PDA

View Full Version : Socon Week 12 Power ranking and prediction

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2017, 07:39 PM
It's week 10 in the Socon. Here are your power rankings:

1. Furman: Destroyed the Citadel. Playing their best ball. I bet they're fun to watch too (I haven't watch them play a full game in a while).
2. Wofford (autobid, Socon champs, etc). Finally put a game together where we led by two scores in the second half. The difference between this year and years prior is that we have a good passing game.
3. Samford. I think they have the best defense in the conference, even if they have trouble stopping the run at times. this is a huge game next week and I'm excited for it.
4(tie). Western. It looks like they're out of the playoffs unless they pull an upset against UNC next week. It's not crazy.
4(tie). Mercer. Yes, I'm aware Mercer beat Western this week, but it's all about averages with me. Once again, the Bears will have to wait until next year.
6. The Citadel. Not a good offense and their defense is exposed.
7. Chattanooga. Steadily improving
8. ETSU. Got knocked back to the ground against Samford this week.
9. VMI. Season over. That's all that can be said.

Games:
Furman @ Samford. I'm not picking this game because I'm too biased. I'm pulling for Samford (because I don't want Wofford to share the conference title) but Furman is just on fire right now. Samford's offense isn't as consistent as Furman's but their defense is consistently the best in the conference in terms of getting teams off the field. there's good reason to think either team should win this game, but if I had would have to say Furman's the favorite just because their defense is more consistent that Samford's offense. Samford does play an offense most optimal to exploit Furman's defense.

The Citadel @ Clemson. Clemson shut down Georgia Tech. Look for a repeat here.

ETSU @ Chattanooga. Chattanooga has better strength in the trenches and a better pass defense than most of the teams that ETSU's pass game has had success against. Copeland is steadily improving and I think there's a solid case that Chattanooga is a better team than they were a month to six weeks ago.

Wofford @ USC. I don't think we'll win. I think if we can make it to 14 points and hold them below 40 and no injuries, I will be content with the effort.

Western @ UNC. I think Western will give them a run for their money (UNC is really banged up), but ultimately superior athletcism prevails

Mercer @ Bama.

VMI loses to the offseason.

wcugrad95
November 11th, 2017, 07:41 PM
You forgot to say WCU over UNC

kdinva
November 11th, 2017, 07:48 PM
t1) Wofford
t1) Furman (too close)
3) Samford
4) WCU
5) Mercer (me, too....looking at all 11 weeks)
t6) The Citadel
t6) UTC
8) ETSU
9) Davidson
10) Savannah St.
11) VMI

Furman 28; Samford 24
UTC 24; ETSU 14
Clemson 48; Citadel 7
UNC 27; WCU 21
S. Carolina 35; Wofford 21
Alabama 51; Mercer 6

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 11th, 2017, 08:05 PM
I was 2-2 today. Samford and Mercer gave ETSU and Western Carolina a massive gutpunch. Here is where I have it after today:

1) Wofford (AUTOBID) - Made it official against VMI
2) Furman (IN) - Crushed it at home
3) Samford (1 of 1) - Sets up a win or go home matchup next week
4) Western Carolina (IN) - Suffered a setback
5) Mercer (OUT) - Oh what could have been
6) The Citadel (OUT) - Finishes a rough season
7) Chattanooga (OUT) - Win over ranked team places them here
8) ETSU (OUT) - Got the wind knocked out of their sails
9) VMI (OUT) - Season mercifully comes to a close

Predictions
Mercer @ Alabama (Beatdown of the Week) - This will get ugly really fast
The Citadel @ Clemson (Beatdown of the Week #2) - Tigers uppercut the Bulldogs back to Charleston
ETSU @ Chattanooga - Bucs win in a barnburner
Western Carolina @ North Carolina - Tarheels lose a game nobody in the ACC is supposed to lose to
Furman @ Samford (Game of the Week) - Paladins take care of business on the road
Wofford @ South Carolina - Wofford may be good but this is not two years ago and this Gamecock team can beat The Citadel team from two years earlier

SCPALADIN
November 11th, 2017, 08:11 PM
t1) Wofford
t1) Furman (too close)
3) Samford
4) WCU
5) Mercer (me, too....looking at all 11 weeks)
t6) The Citadel
t6) UTC
8) ETSU
9) Davidson
10) Savannah St.
11) VMI

...ouch

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2017, 08:39 PM
I've been saying Furman's not necessarily in if they lose to Samford, but I'm not so sure about that to be honest. They are ranked pretty high. But so is everyone in the top 25 this time of year

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I've been saying Furman's not necessarily in if they lose to Samford, but I'm not so sure about that to be honest. They are ranked pretty high. But so is everyone in the top 25 this time of year

Hard to know. I expect Furman and Samford will both be ranked top 20. Even if Furman loses, I doubt they’ll drop too far.

