PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State fires 3 coaches

REALBird
November 20th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Billy Dicken former Purdue QB, ISU QB coach and Co-OC.

Dan Clark, OL coach and Co-OC

WR coach Kane Kiernan

“The production on the offensive side of the ball the past two seasons has not met our expectations here at Illinois State,” Spack said in a statement through ISU's media relations department.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/isu-s-spack-fires-three-assistants-including-co-offensive-coordinators/article_a99a43f5-8383-522c-8a8f-4e0e1985aded.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

F'N Hawks
November 20th, 2017, 07:49 PM

WR coach Kane Kiernan

“The production on the offensive side of the ball the past two seasons has not met our expectations here at Illinois State,” Spack said in a statement through ISU's media relations department.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/isu-s-spack-fires-three-assistants-including-co-offensive-coordinators/article_a99a43f5-8383-522c-8a8f-4e0e1985aded.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

So it's possible to fire coaches based on lack of production? Huh.

centennial
November 20th, 2017, 07:54 PM

This doesn't work for the Tweety Pie's. Otherwise Rudolph is probably gone.

ST_Lawson
November 20th, 2017, 08:59 PM
Who called that botched fake punt play in our game with ISU? They deserve to be fired, whoever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2017, 09:18 PM

It's not like firing an AD for an entire school's production? Oops, sorry....."retirement and severance". :D

clenz
November 20th, 2017, 09:59 PM
They should’ve committed some felonies. Would’ve kept their jobs. Been welcomed on campus with open arms.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 10:01 PM
They should’ve committed some felonies. Would’ve kept their jobs. Been welcomed on campus with open arms.

I don't think that applies to coaches, only players.

REALBird
November 20th, 2017, 10:24 PM

That’s original. LOL. I guess as time goes on it may get funnier.

barnwintersportsengelstad
November 22nd, 2017, 04:07 PM
We should take a boat load of copies of this policy back to GF and spread them around in the wind?

Redbird 4th & short
November 22nd, 2017, 04:44 PM
Who called that botched fake punt play in our game with ISU? They deserve to be fired, whoever it is.

OC/QB Coach Dicken is play caller. But I can't believe Spack wouldn't have had to bless it .. if not, we'll ... I'm not sure which is worse.

Tippning point for OCs was likely end of SDSU game ... called a decent enough game with Kolbe banged up and new FR QB (runner, not thrower). But then our decision to sit on ball with 2 mins left and all 3 TOs in a tied SDSU game on road. We were actually trying to run out the clock, and not go for FG. Contrast that with SDSU defense using all their TOs on that same series, because they wanted ball back so they could go for win. We ran the ball 6 straight plays, and never used a TO ... all we needed was a FG to beat SDSU in regulation.

Fun isn't over that game .. then we go into OT with our FR QB who hasn't thrown much and what he did throw was not pretty ... and what do we call ?? 3 straight pass plays from 25 .. then we missed 39 yd FG. Our defense stuffed their offense from 25, but they made 40 yd FG to win.

Win that winnable game and we are in playoffs. Our forum went nuts over play calling. Hard to know if Spack was behind those decisions .. but he clearly had little confidence in his offense, if he agreed with OC.

Redbird 4th & short
November 22nd, 2017, 04:55 PM
That’s original. LOL. I guess as time goes on it may get funnier.
I was laughing to hard to even respond.

Let's switch topics ..

Realbird ... do you think ISUr football program will win a 4th straight FCS APR award for MVFC this year ???

I just wish people like Clenz appreciated how hard it is to get a felon or escaped convict to show up to class, or even open a book .. much less to graduate ?? Not easy, but somehow Spack does it .. I heard he has zapper for all their ankle monitors, and he zaps them if they aren't doing what they're supposed to. Whatever it is ... our APR improved every year under Spack for first 7 years of Spacks 8 .. and then we've won it 3 straight years. Also hear, last Spring GPA tied for all time high.

So thinking we're in line for #4 .. you think so ??

LU808
November 22nd, 2017, 05:51 PM

WR coach Kane Kiernan

Would someone from Illinois State please call Lehigh AD Joe Sterrett and FB Coach Andy Cohen and tell them how to fire bad coaches?

We need new Defensive Coordinator, LB and DL coaches in the worst way!

REALBird
November 22nd, 2017, 06:13 PM
I was laughing to hard to even respond.

Let's switch topics ..

Realbird ... do you think ISUr football program will win a 4th straight FCS APR award for MVFC this year ???

