PDA

View Full Version : Quistion regarding a Samford Player

smallcollegefbfan
November 9th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Have any Samford fans heard the deal on this kid? He supposedly is just barely staying eligible and neglecting his studies. He thinks he is getting drafted like the other Samford DBs before him but his senior film is not nearly as good as his junior film. He is missing tackles and picks. He has good stats but still not overly impressive. I watched a couple games this week and he looks like a camp body. I doubt he graduates in May like he needs to. He has talent but has underachieved on film. I would be surprised now if he gets a combine invite. I had him as a possible late round pick on my board from last year but now I have him as a free agent.

Have any Samford insiders on here heard any of this? I talked to 5 teams and none of them have him anywhere near the draftable range.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Have any Samford fans heard the deal on this kid? He supposedly is just barely staying eligible and neglecting his studies. He thinks he is getting drafted like the other Samford DBs before him but his senior film is not nearly as good as his junior film. He is missing tackles and picks. He has good stats but still not overly impressive. I watched a couple games this week and he looks like a camp body. I doubt he graduates in May like he needs to. He has talent but has underachieved on film. I would be surprised now if he gets a combine invite. I had him as a possible late round pick on my board from last year but now I have him as a free agent.

Have any Samford insiders on here heard any of this? I talked to 5 teams and none of them have him anywhere near the draftable range.

I am certainly not a Samford fan. I am; however, a fan of FCS Student Athletes & I find this sort of public rumormongering about any FCS Student Athlete highly objectionable.

After their eligibility is complete or they have declared themselves effectively ineligible, then I think you & other draftniks, pundits, pro’s, or semi-pro’s, or whatever are mostly inbounds to speculate around, opine, & publish this sort of material. But certainly not about a Student Athlete whose Team is in a Playoff run, is about to be honored at his Sr Day next week, and, if I’m not mistaken, was injured in the Chattanooga game.

I’m fairly confident no true Samford Fan / “Insider” will respond to your query & I’m actually hopeful that you might rethink your post & delete it or that an Admin might delete it for you.

SU DOG
November 10th, 2017, 08:23 AM
I too would like to see this post deleted. It's like kicking someone when they are down. Omari is working now to return to the field after the injury that has sidelined him.

smallcollegefbfan
November 10th, 2017, 08:42 AM
I too would like to see this post deleted. It's like kicking someone when they are down. Omari is working now to return to the field after the injury that has sidelined him.

Here is why I bring this up. Williams is a smart dude. He has the ability. He was very good as a junior. I liked his film. I have said it before. I brought this up to ask if your people have heard about his attitude. Apparently he is not taking school seriously and bought into his own hype. He has said that because White, Bradberry, Tartt, etc have been drafted that he will definitely be the next Samford DB drafted. He thinks he has to leave school to go train and has become a diva. Williams has ability and can play CB but he has played some safety this year and not looked good at all. I have seen some bad drops and seen him take poor angles on tackles. It is almost like the good player I saw in 2016 became full of himself and read clippings and is not the same player. I expect him to repeat as 1st-team All-SoCon but I would not put him on an All-America team.

The post can be deleted if you want but I have good sources and have been on campus. Williams was on pace to get his degree this year but is no longer on pace to.

SU DOG
November 10th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I think a better place for this discussion would be on our own message board samfordbulldogs.com

smallcollegefbfan
November 10th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I think a better place for this discussion would be on our own message board samfordbulldogs.com

I don't read team boards. Ask around and see if you are hearing the diva mess for Williams as well. It is puzzling because he has had good grades in the past and comes from a good home. I was really surprised. He went from my sleeper in the preseason to someone I would not want in my team's camp now unless he changes his attitude.

Redbird 4th & short
November 10th, 2017, 08:51 AM
delete this thread .. period. The kid is a college student-athlete, not a professional. Zero need to call him out like this. Lots of kids struggle to finish college.

