PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NCAA Simple Ratings System (SRS) Released

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2017, 11:57 AM
All I've ever heard the committee chair say this ranking system is used for is for determining SOS but it is interesting to see how this may have affected their more controversial selections.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

Autos in Blue
At larges in Green
Ineligible in Red

1. James Madison
2. North Dakota St
3. South Dakota St
4. Southern Utah
5. Central Arkansas
6. Jacksonville St
7. Weber St
8. Yale
9. Western Illinois
10. Sam Houston St
11. Stony Brook
12. NC A&T
13. Samford
14. Kennesaw St
15. Furman
16. UNI
17. Wofford
18. South Dakota
19. McNeese
20. Elon
21. Delaware
22. Northern Arizona
23. Monmouth
24. Eastern Washington
25. Richmond
26. Youngstown St
27. Grambling
28. Nicholls St
29. Illinois St
30. Montana
31. New Hampshire
32. Sacramento St
33. Dartmouth
34. Columbia
35. Central Connecticut St
36. Austin Peay
37. Bethune-Cookman
38. Mercer
39. Southeastern Louisiana
40. San Diego
76. Lehigh

Honestly the ranking as a whole looks quite a bit better than it has in previous years. There's still some eyebrow raisers (Yale at 8???) but this was really bad a few years ago when they first started using it.

centennial
November 19th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Even the NCAA ratings don't justify the pick-

31. New Hampshire

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Is everyone sandbagging for UNH? Because if CCSU pulls off the upset, I don't want to hear how we got an easy first round game ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2017, 12:07 PM

31. New Hampshire

No way should UNH be in....xcoffeex

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Is everyone sandbagging for UNH? Because if CCSU pulls off the upset, I don't want to hear how we got an easy first round game ;)

If you lose we will know how week you really are...

centennial
November 19th, 2017, 12:10 PM
CCSU lost 59-9 to YSU.

I have no expectations from either team. Good luck in the playoffs.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2017, 12:12 PM

31. New Hampshire

Yeah this is a real headscratcher.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Yeah this is a real headscratcher.
What's even more head scratching is they somehow ranked UNH higher than USD because USD was among the last 2 in and UNH was not.

centennial
November 19th, 2017, 12:18 PM
What's even more head scratching is they somehow ranked UNH higher than USD because USD was among the last 2 in and UNH was not.

Marty Scarano

Schism55
November 19th, 2017, 12:19 PM
And Wofford got a seed how exactly???

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2017, 12:19 PM

They say money does not influence their decision, well they lied and they lied hard. I feel like they kept Montana just to ensure that argument could not be made, but more importantly, it saves money to send a bus trip for CCSU vs UNH.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2017, 12:34 PM
They say money does not influence their decision, well they lied and they lied hard. I feel like they kept Montana just to ensure that argument could not be made, but more importantly, it saves money to send a bus trip for CCSU vs UNH.
Meh... CCSU was bussing distance to Stony Brook, who is matched up with Lehigh, and Lehigh is bussing distance to Monmouth who is getting flown to UNI. It didn't save them anything to put UNH in the field.

iBOsbu
November 19th, 2017, 12:37 PM
How do they make up the selection committee? How long do they sit in the committee? does it rotate? How often? How do we get our AD in?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Meh... CCSU was bussing distance to Stony Brook, who is matched up with Lehigh, and Lehigh is bussing distance to Monmouth who is getting flown to UNI. It didn't save them anything to put UNH in the field.

Sometimes people don't think things through too much and just let the theories fly I guess. For instance you are gonna leave one team out and one team in to prove you are not doing something for the money but you choose to leave the cash cow out as opposed to the lesser of the earners....makes sense.

People just have differing opinions and sometimes everything doesn't line up the way we would like it but it doesn't f'n mean there is some big conspiracy behind every damn corner.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2017, 12:40 PM
If it was completely about money ($$ counts but so does politics) then Lehigh would be at UD. That would have been a big draw (relatively speaking). Likewise, Montana would be in.

This whole play structure is nonsense imo. The move to 24 teams and regionalization has killed it. Hardcore D2 fans complain about their updated playoff structure too.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2017, 12:41 PM

But they already made money by putting them in. UNH was a money game for the NCAA and yes, I am surprised Montana was left out.

aceinthehole

Yep, if UNH was left out of the field, they would have matched-up CCSU and Monmouth.

