PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel 2017/18

Pages : [1] 2

bonarae
November 18th, 2017, 05:06 PM
It's time to start this thread... since it is already the end for some teams for this season.

Alabama State and Holy Cross had already fired their coaches before the end of the season.

Now, Northwestern State did not renew the contract of Jay Thomas.

centennial
November 18th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Look out for the "inventor" of the fly sweep Bob Stitt.

TTUEagles
November 18th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Guess I can't be too hopeful for 2nd year-Satterfield to get the heave-ho from TTU

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 18th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Guess I can't be too hopeful for 2nd year-Satterfield to get the heave-ho from TTU

I thought this was going to be a good hire for TTU. Not sure what the reasonably expectations are for TTU though.

Go...gate
November 18th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Wondering if Bob Surace is in trouble at Princeton. The Tigers' collapse in the second half of the season was ugly.

Bisonator
November 18th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Don't forget NAU. xrotatehx

bonarae
November 18th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Does not really count because the contract for Souers is until the end of this season even though the decision was made during the season.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

mamberso
November 18th, 2017, 09:09 PM

Is this really happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTUEagles
November 18th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Is this really happening?

Is my being hopeful happening? No.

TTUEagles
November 18th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I thought this was going to be a good hire for TTU. Not sure what the reasonably expectations are for TTU though.

The expectation is to NOT go 1-10 and be THAT bad in a coach's 2nd year. He basically ran off the entire roster from 2 years ago, and I'm just incredibly disappointed and disgusted.

I feel TTU is trying to win/do something - upgrading facilities - as they have a master plan to tear down and rebuild part of the stadium beginning in a couple of months, add video board, etc. Hard to get too excited after this season, though.

dewey
November 19th, 2017, 05:16 AM

Does Stitt get another year since their quarterback depth chart was decimated due to injuries?

Yo Griz fans...thoughts?

Dewey

ASU33
November 19th, 2017, 11:47 AM
I look for Alabama A&M to let James Spady go in the next few days. You could also see coaching changes at Arkansas Pine-Bluff, Florida A&M and possibly South Carolina State(not likely though)

GoBlueHens83
November 19th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Delaware State Head Coach Kenneth Carter's Contract won't be renewed. They are also making a change at Athletic Director.

Carter was 3-30 is 3 years at Delaware State. That's brutal.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/2017/11/19/dsu-changing-athletics-director-football-coach/879043001/

TTUEagles
November 19th, 2017, 05:34 PM
Footballscoop.com says Satterfield (TTU) is out... I'm stunned.
EDIT: it's official, Marcus Satterfield out at TTU.

Go Green
November 19th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Wondering if Bob Surace is in trouble at Princeton. The Tigers' collapse in the second half of the season was ugly.

He won the title last year. Princeton had injuries that they couldn't overcome. Surace is fine.

Brown's Estes and Cornell's Archer are another story....

whoanellie
November 19th, 2017, 08:32 PM
with $12 mil in hand UCLA's Jim Mora was shown the door, available? just say'n.

TheKingpin28
November 19th, 2017, 08:35 PM
with $12 mil in hand UCLA's Jim Mora was shown the door, available? just say'n.

NAU maybe and that is a big maybe.

bonarae
November 19th, 2017, 09:39 PM
James Spady was shown the door... officially.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171119173355300547004&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

veinup
November 19th, 2017, 09:59 PM
montana AD says decision on stitt should be made within a week.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2017, 11:59 PM
Barnum at Portland State is probably staying. They did let the DC go, however.

http://www.goviks.com/news/2017/11/19/defensive-coordinator-malik-roberson-let-go-from-viking-football-program.aspx

Defensive stats were just atrocious, even for a Big Sky team.

ASU33
November 20th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Alex Wood out at FAMU
Monte Coleman out at Arkansas Pine-Bluff

kdinva
November 20th, 2017, 11:46 AM
John Banaszak resigned from Robert Morris...

LeopardBall10
November 20th, 2017, 11:54 AM
John Banaszak resigned from Robert Morris...

He never stood a chance. The team was terrible the last few years of the Joe Walton years with Banaszak as the OC. I know they had to give Banaszak a shot as the long term HC in waiting, but by that point the staff had lost the team. No other changes were made after Walton's official retirement so this was just a matter of time.

Silenoz
November 20th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Does Stitt get another year since their quarterback depth chart was decimated due to injuries?

Yo Griz fans...thoughts?

Dewey

Quarterback was probably the strongest part of our entire team

ASU33
November 20th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Rick Comegy out at Mississippi Valley State

ASU33
November 20th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Conell Maynor out at Hampton

kdinva
November 20th, 2017, 07:25 PM
http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Brad Laird the new man at NW State.....

grizband
November 20th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Bob Stitt is officially out at Montana.

Appears Jerome Sauers will be retained at NAU for 2018.

kdinva
November 25th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Georgia Southern hopes to speak with JMU's Coach Houston at some point.........per footballscoop....

walliver
November 25th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Georgia Southern hopes to speak with JMU's Coach Houston at some point.........per footballscoop....

Houston can do better than Statesboro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kdinva
November 27th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Coaches at Davidson and UIW both let go, per footballscoop....

Daytripper
November 27th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Houston can do better than Statesboro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How do you figure? He is successful, sure. But his resume is relatively short with zero FBS experience. That will give ADs pause.... Bohl had experience in FBS and great success on the field and ended up in Wyoming. You think Tennessee will come calling?

UNIFanSince1983
November 27th, 2017, 04:08 PM
How do you figure? He is successful, sure. But his resume is relatively short with zero FBS experience. That will give ADs pause.... Bohl had experience in FBS and great success on the field and ended up in Wyoming. You think Tennessee will come calling?

No but don't you think there is a chance somewhere like Memphis or UCF could possibly come calling or do you consider that too big of a jump too?

kdinva
November 27th, 2017, 04:12 PM

FWIW, Ga. Southern made their interim HC full time HC......after they won the first two games after the "change".....

LU808
November 27th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Barnum at Portland State is probably staying. They did let the DC go, however.

http://www.goviks.com/news/2017/11/19/defensive-coordinator-malik-roberson-let-go-from-viking-football-program.aspx

Defensive stats were just atrocious, even for a Big Sky team.

Joe Sterrett @ Lehigh - are you paying attention?

No one's D was more atrocious than Lehigh's over the last 3 years!

clenz
November 28th, 2017, 12:33 AM
No but don't you think there is a chance somewhere like Memphis or UCF could possibly come calling or do you consider that too big of a jump too?This.

Scott Frost all but admitted he is going to take the Nebraska job. Taking over what he built at UCF would be perfect for a guy like Houston.
Norevll at Memphis seems to be headed to Arkansas. Memphis is in a damn good spot right now, just like UCF.
Kiffin isn't long for FAU. That job is debatable as to it's quality, but Kiffin showed that a coach with "oomph" can win there, even short term.

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2017, 06:40 AM

"Coach Paul Nichols has worked diligently, but his contract will not be renewed at the end of this year."

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/news/2017/11/27/davidson-begins-search-for-new-head-football-coach.aspx

dewey
November 28th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Here is an article from the Fargo Forums Mike McFeely discussing the samething you did in your post.

http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2017/11/26/where-will-james-madison-coach-end-up-and-when/

Dewey

OhioHen
November 28th, 2017, 08:44 AM
So far, based on this thread, there have been 14 FCS head coaching positions open up during or following the season. Half of those are at HBCUs.

50% of the firings from just under 18% of the programs.

walliver
November 28th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Mike Houston is smart enough not to take a job at Wyoming. He obviously isn't going to get a job in the SEC, but there are decent jobs in the southeast and mid-atlantic.
Georgia Southern is a tricky position. If a coach is successful, he is out the door in 2-3 years. If he doesn't win 8-9 games a year he is run off in 1-2 years. The Eagles also are somewhat cash-strapped having to pay out the departed coach and are still dealing with a lawsuit from 2 former assistants who allege they were forced to sign a new contract and then immediately fired. Until things settle down a little, it is not an ideal G5 job.

Mike Houston has obviously proven that he can be successful with other people's players. He was very successful at El Cid using Kevin Higgins' players. the Citadel struggled this year with a very young team making young player mistakes - where were the experienced players recruited during MH's tenure? Maybe MH wasn't cut out to recruit to a military school. At JMU he is playing with other coach's players. To get a big time job, he likely needs to stay somewhere 4-5 years and remain successful. On the other hand, he has shown that he can do good things with inherited players and could quickly turn around a mid-to-upper level G5 program.

Catatonic
November 28th, 2017, 02:22 PM
So far, based on this thread, there have been 14 FCS head coaching positions open up during or following the season. Half of those are at HBCUs.

50% of the firings from just under 18% of the programs.

Add Larry Kennan at Incarnate Word to the list. San Antonio is a great recruiting base but UIW lacks facilities and the budget to take advantage of it.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/kennan-out-as-incarnate-word-coach-112717

Pards Rule
November 29th, 2017, 10:17 AM

What has been Davidsons best year? We used to play them (were they in original Colonial League before renamed Patriot?) in early 80s and it was always a guaranteed victory. In fact one of the three in Neil Putnam's last year in 1980 before Bill Russo brought aboard (wins were Davidson 27-20, Penn! 3-0 at our Homecoming and Merchant Marine 31-12).

clenz
November 29th, 2017, 11:01 AM
What has been Davidsons best year? We used to play them (were they in original Colonial League before renamed Patriot?) in early 80s and it was always a guaranteed victory. In fact one of the three in Neil Putnam's last year in 1980 before Bill Russo brought aboard (wins were Davidson 27-20, Penn! 3-0 at our Homecoming and Merchant Marine 31-12).
Based on winning percantage. Minimum 9 games played.