This isn't censorship .. this is basic decency. Putting the kids name in header is a unacceptable.

p.s. and what college (or even grade school) did original poster go to .. you mis-spelled disappointed .. one S.

caribbeanhen
November 10th, 2017, 08:52 AM

If you really want to see a special player check out Nasir Adderley

smallcollegefbfan
November 10th, 2017, 08:54 AM
delete this thread .. period. The kid is a college student-athlete, not a professional. Zero need to call him out like this. Lots of kids struggle to finish college.

This isn't censorship .. this is basic decency. Putting the kids name in header is a unacceptable.

I did not say he was struggling to finish out of lack of ability. I said he has basically quit on classes and is not putting in the effort. Omari is a very capable. I meant to ask the question to Samford folks because I'm very disappointed in the fact he is not giving his best effort and basically already thinks he is a NFL player. He was on pace to graduate in May but now he would have to change his approach just to get done in December of of 2018. If he pulls out of college in December and goes to train he will need another year to finish from what I'm told.

smallcollegefbfan
November 10th, 2017, 08:57 AM
If you really want to see a special player check out Nasir Adderley

He is just a junior so teams are not looking at him heavily. We usually only watch juniors if they have gaudy production like the Fordham RB did or Watson at Penn.

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2017, 03:10 PM
I think some people here are taking this out of context.

Williams as an athlete with openly expressed aspirations for the NFL has subjected himself to examination by the scouts. His performance in college is essientially his job interview for the NFL. If I was interviewing a candidate for a posistion and I noticed a lack of effort (because SCFBF is concerned about effort, not ability) I would want to know about it as well.

A lack of effort shouldn't merit sympathy. Work ethic and ability are ENTIRELY different entities.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Williams as an athlete with openly expressed aspirations for the NFL has subjected himself to examination by the scouts. His performance in college is essientially his job interview for the NFL. If I was interviewing a candidate for a posistion and I noticed a lack of effort (because SCFBF is concerned about effort, not ability) I would want to know about it as well.

A lack of effort shouldn't merit sympathy. Work ethic and ability are ENTIRELY different entities.

If you were interviewing a candidate for a position & you sought this kind of information (publicly or privately) without the candidate’s written permission to do so, specifically for the position for which you were hiring, you would be violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Thus, if any adverse decisions/ actions resulted from your illegal gathering of such information causing damages to the candidate, you would be subject to:
* Actual or statutory damages;
* Attorney's fees;
* Court costs; and,
* Punitive damages if the violation was willful.

I’m doubtful that Mr. Williams has provided such permission to SmallCollegeFBFan or anyone else on this board.

Professor Chaos
November 10th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Uh-oh... are assets about to be frozen??? Someone get TheFan on retainer ASAP!

JSUSoutherner
November 10th, 2017, 05:22 PM
If you were interviewing a candidate for a position & you sought this kind of information (publicly or privately) without the candidate’s written permission to do so, specifically for the position for which you were hiring, you would be violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Thus, if any adverse decisions/ actions resulted from your illegal gathering of such information causing damages to the candidate, you would be subject to:
* Attorney's fees;
* Court costs; and,

I’m doubtful that Mr. Williams has provided such permission to SmallCollegeFBFan or anyone else on this board.

I never said I would infringe upon regulations. I said I would like to know the information.

I highly doubt what is being asked for is infringing on anything.

SU DOG
November 10th, 2017, 06:06 PM
SCFBF, if you are that disappointed with Omari, why don't you discuss it with the our coaches, and NOT smear the kid's name across AGS? After all you said, "I have been on campus, and have good sources." I'm the primary Samford poster on here, and I don't know enough about the situation to offer anything. If I knew something negative would I post it here? Of course not. The only thing I could add is that three games ago he made 9 tackles, 2 pass breakups, and a spectacular athletic interception in the end zone to seal our Wofford win. The two games since, he has been injured. Therefore, it seems to me that this thread is not only disrespectful, it was moot pointed to begin with.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 06:07 PM
* Attorney's fees;
* Court costs; and,

BS...What does asking about the guys effort and reputation have to do with the Fair Credit Reporting Act? FCRA is only relevant for credit and consumer reports.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2017, 06:28 PM
BS...What does asking about the guys effort and reputation have to do with the Fair Credit Reporting Act? FCRA is only relevant for credit and consumer reports.

