PDA

View Full Version : #21 ISUr @ #5 SDSU

CappinHard
November 8th, 2017, 11:46 AM
This is a matchup of teams that have been inconsistent this year. Both have had games where they looked really good, both have had games where they've looked really bad. One team is trending up, the other might be trending down. Which ISUr team will we see on Saturday? Will being in desperation mode help them refocus and play like the really good team they've shown they can be? Which SDSU team will we see on Saturday? Will they see the potential for a seed and continue their trend upward? Should be an interesting matchup.

Is it just me, or has ISUr played well against teams that rely on rushing the ball (USD and YSU) and not as well against teams that rely on passing the ball (SIU and WIU)? If that's the case, it seems to bode well for SDSU.

Let's hear it redbird fans, how do you think this game goes?

Bison56
November 8th, 2017, 02:13 PM
ISUr was bad last week so they will look like a contender this week.

Kemo
November 8th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Is it just me, or has ISUr played well against teams that rely on rushing the ball (USD and YSU) and not as well against teams that rely on passing the ball (SIU and WIU)? If that's the case, it seems to bode well for SDSU.
Throw in the Redbirds' loss to NAU w/ Cookus and that seems to be accurate.

It also seems the games ISU-Red win they rush the ball really well, which doesn't bode as well since SDSU's run D hasn't been great at times this year (though seems to be getting a bit better).

Redbird 4th & short
November 8th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Last week vs WIU was tale of 2 halves .. we dominated most of 1st half .. led 14-0, despite Kolbe throwing pick in end zone. We gave up about 105 total yards 1st half.

But they made halftime adjustments, and dominated Q3 .. when they had 3 drives, 17 points, and 215 total yards.

But early Q4 down 17-14, the game slipped away on 2 turnovers inside their red zone within 18 seconds .. with momentum in their favor, we decided down 3 with over 13 mins left in game to fake a punt from our own 25, and it failed .. not at mid field, but in their red zone .. WTF !!! They pounced on one play pass strike diving to back of end zone .. looked out to most people, but no over-rule .. down 24-14. So on ensuing KO, our KR gets to 20 and fumbles .. likely concussed on play. So 2 turnovers in their red zone inside of 18 seconds .. they scored 5 plays laters .. now up 31-14 with 10 mins left to play. Very next offensive series .. 2 straight sacks, OL on their heels now ... Stale mate from there as our offense abandoned run game.

Credit to WIU coaches .. They made right adjustments at half on both offense and defense. Our offense never got it going again. Our defense recovered but too late. Q3 collapse and 2 turnovers in red zone to start Q4 .. 31 points in 20 mins.

So we saw both ISUr teams last week .. Dr Jeckyl .. meet Mr Hyde.

Redbird 4th & short
November 8th, 2017, 06:23 PM
We tend to do well against dual threat QBs, but mainly if they rely more on run than pass. Best examples of what we like to do .. looks at our SDSU game last year and USD game this year .. except those were both at home. This one is on road .. inclement weather might improve our chances. BUt I would say if we played this same game with same circumstances 5 times, I think we would win once, maybe twice. I just don't think we can execute our game plan as well as we did last year against SDSU or this year against USD .. both explosive offenses with dual threat QBs.

If our OL and run game plan are working well, our chances improve considerably .. especially if weather in dicey. Even then, were talking close game and maybe we pull it out if we can fluster Christion. Last year, he was 33 of 63 for 400 yards, but had 3 picks. But we had stuffed your run and were able to be very efficient on offense finishing our drives.

Hard to bank on that all again this year .. but as capable of bringing our A game as we are our C game, Neither would surprise me. That said, I like our chances and match yup better against NDSU at home.

Need to loo harder at your run defense . .then maybe I'll be more optimistic about my Redbird. But a loss would not surprise me in least .. back in August, I picked SDSU to win MVFC and this was my toughest game to win all year.

CappinHard
November 8th, 2017, 07:52 PM
Fwiw, 5dimes has SDSU as 11.5 point favorites. I think it's a bit high considering how desperate ISU will be, however this game is very hard to handicap due to the inconsistencies from both teams. I think if SDSU can get their score over 30, they have a 90% chance of winning. If ISU can keep this to a lower scoring affair, perhaps holding SDSU under 20, I think ISU has the 90% chance of winning. In between there it's anyone's guess. My prediction is SDSU winning 35-24 with the main reason how the offensive line and TC are playing right now. If NDSU couldn't get enough pressure on TC, will ISU be able to? I think the offensive line would have to have a bad day.

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Throw in the Redbirds' loss to NAU w/ Cookus and that seems to be accurate.

It also seems the games ISU-Red win they rush the ball really well, which doesn't bode as well since SDSU's run D hasn't been great at times this year (though seems to be getting a bit better).

all true .. usually. ButiIt also depends on whether we get our run game going. If someone can explain how we can run for 300+ yards against USD and YSU, but not against NAU or SIU and to less extent ISUb .. then we'd like to offer you a coaching job today !!!

Point being, if we get our run game going, it takes pressure of our pass game (and OL blocking schemes), which in turn gets our defense more rest between series. That is flip side of what all went wrong in losses to NAU and SIU .. run game inexplicably disappears, then OC panicked and bailed out with pass game. Our OL is inexperienced, young, and a little banged up .. this limits our playbook a lot if our run game (and game plan) doesn't get going.

Kemo
November 9th, 2017, 04:18 PM
all true .. usually. ButiIt also depends on whether we get our run game going. If someone can explain how we can run for 300+ yards against USD and YSU, but not against NAU or SIU and to less extent ISUb .. then we'd like to offer you a coaching job today !!!

