PDA

View Full Version : TTU's Head Coach Is Out

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2017, 06:18 PM
http://herald-citizen.com/stories/satterfield-has-been-relieved-of-his-duties-as-football-coach-at-tech,24446

I'm shocked. Have no idea who they go after now... 5-6 in year #1, 1-10 this year... Other off-the-field issues going on, too, I hear.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Yeah Satterfield was a failed experiment.

Get someone good and young and pull an Austin Peay.

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Yeah Satterfield was a failed experiment.

Get someone good and young and pull an Austin Peay.

Well, Satterfield was/is young and initially, I 'bought in,' and liked what he was trying to do... but, hard to recover from running everyone off, having off the field issues and of course, ultimately, going 1-10 with really only a chance to win one, maybe 2 other games.

JSUSoutherner
November 19th, 2017, 06:33 PM
Well, Satterfield was/is young and initially, I 'bought in,' and liked what he was trying to do... but, hard to recover from running everyone off, having off the field issues and of course, ultimately, going 1-10 with really only a chance to win one, maybe 2 other games.
The thing that stuck out to me about him was the way he carried himself. He never seemed like an energizing guy and I think it reflected in the way TTU played.

In his press conference after we played you guys he looked like he had been drug to hell and back and kept blaming the gameplan and saying "he had to get better". I think things like that just didn't help him lead the team effectively.

Even in a loss, Healy is up-beat and energetic. He's got a good eye on what and how things need to be addressed. IMO, TTU should keep those things in mind and look around to see what can work at Tech. A Healy type guy (not exactly his experience, but more his personality) I think could really breathe some life into the Tech program.

Watson Brown and Satterfield weren't exactly a breath of fresh air.

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2017, 07:17 PM
The thing that stuck out to me about him was the way he carried himself. He never seemed like an energizing guy and I think it reflected in the way TTU played.

In his press conference after we played you guys he looked like he had been drug to hell and back and kept blaming the gameplan and saying "he had to get better". I think things like that just didn't help him lead the team effectively.

Even in a loss, Healy is up-beat and energetic. He's got a good eye on what and how things need to be addressed. IMO, TTU should keep those things in mind and look around to see what can work at Tech. A Healy type guy (not exactly his experience, but more his personality) I think could really breathe some life into the Tech program.

Watson Brown and Satterfield weren't exactly a breath of fresh air.

I agree completely about what you wrote regarding his demeanor regarding press conferences. He always seemed miserable in interviews, coach's show, etc.,
I usually don't care about that type of thing - whether you are a overly-cordial guy, a hard @ss, or whatever - but damn, win games. Be competitive. He seemed to be too focused on coming up with slogans and a 'Brand,' but ran a bunch of people off. TTU started TWO seniors on offense and THREE on defense. Majority of players were Fresh or Sophs.... If people stick around, the next coach might have something to work with...
One LAST time regarding Watson: it WAS a great hire, he got a LOT of money into TTU - really helped with scheduling and exposure, won a title in 2011, but then, he mailed it in..., in my opinion.
Good luck in the playoffs to JSU!

Cocky
November 19th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Will Hall - West Georgia maybe a good fit.
Jody Wright - University of Alabama would be another good one.

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2017, 07:30 PM
I wanted Hall 2 years ago... I thought he left and went to a Sun Belt school as a coordinator or something...

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted Hall 2 years ago... I thought he left and went to a Sun Belt school as a coordinator or something...

Cocky
November 19th, 2017, 07:31 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure but I thought he was still in Carrollton.

jsualumnus
November 19th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Hall went to UL-Lafayette as an OC... He makes too much money to take a step back.

TTUEagles
November 20th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Yes, and pretty sure TTU doesn't pay that much. Hoping to get someone who wants to use it as a springboard: come in for 3 years, and go on up the coaching ladder.

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Yes, and pretty sure TTU doesn't pay that much. Hoping to get someone who wants to use it as a springboard: come in for 3 years, and go on up the coaching ladder.
We'll make you a trade.

