PDA

View Full Version : Furman @ Elon (1st Round)

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 10:17 AM
This is will be an outstanding rematch of a regular season game that went down to the wire with Elon kicking a last second field goal to win in Greenville. Winner will play at Wofford the following week.
I have a lot of respect for the way Elon has turned things around this year just as Furman has, will be a great playoff atmosphere. I am expecting a great Furman crowd to show up for this, should be fun!

Kickoff: Saturday 1pm

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 10:26 AM
This is will be an outstanding rematch of a regular season game that went down to the wire with Elon kicking a last second field goal to win in Greenville. Winner will play at Wofford the following week.
I have a lot of respect for the way Elon has turned things around this year just as Furman has, will be an great playoff atmosphere. I am expecting a great Furman crowd to show up for this, should be fun!

Yep.

First thing i'll post is credit to BOTH teams. both came from nowhere to make the playoffs this year

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I think since their last meeting Furman has trended up while Elon kind of limped into the playoffs.

SU DOG
November 19th, 2017, 10:30 AM
I think since their last meeting Furman has trended up while Elon kind of limped in the playoffs.
THIS

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 10:30 AM
now I want to hear from ELon fans - do you all have any injuries? I will certainly share. Since we played youwe have lost our starting 3 LBs. Feel free to check our game notes. We list starters by game. The three we started the year with - Woodruff, Burch and AK(?) are no longer playing. That's about an entire LB corp. What has happened is we inserted athletic freshman starting in game 4 v Colgate and that started our 7 game win streak ! But we lost a ton of experience at LB that we had when we played you. We prob gained speed and lost experience. The new guys have been playing for 7 games

Otherwise pretty healthy but tough when one position takes that many hits.

How about you all ? Anyone out now that we played against in that second game?

Elon1985
November 19th, 2017, 10:40 AM
One player comes to mind, Summers...our running games since he went out has been, IMHO, serviceable but not nearly as potent.

It looks like it will be a great matchup and exciting to play a former conference foe!

woffordgrad94
November 19th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Why the hell are two teams that already played rematching in the first round? I KNOW they could have avoided this if they just put a little EFFORT into the brackets. Furman wins easily this time...Elon has no shot to beat the Paladins again.

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Why the hell are two teams that already played rematching in the first round? I KNOW they could have avoided this if they just put a little EFFORT into the brackets. Furman wins easily this time...Elon has no shot to beat the Paladins again.

y, most thought IF fu got in (see, I am not a guy who says we were in) - couldn't you give us KSU and give ELon to Samford? Sam played KSU - so I just realized your great point.. they went w two rematches and just a switch has none - that's serious regionalization. Yes, ksu v sam and fu v elon are closer but we are talking pretty close and now you have two rematches

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 10:59 AM
One player comes to mind, Summers...our running games since he went out has been, IMHO, serviceable but not nearly as potent.

It looks like it will be a great matchup and exciting to play a former conference foe!

Any OL, DL, anyone? I would be shocked if all 21 others are still healthy

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 11:02 AM

I don't know why, but I don't think Summers played the first go around against Furman (or didn't play much).

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2017, 11:03 AM
FWIW ESPN’s PFI has the probability of Furman wining at 79%.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 11:03 AM

My guess is Samford and Elon are too far apart.

If Austin Peay had made it, I could have seen Samford going there and Furman matching with Kennesaw.

longtimemocfan
November 19th, 2017, 11:04 AM
I don't know why, but I don't think Summers played the first go around against Furman (or didn't play much).

Your are correct. 2 carries for a yard.

thirdgendin
November 19th, 2017, 11:05 AM
y, most thought IF fu got in (see, I am not a guy who says we were in) - couldn't you give us KSU and give ELon to Samford? Sam played KSU - so I just realized your great point.. they went w two rematches and just a switch has none - that's serious regionalization. Yes, ksu v sam and fu v elon are closer but we are talking pretty close and now you have two rematches

Elon and Samford are 499 miles apart, according to Google. Richard Johnson made it clear that they are bound by the 400-mile cap, as much as possible, when paring the teams for the first round. It seems this is the way it had to go if one of the teams wasn't need to fly out West or somewhere else.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Has Elon actually won a playoff game?

FUBeAR
November 19th, 2017, 11:08 AM
My guess is Samford and Elon are too far apart

yep...

7 h 27 min (497.8 mi)
via I-20 E and I-85 N

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 11:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6BltVorkE&feature=youtu.be

walliver
November 19th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Elon and Samford are 499 miles apart, according to Google. Richard Johnson made it clear that they are bound by the 400-mile cap, as much as possible, when paring the teams for the first round. It seems this is the way it had to go if one of the teams wasn't need to fly out West or somewhere else.

It’s all the MEAC’s fault. Traditionally, they have had a weak champion which was sacrificed to a SoCon team in the first round. The Celebration Bowl has ruined that ( not that A&T wouldn’t be a formidable opponent this year. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thirdgendin
November 19th, 2017, 11:25 AM
It’s all the MEAC’s fault. Traditionally, they have had a weak champion which was sacrificed to a SoCon team in the first round. The Celebration Bowl has ruined that ( not that A&T wouldn’t be a formidable opponent this year. )

We had the benefit of playing SC State first in 2013.

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Fast facts:

Furman all time in the playoffs is 18-15 with 3 national championship game appearances (1 title)

Elon all time in the playoffs is 0-1

Its great to be back in the dance! xnodx

cx500d
November 19th, 2017, 11:49 AM
It’s all the MEAC’s fault. Traditionally, they have had a weak champion which was sacrificed to a SoCon team in the first round. The Celebration Bowl has ruined that ( not that A&T would be a formidable opponent this year. )

FYP

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 11:49 AM
We had the benefit of playing SC State first in 2013.

CAA benefitted too. I can remember what seems like a few Hampton/Richmond matchups in the past.

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 11:58 AM
PF, Yeah, the Elon RBs were hurt a little in our game.

Elon fans give some information on other guys?

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2017, 12:35 PM
One thing that jumps out of the page is how much Elon is limping into the playoffs. Against "good teams" (defined broadly as teams with a winning record), Elon has offensively scored about 18 of 62 times on offense and has been scored on 22 of 61 times. Note: I don't count FBS games, for those of you who don't know.

the kicker is that a majority of those points or lack there of came in the last two weeks, against JMU (who scored on Elon 5 of 12 possesions and held Elon to 1 score on 12 possessions) and New Hampshire (who scored on Elon 3 of 13 possessions, while holding them to one score on 14 possessions). So if you're doing the math at home, you'll notice that 3 weeks ago Elon was about 16 of 36 on offense (45ish%) while 14 of 36 on defense (39ish%). Going a step farther, there's a slight regress for Elon's offensive efficiency as their overall efficiency (OOC + Conference play) is higher than their Conference efficiency which is higher than their "good team" efficiency (about 32% to 30% to 29%...I'll admit that that doesn't appear statistically significant to me). The kicker for that though, is that Elon started their season against OOC and played tougher teams toward the end (UNH, JMU), so at least minutely on offense there's some evidence of regression beyond just the scoreboard.

On defense, it gets a little bit more significant for Elon as the "good team" defensive efficiency is a solid 6-7% higher than the CAA or overall percentage, which translates to about a score more per game than the baseline (I personally don't consider variation to be significant until it hits about 5% because that's about a possession in the overall proportion of things).

