PDA

View Full Version : Confidence vs. Delusion

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 10:35 AM
Why is it that some people think that when a poster shows confidence in his team that other people think he is delusional? Should a poster ever just say “we cannot/will not win this game?” I know I’ve said that before but I think it really is wrong to do that if you’re a true fan and I always feel bad about saying it later. At the end of the day it is just a message board anyway. You might see some people as “delusional”. But leave people alone and let people dream LOL! Dreams are all some have got in this world!

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 21st, 2017, 10:49 AM
This post should be moved to bobcat Nation....................

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2017, 10:54 AM
Why is it that when fans who show confidence in their team are questioned by opposing fans who show confidence in the opposing teams we're so quick to jump to the "well, I guess my team shouldn't even bother to make the trip then" woe-is-us retort?

I've learned over NDSU's playoff runs the last 7 years that the deeper you get into the playoffs the more confident the opposing fans are that there's no way their team can lose. It's just a fact of life around here this time of year. Be confident in your team's ability to win but don't be surprised when other fans do the same for their team to the detriment of yours.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 11:09 AM
Why is it that when fans who show confidence in their team are questioned by opposing fans who show confidence in the opposing teams we're so quick to jump to the "well, I guess my team shouldn't even bother to make the trip then" woe-is-us retort?

I've learned over NDSU's playoff runs the last 7 years that the deeper you get into the playoffs the more confident the opposing fans are that there's no way their team can lose. It's just a fact of life around here this time of year. Be confident in your team's ability to win but don't be surprised when other fans do the same for their team to the detriment of yours.
True- very good stuff there

th0m
November 21st, 2017, 11:40 AM
Why is it that some people think that when a poster shows confidence in his team that other people think he is delusional? Should a poster ever just say “we cannot/will not win this game?” I know I’ve said that before but I think it really is wrong to do that if you’re a true fan and I always feel bad about saying it later. At the end of the day it is just a message board anyway. You might see some people as “delusional”. But leave people alone and let people dream LOL! Dreams are all some have got in this world!

Kinda ironic when you were the most debbie downer on your own team when the bracket was announced.

But yes. Have confidence in your team. It's more fun to beat a team with confident fans.

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2017, 11:49 AM
But yes. Have confidence in your team.

Not as easy as it looks...

ST_Lawson
November 21st, 2017, 11:58 AM
You'll never hear me say that I think WIU can't lose...doesn't matter who we're playing...NDSU, Weber State, Indiana State.

Can we win against all those teams...sure. But can we get beat by all three as well...yup.

I think we have a little bit of an advantage in our game against Weber State, and I hope it's a blowout to our advantage, but it's entirely possible we could lose.

Football can be a crazy sport and upsets do happen, pretty much every week.

I think the only time in recent memory where I've said that something was absolutely going to happen, I was arguing with someone on Facebook who insisted that no 7-4 teams would get in as at-large teams because the bubble was too strong and there's too many 8 and 9 win teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalm
November 21st, 2017, 12:02 PM

You have your moments. Lol.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 12:41 PM
Kinda ironic when you were the most debbie downer on your own team when the bracket was announced.

But yes. Have confidence in your team. It's more fun to beat a team with confident fans.
It is ironic. I overreacted in my disappointment with rematches and our bracket because I wanted to play some new teams and not same old same old. I should not be like that though. And we do have a shot, even if we’recalled the underdog. it’s not like we’re playing the New England Patriots.

Serpentor
November 21st, 2017, 12:56 PM
All fans are delusion. You're rooting for a team that by some quirk of fate you happen to have been born by, and you're hoping they win so you can feel morally superior to other people you don't know. It's the most unearned sense of victory imaginable, you might as well get high, it's just as realistic an accomplishment if you're looking to feel good about yourself.

Daytripper
November 21st, 2017, 01:00 PM
All fans are delusion. You're rooting for a team that by some quirk of fate you happen to have been born by, and you're hoping they win so you can feel morally superior to other people you don't know. It's the most unearned sense of victory imaginable, you might as well get high, it's just as realistic an accomplishment if you're looking to feel good about yourself.

I'm going to get soooo high when we win the national championship! Because I am the greatest because my team won!

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 01:23 PM

I don't feel morally superior to Jacks, Bison, or Fhawkers. I AM superior to them. I went to South Dakota. It's a known and undisputable fact.