Again, if you put bubble teams on the table and look at resumes, I think Furman will stack up well.

Reign of Terrier
November 11th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Also I think it's worth pointing out because the FCS regular season is completed for Wofford:

Brandon Goodson did not throw an interception this year. that's pretty admirable, even if we're an option team

bonarae
November 11th, 2017, 10:35 PM
Samford
Clemson
Chattanooga
WCU
Alabama
South Carolina

walliver
November 11th, 2017, 10:40 PM
Power Rankings:
1.0) Furman - beatdown of the bellhops
1.1) Wofford - autobid in hand. Beat a team by much more than one score.
3) Samford - convincing win
4) Mercer - they've played hard all year
5) WCU - Is Whitmire built on an Indian burial ground? The Cants always seem to find a way to keep themselves from being successful.
6) Chattanooga - they didn't play this week, and therefore didn't have a bad loss
7) The Citadel - bad showing this week, but all this team needs is a QB who can run the option well and pass well. (Unfortunately those are hard to find)
8) ETSU - better than the old mini-dump teams, but the SoCon is a better top-to-bottom conference than it was.
9) UNC-G
10) VMI - a very disappointing season, but their players always play all 60 minutes.

This week:
Wofford at South Carolina - the chickens are improved from their Citadel loss and pull out a 27-24 win over the T-Dogs
WCU at UNC-Cheat - The Cants need to win this, but the team is in a downward spiral and the AA studies major pull out a 35-20 win
Furman at Samford - Winner goes to playoffs, Loser sweats bullets next Sunday. Although this game would appear to have a Big 12 shootout type score, I think it will be more of a defensive battle, and the pitiful purple puke pull out a 24-21 victory.
ETSU at Chatty - The trainbirds are on the way up, the mountain pirates are improving, but Chatty pulls out a 17-14 victory
Mercer at Alabama -The Best Team Money Can Buy rolls over the Georgia Baptists on their way to a Tigger rematch 35-10.
The Citadel at Clemson - The Tiggers shut down Georgia Tech. The bullpups can't hold on to the ball. This game gets out of hand early. Tigs win 53-10 ('cause Dabo likes running up the score).

FUGameBreaker
November 11th, 2017, 11:39 PM
Making the trip down to SAM, expecting a great game with both sides throwing their best punch, should be fun

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Making the trip down to SAM, expecting a great game with both sides throwing their best punch, should be fun

No offense to Wofford, but I think this is the matchup of the year in the SoCon.

I’m expecting a good game.

kdinva
November 12th, 2017, 09:31 AM

any chance of an SRO crowd of 11,000 or so?

longtimemocfan
November 12th, 2017, 10:42 AM

I think with the magnitude of this game it’s possible. Really depends on how many Furman fans decide to make the trip. Furman used to travel really well at one time.

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2017, 10:57 AM
This week we get to see if Furman is Bama or UGA...

If they win, they're Bama, if they lose they're UGA

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2017, 12:46 PM
I think with the magnitude of this game it’s possible. Really depends on how many Furman fans decide to make the trip. Furman used to travel really well at one time.

There are a lot of Furman alums in Birmingham.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2017, 12:49 PM
This week we get to see if Furman is Bama or UGA...

If they win, they're Bama, if they lose they're UGA

I’m not sure how that makes sense.

Furman didn’t enter the season with lofty expectations. Most fans thought a .500 record with encouraging signs for a young team would be a good first year.

I, along with many other Furman fans, have sort of been waiting for the let down. We’ve been waiting for the game where you really see the team’s youth, or they don’t show up ready to play, or they get overwhlemed in a game. That hasn’t happened, and I’m not sure it’s going to.

SU DOG
November 12th, 2017, 03:42 PM

NOPE. I hate to be negative about my own, but there won't be anywhere near 11,000. I wish that was different.

FUGameBreaker
November 12th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I’m not sure how that makes sense.

Furman didn’t enter the season with lofty expectations. Most fans thought a .500 record with encouraging signs for a young team would be a good first year.

I, along with many other Furman fans, have sort of been waiting for the let down. We’ve been waiting for the game where you really see the team’s youth, or they don’t show up ready to play, or they get overwhlemed in a game. That hasn’t happened, and I’m not sure it’s going to.

I 'think' he's making a joke relating to the other thread

- - - Updated - - -

NOPE. I hate to be negative about my own, but there won't be anywhere near 11,000. I wish that was different.