Furman on the other hand has been pretty consistent (as has the socon overall, but that's a thread for another time). The one key point is that Furman's efficiency drops significantly on offense when playing "good teams," compared to the Socon/overall average, from 51 or 52% to 42% (which is still good, but again, that's like losing points). Furman's defense is consistent by all measures hovering around 30%.

So what does this mean for this game? I honestly still don't feel like I have a good read on Elon like (I think) I have with Furman. Part of me wants to look at turnovers, but for the most part turnovers have been pretty unpredictive for Elon's performance (they've won games losing the turnover battle, lost games winning it, etc). I know Furman will be able to run the ball and put some points on the board, but I still don't feel confident in the Furman defense.

I'll let the above analysis speak for itself, you can draw whatever conclusion you want from it.

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 12:42 PM
One thing that jumps out of the page is how much Elon is limping into the playoffs. Against "good teams" (defined broadly as teams with a winning record), Elon has offensively scored about 18 of 62 times on offense and has been scored on 22 of 61 times. Note: I don't count FBS games, for those of you who don't know.

the kicker is that a majority of those points or lack there of came in the last two weeks, against JMU (who scored on Elon 5 of 12 possesions and held Elon to 1 score on 12 possessions) and New Hampshire (who scored on Elon 3 of 13 possessions, while holding them to one score on 14 possessions). So if you're doing the math at home, you'll notice that 3 weeks ago Elon was about 16 of 36 on offense (45ish%) while 14 of 36 on defense (39ish%). Going a step farther, there's a slight regress for Elon's offensive efficiency as their overall efficiency (OOC + Conference play) is higher than their Conference efficiency which is higher than their "good team" efficiency (about 32% to 30% to 29%...I'll admit that that doesn't appear statistically significant to me). The kicker for that though, is that Elon started their season against OOC and played tougher teams toward the end (UNH, JMU), so at least minutely on offense there's some evidence of regression beyond just the scoreboard.

On defense, it gets a little bit more significant for Elon as the "good team" defensive efficiency is a solid 6-7% higher than the CAA or overall percentage, which translates to about a score more per game than the baseline (I personally don't consider variation to be significant until it hits about 5% because that's about a possession in the overall proportion of things).

Furman on the other hand has been pretty consistent (as has the socon overall, but that's a thread for another time). The one key point is that Furman's efficiency drops significantly on offense when playing "good teams," compared to the Socon/overall average, from 51 or 52% to 42% (which is still good, but again, that's like losing points). Furman's defense is consistent by all measures hovering around 30%.

So what does this mean for this game? I honestly still don't feel like I have a good read on Elon like (I think) I have with Furman. Part of me wants to look at turnovers, but for the most part turnovers have been pretty unpredictive for Elon's performance (they've won games losing the turnover battle, lost games winning it, etc). I know Furman will be able to run the ball and put some points on the board, but I still don't feel confident in the Furman defense.

I'll let the above analysis speak for itself, you can draw whatever conclusion you want from it.

Hopefully the Phoenix have lost some confidence the last few weeks, if so they may start feeling some extra pressure if the Dins can jump on them early

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 12:47 PM
I was wrong about Furman. Picked against them multiple times. I don’t think they are as good as people say they are, but here they are. They have earned their spot in the playoffs and are headed to Elon.

The Phoenix are falling apart. Elon has not played well in a while. That said, I think they will be pumped up for this first round game against Furman, a team they already beat. I think Elon wins a close game similar to this weeks game between Furman and Samford.

Prediction: Elon 31-23 Furman.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I was wrong about Furman. Picked against them multiple times. I don’t think they are as good as people say they are, but here they are. They have earned their spot in the playoffs and are headed to Elon.

The Phoenix are falling apart. Elon has not played well in a while. That said, I think they will be pumped up for this first round game against Furman, a team they already beat. I think Elon wins a close game similar to this weeks game between Furman and Samford.

Samford is better than Elon. Better on defense. Better on offense.

Besides, the week 2 game against Elon really isn't terribly predictive. That was a long time ago, and I presume Elon looks different today than they did then (Furman sure does).

It will be a tough game. For whatever reason, Elon has had Furman's number even going back to their SoCon days. I've lost count of how many close games we've lost to those guys.

whoanellie
November 19th, 2017, 01:30 PM
No Comment from the Elon side, We are just glad to be in the conversation and hosting a playoff game with our former Southern Conference affiliate.
(so much for sarcasm not translating on the internet).

WCU-Cats!
November 19th, 2017, 01:36 PM
good luck to the Paladins, pulling for all my SoCon mates

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 01:47 PM
https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/932279511986655232

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 02:23 PM
No Comment from the Elon side, We are just glad to be in the conversation and hosting a playoff game with our former Southern Conference affiliate.
(so much for sarcasm not translating on the internet).

Here’s to a good game

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Recap of parts of Furman's 2017 season:

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/916072558692323330

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/915179575113650176

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/919011019900497926

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/922212909849174016

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/925113657138216961

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/930049517927518208

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Early game. That could kill some of the home crowd’s vibe. If it was at night, I would have expected a rowdy crowd.

Just Kidding

AshevilleApp2
November 19th, 2017, 03:05 PM
I'll be pulling for furmansucks.

ElCid
November 19th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Recap of parts of Furman's 2017 season:

Dude you do know that posting all that crap is just annoying right? People who actually want to see it will know where to go to see it. And people who don't want to see it just think you are annoying. Save it for an I love Furman thread. The rest of us want to talk about the game.

knit35
November 19th, 2017, 03:39 PM
I'll be pulling for furmansucks.

I expect Furman to win, I’d like Elon to win being a fellow CAA mate however I was not impressed with them last week with our game vs the Dukes. Elon either will be sharpened by playing a tough end of their year with that schedule or will fold.

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Dude you do know that posting all that crap is just annoying right? People who actually want to see it will know where to go to see it. And people who don't want to see it just think you are annoying. Save it for an I love Furman thread. The rest of us want to talk about the game.

Back off, the only people annoyed by videos of Furman winning fall in the Furman enemies category, of which I could care less what those people think (ie. you).

I am going to post anything and everything I want to post, and enjoy the heck out of it.
You don't have to read this thread, go start your own Citadel off season thread lol, or just go to bed if you are cranky.

ElCid
November 19th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Back off, the only people annoyed by videos of Furman winning fall in the Furman enemies category, of which I could care less what those people think (ie. you).

I am going to post anything and everything I want to post, and enjoy the heck out of it.
You don't have to read this thread, go start your own Citadel off season thread lol, or just go to bed if you are cranky.

Thanks for proving everything that everyone thought about you. Couldn't have said it better if I tried. Congrats on truly earning your Furman sucks reputation. We can only hope Furman will fall off next year and you can go back to whatever hole you were in.

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks for proving everything that everyone thought about you. Couldn't have said it better if I tried. Congrats on truly earning your Furman sucks reputation. We can only hope Furman will fall off next year and you can go back to whatever hole you were in.

??
Like I said, cranky, you must really enjoy trying to pick fights with other people for no reason

ElCid
November 19th, 2017, 04:05 PM
??
Like I said, cranky, you must really enjoy trying to pick fights with other people for no reason

Just buttheads who post crap nobody wants to see. Get it?

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Just buttheads who post crap nobody wants to see. Get it?