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 01:42 PM
Should a poster ever just say “we cannot/will not win this game?”

The CCSU people are...

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 01:45 PM
I don't feel morally superior to Jacks, Bison, or Fhawkers. I AM superior to them. I went to South Dakota. It's a known and undisputable fact.

I thought about going to South Dakota, but its a state liberal arts school (translate: would you like fries with that is taught there in the career center) with no engineering programs, plus its in a cultural black hole.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 02:02 PM
I thought about going to South Dakota, but its a state liberal arts school (translate: would you like fries with that is taught there in the career center) with no engineering programs, plus its in a cultural black hole.

As opposed to Fargo?xlolx Sorry couldn't resist.

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 02:05 PM
As opposed to Fargo?xlolx Sorry couldn't resist.

Have you EVER been to Vermillion? At least the Fargo metro area is pushing probably 200,000 people. Vermilion probably still has a volunteer fire department and everybody in town shares 5 party lines.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 21st, 2017, 02:08 PM
You have your moments. Lol.

Do i

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 02:08 PM
Have you EVER been to Vermillion? At least the Fargo metro area is pushing probably 200,000 people. Vermilion probably still has a volunteer fire department and everybody in town shares 5 party lines.

Simple relativity. I will take the Holy City over an oasis on the plains any day.

TheKingpin28
November 21st, 2017, 02:10 PM

The posts on here just keep getting worse and worse by the day.

JayMYou
November 21st, 2017, 02:30 PM

Confidence is the belief in the particular outcome of an event with more than one potential outcome. Delusion is when the belief in that particular outcome is capriciously stated as fact. Only folks with Oppositional Defiant Disorder like Alphagiz prattle on about such things. Don't be like him.

clenz
November 21st, 2017, 02:41 PM
I’m currently arguing with thumper as to who wins between UNI and SDSU. The argument is not exactly full of homerism

AmsterBison
November 21st, 2017, 02:51 PM
JSU fans are ticked off that they're going to have to travel to NDSU. It's flattering that they have that much confidence in our team, but I've seen NDSU play in the postseason 20+ times and the only game I was 100% NDSU was going to win was against San Diego last year... and that game turned out to be much closer than the final score indicates.

CappinHard
November 21st, 2017, 02:53 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/l4FGnnlIQslHkOPaU/giphy.gif

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 03:15 PM
JSU fans are ticked off that they're going to have to travel to NDSU. It's flattering that they have that much confidence in our team, but I've seen NDSU play in the postseason 20+ times and the only game I was 100% NDSU was going to win was against San Diego last year... and that game turned out to be much closer than the final score indicates.
I'm not.

Would I like to get the Bison in Jacksonville? Yeah. That'd be a fun game.

However, (and I may just have this opinion cause I'll be going Fargo too if we make it) I don't have an issue with playing at NDSU. The Bison earned their seed and they have a great atmosphere.

It's be one thing if we had to play outside (we honestly might just forfeit if that were to happen xlolx) but I for one am looking forward to experiencing the storied NDSU Gameday. I think if we make it, win or lose, it will be a good time. Unless we get blown out again... That sucked a lot. I do think a JSU/ NDSU game would be a good matchup this year though.

Yote 53
November 21st, 2017, 03:28 PM

With cellular phone technology we don't have to share phones anymore. You got me on the volunteer fire department though.

POD Knows
November 21st, 2017, 05:52 PM
JSU fans are ticked off that they're going to have to travel to NDSU. It's flattering that they have that much confidence in our team, but I've seen NDSU play in the postseason 20+ times and the only game I was 100% NDSU was going to win was against San Diego last year... and that game turned out to be much closer than the final score indicates.I was 100% positive that the 2013 team would beat everybody.

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 06:57 PM

Population doesn't always equate to culture.

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 06:58 PM
I’m currently arguing with thumper as to who wins between UNI and SDSU. The argument is not exactly full of homerism

Nobody cares about your lovefest.

Yotes21
November 21st, 2017, 06:59 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/l4FGnnlIQslHkOPaU/giphy.gif

You fell for the bait...just when I thought you were beginning to be one of the best SDSU posters with decent logic.

Thumper 76
November 21st, 2017, 08:32 PM

I’m sure your doctor finds the average USeD attendee’s cultures fascinating and your SDSU graduate pharmacist finds them profitable.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2017, 08:47 PM

Only San Diego?

xrolleyesx

NDSU is not a spread them out and throw the ball team. You know you can have a blowout with the score relative close, right? Different perception I guess.