School will be out, correct?

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2017, 06:04 PM
I 'think' he's making a joke relating to the other thread

- - - Updated - - -

It's slightly a joke but in principle something I want to see.

Furman, like Georgia this year, has piledriven some teams that haven't had their **** together, but not so much with the teams who have (to be clear, I count Western without Adams as not having their **** together).

As a Wofford fan I'm praying they pull an UGA this week, but the more reasoned part of me says that's not likely and they are for real for real (see other thread, I'm picking Furman 41-31)

The Cats
November 12th, 2017, 06:55 PM

Samford's attendance this year:
4,908 - Samford (KSU)
4,509 - Samford (West Al)
9,233 - Samford (The Citadel)
3,523 - Samford (Chattanooga)
5,178 - Samford (ETSU)

with only 5k in this past Saturday for ETSU, I'd say they top out between 7-8k......

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2017, 07:09 PM
What was so special about the Citadel game?

FUGameBreaker
November 12th, 2017, 07:14 PM
What was so special about the Citadel game?

Just guessing, but that was their parents weekend so probably good turnout for that, plus CIT was 3-0 #11 ranked at that time

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2017, 07:17 PM
I imagine Citadel fans travel well too. I think this one will have good turnout. It's pretty much a play-in game for the playoffs.

walliver
November 13th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Samford's attendance has always been problematic. Their average attendance is right around the school's total enrollment, whereas at most schools, attendance is usually several times the enrollment. Apparently a significant part of Samford total enrollment of 5500 consists of graduate students (who are generally less likely to attend games) and actual undergrad enrollment is 3500 or so, which is still larger than undergrad enrollment at Furman and the Citadel, and twice that of Wofford and VMI.

I don't know if it is a tradition thing, or if Samford's alumni are just more likely to live farther away from campus than the other school's alumni.

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Samford's attendance this year:
4,908 - Samford (KSU)
5,178 - Samford (ETSU)

with only 5k in this past Saturday for ETSU, I'd say they top out between 7-8k......

Just a wager, but with 5k in attendance for a homecoming game against ETSU, I don't think they'll top that against Furman. A lot of the "homecoming" types would have come to last weeks game, but are unlikely to make two in a row.

There are a lot of Furman alums in the Birmingham area, and a huge number in Atlanta. It wouldn't shock me to see a big Furman presence Saturday.

LarryBoy
November 13th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Samford's attendance has always been problematic. Their average attendance is right around the school's total enrollment, whereas at most schools, attendance is usually several times the enrollment. Apparently a significant part of Samford total enrollment of 5500 consists of graduate students (who are generally less likely to attend games) and actual undergrad enrollment is 3500 or so, which is still larger than undergrad enrollment at Furman and the Citadel, and twice that of Wofford and VMI.

I don't know if it is a tradition thing, or if Samford's alumni are just more likely to live farther away from campus than the other school's alumni.

I think it’s similar to the problem that Furman and Wofford have, but compounded. Furman and Wofford are overshadowed by Clemson and USC, and really struggle to compete for attention. Samford has to deal with Alabama and Auburn - much, much worse.

Furman and Wofford, however, have stronger and longer football traditions, and that helps (though, not a ton, if you’re not winning). Samford, while they’ve turned into a really good program as of late, don’t have that benefit. And they also lack the resources of larger upstart programs.

I’d be interested to see how Mercer’s attendance has been this year. They built and capitalized on the excitement of the program so well those first couple of years. But the games I’ve seen on TV, it looks like their fan base has maybe come back down to earth a little bit.

SU DOG
November 13th, 2017, 08:57 AM
LarryBoy you are RIGHT ON correct!

PaladinFan
November 13th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I think it’s similar to the problem that Furman and Wofford have, but compounded. Furman and Wofford are overshadowed by Clemson and USC, and really struggle to compete for attention. Samford has to deal with Alabama and Auburn - much, much worse.

Furman and Wofford, however, have stronger and longer football traditions, and that helps (though, not a ton, if you’re not winning). Samford, while they’ve turned into a really good program as of late, don’t have that benefit. And they also lack the resources of larger upstart programs.

I’d be interested to see how Mercer’s attendance has been this year. They built and capitalized on the excitement of the program so well those first couple of years. But the games I’ve seen on TV, it looks like their fan base has maybe come back down to earth a little bit.

Mercer's attendance is hard to pinpoint. They sell a lot of season tickets. They also have a stadium where you can just sort of walk around, sit on the hill, etc., so its hard to know how many folks are actually sitting in the stadium.

