PDA

View Full Version : Nichols State

gofurman
November 15th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Great program - really. But are they out if they lose to SELA tomorrow? Just curious people's thoughts. (sorry, meant Nicholls State w 'll')

TheKingpin28
November 15th, 2017, 08:32 PM
Great program - really. But are they out if they lose to SELA tomorrow? Just curious people's thoughts. (sorry, meant Nicholls State w 'll')

Win plus a lot of help might get them in.

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Nicholls State is a good team at best. They don’t have any big wins aside from a win against McNeese on opening night (if you consider McNeese better than Nicholls). They had a close loss to a Texas A&M team that turned out to be alright. The night they came to Bowers, they had a tough time to say the least. Offense was clicking and the D was on for Sam. Nicholls had no chance. Came out flat, got behind, failed to preform. It was over at halftime and the sellout crowd was gone. I stayed around until the start of the fourth quarter and I have to say, they looked like crap. The offense couldn’t execute a simple run on our backups and the D couldn’t stop our backups.

Since the big loss to SHSU, they have had no real tests yet. A close win against HBU was the only thing to note. They made a nice comeback in that one. The game against SELA will tell the story. I’m not buying into the “win and maybe your in” stuff. Its simple if you ask me. If they come out, make a statement and win comfortably against a damn good SELA team, they are in. Lose or allow Southeastern to stay in the game for a while, you’re out! We will see if the moment is too big again or if they are able to handle the pressure. This is a good team, but it will be tough to go to Hammond and beat the Lions on Thursday Night. We will see what they are really made of.

mvemjsunpx
November 15th, 2017, 08:49 PM
I'm sure they're out if they lose. It's a bit murky if they win. They should be considered ahead of McNeese since they beat them.

SELU hasn't beaten anyone good, though, so I don't expect an upset here.

TheRevSFA
November 15th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Nicholls has the best offensive line in the SLC, and top 3 defensive lines. The problem is, Fourcade is just a good QB, not great, and they don’t really have any star threats, like a yedi Louis from Sam.

I’d like to see them get in, and they should over mcneese but I doubt it happens

i also mean no disrespect to the colonels. They whooped our asses last weekend for sure

Daytripper
November 15th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Win, they are in. Lose, they are out. Simple.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Win, they are in. Lose, they are out. Simple.

I concur

BEAR
November 16th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Nicholls wins and they are in.

SLC will have 3 in if that happens.

Not sure about McNeese though. If they go 9-2.....man I'd hate to be on that decision committee...

kalm
November 16th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Nicholls State is a good team at best. They don’t have any big wins aside from a win against McNeese on opening night (if you consider McNeese better than Nicholls). They had a close loss to a Texas A&M team that turned out to be alright. The night they came to Bowers, they had a tough time to say the least. Offense was clicking and the D was on for Sam. Nicholls had no chance. Came out flat, got behind, failed to preform. It was over at halftime and the sellout crowd was gone. I stayed around until the start of the fourth quarter and I have to say, they looked like crap. The offense couldn’t execute a simple run on our backups and the D couldn’t stop our backups.

Since the big loss to SHSU, they have had no real tests yet. A close win against HBU was the only thing to note. They made a nice comeback in that one. The game against SELA will tell the story. I’m not buying into the “win and maybe your in” stuff. Its simple if you ask me. If they come out, make a statement and win comfortably against a damn good SELA team, they are in. Lose or allow Southeastern to stay in the game for a while, you’re out! We will see if the moment is too big again or if they are able to handle the pressure. This is a good team, but it will be tough to go to Hammond and beat the Lions on Thursday Night. We will see what they are really made of.

SELA is "damn good"?

Their 5 wins are against a combined 9-43. They lost to BCU.

Even with a win Nichols is on the bubble.

Daytripper
November 16th, 2017, 11:08 AM
SELA is "damn good"?

I don't know. They have a win over McNeese and a "good loss" to Texas A&M. Can't keep them out.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2017, 12:40 PM
SELA is "damn good"?

I agree with the old Bill Parcells saying that, "you are what your record says you are," but IMO, we're playoff caliber when our QB is healthy. He got hurt late in our season opener vs UL-Lafayette and missed the BCU and UCA games (tried to play a couple of series) ... he got hurt again late in the Sam Houston game with the score tied, and gutted through 2nd half of McNeese with a bad shoulder and knee. We lost 4 close games: one in the final seconds to an FBS, two to 9-2 teams, and a talented BCU team without our QB. UCA pulled away from us in the second half, but again, we didn't have our QB. We're left playing for pride and the River Bell Trophy tonight vs a good Nicholls team. We're coming off a much needed open date after 10 straight weeks and I look for us to play our best game of the year. Should be a good one.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I just don't see the politics of leaving 2 9-2 teams out. I can understand one, but 2? No.

Nicholls is in with a win. I don't see a 7-4 Furman/Samford team surpassing them (even though I think they'd deserve it)

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 01:42 PM
SELA is "damn good"?

Yes, SELA has playoff caliber talent. A win for Nicholls and I just can’t see how you keep them out. Tough game though.

kalm
November 16th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Yes, SELA has playoff caliber talent. A win for Nicholls and I just can’t see how you keep them out. Tough game though.

"Damn good" and having playoff caliber talent are not the same, even with the injuries. E.G.: JMU lost a stud RB. So did Elon. They both kept winning. Sac State lost their QB for 3 games and rolled a couple of teams even one on the road.

SELA might be a "decent" team but still no good wins and 5-6 in the SLC.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2017, 03:19 PM
I just don't see the politics of leaving 2 9-2 teams out. I can understand one, but 2? No.

Nicholls is in with a win. I don't see a 7-4 Furman/Samford team surpassing them (even though I think they'd deserve it)

Nicholls will get in with a win. McNeese would likely have to have some help, but I agree, the politics of leaving out a 9-2 will be a factor. They're definitely playoff caliber IMO, especially on defense. They have no control over the schedule, other than maybe not scheduling a D-2. But if you're trying to get the 24 best teams, they belong. So does Nicholls.

McNeese72
November 16th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Nicholls will get in with a win. McNeese would likely have to have some help, but I agree, the politics of leaving out a 9-2 will be a factor. They're definitely playoff caliber IMO, especially on defense. They have no control over the schedule, other than maybe not scheduling a D-2. But if you're trying to get the 24 best teams, they belong. So does Nicholls.

