PDA

View Full Version : PC officially to Pionner

WallyWofford
November 21st, 2017, 12:15 PM
http://bigsouthsports.com/news/2017/11/20/statement-by-commissioner-kyle-kallander-on-presbyterian-football.aspx

Seems to be a done deal. It's probably best for the Blue Hose.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 12:32 PM
So the Pioneer is trading the Big South Campbell for Presbyterian.

Let's see how this works out for them Cotton.

Milktruck74
November 21st, 2017, 12:32 PM
This is actually a good fit for PC. They have struggled for a long time to put a quality product on the field, and I think they will be able to be competitive with the PL

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 12:36 PM
PC vs. Davidson! The Football Quitters Bowl! Dilly dilly!

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2017, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to the SoCoN and Big South merger.

SU DOG
November 21st, 2017, 01:08 PM
I don't think the Big South will merge with the SoCon. You do have to wonder what the Kennesaw State long range plans are, and I don't know if FBS is in their plans for the near future or not. Campbell will be a rising star in the Big South quickly. I also think that North Alabama will also be a nice addition. Does anybody know if North Greenville has any plans for D-1?

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 01:12 PM
I don’t think the SoCon has any desire to merge with the Big South.

Model Citizen
November 21st, 2017, 01:40 PM
It seems the Atlantic Sun has unofficially merged with the Big South. At least in football. Isn't North Alabama joining the ASun, with a Big South associate membership in football (after one indp season)?

Then there's the open invitation to Jacksonville and Stetson for Big South football...

kdinva
November 21st, 2017, 01:57 PM
It seems the Atlantic Sun has unofficially merged with the Big South. At least in football. Isn't North Alabama joining the ASun, with a Big South associate membership in football (after one indp season)?

Then there's the open invitation to Jacksonville and Stetson for Big South football...

this "relationship" has been in place for about a year, now.....FYI...

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 01:57 PM
Looking forward to the SoCoN and Big South merger.

Never going to happen.

dgtw
November 21st, 2017, 02:35 PM

If an A-Sun member has football, they are automatically affiliate Big South members. So if Jacksonville or Stetson starts offering scholarships, they are in. Same deal if NJIT starts a team.

UNA joined the A-Sun, which got them in the Big South. I don’t know if the BSC had to officially approve them joining the A-Sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthChuckSouth
November 21st, 2017, 03:01 PM
I don't think the Big South will merge with the SoCon. You do have to wonder what the Kennesaw State long range plans are, and I don't know if FBS is in their plans for the near future or not. Campbell will be a rising star in the Big South quickly. I also think that North Alabama will also be a nice addition. Does anybody know if North Greenville has any plans for D-1?

As much as it seems bad, I think we're basically going to become the transition conference for teams in the D2 Gulf South Conference.. I wouldn't mind having West Georgia in.. And North Greenville fits perfectly, especially for taking the South Carolina spot PC is leaving.

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 03:10 PM
It wasn't a hard to figure out. If they would have scored more often then there wouldn't have been any issues with the blue hose. xthumbsupx

NorthChuckSouth
November 21st, 2017, 03:35 PM
It wasn't a hard to figure out. If they would have scored more often then there wouldn't have been any issues with the blue hose. xthumbsupx
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/841314532907667456/72Ade-q1.jpg

Professor
November 21st, 2017, 03:48 PM
I need my AD to get Presbyterian College on our schedule for 2019-2020

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2017, 06:58 PM
Who's next, Jacksonville or Stetson?

NorthChuckSouth
November 21st, 2017, 07:12 PM
Who's next, Jacksonville or Stetson?

Jacksonville before Stetson I believe

Model Citizen
November 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM
They are the two worst draws in the PFL. No tradition at either school. For whom would they jack up the budget another two mil?

walliver
November 22nd, 2017, 08:37 AM
If an A-Sun member has football, they are automatically affiliate Big South members. So if Jacksonville or Stetson starts offering scholarships, they are in. Same deal if NJIT starts a team.

