PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Officiating

Purpleglasses
November 21st, 2017, 10:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew how the officials are chosen during the playoffs.
Is it Visiting teams conference officials, or the home teams conference officials, or neither...
also, are the crews chosen by a merit system?

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 10:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew how the officials are chosen during the playoffs.
Is it Visiting teams conference officials, or the home teams conference officials, or neither...
I believe each conference puts out an "A team" crew based on their grading throughout the season and those crews are assigned by the NCAA to each game. A crew cannot officiate a game involving a team from its own conference.

There's a message board called http://www.refstripes.com/ (http://www.refstripes.com/forum/) that generally has posts on there from someone who's on the mailing list from the NCAA as to who is getting assigned where. Don't see anything on there yet. Generally I think it's usually Tuesday (today) or so when the assignments get posted.

On a somewhat related note I never understood why a conference crew couldn't officiate a playoff game involving two teams from that crew's conference. That's against the rules but I think it would make so much sense. Alas those types of ideas that make sense usually don't last long in NCAA-land.

McNeese75
November 21st, 2017, 10:47 AM
I don't believe either team's conference officials are used. They are usually from some other conference and there is NO merit among officiating crews :D

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 10:48 AM
Officials are from a different conference than the two teams in any given game.

For example a JSU/ KSU game won't have Big South or OVC refs.

We had CAA refs last year in the YSU game.

Not sure how the crews are selected though.

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 10:52 AM
In the Softland this is how we choose our officials..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_6ZOF7di1uk/UHOaI1AE0WI/AAAAAAAAAmA/CFntNY5co2o/s1600/blind+referees.png

TheKingpin28
November 21st, 2017, 11:13 AM
In the Softland this is how we choose our officials..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_6ZOF7di1uk/UHOaI1AE0WI/AAAAAAAAAmA/CFntNY5co2o/s1600/blind+referees.png

With 6 targeting calls a game?

I feel bad for anyone who gets Valley refs. Expect there to be multiple phantom calls, blind homerism, and take an extra hour to complete a game due to all the "replays and reviews" that will be made.

I just hope for no MEAC/SWAC refs. I do not wish that upon anyone, including SDSU.

JayJ79
November 21st, 2017, 11:39 AM
and take an extra hour to complete a game due to all the "replays and reviews" that will be made.

Anyone know what the status is on replay review in playoff games? I know a few years ago they had it for the later rounds, but I haven't really paid attention (and/or can't remember) how it was handled last year.
More and more conferences have implemented it to some degree, but I know it isn't universal

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2017, 11:42 AM
Just pray that you guys don't get MEAC refs...if you ever wondered what garbage looks like, look no further than MEAC officiating

*thinks back to the National Title game that had MEAC refs* Bleh!!!

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 11:46 AM
Another undeniable truth about playoff football is everyone thinks their conference has the worst officials. xlolx

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 21st, 2017, 11:57 AM

As I understand it Marty Scarano personally selects them

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 11:59 AM
I have no idea which crew it was but there was one OVC crew that was completely phenomal. They let the DBs and receivers play physical and didn't call literally every pass deflection a PI call.

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 12:06 PM

I feel bad for anyone who gets Valley refs. Expect there to be multiple phantom calls, blind homerism, and take an extra hour to complete a game due to all the "replays and reviews" that will be made.

I just hope for no MEAC/SWAC refs. I do not wish that upon anyone, including SDSU.

Don't forget the generous spots. Looks like a 3rd and 2....nope...first down. It does seem like they are fairly even with those though. WIU at IL State we both got quite a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schism55
November 21st, 2017, 12:07 PM
Well played sir xlolx

PantherRob82
November 21st, 2017, 12:10 PM

He also blacks out days you can’t take off on the calendar at my job.

geaux_sioux
November 21st, 2017, 12:13 PM

There's no way the Valley has worse officiating than the Big Sky.

FargoBison
November 21st, 2017, 12:17 PM
If you get an MVFC crew I hope you enjoy living in a world where offensive holding no longer exists.

TheKingpin28
November 21st, 2017, 12:23 PM
Don't forget the generous spots. Looks like a 3rd and 2....nope...first down. It does seem like they are fairly even with those though. WIU at IL State we both got quite a few.