We weren't even supposed to play the D-2 this season. It was supposed to have been a trip to play Arkansas but we ended up having to scramble to schedule a replacement game.

Doc

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 04:16 PM
"Damn good" and having playoff caliber talent are not the same, even with the injuries. E.G.: JMU lost a stud RB. So did Elon. They both kept winning. Sac State lost their QB for 3 games and rolled a couple of teams even one on the road.

SELA might be a "decent" team but still no good wins and 5-6 in the SLC.

We clearly have different opinions. Does damn good talent do it for ya. My point is this can be a playoff team. They can hang around with good teams.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2017, 04:25 PM
We weren't even supposed to play the D-2 this season. It was supposed to have been a trip to play Arkansas but we ended up having to scramble to schedule a replacement game.

Doc

I totally understand, but I suppose if one wanted to quibble with the notion it was out of McNeese's hands, they could say you could have found a D-I to play on the road. But I know that's not realistic. We had a similar situation in 2009 when Alcorn backed out of a return game after we played there in 2008. We ended up with a D-2 and an NAIA. Samford also backed out of return game in 2014 after we went there in 2013. We had to scramble to get Jacksonville U and were able to get a home-n-home with Southern Utah.

McNeese72
November 16th, 2017, 04:30 PM
I totally understand, but I suppose if one wanted to quibble with the notion it was out of McNeese's hands, they could say you could have found a D-I to play on the road. But I know that's not realistic. We had a similar situation in 2009 when Alcorn backed out of a return game after we played there in 2008. We ended up with a D-2 and an NAIA. Samford also backed out of return game in 2014 after we went there in 2013. We had to scramble to get Jacksonville U and were able to get a home-n-home with Southern Utah.

Also, from what I understand is that Thursday night opening game with Nicholls resulted from the chain reaction that we had trying to scramble to schedule a game. I don't think we would have lost to Nicholls if it wouldn't have been the opening game. We started getting things together especially defensively after the opening game.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Also, from what I understand is that Thursday night opening game with Nicholls resulted from the chain reaction that we had trying to scramble to schedule a game. I don't think we would have lost to Nicholls if it wouldn't have been the opening game. We started getting things together especially defensively after the opening game.

Maybe. Didn’t know you guys were so good defensive wise. One in the nation in rushing defense. I think maybe I’m starting to lean towards McNeese being the better of the two teams, but the Cowboys need Nicholls to lose. Head to head loss hurts, off the field issues or not. The committee can and will use it against you.

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2017, 04:42 PM

I hear ya and feel your pain. Where opponents fall on a schedule can make or break a team's season. We all go through it to some degree, though not all in the same year.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2017, 04:43 PM
I hear ya and feel your pain. Where opponents fall on a schedule can make or break a team's season. We all go through it to some degree, though not all in the same year.

No go kick some Colonel Ass :D (77 minutes to kickoff)

lionsrking2
November 16th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Maybe. Didn’t know you guys were so good defensive wise. One in the nation in rushing defense. I think maybe I’m starting to lean towards McNeese being the better of the two teams, but the Cowboys need Nicholls to lose. Head to head loss hurts, off the field issues or not. The committee can and will use it against you.

McNeese has an elite defense by just about any FCS standard. They gave up points to UCA but a lot of that wasn't on the defense. Not sure they're good enough offensively, but they are good enough to be complementary if they don't turn it over and special teams come to play. We have a really good offensive line and couldn't block them. Sold me.

katstrapper
November 16th, 2017, 05:11 PM

Don't underestimate Nicholls St. They are one of those teams that could stir up a little trouble in the playoffs if they were to get in. They are one of those teams you better jump on early and keep stomping on them or they will find a way to hang around and win. They gave the Aggies all they could handle and don't forget they had two very close losses to FBS teams last year, with an almost upset of Georgia. Tim Rebowe has done a nice job there. I would like to see them make the playoffs . They have come a long way in the last 4 years.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 05:13 PM
McNeese has an elite defense by just about any FCS standard. They gave up points to UCA but a lot of that wasn't on the defense. Not sure they're good enough offensively, but they are good enough to be complementary if they don't turn it over and special teams come to play. We have a really good offensive line and couldn't block them. Sold me.

Rushing defense has been big for McNeese. But I think if they were to play an SHSU or another pass first run second team they would have trouble. It would be tough for the Cowboys to stop Briscoe, but I think they could eventually catch on and slow him down. We simply have too many weapons though.

Now, if McNeese were to play Wofford, they would have a field day. And I think many MVFC teams would have issues with this team.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Don't underestimate Nicholls St. They are one of those teams that could stir up a little trouble in the playoffs if they were to get in. They are one of those teams you better jump on early and keep stomping on them or they will find a way to hang around and win. They gave the Aggies all they could handle and don't forget they had two very close losses to FBS teams last year, with an almost upset of Georgia. Tim Rebowe has done a nice job there. I would like to see them make the playoffs . They have come a long way in the last 4 years.

Just like ACU. A very dangerous team!

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Not a good start for Nicholls. 3 and out.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Nothing going offensively in Hammond early on. Midway through one, no scores yet.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Huge run by Smith and NSU is in the red zone just like that! 3:20 left in the first. Nothing on the board yet.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Touchdown, Nicholls.

RB takes it in on a 7 yd run. 7-0 NSU leads. Late in the first.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Big Pass Interference call. SELA keeps their drive alive. First down Lions near midfield. 1:25 left in the first.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:45 PM
GONE! The Lions answer with a long run. TD Southeastern Louisiana. Cooper goes nearly 60 years. Tie game

7-7

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Nicholls is driving.

Inside of the SELA 30, Nicholls putting something together here. Still tied at 7, 11 minutes left in the second.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 06:59 PM
TD, Nicholls.

Another run that results in a touchdown. 14-7 to the Red and Silver. 9:23 left in the half. Fun game so far.

BEAR
November 16th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Blacked out in my area. Any other way to watch this?

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 07:11 PM

Not that I know of. ESPN3 is what I am watching on. Broadcasting through CST (not sure what it stands for).

Nicholls just picked off a deep Lion pass. Good starting position for Nicholls State.