Go to bed my friend

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Looks like Elon is trying to boost their student attendance for the game Saturday by opening up the campus housing early from thanksgiving break:

https://twitter.com/elonuniversity/status/932314899572842496

fc97
November 19th, 2017, 04:14 PM
We're not limping into the playoffs any more than we played an impossible team (JMU) and played at an opponent that rarely loses at home (UNH) back to back. Everything else has been different week to week with strengths and weaknesses. A lot of what Elon's done has been less on individual performances and more on team performances building a gameplan that's different every week.

Just happy to be back here. Would rather not have Furman for the opening round. Feel like the should have played things out differently.

They could have pushed Elon to play Monmouth, Furman to Kennesaw, etc and gotten everyone a nice game that isn't a repeat. Meh, its ok. Should still be a good game Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Elon is trying to boost their student attendance for the game Saturday by opening up the campus housing early from thanksgiving break:

https://twitter.com/elonuniversity/status/932314899572842496

Actually a pretty smart move.

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Smart move on Elon’s part. They could have the best crowd next weekend.

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 04:27 PM
I agree guys really smart move by Elon to try to get some students back on campus early, should really add to the atmosphere.
Ill be there with what will hopefully be a good size FU crowd. I was at SC St. in 2013 for the Dins first round playoff game and there was a great FU crowd there, this program and fan base is really hungry to get back to big time games again!

I am expecting a whale of a game, anybody's to win, gonna be fun!

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 04:32 PM

I’m annoyed by constantly posting of videos summarizing games that have already been played. I am not a Furman enemy.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 04:34 PM
We're not limping into the playoffs any more than we played an impossible team (JMU) and played at an opponent that rarely loses at home (UNH) back to back. Everything else has been different week to week with strengths and weaknesses. A lot of what Elon's done has been less on individual performances and more on team performances building a gameplan that's different every week.

Just happy to be back here. Would rather not have Furman for the opening round. Feel like the should have played things out differently.

They could have pushed Elon to play Monmouth, Furman to Kennesaw, etc and gotten everyone a nice game that isn't a repeat. Meh, its ok. Should still be a good game Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually a pretty smart move.

My guess is things were rearranged after the committee opted not to select Austin Peay.

There are two rematches in first round. If AP was included, Furman could have linked up with Kennesaw and Samford played the Govs.

I haven’t pulled out a map, but the only teams Furman likely could have played in round one were Elon or Kennesaw.

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 04:54 PM
I’m annoyed by constantly posting of videos summarizing games that have already been played. I am not a Furman enemy.

Say it proud PaladinFan, say it proud brotha!

The show will go on!

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Any other Furman fans on AGS joining me in making the trek to Elon Saturday?

I see where tickets are $20 sold through Furman, Elon also has $10 "grass seats" available for those that don't mind that style seating

phoenix3
November 19th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I think it’s an awesome pairing! Both these teams have something to prove. Former conference mates. Two hotshot new coaches. Both upstart from previous bad seasons. What’s not to love?! Hopefully we’ll have a big crowd.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2017, 06:05 PM
I like rematches. The fact Furman gets Elon and then, with a win, Wofford, adds a lot to the playoffs from the Furman perspective. Beat two generic teams and fly out to NDSU just isn't the same.

phoenix3
November 19th, 2017, 06:18 PM
now I want to hear from ELon fans - do you all have any injuries? I will certainly share. Since we played youwe have lost our starting 3 LBs. Feel free to check our game notes. We list starters by game. The three we started the year with - Woodruff, Burch and AK(?) are no longer playing. That's about an entire LB corp. What has happened is we inserted athletic freshman starting in game 4 v Colgate and that started our 7 game win streak ! But we lost a ton of experience at LB that we had when we played you. We prob gained speed and lost experience. The new guys have been playing for 7 games

Otherwise pretty healthy but tough when one position takes that many hits.

How about you all ? Anyone out now that we played against in that second game?
We have been very fortunate with regard to injuries this year. Efram Borders, DB, is the only one I’m aware of that played significant time against Furman that’s out. He had season ending shoulder surgery. Summers, while our best RB, was not a factor against Furman. Tereak McCray, one of our better receivers, went out in preseason camp. We have a number of nicks and dings but nothing serious unless it happened against JMU.

FUwolfpacker
November 19th, 2017, 06:37 PM
The wife and I will be there. Looking forward to a great game. Hoping for Furman win, but would not be surprised if it's another nail biter.

I have been a big fan of Curt Cignetti since he was at NC State. Hoping to send him into the off season this weekend, but I think Elon has the right guy (certainly a better higher than Sweepson turned out to be).

FUgamebreaker, do what you want, but you can count me in the crowd who doesn't care for all the recaps/links. I am no enemy of Furman.

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 07:36 PM
And I don't care to hear you guys complaining/griping about it like its some big deal, seems we are in the same boat xsmiley_wix

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 07:38 PM
I like rematches. The fact Furman gets Elon and then, with a win, Wofford, adds a lot to the playoffs from the Furman perspective. Beat two generic teams and fly out to NDSU just isn't the same.

True that, adds more intrigue than playing many of the other teams that are in this first round field for sure

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 07:42 PM
We have been very fortunate with regard to injuries this year. Efram Borders, DB, is the only one I’m aware of that played significant time against Furman that’s out. He had season ending shoulder surgery. Summers, while our best RB, was not a factor against Furman. Tereak McCray, one of our better receivers, went out in preseason camp. We have a number of nicks and dings but nothing serious unless it happened against JMU.

Id say FU is in a similar situation, a few guys dinged up during the season here and there, but all in all its been a good year for FU in that regard

FUGameBreaker
November 19th, 2017, 07:43 PM
Furman vs. Elon week 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqna_Fj-JZA

SU FAN
November 19th, 2017, 07:51 PM
great game this past saturday paladins that was one hard fought game, good luck to yall this weekend

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 08:06 PM

YT, I like the fact based stuff too - in the last meeting (you can just look at a box score) FU fumbled the first two drives giving Elon to short fields (30-40 yards). Granted we didn't stop them on either... and they were up 21-0 before the 2nd Q. Then fu dominated by jamming it on the ground and took the lead 31-24 ... scoring 31 points to Elon's 3 during the second and 3rd Q. Then they scored the last 10 points to win on a last second FG 34-31. Close game - probably decided by those two turnovers.

That said, I am fair - two drives of 40 yards (maybe 30) our D shoulda been able to hold one to a FG if we want to win despite the O fumblin'. But it was our worst start of the year. IE, objectively, if on a neutral field w no bias I would favor furman. I mean that. But only by about 5

Crazy stat - Elon is 8-3 and has a point differential that is Negative ! They have a total point differential of -41. Now If they played two FBS and lost each by 30+ I would get that. But they played Toledo and then their regular FCS schedule. Toledo killed em.. and then they won most games by 3 points or so... until JMU whalloped em. Furman point diff is +130. But, to their credit they win. Ironically, they are a lot like Woff in score only (not game style) - a lot of close games they win (credit on the W) w Furman probably their best win. (I would say Furman is Woffs best win since Samford beat Woff and Western is a good win but didn't make the playoffs).