I just wish people like Clenz appreciated how hard it is to get a felon or escaped convict to show up to class, or even open a book .. much less to graduate ?? Not easy, but somehow Spack does it .. I heard he has zapper for all their ankle monitors, and he zaps them if they aren't doing what they're supposed to. Whatever it is ... our APR improved every year under Spack for first 7 years of Spacks 8 .. and then we've won it 3 straight years. Also hear, last Spring GPA tied for all time high.

So thinking we're in line for #4 .. you think so ??

Nah...Clenz isn’t a bad guy. Can’t fault an opposing fan for taking a shot when they have a chance. Coprich did what he did, no hiding behind that and I am one of many who think that his punishment was “lacking”.

That being said, maybe a board like BradleyJerks has taught me that I don’t care to drag a kid for making a mistake. There are kids who do stupid crap and there are the repeat offenders who continue to do stupid crap. At some point I can accept bad judgement, but habitual bad judgement just pisses me off. Say what you want but some of our kids don’t deserve second, third or fourth chances.

The APR is a nice way to celebrate all the off the field successes, but we can’t sugar coat the off the field mishaps either.

I’m sure if you dig deep enough in each program you can find a kid or two who did some stupid mess that either resulted in an arrest or got them dismissed. Lord knows I did enough stupid shinola in my life that I choose not to graduate into that category of the older I get the better I was.

That said....carry on!

Redbird 4th & short
November 22nd, 2017, 06:58 PM
Nah...Clenz isn’t a bad guy. Can’t fault an opposing fan for taking a shot when they have a chance. Coprich did what he did, no hiding behind that and I am one of many who think that his punishment was “lacking”.

That being said, maybe a board like BradleyJerks has taught me that I don’t care to drag a kid for making a mistake. There are kids who do stupid crap and there are the repeat offenders who continue to do stupid crap. At some point I can accept bad judgement, but habitual bad judgement just pisses me off. Say what you want but some of our kids don’t deserve second, third or fourth chances.

The APR is a nice way to celebrate all the off the field successes, but we can’t sugar coat the off the field mishaps either.

I’m sure if you dig deep enough in each program you can find a kid or two who did some stupid mess that either resulted in an arrest or got them dismissed. Lord knows I did enough stupid shinola in my life that I choose not to graduate into that category of the older I get the better I was.

That said....carry on!
putting aside the many times he and others went way overboard, including running with misinformation .. uh .. sure, we can carry on.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 08:35 PM
Would someone from Illinois State please call Lehigh AD Joe Sterrett and FB Coach Andy Cohen and tell them how to fire bad coaches?

We need new Defensive Coordinator, LB and DL coaches in the worst way!

Do the Ill State coaches think Broadnax is Roberson 2.0?

Why fire defensive coaches?

Redbirds had a top 15 defense this year.

REALBird
November 22nd, 2017, 09:01 PM
Do the Ill State coaches think Broadnax is Roberson 2.0?

Why fire defensive coaches?

Redbirds had a top 15 defense this year.

I think Broadnax has a long way to go in the passing game to be Roberson 2.0. The talent is there, it’s a matter of how to get the most out of that talent.

As for your second comment, that was a Lehigh fan stating they need new DEF coaches. I think aside from a few games where the DEF didn’t show up, we were more consistent on that side of the ball at Illinois State this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2017, 09:07 PM
I think Broadnax has a long way to go in the passing game to be Roberson 2.0. The talent is there, it’s a matter of how to get the most out of that talent.

As for your second comment, that was a Lehigh fan stating they need new DEF coaches. I think aside from a few games where the DEF didn’t show up, we were more consistent on that side of the ball at Illinois State this year.

Yep...my reading comprehension is not good....xrolleyesx

Broadnax definitely looks like he could be a good QB in the future.

clenz
November 22nd, 2017, 09:33 PM
putting aside the many times he and others went way overboard, including running with misinformation .. uh .. sure, we can carry on.
It's not our fault your athletic department has a long history of handing out no punishment to players for off field/court actions, or the punishment that is handed out being EXTREMELY light, and taking transfers who were kicked off of previous teams for criminal behavior.

Once again, it's worth pointing out that Coprich PLEAD GUILTY TO A FELONY and 2 hours later his suspension WAS LIFTED. He was suspended 11 days, during May. His punishment? He wasn't a captain. Harsh.

On the basketball side shall we discuss how many times Muller had issues with Teddy Hawkins - sent him home from preseason trips, arrested by police with no suspension, etc... Hawkins was arrested for DUI, illegal transport of alcohol and driving on a suspended license. He was "suspended indefinitely" and I think he missed an exhibition against a sub D1 Quincy because he played against Murray State in the season opener - less than a month after his arrest. Another person to play against Murray? DJ Clayton who was arrested on theft charges 2 weeks before that game. He was also "suspended indefinitely", which was a sub D1 exhibition. Malik Yarbrough was also arrest on theft charges at the same time. Thankfully for Illinois State he was sitting last season out due to transfer rules so he didn't have to be suspended.