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 07:14 PM

ESPN. Have both games on simulcast on my appletv

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 07:17 PM
Southeastern goes for another deep ball, falls incomplete. It was a free play. Another third down coming.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Lots of penalties in Hammond. 0:48 left in the half. SELA driving, but now an unnecessary roughness penalty sets them back. Lion has just been throw out for unnecessary roughness. Pulled of a helmet. It was the starting right guard. Boos raining down in Hammond as the refs make the final call.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Another unnecessary roughness on the Lions and another helmet comes off. Getting chippy in Hammond. We head to the half, 14-7 to Nicholls. If this holds, could be onto the playoffs.

McNeese72
November 16th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Not that I know of. ESPN3 is what I am watching on. Broadcasting through CST (not sure what it stands for).

Cox Sports Television

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 08:13 PM
Midway point in the third. We have a good one here in Hammond. NSU leads by a FG, 17-14.

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 08:20 PM
Wow, SELA takes the lead

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2017, 08:21 PM
End of 3. SELA up 21-17. They're gashing Nicholls with big runs ever since their starting QB got hurt. Nicholls' defense better pick it up in the 4th or they're going to slide off the bubble tonight.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 08:21 PM
Southeastern Louisiana just busted a long long run for a touchdown. 21-17 SELA at the end of 3.

If they have as much trouble against the option as they are this week in the playoffs, they won't *want* to be there.

kdinva
November 16th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Say....Nicholls loses, has a 8-3 record.....and either EWU or UNI lose Saturday, finish 6-5.....who goes, who is left out?

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Say....Nicholls loses, has a 8-3 record.....and either EWU or UNI lose Saturday, finish 6-5.....who goes, who is left out?

Samford/Furman/McNeese

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Can someone explain to me why SELA is throwing the football?

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 08:28 PM

The same reason any option team throws the ball when there's nothing broken about the run game.

Coaching Capriciousness.

F'N Hawks
November 16th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Nicholls is not a playoff football team. That's all.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:30 PM
I wondered the same thing...could have run over a minute off the clock; instead ran off only seconds.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2017, 08:35 PM
I love that Furman has gotten to the point that it doesn’t return punts. The punt return man is back there to catch it. That’s it.

There are just so many more things that can go disastrously wrong on a punt return, all for, what, maybe 5 yards?

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 08:35 PM
12:00 minuets to go. Nicholls down 21-17. Playoffs are on the line!

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:37 PM
SeLA just intercepted Nicholls and returned it to the 45.

SeLA 21
Nicholls 17

7:00 left in the 4th quarter

cx500d
12:00 minuets to go. Nicholls down 21-17. Playoffs are on the line!

That's not going to help them

Reign of Terrier
Nicholls throws a pick. SE Louisiana with the ball in Nicholls territory with less than 7 minutes left.

Not looking good for the Colonels

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:38 PM
Again, SeLA, why are you throwing?

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 08:38 PM
and more throwing

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2017, 08:39 PM

I’m going to tie a shock collar to the coaches ankle and buzz him every time he calls a pass.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Nicholls may have just kept themselves from a playoff spot. Damn, getting in would have helped SHSU’s SOS a ton. Maybe they still can. Game is not over!

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Who wants this?

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Nicholls may have just kept themselves from a playoff spot. Damn, getting in would have helped SHSU’s SOS a ton. Maybe they still can. Game is not over!

Yeah SELA is trying hard not to win.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Why, why in the world would you try to catch that punt...

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 08:44 PM
oh my

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Mass chaos.... xlolx

Schism55
#1 with the bonehead play of the year xeyebrowx

Professor Chaos
Second time in a row SELA's punt returner has been clueless back there.

ElCid
November 16th, 2017, 08:46 PM

That was the most stupid decision ever to try and field that after it bounced.

BisonFan02
Review what????

katss07
Wow! Missed opportunity for Nicholls. That really hurts.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2017, 08:47 PM
I’ve been expecting something like that for a while now. That SELA return man wants to house every punt.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:47 PM
Returner had no sight of the defenders bearing down on him...

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Returner had no sight of the defenders bearing down on him...

Yeah he did, he was looking at them rather than the ball.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:50 PM
SeLA should actually hand off the ball one of these plays, rather than keep the ball haha xrotatehx

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Annnnd they are going to get it back. What a game.

BisonFan02
Nice incomplete pass.

cx500d
that qb can't throw for ****

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:52 PM
SeLA really doesn't want to win this game...

PaladinFan
SeLA should actually hand off the ball one of these plays, rather than keep the ball haha xrotatehx

You mean to one of the running backs that can score from anywhere on the field? Why would they do that?

Professor Chaos
Man this is an ugly game.

cx500d
SELA still trying to lose

BisonFan02
And now they get a roughing call.

PaladinFan
Haven’t seen them play all year, but I know why SELA is 5-5.

Schism55
SELA actively tying to lose this game??

SU FAN
Its easy to see why SE LA is 5-5, they are a horribly coached team

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Always unfortunate when you flush the QB out of the pocket, and he still gains 7+ yards

katss07
Its easy to see why SE LA is 5-5, they are a horribly coached team

Ron Roberts is a very good coach, in fact he has turned this program around. The issue tonight is the complete lack of discipline on the players part. Only so much coach can do.

cx500d
The defense seems to be trying to win, but offense and special teams isn't

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Ron Roberts is a very good coach, in fact he has turned this program around. The issue tonight is the complete lack of discipline on the players part. Only so much coach can do.

Some would attribute lack of discipline to coaching.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Especially in special teams...

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 08:57 PM
And Nicholls will NOT make the playoffs this year

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Game over, unless the offense really is trying to lose

katss07
Some would attribute lack of discipline to coaching.

I typically would, but like I said there is only so much a coach can do. He can make a game plan, but it is up to the players to execute.

PaladinFan
If SELA throws a single pass for the rest of the game, I’ve lost faith in humanity.

grizband
Guess SeLA decided they wanted to win...they intercepted Nicholls and have the ball with 1:39 left.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 08:59 PM
You mean to one of the running backs that can score from anywhere on the field? Why would they do that?
See what happens when they hand off? A 5 yard game, and forcing your opponent to use a timeout.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 09:00 PM
What does this do to McNeese's chances? nothing?

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 09:01 PM
It certainly doesn't help them...as someone pointed out, I think McNeese is probably the better team now.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2017, 09:02 PM

Game isn’t over yet. I’m not trusting SELA to close this out.

McNeese75

I makes Sunday morning more interesting

katss07

This hurts and helps at the same time.

Professor Chaos
Helps them I'd say. Anything that weakens the bubble helps them.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Maybe not over yet though. SELA unable to convert.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Nicholls takes over after a SeLA punt; they have :33 to go 75 yards, with no timeouts.