FUBeAR
November 13th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Mercer's attendance is hard to pinpoint. They sell a lot of season tickets. They also have a stadium where you can just sort of walk around, sit on the hill, etc., so its hard to know how many folks are actually sitting in the stadium.

Yep - I think I would SWAG that, as a rule, for Mercer homes games, there are always 1/3 less people actually in attendance than announced (tickets sold vs. turnstile numbers) AND there are 1/3 more people there than it seems are there on TV due to the seating configurations mentioned, and the camera locations/focal points. The cameras are on the side where the band, the students, the opposing Team fans, etc. sit. That side is usually 85-90%+ full, but the cameras are pointing at the other side.

So...for the Samford game, 10,200 were reported in attendance. I would use the SWAG rule and say there were 6,800-ish there, but it probably looked like 4,500-ish on TV.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Yeah, and if you look at Mercer's stadium, it only sits about 10,000 and a lot of these high attended games don't seem to be too full

BearDownMU
November 13th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Yeah, and if you look at Mercer's stadium, it only sits about 10,000 and a lot of these high attended games don't seem to be too full

Capacity is closer to 12,500. 10,000-ish is actual numbered seats. Standing room/general admission/berm seating is applicable for the extra 2,500 seats.

Unless my info is bad, our season ticket sold number is north of 6,000. The challenge is that, obviously, they've made sure those season tickets are extremely affordable. So affordable in fact, that many people buy more than they need just to have them. For example, I have 4, but it's just me and my wife. I get the extras so I can invite friends, out of town alums that only come to games sporadically, etc. Or to make sure FUBeAR has a place to sit. ;)

Now, I always make sure I fill my two extra seats OR I give them back to the University to donate to a local group. Unfortunately, I don't think that always happens. So you end up with some season ticket holder that has 6 seats, only uses 2, and doesn't do anything to account for the other 4.

It's a good problem to have, I suppose, but I do wish people would be more sensitive to having unused season tickets.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and the other thing is people buy season tickets for their teenage kids and they end up running around the stadium, running up and down the hills, playing, etc., and never sit in their actual seat, even tho they are in the building

SU FAN
November 14th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Ill say I did enjoy my trip to Mercer's stadium xnodx

SU FAN
November 14th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Wonder which SoCon team will keep their FBS game the closest this weekend?

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2017, 11:16 AM

little bit of a bummer the SoCon's final weekend has one marquee conference game and a number of FBS games against P5 schools

Reign of Terrier
November 14th, 2017, 11:23 AM

In terms of having the capability of scoring a lot of points and making it a track meet: Western Carolina (wouldn't be surprised if they upset UNC, just because UNC is a young and injured team and young, injured teams are hard to predict

In terms of keeping it close and possibly winnable: Wofford...but only because our style of play limits possessions and South Carolina isn't a stupendous football team this year. I still think they beat us by 20, but I think it could be in the 20-10 range in the fourth

The Cats
November 14th, 2017, 12:41 PM

We had a SoCon attendance thread this past season on the Catamount Sports Forum, so here's Mercers attendance:

9,727 - Mercer (Jacksonville)
12,727 - Mercer (Wofford)
10,207 - Mercer (VMI)
9,864 - Mercer (Chattanooga)
10,200 - Mercer (Samford)

-----------------------------

here's everyone's attendance as reported by each university.....

Updated (11-11-17)

10,141 - Chattanooga (UT Martin)
10,101 - Chattanooga (Western Carolina)
9,651 - Chattanooga (Furman - Homecoming)
9,651 - Chattanooga (Furman)
7,521 - Chattanooga (The Citadel)

7,467 - Citadel (Newberry)
9,969 - Citadel (Mercer)
8.543 - Citadel (Wofford)
11,609 - Citadel (VMI)
7,384 - Citadel (Western Carolina)

7,544 - ETSU (the Citadel)
8,022 - ETSU (Mercer)
8,540 - ETSU (Robert Morris - Homecoming)
7,087 - ETSU (Wofford)
7,327 - ETSU (VMI)

6,342 - Furman (Elon)
7,104 - Furman (ETSU)
7.216 - Furman (VMI)
8,108 - Furman (Mercer) - Homecoming
10, 105 - Furman (Citadel)

9,727 - Mercer (Jacksonville)
12,727 - Mercer (Wofford)
10,207 - Mercer (VMI)
9,864 - Mercer (Chattanooga)
10,200 - Mercer (Samford)

4,908 - Samford (KSU)
5,178 - Samford (ETSU)