Redbird 4th & short
November 23rd, 2017, 12:20 PM
It's not our fault your athletic department has a long history of handing out no punishment to players for off field/court actions, or the punishment that is handed out being EXTREMELY light, and taking transfers who were kicked off of previous teams for criminal behavior.

Once again, it's worth pointing out that Coprich PLEAD GUILTY TO A FELONY and 2 hours later his suspension WAS LIFTED. He was suspended 11 days, during May. His punishment? He wasn't a captain. Harsh.

On the basketball side shall we discuss how many times Muller had issues with Teddy Hawkins - sent him home from preseason trips, arrested by police with no suspension, etc... Hawkins was arrested for DUI, illegal transport of alcohol and driving on a suspended license. He was "suspended indefinitely" and I think he missed an exhibition against a sub D1 Quincy because he played against Murray State in the season opener - less than a month after his arrest. Another person to play against Murray? DJ Clayton who was arrested on theft charges 2 weeks before that game. He was also "suspended indefinitely", which was a sub D1 exhibition. Malik Yarbrough was also arrest on theft charges at the same time. Thankfully for Illinois State he was sitting last season out due to transfer rules so he didn't have to be suspended.
Please don't take below as a rant .. just responding with an explanation for how I used to respond to ISUr/Spack bashing here.

So that said .. I don't want not re-litigate all of the things that have happened or did not happen or were grossly distorted by ISU Spack bashers here. And I have never followed basketball, nor paid much attention to it .. though do hear there have been some questionable situations I just can't speak to it either way.

But yet, I agree, Coprich should have gotten more punishment. I said as much here, though guessing you lost track of that or possibly missed it. My defense of ISU has always been simply this .. Spack runs a disciplined program with integrity. Whether every decision was 100% the "right" decision, I won't deny it. But the way you and other ISU bashers have completely mis-characterized Spack .. I felt was over the top most of time.

Case in point, OSBF told you all Shelby Harris beat a girl, and blamed Spack and his immoral culture for bringing in someone who would do that .. and the ISU bashers ate it all up as fact .. that and more from OSBF, because he was telling you all what you wanted to hear. Fact .. Shelby was falsely accused of beating a girl .. except it never happened, not even an altercation happened .. nothing. That is why OSBF couldn't support his accusation, but kept saying it until he must have realized .. it didn't happen.

As for Coprich ... he was a model student athlete; don't know his GPA, but he graduated on time without using his redshirt. He was also a great teammate with a positive attitude who never caused one problem in 4 years - not a prima donna despite how good he was.

But here my understanding of what happened, based on pretty good sources .. he got caught up in situation having only to do with money .. he did NOT sell, he delivered a small amount of marijuana just for the money ... and to a fully grown consenting adult, who happened to be a scumbag former druggie turned informant. There was no victim in this crime .. none. Yes it was illegal, but certainly there is enough debate over marijuana being illegal that grown adults might agree, this is not meth or crack .. this is much more like alcohol .. think prohibition era and how many people committed that crime before they decided it was no longer a crime. That said, I said here and on redbird forum that they must suspend Coprich for 1 game, or explain why they didn't ... so I was disappointed in that aspect.

But the context of my defending Spack has always been that the ISU bashers here were largely way off base .. and I simply didn't want to put up with all the misinformation and mischaracterizations of him and his program.

That said .. will you admit you are still stunned that our Academic APR Rating has improved every year since 2009 under Spack from the bottom of MVFC until now with 3 straight years on tops in MVFC .. the same 3 years that ISU has made playoffs 3 years in a row for 1st time in ISU history. I'm going to assume you (and others) are stunned ... because it didn't fit picture of Spack you and others loved to paint.

It's one thing to banter and talk smack here ... but I think there is a line to draw when questioning someone's integrity, ethics, and morals. I felt you and some others crossed that line too often. I also noticed a lot of the basking has stopped of late ... until your most recent comment. I'm guessing the 3 year APR run might have altered some people's thinking about Spack.

GABison
November 23rd, 2017, 01:15 PM
Who does Spack have in the wings?

cx500d
November 23rd, 2017, 01:30 PM
Who does Spack have in the wings?

Maybe Art Briles?

kdinva
November 23rd, 2017, 02:36 PM
“The production on the offensive side of the ball.......

