PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Streak Ends

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2017, 08:33 AM
I think it was mentioned earlier but the NCAA's SRS with 12/14 at-large's correct ended the AGS Poll's 6 or 7 year streak (11/14 this year) as the most accurate predictor of the FCS at-large pool.

All this means is I'll have to come out of retirement next year & resume voting.

kalm
November 20th, 2017, 08:37 AM
I think it was mentioned earlier but the NCAA's SRS with 12/14 at-large's correct ended the AGS Poll's 6 or 7 year streak (11/14 this year) as the most accurate predictor of the FCS at-large pool.

All this means is I'll have to come out of retirement next year & resume voting.

The SRS IS the NCAA. Collusion!

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 08:37 AM

The SRS did project one additional at-large team than what the AGS Poll had but the seeds we're way off from the SRS rankings whereas AGS very nearly nailed them. I'd say the AGS Poll did slightly better projecting the bracket when you figure in how the seeds worked out and how far out the lowest ranked at-large teams that got in were projected to be in both the AGS poll and the SRS.

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2017, 08:39 AM
The SRS did project one additional at-large team than what the AGS Poll had but the seeds we're way off from the SRS rankings whereas AGS very nearly nailed them. I'd say the AGS Poll did slightly better projecting the bracket when you figure in how the seeds worked out and how far out the lowest ranked at-large teams that got in were projected to be in both the AGS poll and the SRS.

That's all true but the bottom line was the SRS got 12 & the AGS Poll got 11. We never talked about getting seeds correct before, that can be a project for someone else, but before yesterday the AGS Poll had ruled the roost for years.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2017, 08:43 AM
That's all true but the bottom line was the SRS got 12 & the AGS Poll got 11. We never talked about getting seeds correct before, that can be a project for someone else, but before yesterday the AGS Poll had ruled the roost for years.
Fair enough. We can only hope that next year the committee does better. :D

kalm
November 20th, 2017, 08:51 AM

You do know that the SRS IS the NCAA, right? It's also deeply flawed. xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
November 20th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Fair enough. We can only hope that next year the committee does better. :D

This guy knows what's up.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 04:41 PM

Shoulda used my poll.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 11:29 PM
One thing though, we did have 13 playoff teams ranked in the preseason AGS poll. Four more receiving votes Not sure if that is good or just mediocre as a season prediction.

Coaches poll had 12 playoff teams in its preseason top 25 and 5 more receiving votes.

Stats had 12 in their top 25 and 5 more receiving votes.

Athlon had 12 and 5 as well.

Massey had 13 in the top 25 and 5 more in the top 40.

Sagarin had 13 in its top 25 and 4 more in its top 40.

So we all pretty much had 17 of the 24 teams with Massey having one more. So I guess we did on par with everyone else.

The playoff teams not in the AGS preseason poll were CCSU, Furman, Elon, Monmouth, Kennesaw, Nicholls, and Stony Brook.

Eligible teams in the AGS preseason top 25 that are no where to be seen in the playoffs include E Wash, Richmond, Villanova, YSU, ND, UTC, The Citadel, CSU, Ill St, Cal Poly, Fordam, and Albany.

Just interesting to compare how we did at the beginning of the season. Yes I am bored.