Well you did not know that 3 is greater than 2 so just send it.

There's no way the Valley has worse officiating than the Big Sky.

Wrong.

If you get an MVFC crew I hope you enjoy living in a world where offensive holding no longer exists.

Oh that was some bad officiating!

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 12:25 PM
I have a hard time seeing a MVFC officiating crew ever being as bad as the CAA crew was for that NDSU/SDSU playoff game in the 2nd round in 2014.

And then there was the "whistle from the stands" call from the MEAC (or maybe SWAC) crew in the 2015 quarterfinals against UNI.

As bad as MVFC officiating can be the consistent thing is, IMO, that they let teams play and don't dominate the game with whistles. I wish we could've gotten MVFC crews in either of those aforementioned playoff games because they involved two MVFC teams. A MVFC crew would be familiar with the teams/styles of play and the teams would be familiar with the officiating. But, like I said earlier, that makes too much sense for the NCAA to change the rule on it.

Milktruck74
November 21st, 2017, 12:29 PM
Wondering.....Should the MEAC and SWAC get to send crews when they do not participate in the playoffs with their Conference Champion? Which conference officiates the Celebration Bowl?

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 12:30 PM
Wondering.....Should the MEAC and SWAC get to send crews when they do not participate in the playoffs with their Conference Champion? Which conference officiates the Celebration Bowl?
I'm fairly certain they do send crews to officiate playoff games. I'm not sure who officiates the Celebration Bowl though.

Milktruck74
November 21st, 2017, 12:34 PM
I'm fairly certain they do send crews to officiate playoff games. I'm not sure who officiates the Celebration Bowl though.

I know they do send them, but should the be rewarded with playoff games that their conference will not participate in?

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 12:37 PM
I know they do send them, but should the be rewarded with playoff games that their conference will not participate in?
I'm fine with it as long as they're good officials.

Milktruck74
November 21st, 2017, 12:44 PM
I'm fine with it as long as they're good officials.

So.....you are saying you are not OK with it!!!!!!

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 12:47 PM

MVFC refs are very all over the place. If there is a review, expect it to be what was called on the field 99% of the time so I'm not sure why they even have it. Bad calls can go either way...USD has gotten some calls and has been killed by them.

Milktruck74
November 21st, 2017, 12:53 PM
MVFC refs are very all over the place. If there is a review, expect it to be what was called on the field 99% of the time so I'm not sure why they even have it. Bad calls can go either way...USD has gotten some calls and has been killed by them.

How much of this has to do with the fact that there is usually only one or two camera shots, and they are from way up high and do not have the ability to zoom with clarity? The replay is only as good as the equipment capturing the play, and our FCS schools are not working with the same equipment as the FBS. I would be curious to know how many calls are overturned on replay FBS vs FCS? I would bet "conclusive evidence" is not as readily available in theFCS, so their rate of overturn is much lower.

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 01:42 PM
Softland officials:

Throw flags up to 1 minute after the play is dead.
Throw flags then discuss for 5 minutes what penalty might have happened.
Throw flags then discuss what rules COULD apply.
Throw flags then run over to the head coaches to see which penalty they should enforce, if any.
Can't keep up with the southern speed.
Are as wide as they are tall.
Are TV time hungry.
Probably haven't read the latest rule book as some of the penalties called this year don't actually exist this year...and change them IN GAME.

Purpleglasses
November 21st, 2017, 02:51 PM
Seems that Furman @ Elon has drawn the MEAC officials...how were they THIS season...I know their history, but have not heard about them this yr?

JayMYou
November 21st, 2017, 02:57 PM
Here's the crew for the New Hampshire game...

https://i.imgur.com/hzxuefR.jpg

McNeese75
November 21st, 2017, 04:02 PM
How much of this has to do with the fact that there is usually only one or two camera shots, and they are from way up high and do not have the ability to zoom with clarity? The replay is only as good as the equipment capturing the play, and our FCS schools are not working with the same equipment as the FBS. I would be curious to know how many calls are overturned on replay FBS vs FCS? I would bet "conclusive evidence" is not as readily available in theFCS, so their rate of overturn is much lower.