4,654 - VMI (Catawba)
5,311 - VMI (Chattanooga)
3,310 - VMI (Samford)
4,119 - VMI (WCU) - Homecoming
4,229 - VMI (Wofford)

11,763 - Western Carolina (Davidson)
12,018 - Western Carolina (Samford)
8,300 - Western Carolina (ETSU)
9,973 - Western Carolina (Furman) - Homecoming
10, 681 - Western Carolina (Mercer)

7,237 - Wofford (Furman)
7,211 - Wofford (Gardner-Webb)
6,982 - Wofford (Western Carolina)
7,236 - Wofford (Samford ) - Homecoming
5,012 - Wofford (Chattanooga)

SCPALADIN
November 14th, 2017, 12:57 PM
We had a SoCon attendance thread this past season on the Catamount Sports Forum, so here's Mercers attendance:

6,342 - Furman (Elon)
7,104 - Furman (ETSU)
7.216 - Furman (VMI)
8,108 - Furman (Mercer) - Homecoming
10, 105 - Furman (Citadel)

I like that trend line.

FUGameBreaker
November 14th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I like that trend line.

Oh yeah!

Next year should be improved as well:
Colgate should net more than Elon due to more furman fan enthusiasm in early part of next year compared to this year
You can do parents weekend and homecoming against Samford and UTC
Also I would expect Wofford and WCU games to be well attended in general next year

BearDownMU
November 14th, 2017, 01:13 PM
But, evvvvvvery once in a while, you get this... LOL!

https://twitter.com/DaboSelfie/status/930500961000443904

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2017, 01:20 PM
But, evvvvvvery once in a while, you get this... LOL!

https://twitter.com/DaboSelfie/status/930500961000443904

That's great.

PaladinFan
November 14th, 2017, 01:52 PM
I've been rolling around possible playoff scenarios.

I know it's not commonly agreed upon, but Brian McLaughlin of HERO Sports has both Furman and Samford in the field. https://herosports.com/fcs/football-fcs-bracket-seeds-1st-round-games-november-11-2017-ajaj

Best bet for Furman is to win Saturday and forget about it. Strangely, it's not beyond comprehension that an impressive showing by either Samford or Furman could slide them in as a seed.

A lot left in the air.

gofurman
November 15th, 2017, 02:42 AM
My fear is this past weekend in FBS. Uga at Auburn. ND at Miami. FSU at Clemson. Notice a pattern ? Home teams win and it's a huge advantage. Sometimes I think worth tons points. Scary. Only Bama survived on road. Barely.

walliver
November 15th, 2017, 08:29 AM
My fear is this past weekend in FBS. Uga at Auburn. ND at Miami. FSU at Clemson. Notice a pattern ? Home teams win and it's a huge advantage. Sometimes I think worth tons points. Scary. Only Bama survived on road. Barely.

Each of those games was played in front of sell-out crowds of 60-80 thousand screaming fans in enclosed stadia, almost all of which were rooting for the home team. No-one in the current SoCon has that kind of environment. Home field advantage is often only worth a few points at most.

SCPALADIN
November 15th, 2017, 09:17 AM
Each of those games was played in front of sell-out crowds of 60-80 thousand screaming fans in enclosed stadia, almost all of which were rooting for the home team. No-one in the current SoCon has that kind of environment. Home field advantage is often only worth a few points at most.

If the weather plays out the way the gurus are predicting, Birmingham will be much like Cullowhee was a few weeks back. I'd imagine the crowd at the Furman-Samford game would be in the high 4000s... 1/4 of those being on the away side.

PaladinFan
November 15th, 2017, 09:31 AM
If the weather plays out the way the gurus are predicting, Birmingham will be much like Cullowhee was a few weeks back. I'd imagine the crowd at the Furman-Samford game would be in the high 4000s... 1/4 of those being on the away side.

Generally, the away crowd is the more intense portion of the fan base - players parents, loyalists, etc.

I'm sort of expecting a pretty solid Furman contingent on Saturday.

SU DOG
November 15th, 2017, 09:46 AM
Most forecasts now are saying the rain moves in a little later on - at around 6 PM. The current outlook calls for warm(around 70) and cloudy, but dry weather at game time. I'll check in another 10 minutes, however, seeing how this has changed so much this week. As for the attendance, I am not optimistic that we will have much of a home field advantage, as classes will be over and our students will be homeward bound, but I hope I'll be surprised. I too expect to see lots of purple across the field. Not only does Furman have a large alumni base in Birmingham, but they recruit well here, and have several B'ham area and other state of Alabama players on the roster.