2000 10-0 (1.000)
1998 8-2 (0.800)
1999 8-3 (0.727)
2002 7-3 (0.700)
1926 7-2-1 (0.700)
1924 7-2-1 (0.700)
1990 6-3 (0.667)
1954 6-3 (0.667)
1933 6-2-1 (0.667)
1969 7-4 (0.636)

BEAR
November 29th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Oh dear...coach Campbell is interested in South Alabama..

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/south_alabama_coaching_search.html

Though it's unclear where they rank on South Alabama's wish list if at all, AL.com has been able to confirm through sources that Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, Central Arkansas head coach Steve Campbell and Missouri offensive coordinator Josh Heupel have all expressed interest in the Jaguars. Lindsey will coach with the Tigers in this weekend's SEC championship game, while Campbell's Bears are the No. 4 national seed in the FCS playoffs.

Daytripper
November 29th, 2017, 03:06 PM
Oh dear...coach Campbell is interested in South Alabama..

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/south_alabama_coaching_search.html

Not sure why he would be interested in that job...

BEAR
November 29th, 2017, 03:25 PM

Um...he was at Mississippi Gulf Coast CC for years and at Delta State.....or was that sarcasm? xeyebrowx

Daytripper
November 29th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Um...he was at Mississippi Gulf Coast CC for years and at Delta State.....or was that sarcasm? xeyebrowx

Actually, it wasn't sarcasm. It just seems like a lateral move, at best. Another successful year at UCA and he could do better.

Cocky
November 29th, 2017, 04:36 PM
FBS and money

UpstateBison
November 29th, 2017, 06:19 PM
5 year deal at 3x your current compensation is pretty tough to turn down. Just speculating on some these jobs.

BEAR
November 30th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Actually, it wasn't sarcasm. It just seems like a lateral move, at best. Another successful year at UCA and he could do better.

That's true. Joey Jones of South Alabama was making $525,000 a year guaranteed with a total contract of $2.9 mill. Plus incentives for bowl game wins, conference wins, and perks. So with So. Alabama..that would mean..base salary only with bowl game incentive..so about $550k a year. Typical 5 or 6 -7 year for USA. Campbell is making half that at UCA. But he's never had a losing season. That would for sure change at USA.

ST_Lawson
November 30th, 2017, 10:34 AM
That's true. Joey Jones of South Alabama was making $525,000 a year guaranteed with a total contract of $2.9 mill. Plus incentives for bowl game wins, conference wins, and perks. So with So. Alabama..that would mean..base salary only with bowl game incentive..so about $550k a year. Typical 5 or 6 -7 year for USA. Campbell is making half that at UCA. But he's never had a losing season. That would for sure change at USA.

So...take the decent payout now or go double-or-nothin' with another season and hope for a larger bump up in a year?

BEAR
November 30th, 2017, 10:52 AM
So...take the decent payout now or go double-or-nothin' with another season and hope for a larger bump up in a year?

Yeah that's the roll of the dice. UCA will not likely be as good as they are this year in conference. Lots of good seniors leaving but Campbell does know how to recruit so it won't be long before he has them back where they are now. Plus we have a road game at Hawaii in 2019...about the time the team starts a good comeback to national relevance. xlolx

LeopardBall10
November 30th, 2017, 11:28 AM
One season separated from coaching the Patriot League Fordham Rams Joe Moorhead heads to the big time at Mississippi St. in the SEC. Talk about a salary multiplier over a three year span. Was probably making under $150,000 a year at Fordham, jumped to over $250,000 this season at Penn St. (it may be more, but the PSU salaries were not listed in the most recent USA Today database), and according to some reports jumped to $2.7 million at Mississippi State (which would be about half of what his predecessor was set to make next season).

I think his coaching is ready for the SEC, but we'll see if he is ready to recruit against the likes of Saban, et al.

Daytripper
December 3rd, 2017, 11:57 AM
Louisiana Lafayette could be another potential landing spot for an FCS HC. They just fired Mark Hudspeth.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2017/12/03/mark-hudspeth-ul-lafayette-football-coach-fired/914953001/

Wildcat1997
December 3rd, 2017, 07:23 PM
Louisiana Lafayette could be another potential landing spot for an FCS HC. They just fired Mark Hudspeth.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2017/12/03/mark-hudspeth-ul-lafayette-football-coach-fired/914953001/I wonder if they go after any Lousiana Southland schools HCs. If I were them I would seriously look at Coach Rebowe. I know he hasn’t even won a playoff game but he’s turned Nicholls around so quickly and has them playing great ball, plus he knows Lousiana. Plus I think he previously coached at UL-Lafayette as an assistant.

NDSU Fan
December 3rd, 2017, 07:31 PM
South Dakota HC Bob Nielson offered the Kent State position per Football Scoop.

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2017, 07:41 PM

If he leaves, which I can't blame him, I believe USeD goes back to being irrelevant with the loss of him and Streveler.

CappinHard
December 3rd, 2017, 08:09 PM

This was just tweeted by USD's beat writer Mick Garry:

Bob Nielson has not talked to anyone from Kent State and there has been no offer, per AD David Herbster. You others squirm and fester as you might.

WestCoastAggie
December 3rd, 2017, 08:51 PM
Sources in the profession have mentioned a number of potential candidates for this one including Penn State defensive coordinator Brent Pry and successful FCS head coaches Lance Guidry (McNeese State), Tim Rebowe (Nicholls) and Broderick Fobbs (Grambling). Sources add that LSU offensive coordinator Matt Canada would like an opportunity as well.

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 09:02 PM

Bob Nielson has not talked to anyone from Kent State and there has been no offer, per AD David Herbster. You others squirm and fester as you might.

All I have to say to this xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

cx500d
December 3rd, 2017, 09:14 PM

Those kind of denials are confirmation its true!

Thumper 76
December 3rd, 2017, 09:30 PM
Those kind of denials are confirmation its true!

The denial came out QUICK

TheKingpin28
December 3rd, 2017, 09:39 PM
The denial came out QUICK

Was it Pablo Sanchez quick?

ST_Lawson
December 3rd, 2017, 11:46 PM

Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. I'm pretty sure my opinion on his "transition" two years ago is well documented.

clenz
December 4th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. I'm pretty sure my opinion on his "transition" two years ago is well documented.

It's also a very careful choice of words for a denial.

Bob hasn't spoken with Kent State. Bob.

Notice it wasn't "No one associated with me", it wasn't "My agent and I", it wasn't "There has been not contact from Kent State with us", nothing. It was "I haven't talked with Kent State".

That's a nice PR statement by coaches trying to avoid saying "I'm interviewing but don't want you to know." Coaches almost never have any contact with a school until the job is already "theirs" and they are doing a final interview to finalize a few things. It's all done back door through agents, runners, runners for agents, and even runners for runners to avoid a trail.

More applicable for the MVFC thread but life in Vermillion might get real rough again. Losing Steveler and Nielson in the same off season coming off a year where those two were the entire reason for the success - Streveler as the work horse and Nielson as the creator of it.

The only time a coach doesn't deny it is when they are leveraging a raise - see literally everyone using Tennessee to get a raise right now.

Professor Chaos
December 4th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Didn't he flip-flop a couple times on the way out of WIU? As in it leaked that he was leaving and then he changed his mind and told everyone he was staying only to ultimately accept the position at USD a day or two later?

goyotes
December 4th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Didn't he flip-flop a couple times on the way out of WIU? As in it leaked that he was leaving and then he changed his mind and told everyone he was staying only to ultimately accept the position at USD a day or two later?

I have no idea if there is any substance behind the rumor, but based on my limited knowledge, believe Bob will still be coaching at USD next season. With the early December signing period, rumors of a coaching change, whether true or not, could have a huge effect on recruiting. Not saying one program would plant a rumor about a coaching change at another program, but who knows??

clenz
December 4th, 2017, 08:51 AM
I have no idea if there is any substance behind the rumor, but based on my limited knowledge, believe Bob will still be coaching at USD next season. With the early December signing period, rumors of a coaching change, whether true or not, could have a huge effect on recruiting. Not saying one program would plant a rumor about a coaching change at another program, but who knows??
This isn't coming from a MVFC program.

This is coming from those extremely connected in the coaching world.

Stig isn't starting a rumor like this.

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2017, 08:51 AM

It's been a couple of years obviously, but here's what I remember going down...
- Rumors start up that Nielson could be headed to South Dakota...I believe as early as the Sunday after our playoff loss at Illinois State that year.
- Early during the week, he says something like "he's not been contacted" by South Dakota or anyone else.
- Shortly afterwards, he calls a full team meeting and tells all the players that the rumors are false and he's not going anywhere.
- The next day it's announced that he's going to South Dakota.

For me, I wasn't upset that he was leaving...I was a bit disappointed that it looked like a nearly-lateral move (slight pay increase and somewhat better facilities)...but I understand that at this level, successful coaches will get picked up by higher-level teams...it's just part of the deal.

I wasn't too upset that a bunch of his recruits then reopened their recruiting and shortly thereafter announced verbal commitments to South Dakota...I get that a lot of times, players have a strong relationship with the coaching staff and that makes a bigger difference than the school, locations, etc.