Stylistically I don't like that they pass.. we struggled to stop them. Much like Woff we play soft cb and sometimes that gets us. But they struggled to stop us and that is before we hit our stride. We weren't running nearly as strong back then. I can say that objectively. I don't know if one of our big backs even carried the ball that game. IE, they couldn't hold us down like Ssamford did and that despite two lost possessions. Also, our pass D is improved since then. It is. We have started to figure that out some. Much better at run D (56-20 over Citadel) but improving pass D. One key is they come in losing two straight after winning so many. I don't hold JMU against them but 8-1 now 8-3 ..

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 08:10 PM

credit to Katss for admitting he missed on picking against furman and us getting in. good stuff.

ElCid
November 19th, 2017, 09:19 PM
It will actually be an interesting game. I knew Furman would get in and Elon was obviously in. The rematch was inevitable. Furman was obviously feeling its way in the first game. Spotting Elon some TDs early smacked of some of Furman's games last year. But they did something they did not do last year. They stopped the bleeding and fought back. They have obviously improved each game since then. Also, it was just a matter of time that they stumbled. It happened to be against an also steadily improving Samford last week. That game surprised me a bit. Samford looked way better than they had been. Last weeks loss may actually help Furman in the Playoffs by getting a dose of humility after rolling off so many victories. Not to knock Elon, but I think they will be over matched in this second game against Furman. Baring a meltdown by the Paladins, like turning it over 4 or 5 times, they should handle Elon pretty easily the second time around. I would say 34-20 or so.

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 09:38 PM

Man, like I said we lost our 3 starting LBs. Thats' almost an entire corps of LB! We run 3-4 d.

- - - Updated - - -

Other than that fairly healthy but all ours were in same position which hurts - check our D, we don't have a single Senior starting. Entire Furman D returns 2018 w exception of a backup safety. That's crazy w 23 of 24 two-deep returning on d

katss07
November 19th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Gamebreaker, I’m also okay with the recaps. I need to know more about this Furman team heading into the playoffs. Only watched two of their games all year.

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 09:40 PM
It will actually be an interesting game. I knew Furman would get in and Elon was obviously in. The rematch was inevitable. Furman was obviously feeling its way in the first game. Spotting Elon some TDs early smacked of some of Furman's games last year. But they did something they did not do last year. They stopped the bleeding and fought back. They have obviously improved each game since then. Also, it was just a matter of time that they stumbled. It happened to be against an also steadily improving Samford last week. That game surprised me a bit. Samford looked way better than they had been. Last weeks loss may actually help Furman in the Playoffs by getting a dose of humility after rolling off so many victories. Not to knock Elon, but I think they will be over matched in this second game against Furman. Baring a meltdown by the Paladins, like turning it over 4 or 5 times, they should handle Elon pretty easily the second time around. I would say 34-20 or so.

Yeah, the Samford team we ran into (senior day, playing for playoffs) was way better on D than I had seen in past games. ElCid saw us two weeks ago so he can speak w knowledge on Furman. Now, Elon may well have improved since the beginning of year also - I suspect so since both are young teams w new coaches

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 09:51 PM
The one thing that worries fu fans is Elon is a passing team. Look at us play Citadel or the like. Our D is great. Look at scores v Mercer, Samford or even a weak ETSU. We barely win (Mercer), lose (Sam) or have to outscore them w our run game (ETSU who ain't a great team yet).. Our pass D is the weakest of our 4 units. Run game is 1. Pass O is 2. Run D is 3. Pass D is 4. Example is early ELon game - they pass and won 34-31. Granted, we fumbled twice early but we still couldn't hold them to a FG on any of first 3 drives.. Took a while for us to slow them down. Then our run game took over and it went from 21-0 to our lead. Then they scored last 10 points to win by 3

UpstateBison
November 19th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Living in Spartanburg for 20 years, would like to see Wofford back in Fargo. As an outside observer, FU rolls Elon. Not impressed with Elon this year. FU has steadily improved. Wofford-FU will be a great rematch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpstateBison
November 19th, 2017, 10:10 PM
FUGameBreaker. Chill. No one wants to be that fan.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2017, 10:21 PM
i predict a big Furman victory

gofurman
November 19th, 2017, 10:24 PM
i predict a big Furman victory

reason? just curious if you have watched a game or... thanks

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 09:24 AM
FUGameBreaker. Chill. No one wants to be that fan.

Actually its the others that need to chill and mind their own business by not attacking another fan, scrolling past a post that you are not interested in is extremely simple, nothing to pitch a fit about. I do it all the time with Palafan when I see a post from him that is a 10 page essay about the game like he is the freaking coach and his x's and o's breakdowns really matter worth a hoot. It goes both ways, thanks.

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Weather for Saturday on the early forecast is looking really good atm, 61 and partly cloudy, you can not ask for much better than that for football after thanksgiving:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/27244:4:US

Terrier19
November 20th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Living in Spartanburg for 20 years, would like to see Wofford back in Fargo. As an outside observer, FU rolls Elon. Not impressed with Elon this year. FU has steadily improved. Wofford-FU will be a great rematch.

YESSSIRRRR....we are looking to make that trip to see you guys. WE have business in front of us to handle first, but we plan on giving you that opportunity to see Wofford up close and personal again.

Purpleglasses
November 20th, 2017, 10:43 AM
YESSSIRRRR....we are looking to make that trip to see you guys. WE have business in front of us to handle first, but we plan on giving you that opportunity to see Wofford up close and personal again.

first things first 19...FU needs to beat a team that beat us with 4 seconds left us, in Elon...
IF we win that...FU needs to beat a team that intercepted up a 2pt conversion with 1:55 on the clock, to win...

it is the Redemption Tour for FU...

we hope to be able to make it to Fargo...Terriers are small animals that do not tend to take the cold weather too well...we are only wanting to do a good deed for the safety of the animals, and take their place.

Samford, that was a great game on Saturday...well played, and VERY EVENLYMATCHED...we wish you the best for the SoCon this Saturday at KSU...

Terrier19
November 20th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Yep....we CANT WAIT to accommodate your 2nd leg of the REDEMPTION TOUR........we will be locked and loaded...and HEALTHY.......Oh BIg Mikel Horton is playing this time around......Excited for your return to Sparkle City.....Good luck at Elon this weekend....I want you guys to take care of business.....

Purpleglasses
November 20th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Yep....we CANT WAIT to accommodate your 2nd leg of the REDEMPTION TOUR........we will be locked and loaded...and HEALTHY.......Oh BIg Mikel Horton is playing this time around......Excited for your return to Sparkle City.....Good luck at Elon this weekend....I want you guys to take care of business.....

well this time we have a full contingent of players that did not touch the filed in the first game of the season...this should be a good one.
but again I am not Counting Phoenix before they hatch!

Terrier19
November 20th, 2017, 11:14 AM
well this time we have a full contingent of players that did not touch the filed in the first game of the season...this should be a good one.
but again I am not Counting Phoenix before they hatch!

For sure.....You got a good one on your hands. However, we fully expect our SoCon brethren to handle that business so that you can secure this date with your old pals from Sparkle City.....Looking forward to enjoying some good football on Saturday that we aren't involved in. Good luck....

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Again, I've seen a bunch of Furman/Elon games. We find ways to lose to that team in miraculous ways and have for years.

I would wager Furman was the favorite in most of those losses. I think the head scratching first started in 2004 or 2005 when Furman went to Elon and won 10-0 with Ingle Martin. I didn't think I'd ever see a team hold that offense to 10 points in four quarters.

