryant
2015: @BC, @Tulane, Yale
2014: Norfolk State, @Bryant, @BC

I'd like to see one bigger time FBS school, a P5 team could probably come close to matching the paydays Maine gets from two MAC/Sun Belt/AAC/C-USA teams. Take that one loss and put together a home and home with a decent regional Ivy or PL team. I like the Yale series. I'd love to see any other Ivy, too. Stagger that series with the "traditional" games with Bryant and CCSU, maybe a home and home that runs opposite years with the Ivy/PL series.

Frankly, if Maine can't make a go of FCS football without two FBS games, Maine shouldn't be playing FCS football.

ASU33
November 29th, 2017, 01:03 PM
In 2018 so far we have:
vs. Tuskegee (Labor Day Classic)
@ Kennesaw State
@Auburn
The one date that hasn't been scheduled is the Turkey Day Classic

dgtw
November 29th, 2017, 01:34 PM
@ Kennesaw State

Come on over Saturday for a scouting opportunity.

ASU33
November 29th, 2017, 01:40 PM

Tuning in from ESPN 3. I was on the road heavy last weekend between Montgomery for the Turkey Day Classic and New Orleans for the Bayou Classic. This is my rest and watch football ALL DAY Saturday! lol

igo4uni
November 29th, 2017, 09:46 PM
This is my rest and watch football ALL DAY Saturday! lol

Just as God intended!!xnodx

jsugamecockfan
November 29th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Well I have not missed a JSU home game since 2005 but this week that is gonna have to change. My wife is due to give birth to our second child any day now. I do not think she would like me missing that to go to a football game.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Well I have not missed a JSU home game since 2005 but this week that is gonna have to change. My wife is due to give birth to our second child any day now. I do not think she would like me missing that to go to a football game.
As good a reason to miss as I've ever heard!

Congratulations!

Just be sure to keep that ESPN stream handy. xthumbsupx

clenz
November 29th, 2017, 10:40 PM

Should’ve planned better. No sex during December through March. Prevents that.

Or take the JSUSoutherner route and avoid sex 365

BisonFan02
November 29th, 2017, 10:42 PM
Should’ve planned better. No sex during December through March. Prevents that.

Or take the JSUSoutherner route and avoid sex 365

Troof. #gamer

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Troof. #gamer
Let's be fair here...

Destiny 2 is basically sex. xdrunkyx

clenz
November 29th, 2017, 10:57 PM
Let's be fair here...

Destiny 2 is basically sex. xdrunkyx

For a virgin, this is probably true.

JSUSoutherner
November 29th, 2017, 11:02 PM
For a virgin, this is probably true.

You're just jealous of my big PC. xnodx

ASU33
November 30th, 2017, 06:15 AM

Congratulations!

PantherRob82
November 30th, 2017, 07:24 AM

I feel you there. My wife is due Jan 9th and it took some negotiating to get her to agree with me heading to Brookings for our game this weekend. Going to be a suicide mission in and out.

fc97
November 30th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I agree with the Furman fans. There are son many FCS schools in SC/NC/GA that finding a good OOC schedule shouldn't be hard.

The problem is, scheduling the weaker conference teams looks bad for teams like Stony Brook or Elon that aren't household names for the playoffs.

Personally, the perfect yearly schedule for me would be:
1) NC A&T yearly - except their head coach hates playing us
2) If not A&T, do NC Central
3) a SoCon school or FBS
4) a Big South School

That gives a local matchup, a good regional matchup and a matchup against another regional conference. Plus gives the MEAC and Big South a quality OOC game.

So the problem there is. If Elon won vs MEAC and Big South and lost to an FBS school, the claim would be no quality wins if they had a descent CAA position. No a good place to be IMO.

ElCid
November 30th, 2017, 08:22 AM
I agree with the Furman fans. There are son many FCS schools in SC/NC/GA that finding a good OOC schedule shouldn't be hard.

The problem is, scheduling the weaker conference teams looks bad for teams like Stony Brook or Elon that aren't household names for the playoffs.

Personally, the perfect yearly schedule for me would be:
1) NC A&T yearly - except their head coach hates playing us
2) If not A&T, do NC Central
3) a SoCon school or FBS
4) a Big South School

That gives a local matchup, a good regional matchup and a matchup against another regional conference. Plus gives the MEAC and Big South a quality OOC game.

So the problem there is. If Elon won vs MEAC and Big South and lost to an FBS school, the claim would be no quality wins if they had a descent CAA position. No a good place to be IMO.