NO ONE had a worse offense in 2017 than VMI........no changes so far.....but the PLAYBOOK needs a lot of tweaking.....

REALBird
November 23rd, 2017, 06:59 PM
NO ONE had a worse offense in 2017 than VMI........no changes so far.....but the PLAYBOOK needs a lot of tweaking.....

I trust you if that’s what you say. Can’t say I folks VMI, UND or Lehigh close enough to say that any of you guys aren’t justified in wanting change. I know the co-coordinator thing was stupid to begin with with our staff. But the OL the last two years never quite played with the consistency of our 2014 FCS championship team. The WR and TE corps were inconsistent beyond Warrum and Gibbs. Spencer Schnell is a bright spot, but too many dropped balls by everyone else. Not enough talent. A lot of that makes our QB look bad, but he’s shown glimpses of commanding the offense and making it his, and at other times he just doesn’t make good decisions.

Even in 2015 our OL was rebuilding but Roberson and Coprich made up for the inconsistencies at WR and on the OL. Not sure if the other skill positions aren’t good enough to help Kolbe overcome those deficiencies or maybe he has peaked. Next year will tell as I expect an open QB contest. If Broadnax doesn’t improve we may see a lot of our RS QB Trenton Hattfield or a platoon of all three. That just spells tragedy if it’s the latter.

BirdFan 4Life
November 24th, 2017, 02:25 AM
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-offense-has-qb-options-for/article_d2b3efaf-d98f-53c9-9867-653f5bfbe3c7.html

It’s for the new OC and QB coach to figure out when they get to campus according to Spack. I don’t know if that’s a bode of confidence for Jake Kolbe because it almost feels like an out for Spack to move past Jake.

Kolbe
Malachai Broadnax
Tristan Smith
Trenton Hatfield

Spack thought Hatfield would become a Safety here but when he got to campus and started throwing the ball they liked what they saw enough to let him RS as a QB. I think he could be a wildcard because he reminded me of a Johnny Manziel type player scrambling with the ball in HS tape.

Smith was Kolbe’s back up last year while Broadnax was RS’ing. They flipped this year so Smith could RS this season. He’s definitely the pure passer prototype that could challenge Kolbe.

Broadnax has the wheels and ability to get closer to Tre Roberson 2.0 (already wears his #). I think he has a real shot next year. His scramble on 3&22 against SDSU on the eventual tieing 4th Q TD was the first time all year I thought “wow we got the IT factor at the position again.” Spack has said he’s looking for an OC that can get back to a 2014-15 ISU offense.

If we don’t get some better talent at WR / better coaching you are going to see an even bigger dose of RB’s James Robinson and Markel Smith. That’s the only thing I know for sure next year.

Good Luck to all the Valley brethren in the playoffs, I’ll be rooting for you all! I know we expect to join in on the fun next year.

Redbird 4th & short
November 30th, 2017, 06:25 PM
ISUr re-hires OC Beathard as OC and QB coach. Beathard was OC during 2014 and 2015 seasons. His son started for Iowa and is now QB for 49ers that just got replaced by Garapolo. He's been around D-I a long time, inckuding several FCS stops

Roundly well received news in Redbird Nation. He left ISUr in June 2016 for personal reasons related to being away from his kids too long. Many have rationalized his unexpected departure that summer led to our offensive inconsistencies over the past 2 years. It most certainly did not help QB Kolbe development under Dicken versus Beathard.

REALBird
November 30th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Coach Beathard will get the most out of whomever the QB is this fall. Time to make some upgrades at WR, I don’t anticipate being as run heavy as the past two years.

birdsflyhigh
November 30th, 2017, 09:49 PM
Game changer hire for Illinois State U...great to have coach Beathard back as OC. Definitely excited for this Brock Spack re-hire as coach Beathard should have an immediate and positive impact on the program. YES!

GO BIRDS! :)

clenz
November 30th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Coach Beathard will get the most out of whomever the QB is this fall. Time to make some upgrades at WR, I don’t anticipate being as run heavy as the past two years.

ISUr was run dependent when he was there the first time.

BirdFan 4Life
November 30th, 2017, 11:02 PM
In 2014 ISU set school records for points (574), total touchdowns (76), total offense yards (6,954) and rushing yards (3,619).

Seems like it was pretty balanced between the run and the pass. Next year you could see clones of #25 Coprich and #5 Roberson in James Robinson and Malachi Broadnax.

Excited about the hire!