Purpleglasses
November 20th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I just remember the size of the Phoenix...they were large like Samford, but not as athletic...but that is my personal opinion...
HOWEVER, they did enough to beat 8 teams this yr...so they are athletic enough!
I like our bracket for our team...this re-match, and the next possible re-match is built in motivation...
I like it.

PaladinFan
November 20th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I just remember the size of the Phoenix...they were large like Samford, but not as athletic...but that is my personal opinion...
HOWEVER, they did enough to beat 8 teams this yr...so they are athletic enough!
I like our bracket for our team...this re-match, and the next possible re-match is built in motivation...
I like it.

My recollection is that Elon was one of the more physical defenses we saw this year.

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Indeed CAA is always a tough league in many ways, so you know they are battle tested

fc97
November 20th, 2017, 12:38 PM
All I can say is, both teams are huge surprises this year. Elon's got a physical D and that D has played different for nearly every game. Same as the offense. The offense got a ton better through the year until we lost Summers and has been trying to complete a game since.

Where you passing defense may be your weakest point. Ours is special teams. Things that should be easy on special teams, we seem to struggle with. A lot of our close games have been due to special teams failure. We've had missed PATs, missed seemingly easy FGs, botched punts, bad field coverage on punts, multiple missed FGs and then game winning FGs at crazy distances. Its been a rough ride there.

Hoping that everything pulls through. I'd love to see a good game.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 20th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I can't remember where I got this information, but I heard Furman Sucks....read it somewhere

ElCid
November 20th, 2017, 12:55 PM
I can't remember where I got this information, but I heard Furman Sucks....read it somewhere

You are correct Sir.

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Elon coach Curt Cignetti named as coach of the year finalist, a little surprised not to see Clay Hendrix on this list but no biggie, he probably would be had we won against Samford for Socon title

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171120101853272812504

FUBeAR
November 20th, 2017, 01:15 PM
I can't remember where I got this information, but I heard Furman Sucks....read it somewhereYou have been misinformed by a filthy rumor promulgated by envious hospitality workers.

LarryBoy
November 20th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Any Furman fan who is comfortable heading into this game... remember this is Elon. Elon simply has our number.

Remember the 1999 team that throttled UNC, won the Southern Conference, and started the second (modern) golden age of Furman football? Lost to Elon in the opener.

Or remember 2011, when all we needed to do was beat lowly Elon on Senior Day to stamp our ticket to the playoffs? Didn’t go so well.

Or remember that we’ve defeated Elon exactly one time in the last decade?

I don’t care about the whole “it’s hard to beat a team twice in one season” or “we’re better than we were in Week 2” argument. Unless the final buzzer sounds and we have more points than the Phoenix, I’m assuming Elon is going to tap into that North Carolina voodoo that Furman seems to struggle so mightily with.

SU DOG
November 20th, 2017, 01:27 PM
The betting line currently has Furman as a 5.5 point favorite. Somewhat surprising line, IMO. Samford @ KSU is currently a pickum.

fc97
November 20th, 2017, 01:43 PM
The betting line currently has Furman as a 5.5 point favorite. Somewhat surprising line, IMO. Samford @ KSU is currently a pickum.

I think this is just a good matchup. Could be a blowout on either side. Could be a down to the wire nailbiter with either hitting a crazy FG to win. Its just a fun game to walk into with fans that aren't jerks and you can grab a beer with after. I always like Furman and Furman fans. Miss being in a conference with them

OL FU
November 20th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I think this is just a good matchup. Could be a blowout on either side. Could be a down to the wire nailbiter with either hitting a crazy FG to win. Its just a fun game to walk into with fans that aren't jerks and you can grab a beer with after. I always like Furman and Furman fans. Miss being in a conference with them

Switch that to wine and cheese and I'm there.

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 01:49 PM
I have added a poll to the thread for this game, have at it Elon, Furman and FCS fans!

SCPALADIN
November 20th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Any Furman fan who is comfortable heading into this game... remember this is Elon. Elon simply has our number.

Remember the 1999 team that throttled UNC, won the Southern Conference, and started the second (modern) golden age of Furman football? Lost to Elon in the opener.

Or remember 2011, when all we needed to do was beat lowly Elon on Senior Day to stamp our ticket to the playoffs? Didn’t go so well.

I don’t care about the whole “it’s hard to beat a team twice in one season” or “we’re better than we were in Week 2” argument. Unless the final buzzer sounds and we have more points than the Phoenix, I’m assuming Elon is going to tap into that North Carolina voodoo that Furman seems to struggle so mightily with.

Damnit Larry...that 2011 game was never to be spoken of again!

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Damnit Larry...that 2011 game was never to be spoken of again!

Lol yep, I really wanted to see what Forcier could do in the playoffs that year, but oh well

GreenGlasses
November 20th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Congratz to Furman. I thought for sure you was a year away from a playoff birth. What Hindrix has done in less than a year is simply amazing. Good Luck at Elon.

fc97
November 20th, 2017, 02:35 PM
I have added a poll to the thread for this game, have at it Elon, Furman and FCS fans!

Polls are silly. Neither Elon nor Furman was ranked until what, week 5? And now you want people to vote on the game outcome? No one in September either team would be in it, let alone this matchup.

wapiti
November 20th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Who is Citdog picking for this matchup????

kdinva
November 20th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Why the hell are two teams that already played rematching in the first round?

xpissedx

should have been Furman v. Kennesaw, and Samford v. Elon......

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Polls are silly. Neither Elon nor Furman was ranked until what, week 5? And now you want people to vote on the game outcome? No one in September either team would be in it, let alone this matchup.

Its a fun poll for people to make their prediction for who they 'think' will win this game, nothing more

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2017, 03:17 PM
My recollection is that Elon was one of the more physical defenses we saw this year.

Elon's defense is their strength and the above comment is precarious given how much Furman managed to score/how early the game was in the season that it left that impression

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Jerry Rice award finalist list is up:
Reynard Ellis, LB - Furman

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171120135831940841804

He's been outstanding at a position we really needed some guys to step up due to early season injuries

SCPALADIN
November 20th, 2017, 03:44 PM
xpissedx

should have been Furman v. Kennesaw, and Samford v. Elon......

400+ miles...was never meant to be.

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 05:02 PM

There's a couple like that....Samford/Kennesaw also

Reign of Terrier
November 20th, 2017, 05:10 PM
There's a good case to be made that if your school isn't/wasn't App State or Georgia Southern and you play in the southern conference, the playoff selection committee hates you

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 05:28 PM
There's a good case to be made that if your school isn't/wasn't App State or Georgia Southern and you play in the southern conference, the playoff selection committee hates you

They do like winners....

katss07
November 20th, 2017, 06:04 PM
They do like winners....

Then where is VMI?

cx500d
November 20th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Then where is VMI?

Who?

SCPALADIN
November 20th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Who is Citdog picking for this matchup????

Who?

gofurman
November 20th, 2017, 09:11 PM
All I can say is, both teams are huge surprises this year. Elon's got a physical D and that D has played different for nearly every game. Same as the offense. The offense got a ton better through the year until we lost Summers and has been trying to complete a game since.

Where you passing defense may be your weakest point. Ours is special teams. Things that should be easy on special teams, we seem to struggle with. A lot of our close games have been due to special teams failure. We've had missed PATs, missed seemingly easy FGs, botched punts, bad field coverage on punts, multiple missed FGs and then game winning FGs at crazy distances. Its been a rough ride there.

