PDA

View Full Version : Big South Expansion?

BisonTru
November 15th, 2017, 09:50 PM
https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/931003644790607872

https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/931004009544060928

https://twitter.com/stevenjgaither/status/930996691049775104

BisonTru
November 15th, 2017, 09:52 PM
https://twitter.com/LancersBlog/status/930849025112363010

NorthChuckSouth
November 15th, 2017, 09:57 PM
USC Upstate is a no go for football for the near future.. I've heard from people close to the school that the administration has been very outspoken about not having football

jsualumnus
November 15th, 2017, 10:08 PM
So Big South gets no better? Just when I thought the OVC was bad...Sorry! Nothing nice to say here.... Moving on...

Schism55
November 15th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Can someone make sense of this for me?
Taking one step forward to go 4 steps back??

ASU33
November 15th, 2017, 10:12 PM
Hampton finally gets it's wish!

Laker
November 15th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Hampton finally gets it's wish!

https://hbcugameday.com/2017/11/15/hampton-rumored-headed-for-big-south-conference/

ST_Lawson
November 15th, 2017, 11:22 PM
https://hbcugameday.com/2017/11/15/hampton-rumored-headed-for-big-south-conference/

That's really interesting. I know that the MEAC sends the champ to the Celebration Bowl, and if there's a #2 high enough they could theoretically get selected for the playoffs. I wonder if Hampton did the math and decided that their chances of doing well financially would increase if they instead tried to do well in the Big South and get the autobid there. They're not likely to challenge for it currently, but in a few years...maybe Kennesaw State moves up to the SoCon and Hampton has less competition or something.

I don't really know what other reasons there might be...travel? I'm not familiar enough with the locations of all of the MEAC vs Big South schools to know if that's a better situation for them or not. They won't be heading down to Florida, but they'd lose the extremely close trip to Norfolk State.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 15th, 2017, 11:28 PM
Will Monmouth stay in the Big South, move to the NEC, CAA, or Patriot League?

Seeing as they're the virtual PL champions this year...

MTfan4life
November 15th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Will Monmouth stay in the Big South, move to the NEC, CAA, or Patriot League?

Seeing as they're the back to back virtual PL champions...

FIFY

aceinthehole
November 15th, 2017, 11:40 PM
I would love to see the NEC invite both Monmouth (MAAC) and Delaware State (MEAC) as associate members in football. It would give the league 9 teams and an 8-game conference schedule, helping us avoid the need to schedule D-II teams for non-conference games.

Expanded NEC Football
1. Bryant
2. Central Connecticut
3. Duquesne (A-10)
4. Robert Morris
5. Sacred Heart
6. Saint Francis
7. Wagner
+ Delaware State (MEAC)
+ Monmouth (MAAC)

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2017, 12:36 AM
Will Monmouth stay in the Big South, move to the NEC or Patriot League?

Seeing as they're Back to Back PL champions this year...

had to build off the first FIFY

UNHWildcat18
November 16th, 2017, 12:39 AM
I would love to see the NEC invite both Monmouth (MAAC) and Delaware State (MEAC) as associate members in football. It would give the league 9 teams and an 8-game conference schedule, helping us avoid the need to schedule D-II teams for non-conference games.

Expanded NEC Football
1. Bryant
2. Central Connecticut
3. Duquesne (A-10)
4. Robert Morris
5. Sacred Heart
6. Saint Francis
7. Wagner
+ Delaware State (MEAC)
+ Monmouth (MAAC)

You guys would be really able to stabilize the conference with that. I feel that some teams want more than the NEC is currently offering, but besides what Monmouth or Bryant to the PL for football or all sports, the PL or CAA isn't an option for any of the schools. Before the cane walking PL crew barges in I am not saying either Monmouth or Bryant is up to "academic" standards.

aceinthehole
November 16th, 2017, 12:50 AM
You guys would be really able to stabilize the conference with that. I feel that some teams want more than the NEC is currently offering, but besides what Monmouth or Bryant to the PL for football or all sports, the PL or CAA isn't an option for any of the schools. Before the cane walking PL crew barges in I am not saying either Monmouth or Bryant is up to "academic" standards.

