2.) James Madison Dukes
3.) Montana State Bobcats
4.) North Dakota State Bison
5.) Jacksonville State Gamecocks

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/football/fcs

Let the flame war begin!

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Looks to me like the top 5 in home attendance in the FCS in order???

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Montana State draws fans?

jmufan999
November 15th, 2017, 01:15 PM

JMU was #1 before last week, I don't know how to find updated standings. pretty sure our game was sold out so my guess would be that we're still #1.

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Negative. This list by average season attendance this season would look like this:

1.) JMU
2.) Montana
3.) NDSU
4.) JSU (a 15k rain game will do that)
5.) Montana State

NDSU is leading JSU by about 100 but we're expecting a crowd of 22,000+ for tomorrow night so it will likely flip.

Even last season NDSU averaged more than the Bobcats.

DFW HOYA
November 15th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Based on what factors?

Professor Chaos
Averaging 18,359 on the year. Although if my calculations are right NDSU is just a hair in front of them average 18,637. Montana St was averaging over 19,000 before their last 2 home games against Idaho St and Kennesaw.

Silenoz

It's more of an anti-Montana Grizzly coalition, but yes, they go to football games in Bozeman and wear pee-yellow

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Averaging 18,359 on the year. Although if my calculations are right NDSU is just a hair in front of them average 18,637. Montana St was averaging over 19,000 before their last 2 home games against Idaho St and Kennesaw.

I would have never guessed.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Negative. This list by average season attendance this season would look like this:

1.) JMU
2.) Montana
3.) NDSU
4.) JSU (a 15k rain game will do that)
5.) Montana State

NDSU is leading JSU by about 100 but we're expecting a crowd of 22,000+ for tomorrow night so it will likely flip.

Even last season NDSU averaged more than the Bobcats.
I see. Well then who knows what the criteria is. I would argue but it's so subjective it's not really worth it.

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 01:20 PM
We're right in the mix at 18,553.

Until tomorrow anyway. Hopefully.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Btw, UND's president says it's only 2 more years before they're in this list: UND committee wants football experience to be best in the FCS (http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/4302302-und-committee-wants-football-experience-be-best-fcs)

LUHawker
November 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Use of the word "top" is questionable. Seems more like a correlation with the "largest" fan bases or attendance. "Top" to me means best or most rabid, etc., not just the largest. Some of these places are literally, the only game in town, so hard to compare with more populated areas that have many more options for Saturday events.

Enrollments
JMU: 22k
NDSU: 14.5k
Montana: 12.4k
Montana St: 16.7k
Jax St: 8.5k

For comparison some smaller, but decent fan bases:

Lehigh: 7k
Lafayette: 2.5k
Wofford: 2k
Furman: 3k
Richmond: 4.2k

Naturally the larger schools are going to have more attendance, so this is hardly a revealing stat.

Professor
November 15th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Use of the word "top" is questionable. Seems more like a correlation with the "largest" fan bases or attendance. "Top" to me means best or most rabid, etc., not just the largest. Some of these places are literally, the only game in town, so hard to compare with more populated areas that have many more options for Saturday events.

Enrollments

Naturally the larger schools are going to have more attendance, so this is hardly a revealing stat.

Ding Ding Ding

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 01:36 PM

Enrollments

Oddly enough the bottom 5 schools might be the whiniest 5 FCS Fanbases. xlolxxpeacex

ASU33
November 15th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Interesting listxcoffeex

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 01:42 PM

Enrollments

Undergrad enrollment doesn't have much to do with it. Location and the corresponding competition does but there are plenty of FCS schools out there with larger enrollments than NDSU, Montana, Montana St, and JSU that draw significantly less fans to their football games.

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Yeah, attendance list. JSU wouldn’t be on this list if it were a true fan base rank. And NDSU below JMU, Montana St? Please! NDSU is second only to Montana and only just barely. But I guess this is a reasonable top 5. Not awful.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 01:47 PM
I would think at least one HBCU should be on the list.

walliver
November 15th, 2017, 01:48 PM

Enrollments

You need to include The Citadel in that. Although they only have 3K undergrads, they were at one time a consistent top ten team in attendance, even when ASU and GSU were I-AA/FCS. Their stadium gets smaller and smaller every year, and attendance is down, but they still routinely draw 3 times their enrollment to each game (mandatory cadet attendance does help that number somewhat). And most of their fans aren't Citdog.

Silenoz
November 15th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Yeah, attendance list. JSU wouldn’t be on this list if it were a true fan base rank. And NDSU below JMU, Montana St? Please! NDSU is second only to Montana and only just barely. But I guess this is a reasonable top 5. Not awful.
I dunno, Montana State fans have become pretty dedicated (at least since 2010), despite being various degrees of mediocre or awful for most of that. That has to say something. Granted part of that is due to them being convinced they're always on the verge of winning a championship...

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Whoever made this list never went to an A&T, FAMU or SU football game.

Gil Dobie
November 15th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Here's another angle of fan loyalty. I would think the western fans, like Montana, MSU and NDSU, have fans that travel further to get to home games, due to cities being farther apart and being in less populated areas.

ASU33
November 15th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Jackson State, Florida A&M, Southern..................at least one of those but the HBCU fan is a different type of fan. We average around 14k at home but two weeks ago we took every bit of 20,000 on the road to Jackson State because it was their homecoming. Southern will take over a city but won't draw as many for certain home games. HBCU fans are like that.

grizband
November 15th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I believe this is based on the final attendance figures for last year.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Is A&T even Top 5 FCS HBCU?

ajc4jsu
November 15th, 2017, 02:18 PM

Explain your point please?

LehighU11
November 15th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Hopefully Delaware can manage to get back to top 5 in attendance (and schedule some home-and-home series with Lehigh while they're at it).

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Explain your point please?

