PDA

View Full Version : MVFC West (Dakota) Division is coming

70MilesFromCanada
November 22nd, 2017, 02:43 PM
All four Dakota schools will play each other annually starting in 2020.
(Not sure why the hockey reporter, Schlossman, reported this. The regular football reporter,Tom Miller, must be gone for Thanksgiving.)

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/4363844-und-play-ndsu-sodak-schools-annually-missouri-valley

CappinHard
November 22nd, 2017, 02:51 PM
An annual game against what will likely be an MVFC bottom dweller? Yes, please.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 02:52 PM
Oh great, 7-4 every year for everybody

70MilesFromCanada
November 22nd, 2017, 02:53 PM
USD? Actually it locks in 3 of 8 conference games no matter how good the teams are. 3 rivalry games (Nickel, Marker & whatever the SD schools fight over- corncob?). East MVFC teams are smiling.

mango433
November 22nd, 2017, 03:02 PM
USD? Actually it locks in 3 of 8 conference games no matter how good the teams are. 3 rivalry games (Nickel, Marker & whatever the SD schools fight over- corncob?). East MVFC teams are smiling.

Except UND is to scared to play for the Nickel but whatever.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 03:09 PM
So when Murray State joins it is the geo divisions. Great.

UNI
MSU
SDSU
NDSU
USD
UND

ISUR
ISUR
SIU
MUSU
YSU
WIU

That'll be grand.

70MilesFromCanada
November 22nd, 2017, 03:16 PM
Since we are so crappy, we'll have to call it the Penny. Of course our new AD (whomever that may be) could decide differently. Good 'ol boy' Prez Kennedy likes to make those type of decisions with lots of cover.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 03:20 PM

UNI
MSU
SDSU
NDSU
USD
UND

ISUR
ISUR
SIU
MUSU
YSU
WIU

That'll be grand.
I can't wait to see Murray finally be good at football.

Once they join the Valley their strength of schedule will turn them into gods! :D

CappinHard
November 22nd, 2017, 03:20 PM

UNI
MSU
SDSU
NDSU
USD
UND

ISUR
ISUR
SIU
MUSU
YSU
WIU

That'll be grand.

I agree... we should just clone Illinois State and kick Indiana State out.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 03:22 PM
This may bring around scheduling pods - 3 pods of 4

Play 3 games in your pod
Play 1 road and 1 home game vs one pod
Play 2 road and 1 home games vs other pod - 2 road and 2 h alternate based on your pod H/A set to balance 4 H/A

Rotate through the pods with a biannual rotation of which pod gets 3 and which gets 2 games.

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND

UNI
WIU
ISUR
YSU

SIU
ISUB
MUSU
MSU

That third pod is horribly unbalanced, but in an effort to maximize busing that would be the case.

Chances are that is going to create like 7 teams with 7 wins.

70MilesFromCanada
November 22nd, 2017, 03:25 PM
This may bring around scheduling pods - 3 pods of 4

Play 3 games in your pod
Play 1 road and 1 home game vs one pod
Play 2 road and 1 home games vs other pod - 2 road and 2 h alternate based on your pod H/A set to balance 4 H/A

Rotate through the pods with a biannual rotation of which pod gets 3 and which gets 2 games.

NDSU
SDSU
USD
UND

UNI
WIU
ISUR
YSU

SIU
ISUB
MUSU
MSU

That third pod is horribly unbalanced, but in an effort to maximize busing that would be the case.

Chances are that is going to create like 7 teams with 7 wins.

I like it! Seven teams into the playoffs. xbowx

Yote84
November 22nd, 2017, 03:29 PM
An annual game against what will likely be an MVFC bottom dweller? Yes, please.

This is a ridiculous statement. UND has a long history of being very good. Much better than USD and SDSU. To think they will be a bottom dweller in the MVFC all the time is a stupid statement.