Reign of Terrier
November 15th, 2017, 10:07 AM
We'll probably have a better impression of what the weather will look like in a couple days. This early, the forecasts often call for rain a couple hours early/late than what actually happens

Purpleglasses
November 15th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Forecasts are getting pretty good, but there is a 2-3 hour window that could change the timing...we will see.
a few weeks ago, even a week out, the forecast Nailed the weather we had in Cullowhee...I am still drying out from that game.

NorthChuckSouth
November 15th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Citadel @ Clemson - xcoffeex
ETSU @ Chattanooga - 23-17
Wofford @ USC - I think that this could be a close game but I don't think Wofford's D is good enough to pull out a W
Western @ UNC - 42-10
Furman @ Samford - 35-14
Mercer @ Bama ​- 56-3

SCPALADIN
November 15th, 2017, 01:03 PM
1) Wofford
2) Furman
3) Samford
4) Western Carolina
5) Mercer
6) The Citadel
7) ETSU
8) Chattanooga
9) VMI

Citadel @ Clemson - 20-55xsmiley_wix
ETSU @ Chattanooga - 27-17
Wofford @ South Carolina - 17-24
Western @ UNC - 24-27
Furman @ Samford- 42-31
Mercer @ Alabama ​- 17-44

SU DOG
November 15th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Most forecasts now are saying the rain moves in a little later on - at around 6 PM. The current outlook calls for warm(around 70) and cloudy, but dry weather at game time. I'll check in another 10 minutes, however, seeing how this has changed so much this week. As for the attendance, I am not optimistic that we will have much of a home field advantage, as classes will be over and our students will be homeward bound, but I hope I'll be surprised. I too expect to see lots of purple across the field. Not only does Furman have a large alumni base in Birmingham, but they recruit well here, and have several B'ham area and other state of Alabama players on the roster.

Not a big deal, but for the sake of accuracy, and what I have heard since my post, I think that only some classes will be finished, and maybe most students will still be here.

ElCid
November 15th, 2017, 01:05 PM
1) Wofford
2) Furman
3) Samford
4) Western Carolina
5) Mercer
6) The Citadel
7) ETSU
8) Chattanooga
9) VMI

Citadel @ Clemson - 20-55xsmiley_wix
ETSU @ Chattanooga - 27-17
Wofford @ South Carolina - 17-24
Western @ UNC - 24-27
Furman @ Samford- 42-31
Mercer @ Alabama ​- 17-44

Saw what you did there.

SU DOG
November 15th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Clemson
UTC
South Carolina
UNC
SAMFORD - Strictly analytical with no bias. xlolx
Bama

SCPALADIN
November 15th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Saw what you did there.

It's been a long three years...xbeerchugx

gofurman
November 15th, 2017, 06:44 PM
I've been rolling around possible playoff scenarios.

I know it's not commonly agreed upon, but Brian McLaughlin of HERO Sports has both Furman and Samford in the field. https://herosports.com/fcs/football-fcs-bracket-seeds-1st-round-games-november-11-2017-ajaj

Best bet for Furman is to win Saturday and forget about it. Strangely, it's not beyond comprehension that an impressive showing by either Samford or Furman could slide them in as a seed.

A lot left in the air.

I can only hope but this guy has shown error in he has Elon b Furman. The committee frowns on repeat games OOC unless necessary. IF Furman makes it... then KSU is the more likely opp

BearDownMU
November 15th, 2017, 08:29 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26511&stc=1

From Sports Illustrated today.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/15/fcs-fbs-upsets-underdogs-famu-liberty-mercer?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

FUBeAR
November 15th, 2017, 09:22 PM
Homewood, AL Forecast
9:04 pm CST

Sat, Nov 18
PM Showers
69°/41°
100%

Humidity: 77%
Wind: SSW 13 mph
UV Index: 2 of 10
Sunrise: 6:21 am
Sunset: 4:42 pm
Cloudy with occasional showers for the afternoon.
High 69F.
Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph.
Chance of rain 100%.

Temp below 75? Check
Winds 10 mph or greater? Check
Rain? Check

Since Coach Chris Hatcher brought his brand of Football to Homewood, the Bulldogs have a very respectable winning record of 20-13, almost 61%

In weather conditions other than these, they are 20-7, almost 75% wins.

In weather conditions similar to those forecast for this Saturday, the Bulldogs are 0-6. 0% wins.