What I was upset about was that he specifically called a team meeting and told the players that he was not going anywhere. I started seeing tweets from players talking about it shortly after the meeting broke that evening. Then, when news came out that he was actually leaving, a lot of pretty upset players that were feeling pretty well betrayed. If a coach was considering a job change, I would think that it would be best to just shut up about it until news came out rather than specifically call a meeting to tell his players something that he had to know could very well have been a lie within a day or two.

I wasn't in his meeting with the players, so I don't know the exact wording he used...it's possible he did a bit of linguistic gymnastics and said a bunch of things that sounded good and were entirely the truth at that exact moment...but it seemed like the intent was to essentially lie to the players to appease them until everything was official. That's what left a lot of Western fans pretty upset.

EDIT - just a quick secondary thought...there was also a very much "botched" process of hiring a quick replacement...that's on Western though and resulted in a fairly high-up administrator losing his job and athletics being "reorganized" to report directly to the president. I was pissed about that at the time too, but that was entirely "our" situation and we ended up with a great situation in terms of our HC as well as how our athletics dept is structured (in terms of who is next up the "food chain").

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 06:24 PM
It's been a couple of years obviously, but here's what I remember going down...
- Rumors start up that Nielson could be headed to South Dakota...I believe as early as the Sunday after our playoff loss at Illinois State that year.
- Early during the week, he says something like "he's not been contacted" by South Dakota or anyone else.
- Shortly afterwards, he calls a full team meeting and tells all the players that the rumors are false and he's not going anywhere.
- The next day it's announced that he's going to South Dakota.

For me, I wasn't upset that he was leaving...I was a bit disappointed that it looked like a nearly-lateral move (slight pay increase and somewhat better facilities)...but I understand that at this level, successful coaches will get picked up by higher-level teams...it's just part of the deal.

I wasn't too upset that a bunch of his recruits then reopened their recruiting and shortly thereafter announced verbal commitments to South Dakota...I get that a lot of times, players have a strong relationship with the coaching staff and that makes a bigger difference than the school, locations, etc.

What I was upset about was that he specifically called a team meeting and told the players that he was not going anywhere. I started seeing tweets from players talking about it shortly after the meeting broke that evening. Then, when news came out that he was actually leaving, a lot of pretty upset players that were feeling pretty well betrayed. If a coach was considering a job change, I would think that it would be best to just shut up about it until news came out rather than specifically call a meeting to tell his players something that he had to know could very well have been a lie within a day or two.

I wasn't in his meeting with the players, so I don't know the exact wording he used...it's possible he did a bit of linguistic gymnastics and said a bunch of things that sounded good and were entirely the truth at that exact moment...but it seemed like the intent was to essentially lie to the players to appease them until everything was official. That's what left a lot of Western fans pretty upset.

EDIT - just a quick secondary thought...there was also a very much "botched" process of hiring a quick replacement...that's on Western though and resulted in a fairly high-up administrator losing his job and athletics being "reorganized" to report directly to the president. I was pissed about that at the time too, but that was entirely "our" situation and we ended up with a great situation in terms of our HC as well as how our athletics dept is structured (in terms of who is next up the "food chain").

USD was anything but a higher level team in those days...

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2017, 06:43 PM
USD was anything but a higher level team in those days...

No, but they were willing to pay him and his assistants more and had access to better facilities that we do in most areas. They're not "higher level" in terms of classification, but it was still a small step up strictly in terms of financial compensation.

Daytripper
December 4th, 2017, 06:44 PM
No, but they were willing to pay him and his assistants more and had access to better facilities that we do in most areas. They're not "higher level" in terms of classification, but it was still a small step up strictly in terms of financial compensation.

Much like Rocco going from Richmond to Delaware...

UpstateBison
December 4th, 2017, 07:08 PM

I would suspect more stability as well considering the financial situation with the state of Il....

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 07:20 PM
I would suspect more stability as well considering the financial situation with the state of Il....

He probably got tired of paying the skyrocketing taxes....Moving to SD alone was a big pay raise.

ST_Lawson
December 4th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Likely, yes. When he left we were in the midst of a 3-year span without a state budget. We didn't know how long that would go on for and what might happen as it progressed.

EDIT - like I said, it wasn't so much THAT he left. I understand the reasons why. It was HOW he left, or more specifically how he handled the situation with our players, that made people angry.

Bisonoline
December 4th, 2017, 07:42 PM
He probably got tired of paying the skyrocketing taxes....Moving to SD alone was a big pay raise.

And his check cleared the bank.

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 07:46 PM
And his check cleared the bank.

You got a point....It was probably getting hard to pay the rent and put food on the table with the IOU's

WestCoastAggie
December 4th, 2017, 07:46 PM
South Alabama: Austin Peay (FCS – TN) head coach coach Will Healy interviewed for the South Alabama job tweets Andy Staples of SI. Healy took over perennial “0 for” #LetsGoPeay and in his second year as head coach went 8-4.

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 07:48 PM
South Alabama: Austin Peay (FCS – TN) head coach coach Will Healy interviewed for the South Alabama job tweets Andy Staples of SI. Healy took over perennial “0 for” #LetsGoPeay and in his second year as head coach went 8-4.

Done deal...Golden boy with all the sportswriters...

Son of Eli
December 4th, 2017, 09:17 PM
Surace actually has a losing record with Princeton after 8 years, both in league and overall. However, with two Ivy Championships under his belt I don't think he's going anywhere.

Son of Eli
December 4th, 2017, 09:19 PM

Surace actually has a losing record with Princeton after 8 years, both in league and overall. However, with two Ivy Championships under his belt I don't think he's going anywhere

cx500d
December 4th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Surace actually has a losing record with Princeton after 8 years, both in league and overall. However, with two Ivy Championships under his belt I don't think he's going anywhere

Would you call the song "2 out of 8 ain't bad," or reduce it to "1 out of 4 ain't bad?"

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 4th, 2017, 10:05 PM

That's a shocking stat about Surace. Princeton always seems to be 5-5/6-4 at worst.

Go...gate
December 4th, 2017, 10:54 PM
That's a shocking stat about Surace. Princeton always seems to be 5-5/6-4 at worst.

Roger Hughes left the cupboard bare and Surace ran off a number of players his first two years.

RichH2
December 5th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Add Fordham to the carousel. Breiner leaving to join Moorhead.

LeopardBall10
December 5th, 2017, 12:11 PM

This is a great move for everyone involved! Moorehead gets his guy, Breiner makes a skyrocket jump to the SEC, and Fordham gets their national search for the best HC.

Again, I only hope Moorehead is ready for the deep south.

NDSU Fan
December 5th, 2017, 12:26 PM

UCA head coach Steve Campbell also a strong candidate.

BEAR
December 5th, 2017, 02:41 PM
South Alabama: Sources tell FootballScoop Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey has interviewed for the position and remains a candidate; but we also hear Central Arkansas head coach Steve Campbell is a strong candidate for the position. Stay tuned…. -FootballScoop

PAllen
December 5th, 2017, 03:12 PM

Good move for him.

PAllen
December 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
This is a great move for everyone involved! Moorehead gets his guy, Breiner makes a skyrocket jump to the SEC, and Fordham gets their national search for the best HC.

Again, I only hope Moorehead is ready for the deep south.

Why do I have this sinking feeling that a certain Valpo HC will be on the opposing sideline this coming season?

RichH2
December 5th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Why do I have this sinking feeling that a certain Valpo HC will be on the opposing sideline this coming season?

Oh geez, I hope not.

Professor Chaos
December 5th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Appears that Bob Nielson is staying at South Dakota and getting a hefty extension/raise despite not having any contact or interest *wink-wink* with Kent St regarding their open head coaching position.

http://kwsn.com/news/articles/2017/dec/05/what-we-know-bob-nielson-and-kent-state-reports/

CappinHard
December 5th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Appears that Bob Nielson is staying at South Dakota and getting a hefty extension/raise despite not having any contact or interest *wink-wink* with Kent St regarding their open head coaching position.

http://kwsn.com/news/articles/2017/dec/05/what-we-know-bob-nielson-and-kent-state-reports/

Man, if I was a coach I would find a way to pay sites like football scoop just to get a rumor out there.

Daytripper
December 5th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Man, if I was a coach I would find a way to pay sites like football scoop just to get a rumor out there.

It is probably owned and run by agents....

Cocky
December 5th, 2017, 06:26 PM
just send an email and you are in. He wont give your name.

crusader11
December 5th, 2017, 06:31 PM
From the Worcester T&G:

According to sources, Lee Hull and Terry Malone, both Holy Cross alums, are interviewing for the position this week, and HC interim head coach Brian Rock has also interviewed. Sources said Harvard assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Joel Lamb and Assumption coach Bob Chesney are also in the mix.

Only Chesney gets me really excited here. Hull and Malone do nothing for me. Rock being granted an interview does worse than nothing.

I was hoping names like John Loose, Dave Cecchini, or Tim Cramsey would have been in the mix. I also thought Kevin Higgins would be an interesting candidate.

Oh well.

WestCoastAggie
December 5th, 2017, 07:11 PM
NCCU’s HC Jerry Mack got an offer from some school in Texas. Anyone know about it?

ASU33
December 5th, 2017, 07:27 PM
NCCU’s HC Jerry Mack got an offer from some school in Texas. Anyone know about it?

I know he's close to an offer from a school in Alabama!

WestCoastAggie
December 5th, 2017, 07:27 PM
I know he's close to an offer from a school in Alabama!

That Alabama school needs to move faster than.

Franks Tanks
December 5th, 2017, 08:33 PM
From the Worcester T&G:

According to sources, Lee Hull and Terry Malone, both Holy Cross alums, are interviewing for the position this week, and HC interim head coach Brian Rock has also interviewed. Sources said Harvard assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Joel Lamb and Assumption coach Bob Chesney are also in the mix.