”A Consumer Report is much broader in scope than just a credit report. It affects a wide variety of information obtained concerning job applicants. A Consumer Report includes criminal and civil records, driving records, civil lawsuits, reference checks and any other information obtained by a Consumer Reporting Agency. By following the FCRA, an applicant's privacy rights are protected.”

http://www.esrcheck.com/Articles/Complying-with-the-Fair-Credit-Reporting-Act-in-Four-Easy-Steps/135/

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 06:30 PM
”A Consumer Report is much broader in scope than just a credit report. It affects a wide variety of information obtained concerning job applicants. A Consumer Report includes criminal and civil records, driving records, civil lawsuits, reference checks and any other information obtained by a Consumer Reporting Agency. By following the FCRA, an applicant's privacy rights are protected.”

http://www.esrcheck.com/Articles/Complying-with-the-Fair-Credit-Reporting-Act-in-Four-Easy-Steps/135/

????

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2017, 07:08 PM
????

i’ll keep trying....

1. You have to accept that a Reference Check, formal or informal, IS a Consumer Report subject to the FCRA. Courts have held that they are & I can cite innumerable sources that say that they are, but if you don’t / won’t accept that, then there is no point in continuing.

If you can accept that, then...

”Who May Obtain Your Consumer Report - Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, a prospective employer has a right to obtain these records, but only with your written permission.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/c/consumer-reporting-agency-cra/

Daytripper
November 10th, 2017, 07:26 PM
This is an ignorant thread that should be avoided. I am sorry I clicked.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 07:32 PM
i’ll keep trying....

1. You have to accept that a Reference Check, formal or informal, IS a Consumer Report subject to the FCRA. Courts have held that they are & I can cite innumerable sources that say that they are, but if you don’t / won’t accept that, then there is no point in continuing.

If you can accept that, then...

”Who May Obtain Your Consumer Report - Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, a prospective employer has a right to obtain these records, but only with your written permission.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/c/consumer-reporting-agency-cra/

But it isn't... , not for this purpose. This has nothing related to credit, credit rating, etc. If I am interviewing potential employees, and I check their previous employers or references, or references of references, it has nothing to do with FCRA. If I pull a credit report as a condition of employment, then FCRA applies. But a consumer reporting agency isn't going to ask if someone was lazy in school....All they care about is what kind of credit they have and do they pay their bills on time,
Sec. 1681a. Definitions; rules of construction

(a) Definitions and rules of construction set forth in this section are applicable for the purposes of this title.(b) The term "person" means any individual, partnership, corporation, trust, estate, cooperative, association, government or governmental subdivision or agency, or other entity.
(c) The term "consumer" means an individual.
(d) The term "consumer report" means any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a consumer reporting agency bearing on a consumer's credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living which is used or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for the purpose of serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for (1) credit or insurance to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, or (2) employment purposes, or (3) other purposes authorized under section 604. The term does not include (A) any report containing information solely as to transactions or experiences between the consumer and the person making the report; (B) any authorization or approval of a specific extension of credit directly or indirectly by the issuer of a credit card or similar device; or (C) any report in which a person who has been requested by a third party to make a specific extension of credit directly or indirectly to a consumer conveys his decision with respect to such request, if the third party advises the consumer of the name and address of the person to whom the request was made and such person makes the disclosures to the consumer required under section 615

(f) The term "consumer reporting agency" means any person which, for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports to third parties, and which uses any means or facility of interstate commerce for the purpose of preparing or furnishing consumer reports.