It will take time for them to get up to speed with the Valley no doubt about it. But don't get cocky because the prairie rats have made the playoffs 6 years and that somehow overrides a 100 years of UND's success.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 03:29 PM
I like it! Seven teams into the playoffs. xbowx
Make it so NDSU, SDSU, UNI, ISUr, YSU, and WIU play these six teams each year:

MSU
Murray
ISUb
SIU
USD
UND

Guarentees six teams in the playoffs every year. xthumbsupx

CappinHard
November 22nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
This is a ridiculous statement. UND has a long history of being very good. Much better than USD and SDSU. To think they will be a bottom dweller in the MVFC all the time is a stupid statement.

It will take time for them to get up to speed with the Valley no doubt about it. But don't get cocky because the prairie rats have made the playoffs 6 years and that somehow overrides a 100 years of UND's success.

First off... it was trash talk, so take it easy. Second... their history has no bearing on how good they'll be in the MVFC. Having said that, I obviously have no idea how they'll do and it was just a jab.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 04:10 PM
Nickel, Marker & whatever the SD schools fight over- 2nd cousin?). East MVFC teams are smiling.

FYP

70MilesFromCanada
November 22nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
cx500d - Hey flame me all you want, but don't post a quote that you edited and attribute it to me.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 04:16 PM
cx500d - Hey flame me all you want, but don't post a quote that you edited and attribute it to me.

What a ****ing snowflake....Is this your first visit here, dbag?

70MilesFromCanada
November 22nd, 2017, 04:18 PM
What a ****ing snowflake....Is this your first visit here, dbag?

I'll take all the hits for what I actually say. None for edited crap from you.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 04:19 PM
I'll take all the hits for what I actually say. Otherwise I'm a complete moron

FYP

CappinHard
November 22nd, 2017, 04:28 PM

xlolx He was throwing shade at USD and SDSU, ya donk. People understand that when someone says FYP, the quoted post has been changed. Well, I guess most people anyway.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 04:30 PM
xlolx He was throwing shade at USD and SDSU, ya donk. People understand that when someone says FYP, the quoted post has been changed. Well, I guess most people anyway.
His sig says a lot.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM
Why don't they just spare everyone and just call it the "MVFC Gauntlet Of Death Division"

70MilesFromCanada
November 22nd, 2017, 04:40 PM
His sig says a lot.

I said it, I own it. Can't deny it. xnodx

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 04:43 PM
FCS conferences such as the Big Sky, CAA, MVFC, maybe the Southland (based solely on how many teams they have) need to break apart into divisions and have a conference championship. It would really help certain team’s playoff chances and help the committee recognize at large contenders from pretenders.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 04:49 PM
FCS conferences such as the Big Sky, CAA, MVFC, maybe the Southland (based solely on how many teams they have) need to break apart into divisions and have a conference championship. It would really help certain team’s playoff chances and help the committee recognize at large contenders from pretenders.

Given how many teams make our playoffs it's not really nessecary. Unlike the FBS, none of our title contenders get left at home. We don't really need a conference championship game to find out who is that good.

katss07
November 22nd, 2017, 04:53 PM
Given how many teams make our playoffs it's not really nessecary. Unlike the FBS, none of our title contenders get left at home. We don't really need a conference championship game to find out who is that good.

True, but think about what a title game could have done for Eastern Washington or Delaware or McNeese this season. Also, you would have
to push back the dates of round one games, potentially improving round one attendance.

Laker
November 22nd, 2017, 05:26 PM
Restart football at UNO. Take UNC from the Big Sky. NCC Part II.

Schism55
November 22nd, 2017, 05:31 PM
Oooo Me likey!

igo4uni
November 22nd, 2017, 05:51 PM

How long has it been since UNO played football? Don't they prefer to be called Omaha University now??

jacksfan29
November 22nd, 2017, 06:25 PM

You have a point, it will likely take them time to get up to speed. Look at USD. Still haven't finished over .500 in league play. And how long has your crew been around now?

REALBird
November 22nd, 2017, 06:49 PM
How long before the Murray State invite? I’d have to think that only happens with an major expansion of the MVC Hoops conference and an invite to all the Dakota schools.

I used to be against it, but as more FBS conferences go to 20 games strengthening the conference on both fronts seems to be the best move.

Laker
November 22nd, 2017, 07:00 PM
How long has it been since UNO played football? Don't they prefer to be called Omaha University now??