I think the issue everyone is having a problem with is "regionalization" not necessarily bracket matchups. If you took UNH out - who do you replace them with? Most likely Delaware.

The Committee wasn't going to have Stony Brook and Monmouth as the only 2 at-large selections in the Northeast region. That bid was coming down to UNH or Delaware (maybe considering Austin Peay) no matter how you look at it.

They weren't really comparing UNH to McNeese or EWU.

ElCid

Gee champ you have a real stick up your butt for Wofford don't you? How about they won the SOCON. Let that sink in and then get a clue because you are clueless. You need to stop talking. You are embarrassing yourself.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2017, 12:56 PM

We were ranked top 10 to start the season and remained consistent throughout (for better or worse) and won our conference outright. that's why.

But hey, it's okay, you don't need to take us or any Socon team seriously shhhhh

ursus arctos horribilis
November 19th, 2017, 12:59 PM
But they already made money by putting them in. UNH was a money game for the NCAA and yes, I am surprised Montana was left out.

Yeah, that 12k average is a real head twister especially when you consider it is probably gonna be down over the first weekend...that is some big money the Selection Committee is chasing.

Just drop that one dude cuz it is really not the sort of thing a thinking man would come up with.

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Yeah, that 12k average is a real head twister especially when you consider it is probably gonna be down over the first weekend...that is some big money the Selection Committee is chasing.

Just drop that one dude cuz it is really not the sort of thing a thinking man would come up with.

http://slideplayer.com/2381804/9/images/75/p%2Bno+%EF%81%8B+%28p2no%29%2B2+p%2B+Pow%21+Zing%2 1.jpg

uofmman1122
November 19th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I would say we didn’t belong, but I think we had a decent case ahead of UNH, so whatever.

EWU got hosed worse than we did.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2017, 01:17 PM
I would say we didn’t belong, but I think we had a decent case ahead of UNH, so whatever.

EWU got hosed worse than we did.

Not even having EWU in the playoffs is a real problem that makes no sense.

Schism55
November 19th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Gee champ you have a real stick up your butt for Wofford don't you? How about they won the SOCON. Let that sink in and then get a clue because you are clueless. You need to stop talking. You are embarrassing yourself.
Show me another post I made disparaging Wofford. I'll wait.... Or I'll save you the time, I haven't made any. I've definitely made plenty about Furman and how they don't deserve to be in.
Much love for teams that run version of the veer/option ;)

Schism55
November 19th, 2017, 01:22 PM
We were ranked top 10 to start the season and remained consistent throughout (for better or worse) and won our conference outright. that's why.

But hey, it's okay, you don't need to take us or any Socon team seriously shhhhh
I asked in this thread specifically because the committee has said in the past that this is a very important metric to them.
If that's the case its obvious to ask about Wofford/New Hampshire and where they are in the field, thats all ;)

caa51
November 19th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Marty Scarano

Great AD, isn't he?

centennial
November 19th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Great AD, isn't he?
Yes, no one better. Maybe it's time for him to run for office. Tbh the 2015 selection was also as bad as this.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Did they have this ranking in 2013? I'd be interested to see where Lafayette would have ranked. 76th is even worse than I would have thought for Lehigh. That might be a record "worst".

centennial
November 19th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Did they have this ranking in 2013? I'd be interested to see where Lafayette would have ranked. 76th is even worse than I would have thought for Lehigh. That might be a record "worst".
The earliest way back machine entry is for 2014

https://web.archive.org/web/20150512023615/http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

Hammerhead
November 19th, 2017, 03:52 PM
Last year SDSU had the autobid from the MVFC due to a tiebreaker with conference co-champs after beating the Bison in Fargo and NDSU was given a higher seed. The SRS and Sagarin both have Samford and Furman ahead of Wofford.

IBleedYellow
November 19th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Last year SDSU had the autobid from the MVFC due to a tiebreaker with conference co-champs after beating the Bison in Fargo and NDSU was given a higher seed. The SRS and Sagarin both have Samford and Furman ahead of Wofford.The Rabbit fans were furious about that too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
November 19th, 2017, 04:02 PM
The Rabbit fans were furious about that too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Eh, I would go with irritated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST_Lawson
November 19th, 2017, 10:41 PM
Eh, I would go with irritated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopping mad maybe?