FUBeAR
November 10th, 2017, 07:51 PM
But it isn't... , not for this purpose. This has nothing related to credit, credit rating, etc. If I am interviewing potential employees, and I check their previous employers or references, or references of references, it has nothing to do with FCRA. If I pull a credit report as a condition of employment, then FCRA applies. But a consumer reporting agency isn't going to ask if someone was lazy in school....All they care about is what kind of credit they have and do they pay their bills on time,
Sec. 1681a. Definitions; rules of construction

(a) Definitions and rules of construction set forth in this section are applicable for the purposes of this title.(b) The term "person" means any individual, partnership, corporation, trust, estate, cooperative, association, government or governmental subdivision or agency, or other entity.
(c) The term "consumer" means an individual.
(d) The term "consumer report" means any written, oral, or other communication of any information by a consumer reporting agency bearing on a consumer's credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living which is used or expected to be used or collected in whole or in part for the purpose of serving as a factor in establishing the consumer's eligibility for (1) credit or insurance to be used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, or (2) employment purposes, or (3) other purposes authorized under section 604. The term does not include (A) any report containing information solely as to transactions or experiences between the consumer and the person making the report; (B) any authorization or approval of a specific extension of credit directly or indirectly by the issuer of a credit card or similar device; or (C) any report in which a person who has been requested by a third party to make a specific extension of credit directly or indirectly to a consumer conveys his decision with respect to such request, if the third party advises the consumer of the name and address of the person to whom the request was made and such person makes the disclosures to the consumer required under section 615

(f) The term "consumer reporting agency" means any person which, for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports to third parties, and which uses any means or facility of interstate commerce for the purpose of preparing or furnishing consumer reports.

You are only seeing what you want to see. My business for the past 25 years has been closely related to this topic & my attorneys have always advised following FCRA guidelines in the process of conducting formal or informal reference checks.

You may, of course, choose to follow whatever procedures in these type of endeavors, or lack of, as you choose.

Nothing further to add. I’m sorry this thread exists.

PantherRob82
November 10th, 2017, 09:30 PM
This thread brings the LOLs.

BisonFan02
November 10th, 2017, 09:37 PM
ASSETS FROZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FREE* SACK LUNCHES FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

except anyone here that's a student athlete.....or something. #moreassetsfrozen #nocops

Bisonoline
November 10th, 2017, 09:47 PM
* Attorney's fees;
* Court costs; and,

The information is already out in the public domain. So I doubt the FRCA comes in to play here.

BisonFan02
November 10th, 2017, 09:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Bgjxx47WU

Katfan
November 10th, 2017, 11:13 PM
Agree **** twice scary. But there’s a lot of bs that gets spread on here as fact.

- - - Updated - - -

The information is already out in the public domain. So I doubt the FRCA comes in to play here.
That’s just bs.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 10th, 2017, 11:19 PM
If this is just rumor and not publicly known information then I too think this is a bit out of line for now. If that statement I made is not correct and this is public then I don't really see too much of a problem there.

Those making the posts in question can chenge their own posts as well. You figure out what level of decency should be exercised on this matter on your own if you would because I don't really know what is right on this one without knowing more about it...but I don't want more about it posted if it isn't public...get my conundrum here?

If this isn't public, fix it.

You can always make a post that says "I have a couple of question about a Samford player I would like to ask someone in the know from Samford about" and do it via a pm..thereby still utilizing the board as your easy button to get the information you seek.

I am changing the title of this thread and you guys do the rest as you see fit...unless I have to, I won't.

cx500d
November 10th, 2017, 11:23 PM

Let alone that none of it has to do with credit...

ursus arctos horribilis
November 10th, 2017, 11:23 PM
btw, the only things I see as possibly questionable are the ones that may not be public. For instance if scff has actually talked to teams and they have not shown much interest or have then I think these are fair statements that can be made.

Bisonoline
November 10th, 2017, 11:26 PM
Agree **** twice scary. But there’s a lot of bs that gets spread on here as fact.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s just bs.

Is it?

