PDA

View Full Version : Samford @ Kennesaw State (1st Round)

youcanbankit
November 20th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Samford

Kennesaw State

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Tough decision here.

youcanbankit
November 20th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Tough decision here.

You want KSU to win, Samford Bulldogs like chicken better than owl....lol

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 09:39 PM
I'm not worried about beating either team.

I just think the game could go either way.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 11:12 PM
Already a thread on this one...

ElCid
November 20th, 2017, 11:19 PM
Samford

Kennesaw State

You can ask Ursus to combine the two threads. Would be nice to have them in one spot.

SU DOG
November 20th, 2017, 11:23 PM

The only SAM that JSU folks are talking about is in Huntsville...Texas that is. If we manage to get by the Owls, I hope they continue their superiority complex.

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Well it is in one of their logos. The one with the bulldog standing over the word SAM.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 05:20 AM
The only SAM that JSU folks are talking about is in Huntsville...Texas that is. If we manage to get by the Owls, I hope they continue their superiority complex.
Fans can continue acting like snobs all we want. We aren't the ones playing the game.

Just because I may be overlooking you guys doesn't mean the team is. We didn't beat 32 straight cupcakes by overlooking them.

walliver
November 21st, 2017, 08:48 AM
Rematches are always tough and the loser of a close game tends to do better in the rematch. It all depends on which Samford team shows up, the one that beat Wofford and Furman, or the one that lost to Western and Chatty.

I think KSU has a slight edge (home game, first playoff game, revenge), but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

SU DOG
November 21st, 2017, 09:13 AM
Fans can continue acting like snobs all we want. We aren't the ones playing the game.

Just because I may be overlooking you guys doesn't mean the team is. We didn't beat 32 straight cupcakes by overlooking them.

You are right on that cupcake issue. Coach Grass is far too good of a coach to let the team be complacent. IMO, there isn't a team in your bracket that I think is a cupcake. You'll either see an unbelievably good option or passing attack next week. First things first, however, and the Bulldogs need to be better at stopping this KSU option machine ourselves.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 09:17 AM
Yes, this bracket is brutal. Anyone in here could beat SHSU or JSU. I think ultimately Jacksonville State and Sam Houston will face off in the quarterfinals, but there are no Lehighs in this bracket.

SU DOG
November 21st, 2017, 09:19 AM
Rematches are always tough and the loser of a close game tends to do better in the rematch. It all depends on which Samford team shows up, the one that beat Wofford and Furman, or the one that lost to Western and Chatty.

I think KSU has a slight edge (home game, first playoff game, revenge), but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

The gamblers agree with you Walliver. This game stated out as a pickum, but now has Kennesaw State as a 1 point favorite.

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 09:21 AM
Yes, this bracket is brutal. Anyone in here could beat SHSU or JSU. I think ultimately Jacksonville State and Sam Houston will face off in the quarterfinals, but there are no Lehighs in this bracket.

There may not be a Lehigh but Nicholls is close enough.

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 09:23 AM
There may not be a Lehigh but Nicholls is close enough.

Wait untill Saturday

#SouthlandStrong

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 09:25 AM
Wait untill Saturday

#SouthlandStrong
I'm waiting like everyone else.

I'm just curious what your hashtag changes to when Nicholls gets waffle-stomped.

Anyway, this is not the Nicholls thread.

Kennesaw07
November 21st, 2017, 10:27 AM
I can't vote due to newbie rules! However, I do believe Kennesaw will win this game with the help of 350 hard earned yards on the ground.

Bison56
November 21st, 2017, 10:31 AM
I can't vote due to newbie rules! However, I do believe Kennesaw will win this game with the help of 350 hard earned yards on the ground.

Welcome aboard, and good luck to your team.

cx500d
November 21st, 2017, 01:50 PM

Hello, Nicholls anyone?

PaladinFan
November 21st, 2017, 01:58 PM
My two cents:

Over the years, I find that one of the biggest contributing factors in stopping the option game is having seen it and been able to prepare for it.

The biggest problem for Kennesaw is that Samford has seen a 3 back offense three times since the end of September: The Citadel, Furman, and Wofford. All three of those teams present the option in different ways, with the Citadel being more of a pure option attack, Furman incorporating a lot more passing, and Wofford being somewhere of a mix between the two.