WeAreThePride
November 21st, 2017, 08:48 PM
You were the one saying that Wofford had zero chance against the Bison. That you were going to pretend the game never happened.

woffordgrad94
November 21st, 2017, 09:54 PM
You were the one saying that Wofford had zero chance against the Bison. That you were going to pretend the game never happened.

Well maybe I was afraid that if I actctually uttered that I thought that (GASP!) Wofford had a chance that a whole buch of NDSU folks would jump all over my ass and call me stupid, delusional, crazy, etc. Kind of like in 2012 when they came to our message board spouting that kind of stuff and the mods had to ban several of them for talking so much **** to us on our own board...and our board hardly ever bans anyone so that just lets you know how bad it was.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 09:59 PM
I think being delusional is so much more fun than being confident. Just saying.

Bisonoline
November 21st, 2017, 11:16 PM
Well maybe I was afraid that if I actctually uttered that I thought that (GASP!) Wofford had a chance that a whole buch of NDSU folks would jump all over my ass and call me stupid, delusional, crazy, etc. Kind of like in 2012 when they came to our message board spouting that kind of stuff and the mods had to ban several of them for talking so much **** to us on our own board...and our board hardly ever bans anyone so that just lets you know how bad it was.

Must have been terribly traumatic that to this day you are afraid to talk about playing us.

BisonFan02
November 21st, 2017, 11:42 PM

All of you guys are state school peasants.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 12:19 AM

Which in the case of Vermillion, has neither.

Bison56
November 22nd, 2017, 08:24 AM

It wouldn't matter if you posted it, we already know you are.:D

Terry2889
November 22nd, 2017, 08:27 AM
Confidence= If UNH plays well, maybe they beat CCSU, and then play tough against UCA xnodx
Delusion= UNH is going to the Championship! xrotatehx

walliver
November 22nd, 2017, 09:35 AM
Simple relativity. I will take the Holy City over an oasis on the plains any day.

Even if you're locking inside a fence and only allowed out on Saturday.

My first year in grad school, I lived on Calhoun Street and would sit on my balcony watching the cadets head downtown on foot on Saturday evenings (and stumble back later that night).

CappinHard
November 22nd, 2017, 09:41 AM
You fell for the bait...just when I thought you were beginning to be one of the best SDSU posters with decent logic.

Ha, I figured you weren't serious so I just replied with a half-hearted gif. Plus, I get confused with all of the Yotes ## posters... I never know if it's one of the rational ones or one of the delusional ones. You guys need to get some new names so we can differentiate and don't lump you in with the rest of the Vermints.

bobcathpdevil56
November 22nd, 2017, 10:16 AM

Really Alpha, have you met jadmt?

ElCid
November 22nd, 2017, 10:31 AM
Even if you're locked inside a fence and only allowed out on Saturday.

Yup. And it wasn't that bad.

Yotes21
November 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM
Ha, I figured you weren't serious so I just replied with a half-hearted gif. Plus, I get confused with all of the Yotes ## posters... I never know if it's one of the rational ones or one of the delusional ones. You guys need to get some new names so we can differentiate and don't lump you in with the rest of the Vermints.

I'm not sure how or if I can change my name. When I signed up I didn't know what other Yotes fans had for their names.

Yote84
November 22nd, 2017, 01:41 PM

Haha. Yea, but they have like 13 fire trucks and a few grass fire trucks. Pretty legit.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 08:10 PM
All of you guys are state school peasants.

Do they have football at Jimmy U?

xeyebrowx

:D

mmiller_34
November 22nd, 2017, 08:17 PM
Below is the list of South Dakota Coyote posters on AGS:

- Yotes53
- Yotes21
- Yotes32
- Yotes96
- Yotes15
- Yotes38
- Yote84

I feel like its all the same person.

TennBison
November 22nd, 2017, 08:35 PM
That was probably the first time I got banned, I was in shock.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 08:39 PM

- Yotes53
- Yotes21
- Yotes32
- Yotes96
- Yotes15
- Yotes38
- Yote84

Honestly had no idea it wasn't.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 08:44 PM

Just went over to your home board and read your playoff thread. I like the enthusiasm and confidence.