UNA joined the A-Sun, which got them in the Big South. I don’t know if the BSC had to officially approve them joining the A-Sun.

There are actually geographic limits to the affiliate deal. The A-Sun team would have to be within the Big South's geographic footprint to automatically be invited. Although in football, I'm not sure what it's geographic limits are. It obviously doesn't need to be Big or South. The A-Suns limits are more extensive. It doesn't have to be in the sun (NJIT).

Lion1983
November 22nd, 2017, 10:23 AM

No, the Big South has nothing to do with the A-Sun members as far as approving any of them.
UNA is a good fit in the A-Sun.

That being said, After losing Upstate to the Big South, the A-Sun will need 2 more to get to the 10 they want to be at. The only 2 schools I can think about in the A-Sun footprint (that used to include Texas) is Tarleton State, and West Florida. They are both good D2 schools, but I'm sure the A-Sun needs one to already be D1. Don't know who it could be, Bama St and A&M maybe?

Lion1983
November 22nd, 2017, 10:27 AM
Jacksonville before Stetson I believe

I believe Stetson is closer. Both may be waiting on the other. I hope it's soon.

WestCoastAggie
November 22nd, 2017, 11:29 AM
I need my AD to get Presbyterian College on our schedule for 2019-2020

Actually, we need to schedule a tougher OOC team.

WestCoastAggie
November 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM
There are actually geographic limits to the affiliate deal. The A-Sun team would have to be within the Big South's geographic footprint to automatically be invited. Although in football, I'm not sure what it's geographic limits are. It obviously doesn't need to be Big or South. The A-Suns limits are more extensive. It doesn't have to be in the sun (NJIT).

TBH, NJIT is an excellent "fit" in the MEAC, especially if they start a football team. They fit with A&T, FAMU, Howard and Morgan academically and are similarly sized enrollment-wise.

kdinva
March 3rd, 2018, 08:46 AM
Presby's 2018 Roster a work in progress:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180302125523887677304&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

schedule: (10 games so far, including Hampton...)

http://www.gobluehose.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=18100&SPID=10734&SPSID=89739

dgtw
March 9th, 2018, 10:14 PM
They are really going to have a rough time the next couple years until they move to the PFL.

Lion1983
March 9th, 2018, 10:16 PM
They are really going to have a rough time the next couple years until they move to the PFL.

So, what's different?

UNHWildcat18
March 10th, 2018, 07:33 AM
TBH, NJIT is an excellent "fit" in the MEAC, especially if they start a football team. They fit with A&T, FAMU, Howard and Morgan academically and are similarly sized enrollment-wise.

They’ll never have a football team. Book them to the NEC or AE if they ever develop their athletic department enough.

RedFlash
March 11th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Agreed about NJIT, they'd be a perfect fit geographically for the NEC.

aceinthehole
March 11th, 2018, 08:55 AM

But that's it - geography only. Their enrollment is heavily male, and they don't sponsor many NEC sports.

They only sponsor 3 women's team sports - Volleyball, Basketball, and Soccer. They just don't offer a lot to prospective conferences.

As lowly as the NEC is as a D-I athletic conference, we have no need for NJIT. The league declined to add NJIT at the time we added Bryant.

DFW HOYA
March 11th, 2018, 06:23 PM

Were the MAAC football schools still in business, NJIT would be a good fit alongside St. Peter's, Marist, Fairfield, Iona, Siena, Canisius and LaSalle. Some of these schools have dropped off the college sports map.