Place your wagers accordingly.

longtimemocfan
November 16th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Clemson-49 The Citadel-7
Chattanooga-31 ETSU-10
Alabama-45 Mercer-3
South Carolina-27 Wofford-20
UNC-42 WCU-24
Samford-31 Furman-28

ElCid
November 16th, 2017, 08:36 PM
1) Furman - they are hot hot hot
2) Wofford - just hoping to stay healthy
3) Samford - solid
4) Western Carolina - solid
5) Mercer - hot and cold
6) Chattanooga - turned it around
7) The Citadel - pretty much gave up
8) ETSU - striving nicely
9) VMI - needs to step it up

Mercer at Alabama ​- 49-7 - Alabama needs style and computer points and will pour it on
The Citadel at Clemson - 56-7 - Clemson needs style and computer points and will pour it on
ETSU at Chattanooga - 31-17 - UTC finishes strong after a disappointing season
WCU at UNC - 54-24 - They could guarantee a playoff spot with a win, but it's just not there
Wofford at South Carolina - 34-13 - USC has turned things around; might get caught looking ahead to Clemson, but probably not
Furman at Samford- 38-28 - Furman will just be too strong

youcanbankit
November 16th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Samford beats Furman
Clemson beats The Citadel
Chattanooga beats ETSU
North Carolina beats WCU
Alabama beats Mercer
South Carolina beats Wofford

Praying for no injuries....

FUBeAR
November 17th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Power Ranking
1) Furman
2) Wofford
3) Mercer (but only when NOT running the O they ran against Samford
4) WCU
5) Samford
6) Chatt
7) ETSU
8) VMI

9) UNCG Baseball
10) Richmond Lacrosse
11) Air Force Lacrosse
11) Bellarmine Lacrosse
12) Jacksonville Lacrosse
13) High Point Lacrosse
14) North Georgia Rifle
15) GaSou Rifle
16) UAB Rifle
17) AppyWrestling
18) Campbell Wresling
19) Southern Illinois University- Edwardsville Wrestling
20) Gardner-Webb Wrestling
21) Davidson Wrestling
22) Central Michigan Women’s Lacrosse
23) Delaware State Women’s Lacrosse
24) Detroit Mercy Women’s Lacrosse

25) Mercer (when running the O they ran against Samford)

Picks
Mercer 31 - Alabama 13
Furman 42 - Samford 14
Rest of Picks...whatever...

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2017, 07:25 PM
VMI is way way too high

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Power Ranking
1) Furman
2) Wofford
3) Mercer (but only when NOT running the O they ran against Samford
4) WCU
5) Samford
6) Chatt
7) ETSU
8) VMI

9) UNCG Baseball
10) Richmond Lacrosse
11) Air Force Lacrosse
11) Bellarmine Lacrosse
12) Jacksonville Lacrosse
13) High Point Lacrosse
14) North Georgia Rifle
15) GaSou Rifle
16) UAB Rifle
17) AppyWrestling
18) Campbell Wresling
19) Southern Illinois University- Edwardsville Wrestling
20) Gardner-Webb Wrestling
21) Davidson Wrestling
22) Central Michigan Women’s Lacrosse
23) Delaware State Women’s Lacrosse
24) Detroit Mercy Women’s Lacrosse

25) Mercer (when running the O they ran against Samford)

Picks
Mercer 31 - Alabama 13
Furman 42 - Samford 14
Rest of Picks...whatever...

So we did not even rate being rated? I mean we can at least carry luggage better than most. That has got to count for something.

walliver
November 18th, 2017, 11:01 AM
So we did not even rate being rated? I mean we can at least carry luggage better than most. That has got to count for something.

You should rate well above Chattanooga baseball!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

longtimemocfan
November 18th, 2017, 11:05 AM
Mercer D looks pretty good. Just can’t let Hurts stand in the pocket all day.

FUBeAR
November 18th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Oh, I’m sorry. I thought CIT dropped their Football Program after last week.

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Underway in Clemson and the Dogs get a first down in 2 plays. Better than we did against Furman. LOL.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 11:58 AM
21-0 Clemson in the first quarter. I may have been wrong about Clemson not matching Furman this week.

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 12:00 PM
21-0 Clemson in the first quarter. I may have been wrong about Clemson not matching Furman this week.

Our secondary is bad. Clemson is good, but our boys are just bad. Samford and Furman showed that. No doubt Dabo is trying to max his computer points. After that, he will let up.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I hate to pile on, but when *Wofford* piles on 200 yards through the air on you...we kind of showed it too.

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 12:10 PM
I hate to pile on, but when *Wofford* piles on 200 yards through the air on you...we kind of showed it too.

Yeah, I don't know though. Whenever a TO team gets 200+ passing, I chalk that up, at least a little bit, to the unexpected factor. But our guys are bad. Wish we had our 5th year AA back. Instead he isn't even playing in Miami due to injury.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 01:31 PM
My prediction about Clemson probably not matching Furman's scoring output was dead wrong.