Maybe some teams want "more," but the NEC offers 45 schollys + 18 grants in aid (full 63 equivalences), AQ access, and a compact geographic footprint (R.I., Conn., N.Y., Penn.). As you pointed out, these schools basically are not candidates for any other conferences.

Honestly, the NEC is league of small, private schools (except CCSU), but otherwise it has a well-run conference office and has really getting more competitive in football each year. No reason the NEC can't consistently be ranked as strong as the Big South, OVC, Patriot, and Ivy counterparts. Honestly, NEC football is now ahead of NEC basketball. The men's basketball programs have been decimated by transfers out to high majors, but football can actually be very competitive at the FCS level.

Engineer86
November 16th, 2017, 06:05 AM
Maybe some teams want "more," but the NEC offers 45 schollys + 18 grants in aid (full 63 equivalences), AQ access, and a compact geographic footprint (R.I., Conn., N.Y., Penn.). As you pointed out, these schools basically are not candidates for any other conferences.

Honestly, the NEC is league of small, private schools (except CCSU), but otherwise it has a well-run conference office and has really getting more competitive in football each year. No reason the NEC can't consistently be ranked as strong as the Big South, OVC, Patriot, and Ivy counterparts. Honestly, NEC football is now ahead of NEC basketball. The men's basketball programs have been decimated by transfers out to high majors, but football can actually be very competitive at the FCS level.

Besides the coaching brawls, you basketball program is looking pretty good with the two Lehigh Valley players you picked up.

RootinFerDukes
November 16th, 2017, 06:05 AM
So Big South gets no better? Just when I thought the OVC was bad...Sorry! Nothing nice to say here.... Moving on...

I think they’re just trying to add bodies at this point. They’re a one bid conference and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Deuces Hampton. This isn't the first time a school left the MEAC. FAMU left quite a few times in the 80's and early 00's. Bethune-Cookman, Morgan State left and NCCU left.

Things happen, but if they go left, they'll have a place to return.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 06:34 AM
I think they’re just trying to add bodies at this point. They’re a one bid conference and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

KSU, Charleston Southern, Monmouth & Hampton could change that in the future.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2017, 06:40 AM

Hard to know what the plan is.

KSU is one of, if not the, largest universities in Georgia. I'd be interested to know what their long term plans are.

Maybe Big South courts SCSU?

UIWWildthing
November 16th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Deuces Hampton. This isn't the first time a school left the MEAC. FAMU left quite a few times in the 80's and early 00's. Bethune-Cookman, Morgan State left and NCCU left.

Things happen, but if they go left, they'll have a place to return.

When did Morgan leave the MEAC?

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 06:50 AM

KSU is one of, if not the, largest universities in Georgia. I'd be interested to know what their long term plans are.

Doubt it. However, I heard folks on the hilltop in DC (Howard) wouldn't mind a PL invite, I guess.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 06:52 AM
When did Morgan leave the MEAC?

1980 with UMES. They returned in 84. It was around the time of the 1-AA creation.

UIWWildthing
November 16th, 2017, 07:26 AM
1980 with UMES. They returned in 84. It was around the time of the 1-AA creation.
Well TIL. Didn't know that!

RootinFerDukes
November 16th, 2017, 07:55 AM

It all has to start with consistent OOC and postseason wins.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 08:00 AM

It's also worth mentioning that Chuck South has some problems they have to deal with as well. Hard to tell if Chadwell put the foundations in for long-term success in the program. It's too early to say.

Professor
November 16th, 2017, 08:35 AM
So what will the Big South look like next year

aceinthehole
November 16th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Besides the coaching brawls, you basketball program is looking pretty good with the two Lehigh Valley players you picked up.

Yes, Donyell is rebuilding CCSU hoops nicely and the recruits he's picked up from there are very solid. I think the coaching issue gets resolved soon and DM will be vindicated. But as a whole, the NEC is become the minor leagues for P5 basketball.

We've seen kids to transfer up to Cincy, Oklahoma, Georgetown, Seton Hall, St. Bona, and a range of other majors. Mt. St. Mary's has been decimated. Every year they've had to rebuild with Frosh.