BisonFan02
November 16th, 2017, 09:05 PM
This is brutal to watch......

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Nicholls now has the ball at the SeLA 34 yard line, with :04 left

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 09:06 PM

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 09:06 PM
They made it interesting in the end at least

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 09:07 PM
SeLA intercepts the Nicholls hail mary in the endzone, and win the game 21-17.

Nicholls falls to 8-3, and even the ESPN3 announcers don't expect them to make the playoffs this year.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2017, 09:07 PM
This hurts and helps at the same time.

It helps more than it hurts. Come on, I know you wanted Nicholls to win and get it to help your SOS. You have been ranting about Nicholls being better than McNeese all along. It's just not so.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2017, 09:09 PM
It helps more than it hurts. Come on, I know you wanted Nicholls to win and get it to help your SOS. You have been ranting about Nicholls being better than McNeese all along. It's just not so.

But, I will not be surprised if there are only 2 SLC team come Sunday morning on that board.

gofurman

So is Nicholls out for sure?

KPSUL
SELA defense has some great athletes but did the Offense even make a 1st down in the 4th Qtr? The QB played the 4th with the deer in the headlights look.

KPSUL
November 16th, 2017, 09:11 PM

They slip in behind McNeese, so yes, IMO they're out.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Great season Nicholls State. Fans and alumni should be very proud and excited about the future of this program. Program on the rise IMO. We knew last year this was a good team, and they only further proved it. A loss tonight ends their chances but the playoffs will come. And they sure earned respect for the SLC. They will be back next season. Expect to see them in the field of 24 next season. NSU!

Congrats to SELA on winning your bell. This doesn’t help the Southland, but you guys are also on the rise. Finished with a winning record. Again, congrats on the big win in Hammond tonight. Enjoy the offseason.

McNeese, CONGRATS! You’re still in the running for an at large bid. This loss is big for the Cowboys. Not only does it weaken the bubble, but it knocks out a team that had a case to be ahead of them. If they take care of business on Saturday, the SLC should be a 3 bid conference no matter what.

grizband
SeLA running back on postgame interview just said "if it wasn't for my teammates and coaches, we wouldn't be in the predicament that we're in"

FargoBison

Stick a fork in them, they're done.

USD at 7-4 would be in over them and so would EWU.

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 09:13 PM
I'd say Nichols is out for sure.

We know for a fact that the committee values a 6 D1-win Socon team to a 7 D1-win Southland team.

It happened last year, Samford got in over Southeastern Louisiana.

If Furman loses to Samford Saturday, I think they get in over Nicholls right now. Would they get in over McNeese who would have 8 wins also? probably? I couldn't say.

But a Samford win on saturday squarely knocks Nicholls out and I think Furman looks a lot better than they did 3 hours ago, regardless of outcome.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2017, 09:14 PM
SeLA running back on postgame interview just said "if it wasn't for my teammates and coaches, we wouldn't be in the predicament that we're in"

LOL, I caught that.

cx500d
November 16th, 2017, 09:16 PM

Meaning they lost enough games to be at the end of their season? If they wouldn't have lost all those games they would be in the playoffs.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 09:19 PM

We know for a fact that the committee values a 6 D1-win Socon team to a 7 D1-win Southland team.

If Furman loses to Samford Saturday, I think they get in over Nicholls right now. Would they get in over McNeese who would have 8 wins also? probably? I couldn't say.

But a Samford win on saturday squarely knocks Nicholls out and I think Furman looks a lot better than they did 3 hours ago, regardless of outcome.

No need to talk about how Nicholls could get in. I’ve thought about it, no real possible way. 6-5 ISUr has a better shot even if they lose this weekend. Samford vs Furman is an elimination game. No other way of putting it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Samford won but didn’t get in. I expect they would get in though if they beat a decent Furman team.

uofmman1122
November 16th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Thank you, SELA!

McNeese72
November 16th, 2017, 09:28 PM

If McNeese beats Lamar Saturday, McNeese will have 9 wins and finish 9-2.

FormerPokeCenter
November 16th, 2017, 09:30 PM
And probably get Wofforded on Sunday...

McNeese75
November 16th, 2017, 09:30 PM
If McNeese beats Lamar Saturday, McNeese will have 9 wins and finish 9-2.

8 FCS Wins

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 09:38 PM
McNeese is an win and in case IMO

Reign of Terrier
November 16th, 2017, 09:40 PM
For you McNeese fans out there...in 2002 Wofford finished 9-3, 8-2 against FCS and got left out.

McNeese72
November 16th, 2017, 09:41 PM
For you McNeese fans out there...in 2002 Wofford finished 9-3, 8-2 against FCS and got left out.

If it happens, it happens.

Doc

dwtime
November 16th, 2017, 09:45 PM

Fewer teams in 2002.

McNeese75
November 16th, 2017, 09:47 PM
For you McNeese fans out there...in 2002 Wofford finished 9-3, 8-2 against FCS and got left out.Thus the beginning of "getting woffered" We all remember that incident

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 09:54 PM
If it happens, it happens.

Doc

It shouldn’t happen, and it probably won’t happen. As long as McNeese wins, the committee has no real reason to keep you guys out. No bad losses. Hope you guys make the trip to Huntsville in round two. I would love to see that defense in action live.

gofurman
November 16th, 2017, 09:56 PM
No need to talk about how Nicholls could get in. I’ve thought about it, no real possible way. 6-5 ISUr has a better shot even if they lose this weekend. Samford vs Furman is an elimination game. No other way of putting it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Samford won but didn’t get in. I expect they would get in though if they beat a decent Furman team.

So if sam won, you expect the SoCon is a one bid league? That's pretty crazy considering most people think it's the third toughest league behind the MV and CAA

not saying you are wrong, but you think the SoCon is a possible one bid league? Am I reading that right?

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 10:05 PM
So if sam won, you expect the SoCon is a one bid league? That's pretty crazy considering most people think it's the third toughest league behind the MV and CAA

not saying you are wrong, but you think the SoCon is a possible one bid league? Am I reading that right?