Why you would include GA in there I don't understand. There are exactly 2 FCS schools in GA (Mercer and Savannah St). SC or NC sure, they have like 6 or 7 each.

Ga So had the FCS niche in Ga for a long time, and now Mercer is stepping into that spot. Lots of good HS football being played in Ga. A recruiters dream. Mercer should never have an issue recruiting. But other than them it is an FCS wasteland.

fc97
November 30th, 2017, 08:55 AM
I don't know. I guess I was trying to say there are enough short drive schools locally that scheduling should never be a problem. Mercer and Kennesaw State are easy drives. Even Hampton/Howard/VMI are too. I guess where I am going is, TN/AL schools are just a pain to get to from central NC.

ElCid
November 30th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I don't know. I guess I was trying to say there are enough short drive schools locally that scheduling should never be a problem. Mercer and Kennesaw State are easy drives. Even Hampton/Howard/VMI are too. I guess where I am going is, TN/AL schools are just a pain to get to from central NC.

OK, I am an idiot, I totally forgot about Kennesaw St. They are just too new to be imprinted in my mind yet. They will also suck away recruits from Mercer and others in Alabama and SC/NC. OK, got it, they are all relatively close by. I85/95 take you right into NC.

ST_Lawson
November 30th, 2017, 10:05 AM

Congrats. I think you can be forgiven for missing a football game for something like that. This is your second though, so you're probably aware that sometimes labor can take a while and be a lot of sitting around waiting...bring a device that can get ESPN3 so you can watch the game, just be prepared to shut it off if it's "go time" or she otherwise needs your full attention...even if JSU is down by 2 with a minute left in the 4th quarter and they're driving down the field. Just remember...your football team will forgive you...your wife might not.

cx500d
November 30th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Why you would include GA in there I don't understand. There are exactly 2 FCS schools in GA (Mercer and Savannah St). SC or NC sure, they have like 6 or 7 each.

Ga So had the FCS niche in Ga for a long time, and now Mercer is stepping into that spot. Lots of good HS football being played in Ga. A recruiters dream. Mercer should never have an issue recruiting. But other than them it is an FCS wasteland.

Where's Kennesaw St. from?

BucBisonAtLarge
November 30th, 2017, 11:00 PM
Cornell
Penn or FBS (Army, Navy, Temple...)
CAA x 2
NEC

I wouldn't miss Marist.

The Bison have both W&M and Villanova in 2018. If we have returns with Sacred Heart and Monmouth, and the usual pairing with Cornell, we'd be getting close.

Outsider1
December 1st, 2017, 03:41 AM
ACU has been doing two FBS schools for the payout, but that won't be continuing. I would like us to play more FCS schools so the SLC can play other conferences outside the playoffs. The trouble for ACU is getting someone to come play in Abilene. We would love to get a home and away thing going. Other than a couple of SWAC schools, there aren't many near enough. I thought about NAU. We still have some good FBS games scheduled, but don't want to end up with another DII game like we had to do next year with Angelo State.... At least with schools like SHSU, SFA, HBU and UIW... they are closer to some other schools to the southeast. We are at least 2-3 hours from any metroplex and 6 hours west of any of the other SLC schools, except UIW. But then again, the SLC aren't worth playing, might as well schedule DII games.

JayMYou
December 1st, 2017, 12:21 PM
There isn't a whole lot there to get excited about. We also miss JMU and W&M, so it's a good thing we have the game with NDSU to look forward to.

Yeah, I'm really frustrated that Delaware and Nova aren't part of our annual cycle. The way things stand now, we'll only have the 2 of you on our schedule in the same season half of the time (something like 6 out of every 12 years). So much for rivalries.

GoBlueHens83
December 1st, 2017, 12:25 PM
Yeah, I'm really frustrated that Delaware and Nova aren't part of our annual cycle. The way things stand now, we'll only have the 2 of you on our schedule in the same season half of the time (something like 6 out of every 12 years). So much for rivalries.

Yeah I want JMU, Richmond & W&M on the schedule every year TBH.

bostonspider
December 1st, 2017, 01:15 PM
So I briefly chatted with our (Richmond's) President last night, and one thing I found interesting is that UR is looking into the possibility that sometime in the future we might not be in the CAA. I gathered the consensus there is that JMU will eventually find a way to move up to FBS, and UR will work with VU and especially W&M on whatever our football future might be. But I am not sure a steady diet of Stony Brook, Albany, NH, Towson and URI is what our future will include. I have a feeling that UR thinks that UD is also looking to jump with JMU if they can. A CAA without UD and JMU might not be so appealing to Richmond.

kdinva
December 1st, 2017, 01:27 PM
So I briefly chatted with our (Richmond's) President last night, and one thing I found interesting is that UR is looking into the possibility that sometime in the future we might not be in the CAA.....