Anyway, that is just the way it is and the fan frustration that goes along with supporting "low major" programs. The NCAA and members just make it difficult to compete against the power and money of the P5. At some point, there has to be some major reform. The shoe scandal was just another example of the reach of money and power into DI amateur athletics.

ST_Lawson
November 16th, 2017, 09:56 AM

That's my thought too. Cobb County is seeing some pretty serious growth and KSU is the 3rd largest university in Georgia with over 35k students. Obviously they don't have the academic profile of most of the Big 10, but just by enrollment, they're larger than Iowa, Nebraska, or Northwestern. There's quite a bit of money in the Marietta/Kennesaw area, nice scenery, plenty to do (the Braves new stadium is out in Cobb County, Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield, amusement park, water park, a giant chicken (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Chicken), etc.)

With decent leadership, they're in a very good position to turn those positives into an FBS move (and be able to handle it) within a decade, I'd say. They'd actually be a really good fit for the Sun Belt...right in the footprint, cross-city rivals with Georgia State and with Georgia Southern just down the road a bit.

walliver
November 16th, 2017, 10:06 AM
That's my thought too. Cobb County is seeing some pretty serious growth and KSU is the 3rd largest university in Georgia with over 35k students. Obviously they don't have the academic profile of most of the Big 10, but just by enrollment, they're larger than Iowa, Nebraska, or Northwestern. There's quite a bit of money in the Marietta/Kennesaw area, nice scenery, plenty to do (the Braves new stadium is out in Cobb County).

With decent leadership, they're in a very good position to turn those positives into an FBS move (and be able to handle it) within a decade, I'd say. They'd actually be a really good fit for the Sun Belt...right in the footprint, cross-city rivals with Georgia State and with Georgia Southern just down the road a bit.

This is what makes KSU unattractive to most FCS conferences... and the fact that despite all their advantages, they don’t dominate in basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ST_Lawson
November 16th, 2017, 10:08 AM
This is what makes KSU unattractive to most FCS conferences... and the fact that despite all their advantages, they don’t dominate in basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right...outside of one or two schools, I don't think the Sun Belt cares that much if you suck at basketball ;)

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 10:10 AM
http://www.bigsouthsports.com/news/2017/11/16/general-big-south-adds-hampton-university-as-full-member.aspx

Big South Adds Hampton University as Full Member
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (www.BigSouthSports.com (http://www.bigsouthsports.com/)) – The Big South Conference has added Hampton University as a full member effective with the 2018-19 academic year, it was announced this morning at a press conference in the Student Center Theater on Hampton’s campus. Hampton’s membership begins July 1, 2018 and increases the Big South membership to 12 next fall with the addition of USC Upstate yesterday.

“On behalf of the entire membership of the Big South Conference -- student/athletes, coaches and presidents, we are pleased and very excited to welcome the community of Hampton University to the conference,” said Mary Grant, Big South President and UNC Asheville Chancellor. “Hampton’s rich history and tradition both athletically and academically aligns perfectly with the ideals and core values of the Big South Conference.”

The Pirates sponsor 17 varsity sports at the Division I level, 16 of which are sponsored by the Big South: football, men’s and women’s basketball, women’s soccer, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track & field, softball, men’s and women’s golf, and women’s volleyball. Only men’s lacrosse will not compete in the Big South. Hampton will be immediately eligible for conference championships, while its football program will officially start its Big South association no later than 2019.

“The move to the Big South Conference is just another part of an exciting year at Hampton University,” said Hampton President Dr. William R. Harvey. “Institutions in the Big South are located in Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina, which means that our student athletes will spend less time traveling and more time in classes on campus. This keeps the proper focus on academics, which is our chief reason for being. The smaller geographic footprint will also reduce travel expenses. Another important consideration is the large number of alumni located in the Big South region.”

Laker
November 16th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Why is Hampton staying independent in lacrosse? I would think it would be hard to fill a schedule.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2017, 07:16 PM
This is not a popular move with their alumni and fans

kdinva
November 16th, 2017, 07:39 PM
Why is Hampton staying independent in lacrosse? .

That program is only 2 years old......even VMI beat them 21-2.....