Canisius: No NCAA basketball bids since dropping football
Fairfield: No NCAA basketball bids since dropping football
St. Peter's: One NCAA basketball bid since dropping football
LaSalle: One NCAA basketball bid since dropping football

NY Crusader 2010
March 11th, 2018, 09:11 PM
It is my understanding that NJIT inquired about admission to the Patriot League shortly after they first moved up to Division I. Not sure if they actually formally applied but do remember their AD talking about Patriot League membership as a department goal. If I recall, their basketball team had just come off a 1-30 season, so probably not the right time for program promotion.Hope they find a steady Northeastern home sometime in the not-too-distant future. Come to think of it, they get absolutely ZERO publicity in Metro NYC, even considering how low on the totem pole college sports is as a whole. On WFAN, they'll typically toss around all the local D-I Men's basketball scores to include the likes of St. John's, Hofstra, Fordham, Manhattan, Army, Princeton, Yale, Fairfield, etc. I don't recall ever hearing an NJIT score mentioned.

Laker
March 11th, 2018, 10:29 PM
It is my understanding that NJIT inquired about admission to the Patriot League shortly after they first moved up to Division I. Not sure if they actually formally applied but do remember their AD talking about Patriot League membership as a department goal.

Their AD is a nice guy. Years ago I wrote to him about buying a NJIT cap for my collection since they didn't have them online. He sent me one for free. I appreciated it.

Go...gate
March 12th, 2018, 01:30 AM
It is my understanding that NJIT inquired about admission to the Patriot League shortly after they first moved up to Division I. Not sure if they actually formally applied but do remember their AD talking about Patriot League membership as a department goal. If I recall, their basketball team had just come off a 1-30 season, so probably not the right time for program promotion.Hope they find a steady Northeastern home sometime in the not-too-distant future. Come to think of it, they get absolutely ZERO publicity in Metro NYC, even considering how low on the totem pole college sports is as a whole. On WFAN, they'll typically toss around all the local D-I Men's basketball scores to include the likes of St. John's, Hofstra, Fordham, Manhattan, Army, Princeton, Yale, Fairfield, etc. I don't recall ever hearing an NJIT score mentioned.

You are correct. I believe that NJIT has played some games with PL schools, but that is all.

UNHWildcat18
March 12th, 2018, 06:08 AM
But that's it - geography only. Their enrollment is heavily male, and they don't sponsor many NEC sports.

They only sponsor 3 women's team sports - Volleyball, Basketball, and Soccer. They just don't offer a lot to prospective conferences.

As lowly as the NEC is as a D-I athletic conference, we have no need for NJIT. The league declined to add NJIT at the time we added Bryant.

Pretty much the same for every potential conference. They as a whole in terms of womens and mens sports and facilities just aren't there yet. No conference is desperate so they will just wait till they get up to par. The new athletic facility will help them and they will be able to move soccer lax and field hockey to the field next to it again instead of having them play at another university. I guess they still have a ways to go in other areas though.

Lion1983
March 12th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Pretty much the same for every potential conference. They as a whole in terms of womens and mens sports and facilities just aren't there yet. No conference is desperate so they will just wait till they get up to par. The new athletic facility will help them and they will be able to move soccer lax and field hockey to the field next to it again instead of having them play at another university. I guess they still have a ways to go in other areas though.
They just opened the new arena before basketball started this year didn't they? Looks like a really nice facility to me.

ccd494
March 12th, 2018, 02:07 PM

Word was that when NJIT made their formal pitch to America East it was legendarily, laughably bad.

Model Citizen
March 12th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Mid-March means only one thing to sports fanatics: offseason news from the Pioneer Football League.

So what school will be the next to join the PFL?

--Augustana SD (potential D-II move up to the Summit League)
--Azusa Pacific (potential D-II move up to the WAC)
--VMI

??????????????????????

No Georgetown jokes, please.

Laker
March 12th, 2018, 04:57 PM

--VMI

There has been some serious scuttlebutt around the NSIC that Augie is thinking about doing so. They would be another Summit 1-29 team and longs for their old rivalries with the old NCC schools that are in it. Their football stadium is beautiful- for D2. But it couldn't be a MVFC school. They claim that they have the money.