Did I not just do that? I said JSU does not have a top 5 fanbase. They might be top 10, not top 5. They have good attendance, but the large stadium helps and being good helps. If JSU was bad would fans show? At Montana, NDSU, Montana St, JMU fans all would show up in down years. In the SLC, I know SHSU, SFA and McNeese fans show up even when the team is bad. In 2010, JSU averaged half of what they get now. That was in a good season for them. They qualified for the playoffs. My point here is clear. JSU has attendance, but not a top 5 fan base. I have been to a JSU game (2014 playoff game that SHSU won) and the atmosphere was nowhere near the likes of Montana St, NDSU or McNeese.

Catbooster
November 15th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Did I not just do that? I said JSU does not have a top 5 fanbase. They might be top 10, not top 5. They have good attendance, but the large stadium helps and being good helps. If JSU was bad would fans show? At Montana, NDSU, Montana St, JMU fans all would show up in down years. In the SLC, I know SHSU, SFA and McNeese fans show up even when the team is bad. In 2010, JSU averaged half of what they get now. That was in a good season for them. They qualified for the playoffs. My point here is clear. JSU has attendance, but not a top 5 fan base. I have been to a JSU game (2014 playoff game that SHSU won) and the atmosphere was nowhere near the likes of Montana St, NDSU or McNeese.
We're proving that for the last couple years. xdrunkyx Wish we didn't have to. :(

ajc4jsu
November 15th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Now I got it. So when we were awful for decades after we moved up, and averaged around 10,000 in a 10,000 seat stadium, that was bad. So we expanded the stadium, now have 20,000 in a 23,000 seat stadium, we are still bad.

SHSU fan show? You have about 3500 a game. There is more than that at the Huntsville, Texas Wal-Mart.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2017, 03:48 PM
Is A&T even Top 5 FCS HBCU?

Yes, and were top 15 in FCS Attendance

phoenix3
November 15th, 2017, 03:59 PM
This is a fact, at least for A&T. I think their stadium holds 23k and in the past 4-5 years I've never seen it less than packed & loud.

Great tailgaiting too.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 15th, 2017, 04:04 PM
I was really impressed with Montana State's fan base when I lived in Bozeman. They would travel from all corners of the enormous state in some of the worst weather imaginable. I lived there when they were still highly ranked so I'm not sure how its been since things have tailed off.

Griz fans are the same way. Extremely loyal and their dedication to travel large distances is very commendable.

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Now I got it. So when we were awful for decades after we moved up, and averaged around 10,000 in a 10,000 seat stadium, that was bad. So we expanded the stadium, now have 20,000 in a 23,000 seat stadium, we are still bad.

SHSU fan show? You have about 3500 a game. There is more than that at the Huntsville, Texas Wal-Mart.

We average 9,000 in a 12,000 seat stadium. We sold out a game this season. Our playoff atmosphere can get electric. Ask any Montana St or Montana fans from 2011. The game I was at in Jacksonville, after the first quarter you could hear a pin drop. The fans were nice but I could’ve sworn I saw a few sitting on their hands.

Talk about Wal-Mart. Your team is located in the butthole that is Jacksonville. You probably go out to dinner at Wal-Mart after games.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2017, 04:12 PM
I was really impressed with Montana State's fan base when I lived in Bozeman. They would travel from all corners of the enormous state in some of the worst weather imaginable. I lived there when they were still highly ranked so I'm not sure how its been since things have tailed off.

Griz fans are the same way. Extremely loyal and their dedication to travel large distances is very commendable.

The schools are the flagship schools of the state. That behavior should be expected.

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 04:13 PM
We average 9,000 in a 12,000 seat stadium. We sold out a game this season. Our playoff atmosphere can get electric. Ask any Montana St or Montana fans from 2011. The game I was at in Jacksonville, after the first quarter you could hear a pin drop. The fans were nice but I could’ve sworn I saw a few sitting on their hands.

Talk about Wal-Mart. Your team is located in the butthole that is Jacksonville. You probably go out to dinner at Wal-Mart after games.

There's not enough air in the world to supply the amount of laughter that this post deserves.

You guys have average 4500 in the playoffs. Our worst attended game in the past 4 years was more than double that in the rain.

Thanks for playing.

There are more people in this end zone than have ever been in Bowers for a playoff game.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171115/cca176d3713b2fdbfda3b668f3a82398.jpg

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 04:23 PM
There's not enough air in the world to supply the amount of laughter that this post deserves.

You guys have average 4500 in the playoffs. Our worst attended game in the past 4 years was more than double that in the rain.

Thanks for playing.

I think first round games drag that down a bit and the fact that SHSU has not been a playoff team very often. We have never lost at home in the postseason. Keep your eye on our second round game this year.

When we play in the quarterfinals on at home, we get good crowds. Again ask Montana St or Montana fans about their games here. Have you ever made a game in Huntsville.

Quarterfinal, Semifinal attendance at Bowers: 9,376 12,367 & 7,461
Considering the game against Colgate was in the rain and there were weather threats (a tornado touched down 30 miles south later that evening) not bad. Bowers is a 12,000 seat stadium.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Thanks for playing.

There are more people in this end zone than have ever been in Bowers for a playoff game.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171115/cca176d3713b2fdbfda3b668f3a82398.jpg
That's a cute little video board. Let me know when you guys are done with it... I may buy it for my basement. :D

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 04:34 PM
That's a cute little video board. Let me know when you guys are done with it... I may but it for my basement. :D
We've already replaced it. That's from 2015.

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 04:35 PM
That's a cute little video board. :D

It really is. I hope he has seen Sams. I’m done with this argument. Clearly our opinions are a little biased, but I hope to be on the way to Jacksonville in a few weeks. Maybe the experience will be a bit better than last time but the game has the same outcome...a Bearkats victory!