Only Chesney gets me really excited here. Hull and Malone do nothing for me. Rock being granted an interview does worse than nothing.

I was hoping names like John Loose, Dave Cecchini, or Tim Cramsey would have been in the mix. I also thought Kevin Higgins would be an interesting candidate.

Oh well.

Many of these names were in the mix at Lafayette last year.

Our final 3 was Garrett, James Perry and Lamb.

Loose and Cramsey weren't even interviewed as I understand. Loose apparently pissed off the AD when he was still in Easton by complaining of the HC at the time, and issues with support of the program. I was shocked we didn't give Cramsey a harder look since he is from Allentown, PA. These guys are ready to lead their own program.

Chesney is a great name as well, and he may be in the mix at Fordham as well.

BisonFan Spouse
December 5th, 2017, 08:37 PM

So are you suggesting that he would be a great offensive coordinator?

RichH2
December 5th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Not a bad group here. Higgins and Loose unlikely but would be great picks. Of the rest Chesney and Cecchini are IMO the best. I vote for Chesney simply because I dont want to face Ceech :)

centennial
December 5th, 2017, 08:47 PM
So are you suggesting that he would be a great offensive coordinator?

Could he? Yes. Does he? I don't really know. I have watched his CO tape, and some games from the griz. He does have a good scheme. His problem is adjustments, and adding in newer plays. The problem with gimmick related schemes is that they can get figured out. Ideally at a place like Cal, or Oregon with superior athletes he *could* get to the CFP.

malibudude
December 6th, 2017, 12:26 AM
And in the words of Chevy Chase…General Francisco Franco is still dead (lives). Coach Tim Walsh gets an extension after a 1-10 season and a mediocre at best nine year run at Cal Poly. You all remember we used to be pretty darn good at this confounded game?

Oh yep, we open in Fargo in September…that used to be special.

Daytripper
December 6th, 2017, 11:45 AM
SMU job now open. If a lower level G5 coach (Neal Brown at Troy?) gets a call, it could open up an opportunity for an FCS promotion....

WestCoastAggie
December 6th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Yep... It's getting more likely that Coach Mack from NCCU will become Rice's next offensive coordinator.

CockyGeek
December 6th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Will Healy being offered the job at South Alabama. Poor Austin Peay.

BEAR
December 6th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Will Healy being offered the job at South Alabama. Poor Austin Peay.

That's great news for UCA fans.

aceinthehole
December 6th, 2017, 03:59 PM
From the Worcester T&G:

Oh well.

FYI - I think Cramsey got an interview for the opening at Central 4 years ago, but in the end the finalist were:

-New Haven head coach Peter Rossomando
-Stony Brook offensive coordinator Jeff Behrman (now Union HC)
-Seton Hill head coach Isaac Collins
-Yale offensive coordinator Kevin Morris (now Monmouth OC)

kdinva
December 6th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Furman's Off. Coord, Coach Cronic, now the head man at Lenoir-Rhyne:

Lenoir-Rhyne (D-II – NC): Per source, Furman offensive coordinator Drew Cronic will be the new head coach at Lenoir-Rhyne.

PaladinFan
December 6th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Furman's Off. Coord, Coach Cronic, now the head man at Lenoir-Rhyne:

This surprises me. Cronic led one of the nation’s top offenses and was only in that chair for a single season.

He gave up a head coaching gig to join Furman’s staff, and maybe he’d prefer to be the top dog.

Go...gate
December 6th, 2017, 11:55 PM

I believe this is a blessing in disguise for the Rams.

PaladinFan
December 7th, 2017, 06:43 AM
This surprises me. Cronic led one of the nation’s top offenses and was only in that chair for a single season.

He gave up a head coaching gig to join Furman’s staff, and maybe he’d prefer to be the top dog.

Digging in a little bit, appears two of the last three Lenoir Rhyne coaches immediately jumped to be head coaches of FCS programs.

PaladinNation
December 7th, 2017, 08:22 AM
IMO… the real nucleus of the Furman program is Hendrix, Quarles and Staggs.
The up and comer is Brian Bratton. Cronic moving on - could have been a plan all along - just a guess.

I would expect Bratton to be named OC with Quarles taking the lead as QB coach and be a mentor for Bratton.

PaladinFan
December 7th, 2017, 08:26 AM
IMO… the real nucleus of the Furman program is Hendrix, Quarles and Staggs.
The up and comer is Brian Bratton. Cronic moving on - could have been a plan all along - just a guess.

I would expect Bratton to be named OC with Quarles taking the lead as QB coach and be a mentor for Bratton.

Bratton seems like an obvious choice. He's younger, but already has a lot of experience in the new offensive system. Allows another young coach to add special teams duties to his responsibilities and earn a promotion (Vaughn, perhaps).

I also think this is where the genius of putting Quarles as associate head coach/TE coach comes into play. Easily accessible promotion opportunity for younger coaches not blocked by a long-term legacy in the coordinator's chair.

BEAR
December 7th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Word is Campbell went for two interviews the week of the Bears first playoff game. In his post game interview after the loss to UNH he stated he wished he had prepared the team better for UNH. :pumpuke: F' that. xsmhxxmadxxmadxxmadx

Gotta wonder if there was some angry players that week. xeyebrowx

UCABEARS75
December 7th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Word is Campbell went for two interviews the week of the Bears first playoff game. In his post game interview after the loss to UNH he stated he wished he had prepared the team better for UNH. :pumpuke: F' that. xsmhxxmadxxmadxxmadx

Gotta wonder if there was some angry players that week. xeyebrowx

Not true. Coach Campbell DID NOT interview for any job before UNH game or any other time B4 end of season.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Not true. Coach Campbell DID NOT interview for any job before UNH game or any other time B4 end of season.

Seems we have competing truths...... Looks like their going with the Austin Peay coach anyway...

UCABEARS75
December 7th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Seems we have competing truths...... Looks like their going with the Austin Peay coach anyway...

No, only one truth.

Nor Eastern
December 7th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Jacksonville State just lost their DC to ECU.

BEAR
December 7th, 2017, 11:38 AM
From the UCAFANS board: (This is where I got he interviewed twice):

Beau
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 pm
Your correct on the Austin Peay coach being the front runner, however, they have interviewed Coach Campbell two times and there was a third time scheduled for today, but I'm not sure that happened.

If Joey Jones of South Alabama resigned on Nov. 20th, then if Campbell interviewed TWICE as stated in the post from UCAFANS, it would have been after that date. Our playoff game was Dec. 2. So about a week and a half before the game.

In an article posted on Nov. 28, the AD of So. Alabama said they had not had any formal interviews yet. So how did Campbell get two interviews between Nov. 28th and Dec. 2? If he did? http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/11/south_alabama_coaching_search.html

This crap is all confusing. He's a heck of a coach that deserves more pay obviously. But still can't say if he interviewed the week of our playoff game. Then where did Beau's post get its info?

OhioHen
December 7th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Jacksonville State just lost their DC to ECU.

Lateral move at best. ECU is a dumpster fire waiting to be put out.

walliver
December 7th, 2017, 12:17 PM

Hendrix is young, and not likely to move soon (although Georgia Southern may go after him when they fire their new coach in a year or two). To move up, Cronic needs to move on. If he is successful at L-R, he should be in a good spot for the Kennesaw job if Georgia Southern goes after Bohannon instead.

PaladinFan
December 7th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Hendrix is young, and not likely to move soon (although Georgia Southern may go after him when they fire their new coach in a year or two). To move up, Cronic needs to move on. If he is successful at L-R, he should be in a good spot for the Kennesaw job if Georgia Southern goes after Bohannon instead.

Right. I think Hendrix will be the head of the Furman program for a while.

Even though Furman's offense was quite good this year, I do not think this is a crippling loss. Cronic, to me, seemed to oversee a collective effort of marshaling the offense, and wasn't necessarily one of these offensive "brains" that takes all the productivity with him.

clenz
December 7th, 2017, 12:40 PM
He sure got a job quick after losing for not interviewing before hand....at all...in anyway...at a place where 10 others were considered

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/938838285690064896

ASU33
December 7th, 2017, 12:44 PM
It's rumored that Willie Simmons of Prairie View is headed to take the FAMU job

BEAR
December 7th, 2017, 12:54 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Central Arkansas head coach Steve Campbell will be the new head coach at South Alabama, sources tell @FootballScoop (https://twitter.com/FootballScoop)

Wildcat1997
December 7th, 2017, 01:03 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Central Arkansas head coach Steve Campbell will be the new head coach at South Alabama, sources tell @FootballScoop (https://twitter.com/FootballScoop)That's a great hire for USA but man I feel bad for UCA. I'm sure ya'll will land on your feet though!

Daytripper
December 7th, 2017, 02:04 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Central Arkansas head coach Steve Campbell will be the new head coach at South Alabama, sources tell @FootballScoop (https://twitter.com/FootballScoop)

Bummer for you guys. Hope you find another good one.

BEAR
December 7th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Bummer for you guys. Hope you find another good one.

C'mon...we know you are celebrating...xlolx I think we have a good one sitting in the OC seat already...xthumbsupx

Daytripper
December 7th, 2017, 03:23 PM
C'mon...we know you are celebrating...xlolx I think we have a good one sitting in the OC seat already...xthumbsupx

Actually not celebrating. I want more good teams in the SLC (except SFA) and I want the good ones to stay good.