You are reading this correctly. I think the SoCon is the third, maybe fourth toughest conference. But maybe a case of teams beating up on other teams. Furman wins and they are a lock. They win and they are in, it is simple. Lose and they are out. I don’t see how they get in if they lose. Outside of beating down a good WCU team and and an average at best Colgate team, I don’t see them in if they lose to Samford. If the Bulldogs win I think they are in. But they won’t be a lock, considering the bubble this year. Aside from the Kennesaw and Wofford wins, nothing puts them over the top. And that was the worst game that Woffy played all year. Still a win is a win. I think the winner of this is in. But I will not be surprised if Samford wins and doesn’t make it.

Daytripper
November 16th, 2017, 10:33 PM
McNeese wins, I think they are in. Probably one of the last ones in, but in nonetheless.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 05:08 AM
You are reading this correctly. I think the SoCon is the third, maybe fourth toughest conference. But maybe a case of teams beating up on other teams. Furman wins and they are a lock. They win and they are in, it is simple. Lose and they are out. I don’t see how they get in if they lose. Outside of beating down a good WCU team and and an average at best Colgate team, I don’t see them in if they lose to Samford. If the Bulldogs win I think they are in. But they won’t be a lock, considering the bubble this year. Aside from the Kennesaw and Wofford wins, nothing puts them over the top. And that was the worst game that Woffy played all year. Still a win is a win. I think the winner of this is in. But I will not be surprised if Samford wins and doesn’t make it.

Most national writers have Furman in regardless.

Furman has won 7 in a row. They’ve literally crushed teams during that run. They have two FCS losses, both in the first two weeks of the season, both to top 10 teams, by a combined 4 points in the final minute, they have zero losses to “bad” teams (like Samford’s loss to UTC or UNH getting thrashed by Holy Cross). Furman’s strength of schedule is better than UNH’s, all of the Southland’s, and all of the OVC’s.

I’m not saying that’s a lock for the playoffs. But if Furman happens to drop a game on the road to a top 15 team after 7 straight wins, I’d put their resume up against just about anyone’s. If the goal is to select the 24 best teams, you don’t look just at wins and losses, you look at everything.

th0m
November 17th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Nicholls losing definitely helped. Looking better for the socon and big sky for additional teams. Fact remains that if Furman loses they are the third socon team and have only two wins against teams with a winning record.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 06:11 AM
Nicholls losing definitely helped. Looking better for the socon and big sky for additional teams. Fact remains that if Furman loses they are the third socon team and have only two wins against teams with a winning record.

I'm just saying apply the same standard across the board.

Look at New Hampshire. You know how many wins they have over teams with a winning record? One. Elon. Last week. Even if they beat Albany, that won't change.

Do you dock Furman for playing NC State, one of the better teams in the ACC, instead of winless Georgia Southern? Do you dock them because their out of conference schedule included top 10 Elon instead of Bryant?

Both Furman and UNH played Patriot league teams. Furman crushed Colgate (the league's top team) on the road. UNH was hammered by Holy Cross (who Colgate later throttled 45-7).

McNeese has two wins over teams with a winning record - SWAC's Alcorn State and (now) Southeastern Louisiana. Unlike Furman, they didn't play an FBS team. They were hammered by the only ranked team they played (Central Arkansas).

My point is, I don't think that is a more valid criticism of Furman than it is of other bubble teams.

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Most national writers have Furman in regardless.

Furman has won 7 in a row. They’ve literally crushed teams during that run. They have two FCS losses, both in the first two weeks of the season, both to top 10 teams, by a combined 4 points in the final minute, they have zero losses to “bad” teams (like Samford’s loss to UTC or UNH getting thrashed by Holy Cross). Furman’s strength of schedule is better than UNH’s, all of the Southland’s, and all of the OVC’s.

I’m not saying that’s a lock for the playoffs. But if Furman happens to drop a game on the road to a top 15 team after 7 straight wins, I’d put their resume up against just about anyone’s. If the goal is to select the 24 best teams, you don’t look just at wins and losses, you look at everything.

Their best win durring that run was against WCU. Sure, all three Furman losses are “good losses”. But here we are with the final weekend a few hours from kicking off, and Furman is still in the bubble conversation. I think that is because they have lost all of their big games. Sure, a win and they are in. But don’t expect to be in the playoffs if you lose to Samford.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 06:20 AM
Their best win durring that run was against WCU. Sure, all three Furman losses are “good losses”. But here we are with the final weekend a few hours from kicking off, and Furman is still in the bubble conversation. I think that is because they have lost all of their big games. Sure, a win and they are in. But don’t expect to be in the playoffs if you lose to Samford.

You mean other than the road win against top 25 Western Carolina?

Furman is in the bubble conversation because they have 3 losses (like every other 3 loss team). I'm just saying their resume is a lot better than most of those other teams (probably all of them).

Besides, my guess is you haven't watched much Furman football the last two months.

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 06:25 AM
You mean other than the road win against top 25 Western Carolina?

Furman is in the bubble conversation because they have 3 losses (like every other 3 loss team). I'm just saying their resume is a lot better than most of those other teams (probably all of them).

Besides, my guess is you haven't watched much Furman football the last two months.

No, I watched some of the Wofford game but that was about it. Still, I have seen them play.

I think Furman is a good team that could make noise in the playoffs if given the opportunity. But lose to Samford, you are out. Too many better 4 loss teams IMO. Plus, the committee will put Samford in if they win most likely and that hurts Furmans case too.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 06:29 AM
No, I watched some of the Wofford game but that was about it. Still, I have seen them play.

I think Furman is a good team that could make noise in the playoffs if given the opportunity. But lose to Samford, you are out. Too many better 4 loss teams IMO. Plus, the committee will put Samford in if they win most likely and that hurts Furmans case too.

That's a value judgment, not a fact.

Furman played Wofford in week 1 on the road with a brand new coaching staff and 20 something freshmen. Lost by one. They are not the same team you saw.

Who is a better four loss team? Honestly.

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 06:32 AM
That's a value judgment, not a fact.

Furman played Wofford in week 1 on the road with a brand new coaching staff and 20 something freshmen. Lost by one. They are not the same team you saw.

Who is a better four loss team? Honestly.

EWU, UNI, ISUr, APSU

th0m
November 17th, 2017, 06:33 AM
I think the selection committee only looks at fbs wins, not fbs losses. Whether that helps furman or not, not sure. Depends if they then see 7-3 squad vs a 8-3 squad (furman v unh) or smth.

You make some decent points and definitely the better quality win of elon vs wcu is offset by the bad loss to hc. Unfortunately the elon game is a direct comparison and the hc loss who lost to colgate is an indirect one. If you go that route there are these sites that show routes where any team beats any other team as long as you have enoug degrees of separation. An exageration, but still.