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 04:35 PM
We've already replaced it. That's from 2015.
https://media.giphy.com/media/baDHsD0Bk3K5a/giphy-downsized-large.gif

ajc4jsu
November 15th, 2017, 04:36 PM
I think first round games drag that down a bit and the fact that SHSU has not been a playoff team very often. We have never lost at home in the postseason. Keep your eye on our second round game this year.

When we play in the quarterfinals on at home, we get good crowds. Again ask Montana St or Montana fans about their games here. Have you ever made a game in Huntsville.

Quarterfinal, Semifinal attendance at Bowers: 9,376 12,367 & 7,461
Considering the game against Colgate was in the rain and there were weather threats (a tornado touched down 30 miles south later that evening) not bad. Bowers is a 12,000 seat stadium.

I went to the Northwestern State Game back in October with a co-worker and SHSU grad. I would say there were around 5,000 there. Since I have seen your campus and now read your comments, I would not throw stones at any other town. I enjoyed my day there and it is a nice small stadium. Crowd was silent for three quarters, but livened up when you came from behind to beat a one win team. It was a 4:00 kick on a 85ish sunny day. I am sure you have some reason why no one was there.

Reign of Terrier
November 15th, 2017, 04:43 PM
2 things:

1) When Wofford played JSU at JSU in the playoffs 10 years ago, it was obvious how having games over Thanksgiving Weekend was terrible because of how bad the attendance was. Not knocking JSU (I totally understand) and would love to see a Wofford game there with better attendance.

2) I want to go to a Montana game at some point. It's like $2k to get there from here on short notice (like a playoff game) but I still want it to happen.

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 05:24 PM
It really is. I hope he has seen Sams. I’m done with this argument. Clearly our opinions are a little biased, but I hope to be on the way to Jacksonville in a few weeks. Maybe the experience will be a bit better than last time but the game has the same outcome...a Bearkats victory!
I have seen Sam's. It's a very nice board. Same length as ours but about 14 feet taller. Wish we could have gotten one like it but we just dropped $7M on a new baseball stadium and the $2M that was approved for the boards went to upgrading the softball, baseball, and soccer complexes as well.

If we had went any bigger than what we got we would have had to redo the frame and foundation that held up the board. The new one fits right on to the old frame and replacing the frame and everything would have made the cost skyrocket.

That said, I'll take a Gameday atmosphere with 20-23k+ in attendance over a Gameday with 5k-10k and a bigger board.

I'll take this over a tiny half empty stadium 7 days a week.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171115/1d7f647571cc609193a505194154b280.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171115/240918a3fc0d9749ffb46211d6faf1ed.jpg

TheRevSFA
November 15th, 2017, 05:46 PM

You don’t average 9k. Not counting SFA attendance and the game in Waco, you average 7900.

Your crowd sucks because the blue hairs ruin it, and you can’t get alumni to show. Pretty insulting to a good team

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 05:59 PM
You don’t average 9k. Not counting SFA attendance and the game in Waco, you average 7900.

Your crowd sucks because the blue hairs ruin it, and you can’t get alumni to show. Pretty insulting to a good team
Fun Fact: Austin Peay is averaging 8400 a game. :D

mmiller_34
November 15th, 2017, 06:24 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171115/240918a3fc0d9749ffb46211d6faf1ed.jpg

We win scoreboard battle:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Student_Section.png

You SHALL NOT ask why our best student section this year was versus Dusquesne or any other questions regarding SDSU attendance. Just know there is a reason we are no where close to making this list.

https://pa1.narvii.com/6349/a36e68802c59e49b984f6b7ae859829f3c7d1a85_hq.gif

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Look, I get JSU has a better fan base than SHSU. I never said they didn’t. Recently you guys have had nice attendance numbers, the video board update looks good and you are doing well on the field. I get it. But attendance isn’t everything is it? I think SHSU has a better fanbase than Austin Peay. Now I didn’t realize we were averaging that little, I’m sure the game against UIW where we had 5,000 brought us down a bit.

All I am stating is that my personal opinion is there are better fan bases than JSU. A few actually. I didn’t say Sam is one of them. SHSU might be a top 30 fanbase, but they are not on JSU’s level. Hell, SFA outdoes us in attendance some years. What I am saying is we have a pretty good fanbase and we can draw a crowd. Sure we have games where we draw 5,000 or 7,000 people. But look at the game against Nicholls this year. Bowers was sold out! Almost 12,000! Thats weak for JSU, but thats capacity for us. And when we host big time games such as playoff games or big OOC regular season games, we get good crowds.

2011 vs Montana St(playoff) 9,000
2011 vs Montana (playoff) 12,000
2012 vs McNeese 11,000
2013 vs EWU 10,000
2015 vs Lamar 11,000
2017 vs Nicholls 12,000

Recent attendance numbers since we became consistently relevant. See those are not great numbers for the JSUs or the Montanas, but our fan base is fine. And the run we had in 2011, the crowd was awesome for those home games! LOUD. Plus we bring the bulk of the fans to the BOTPW game, although SHSU is much closer.

JSU, Montana, Montana St, 1/2 of the MVFC, most of the CAA. All have better attendance numbers than Sam. But I think the Kats, for what kind of stadium we have and where we play, dont do to bad. The alumni really gotta start showing up though. Get your butt to Bowers! I think that we should have a good crowd for the second round game against whoever we play.

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 06:35 PM
We win scoreboard battle:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Student_Section.png

You SHALL NOT ask why our best student section this year was versus Dusquesne or any other questions regarding SDSU attendance.

https://pa1.narvii.com/6349/a36e68802c59e49b984f6b7ae859829f3c7d1a85_hq.gif

SDSU and SHSU proving that attendance is directly correlated to how big your video board is. :D

Herder
November 15th, 2017, 06:50 PM

They would have been on the list but asked to be removed. They did want to compete directly.