Yep, the Southland has replay during the season and rarely do the camera angles provide evidence to reverse a call.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 04:04 PM

The two on the right have some epic watch tans.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 04:06 PM
Yep, the Southland has replay during the season and rarely do the camera angles provide evidence to reverse a call.

One thing I learned this year is that not all the cameras are available to ESPN3 or whatever but they are to the replay officials. At least at our house. Sounds weird but true. We had a play that everyone thought we were robbed on, but turns out their were other cameras that were used to ultimately make the call. They were not seen by the ESPN3 crowd or video board. There was almost a riot.

LuckyKat
November 21st, 2017, 04:10 PM
I dont know, but I have seen my share if S@%*T Sandwiches served up this year in the SLC

McNeese75
November 21st, 2017, 04:12 PM
One thing I learned this year is that not all the cameras are available to ESPN3 or whatever but they are to the replay officials. At least at our house. Sounds weird but true. We had a play that everyone thought we were robbed on, but turns out their were other cameras that were used to ultimately make the call. They were not seen by the ESPN3 crowd or video board. There was almost a riot.

Well I can promise you, our house does NOT have additional camera available

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 04:27 PM

Idk...we usually have at least 4 or so camera angles at our home games. Sideline guys on each side, someone up on top of the pressbox at the top of the home/West side stands, and someone up in a "cherry picker" above our scoreboard at the north end zone. I think there might be one or two more, but those are the ones I know that I've seen recently.

BEAR
November 21st, 2017, 04:32 PM
Yeah the SLC has replay...with cheap gas station quality security cameras! :(

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2017, 04:35 PM

Like the Meac refs during that sub freezing game vs Nova last year?😉

PAllen
November 21st, 2017, 04:43 PM
Just pray that you guys don't get MEAC refs...if you ever wondered what garbage looks like, look no further than MEAC officiating

*thinks back to the National Title game that had MEAC refs* Bleh!!!

I've personally seen a MEAC playoff crew call intentional grounding in the endzone for a safety on a screen pass that the receiver dropped after it hit him in the hands.

polsongrizz
November 21st, 2017, 04:55 PM
Luckily for me I get to watch a ton of football from numerous conferences, and a few pro games. Trust me, it wouldn't matter one bit where the refs are from. As a whole left to right, top to bottom the reffing in this country football wise has become increasingly flat out HORRENDOUS! These fucs couldn't add 1+1 and get the same answer between them. And replay you say...HAHAHAHAHAHA

POD Knows
November 21st, 2017, 05:19 PM
I have a hard time seeing a MVFC officiating crew ever being as bad as the CAA crew was for that NDSU/SDSU playoff game in the 2nd round in 2014.

And then there was the "whistle from the stands" call from the MEAC (or maybe SWAC) crew in the 2015 quarterfinals against UNI.

As bad as MVFC officiating can be the consistent thing is, IMO, that they let teams play and don't dominate the game with whistles. I wish we could've gotten MVFC crews in either of those aforementioned playoff games because they involved two MVFC teams. A MVFC crew would be familiar with the teams/styles of play and the teams would be familiar with the officiating. But, like I said earlier, that makes too much sense for the NCAA to change the rule on it.Was that the SDSU game where NDSU got all of the phantom PI calls against them.

Twentysix
November 21st, 2017, 05:29 PM
Another undeniable truth about playoff football is everyone thinks their conference has the worst officials. xlolx

One of the first things I was taught in a football refereeing class led by a DI ref, is that most fans think they understand the rules of football but they don't and that many head coaches, even at the DI level, also do not understand the intricacy of many rules.

Bad refs do exist though :)

Bisonator
November 21st, 2017, 07:25 PM
If anyone gets the MVFC crew with a female make sure your players don't tackle too "roughly" or they could get a personal foul. Deluca got a PF on a totally legal tackle because she thought it was too "rough". I **** you not!

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 11:24 PM
Was that the SDSU game where NDSU got all of the phantom PI calls against them.
Not that I recall. The biggest **** ups I remember are them picking up a PI flag claiming a pass was tipped at the line when there was no one near it. Then they tried to put time back on the clock that ticked off during the kick return at the very end of the game. They also had several very ticky-tack personal foul calls. They just totally implanted themselves into the game in multiple situations they had no business doing it.