I read an article about colleges in general that just want to be called by the city. Ft. Wayne, Green Bay, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Omaha come to mind. I'm sure that there are others that I could look up, but my pizza is almost ready.

They dropped football in March of 2011. Sad day for football and wrestling, who was returning from winning back to back D2 national championships. They even changed the locks on them so they had to wait once they got back home. Someone should have been repeatedly body slammed for that.

igo4uni
November 22nd, 2017, 07:34 PM
I read an article about colleges in general that just want to be called by the city. Ft. Wayne, Green Bay, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Omaha come to mind. I'm sure that there are others that I could look up, but my pizza is almost ready.

They dropped football in March of 2011. Sad day for football and wrestling, who was returning from winning back to back D2 national championships. They even changed the locks on them so they had to wait once they got back home. Someone should have been repeatedly body slammed for that.

I think Omaha wants to avoid confusion with Nebraska down the road in Lincoln.

Thundar
November 22nd, 2017, 07:42 PM
Divisional MVFC sucks

- - - Updated - - -

You mean UN-L wants nothing to do with UN-O

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 07:44 PM
UND will catch up to the rest of the Valley in a few years. They had more success at the D2 level than USD and SDSU combined and there is no reason to believe they will not be successful in the Valley in time.

mmiller_34
November 22nd, 2017, 08:08 PM
How long before the Murray State invite? I’d have to think that only happens with an major expansion of the MVC Hoops conference and an invite to all the Dakota schools.

I used to be against it, but as more FBS conferences go to 20 games strengthening the conference on both fronts seems to be the best move.

Yeah right. Bradley University wouldn't allow themselves to play the lowly Dakota schools.

Yet, all the Dakota schools would likely beat them by 20 if they ever met on the court.

TennBison
November 22nd, 2017, 08:16 PM
UND will catch up to the rest of the Valley in a few years. They had more success at the D2 level than USD and SDSU combined and there is no reason to believe they will not be successful in the Valley in time.
​Was that suppose to be in purple???

Laker
November 22nd, 2017, 08:17 PM

A while back UMD went to have Duluth on their uniforms. For some reason they went back to UMD. Not sure why. Some people might think that UMD means Maryland.

mmiller_34
November 22nd, 2017, 08:19 PM

I feel like they might have the same kind of trajectory as USD has had. Lots of talk about next season we'll be better; next year looks solid.... then one year they might start 6-0......

then finish 1-4.

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2017, 08:21 PM
True, but think about what a title game could have done for Eastern Washington or Delaware or McNeese this season. Also, you would have
to push back the dates of round one games, potentially improving round one attendance.
if not playing any playoff games on Thanksgiving weekend was a viable option, they would have done it already. They aren't going to do that just to enable "conference championship games"

JayJ79
November 22nd, 2017, 08:25 PM
I've always figured that the Dakota schools (and UNI) would always be playing each other, as the "missed" schools on each of their schedules would always be eastern/southern schools. I don't see that changing with another Dakota school being added.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 08:29 PM

No.

I'm no UND fan but they will not be a cellar dweller for long. They got rid of the albatross that was women's ice hockey and they should have. Cut down on the number of sports and put more $$ into other programs.

igo4uni
November 22nd, 2017, 08:52 PM
No.

I'm no UND fan but they will not be a cellar dweller for long. They got rid of the albatross that was women's ice hockey and they should have. Cut down on the number of sports and put more $$ into other programs.

I remember when they came in to the UNI-Dome and beat our butts....must have been 2008 or so.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2017, 08:59 PM
I remember when they came in to the UNI-Dome and beat our butts....must have been 2008 or so.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 09:08 PM

UND had a player that I think torched UNI that game....Dressler....RB/WR/KR....he's still playing in the CFL and is a very good WR up there.

Yote 53
November 22nd, 2017, 09:29 PM
Just start Summit Football. The Best in the West shouldn't have to compare records for a conference title with some weak East school that skates through due to easy scheduling.

REALBird
November 22nd, 2017, 09:31 PM
Yeah right. Bradley University wouldn't allow themselves to play the lowly Dakota schools.