Winterborn
November 15th, 2017, 06:51 PM

Thanks for playing.

The highlighted is what is holding your attendance down. Who lets it rain on ones fans? xconfusedx I can suggest a very nice solution to that issue, for a slight fee of course. :D

BisonFan02
November 15th, 2017, 06:53 PM
The highlighted is what is holding your attendance down. Who lets it rain on ones fans? xconfusedx I can suggest a very nice solution to that issue, for a slight fee of course. :D

Set up shop in an abandoned Wal-Mart Supercenter? :D

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 06:55 PM
Well our stadium was supposed to get a dome and an overdome to protect our dome as well as a unicorn breeding facility and a water slide.

Word on the street is Fed Ex lost it in shipping.

Winterborn
November 15th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Set up shop in an abandoned Wal-Mart Supercenter? :D

Well if you skip kicking the ball, it would work. Parking lot would be big enough to hold all the people going through.

Well our stadium was supposed to get a dome and an overdome to protect our dome as well as a unicorn breeding facility and a water slide.

Word on the street is Fed Ex lost it in shipping.

Shame, a unicorn breeding facility would really help bring in the people. Then you could trick them into going to a football game afterwards..... xrolleyesx

one_armed_man
November 15th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Central Arkansas is averaging ~10,000 per home game this season. About 8,766 last year.

cx500d
November 15th, 2017, 07:18 PM
They would have been on the list but asked to be removed. They did want to compete directly.
xbowx

cx500d
November 15th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Well if you skip kicking the ball, it would work. Parking lot would be big enough to hold all the people going through.

Shame, a unicorn breeding facility would really help bring in the people. Then you could trick them into going to a football game afterwards..... xrolleyesx

Nothing will pack in the Sammy fans more than watching unicorns breed...except maybe sheep.

Here's the president of sam houston:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26510&stc=1

Bisonoline
November 15th, 2017, 07:24 PM

A breeding facility in the South ? Dont think they would suffer from a lack of volunteers.

Winterborn
November 15th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Nothing will pack in the Sammy fans more than watching unicorns breed...except maybe sheep.

I almost questioned you on that being Sammy's president, but then I remembered that folks from Montana wear cowboy boots with the pants tucked in.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 07:49 PM
So who are the Top 5 HBCU fan bases? Grambling, Southern, FAMU, NCAT and Jackson State?

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 07:53 PM
So who are the Top 5 HBCU fan bases? Grambling, Southern, FAMU, NCAT and Jackson State?

How about Alcorn? SC St? This is a tough question. It’s definitely not Texas Southern.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 08:56 PM
How about Alcorn? SC St? This is a tough question. It’s definitely not Texas Southern.

Thats why I’m asking. I’ve never heard SC State mentioned. Alcorn a little. I have friends who graduates from HBCUs, follow some HBCU pages on social media, etc. I never have heard NCAT mentioned so I’m curious who the SWAC and MEAC fans would name as Top 5.

NDB
November 15th, 2017, 09:20 PM

I thought their new president was a Merino...

ASU33
November 15th, 2017, 09:43 PM

We talking home game crowds or traveling as well?

jsualumnus
November 15th, 2017, 10:01 PM
All this talk about JSU fan base and attendance #’s for other schools is laughable. Here’s why:
1. SHSU competes against way too many FBS teams in Texas to draw a crowd. Lucky to have the small # they have show up. I think most of you show up to see how cool Keeler looks in sunglasses on the sideline.
2. JSU was going to install a Bourbon Slide for AJCJSU under the double dome until FedEx Freight screwed up... Southerner is correct on that. JSU elite then decided that real football fans didn’t need domes or slides, just bourbon and college chicks. Some wives were against the latter.
3. Why in the hell would we ask Montana and Montana St fans about games at SHSU??? I just so happened to ask my brother-in-law, Montana St fan (I was born and raised in Montana as well) and he laughed his ass off then punched me after showing me a picture of a game he went to where only 10K fans showed up. Embarrassing!!!
4. I think Kats heard pin drops because even the JSU fans were stunned SHSU got their asses beat 62-10... It’s okay... different year - different teams.
5. HBCU crowds??? Needs a separate thread, but those are some serious tailgating football fans. Never been to a bad tailgate at any of them.

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 10:09 PM
All this talk about JSU fan base and attendance #’s for other schools is laughable. Here’s why:
1. SHSU competes against way too many FBS teams in Texas to draw a crowd. Lucky to have the small # they have show up. I think most of you show up to see how cool Keeler looks in sunglasses on the sideline.
2. JSU was going to install a Bourbon Slide for AJCJSU under the double dome until FedEx Freight screwed up... Southerner is correct on that. JSU elite then decided that real football fans didn’t need domes or slides, just bourbon and college chicks. Some wives were against the latter.
3. Why in the hell would we ask Montana and Montana St fans about games at SHSU??? I just so happened to ask my brother-in-law, Montana St fan (I was born and raised in Montana as well) and he laughed his ass off then punched me after showing me a picture of a game he went to where only 10K fans showed up. Embarrassing!!!
4. I think Kats heard pin drops because even the JSU fans were stunned SHSU got their asses beat 62-10... It’s okay... different year - different teams.
5. HBCU crowds??? Needs a separate thread, but those are some serious tailgating football fans. Never been to a bad tailgate at any of them.

Hm, maybe ask Montana fans? That was the best game in program history. Atmosphere was good. Sorry that you got punched, my bad. Yeah, Kellers glasses are nice, they distract when the defense is on the field.

Does nobody remember the 2014 JSU-SHSU playoff game? It wasn’t that memorable of a game unless you were an SHSU fan. Oh well, that was the game I was referring to. Bearkats won that one. 10,000 were in attendance. Sheesh, embarrassing!!