Wildcat1997
December 7th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Ken Collums is available lol.

centennial
December 7th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Rob Ash deserves another chance. Scottie Hazelton Wyoming's DC could bring NDSU's defense to UCA. He has Pac12, MW and NFL experience.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2017, 04:41 PM
I’mStill not convinced that the coyotes won’t be looking for a new coach.

Daytripper
December 7th, 2017, 04:59 PM
It's rumored that Willie Simmons of Prairie View is headed to take the FAMU job

He's a good coach. They were bound to lose him eventually.

I Bleed Purple
December 7th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Apparently Weber State won't be looking for a coach for awhile, as Jay Hill is reportedly now the highest paid coach in the Big Sky.

https://twitter.com/ScottyG1280/status/938494130803548160

WestCoastAggie
December 7th, 2017, 05:45 PM
https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/938910642915938304

https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/938887929845485569

https://twitter.com/HBCUGameday/status/938851873477423104

https://twitter.com/Jeff_fromthePC/status/938878999081705472

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Apparently Weber State won't be looking for a coach for awhile, as Jay Hill is reportedly now the highest paid coach in the Big Sky.

he could still leave tomorrow.

Bear84
December 7th, 2017, 06:58 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Well that just sucks.

TheKingpin28
December 7th, 2017, 11:28 PM

Just ask NDSU fans about the Bohl extension...

I Bleed Purple
December 8th, 2017, 05:05 AM

That is absolutely true. Getting paid well at Weber, though. Might make him think twice about something like being offered UNLV.

I had pegged for leaving after next year. Now I'm slightly less convinced.

BEAR
December 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Reported this morning in the state's trash newspaper that Coach Campbell will be making $600,000 a year plus incentives. Also heard today that he's taking most of his coaching staff with him. Hopefully not Nathan Brown as that guy can coach. But Brown left UCA for a day and went down to SFA and left because he didn't want to be that far from his family that lives just miles up the road from Conway. So there's that. Good luck Coach Campbell.

I've also heard on campus that there is already a ton of interest in the job. Can't wait to see who the candidates are! xthumbsupx

Catatonic
December 8th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Reported this morning in the state's trash newspaper that Coach Campbell will be making $600,000 a year plus incentives. Also heard today that he's taking most of his coaching staff with him. Hopefully not Nathan Brown as that guy can coach. But Brown left UCA for a day and went down to SFA and left because he didn't want to be that far from his family that lives just miles up the road from Conway. So there's that. Good luck Coach Campbell.

I've also heard on campus that there is already a ton of interest in the job. Can't wait to see who the candidates are! xthumbsupx

Football scoop says the Defensive coordinator and most coaches on the D side are going with him, along with the WR coach.

McNeese75
December 8th, 2017, 10:53 AM

I hear Clint Conque is looking :D

BEAR
December 8th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Football scoop says the Defensive coordinator and most coaches on the D side are going with him, along with the WR coach.

Yeah that basically leaves Brown. xlolx If they don't hire him then a new coach coming in might not keep him. Would suck to lose your job at Christmas. But a new coach should see the talent and nearly a decade of coaching experience Nathan has and keep him.

- - - Updated - - -

Clamp Crank can keep on looking. He's burned his bridges.

:pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke::pumpuke:

ASU33
December 8th, 2017, 12:37 PM
I'm not happy with our hire at ALL! Especially when there were better coaches on the board

Daytripper
December 8th, 2017, 12:41 PM
I'm not happy with our hire at ALL! Especially when there were better coaches on the board

He's a really good coach. Were you expecting Kevin Sumlin?

Sammy94
December 8th, 2017, 12:47 PM

He needs to stay where he is, he obviously has something on SFA to keep his job this long.

BEAR
December 8th, 2017, 01:01 PM
He needs to stay where he is, he obviously has a little sumpin' sumpin' in SFA to keep his job this long.

FYP

Iridebikes
December 8th, 2017, 01:12 PM

That's what we said last year in Cheney and we ended up loosing every coach on the offensive side minus Aaron Best.

gofurman
December 8th, 2017, 10:43 PM

this !!! Hey, I might be let go by NC State... Oh wait Tennessee called me... Now I have a raise and extension at NC State ! Can regular guys be nearly let go then threaten another job.. And thus get a raise? no. They are told "good luck w that new job!'

bonarae
December 9th, 2017, 06:14 AM
Granville Eastman was named the interim head coach at NC Central after Jerry Mack left for Rice to become the DC there.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171208191126812853304&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

BEAR
December 9th, 2017, 06:11 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26721&stc=1

BEAR
December 9th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Nathan Brown is UCAs coach! xthumbsupx

Wildcat1997
December 9th, 2017, 08:15 PM
Nathan Brown is UCAs coach! xthumbsupxCongrats! That sounds like a great hire and I'm sure he'll keep y'all on the right path.

NDSUtk
December 9th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Here's a quick summary article from Craig Haley on the coaching changes this year:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171209210724267221404&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

one_armed_man
December 9th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Congrats! That sounds like a great hire and I'm sure he'll keep y'all on the right path.

I think he will. He's the best QB UCA has ever had and he did a good job this year with play calling.

BEAR
December 9th, 2017, 09:58 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/ucasports/status/939675599668502528/video/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/ucasports/status/939675599668502528/video/1

crusader11
December 10th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Tim Cramsey in the mix at HC.

Catatonic
December 10th, 2017, 08:28 AM
I think he will. He's the best QB UCA has ever had and he did a good job this year with play calling.
Ken Collums on Line one wants to know how many national championships Nathan Brown won for y’all? :)

BEAR
December 10th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Ken Collums on Line one wants to know how many national championships Nathan Brown won for y’all? :)

UCA was in DI transition when Brown qbd.

cx500d
December 10th, 2017, 11:34 AM
UCA was in DI transition when Brown qbd.

So how did you do in D1 transition?

UCABEARS75
December 10th, 2017, 01:54 PM
So how did you do in D1 transition?
Pretty dang good, in particular when Nathan was at QB.

bwbear
December 10th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Pretty dang good, in particular when Nathan was at QB.

Conference Champs in 2008. However, since we were on probation in the tradition, the conference could not officially recognize us as champs without giving up the automatic bid.

cx500d
December 10th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Conference Champs in 2008. However, since we were on probation in the tradition, the conference could not officially recognize us as champs without giving up the automatic bid.

I know how that is....We were 10-1 in 2006 and 2007, with a final ranking of 5th and 9th respectively in FCS in transition years, so ineligible for the playoffs.

BEAR
December 11th, 2017, 08:32 AM
I hate the coaching carousel. xmadxxmadx

*informal interviews the week of the playoffs.
*checks out mentally at game time and runs plays fans haven't seen all year.
*takes all his assistants with him.
*offers schollys to South Alabama to the kids he recruited to UCA leaving the closet even bearer.

I want to apologize to UNH fans. What you saw on the field was your kids and their high level of play and talent going against a team that was ill prepared due to a coach's lack of care because he knew he was going to a higher paying job. He even said on he post game interview that he wished he could have prepared them more. Thanks for the great years of coaching and the winning records, but you copped out when it counted..when your team was #4 in the playoffs and at home. Yeah, I get these things happen, but coaches don't need to tell players to FINISH unless they also plan to FINISH.

That's what's so frustrating to our fans. Not that we lost to UNH, but that the product we put on the field that day was UNFINISHED....and the fans could tell it from the stands.

ColonialInsider
December 11th, 2017, 08:00 PM
So the Robert Morris job has been open for about three weeks and rumors are that finalists have been selected and the last round of interviews is happening this week.

A Robert Morris message board has picked up a few names, including current defensive coordinator and longtime assistant Scott Farison as well as Westminster (D-III) head coach Scott Benzel, who is a former RMU assistant under Joe Walton.

The other names are apparently Youngstown State offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery and Albany associate head coach/defensive coordinator Bernard Clark.

Has anyone at YSU or Albany heard anything similar? Are those guys legit candidates or is this just the rumor mill and maybe some wishful thinking at play?

PaladinFan
December 12th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Football scoop reporting that George Quarles is being promoted to OC at Furman. It also suggests that he is ETSU's favorite for their head coaching position.

TTUEagles
December 12th, 2017, 12:39 PM
Football scoop reporting that George Quarles is being promoted to OC at Furman. It also suggests that he is ETSU's favorite for their head coaching position.
I figured ETSU would go with Billy Taylor (DC) or Dewayne Alexander. However, if I were a betting man, I'd put equal money on either Alexander or WIU's Doug Malone getting the TTU job.

PaladinFan
December 12th, 2017, 12:54 PM
I figured ETSU would go with Billy Taylor (DC) or Dewayne Alexander. However, if I were a betting man, I'd put equal money on either Alexander or WIU's Doug Malone getting the TTU job.

If I were looking for a new head coach, I'd probably go with someone with more college coaching experience. Quarles is as good as they come at the high school level, but he'd arrive without a staff and really only one season coaching at that level.

Besides, reports going into 2017 were that Quarles had turned down a lot of college gigs in the past and really liked the Furman opportunity. Maybe he leaves, but I'd be surprised.

ST_Lawson
December 12th, 2017, 02:32 PM

No...stay away from Malone...he's ours.

Daytripper
December 12th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Only two low level FBS jobs left open...Kent State and Louisiana-Lafayette. I bet they are waiting for Klieman..xcoffeex

Wildcat1997
December 12th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Only two low level FBS jobs left open...Kent State and Louisiana-Lafayette. I bet they are waiting for Klieman..xcoffeexLafayette needs to go after Rebowe.

centennial
December 12th, 2017, 05:32 PM
Only two low level FBS jobs left open...Kent State and Louisiana-Lafayette. I bet they are waiting for Klieman..xcoffeex

Klieman is near 450-500k( with NC). Neither of those jobs could pay enough to get him out of NDSU.