Around this time of the year it always becomes a balance of what we (somewhat knowledgeable fans) and the committee think are playoff teams. No doubt furman is a playoff caliber team imo, but at least based on perception, if it comes down to a 7-4 furman, 8-3 unh, and 9-2 mcneese (8-2 technically), i feel furman would draw the short straw. I hope i'm wrong (or just win and its a moot point) because a JMU furman rematch after the 2004 game would be cool.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 06:39 AM
EWU, UNI, ISUr, APSU

But here we are again.

You know how many teams with a winning record Eastern Washington has beaten? Two (Montana and Sacramento State). You know how many top 25 teams? None. They've lost all their big games.

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 06:41 AM
All of these bubble teams would have a case over Furman IF they lose. I actually think they are going to win, but if the dont...
NAU
EWU
Montana
Loser of Kennesaw-Monmouth
Deleware
UNH
UNI
ISUr (if they beat the Bison)
USD
McNeese
Samford

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 06:42 AM
I think the selection committee only looks at fbs wins, not fbs losses. Whether that helps furman or not, not sure. Depends if they then see 7-3 squad vs a 8-3 squad (furman v unh) or smth.

You make some decent points and definitely the better quality win of elon vs wcu is offset by the bad loss to hc. Unfortunately the elon game is a direct comparison and the hc loss who lost to colgate is an indirect one. If you go that route there are these sites that show routes where any team beats any other team as long as you have enoug degrees of separation. An exageration, but still.

Around this time of the year it always becomes a balance of what we (somewhat knowledgeable fans) and the committee think are playoff teams. No doubt furman is a playoff caliber team imo, but at least based on perception, if it comes down to a 7-4 furman, 8-3 unh, and 9-2 mcneese (8-2 technically), i feel furman would draw the short straw. I hope i'm wrong (or just win and its a moot point) because a JMU furman rematch after the 2004 game would be cool.

I mean, if we go down the line, you can put in all sorts of factors.

UNH played Elon last week. Furman played them in week 2. Again, brand new coaching staff, new players, new systems, new everything.

Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn't. As I look at the CFB Playoff at the FBS level, the committee looks at teams as they exist right now, not as they existed several months ago. Sure, wins and losses play a role, but in selecting the 24 best teams, I don't think that a committee will simply dismiss Furman. They'll look at the bubble teams and say "who is a better team?" I'll put Furman's resume up against New Hampshire's any day.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 06:44 AM
All of these bubble teams would have a case over Furman IF they lose. I actually think they are going to win, but if the dont...
NAU
EWU
Montana
Loser of Kennesaw-Monmouth
Deleware
UNH
UNI
ISUr (if they beat the Bison)
USD
McNeese
Samford

Not going to happen. Seriously, look at Monmouth's schedule.

KSU has a better claim because they beat one of the Big Sky's marquee teams on the road.

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 06:46 AM

KSU has a better claim because they beat one of the Big Sky's marquee teams on the road.

You’re right. If Kennesaw loses, they get in I think. They are a team that would get in over Furman potentially. Monmouth would need some help.

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Furman is a sleeper

Nicholls State is a creeper

ASU33
November 17th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Welp the Lions killed all of that!

McCowboys
November 17th, 2017, 07:35 AM

SLU's offensive coordinator must be taking advice from McNeese's offensive coordinator on how to run out the clock. xcoffeex

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 07:39 AM
SLU's offensive coordinator must be taking advice from McNeese's offensive coordinator on how to run out the clock. xcoffeex

I've seen a more than a few Furman games with that sort of decision making.

I mean, if you've got a QB that can hit a receiver, sure, try it now and then. SELA was running over Nicholls and had a QB that couldn't hit the broad side of a red barn with a football.

McCowboys
November 17th, 2017, 08:20 AM
I've seen a more than a few Furman games with that sort of decision making.

I mean, if you've got a QB that can hit a receiver, sure, try it now and then. SELA was running over Nicholls and had a QB that couldn't hit the broad side of a red barn with a football.

I am agreeing with you!
McNeese has played games where our running backs are bulldozing over people, but we insist on attempting to pass -- often unsuccesfully which stops the clock -- even though we are having so much success running the ball.
And then in one game, I cannot tell you how many times our running backs would step out of bounds, stopping the clock, rather than staying in bounds to keep the clock running.

WrenFGun
November 17th, 2017, 08:27 AM
For me, I'd be more concerned with Furman than a lot of the teams in the top 10, including Wofford. That's the best team in the SoCON IMO. I expect them to beat Samford but unfortunately they may still be on the wrong end of the stick with a loss given the tight bubble, though the Nicholls loss helped!

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I am agreeing with you!
McNeese has played games where our running backs are bulldozing over people, but we insist on attempting to pass -- often unsuccesfully which stops the clock -- even though we are having so much success running the ball.
And then in one game, I cannot tell you how many times our running backs would step out of bounds, stopping the clock, rather than staying in bounds to keep the clock running.

Coaches tend to out-think themselves.

I'm pretty much in the "keep doing it until they prove they can stop it" category.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 08:46 AM
For me, I'd be more concerned with Furman than a lot of the teams in the top 10, including Wofford. That's the best team in the SoCON IMO. I expect them to beat Samford but unfortunately they may still be on the wrong end of the stick with a loss given the tight bubble, though the Nicholls loss helped!

We'll see. I'm hoping we just settle the matter tomorrow in Birmingham.

I do think your subject assessment is one I hope the committee shares. If we take a loss and look at the 7-4 teams, does the committee see Furman as the currently most impressive team in the SoCon? Who knows.

KPSUL
November 17th, 2017, 09:05 AM
EWU, UNI, ISUr, APSU

Ill St. must beat NDSU to get to 7-4, if they do, no question they'd have a better resume than Furman.

UNI only needs to beat conference 0-7 to reach 7-4, and with wins over SDSU and USD they would have a better resume than Furman.

But I disagree on EWU and APSU.

Terrier19
November 17th, 2017, 09:18 AM

Oh yeah?? lol.......

kalm
November 17th, 2017, 09:56 AM

No they didn't.

kalm
November 17th, 2017, 10:06 AM

But here we are again.

You know how many teams with a winning record Eastern Washington has beaten? Two (Montana and Sacramento State). You know how many top 25 teams? None. They've lost all their big games.