NY Crusader 2010
March 12th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Augustana to the Summit? We really don't have enough Dakota schools in Division I yet? VMI should seriously consider the move. They have been a whipping boy for 35 years in the SoCon, Big South and now SoCon again.

Go...gate
March 12th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Word was that when NJIT made their formal pitch to America East it was legendarily, laughably bad.

Which is a shame, because NJIT is a good school that does more with less. They stayed in Newark when so many institutions fled the city.

IMO, they would be a good fit for the NEC.

Model Citizen
March 12th, 2018, 09:11 PM
The Summit commissioner has said things such as "bigger is better" and "we like divisions." Not sure whether he is serious or just posing.

For divisions, they would want at least three new members. Candidates include former members Chicago State and UMKC.

That third spot could be Augie's if they could pay for the move up. Going non-scholly in football would soften the financial impact. I don't see them competing at a MVFC level.

Furthermore, I don't think the Summit would go farther west to get Grand Canyon, D-I's only for-profit school (Denver would veto that). Nor would NM State want to leave the WAC, where they win a basketball auto bid every year.

Go...gate
March 12th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Mid-March means only one thing to sports fanatics: offseason news from the Pioneer Football League.

--VMI

??????????????????????

No Georgetown jokes, please.

IMO, VMI should be in the Patriot League.

Laker
March 12th, 2018, 09:27 PM
The Summit commissioner has said things such as "bigger is better" and "we like divisions." Not sure whether he is serious or just posing.

For divisions, they would want at least three new members. Candidates include former members Chicago State and UMKC.

That third spot could be Augie's if they could pay for the move up. Going non-scholly in football would soften the financial impact. I don't see them competing at a MVFC level.

Furthermore, I don't think the Summit would go farther west to get Grand Canyon, D-I's only for-profit school (Denver would veto that). Nor would NM State want to leave the WAC, where they win a basketball auto bid every year.

I expect Ft. Wayne to be leaving the Summit. UMKC would like to come back.

clenz
March 12th, 2018, 09:50 PM
As I said in another thread - the last thing the upper Midwest needs is another D1 team.

Population - fan base, TV sets, and athletes- are already SUPER stretched to support what we already have.

UNHWildcat18
March 13th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Which is a shame, because NJIT is a good school that does more with less. They stayed in Newark when so many institutions fled the city.

IMO, they would be a good fit for the NEC.

While I also heard their last pitch was bad, I see them being a better fit for the AE. The AE is a mixture of the schools that represent the state at the D1 level or also sit right under the "flag ships" in the state. UNH UMaine UVM are flagships you have UMBC behind the Terps you have SBU UA BU all being at the top of the public school list in NY. One could argue Buffalo is above them but not by much. UML behind BC and Amherst. Hartford behind UCONN. Of course there are other schools that compete with the AE schools in terms of student size and athletic stature. Boston University, Northereastern, the IVY's in each state, Towson University, CCSU, Quinnipiac, URI, Monmouth. I see NJIT viewing themselves as the second largest school in NJ behind Rutgers and wanting to elevate their athletics to a higher level. That's why I see them being with the Hartfords and UNH's of the world over the STFU's and wagners. They want to Identify as a bigger face of their state as the public and private AE schools do.

If that makes sense in any sort of way. Also I am sure the NEC/AE has a "checklist" of sorts that NJIT is working towards completing, may take years who knows.

Go...gate
March 13th, 2018, 12:47 PM
While I also heard their last pitch was bad, I see them being a better fit for the AE. The AE is a mixture of the schools that represent the state at the D1 level or also sit right under the "flag ships" in the state. UNH UMaine UVM are flagships you have UMBC behind the Terps you have SBU UA BU all being at the top of the public school list in NY. One could argue Buffalo is above them but not by much. UML behind BC and Amherst. Hartford behind UCONN. Of course there are other schools that compete with the AE schools in terms of student size and athletic stature. Boston University, Northereastern, the IVY's in each state, Towson University, CCSU, Quinnipiac, URI, Monmouth. I see NJIT viewing themselves as the second largest school in NJ behind Rutgers and wanting to elevate their athletics to a higher level. That's why I see them being with the Hartfords and UNH's of the world over the STFU's and wagners. They want to Identify as a bigger face of their state as the public and private AE schools do.