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Hm, maybe ask Montana fans? That was the best game in program history. Atmosphere was good. Sorry that you got punched, my bad. Yeah, Kellers glasses are nice, they distract when the defense is on the field.

Does nobody remember the 2014 JSU-SHSU playoff game? It wasn’t that memorable of a game unless you were an SHSU fan. Oh well, that was the game I was referring to. Bearkats won that one. 10,000 were in attendance. Sheesh, embarrassing!!

Yup. So embarrassing. The attendance for lowest attended game of the Grass era would rank 2nd on the list of most attended home games for SHSU under Keeler.

I'm sure you guys were grateful all the Montana fans were kind enough to come down and fill up your stadium for you.

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 10:54 PM
Yup. So embarrassing. The attendance for lowest attended game of the Grass era would rank 2nd on the list of most attended home games for SHSU under Keeler.

I'm sure you guys were grateful all the Montana fans were kind enough to come down and fill up your stadium for you.

Were you at the 2014 playoff game...the ONLY 2014 playoff game that JSU played. Yes, Montana fans filled the visitors section, unlike most visiting fans.

JSUSoutherner
November 15th, 2017, 11:02 PM
Were you at the 2014 playoff game...the ONLY 2014 playoff game that JSU played. Yes, Montana fans filled the visitors section, unlike most visiting fans.
I just think it's hilarious you don't see the hypocrisy in your argument.

We should hail SHSU's gameday experience because of ONE game 6 years ago where Montana outnumbered you in your own stadium but bash JSU's gameday because of ONE poorly attended game 3 years ago even when our garbage games be considered high quality for SHSU.

That Montana game you keep beating your dick to only outgained the 2014 SHSU-JSU game by 1500 people. The Montana State game before it would rank as the second lowest attended game at JSU since we expanded our stadium in 2010.

You wonder why everyone gives you guys crap. This is why.

katss07
November 15th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I just think it's hilarious you don't see the hypocrisy in your argument.

We should hail SHSU's gameday experience because of ONE game 6 years ago where Montana outnumbered you in your own stadium but bash JSU's gameday because of ONE poorly attended game 3 years ago even when our garbage games be considered high quality for SHSU.

That Montana game you keep beating your dick to only outgained the 2014 SHSU-JSU game by 1500 people. The Montana State game before it would rank as the second lowest attended game at JSU since we expanded our stadium in 2010.

You wonder why everyone gives you guys crap. This is why.

Sheesh, don’t be so serious. You guys draw better than us. I know that! We have that win over you guys and I’m messing with you JSU fans. Its a joke. This has gone to far. Sorry if I upset you. I’m sure you have a great gameday experience. Get it ready for the quarterfinals. We might be headed to JSU if we both survive the second round.

RootinFerDukes
November 16th, 2017, 06:11 AM
I mean, those are the five largest fan bases based on home attendance average. Many hbcu or Ivy’s will draw well for one game a year (or a neutral site game) but most of their games are 10kish and then drag the average to a more pedestrian 15k for example.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 07:42 AM
We talking home game crowds or traveling as well?
Based off Attendance:

1. Southern
2. FAMU
3. Tennessee State
4. Alcorn
5. NC A&T

Based off of atmosphere/partying:

1. NC A&T
2. Howard
3. Southern
4. FAMU
5. Jackson State

Biggest Games/Classics:

1. Bayou
2. Magic City (Ala A&M vs Ala State)
3 Florida Classic
4. State Fair Classic (Grambling vs. PV A&M)
5. BoomBox Classic (Jackson state vs Southern
6. Aggie/Eagle

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Based off Attendance:

1. Southern
2. FAMU
3. Tennessee State
4. Alcorn
5. NC A&T

1. NC A&T
2. Howard
3. Southern
4. FAMU
5. Jackson State

Biggest Games/Classics:

1. Bayou
3 Florida Classic
6. Aggie/Eagle

I'm not putting Howard on any list! Partying yes. Game atmosphere? No!

Also you forgot the Southern Heritage Classic

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 08:06 AM

Yes I did. I will edit.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 08:08 AM

Their Homecoming weekend party atmosphere is enough to get them onto the list.

Redbird 4th & short
November 16th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Oddly enough the bottom 5 schools might be the whiniest 5 FCS Fanbases. xlolxxpeacex

I'm hurt ISUr didn't make your top .. or well bottom 5 xsmiley_wix

Redbird 4th & short
November 16th, 2017, 08:44 AM
home attendance as metric is certainly one metric (easiest to meaure) .. but shouldn't it also weigh in how well a fan base travels .. granted much harder to measure and prove unless you've made it to Frisco.

Other aspect that ISUr continues to really struggle with .. putting aside 50 years of lethargy prior to progress made since 2010 ... we just have to many competing schools within 2 and 4 hour radius. That and fact that we are a "transplant town" given our sizable white collar job base .. meaning, we get a lot of families who move to BloNo to work, who 1) did not grow up in BloNo, and 2) went to some other bigger college. HQ Employers like Statefarm, Country Finance, and major Mitsubishi office .. and many other less prominent companies. Those people just don't care about ISU.

BUt our average attendance this year is up to 12.3k so far this year, compared to recent high water marks around 10k, and some years less than that. But this 12.3k this year is likekly coming down after NDSU game due to rain/wind forecast and students being out of school.

My point is .. we're trying .. but we have a lot of really good excuses !!!!!