Hoping that everything pulls through. I'd love to see a good game.

i heard our coach mention that. You beat us w a 36 year FG in last seconds. Then you have struggled w FGs since...

gofurman
November 20th, 2017, 09:12 PM

right. We beat UNC 28-3 w Julius peppers! And lost to Elon.

gofurman
November 20th, 2017, 09:15 PM
Jerry Rice award finalist list is up:
Reynard Ellis, LB - Furman

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171120135831940841804

He's been outstanding at a position we really needed some guys to step up due to early season injuries

elon QB on there too. He will be a great Qb for years ...

FUGameBreaker
November 20th, 2017, 09:45 PM
elon QB on there too. He will be a great Qb for years ...

Yes I agree about the Elon frosh QB, but hopefully Blaze can hand this rook an early playoff exit, Blaze has been through so much in his career, glad he gets to taste the playoffs!

walliver
November 21st, 2017, 08:53 AM
It's a shame FU didn't bid enough to get a home game. I generally give the edge in rematch games to the loser of the first as long as it was a close game (I will use completely opposite logic next week) and FU wins by 10.

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 12:04 PM
It's a shame FU didn't bid enough to get a home game. I generally give the edge in rematch games to the loser of the first as long as it was a close game (I will use completely opposite logic next week) and FU wins by 10.

We are saving all our money for the Quarterfinals against NAU lol :D

fc97
November 21st, 2017, 12:11 PM

I know it is supposed to be bid based in the first round, but I am pretty sure that Elon and Samford are hosting the games that they are because the games were already played at Furman and Kennesaw this year.

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 12:15 PM
I know it is supposed to be bid based in the first round, but I am pretty sure that Elon and Samford are hosting the games that they are because the games were already played at Furman and Kennesaw this year.

Flip that for Samford vs. KSU (game is at KSU this time)

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 02:08 PM
Gameday parking map:
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/tickets/PDF-s/Elon_University_Interactive_Campus_Map_-_Google_Chrome_2017-11-20_17-32-08.pdf

phoenix3
November 21st, 2017, 03:26 PM
i heard our coach mention that. You beat us w a 36 year FG in last seconds. Then you have struggled w FGs since...
Yeah... Then there was that time when our kicker was the CAA Special Teams POW. So...

http://caasports.com/news/2017/11/6/caa-football-weekly-awards-nov-6.aspx?path=football

gofurman
November 21st, 2017, 03:37 PM
an Elon guy said the special teams including the FG kicker were up and down.. is that right or was I mistaken?

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 03:42 PM
Elon FG kicker is 15-23 for the season, that's solid for a freshman

phoenix3
November 21st, 2017, 03:51 PM
an Elon guy said the special teams including the FG kicker were up and down.. is that right or was I mistaken?
Yes that's right. He may miss a PAT then make a 46 yarder. He's both great and struggling, inconsistently.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 04:00 PM
Elon FG kicker is 15-23 for the season, that's solid for a freshman

Yes that's right. He may miss a PAT then make a 46 yarder. He's both great and struggling, inconsistently.

Missed all three at NH. Missed most of the long ones, got most of the short ones.

Made

Missed

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 05:39 PM
Missed all three at NH. Missed most of the long ones, got most of the short ones.

Made

Missed

True, looks good from 32 in, anything longer probably not

gofurman
November 21st, 2017, 06:00 PM

per espn- he beat us w a 36 yarder. Which looks to have been a better than average kick for him.

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 06:21 PM
Good read on the 3 SoCon teams in the postseason:

https://medium.com/@SoConJohn22/socon-football-2017-a-look-ahead-to-the-fcs-playoffs-and-all-conference-teams-ddbbeef91ee6

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 06:26 PM

per espn- he beat us w a 36 yarder. Which looks to have been a better than average kick for him.

Yeah, my bad, fat finger. Fixed now. It was 36 yards not 26. Still he looks good for mid 30s and down. Crap shoot above.

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 09:54 PM
Furman FG kicks to compare. I think the key data point here is that there are so few. Furman had a 75% TD rate in the red zone. If there is a weak point on special teams for Elon to exploit, it is in kick coverage. Furman does not have that bad of numbers for the year, but lately I think they have given up quite a bit. I know we had a couple really long ones against them. And I think Samford had a 37 yarder. Their Kicker is getting TBs about 40% of he time which isn't too bad though.

Made

Missed

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 10:00 PM
Furman FG kicks to compare. I think the key data point here is that there are so few. Furman had a 75% TD rate in the red zone. If there is a weak point on special teams for Elon to exploit, it is in kick coverage. Furman does not have that bad of numbers for the year, but lately I think they have given up quite a bit. I know we had a couple really long ones against them. And I think Samford had a 37 yarder. Their Kicker is getting TBs about 40% of he time which isn't too bad though.

Made

Missed

Bingo, over the past month at least our kickoff coverage has been weak multiple times each game, hope it won't come back to haunt us if the game is tight in the end

FUGameBreaker
November 21st, 2017, 10:35 PM
Nice!

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/933141240983326720

thirdgendin
November 21st, 2017, 11:01 PM

It's completely bid based and has nothing to do with where teams played previously in the year.

gofurman
November 21st, 2017, 11:20 PM

Made

Missed

Agreed. Citadel was best v our kick coverage. Granted, we kicked off a lot . But yeah, we have a weakness there. Citadel was best. Mercer did some damage there too. Something we need to shore up

ElCid
November 21st, 2017, 11:32 PM
Agreed. Citadel was best v our kick coverage. Granted, we kicked off a lot. But yeah, we have a weakness there. Citadel was best.

Rather we did not have that distinction.:(

katss07
November 21st, 2017, 11:38 PM
Nice!

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/933141240983326720
EKU?

FUwolfpacker
November 22nd, 2017, 05:38 AM
When I was at Furman (02-06), I feel like remember EKU being in it or in the discussion most years. Could be wrong about that though.

Would be interesting to go back and look at that a decade ago. Furman has only made it twice (?) in that time. Seems like JMU, UNH, and UNI have been in it every year since then.

JSUSoutherner
November 22nd, 2017, 05:57 AM
EKU?
EKU used to be hot stuff back in the day.

We just broke their OVC winning streak they set in the 90's a few games ago.

FUGameBreaker
November 22nd, 2017, 06:46 AM
EKU used to be hot stuff back in the day.

We just broke their OVC winning streak they set in the 90's a few games ago.

Yep, EKU in 80's and early 90's was really good

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2017, 06:46 AM
When I was at Furman (02-06), I feel like remember EKU being in it or in the discussion most years. Could be wrong about that though.

Would be interesting to go back and look at that a decade ago. Furman has only made it twice (?) in that time. Seems like JMU, UNH, and UNI have been in it every year since then.

I had not realized this, but this is only Elon's second post season bid to the FCS playoffs. I presume the last trip was Scott Riddle's senior year.

FUGameBreaker
November 22nd, 2017, 06:48 AM
I had not realized this, but this is only Elon's second post season bid to the FCS playoffs. I presume the last trip was Scott Riddle's senior year.

Yes I think that's correct, they lost at Richmond, they also still had Terrell Hudgins at WR

EU2000
November 22nd, 2017, 07:04 AM

Yup, the only other postseason trip was 2009. Not that it matters all much, but it was Riddle's junior year and Hudgins senior year.