If Dontez Byrd grad-transfers to JSU we'll send one of our equipment managers to be the TTU head coach. He can give out stickers to kids who score TDs. :D

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2017, 08:35 AM
How much of that Watson Brown Money is TTU using to pay Satt to leave? I get cutting losses, but it is hard to recover from those type of losses at our level. It is the balance of which is more harmful t the program, two more losing seasons (assuming a 4 yr contract) or the cost of a buyout....plus the intangible of other potential coaches looking at the fact that you barely gave the last guy a chance. I really don't know the answer, but I know getting rid of a guy after two seasons has additional implications and shouldn't be done without some hard thought. I hope TTU can pull in a winner.

mamberso
November 20th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Any chance TTU can pull Chadwell from Coastal? Or if you are really feeling lucky, how about being the first stop on the Hugh Freeze rehabilitation tour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTUEagles
November 20th, 2017, 10:57 AM
How much of that Watson Brown Money is TTU using to pay Satt to leave? I get cutting losses, but it is hard to recover from those type of losses at our level. It is the balance of which is more harmful t the program, two more losing seasons (assuming a 4 yr contract) or the cost of a buyout....plus the intangible of other potential coaches looking at the fact that you barely gave the last guy a chance. I really don't know the answer, but I know getting rid of a guy after two seasons has additional implications and shouldn't be done without some hard thought. I hope TTU can pull in a winner.

What I'm hearing (and, please note, only from 2 other people and it's what THEY heard, so it's confusing and probably hearsay) is this wasn't JUST a firing based upon 1-10 this season. Other factors, including Coach's suspension back in the off season, are in play. I think this was an agreement to part ways - some say coach wasn't real happy here, anyway. As discussed in earlier posts, he looked miserable to me on camera, but I guess 1-10 would do that to anyone.
Also, Watson retired and contract was not renewed, so no more Watson money was being paid (I think). A couple of people I talk to thought Satterfield should go during this season, but I always said TTU could never afford to fire a coach this early - so, I'm totally stunned here - and because they did, it makes me think there is a reason they are not paying him to go away... Just my thoughts...

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Any chance TTU can pull Chadwell from Coastal? Or if you are really feeling lucky, how about being the first stop on the Hugh Freeze rehabilitation tour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Might as well throw Les Miles, Chip Kelly, and Art Briles up on that list too.

TTUEagles
November 20th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I'll take Butch Jones...
Really hoping for Corey Chamblin, though. Doubt it will happen...

TTUEagles
November 20th, 2017, 11:45 AM
John Gruden was seen eating at the Chik-fil-A today in Cookeville!!!!!

JSUSoutherner
November 20th, 2017, 12:30 PM
It's happening

Milktruck74
November 20th, 2017, 02:10 PM
What I'm hearing (and, please note, only from 2 other people and it's what THEY heard, so it's confusing and probably hearsay) is this wasn't JUST a firing based upon 1-10 this season. Other factors, including Coach's suspension back in the off season, are in play. I think this was an agreement to part ways - some say coach wasn't real happy here, anyway. As discussed in earlier posts, he looked miserable to me on camera, but I guess 1-10 would do that to anyone.
Also, Watson retired and contract was not renewed, so no more Watson money was being paid (I think). A couple of people I talk to thought Satterfield should go during this season, but I always said TTU could never afford to fire a coach this early - so, I'm totally stunned here - and because they did, it makes me think there is a reason they are not paying him to go away... Just my thoughts...

My original comment was about the money he brought into the system, not a pay out... You make good points about the "other issues" that may have caused a mutual voiding of the contract. I guess the word on that would be out in the coaching circles and it won't look so bad to guys that are coming in....if he left (kinda on his own), than incoming coaches can probably look past that. I really hope you guys get a solid coach, and we can develop this rivalry...I think strong rivalries are good for everybody!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take Butch Jones...

You can do better than this!!!!

TTUEagles
November 20th, 2017, 02:26 PM
My original comment was about the money he brought into the system, not a pay out...

Ah. I got it... I think we open at Chattanooga next year...right? This game should be played every year, given how close the schools are...

UNIFanSince1983
November 20th, 2017, 02:58 PM

#GRUMORS

- - - Updated - - -

BTW want some sweet entertainment check out /r/cfb and the coaching carousel thread.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 21st, 2017, 06:52 AM
I'll take Butch Jones...

You can have Butch Jones and take Bob Shoop with him as his DC. You can take the entire UT coaching staff (less Robert Gillespie) for all I care.

Cocky
November 21st, 2017, 08:31 AM
Wright would be a good option who would probably leave Bama. He is running the recruiting operations and my most accounts does a decent job getting talent.