Redbird 4th & short
December 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM
So now RB coach Conard (9 years with Spack) resigned from position. 2 possible explanation, neither confirmed. One possibility is he felt he deserved consideration for OC position. Other unconfirmed rumor is it may have been result of RB group not being graded right when it came to blocking assignments. Or possibly combination that caused it to boil over. Again, unconfirmed speculation and rumors only .. but he has been with Spack for 9 years, so something happened.

OC Beathard will have his hands full finding coaches for RB, OL, and WR groups this offseason .. fortunately, it all happened quickly. Consensus in redbird Nation is OL Coach Clark and RB Coach Conard will be missed. But if game grades were being fudged for RB group .. maybe not. I attribute most of our consistency issues to co-OC Dicken .. he just was not cut out to be an OC at this level.

Redbird 4th & short
December 12th, 2017, 10:21 AM
As if firing 3 offensive coaches and losing another wasn't enough, our DC Nowinsky is reportedly getting a better gig and will be resigning amicably from ISU football staff. If true, this is not surprising given how well he has done .. going to guess he go DL position coach at FBS level and will make 3x the money. But Spack groomed Nowinsky and he will groom the next guy. I'm betting Spack will resume DC reins in 2018 and hires an Asst DC to do day to day stuff .. just like he did after firing DC Elmassian after 2010 debacle defensively .. back then, Spack as HC/DC took team from bottom 10 defense in 2010 to top 10 defense, while he groomed DL coach Nowinsky into the DC position .. and that could not have gone much better. Spack will figure this out again. I am much more concerned with the key seniors we lost at DT and secondary .. lost a lot in those 2 position groups.

JayJ79
December 13th, 2017, 06:40 AM
sounds like ISU going into next season is trying to compete with UNI going into this past season on the coaching turnover front.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 13th, 2017, 06:59 AM
As if firing 3 offensive coaches and losing another wasn't enough, our DC Nowinsky is reportedly getting a better gig and will be resigning amicably from ISU football staff. If true, this is not surprising given how well he has done .. going to guess he go DL position coach at FBS level and will make 3x the money. But Spack groomed Nowinsky and he will groom the next guy. I'm betting Spack will resume DC reins in 2018 and hires an Asst DC to do day to day stuff .. just like he did after firing DC Elmassian after 2010 debacle defensively .. back then, Spack as HC/DC took team from bottom 10 defense in 2010 to top 10 defense, while he groomed DL coach Nowinsky into the DC position .. and that could not have gone much better. Spack will figure this out again. I am much more concerned with the key seniors we lost at DT and secondary .. lost a lot in those 2 position groups.

Will Ill State take a big step back in '18 with all of these losses?

Redbird 4th & short
December 13th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Will Ill State take a big step back in '18 with all of these losses?

Offensively, most of us believe we will be better due to 3 things mainly:

- re-hiring of OC Beathard is definite upgrade - his knowledge, experience, and calm demeanor compared to predecessor will have big impact on QB situation and solve our maddening offensive inconsistencies this year.
- returning 4 very good young RBs (2 SO, 2 FR) - we are stacked for next 2 years
- returning 4 OL starters .. compared to losing 4.5 starters plus 2 injuries this past season; plus we just signed part-time starting OL from U of I ... a JR 4 star OL coming out of HS; Lovie Smith is going young and released him from schollie

Defensively, most of us recognize there will be drop off, regardless of DC Nowinsky leaving

- big losses at DL (3 of 4) and secondary (3 of 4 graduate)
- but we are stacked very deep at LB and have enough at DE - we will build around these groups
- we have good bodies waiting their turn at DT and secdondary, but unproven right now
- as for DC, my bet is Spack will take reins until he grooms his next DC .. so while a distraction, Spack did it very well in 2011

One point to make about our 2017 team .. if we had OC Beathard at the helm, this year would have been 8-3 team that would have made noise in playoffs. Our former OC just was not the man for the job. Our offensive inconsistencies were just maddening .. he was terrible at making in game adjustments. His play calling and lack of in game adjustments cost NAU, SIU, WIU, SDSU .. saying we would have won 2 or more of these 4 with Beathard. Even in the InSU game we won ..we put up 24 points 1st half despite leaving 20 points on field, then put up a zero 2nd half at home to barely win 24-13 .. this win revealed our offensive inconsistencies.

Next season though will be uneven start .. our run game and OC will help improve our pass game, and buy our defense time to develop, since we should be able to manage clock and grind out 1st downs. Defenses will have to stack the box against us. But until I see our defense start to come together, I'm guessing 6-5, maybe 7-4 at best.

p.s. we're trying to find someone to replace NAIA powerhouse St Xavier on our schedule, same as what WIU did this year. Otherwise, we will waste one of our wins come playoff selection time.