If that makes sense in any sort of way. Also I am sure the NEC/AE has a "checklist" of sorts that NJIT is working towards completing, may take years who knows.

Makes very good sense.

ccd494
March 14th, 2018, 08:57 AM

That's fine, but the AE, if it is going to add someone, needs a school that plays baseball, field hockey, women's volleyball and softball. Field hockey already is down to 5 with 4 west coast affiliates (Stanford, Cal, UC Davis and Pacific) in a weird setup. Baseball, volleyball and softball are at 7.

NJIT offers baseball but that's it. Why would it make sense to add NJIT if they don't shore up what the AE needs? It's one more school to swallow an automatic bid in a one bid conference, and make it harder for long term schools to qualify for national tournaments. And it doesn't bring money. There's no AETV that needs to get into the New York market.

If NJIT were already in AE, it would be an okay fit. But, they aren't in, and they don't solve any problems.

UNHWildcat18
March 14th, 2018, 09:09 AM
That's fine, but the AE, if it is going to add someone, needs a school that plays baseball, field hockey, women's volleyball and softball. Field hockey already is down to 5 with 4 west coast affiliates (Stanford, Cal, UC Davis and Pacific) in a weird setup. Baseball, volleyball and softball are at 7.

NJIT offers baseball but that's it. Why would it make sense to add NJIT if they don't shore up what the AE needs? It's one more school to swallow an automatic bid in a one bid conference, and make it harder for long term schools to qualify for national tournaments. And it doesn't bring money. There's no AETV that needs to get into the New York market.

If NJIT were already in AE, it would be an okay fit. But, they aren't in, and they don't solve any problems.

Hence why I said it could take years until they have the what the AE needs/wants in terms of the right sports/facilities/athletic department structure............... Who knows if they will ever do whats necessary to join, or if they ever join at all. This is all just speculation.

Also I'm sorry but regardless of the conference, whether its since creation or first year in, you either win the conference bid or shut up. If its a one bid conference so be it. If its harder with one more school so be it, still fair game for every team every season.

ccd494
March 14th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Also I'm sorry but regardless of the conference, whether its since creation or first year in, you either win the conference bid or shut up. If its a one bid conference so be it. If its harder with one more school so be it, still fair game for every team every season.

Sure, every team has a fair crack at it every year, but if you are going to reduce your odds from 1/9 to 1/10, at least get something in return. I'm skeptical NJIT will ever get its **** together to the point that it offers anything.

dgtw
March 14th, 2018, 12:53 PM
It also reduces everyone’s slice of pie when money is handed out. Which isn’t that big to begin with. If they sponsored every conference sport, that’s one thing. But to take them in just because they are in the area you feel sorry for them being in a Florida based league is foolish.

UNHWildcat18
March 14th, 2018, 06:50 PM
It also reduces everyone’s slice of pie when money is handed out. Which isn’t that big to begin with. If they sponsored every conference sport, that’s one thing. But to take them in just because they are in the area you feel sorry for them being in a Florida based league is foolish.

agreed, hence why no one in the geographic footprint will take them.

aceinthehole
March 16th, 2018, 09:00 PM
That's fine, but the AE, if it is going to add someone, needs a school that plays baseball, field hockey, women's volleyball and softball.

Not that it matters because the AE isn't really looking to expand right now, but CCSU is in the footprint and already sponsors 3 of those 4 sports - we just don't have field hockey. :)

ccd494
March 19th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Not that it matters because the AE isn't really looking to expand right now, but CCSU is in the footprint and already sponsors 3 of those 4 sports - we just don't have field hockey. :)

Unfortunately for CCSU field hockey is the #1 biggest need