Yet, all the Dakota schools would likely beat them by 20 if they ever met on the court.

Well I hear the Horizon May have interest in BradLee

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 09:34 PM
Just start Summit Football. The Best in the West shouldn't have to compare records for a conference title with some weak East school that skates through due to easy scheduling.
Big talk for a team that still hasn't finished over .500 in conference play, getting to play a full slate of eastern teams....

igo4uni
November 22nd, 2017, 09:35 PM
UND had a player that I think torched UNI that game....Dressler....RB/WR/KR....he's still playing in the CFL and is a very good WR up there.

I remember that UNI officials had a banner hanging ceremony before the game to celebrate our trip to the national championship game vs. Appalachian State the previous year. The banner fell down and North Dakota showed us how a D2 team could make a elite FCS team look bad.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 09:38 PM
I remember that UNI officials had a banner hanging ceremony before the game to celebrate our trip to the national championship game vs. Appalachian State the previous year. The banner fell down and North Dakota showed us how a D2 team could make a elite FCS team look bad.

That UNI team that played App State was a good one.

Yote 53
November 22nd, 2017, 09:39 PM
Big talk for a team that still hasn't finished over .500 in conference play, getting to play a full slate of eastern teams....
We get to miss out on MoState so we didn't get the full helping of eastern schools. Unless you count MSU as West, I usually put WIU in the West. They are good so they have earned that accolade.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 09:47 PM
We get to miss out on MoState so we didn't get the full helping of eastern schools. Unless you count MSU as West, I usually put WIU in the West. They are good so they have earned that accolade.
MSU is literally the furthest west non-Dakota school, so yeah, the are a western team.

How is WIU a western school? They are 2 hours east of Cedar Falls. Macomb is only like 20-30 miles west of Carbondale. If a geo divisional split was done WIU would be east and MSU would be west

This season USD played
ISUr
YSU
ISUb
SIU

Given there literally isn't a non-Dakota team that USD could have replaced with MSU that would have moved the average location of USD's opponents east.

There is only 1 game you could replace that would impove USDs record against that group - replace Illinois State with MSU.

Seriously, look at this graphic and tell me how you consider WIU a western team and MSU an eastern team
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/DW/DWEUTWYIISPQWFW.20170126161257.jpg

Yote 53
November 22nd, 2017, 09:50 PM
That would be good because that was the one team from out east we didn't beat. Could have had that winning conference record. So close...

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 09:53 PM
That would be good because that was the one team from out east we didn't beat. Could have had that winning conference record. So close...
So again I state

Even playing the full slate of eastern teams, mighty USD couldn't get to over .500 or a top half finish in MVFC play

IBleedYellow
November 22nd, 2017, 10:09 PM
UND isn't deep right now in the Big Sky... And their players are smaller.

They're going to have a tough 5-8 years if your ask me. NDSU and SDSU will get to pick their players vs UND. Especially if Bubba stays as their coach.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yote 53
November 22nd, 2017, 10:14 PM
UND isn't deep right now in the Big Sky... And their players are smaller.

They're going to have a tough 5-8 years if your ask me. NDSU and SDSU will get to pick their players vs UND. Especially if Bubba stays as their coach.

Agree. When they came to the Dome this year they didn't have the same look or build of a typical Valley team. Looked like USD after we came out of the Great West and joined the Valley. We saw how that turned out and it's taken years to build into the type of physical team it takes in this conference.

IBleedYellow
November 22nd, 2017, 11:17 PM
Agree. When they came to the Dome this year they didn't have the same look or build of a typical Valley team. Looked like USD after we came out of the Great West and joined the Valley. We saw how that turned out and it's taken years to build into the type of physical team it takes in this conference.And no offense but you probably wouldn't be there this year either.... Strevler is a monster.

Despite what coach Eck believes. xlolx

CappinHard
November 22nd, 2017, 11:47 PM
And no offense but you probably wouldn't be there this year either.... Strevler is a monster.

Lol, I love how upset people get over his tweets. I like it. Shows some attitude and pride. A welcome change of pace from 'Golly gee you guys' Stig.