Many have said Elon was snubbed in '99, finishing with a 9-2 record (first year in I-AA) . Elon beat 2 conference champs that year, one of which was Furman. :)

Really looking forward to this game, I've always enjoyed the Elon/Furman. I had a really good friend from Elon that went to grad school at Furman. Visited there a few times and loved the campus.....friendly people too.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2017, 07:16 AM
Yup, the only other postseason trip was 2009. Not that it matters all much, but it was Riddle's junior year and Hudgins senior year.

Many have said Elon was snubbed in '99, finishing with a 9-2 record (first year in I-AA) . Elon beat 2 conference champs that year, one of which was Furman. :)

Really looking forward to this game, I've always enjoyed the Elon/Furman. I had a really good friend from Elon that went to grad school at Furman. Visited there a few times and loved the campus.....friendly people too.

I have no explanation for it, but Furman struggles with Elon. Even really good Furman teams have struggled to beat objectively bad Elon teams (not in 2002, though. That was historic-level butt kicking). The games are always way closer than they seem like they should be, and something always happens late to swing the tide.

SCPALADIN
November 22nd, 2017, 07:40 AM
Gameday parking map:
http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/tickets/PDF-s/Elon_University_Interactive_Campus_Map_-_Google_Chrome_2017-11-20_17-32-08.pdf

Wow...what a mess. Any suggestions from Elon folks on how to best navigate the parking situation? I'll be driving 5 hours that morning and likely arriving right before kickoff...don't want to be driving around campus forever looking for a space. Thanks in advance.

fc97
November 22nd, 2017, 08:19 AM
Wow...what a mess. Any suggestions from Elon folks on how to best navigate the parking situation? I'll be driving 5 hours that morning and likely arriving right before kickoff...don't want to be driving around campus forever looking for a space. Thanks in advance.

With students being gone, I doubt there will be much trouble. I would try for McMichael lot or the one one on the right side, second from the top (behind a group of buildings). That's where I usually park. Its funny, I haven't paid much attention to 3 lots being removed recently. That hurts walking over to Rhodes.

fc97
November 22nd, 2017, 08:21 AM
It's completely bid based and has nothing to do with where teams played previously in the year.

I know that's what they say, I'm not buying it that Samford and Elon put in that good of bids.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2017, 08:54 AM

I guess just extrapolating a bit, but this will be two teams without any postseason experience on their rosters. Elon certainly wouldn't have any, as their last appearance was 8 years ago. Furman has three players (I think) that were on the roster during Furman's last appearance in 2013, but all three were freshmen in their redshirt year.

I don't know if that is unique, but it is just an interesting point that this will be a new experience for pretty much every player.

FUGameBreaker
November 22nd, 2017, 09:05 AM
I know that's what they say, I'm not buying it that Samford and Elon put in that good of bids.

Samford does not have a home game

SCPALADIN
November 22nd, 2017, 09:37 AM
With students being gone, I doubt there will be much trouble. I would try for McMichael lot or the one one on the right side, second from the top (behind a group of buildings). That's where I usually park. Its funny, I haven't paid much attention to 3 lots being removed recently. That hurts walking over to Rhodes.

Thanks...so if I'm interpreting this correctly, be prepared for a bit of a hike.

fc97
November 22nd, 2017, 10:22 AM
Thanks...so if I'm interpreting this correctly, be prepared for a bit of a hike.

its a few blocks. hopefully when the arena is finished we'll have lots mpre close parking

Sir William
November 22nd, 2017, 12:31 PM
Spoke with ticket office at Elon this morning...per them, the McMichael parking lot is a cash lot ($10 per car) about 6 blocks away across campus from stadium, but they have free shuttle service to and from lot to stadium.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2017, 12:32 PM
Spoke with ticket office at Elon this morning...per them, the McMichael parking lot is a cash lot ($10 per car) about 6 blocks away across campus from stadium, but they have free shuttle service to and from lot to stadium.

To park six blocks form the stadium, they need to pay me. Not the other way round.

Sir William
November 22nd, 2017, 12:38 PM
I feel ya. Only nearby parking they have is for booster club members. Not extraordinarily accommodating for a pretty nice D1 stadium facility, unless you're a booster or student. But I'll give them props for providing shuttle service.

EU2000
November 22nd, 2017, 01:09 PM
I guess just extrapolating a bit, but this will be two teams without any postseason experience on their rosters. Elon certainly wouldn't have any, as their last appearance was 8 years ago. Furman has three players (I think) that were on the roster during Furman's last appearance in 2013, but all three were freshmen in their redshirt year.

I don't know if that is unique, but it is just an interesting point that this will be a new experience for pretty much every player.

That is a very interesting point. Elon has a pretty young team at key positions.....

Cheek - true Freshman QB
Cyphers - Redshirt Freshman starter and one of the team's leading rushers
Weeks - leading WR & freshman.....

Interested to watch this game on Saturday. Hope it's a good one!

longtimemocfan
November 22nd, 2017, 01:38 PM
Again, I've seen a bunch of Furman/Elon games. We find ways to lose to that team in miraculous ways and have for years.

I would wager Furman was the favorite in most of those losses. I think the head scratching first started in 2004 or 2005 when Furman went to Elon and won 10-0 with Ingle Martin. I didn't think I'd ever see a team hold that offense to 10 points in four quarters.

Elon was good at doing that to nearly everyone. They cost us a chance to get a playoff birth in 2010. They got Furman the next year and I believe Samford scored like the last play of the game to keep from falling victim to Elon in 2013.

PaladinFan
November 22nd, 2017, 02:23 PM
Elon was good at doing that to nearly everyone. They cost us a chance to get a playoff birth in 2010. They got Furman the next year and I believe Samford scored like the last play of the game to keep from falling victim to Elon in 2013.

Sort of the good enough to concern you/not good enough to really believe you will lose type team

phoenix3
November 22nd, 2017, 03:50 PM
To park six blocks form the stadium, they need to pay me. Not the other way round.
I'm not sure what our ticket office considers the size of a block to be. It'll take about 10-12 minutes of a leisurely walk to get from McMichael to Rhodes. For those of you that remember, it's not as far as walking from the Rivers Street parking deck to Kid Brewer Stadium at App, plus it's all flat ground.

Sir William
November 22nd, 2017, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure what our ticket office considers the size of a block to be. It'll take about 10-12 minutes of a leisurely walk to get from McMichael to Rhodes. For those of you that remember, it's not as far as walking from the Rivers Street parking deck to Kid Brewer Stadium at App, plus it's all flat ground.

Hey, it's Thanksgiving. Our program has had a great year, with what appears to many more to come. And we're in the playoffs.

With all that good stuff going on, a brother still needs to gripe about somethin'! I want to be able to park next to the stadium and walk 3 feet. If you guys can't make that happen, well daggummit!! xsmiley_wix

whoanellie
November 22nd, 2017, 05:22 PM
Hey, it's Thanksgiving. Our program has had a great year, with what appears to many more to come. And we're in the playoffs.

With all that good stuff going on, a brother still needs to gripe about somethin'! I want to be able to park next to the stadium and walk 3 feet. If you guys can't make that happen, well daggummit!! xsmiley_wix You may take the Bio Bus Free from Sat parking they run all day and night

FUGameBreaker
November 22nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
Furman game notes and depth chart:

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2017-18/2017_Furman_Game_Notes_-_Stats.pdf

FUGameBreaker
November 23rd, 2017, 09:59 AM
https://twitter.com/CAAFootball/status/933463532959436800

katss07
November 23rd, 2017, 10:03 AM
Any Elon fans have any idea about what to expect crowd/attendance wise?