Which is exactly why I'm not sure a 7-4 EWU gets and the same case can even be made for an 8-3 Montana.

Yet, objectively speaking, Furman's two best wins (WCU and Merced) are no better than EWU's (UM and Sac). You could even make a case that Sac's really good win over SUU trumps Furman's quality win argument. Plus, Sac has a noticeably stronger schedule and EWU's top 10 SOS is WAY better than Furman's.

And to diminish another one of your argument's EWU also started the season with new coaching staff.

I'm not saying Furman doesn't get in or shouldn't but cocksuredly putting them ahead of all the 7-4's is ridiculous.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Which is exactly why I'm not sure a 7-4 EWU gets and the same case can even be made for an 8-3 Montana.

Yet, objectively speaking, Furman's two best wins (WCU and Merced) are no better than EWU's (UM and Sac). You could even make a case that Sac's really good win over SUU trumps Furman's quality win argument. Plus, Sac has a noticeably stronger schedule and EWU's top 10 SOS is WAY better than Furman's.

And to diminish another one of your argument's EWU also started the season with new coaching staff.

I'm not saying Furman doesn't get in or shouldn't but cocksuredly putting them ahead of all the 7-4's is ridiculous.

Who says I am putting them in at 7-4?

I said that most national writers have, and I think there are arguments as to why they should be, but there is very little certain for any at large team.

I've said the same thing over and over, you can make an argument for or against any team on the bubble. You can nitpick their schedule. You can nitpick their wins and losses. You can nitpick the wins and losses of their wins and losses. It's all irrelevant at this point. There are a lot of teams with an argument for inclusion at 7-4. My point is that I disagree with those that say Furman is unequivocally out with a loss. I just don't see it that way.

kalm
November 17th, 2017, 10:54 AM

Who says I am putting them in at 7-4?

I said that most national writers have, and I think there are arguments as to why they should be, but there is very little certain for any at large team.

I've said the same thing over and over, you can make an argument for or against any team on the bubble. You can nitpick their schedule. You can nitpick their wins and losses. You can nitpick the wins and losses of their wins and losses. It's all irrelevant at this point. There are a lot of teams with an argument for inclusion at 7-4. My point is that I disagree with those that say Furman is unequivocally out with a loss. I just don't see it that way.

My bad. I thought you were including Furman when you asked which 7-4 teams are better.

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 11:09 AM
My bad. I thought you were including Furman when you asked which 7-4 teams are better.

I think Furman would run Monmouth out of the stadium, but that's irrelevant to the discussion xthumbsupx

gofurman
November 17th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Oh yeah?? lol.......

Woff. 20-16 over Citadel
Furman. 56-20 over Citadel

Furman by 30 Over UTC.
Woff in OT Over UTC

Furman 28-6 Over Western
Woff OT Over Western
Etc
Not close. Woff beat FU. Sure. Game 1. New coaches. New 3/4 D. Never run that. 25 freshman have played. Then we were close and Woff won by a point. . Your son plays there. I know . But c’mon. You think NOW Woff is Better? There’s a reason YT is already picking FU to win SoCon next year

Also. Fu played Sam, WCU and Woff on road. All. Woff had all at home

Terrier19
November 17th, 2017, 12:35 PM
Woff. 20-16 over Citadel

Furman by 30 Over UTC.
Woff in OT Over UTC

Furman 28-6 Over Western
Woff OT Over Western
Etc
Not close. Woff beat FU. Sure. Game 1. New coaches. New 3/4 D. Never run that. 25 freshman have played. Then we were close and Woff won by a point. . Your son plays there. I know . But c’mon. You think NOW Woff is Better? There’s a reason YT is already picking FU to win SoCon next year

...and Wofford beat Furman.....shrugs

Terrier19
November 17th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Woff. 20-16 over Citadel

Furman by 30 Over UTC.
Woff in OT Over UTC

Furman 28-6 Over Western
Woff OT Over Western
Etc

I speak on whats proven...you speak on conjecture. Big difference. Wofford beat FUrman FACTS.....regardless of when or where it was.....Wofford beat Furman last season as well FACTS.......
Wofford is 15-2 in the last 17 games played dating to last season...1 a double OT loss to Youngstown in the Quarterfinals of the playoffs....one a field goal loss to a good Samford team......

You can't talk tough about Furman being better than Wofford when you haven't proven that........I couldn't care less how much you beat teams by.....Notice the 1 team you can't list on that list and how much you beat them by.....you want to say your better than Wofford.....beat em then talk....otherwise keep poking your chest out about how much you have beaten like teams.....

You are hyped about being picked 7th preseason and exceeding that.........great....Wofford was picked first and finished.....FIRST......9-1....Beat Furman.....I don't have to point to anything other than the fact Wofford beat Furman and has done nothing to lose its grasp of the top spot......I truly hope Furman finds its way back to sparkle city in these playoffs.......We can then show you again..........

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Woff. 20-16 over Citadel

Furman by 30 Over UTC.
Woff in OT Over UTC

Furman 28-6 Over Western
Woff OT Over Western
Etc

No, the reason why I pick Furman to win the socon next year is because I think they'll get left out of the playoffs which will motivate them to win it next year. xcoffeex I also think it's likely that they drop a little bit due to hype and no longer having Blazejowskixcoffeex

It's a dumb and moot point to compare how Wofford has played teams and how Furman has played teams and using scoreboards as an indicator of how much better one team is over the other. It's true Wofford's squeaked by teams this year. 8 games were close and decided in the fourth quarter. That's a huge drop off from last year where in the regular season...8 games were close and decided in the fourth quarter (note the sarcasm). We played a much softer schedule last year and the Socon was definitely weaker (ETSU especially)

I'll gladly concede Furman's offense is better and more consistent than Wofford's, but it's just a matter of fact that the only team we've laid 40 on in the last 3 years is VMI (twice). It's a systemic problem we have, that I would like to see fixed, but our defense is good enough to keep us in games and in spite of this systemic problem we made it to the quarterfinals last year and could well do the same this year.

Just because Wofford has that systemic problem doesn't mean that Furman as an overall team is head and shoulders above anyone or Wofford for that matter. It's a point with strong evidence behind it; it's possible that Furman's offense carries them to Frisco. But there's enough reason to doubt that is the case based upon how Furman's defense performs against quality opponents (having the worst pass defense in the conference is bad when you don't play yourself or haven't played Samford yet).