Rabbit3467
November 23rd, 2017, 01:13 AM

It will take time for them to get up to speed with the Valley no doubt about it. But don't get cocky because the prairie rats have made the playoffs 6 years and that somehow overrides a 100 years of UND's success.I thought he was talking about USD not UND?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TennBison
November 23rd, 2017, 03:57 AM

A long history of being good yes, but at the DII level. They have had only one good year in their time at DI, and other than that, they have been a bottom dweller, look at this year. They are not built for MVFC play as they are geared towards speed. They are looking at yet another transition period where once they get into MVFC play they will need to start playing power football again. And that will take them a handful of years to adapt to, and even then, they still might not be good.

Thumper 76
November 23rd, 2017, 05:30 AM
Lol, I love how upset people get over his tweets. I like it. Shows some attitude and pride. A welcome change of pace from 'Golly gee you guys' Stig.

Never mind that it was a joke in response to Zimmer tweet. Oh well though, everyone’s sensitive when you take 2/3 vs one rival and, well, all of them vs another. xcoffeex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herder
November 23rd, 2017, 08:27 AM
Who is this guy named Murray?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 08:32 AM
And no offense but you probably wouldn't be there this year either.... Strevler is a monster.

If he can stay healthy here for the playoffs, USD can make a deep run.

As for USD maintaining this, we'll see how they do next year w/o him.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2017, 08:50 AM
Seriously, look at this graphic and tell me how you consider WIU a western team and MSU an eastern team
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/DW/DWEUTWYIISPQWFW.20170126161257.jpg

Just for reference for those of you who might not be aware...IUPUI joined the Horizon this season. They're not in the summit anymore.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 09:17 AM
Just for reference for those of you who might not be aware...IUPUI joined the Horizon this season. They're not in the summit anymore.

I bet Fort Wayne is also gone soon.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2017, 09:18 AM
I bet Fort Wayne is also gone soon.

Very possible.

BisonFan02
November 23rd, 2017, 10:06 AM
Never mind that it was a joke in response to Zimmer tweet. Oh well though, everyone’s sensitive when you take 2/3 vs one rival and, well, all of them vs another. xcoffeex

Biggest wins in SDSU program history.

IBleedYellow
November 23rd, 2017, 10:14 AM

They got the trophy they always wanted. I guess you're right!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 10:16 AM

I thought it was their lone D2 win in 1979 or something like that....:D

Southern Bison
November 23rd, 2017, 11:33 AM
I'll take all the hits for what I actually say. None for edited crap from you. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171123/7992103cde19d22a51dfbb249340eda0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

clenz
November 23rd, 2017, 01:16 PM

Yeah well it’s the graphic und put out from the day of their announcement.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2017, 01:20 PM
Yeah well it’s the graphic und put out from the day of their announcement.

Right, I got that. I was just adding relevant info in case anyone wasn't aware of the situation.

igo4uni
November 23rd, 2017, 01:40 PM
Right, I got that. I was just adding relevant info in case anyone wasn't aware of the situation.

Much appreciated. who really follows iupui that closely??

IBleedYellow
November 23rd, 2017, 03:19 PM

No - he follows the conferences that his school is affiliated with.

ST_Lawson
November 23rd, 2017, 03:51 PM

Judging by their usual attendance at their home basketball games, I believe the number of people who actually follow ooeepooee is approximately 3.

clenz
November 23rd, 2017, 04:37 PM
No - he follows the conferences that his school is affiliated with.

I know jackingofffan29 loves to tell me I’m wrong but I follow the potential realignment at the Horizon Summit MVC level closely because of future potential implications for UNI and the MVFC

mmiller_34
November 23rd, 2017, 09:13 PM
I know jackingofffan29 loves to tell me I’m wrong but I follow the potential realignment at the Horizon Summit MVC level closely because of future potential implications for UNI and the MVFC

How do you see the potential realignment going in the near future?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2017, 08:00 AM

I think they have a few fans...

mmiller_34
November 24th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I think they [IUPUI] have a few fans...

https://media.giphy.com/media/s7BO03ncWowog/giphy.gif