58-0 Tigers in the 3rd, extra point coming up

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Hey Dogs get huge pass and FG! YEAH TEAM! Then onside kick and get it. Too funny.

ETSUfan1
November 18th, 2017, 02:17 PM
ETSU up 3-0 on UTC at half. Awful football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 02:18 PM
All over in Clemson...61-3. At least we didn't get shutout.....not a horrible outing yardswise....216. 155 on the ground. One pass for 61 yards. Clemson is just ridiculously good.

Is it next year yet?

Now to watch the other Bulldogs and Horses.

longtimemocfan
November 18th, 2017, 02:30 PM
ETSU 19 yards offense. Bad game.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Sounds about right because Chatt actually has a decent defense.

that offense, however...

longtimemocfan
November 18th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Starting to figure it out. Just can’t put in a 175 pound back on 1st in goal. Unreal.

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Western looking good against UNC. A win here and Western would be in. 7-7 after one.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 02:58 PM
touchdown tar heels

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 03:23 PM
UNC getting all sorts of help from the zebras over WCU.

Wofford hanging tough with USC, 3-0.almost one done.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 03:25 PM
If we can keep this one close I'll be happy. And by close I mean like 2 TDs or less

ElCid
November 18th, 2017, 03:52 PM
If we can keep this one close I'll be happy. And by close I mean like 2 TDs or less

I really did not think you would but after watching it for a bit, maybe. USC is flat and as usual, Ayers is spot on coaching. So maybe. If not for the INT it would be Wofford ahead still, probably.

I got three game I am trying to watch. Probably going to stop watching the WCU one. UNC pulling away.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Touchdown Furman with 30 seconds left in the half.

Game tied.

ETSUfan1
November 18th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Hate to see football season end, but after that performance....it’s time. Ugly football. Etsu got worse the last few games. Congrats UTC.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 04:16 PM
I disagree. ETSU easily improved in the last month of the year, even if it didn't manifest in W's.

They are a team on the rise.

longtimemocfan
November 18th, 2017, 04:17 PM
This game is mercifully over. Mocs win 10-3. Defensively we were great. Holding ETSU to 126 total yards. Bucs QB was 13-37.

longtimemocfan
November 18th, 2017, 04:19 PM
Hate to see football season end, but after that performance....it’s time. Ugly football. Etsu got worse the last few games. Congrats UTC.

At least your guys are playing hard. Got the makings of a good rivalry.

FUBeAR
November 18th, 2017, 06:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfqJJLBHmhA&feature=share

yep...

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2017, 06:46 PM
I just don't want to see PJ Blazejowski ever in a Furman uniform on the same field as Wofford ever again.

chattownmocs
November 19th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Well the UTC defense finally started playing well the last 3 games. I guess that's something.

sudog03
November 19th, 2017, 07:34 AM
5) Samford

LOL

Mocs123
November 19th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Yes, I felt like the D has been lights out the past 3 games. The offense continues to struggle so I hope we get that fixed.

We need to figure out what to do about our o line which never has gelled this year.

I have high hopes for Chris Broadwater a 210 RB who redshirted as we really missed that Keon Williams or Derek Craine style battering ram this year.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 19th, 2017, 09:26 AM
As far as playoff bids are concerned, I will be surprised if Wofford, Samford, Furman and Western Carolina all make the field. Most likely joining Wofford will be Samford.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 09:32 AM
As far as playoff bids are concerned, I will be surprised if Wofford, Samford, Furman and Western Carolina all make the field. Most likely joining Wofford will be Samford.

WCU is a no. The only people that don’t seem to think Furman is in are posters on this forum that are fans of other conferences.

ElCid
November 19th, 2017, 09:50 AM
WCU is a no. The only people that don’t seem to think Furman is in are posters on this forum that are fans of other conferences.

Yeah right. I know. It's like they think that their opinion will somehow make it so. Too funny to watch. I think they believe that committee members will actually be swayed by what they say.😄

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2017, 09:53 AM
the legacy of a 2002 Woofing is what's keeping me from saying Furman's a lock.

PaladinFan
November 19th, 2017, 09:55 AM
the legacy of a 2002 Woofing is what's keeping me from saying Furman's a lock.

Woffy was a relatively unknown in 2002 and the playoffs were much smaller.

Reign of Terrier
November 19th, 2017, 09:57 AM
There's also Chattanooga in 2013 getting hosed out in the first year of the 24 team field. They had 8 wins (though 7 D1 wins?), were tied for first in the socon.

It's not unprecedented.