That would mean SoCon or Patriot (Assoc. membership).......right?

Reign of Terrier
December 1st, 2017, 01:36 PM
So I briefly chatted with our (Richmond's) President last night, and one thing I found interesting is that UR is looking into the possibility that sometime in the future we might not be in the CAA. I gathered the consensus there is that JMU will eventually find a way to move up to FBS, and UR will work with VU and especially W&M on whatever our football future might be. But I am not sure a steady diet of Stony Brook, Albany, NH, Towson and URI is what our future will include. I have a feeling that UR thinks that UD is also looking to jump with JMU if they can. A CAA without UD and JMU might not be so appealing to Richmond.

Add Richmond, W&M and Kennesaw to the Socon would be cool

bostonspider
December 1st, 2017, 01:41 PM
I would assume it would be either SC or PL football membership. Not really any other options out there. And UR is pretty happy with the A10, unless the Big East came calling, and we all know that isn't happening..

Lion1983
December 1st, 2017, 01:57 PM
Richmond to the A-Sun with football in the Big South........

kdinva
December 1st, 2017, 02:07 PM

xslapfightx

BucBisonAtLarge
December 1st, 2017, 04:35 PM

Yeah? No. Richmond is in the A-10 for most things. It isn't paradise but it isn't the A-Sun, either.

The opportunity to bring Richmond and Nova into the PL might be a strong enough incentive to loosen the academic and redshirt restrictions that folks seem so worried about. They would parallel conference peers Fordham (A-10) and Georgetown (Big East) in placing their football programs in the Patriot League. W&M is a full CAA member and might have some other math to do. Georgetown? This might hasten their exit, as they aren't interested in the resource race and have less (well, nothing) invested in the PL brand.

JSUSoutherner
December 1st, 2017, 04:59 PM

Maybe if they lose their mind.

Seawolf97
December 1st, 2017, 07:10 PM
I would like to see SBU schedule the Ivies more. Yale, Harvard Penn would be good games. maybe add some So Con teams to the mix and maybe get a Big Sky opponent to come east. In 2018 we start a four year home and away with Fordham which is great . The schools are less than 50 miles apart and this hopefully will draw the interest of the NYC media to report these games. Our FBS schedule has us at Air Force, Utah State and Oregon in 2021. I understand the Oregon game is nearly a million dollar payout . 2020 is still open for an FBS team so we shall see who we get . But I would like to see us mix it up with other conferences and add some flavor to schedule.

fc97
December 1st, 2017, 07:51 PM
So I briefly chatted with our (Richmond's) President last night, and one thing I found interesting is that UR is looking into the possibility that sometime in the future we might not be in the CAA. I gathered the consensus there is that JMU will eventually find a way to move up to FBS, and UR will work with VU and especially W&M on whatever our football future might be. But I am not sure a steady diet of Stony Brook, Albany, NH, Towson and URI is what our future will include. I have a feeling that UR thinks that UD is also looking to jump with JMU if they can. A CAA without UD and JMU might not be so appealing to Richmond. I've heard something very similar of Elon, W&M, UR and Nova going Patriot for football only. But that Elon and W&M have no intention of leaving the CAA.

I've also heard that when Del and JMU leave, they already have the replacement schools lined up

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2017, 08:03 PM
Where's Kennesaw St. from?

I've heard something very similar of Elon, W&M, UR and Nova going Patriot for football only. But that Elon and W&M have no intention of leaving the CAA.

I've also heard that when Del and JMU leave, they already have the replacement schools lined up

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Hampton and Monmouth?

Go...gate
December 2nd, 2017, 11:33 PM
Congrats. I think you can be forgiven for missing a football game for something like that. This is your second though, so you're probably aware that sometimes labor can take a while and be a lot of sitting around waiting...bring a device that can get ESPN3 so you can watch the game, just be prepared to shut it off if it's "go time" or she otherwise needs your full attention...even if JSU is down by 2 with a minute left in the 4th quarter and they're driving down the field. Just remember...your football team will forgive you...your wife might not.

Sound advice! xnodx

PAllen
December 3rd, 2017, 07:17 AM

Beware. With my second, I went from "nothing is happening and it will be a long while" to "He's here!" in 15 minutes.