Perhaps most concerning for KSU is that Samford just had to prepare for that type of offense against Furman. The more you see it, the easier it gets to defend.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 02:10 PM
My two cents:

Over the years, I find that one of the biggest contributing factors in stopping the option game is having seen it and been able to prepare for it.

The biggest problem for Kennesaw is that Samford has seen a 3 back offense three times since the end of September: The Citadel, Furman, and Wofford. All three of those teams present the option in different ways, with the Citadel being more of a pure option attack, Furman incorporating a lot more passing, and Wofford being somewhere of a mix between the two.

Perhaps most concerning for KSU is that Samford just had to prepare for that type of offense against Furman. The more you see it, the easier it gets to defend.

Not to mention the obvious, ....they have already seen Kennesaw as well.

SU DOG
November 21st, 2017, 03:02 PM
One thing that is being overlooked, or at least not mentioned here is the effective passing that KSU did against us. They threw for 252 yards and one TD. I know they want to run first, but their passing ability is surprising.

youcanbankit
November 21st, 2017, 05:37 PM
I'm not worried about beating either team.

I just think the game could go either way.

Going to be a good game. I have Samford winning by 9 points.... we shall see...

JSUSoutherner
November 21st, 2017, 06:34 PM
I finally voted...

for Kennesaw State.

Just because they have the plank.

ElCid
November 22nd, 2017, 03:48 PM
Folks being awfully quiet. I would think a game with a QB who has thrown for nearly 3300 yards this year would generate some discussion. Especially a rematch. Kennesaw St also has a good passing game. Not prolific, but effective. I also get the impression that the Owls have a tendency to play up and down to their competition. At least occasionally. I think I still have Samford by two scores. Samfords D and running game, not great early on, have both improved. Should be a fun game to watch.

igo4uni
November 22nd, 2017, 05:56 PM
I voted Samford.

youcanbankit
November 22nd, 2017, 06:08 PM
Interesting Graphic.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26590&stc=1

Birdman_
November 24th, 2017, 01:57 PM
One thing that is being overlooked, or at least not mentioned here is the effective passing that KSU did against us. They threw for 252 yards and one TD. I know they want to run first, but their passing ability is surprising.

First post, but have been reading for quite some time. As far as a rematch goes, this one is probably one of the more compelling ones we could have seen this time of year. I've tried to watch part of a few Samford games throughout the year, especially against option teams, and they looked really good in most of them. As you mention, KSU's passing game is deceptively efficient, and how much we rely on it can vary significantly from game to game. The receivers group is very talented for a group that isn't targeted often, so it's always fun to see them perform when they have the opportunity. With all of that said, a solid case could be made for either team to win this game, so I'm excited and a bit nervous to watch the rematch. What's the vibe amongst Samford fans?

ElCid
November 24th, 2017, 10:56 PM
First post, but have been reading for quite some time. As far as a rematch goes, this one is probably one of the more compelling ones we could have seen this time of year. I've tried to watch part of a few Samford games throughout the year, especially against option teams, and they looked really good in most of them. As you mention, KSU's passing game is deceptively efficient, and how much we rely on it can vary significantly from game to game. The receivers group is very talented for a group that isn't targeted often, so it's always fun to see them perform when they have the opportunity. With all of that said, a solid case could be made for either team to win this game, so I'm excited and a bit nervous to watch the rematch. What's the vibe amongst Samford fans?

Welcome Birdman. Nice to see another Kennesaw State fan here. Only saw part of an Owl game but been following their scores all year. Should be a good game. I agree it is either's to win, but Samford has gotten a lot better since your first game, especially their D. If you are hanging around in the fourth and can play keep away with ball control, I will give you the edge.

Birdman_
November 24th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Welcome Birdman. Nice to see another Kennesaw State fan here. Only saw part of an Owl game but been following their scores all year. Should be a good game. I agree it is either's to win, but Samford has gotten a lot better since your first game, especially their D. If you are hanging around in the fourth and can play keep away with ball control, I will give you the edge.

Thanks, it's a challenge to contribute in any meaningful way when your team has played so few games xlolx Your assessment on the game is probably fair, especially considering how difficult it is to gauge KSU's growth given the schedule they've played. The team today seems night and day better than where they were early in the season, but the rubber meets the road in the playoffs, so I guess we'll see who improved the most tomorrow.