Bisonoline
November 10th, 2017, 11:31 PM
btw, the only things I see as possibly questionable are the ones that may not be public. For instance if scff has actually talked to teams and they have not shown much interest or have then I think these are fair statements that can be made.

The thing is information like this is freely talked about within the scouting and coaching community. Not to mention the host of fan websites that discuss this stuff.,

walliver
November 11th, 2017, 07:50 AM
I do not think it appropriate on a board like this for calling out a player for issues like this, I do have several comments about the general situation.

At many schools in FCS, especially those like Samford, graduation rates, APR performance, and other metrics are highly valued by school administrators. At other schools, especially in FBS these metrics are less valued, and in some cases ethically fraudulent (UNC). The facts are that at some schools, athletes leave once their eligibility is over and their second semester scholarships given to "grayshirts". Many athletes "give up" academically during their last semester. Many athletes have unrealistic expectations about the NFL.

The Citadel had a player drop out of school so that he could train for the NFL draft this spring. A real WTF moment since most of us would assume that playing football on a team is the best NFL preparation. There probably is a back story and I doubt we'll see him playing on Sunday.

On a somewhat related topic, how many graduate transfers actually complete a post-graduate degree?

Redbird 4th & short
November 11th, 2017, 08:04 AM

JSU .. at same time, it would appear you agree there should be a line drawn somewhere on stuff like this or no ? In this case, i just don't think it should matter that this kid actually has realistic NFL aspirations .. versus the 1,000's that have unrealistic NFL aspirations and are using colleges that are using them to play/win football games. To me, either way, it doesn't matter .. I think it's wrong to openly discuss something like this on a pubic forum .. particularly with his name in thread header.

Sympathy has nothing to do with it .. privacy and basic mind our own business - he did not put himself out there for this. On that note, I still find it funny that the OP mis-spelled disappointed.

I just noticed the thread name got changed .... nicely done !!!

Redbird 4th & short
November 11th, 2017, 08:08 AM
JSU .. at same time, it would appear you agree there should be a line drawn somewhere on stuff like this or no ? In this case, i just don't think it should matter that this kid actually has realistic NFL aspirations .. versus the 1,000's that have unrealistic NFL aspirations and are using colleges that are using them to play/win football games. To me, either way, it doesn't matter .. I think it's wrong to openly discuss something like this on a pubic forum .. particularly with his name in thread header.

Sympathy has nothing to do with it .. privacy and basic mind our own business - he did not put himself out there for this. On that note, I still find it funny that the OP mis-spelled disappointed.

and mis-spelled the word, question, no less ... touche, if done on purpose by moderators !

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2017, 08:17 AM

I like how you made this whole post trying to make it sound like I agree with you and completely ignored the most important part of my post.

There is a line. If the guy was struggling due to a lack of ability and SCFF was spewing stuff without having the sources he claims to have, then yes, I would agree that this topic is not suitable.

HOWEVER, this conversation is stems from a players alleged lack of effort and work ethic.

I do question why he would bring the conversation here if he has his sources at Samford but I don't take major issue with it.

Redbird 4th & short
November 11th, 2017, 08:27 AM
I like how you made this whole post trying to make it sound like I agree with you and completely ignored the most important part of my post.

There is a line. If the guy was struggling due to a lack of ability and SCFF was spewing stuff without having the sources he claims to have, then yes, I would agree that this topic is not suitable.

HOWEVER, this conversation is stems from a players alleged lack of effort and work ethic.

I do question why he would bring the conversation here if he has his sources at Samford but I don't take major issue with it.
just to clarify .. I was only trying to acknowledge that your post inferred you recognized a line should be drawn somewhere .. meaning we're only disagreeing about where to draw that line. Didn't mean to do anything more than that.