If you told me Boise or Houston was going to steal him I'd actually take you seriously.

pokefan02
December 12th, 2017, 05:52 PM
ULL was paying 1 Million plus to the previous coach

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ASU33
December 12th, 2017, 06:06 PM
ULL was paying 1 Million plus to the previous coach

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sheesh!

TTUEagles
December 12th, 2017, 06:50 PM
No...stay away from Malone...he's ours.
He was ours first! :D

ST_Lawson
December 12th, 2017, 08:24 PM
He was ours first! :D

Damn you and your logic. I hope you don't, but if you do, you'll be getting a great coach (but you probably already know that).

Smitty
December 13th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Wofford has scheduled a press conference today to possibly announce the retirement of head coach Mike Ayers

ASU33
December 13th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Wofford has scheduled a press conference today to possibly announce the retirement of head coach Mike Ayers

Wow! Ayers has been there since the 80s

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa! Ayers has been there since 80s

Smitty
December 13th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Wow! Ayers has been there since the 80s

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa! Ayers has been there since 80s

I believe he has just completed his 30th year

clenz
December 13th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Klieman is near 450-500k( with NC). Neither of those jobs could pay enough to get him out of NDSU.

If you told me Boise or Houston was going to steal him I'd actually take you seriously.
Kent State paid Paul Haynes 420k base and 712k total compensation.
UL-Lafayette paid Mark Hudspeth 1.15m base and 1.6m total compensation.

So.....

Still want to stand by your statement?

PaladinFan
December 13th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Furman names George Quarles OC http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2017-18/releases/20171213for0za

So, that takes out one of ETSU's reported primary targets.

centennial
December 13th, 2017, 10:46 AM

So.....

I withdraw my statement. ULL is a definite jump. Didn't realize a Slum Belt team paid that much.

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 11:32 AM

Not "possibly"

he *will* retire

BEAR
December 13th, 2017, 12:44 PM
I withdraw my statement. ULL is a definite jump. Didn't realize a Slum Belt team paid that much.

South Alabama is paying former UCA head coach Steve Campbell $600,000 plus bonuses and benefits..

Slumbelch schools have just a little more money than most FCS schools...but not much more...xlolx

Reign of Terrier
December 13th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Offensive Coordinator Wade Lang is Wofford's interim coach. No idea how long the interim tag will stay.

BEAR
December 14th, 2017, 09:11 PM
Central Arkansas (FCS): Austin Peay (FCS – TN) linebackers coach / special teams coordinator Max Thurmond is joining the staff as defensive coordinator, per source.

Schism55
December 14th, 2017, 09:23 PM

So.....

Have you been to Lafayette La? Noone wants to visit there much less live there.

centennial
December 16th, 2017, 12:38 AM
Stitt might be heading to Fordham?

PaladinFan
December 16th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Have you been to Lafayette La? Noone wants to visit there much less live there.

The Ragin Cajuns hire former Furman QB Billy Napier to run the show.

Lafayette isn’t great, but its an oasis on I 10

Catatonic
December 16th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Source tells FootballScoop former Abilene Christian head coach Ken Collums will be the new offensive coordinator at UCA.

Good for Ken! He was a much better as OC for ACU than as a HC. [/COLOR]

Wildcat1997
December 16th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Source tells FootballScoop former Abilene Christian head coach Ken Collums will be the new offensive coordinator at UCA.

Good for Ken! He was a much better as OC for ACU than as a HC. [/COLOR]I’m happy for Ken that he gets to return home. He may not have gotten the job done as HC but he’s one hell of an OC. I don’t look forward to playing that offense that he’ll put together.

BEAR
December 16th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Oh good...we got..

A head coach that played D2.
An OC that played NAIA.
A line coach that coached high school last week.

Yep. We're looking for DI perspectives....xrolleyesx

ColonialInsider
December 16th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Per FootballScoop.com, Randy Sanders - Florida State co-offensive coordinator and QB coach - is being hired at East Tennessee.

And rumblings on a Robert Morris message board that Bernard Clark has been offered the job at RMU. Clark is the defensive coordinator at Albany.

UCABEARS75
December 17th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Oh good...we got..

A head coach that played D2.
An OC that played NAIA.
A line coach that coached high school last week.

Yep. We're looking for DI perspectives....xrolleyesx

You’re embarrassing yourself.

BEAR
December 17th, 2017, 12:17 PM
You’re embarrassing yourself.

xlolx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
December 17th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Per FootballScoop.com, Randy Sanders - Florida State co-offensive coordinator and QB coach - is being hired at East Tennessee.

I like this hire. ETSU got a coach who helped Tennessee and Florida State win a national championship. Sanders was mentioned a few years back but that was when he just got his last role at Florida State. I am expecting ETSU to showed marked improvement next year.

kdinva
December 18th, 2017, 07:50 PM
From footballscoop.com:

Morgan State (FCS – MD): Morgan State has now officially announced Fred Farrier will not return. Associate head coach Ernest Jones will serve as interim head coach for this upcoming 2018 season. Jones served as defensive coordinator this season.

Robert Morris (FCS – PA):Source tells FootballScoop Albany defensive coordinator Bernard Clark is expected to become the new head coach at Robert Morris.

centennial
December 19th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Carl Pelini is reported to go to BGSU as DC.

TheKingpin28
December 19th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Carl Pelini is reported to go to BGSU as DC.

Over/Under on the following:

How many games does he last before he is busted for drugs again?
How many games does he last before he goes on a tirade a flagged for Unsportsmanlike Conduct?

bonarae
December 20th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Meanwhile...

Vincent Dancy has been promoted to MVSU's full-time head coach.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171219215323562217004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

VandalBasher
December 21st, 2017, 02:30 PM
This is the list that will spark hiring in FCS to FBS. A firing at the FCS might bring up the coach from Central Washington U. or Mount Union.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/

HEAD COACHING CHANGES FOR 2018

SCHOOL
OLD COACH
YRS
NEW COACH (former position)

Arizona State
Todd Graham
Herm Edwards (NFL Chiefs former Head Coach)

Arkansas
Bret Bielema
Chad Morris (SMU Head Coach)

Florida
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen (Mississippi State Head Coach)

Florida State
Jimbo Fisher
Willie Taggart (Oregon Head Coach)

Georgia Southern
Tyson Summers
Chad Lunsford (Georgia Southern Interim HC)

Kent State
Paul Haynes
TBA

Louisiana-Lafayette
Mark Hudspeth
Billy Napier (Arizona State Off. Coor.)

Mississippi State
Dan Mullen
Joe Moorhead (Penn State Off. Coor.)

Nebraska
Mike Riley
Scott Frost (UCF Head Coach)

Ole Miss
Hugh Freeze
Matt Luke (Ole Miss Interim Head Coach)

Oregon
Willie Taggart
Mario Cristobal (Oregon OL Coach)

Oregon State
Gary Andersen
Jonathan Smith (Washington Off. Coor.)

Rice
David Bailiff
Mike Bloomgren (Stanford Off. Coor.)

SMU
Chad Morris
Sonny Dykes (TCU Off. Analyst)

South Alabama
Joey Jones
Steve Campbell (Central Arkansas Head Coach)

Tennessee
Butch Jones
Jeremy Pruitt (Alabama Def. Coor.)

Texas A&M
Kevin Sumlin
Jimbo Fisher (Florida State Head Coach)

UCF
Scott Frost
Josh Heupel (Missouri Off. Coor.)

UCLA
Jim Mora
Chip Kelly (NFL 49ers former Head Coach)

UTEP
Sean Kugler
Dana Dimel (Kansas State Off. Coor.)

ST_Lawson
December 21st, 2017, 07:30 PM
Sounds like we might be looking for a new HC again...already.

There's a rumor that Coach Fisher is going to be the new WR coach at Arizona State. Making about $100k more than he has been making at WIU. Still just a rumor, but it seems like a fairly strong one.

Bisonoline
December 21st, 2017, 07:33 PM
This is the list that will spark hiring in FCS to FBS. A firing at the FCS might bring up the coach from Central Washington U. or Mount Union.

(http://www.nationalchamps.net/)

SCHOOL
OLD COACH
YRS

Arizona State
Todd Graham

Arkansas
Bret Bielema

Florida
Jim McElwain

Florida State
Jimbo Fisher

Georgia Southern
Tyson Summers

Kent State
Paul Haynes
TBA

Louisiana-Lafayette
Mark Hudspeth

Mississippi State
Dan Mullen

Nebraska
Mike Riley

Ole Miss
Hugh Freeze

Oregon
Willie Taggart

Oregon State
Gary Andersen

Rice
David Bailiff

SMU
Chad Morris

South Alabama
Joey Jones

Tennessee
Butch Jones

Texas A&M
Kevin Sumlin

UCF
Scott Frost

UCLA
Jim Mora

UTEP
Sean Kugler

Thanks for posting this. (http://www.nationalchamps.net/)

centennial
December 21st, 2017, 07:35 PM

There's a rumor that Coach Fisher is going to be the new WR coach at Arizona State. Making about $100k more than he has been making at WIU. Still just a rumor, but it seems like a fairly strong one.

Please stay away from the NDSU DC. We are hoping to promote him when Klieman leaves.