CockyGeek
November 25th, 2017, 07:42 AM
This is a coin toss for me so I'll go with KSU by 3 because they're at home.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 25th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Kennesaw's running game looks good so far.

Bison56
November 25th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Samford can't tackle, or catch.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2017, 01:47 PM
So Kennesaw just busted like an 80 yard run and fumbled inside the 5 on that run.

that pretty much summarizes how Samford has played defense against the option this year.

katss07
November 25th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Guy has to hang onto that football!

Bison56
November 25th, 2017, 01:49 PM
So Kennesaw just busted like an 80 yard run and fumbled inside the 5 on that run.

that pretty much summarizes how Samford has played defense against the option this year.
Lucky bounce that it stayed in bounds. Terrible turnover, but can Samford do anything with it?

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Lucky bounce that it stayed in bounds. Terrible turnover, but can Samford do anything with it?

If it were another team I'd call it a lucky bounce but this is a trend with Samford.

Bison56
November 25th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Nice drive by Samford so far.

katss07
November 25th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Good drive with bad end, Samford punts

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Samford's D is getting exposed. They can't tackle.

SU DOG
November 25th, 2017, 02:10 PM
Embarrassing

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2017, 02:12 PM
This game appears to be playing like the first meeting but I'm not sure if a rain storm will help Samford recover.

Don't sleep on the bulldogs though, so long as they have Hodges and McKnight

JSUSoutherner
November 25th, 2017, 02:15 PM
This game appears to be playing like the first meeting but I'm not sure if a rain storm will help Samford recover.

Don't sleep on the bulldogs though, so long as they have Hodges and McKnight

Hodges and McKnight won't get them the lead if their defense doesn't come up with a stop.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Touchdown Samford. It ain't over yet..

jsualumnus
November 25th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Neither team looks like they would be a huge challenge for JSU. This last drive was nice by KSU. Bohannon has balls!

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Samford is in full Samford mode right now

(this is not a compliment)

TheKingpin28
Big TD to end the half.

Bison Fan in NW MN
Nice drive by Kennesaw to score at the end of the half.

Nice work!

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Dismal series for Samford

ElCid
November 25th, 2017, 03:34 PM
And Samford throws a pick 6. Down 28-10 now at end of third. Samford did, what they do. With Kennesaw's ball hogging ways, that may do it.

NDSUtk
November 25th, 2017, 03:35 PM
These teams are so one sided each way:
Samford: 39 passing plays for 260 yards. 17 rushes for 34 yards...

Kennesaw State:11 passing plays for 54 yards. 42 rushes for 312 yards...

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 03:35 PM
Kennesaw sticking a fork in it....And people gave me **** for ranking them as high as I did....

katss07
November 25th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Game over??

th0m
November 25th, 2017, 03:37 PM
And Samford throws a pick 6. Down 28-10 now at end of third. Samford did, what they do. With Kennesaw's ball hogging ways, that may do it.

TOP has been fairly even so far 21/23 Kennesaw

cx500d
November 25th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Game over??

Just about

ElCid
November 25th, 2017, 03:39 PM
TOP has been fairly even so far 21/23 Kennesaw

Yeah, I was just going by season trends not necessarily this game. I am sure they dial back the pass a little and pound it.

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Samford in full Samford mode.

kdinva
November 25th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Sammy gets to the Kenny 35, turnover on downs, 1:36 to go......Owls advance.

SU DOG
November 25th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Congrats Kennesaw, a very gritty and well coached team.

Catbooster
November 25th, 2017, 04:47 PM
Congrats KSU Owls! Good Luck against Jacksonville State

ElCid
November 25th, 2017, 05:22 PM
These Owls are wise.

Birdman_
November 25th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Hodges is impressive - very quick to release the ball and read our zone well throughout the game. It was fun to watch these two contrasting offenses go against one another. Samford is definitely the best team we've played this season, so hopefully this we can build off this win and play a competitive game next week.

longtimemocfan
November 25th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Samford just hasn’t had any luck in the playoffs. I don’t think they’ve won a playoff game since joining the SoCon. It’s a shame considering what a good team they had this year.