:) xeyebrowx :(

GAD
November 16th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Based off Attendance:

1. Southern
2. FAMU
3. Tennessee State
4. Alcorn
5. NC A&T

1. NC A&T
2. Howard
3. Southern
4. FAMU
5. Jackson State

Biggest Games/Classics:

1. Bayou
3 Florida Classic
6. Aggie/Eagle

Couple of things:Attendance at Southern was down this year and last because many of our fans are still recovering from the flood of 2016, add to that our homecoming was played in the middle of a hurricane warning. The MEAC/SWAC challenge was played in 90+ degree heat in the middle of the day (1pm)
Jackson State the reported attendance and the pictures of the crowds never seem to match

ajc4jsu
November 16th, 2017, 09:52 AM
Look, I get JSU has a better fan base than SHSU. I never said they didn’t. Recently you guys have had nice attendance numbers, the video board update looks good and you are doing well on the field. I get it. But attendance isn’t everything is it? I think SHSU has a better fanbase than Austin Peay. Now I didn’t realize we were averaging that little, I’m sure the game against UIW where we had 5,000 brought us down a bit.

All I am stating is that my personal opinion is there are better fan bases than JSU. A few actually. I didn’t say Sam is one of them. SHSU might be a top 30 fanbase, but they are not on JSU’s level. Hell, SFA outdoes us in attendance some years. What I am saying is we have a pretty good fanbase and we can draw a crowd. Sure we have games where we draw 5,000 or 7,000 people. But look at the game against Nicholls this year. Bowers was sold out! Almost 12,000! Thats weak for JSU, but thats capacity for us. And when we host big time games such as playoff games or big OOC regular season games, we get good crowds.

2011 vs Montana St(playoff) 9,000
2011 vs Montana (playoff) 12,000
2012 vs McNeese 11,000
2013 vs EWU 10,000
2015 vs Lamar 11,000
2017 vs Nicholls 12,000

Recent attendance numbers since we became consistently relevant. See those are not great numbers for the JSUs or the Montanas, but our fan base is fine. And the run we had in 2011, the crowd was awesome for those home games! LOUD. Plus we bring the bulk of the fans to the BOTPW game, although SHSU is much closer.

JSU, Montana, Montana St, 1/2 of the MVFC, most of the CAA. All have better attendance numbers than Sam. But I think the Kats, for what kind of stadium we have and where we play, dont do to bad. The alumni really gotta start showing up though. Get your butt to Bowers! I think that we should have a good crowd for the second round game against whoever we play.

I did notice one trend that I do not like at all games I have attended this year. Students are the ones not showing up. It is the 30-60 year old alumni that is carrying the water. All schools will have the Blue hairs, that give the Money and demand silence. The younger generation astonishes me. Alabama recently reclaimed two entire sections from students to sell to regular buyers. Students are staying in frat houses or in parking lot instead of coming to games. This is very scary for FCS teams. Most are not in the largest city in the area and rely on those students. At JSU we are between Alabama, Auburn, and UAB. When I was in Huntsville, your proximity to Houston and College Station seems to be the same issue. Let's just hope this trend will reverse and all our number will go up.

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2017, 10:04 AM
I'm hurt ISUr didn't make your top .. or well bottom 5 xsmiley_wix
Normal is mediocre. Not the best, and not good enough at being bad. Better than Macomb. :)

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Normal is mediocre. Not the best, and not good enough at being bad. Better than Macomb. :)

So it's just....Normal?

AmsterBison
November 16th, 2017, 10:13 AM
home attendance as metric is certainly one metric (easiest to meaure) .. but shouldn't it also weigh in how well a fan base travels .. granted much harder to measure and prove unless you've made it to Frisco.

Other aspect that ISUr continues to really struggle with .. putting aside 50 years of lethargy prior to progress made since 2010 ... we just have to many competing schools within 2 and 4 hour radius. That and fact that we are a "transplant town" given our sizable white collar job base .. meaning, we get a lot of families who move to BloNo to work, who 1) did not grow up in BloNo, and 2) went to some other bigger college. HQ Employers like Statefarm, Country Finance, and major Mitsubishi office .. and many other less prominent companies. Those people just don't care about ISU.

BUt our average attendance this year is up to 12.3k so far this year, compared to recent high water marks around 10k, and some years less than that. But this 12.3k this year is likekly coming down after NDSU game due to rain/wind forecast and students being out of school.

My point is .. we're trying .. but we have a lot of really good excuses !!!!!

:) xeyebrowx :(

I think Top 5 Fan Bases Formula should be Mass * DistanceTravelled. "Mass" should include the weight of the tailgating setup. That way, NDSU would be a top 5 college football fanbase - not just top 5 FCS. :)

ajc4jsu
November 16th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Based off Attendance:

1. Southern
2. FAMU
3. Tennessee State
4. Alcorn
5. NC A&T

1. NC A&T
2. Howard
3. Southern
4. FAMU
5. Jackson State

Biggest Games/Classics:

1. Bayou
3 Florida Classic
6. Aggie/Eagle

I have worked and attended as a paying customer the Magic City Classic several times. It is hard to imagine one bigger than that. Have you been to both? I would love to see the Bayou if that is the case.

ajc4jsu
November 16th, 2017, 10:29 AM
I think Top 5 Fan Bases Formula should be Mass * DistanceTravelled. "Mass" should include the weight of the tailgating setup. That way, NDSU would be a top 5 college football fanbase - not just top 5 FCS. :)

and that could be said just for the number of RV's.

ajc4jsu
November 16th, 2017, 11:16 AM

I grew up in the heart of SEC country. NDSU has by far the best support in FCS, no doubt. However, at Auburn, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia that I have personally seen, there will be 10, 000 + outside that do not attend the games. There is an RV lot in Auburn that has been there for 30 years. It is sold out every year and very few of them actually go to the games. They have gatherings at the RV's only.

I only tell that to ask, is there much of this in Fargo? I know weather is a bigger factor there than in the South.

katss07
November 16th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I grew up in the heart of SEC country. NDSU has by far the best support in FCS, no doubt. However, at Auburn, Alabama, Florida, and Georgia that I have personally seen, there will be 10, 000 + outside that do not attend the games. There is an RV lot in Auburn that has been there for 30 years. It is sold out every year and very few of them actually go to the games. They have gatherings at the RV's only.