JSUSoutherner
November 11th, 2017, 08:28 AM
just to clarify .. I was only trying to acknowledge that your post inferred you recognized a line should be drawn somewhere .. meaning we're only disagreeing about where to draw that line. Didn't mean to do anything more than that.
Fair enough.

wcugrad95
November 11th, 2017, 08:35 AM
"Effort" in the classroom or on the field - who is measuring that, and how are they getting that done? The kid has been battling through an injury, and maybe that has effected everything for him. Maybe he is taking a load of classes that are harder than anything he has ever taken before. Maybe he broke up with his girlfriend. Maybe a million other things. I have a daughter in college who does not play sports. I try to be fair and objectionable regarding the effort I think she is putting forth until I see her grades at the end of the semester. Consequences (bad) or rewards (good) come at that time.

If the guy has dropped out of classes and is getting kicked off the team, or if he has broken laws and gotten in trouble - then there should be a thread. You know - something concrete to go on.

SU DOG
November 11th, 2017, 08:48 AM
If this is just rumor and not publicly known information then I too think this is a bit out of line for now. If that statement I made is not correct and this is public then I don't really see too much of a problem there.

Those making the posts in question can chenge their own posts as well. You figure out what level of decency should be exercised on this matter on your own if you would because I don't really know what is right on this one without knowing more about it...but I don't want more about it posted if it isn't public...get my conundrum here?

If this isn't public, fix it.

You can always make a post that says "I have a couple of question about a Samford player I would like to ask someone in the know from Samford about" and do it via a pm..thereby still utilizing the board as your easy button to get the information you seek.

I am changing the title of this thread and you guys do the rest as you see fit...unless I have to, I won't.

THANK YOU Ursus.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 11th, 2017, 10:21 AM
The thing is information like this is freely talked about within the scouting and coaching community. Not to mention the host of fan websites that discuss this stuff.,

I appreciate the info. as I do not attend any of those sorts of sites but as Wally mentioned it just doesn't really seem appropriate to me to be a thing being done on this board really. It could have been done the way I suggested and would have been the more decent action. I am sure scff is not trying to demean the kid but if it comes off that way then I would think the person putting it up might want to rethink the action was what I am hoping would occur.

For whatever reason this just feels a little dirty on the AGS soul. In general the promotion of FCS teams, players, schools etc. is the goal but I know there is gonna be bad and all that but I just hope that this place doesn't promote non verified information. If this is verified, I can't complain but I want to.

ElCid
November 11th, 2017, 06:00 PM
The Citadel had a player drop out of school so that he could train for the NFL draft this spring. A real WTF moment since most of us would assume that playing football on a team is the best NFL preparation. There probably is a back story and I doubt we'll see him playing on Sunday.

On a somewhat related topic, how many graduate transfers actually complete a post-graduate degree?

Well that is not exactly accurate. He did graduate for his bachelor's. But did not use his last year of eligibility in graduate school Not the same as dropping out.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Well that is not exactly accurate. He did graduate for his bachelor's. But did not use his last year of eligibility in graduate school Not the same as dropping out.

Yeah, not even close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 11th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Omari Williams didn't start today but he had an interception returned for 11 yds, a pass breakup and three solo tackles vs. ETSU. Also saw that Treyvon Paulk scored a TD against ETSU. If that name is not familiar, it should. He originally showed up in Knoxville before being unceremoniously kicked off the team for domestic violence.

walliver
November 11th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Sorry for the misinformation. It's been a while since I read the article, and the only part of the article that stood out was that he was preparing for the NFL by not playing.

Bisonoline
November 11th, 2017, 07:49 PM
I appreciate the info. as I do not attend any of those sorts of sites but as Wally mentioned it just doesn't really seem appropriate to me to be a thing being done on this board really. It could have been done the way I suggested and would have been the more decent action. I am sure scff is not trying to demean the kid but if it comes off that way then I would think the person putting it up might want to rethink the action was what I am hoping would occur.

For whatever reason this just feels a little dirty on the AGS soul. In general the promotion of FCS teams, players, schools etc. is the goal but I know there is gonna be bad and all that but I just hope that this place doesn't promote non verified information. If this is verified, I can't complain but I want to.

I hear you clucking and agree. It does seem a tad unseemly.