Basically, barring a rematch in the playoffs (which is likely), we can't really speculate how good either team is compared to each other with enough certainty. If Furman loses to Samford I feel comfortable enough to say Wofford's better than them and if Furman wins, well we'll see them in Spartanburg December 3rd.

gofurman
November 17th, 2017, 04:02 PM
I speak on whats proven...you speak on conjecture. Big difference. Wofford beat FUrman FACTS.....regardless of when or where it was.....Wofford beat Furman last season as well FACTS.......
Wofford is 15-2 in the last 17 games played dating to last season...1 a double OT loss to Youngstown in the Quarterfinals of the playoffs....one a field goal loss to a good Samford team......

You can't talk tough about Furman being better than Wofford when you haven't proven that........I couldn't care less how much you beat teams by.....Notice the 1 team you can't list on that list and how much you beat them by.....you want to say your better than Wofford.....beat em then talk....otherwise keep poking your chest out about how much you have beaten like teams.....

You are hyped about being picked 7th preseason and exceeding that.........great....Wofford was picked first and finished.....FIRST......9-1....Beat Furman.....I don't have to point to anything other than the fact Wofford beat Furman and has done nothing to lose its grasp of the top spot......I truly hope Furman finds its way back to sparkle city in these playoffs.......We can then show you again..........

I am going to bold the key points as I see them. key points in bold.. questions underline - no need to get all tense here. Interested in your thoughts on questions.

Chill out. Everyone take a breath. I didn’t speak on so much conjecture. Those comparison scores i listed are.. as you say.. FACTS. Not conjecture. they are absolute FACTS. . Wofford beat Furman this year. that is a FACT. You are right. Furman OWNS Wofford. FACT - like 53-31-7 or something. In my opinion it never will even up. Ayers has a losing record vs Furman. FACT. Wofford was D2 many years so it’s not a fair comparison. FACT. (See my objectivity?). But if we allow the D2 v D1 argument we should allow that this year it we had a young team w new coaches, new defense etc v a Senior Wofford team running same plays they have practiced last 4 years - when is worst game for ‘brand new team? Games 1 and 2. Before they figure it out. Coincidence those are our losses? Think not

Look. Wofford best us this year in September. That’s a fact (I have said that twice now !) lol

Another FACT - Wofford plays for SoCon titles. Furman plays for NATIONAL titles. Just heckling you a lil. Furman - 3 national title game (85, 88, 01) appearances. One national title. Another semifinal in 2005. Our singular 2005 is equal to the farthest I think Wofford has ever gone. **Didn’t Wofford make the semifinal once? Delaware? That is farthest right - semifinal? I just looked on Wiki -2003 I think. And Wofford has done a great job carrying SoCon mantle past few years w Citadel. Superb ! I mean that.

— Look let’s chill. YT and all are generally pretty objective. Good fans. The only point above.i find interesting for question... you think Furman wins SoCon next year if we don’t make playoffs but if we make playoffs we Don’t win SoCon next year? A little odd. I don’t say we are winning SoCon next year (i think we will be good but top teams are close, though I think we might be the preseason favorite) but I do think Teams benefit (esp young teams) from playoffs as extra practices. *Wouldn’t you agree? Most coaches will say that they like extra practices

gofurman
November 17th, 2017, 04:27 PM
No, the reason why I pick Furman to win the socon next year is because I think they'll get left out of the playoffs which will motivate them to win it next year. xcoffeex I also think it's likely that they drop a little bit due to hype and no longer having Blazejowskixcoffeex

It's a dumb and moot point to compare how Wofford has played teams and how Furman has played teams and using scoreboards as an indicator of how much better one team is over the other. It's true Wofford's squeaked by teams this year. 8 games were close and decided in the fourth quarter. That's a huge drop off from last year where in the regular season...8 games were close and decided in the fourth quarter (note the sarcasm). We played a much softer schedule last year and the Socon was definitely weaker (ETSU especially)

I'll gladly concede Furman's offense is better and more consistent than Wofford's, but it's just a matter of fact that the only team we've laid 40 on in the last 3 years is VMI (twice). It's a systemic problem we have, that I would like to see fixed, but our defense is good enough to keep us in games and in spite of this systemic problem we made it to the quarterfinals last year and could well do the same this year.

Just because Wofford has that systemic problem doesn't mean that Furman as an overall team is head and shoulders above anyone or Wofford for that matter. It's a point with strong evidence behind it; it's possible that Furman's offense carries them to Frisco. But there's enough reason to doubt that is the case based upon how Furman's defense performs against quality opponents (having the worst pass defense in the conference is bad when you don't play yourself or haven't played Samford yet).

Basically, barring a rematch in the playoffs (which is likely), we can't really speculate how good either team is compared to each other with enough certainty. If Furman loses to Samford I feel comfortable enough to say Wofford's better than them and if Furman wins, well we'll see them in Spartanburg December 3rd.

Frisco? Frisco? (Allen Iverson 'practice' ?) -I would love to just get in playoffs... We were supposed to he the 7th team. We ain't the 7th team that is a Fact. But that is not why I am excited. I am excited bc I can see the change occuring. Good for fu. Good for SoCon.

good luck to any SoCon in playoffs

Congrats to Wofford on winning SoCon title !

katss07
November 17th, 2017, 04:45 PM
Yeah sorry. The road to Frisco for Furman would probably run through Huntsville. The Kats would “Eat Em Up”. Jokes aside, if I were a Furman fan, just getting in would sound great to me. Huge step in right direction for this program.

KPSUL
November 17th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Great thread theft SoCon; nicely done!

PaladinFan
November 17th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Yeah sorry. The road to Frisco for Furman would probably run through Huntsville. The Kats would “Eat Em Up”. Jokes aside, if I were a Furman fan, just getting in would sound great to me. Huge step in right direction for this program.

That is where I am. We’d all like to be in the post season (and, more than that, win a SoCon title), but seeing this team play like they have most of this season has just been encouraging for the future.

PantherRob82
November 17th, 2017, 06:27 PM
The only way a SoCon team makes the quarters is if one of them is seeded and plays another SoCon team in the second round. xrulesx

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2017, 06:34 PM
Great thread theft SoCon; nicely done!

I mean, let's be real, at least 1/3 of the reason why Furman is so full of themselves is the fact that they've outscored Wofford, so I have to hijack it in that direction.