UNHWildcat18
November 21st, 2017, 11:46 PM

This made me laugh way harder than I thought it would :D

Thumper 76
November 22nd, 2017, 03:42 AM
Was that the SDSU game where NDSU got all of the phantom PI calls against them.

I’m not sure but I’m going to say yes. Mostly because we are obviously far an away the most proficient team in the MVFC at bribing officials (likely with SDSU Ice Cream). It is obvious because both of our rival schools have screeched it from the mountaintops and has made it abundantly clear to me that not only is it physically impossible for SDSU to beat anyone without the aid of officials, but is equally unfathomable that either NDSU or usd are even capable of committing a penalty, thus rendering any and all calls as quite ludicrous from the jump. Hopefully Stig keeps the secret to this ref voodoo in the SDSU coaches handbook, which is obviously passed from head coach to head coach, much like the presidential one. That way his replacement can continue our success through the assistance of the Black and white.

ASU33
November 22nd, 2017, 06:13 AM

The crew that officiated the Celebration Bowl last year was from Conference USA, The year before was a MAC crew.

MR. CHICKEN
November 22nd, 2017, 07:13 AM
This made me laugh way harder than I thought it would :D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26581&stc=1

.....CAIN'T DENY......DAT'S UH GOOD ONE..................xnodx:Dxlolx:Dxnodx..BRAWK!!

X-Factor
November 22nd, 2017, 07:38 AM

Which gives us all a chance to agree on something!

Milktruck74
November 22nd, 2017, 07:55 AM
One of the first things I was taught in a football refereeing class led by a DI ref, is that most fans think they understand the rules of football but they don't and that many head coaches, even at the DI level, also do not understand the intricacy of many rules.

Bad refs do exist though :)

Having officiated for 10 years, I see this too. It is hard to sit in the stands and listen to them. I can totally forgive judgement calls. If you saw it, you saw it...and sometimes you saw it wrong. However, APPLICATION of the rules is a different story. If you walk off 10 for a 15 yard penalty and NOBODY on the crew catches it...or if you live ball a dead ball or vice versa. Some times it is the crew that doesn't know the rules!!!! Mis-application is unforgivable..that is just lazy and not reading your rulebook.

katstrapper
November 22nd, 2017, 08:01 AM

As bad as MVFC officiating can be the consistent thing is, IMO, that they let teams play and don't dominate the game with whistles. I wish we could've gotten MVFC crews in either of those aforementioned playoff games because they involved two MVFC teams. A MVFC crew would be familiar with the teams/styles of play and the teams would be familiar with the officiating. But, like I said earlier, that makes too much sense for the NCAA to change the rule on it.

Sam Houston has had several Big Sky crews in the playoffs over the years. Very frustrating to say the least.

I know that the Southland Conference has an alliance with the Big XII conference officials, but some of the crews from the Southland are questionable, but it has to be a tough job to do especially with the speed of the game these days.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 08:32 AM
I know that the Southland Conference has an alliance with the Big XII conference officials, but some of the crews from the Southland are questionable, but it has to be a tough job to do especially with the speed of the game these days.

Especially in the Softland Conference due to the #SouthernSpeedTM

Terrier19
November 22nd, 2017, 08:51 AM

And while everyone thinks that....the SOCON KNOWS IT TO BE TRUE!!!!!! The absolute worst..BAR NONE

jmu007
November 22nd, 2017, 08:58 AM
FWIW, at least the CAA official seemed to let the WRs and DBs play for the most part this year. I don't recall too many PI flags outside of the obvious ones as the season went on in. (granted I watched mostly JMU games)

Question to all the non-CAA posters. How do you feel your conference treated PI calls this year? Fair or way too many and be prepared for high scores?

taper
November 22nd, 2017, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know how many refs played college ball? I know it's not currently a requirement but maybe it should be.

Yotes21
November 22nd, 2017, 11:54 AM

I agree, I don't think they have the same good camera angles...still frustrating.

Big Dawg
November 22nd, 2017, 01:55 PM
I've personally seen a MEAC playoff crew call intentional grounding in the endzone for a safety on a screen pass that the receiver dropped after it hit him in the hands.

MEAC refs are the absolute worst...only they can review a play and still get the call wrong. Everybody can say their refs are the worst...but the MEAC is well documented at being consistently bad...FOR YEARS.