I only tell that to ask, is there much of this in Fargo? I know weather is a bigger factor there than in the South.

I don’t know, but the Fargo tailgate is beyond incredible. Really fun, good food. Reminds me of a small scale pro tailgate. Everyone was friendly, even though I was in all orange.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2017, 12:11 PM

I wish. About 30 minutes before kickoff the tailgate lot security, which is ample, will walk around telling people to start tearing down and get into the game. They will let you leave tents and such up since you can tailgate up to an hour after the game as well and they don't bother you if you come out before the end of the game and have a victory beer or three but, in general, tailgating during the game isn't allowed.

WestCoastAggie
November 16th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I wish. About 30 minutes before kickoff the tailgate lot security, which is ample, will walk around telling people to start tearing down and get into the game. They will let you leave tents and such up since you can tailgate up to an hour after the game as well and they don't bother you if you come out before the end of the game and have a victory beer or three but, in general, tailgating during the game isn't allowed.

That could never go at A&T or any HBCU. How do the bison take this rule?

ajc4jsu
November 16th, 2017, 12:26 PM

The YSU fans that came down last year were telling us they are similar. Except, they can set up three hours pregame, and have to be torn down 30 minutes after. That just seems odd to me. Until I moved last year I was in our RV lot. We could set them up on Thursday at noon and had to be gone by Sunday at 6. We do not have a lot that don't come into game, maybe in the hundreds only. It was fun because the YSU fans just came to our set up and stayed all day, pre game and post game.

ajc4jsu
November 16th, 2017, 12:28 PM
I don’t know, but the Fargo tailgate is beyond incredible. Really fun, good food. Reminds me of a small scale pro tailgate. Everyone was friendly, even though I was in all orange.

I have never had anything but great times at any school I have ever attended at an FCS game. ( Except SEMO). I think because at FCS games, the tailgaters are true FCS fans and we all go through the same struggles.

Professor Chaos
November 16th, 2017, 12:29 PM
That could never go at A&T or any HBCU. How do the bison take this rule?
Up until about 12 years you couldn't even have alcohol tailgating before NDSU games (which means tailgating basically didn't exist). Like many things in North Dakota change happens very slowly so we fight our battles elsewhere. Currently the battle is to expand tailgating into additional parking lots for early season games. Maybe down the road allowing tailgating during the game will be a battle worth fighting but, for now, it's not worth battling the "fun police" on it.

The YSU fans that came down last year were telling us they are similar. Except, they can set up three hours pregame, and have to be torn down 30 minutes after. That just seems odd to me. Until I moved last year I was in our RV lot. We could set them up on Thursday at noon and had to be gone by Sunday at 6. We do not have a lot that don't come into game, maybe in the hundreds only. It was fun because the YSU fans just came to our set up and stayed all day, pre game and post game.
Being able to at least park big rigs and trailers the night before a game is another change I'd like to see implemented at NDSU's tailgate but that's another battle not worth fighting yet. They do let you leave vehicles there until Sunday which is nice. I've heard of other schools that force you to get your vehicles out of the lot by the end of the day on game day. Nothing more responsible than forcing potential drunk drivers out onto the road....

ajc4jsu
November 16th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Up until about 12 years you couldn't even have alcohol tailgating before NDSU games (which means tailgating basically didn't exist). Like many things in North Dakota change happens very slowly so we fight our battles elsewhere. Currently the battle is to expand tailgating into additional parking lots for early season games. Maybe down the road allowing tailgating during the game will be a battle worth fighting but, for now, it's not worth battling the "fun police" on it.

Being able to at least park big rigs and trailers the night before a game is another change I'd like to see implemented at NDSU's tailgate but that's another battle not worth fighting yet. They do let you leave vehicles there until Sunday which is nice. I've heard of other schools that force you to get your vehicles out of the lot by the end of the day on game day. Nothing more responsible than forcing potential drunk drivers out onto the road....

I know that some of the administrations never saw this type crowd showing up at a smaller school. But some of the decisions that these schools make. If you are parking in a student lot, you have to be gone Sunday by noon. That makes since. However, I agree with what you say about making people leave after the game. Some will leave straight after, other will stay after for a bit, others will stay overnight. Not only does it increase game day atmosphere, but it helps traffic. You throw 20,000 extra bodies, and 12,000 extra cars into Jacksonville, it would be crippled if everyone left an hour after.

neverobeyed
November 16th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Here's another angle of fan loyalty. I would think the western fans, like Montana, MSU and NDSU, have fans that travel further to get to home games, due to cities being farther apart and being in less populated areas.

When UNI hosted Montana in the beginning of the '16 season, the Grizzlies had a very nice group of fans travel with them ... good number of fans, loud and all I met were great.

NDSU also travels well, at least for the games I have attended at UNI. Same thing ... many of them, loud and nice folks.

ASU33
November 16th, 2017, 01:49 PM
I saw NDSUs fan base in full effect in Frisco a few years back. They're the only FCS non HBCU I could see rival Southern, Jackson State, or FAMU from a traveling standpoint.

Sader87
November 16th, 2017, 03:45 PM
A lot of schools changed their "times for tailgating" (in the Northeast anyway) over the last 10, 20 years. Many schools will now force you into the game when it starts and not allow more than an hour or so to tailgate postgame. Liability issues essentially....lot of tailgates were getting out of hand (alcohol-wise) in the 1980s and 1990s.

At one time I would have said that Holy Cross had one of the bettah followings at the FCS-level, definitely on a size of enrollment/home attendance per capita basis e.g. enrollment of 2500 and probably avg. home crowd of around 15K in the 1980s. But both the intensity and size of the crowds have dwindled off in the last 25 years as the team's fortunes have trailed off.