PAllen
December 21st, 2017, 07:44 PM

That's not a very big jump for a move down the totem pole at a bigger school in a more expensive area.

FUBeAR
December 21st, 2017, 07:58 PM

SCHOOL
OLD COACH
YRS

Arizona State
Todd Graham

Arkansas
Bret Bielema

Florida
Jim McElwain

Florida State
Jimbo Fisher

Georgia Southern
Tyson Summers

Kent State
Paul Haynes
TBA

Louisiana-Lafayette
Mark Hudspeth

Mississippi State
Dan Mullen

Nebraska
Mike Riley

Ole Miss
Hugh Freeze

Oregon
Willie Taggart

Oregon State
Gary Andersen

Rice
David Bailiff

SMU
Chad Morris

South Alabama
Joey Jones

Tennessee
Butch Jones

Texas A&M
Kevin Sumlin

UCF
Scott Frost

UCLA
Jim Mora

UTEP
Sean Kugler

Here's another thing that may spark hiring from FCS to FBS: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-teams-can-hire-10th-on-field-assistant-coach-starting-in-2018/

"When the 2017 season comes to a close, every FBS college football team will begin a coaching search as the NCAA Division I Council announced on Friday that it has approved a 10th on-field assistant coach to be hired nationwide."

"The additional position will be available effective Jan. 9, 2018."

That's 129 NET NEW FBS Coaching Jobs available the day after the CFP/FBS National Championship game. As the article notes, many may promote a "Quality Control" Assistant already on staff or a GA to on-field Coaching responsibilities, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a good bit of FCS to FBS movement. Position Coaching jobs in most FBS Schools pay multiple times more than FCS jobs and these FBS Schools may prefer an experienced, successful on-field Coach vs. one that's been breaking down film. As an example, Coaching TE's at Rutgers ain't a lot different than Coaching them at Monmouth; and there's not a whit's difference in the capabilities of the Coaches doing those jobs, IMO.

ST_Lawson
December 21st, 2017, 08:17 PM
That's not a very big jump for a move down the totem pole at a bigger school in a more expensive area.

Idk...maybe he likes being more of an assistant specializing in offense rather than a HC. It doesn't really seem like a move up as compared to what he had done at Penn State or Vandy (QB/passing game coach). The climate is nicer down there, but I can guarantee that moving from Macomb to Tempe, AZ, you're going to spend $100k more just on a relatively comparable house.

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2017, 08:28 PM
Idk...maybe he likes being more of an assistant specializing in offense rather than a HC. It doesn't really seem like a move up as compared to what he had done at Penn State or Vandy (QB/passing game coach). The climate is nicer down there, but I can guarantee that moving from Macomb to Tempe, AZ, you're going to spend $100k more just on a relatively comparable house.
Yeah, seems like a head scratcher to me. The silver lining is if he's not leaving for a head job he can't raid the assistants currently on the WIU staff so it should be easy to promote from within if that's what they choose to do.

ST_Lawson
December 21st, 2017, 08:31 PM
Yeah, seems like a head scratcher to me. The silver lining is if he's not leaving for a head job he can't raid the assistants currently on the WIU staff so it should be easy to promote from within if that's what they choose to do.

This is what I'm hoping for. If he goes, he could maybe only take like one guy with him. Take one of our top assistants and promote him. Keep most of the rest of the staff for continuity.

Schism55
December 21st, 2017, 10:35 PM
Chance to coach the probable first WR off the board in the 2019 draft has got to be pretty enticing.

ytownchief22
December 21st, 2017, 11:08 PM
YSU lost their DC and now reportedly is also losing it's OC as well...

kdinva
December 22nd, 2017, 09:58 AM
UTC losing two Def. assistants to Kent St...

Kent State: Tennessee-Chattanooga (FCS) defensive coordinator Tom Kaufman and defensive line coach Brian Cochran are joining Sean Lewis’ staff. Kaufman’s title is defensive coordinator and associate head coach, while Cochran will coach the defensive line.

clenz
December 22nd, 2017, 10:41 AM
Worth it to not live in Macomb anymore.

I get when it's your university you don't want to see these things...but...

WIU/Illinois in general has little to no money.
Macomb pretty much sucks
WIU averages about 7 fan per games. Senior day this year reported 2,800 which means it was about 700. South Dakota State had 2200 reported which likely means it was under 500

This, in almost every way other than official title, is a step up.

Having said that - he just did WIU something dirty as ****

centennial
December 22nd, 2017, 10:44 AM
YSU lost their DC and now reportedly is also losing it's OC as well...

That OC wasn't that great anyway. DC was good, at least till the team fell apart.

ASU33
December 22nd, 2017, 01:16 PM
Grambling State OC Eric Dooley was named head coach at Prairie View A&M earlier today.

Mike296
December 22nd, 2017, 02:17 PM
We got Healy locked up for another 4 years so I’m happy on that but his supporting staff look to be on the move at the moment so idk how we’ll be next year

NDSU Fan
December 22nd, 2017, 03:02 PM
Feel sorry for those 13 early signee's for WIU, that sucks!

TheKingpin28
December 22nd, 2017, 03:16 PM
We got Healy locked up for another 4 years so I’m happy on that but his supporting staff look to be on the move at the moment so idk how we’ll be next year

If he has one more 8+ win season he is almost as good as gone. Turning APSU into a potential playoff team is how a coach and his staff get noticed and then they try and keep the continuity by bringing the entire staff with them.

ST_Lawson
December 22nd, 2017, 04:25 PM
Feel sorry for those 13 early signee's for WIU, that sucks!

As near as we can tell (including talking to the parents of some of the guys who signed this week), Fisher didn't have any advance knowledge of the job offer until real late...like, too late to do or say anything to the signees about it. Also, he has not officially taken it yet. No official word from either ASU or WIU about it other than our AD tweeting that despite rumors, Coach Fisher remains the head football coach at WIU. My guess is that they're talking and negotiating to see if they can keep Fisher here. Barring that, working out a deal for one of the current high-level assistants to take over as HC.

Just unfortunate timing with the job offer in relation to the early signing period.

VandalBasher
December 22nd, 2017, 05:20 PM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article179851886.html

Idaho will have Coach Petrino until 2020, regardless how well he does.

clenz
December 22nd, 2017, 06:47 PM
He’s known he’s been trying to get this job for a couple weeks now. Nothing about this is a shocked. WIU isn’t keeping him. It isn’t announced officially because final details of buy out are being hashed our for the new contract to be signed.

He did wiu something dirty.

Nor Eastern
December 26th, 2017, 11:19 AM

UNC Charlotte: Source tells FootballScoop Youngstown State offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery will be Brad Lambert’s new offensive coordinator at Charlotte.

Milktruck74
December 26th, 2017, 11:51 AM

Good for Shane. He has a strong Offensive mind and still holds a pretty decent rep in NC (as an NCSU guy). (I may be making this up completely, but....) His wife may be from NC too, so that is a plus for him.

ytownchief22
December 26th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Good for Shane. He has a strong Offensive mind and still holds a pretty decent rep in NC (as an NCSU guy). (I may be making this up completely, but....) His wife may be from NC too, so that is a plus for him.

He does have family there. It was time for he and YSU to part ways.

Professor
December 27th, 2017, 09:00 AM

Bad hire. Lambert and staff gonna be fired by end of the 2018 season

PaladinFan
December 27th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Bad hire. Lambert and staff gonna be fired by end of the 2018 season

Because "worst team in football" doesn't get the fan base excited?

Professor
December 27th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Because "worst team in football" doesn't get the fan base excited?

Charlotte has a HUGE recruiting problem. There is tons of talent in their area, but Charlotte has ignored these schools for years. They need local kids for fans. I would have grabbed a coach who has proven recruiting ties in the Charlotte and SC area

bonarae
December 28th, 2017, 07:57 PM
UAPB has hired Alcorn's DC as their next HC.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171227143614376128804&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

BEAR
December 28th, 2017, 09:25 PM
UAPB has hired Alcorn's DC as their next HC.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20171227143614376128804&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

Good for the Golden Lions! Monte Coleman is a fantastic coach and an even better guy. Hope he lands somewhere good if he hasn't already. Can't wait to see that team back on top. They deserve it.

Original_Siouxperfan
December 29th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Weber State lost its offensive coordinator, Fesi Sitake, to B.Y.U. this week.

http://www.standard.net/Football/2017/12/27/byu-football-weber-state-fesi-sitake-assistant-coaches

Wildcat1997
December 30th, 2017, 10:11 PM
UIW hired Texas Tech WR coach/OC Eric Morris as head coach. It’s worth noting he didn’t call the plays at Tech. My opinion on this hire really depends on how much they spent on him. If they were able to get him for a reasonable price then I think it’s a decent hire, but if they spent a lot on him then I think they could’ve done better.

LuckyKat
January 1st, 2018, 08:20 AM
Im ready to move on from all in the current SHSU regime

DetroitFlyer
January 2nd, 2018, 03:31 PM
DAVIDSON, N.C. –*Scott Abell, head football coach at Washington & Lee University, will take over as Davidson College's head coach. He will lead the Wildcats after consistently turning around or elevating high school and college football programs over the past two decades.

clenz
January 2nd, 2018, 03:36 PM
Shockingly there has been no word about a mass exodus at UNI again. Most assistants putting on social media about spring/winter workouts with the team....then again we know what that holds for weight.

BEAR
January 2nd, 2018, 07:57 PM
UCA has hired or kept on 4 former UCA QBs to run the program.