FUGameBreaker
November 23rd, 2017, 11:38 AM

Good question, might depend on how many of their students are willing to come back to campus on Saturday early from thanksgiving break

Elon has about 6,700 students
FU has about 3,000 students

FUGameBreaker
November 23rd, 2017, 12:23 PM
Fox Sports prediction
https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/fcs-playoffs-furman-at-elon-112217

phoenix3
November 23rd, 2017, 12:45 PM

No earthly idea. If not for the holiday I would expect a minimum of 8500. Likely more. Could be no more than half that with the holiday & students out of town. I’m hoping to get at least 6500 with the Furman fans.

thirdgendin
November 23rd, 2017, 09:49 PM
No earthly idea. If not for the holiday I would expect a minimum of 8500. Likely more. Could be no more than half that with the holiday & students out of town. I’m hoping to get at least 6500 with the Furman fans.

Playoff crowds will always be less than you hope for or think they are. Since it's not a part of season ticket packages, it only includes actual attendance, not just tickets sold like at other games. That's one guarantee of opening round weekend - surprised/griping fans re: low attendance numbers.

FUGameBreaker
November 23rd, 2017, 10:08 PM
Playoff crowds will always be less than you hope for or think they are. Since it's not a part of season ticket packages, it only includes actual attendance, not just tickets sold like at other games. That's one guarantee of opening round weekend - surprised/griping fans re: low attendance numbers.

Very true

Bisonator
November 24th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Ok I haven't read the whole thread but the jist seems to be most are picking Furman because they have been trending up and Elon down. Looks to me that both teams lost their last games to po teams but Elon seems to have had the tougher schedule overall. Elon won the h/h game at Furman earlier so why would Furman win now at Elon? I get the different teams/trending aspects but figured the poll would be closer then it is and wondering why most are picking Furman.

OL FU
November 24th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Ok I haven't read the whole thread but the jist seems to be most are picking Furman because they have been trending up and Elon down. Looks to me that both teams lost their last games to po teams but Elon seems to have had the tougher schedule overall. Elon won the h/h game at Furman earlier so why would Furman win now at Elon? I get the different teams/trending aspects but figured the poll would be closer then it is and wondering why most are picking Furman.

Because Furman's Fight song is better than Elon's Fight songxlolx

Won't get that one if you haven't been there:)

ElCid
November 24th, 2017, 09:30 AM

I think you already said it. Furman has been trending up...Elon down. These are not the same teams that met in Sept. Anything can happen, but I would be very surprised if Elon pulls this out.

PaladinFan
November 24th, 2017, 10:35 AM

Just my thoughts.

The first game between these two was in Week 2. That game hardly registered a blip nationally, as most everyone expected Furman and Elon to be rebuilding and not particularly good. I know Furman looks a lot different today. They have guys in roles. Players have more experience. They “know what they have.”

Also, (and this falls into “woulda coulda shoulda”) Furman spotted Elon 21 points early in the game. The Paladins fumbled at least twice deep in their own zone, setting up relatively easy Elon scores. After righting the ship a little bit, Furman stormed back and basically ran over the Phoenix for much of the rest of the game. The Paladins had a shot to win it late, but had some crippling penalties on their final drive, giving Elon a chance to win it. Elon, to their credit, took the opportunity to put a dagger in the game.

While I think this will be a really close game, I also think that the national perception is skewed a bit because Elon has won a bunch of games by small margins while Furman has soundly thumped a lot of their competition. Maybe the national audience gives Furman more style points. Style points won’t win the game Saturday, though.

ming01
November 24th, 2017, 10:42 AM
You look at the pod of Elon, Furman, Wofford, all fairly even teams imo

WCU-Cats!
November 24th, 2017, 10:57 AM
You look at the pod of Elon, Furman, Wofford, all fairly even teams imo

that would basically be my take on it as well

FUGameBreaker
November 24th, 2017, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGzpQCG68TM

FUGameBreaker
November 24th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Gonna be great weather tomorrow, mostly sunny and temp at 66

gofurman
November 24th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Just my thoughts.

The first game between these two was in Week 2. That game hardly registered a blip nationally, as most everyone expected Furman and Elon to be rebuilding and not particularly good. I know Furman looks a lot different today. They have guys in roles. Players have more experience. They “know what they have.”

Also, (and this falls into “woulda coulda shoulda”) Furman spotted Elon 21 points early in the game. The Paladins fumbled at least twice deep in their own zone, setting up relatively easy Elon scores. After righting the ship a little bit, Furman stormed back and basically ran over the Phoenix for much of the rest of the game. The Paladins had a shot to win it late, but had some crippling penalties on their final drive, giving Elon a chance to win it. Elon, to their credit, took the opportunity to put a dagger in the game.

While I think this will be a really close game, I also think that the national perception is skewed a bit because Elon has won a bunch of games by small margins while Furman has soundly thumped a lot of their competition. Maybe the national audience gives Furman more style points. Style points won’t win the game Saturday, though.

PaladinFan, I usually agree with you but I don’t see how we spotted 21points. the first 7 they drove the whole field and scored... they earned those 7. No excuse. Maybe you could say we spotted 14 w the two fumbles. SO we fumble twice on the 20-30 yd line and they score two TDs now they have 21. But still a good pass D could have held one of those two short fields to a FG. Anyway, not to nit pick but I could see we spotted them 14 but not 21.

Elon1985
November 25th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Find the reference to spotting a team any points silly...not as though it was 21-0 before the kickoff...Elon drove the field on its first possession and scored, got two fumbles and scored...good teams take advantage of opportunities...good teams also create opportunities. Furman played a great second half and took the lead, Elon fought hard enough to get the chance at a game winning FG and hit it.

All in all, I thought it was a great test for Elon and set in motion the turn around. To Furman's credit, back to back tough losses didn't send them into the tank...

Two teams that few expected to be here are here and I expect a really tough game played in perfect conditions in late November...gotta love it.

Safe travels to the Furman fans making the trip.

PaladinFan
November 25th, 2017, 08:19 AM
PaladinFan, I usually agree with you but I don’t see how we spotted 21points. the first 7 they drove the whole field and scored... they earned those 7. No excuse. Maybe you could say we spotted 14 w the two fumbles. SO we fumble twice on the 20-30 yd line and they score two TDs now they have 21. But still a good pass D could have held one of those two short fields to a FG. Anyway, not to nit pick but I could see we spotted them 14 but not 21.

Let me put it differently. They had 21 points before our team decided to get going that day.

Terry2889
November 25th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Let me put it differently. They had 21 points before our team decided to get going that day.

You could also argue that they had 21 points and mentally checked out as young teams often do.

Gangtackle11
November 25th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I’ll go with former Villanova ass’t & now Elon DC Tony Trisciani. We miss him @ Nova.

Elon 21 Furman 20

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I think Furman wins but it won't be as big as many think.

At the same time, I'd be more surprised if Furman won by 2 scores than if they won by 30, if that makes sense.

FUGameBreaker
November 25th, 2017, 10:52 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/934406317854167040

FUGameBreaker
November 25th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Good game elon, see you guys again next year!