Grizzlies82
November 16th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Based on what factors?

The NCAA website explains this list with the fan base of the University of Montana ranked #1.

Grizzly fans are considered the most attractive, most intelligent, and add the most value to the nation as a whole.

ElCid
November 16th, 2017, 05:23 PM
You need to include The Citadel in that. Although they only have 3K undergrads, they were at one time a consistent top ten team in attendance, even when ASU and GSU were I-AA/FCS. Their stadium gets smaller and smaller every year, and attendance is down, but they still routinely draw 3 times their enrollment to each game (mandatory cadet attendance does help that number somewhat). And most of their fans aren't Citdog.

I said it before...I am not sure there is anyone to match us in attendance as compared to alumni. We probably only have 22-24K living alum. We have pulled in mid teens in attendance only a few years ago. Not bad. With all the stadium issues lately, it has taken a little toll on that.
And although we have 3k or so undergrad, the Corps is only about 2300 or so. Not sure many of the night school or vet students would go. One thing I have observed is that our W/L record has not moved the needle much either way. We had some huge crowds when we were going 2-9 or 4-7. You would have thought that would have gone up the last couple years with all the success. Nope. Go figure.

SeattleGriz
November 16th, 2017, 06:02 PM
The schools are the flagship schools of the state. That behavior should be expected.

Driving over from Seattle should be expected? I got Seahawks and Huskies in my town and it's not even a close choice to drive to Montana Griz games 475 miles away.

grizband
November 16th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Driving over from Seattle should be expected? I got Seahawks and Huskies in my town and it's not even a close choice to drive to Montana Griz games 475 miles away.
I'll put our season ticket holder travel distances against anyone!

Big Dawg
November 21st, 2017, 11:40 AM
Based off Attendance:

1. NC A&T
2. Howard
3. Southern
4. FAMU
5. Jackson State

I know you thought FAMU fans wouldn't return to the AGS message boards...but you've gotta cut all this lying out...ain't no way A&T or Howard have a better stadium atmosphere than FAMU...and Southern is equal to us.

The fact that you even slid Howard into the discussion is laughable bro lol

Professor
November 22nd, 2017, 09:16 AM
I know you thought FAMU fans wouldn't return to the AGS message boards...but you've gotta cut all this lying out...ain't no way A&T or Howard have a better stadium atmosphere than FAMU...and Southern is equal to us.

The fact that you even slid Howard into the discussion is laughable bro lol

How would you know if you never been? You might want to look on Social Media and look up #GHOE. You gotta get out more.

Howard has a great homecoming. Great party scene, that's why he included it.

POD Knows
November 22nd, 2017, 09:43 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26583&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26584&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26585&stc=1

Here are some images of NDSU tailgating, most of the tailgating is done west of the dome.

DFW HOYA
November 22nd, 2017, 09:53 AM
How would you know if you never been? You might want to look on Social Media and look up #GHOE. You gotta get out more. Howard has a great homecoming. Great party scene, that's why he included it.

Howard drew 12,000 to its Homecoming game. The average of the other three games was 4,226.

Laker
November 22nd, 2017, 12:44 PM
How can NDSU be that low? Whoever made that list hasn't been to a game in Fargo. More importantly, whoever made that list hasn't been at a Bison road game.

IBleedYellow
November 22nd, 2017, 01:03 PM
How can NDSU be that low? Whoever made that list hasn't been to a game in Fargo. More importantly, whoever made that list hasn't been at a Bison road game.

Road games are honestly more fun - the amount of crazy travelers is always a good time.

PantherRob82
November 22nd, 2017, 01:22 PM
I would list:
-Montana
-NDSU

-everyone else.

I hope to make some classics or HBCU games, so I’m sure they would be included.

Sader87
November 22nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26583&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26584&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26585&stc=1

Here are some images of NDSU tailgating, most of the tailgating is done west of the dome.

Big sale at Wal-Mart???? xdrunkyx

cx500d
November 22nd, 2017, 10:15 PM
First Monday Trade Days

POD Knows
November 23rd, 2017, 06:55 AM
Big sale at Wal-Mart???? xdrunkyxTwo for one yellow shirt day, Wally World was packed

Laker
November 23rd, 2017, 07:12 AM

Gun show the day before hunting season.

Redbird007
November 23rd, 2017, 09:31 AM
That's a cute little video board. Let me know when you guys are done with it... I may buy it for my basement. :D
"Video board"? I thought that was someone's tablet. I guess I need to start wearing cheaters.

Big Dawg
November 24th, 2017, 05:25 AM
How would you know if you never been? You might want to look on Social Media and look up #GHOE. You gotta get out more.

Howard has a great homecoming. Great party scene, that's why he included it.

Because FAMU’s Homecoming is waaaaay better than GHOE...from tailgating to partying...it’s simple

Add that FAMU fans show up in droves and party every Saturday(not just on Homecoming)...with a losing record...I’d say we have ya beat...and have had ya beat since the beginning of time lol

Professor
November 24th, 2017, 08:53 AM
Because FAMU’s Homecoming is waaaaay better than GHOE...from tailgating to partying...it’s simple

Add that FAMU fans show up in droves and party every Saturday(not just on Homecoming)...with a losing record...I’d say we have ya beat...and have had ya beat since the beginning of time lol

Lol i hear ya. I been to FAMU homecoming 2x. It was nice but nothing to what we do in Greensboro. Hell Tally HO shuts down at 2am.

Your attendance is great however your fanbase is rabid and has unrealistic expectations, hence why u can't keep a coach

jsualumnus
November 24th, 2017, 09:02 AM
I’ve been to Tuskegee Homecoming with my neighbor, who went there, and I was blown away at the good times, food, and fellowship! For a small school, there were a lot of fans there tailgating and staying out of the game just to hang out more...