Nathan Brown- head coach. SLC champion.
Ken Collums- OC/ quarterbacks coach. NAIA national champion.
Taylor Reed- Runningbacks coach. SEC and SLC QB.
Ryan Howard- WR and special teams coach. SLC QB and SLC TE.

ST_Lawson
January 3rd, 2018, 03:40 PM
Ok, sounds like it's now official (they brought in another guy for interviews yesterday)...

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/948668691876601857

I would imagine that given the length of time that the rumors and stuff were going, we probably will have something worked out with most of the rest of the staff fairly soon.

ytownchief22
January 3rd, 2018, 04:43 PM
Rumors swirling that Brian VanGorder, former DC at Notre Dame is coming to YSU's staff and his son (QB) is transferring from ND where he was a former walk on and backup to compete to be starting QB as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 3rd, 2018, 06:27 PM
Rumors swirling that Brian VanGorder, former DC at Notre Dame is coming to YSU's staff and his son (QB) is transferring from ND where he was a former walk on and backup to compete to be starting QB as well.

That's an interesting development.....

ST_Lawson
January 4th, 2018, 10:15 AM
WIU Assistant HC and Co-Offensive Coordinator/QBs Jared Elliott has been named the new Head Coach at Western Illinois University.
Here's his full bio: http://goleathernecks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2080&path=football

I like this hire...he's got a good energy, has a great connection with many of the new recruits, has coached at Western before (and chose to come back). We should retain a consistency with most of the coaching staff and most of the current players as well as the new recruits. He's also young (first WIU HC younger than I am), so if he's successful, we could keep him here for quite a while.

EDIT - for anyone who is interested enough to watch it, here's the press conference from this morning announcing Fisher stepping down as HC and Elliott as the new HC

https://www.facebook.com/wiuathletics/videos/10159776358435285/

Redbird 4th & short
January 4th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear Lawson thinks WIU found suitable replacement.

On ISUr front .. already announced following coaching losses on another thread

- 4 offensive coaches: Co-OC/QB Coach Dicken Co-OC/OL Coach Clark, WR Coach Kiernan, RB/Recruitment Coord Coach Conard .. prevailing feeling is we would miss Clark and Conard most, but will not miss Dicken at all .. zero !
- 1 defensive coach: DC Nowinsky .. prevailing feeling is this one will hurt, especially losing 6 key seniors from our defense

Progress report

- offensive: immediately named OC Beathard (very favorable feeling here) and OL Harold Etheridge (very favorable as well) .. no word on RB or WR coaches yet
- defensive: DC Coach announcement expected later this week

So far so good, but defense has Redbird Nation a little concerned for next year. Some of us, like me, are feeling much better about our offense for next fall with OC Beathard, and now OL Coach Etheridge, nearly all OL back, and 3 very good RBs coming back. We're going to play some serious smash mouth offensive football next year .. and feeling lunch better about new OC handling of QB and passing game .. just need to find/develop some WRs .. that cupboard is the most bare it has been in Spack era.

Redbird 4th & short
January 4th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear Lawson thinks WIU found suitable replacement.

On ISUr front .. already announced following coaching losses on another thread

- 4 offensive coaches: Co-OC/QB Coach Dicken Co-OC/OL Coach Clark, WR Coach Kiernan, RB/Recruitment Coord Coach Conard .. prevailing feeling is we would miss Clark and Conard most, but will not miss Dicken at all .. zero !
- 1 defensive coach: DC Nowinsky .. prevailing feeling is this one will hurt, especially losing 6 key seniors from our defense

Progress report

- offensive: immediately named OC Beathard (very favorable feeling here) and OL Harold Etheridge (very favorable as well) .. no word on RB or WR coaches yet
- defensive: DC Coach announcement expected later this week

So far so good, but defense has Redbird Nation a little concerned for next year. Some of us, like me, are feeling much better about our offense for next fall with OC Beathard, and now OL Coach Etheridge, nearly all OL back, and 3 very good RBs coming back. We're going to play some serious smash mouth offensive football next year .. and feeling lunch better about new OC handling of QB and passing game .. just need to find/develop some WRs .. that cupboard is the most bare it has been in Spack era.

And now we have hired our DC Travis Niekamp .. last stop was LB coach for Montana.

Interesting find ... he is an ISUr alumni from 1997, and also coached in 1998-99 .. which previously was the best 2 year football run up until 2014-15 run

http://goredbirds.com/news/2018/1/4/nie ... nator.aspx (http://goredbirds.com/news/2018/1/4/niekamp-joins-isu-football-staff-as-defensive-coordinator.aspx)

So lot of experience playing/coaching DL and coaching LB, among other duties. 43 years old with some FBS and FCS experience. Only DC experience was Co-DC at LA-Monroe I think .. so this is step up for him. I'm quite sure Spack will be mentoring this guy closely. He will also be the DL coach, so fits very nicely into prior DC Nowinsky void .. but will have his work cut out for him with loss of 3 of 4 DL: Keene, Conley, McCown.

Looks like a good fit, but we'll see how this goes though .. expecting a rough start on defensive side of ball regardless .. but Spack (and now Niekamp) will pull it together on defense .. he always does.

Redbird 4th & short
January 7th, 2018, 07:59 PM
And now we have hired our DC Travis Niekamp .. last stop was LB coach for Montana.

Interesting find ... he is an ISUr alumni from 1997, and also coached in 1998-99 .. which previously was the best 2 year football run up until 2014-15 run

http://goredbirds.com/news/2018/1/4/nie ... nator.aspx (http://goredbirds.com/news/2018/1/4/niekamp-joins-isu-football-staff-as-defensive-coordinator.aspx)

So lot of experience playing/coaching DL and coaching LB, among other duties. 43 years old with some FBS and FCS experience. Only DC experience was Co-DC at LA-Monroe I think .. so this is step up for him. I'm quite sure Spack will be mentoring this guy closely. He will also be the DL coach, so fits very nicely into prior DC Nowinsky void .. but will have his work cut out for him with loss of 3 of 4 DL: Keene, Conley, McCown.

Looks like a good fit, but we'll see how this goes though .. expecting a rough start on defensive side of ball regardless .. but Spack (and now Niekamp) will pull it together on defense .. he always does.

Just hired WR Coach Brian Anderson .. last stop was Minnesota WR Coach. He has a nice resume .. surprised we got an FBS WR position coach like this .. and he played WR at WIU. So played WR at FCS level and coached it at FBS level. Seems like a good get for us ... now, maybe he can get us a few Big 10 transfers at WR position .. Fleck is reportedly cleaning house after subpar year 1 .. several WRs have already mutually agreed to move on.

Only waiting on RB coach.

kdinva
January 8th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Maryland: Sources tell FootballScoop that James Madison offensive line coach and longtime Virginia Tech offensive coordinator & line coach Bryan Stinespring will be the new offensive line coach for the Terps.

Incarnate Word (FCS – TX): We understand the entire staff has been let go.

BEAR
January 8th, 2018, 06:59 AM

Incarnate Word (FCS – TX): We understand the entire PROGRAM has been let go.

FYP xlolx

Daytripper
January 8th, 2018, 01:45 PM
FYP xlolx

I think Morris has a chance to do something at UIW. Offensive mind. Good recruiter in a recruiting hotbed. Young and hungry.

Derby City Duke
January 8th, 2018, 02:00 PM

Maryland: Sources tell FootballScoop that James Madison offensive line coach and longtime Virginia Tech offensive coordinator & line coach Bryan Stinespring will be the new offensive line coach for the Terps.

Incarnate Word (FCS – TX): We understand the entire staff has been let go.

Not sure that is a huge loss for JMU. He had moved over this year from coaching TEs; OL was our weakest link all year; had some injury issues that caused some shuffling, but our run game (outside of the ECU and SDSU games) was consistently inconsistent -- not a bad coach, just didn't produce the downhill running game needed to win the last game of the year. Even those 2 games' totals were skewed by multiple long TD runs (3 of 70+ vs. ECU and 2 of 65+ vs. SDSU). Bigger loss was his predecessor, Jamal Powell, who left after the 2016 season for Lamar.

WestCoastAggie
January 8th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Coach Broadway is retiring. We are going internal for the next HC for NCAT.

The press conference is tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/NCATAGGIES/status/950451491990622209

Professor
January 8th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Job well done Sir

GREENSBORO (January 8, 2018) – North Carolina A&T head football coach Rod Broadway announced his retirement from coaching on Monday.

Assistant head coach, defensive coordinator and secondary coach Sam Washington will take over the program as the 19th head football coach in N.C. A&T history. Aggie Athletics will hold an 11 a.m., press conference at the Alumni-Foundation Event Center (200 N. Benbow Road, Greensboro) on Tuesday, January 9 that will feature Broadway, Washington and N.C. A&T Director of Collegiate Athletics, Earl M. Hilton III.

Broadway retries after seven seasons as the Aggies football coach. He will serve as a special assistant to the athletics director for the next six months. Broadway recently led N.C. A&T to its best season ever, finishing 12-0 with accolades that included winning the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference title, the Celebration Bowl game and the HBCU national championship. In the process, the Aggies broke the school and conference records for wins and became the first MEAC and HBCU Division I-AA team ever to finish undefeated and untied.

In 15 seasons as a head coach, Broadway amassed a 127-45 (.738) record with four HBCU titles and six conference championships. Yesterday, his .737 winning percentage was the best winning percentage among active FCS coaches. In the history of FCS play, Broadway has the third-highest winning percentage. Broadway spent four seasons apiece at North Carolina Central (2003-06) and Grambling State (2007-10).

http://www.ncataggies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24500&ATCLID=211691805