I like watching the option/veer but I have never seen the Bison lose to a one dimensional team.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2017, 09:06 PM

- Yotes53
- Yotes21
- Yotes32
- Yotes96
- Yotes15
- Yotes38
- Yote84

Is that like being a Yoder in Amish country?

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 09:39 PM
Is that like being a Yoder in Amish country?
NW Iowa and SE South Dakota have a number of Amish. We also have a rather large number of Penecostals as well - many of which still very much on the fundamentalist side of it with the denim skirts, never cutting hair, only white button up shirts, dress slacks, etc...

So yeah, it's basically the same thing

Yote 53
November 22nd, 2017, 09:43 PM

- Yotes53
- Yotes21
- Yotes32
- Yotes96
- Yotes15
- Yotes38
- Yote84

We travel in packs.

Actually, the number is either an old jersey number or graduation year.

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 09:47 PM
NW Iowa and SE South Dakota have a number of Amish. We also have a rather large number of Penecostals as well - many of which still very much on the fundamentalist side of it with the denim skirts, never cutting hair, only white button up shirts, dress slacks, etc...

So yeah, it's basically the same thing

What about Hutterites?

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 09:52 PM
What about Hutterites?
Probably.

To be honest, I can't tell the difference between the Pentecostals, Apostolic, Hutterites, a number of Amish, Quakers, etc.

We have all of them in NW Iowa. There's a couple common names that the general public uses to refer to all of them - none of which are kosher. None are overly bad, but certainly prejudicial.

uni88
November 22nd, 2017, 10:25 PM
Haha. Yea, but they have like 13 fire trucks and a few grass fire trucks. Pretty legit.How many of those 13 are standing advertisements for Firehouse Brewery in Rapid City? :D

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CappinHard
November 22nd, 2017, 10:39 PM
We travel in packs.

Actually, the number is either an old jersey number or graduation year.

So you guys all got together and said "ok guys... We need a presence on AGS, but we need to be united, so everyone's handle will be Yotes then either your old jersey number or graduation year". I can't imagine the backlash Yote84 got for straying from the pack.

BisonFan02
November 22nd, 2017, 10:57 PM
Do they have football at Jimmy U?

xeyebrowx

:D

Barely. xlolx

Schism55
November 23rd, 2017, 01:06 AM
What about Hutterites?
They are definitely Hutterites in SD, north central part for sure.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 07:52 AM
What about Hutterites?

There is a colony down by Hawley, I have a bee location on their land. Nice people but they are not like the Amish. They use technology. Good farmers also. Cool listening to them speak....German accent.

woffordgrad94
November 23rd, 2017, 08:39 AM
It wouldn't matter if you posted it, we already know you are.:D

???????????
Know I am what? Whatever. I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I? xlolx

Yote 53
November 23rd, 2017, 09:06 AM
So you guys all got together and said "ok guys... We need a presence on AGS, but we need to be united, so everyone's handle will be Yotes then either your old jersey number or graduation year". I can't imagine the backlash Yote84 got for straying from the pack.
Actually, it was totally organic. If you go over to GoYotes there are all kinds of Yote# posters but I actually think the presence here might be larger.

Yote 53
November 23rd, 2017, 09:08 AM
There is a colony down by Hawley, I have a bee location on their land. Nice people but they are not like the Amish. They use technology. Good farmers also. Cool listening to them speak....German accent.

There is a colony over by Yankton too. I have heard stories about how they, ahem, keep their gene pool from being too linear.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 23rd, 2017, 09:15 AM
There is a colony over by Yankton too. I have heard stories about how they, ahem, keep their gene pool from being too linear.

xlolx

Yep, stories like what you have heard are the same up here...and true!

jsualumnus
November 23rd, 2017, 11:09 AM
What about Hutterites?

We used to buy corn and bread from the Hutterites when I lived in Great Falls, MT.

Bison56
November 23rd, 2017, 11:48 AM
???????????
Know I am what? Whatever. I KNOW YOU ARE BUT WHAT AM I? xlolx

You said we would think you were "stupid, delusional, crazy, etc. " xlolx

cx500d
November 23rd, 2017, 01:28 PM

Lots of them in MT, ND. They also run businesses and do manufacturing. The pool money and by large land plots to start colonies; kind of prices out individual farmers. One of the hutterite colonies also bought the old cold war radar base west of Grand Forks near Nekoma.