Point being, if we get our run game going, it takes pressure of our pass game (and OL blocking schemes), which in turn gets our defense more rest between series. That is flip side of what all went wrong in losses to NAU and SIU .. run game inexplicably disappears, then OC panicked and bailed out with pass game. Our OL is inexperienced, young, and a little banged up .. this limits our playbook a lot if our run game (and game plan) doesn't get going.
The odd thing to me was how the Redbirds struggled running the football against SIU considering I was at the Jacks/Salukies game and SDSU ran all over them... and we're not even considered a running team.

Schism55
November 9th, 2017, 04:59 PM
ISUr was a total Jekyll and Hyde last week, what a bizarre game.
Wanted to bet this game, but think I'll stay away. As multiple others have already stated in this thread both teams have shown stunning lack of consistency, but are both good to very good teams.
Final score of any variety would not surprise me.

Redbird 4th & short
November 9th, 2017, 05:41 PM
The odd thing to me was how the Redbirds struggled running the football against SIU considering I was at the Jacks/Salukies game and SDSU ran all over them... and we're not even considered a running team.

you are in a long line of people trying to figure it out here in Normal, IL.

So watch for one thing this Saturday .. do our RBs get some room to run or not .. if we do, your LBers are in for a long day and we have a shot. My hope is because your DTs are big, and I think other than your stud, your DL is inexperienced (per the whole redshirt thread on SDSU) .. that our inexperienced OL struggles more with speed and stunts, than with size. So again, my HOPE is that we will be able to get our run game going. Then we have a real shot at stealing a win. because then our defense will be better rested. That is why we beat USD by 17 and YSU by 35 .. completely won in the trenches on both sides of ball.

if not, then going to be 2 TD or worse loss for my redbirds.

Kemo
November 9th, 2017, 06:26 PM
you are in a long line of people trying to figure it out here in Normal, IL.

So watch for one thing this Saturday .. do our RBs get some room to run or not .. if we do, your LBers are in for a long day and we have a shot. My hope is because your DTs are big, and I think other than your stud, your DL is inexperienced (per the whole redshirt thread on SDSU) .. that our inexperienced OL struggles more with speed and stunts, than with size. So again, my HOPE is that we will be able to get our run game going. Then we have a real shot at stealing a win. because then our defense will be better rested. That is why we beat USD by 17 and YSU by 35 .. completely won in the trenches on both sides of ball.

if not, then going to be 2 TD or worse loss for my redbirds.
I'm interested to see if our front 7 keeps up/continues to improve their level of play over the next 2 games. We had two all conference players (Rozeboom and Soulek) coming into the season, but had a abundance of youth and a dearth of experience at the other 5 spots. It appears that they're starting to gel as a group, which is to be expected as the young pups gain experience.

mmiller_34
November 9th, 2017, 08:32 PM
I'm interested to see if our front 7 keeps up/continues to improve their level of play over the next 2 games. We had two all conference players (Rozeboom and Soulek) coming into the season, but had a abundance of youth and a dearth of experience at the other 5 spots. It appears that they're starting to gel as a group, which is to be expected as the young pups gain experience.

It would be great if the front 7 played like they did last week. Earith’s sack was awesome.

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2017, 12:38 AM
It would be great if the front 7 played like they did last week. Earith’s sack was awesome.

I hope they keep up with the intensity. If SDSU gets up early I think we win going away. Our defense is great once they get the chance to play aggressively with a lead and the other team is forced to play our game. I don’t like our chances if it becomes a grind it out game though. The offense needs to come out ready to make another statement. I’m real happy they have been practicing outside, you could tell the difference last game IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2017, 06:15 AM
SDSU is at home.

Jacks by 2 TDs....or more.

centennial
November 10th, 2017, 10:56 AM
SDSU are going to lose this game. Blew their wad on the Bison. ISUr is much more desperate.

CappinHard
November 10th, 2017, 11:33 AM
SDSU are going to lose this game. Blew their wad on the Bison. ISUr is much more desperate.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/JEGZ/haters-gonna-hate/image.jpg

Redbird 4th & short
November 10th, 2017, 12:20 PM

reasonable point being made .. but I give this 50/50 chance of happening .. that is 50% chance we compete with a 50/50 shot to win. and 50% chance they pull away at some point .. so doing that math I give us just 25% chance of stealing a big win on road for reason you say. This game is all about the trenches .. if we do what we did against USD, we can likely win a close game. YSU was beaten up some, so that is why we beat them badly. But same thing there as far as winning the trenches on both sides of ball.

centennial
November 10th, 2017, 01:54 PM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/JEGZ/haters-gonna-hate/image.jpg

Not a hater making a reasonable point. Stig has been known to blow it in "easy" games.

I am much more salty about the refs, than I am about losing to SDSU. NDSU is playing inconsistent, and you can't have 5 turnovers in a game.

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2017, 03:20 PM
I am much more salty about the refs, than I am about losing to SDSU.

Well this is shocking, considering I haven’t seen a single game thread without you bitching about holding xlolx

SoDakSA
November 10th, 2017, 03:36 PM
I am much more salty about the refs, than I am about losing to SDSU. NDSU is playing inconsistent, and you can't have 5 turnovers in a game.

This is an excellent point...to be made in the Marker thread. I don't see how NDSU's inconsistent play has anything to do with the Redbirds and the Jacks game on Saturday. But...that's just me

centennial
November 10th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Well this is shocking, considering I haven’t seen a single game thread without you bitching about holding xlolx

WIU and SDSU mostly. I'll try not to derail this thread. SDSU fans do you really believe a let down isn't coming? I mean it's an annual SDSU tradition at this point. Objectively, SDSU is probably a 7 point favorite in my book.

CappinHard
November 10th, 2017, 06:20 PM
WIU and SDSU mostly. I'll try not to derail this thread. SDSU fans do you really believe a let down isn't coming? I mean it's an annual SDSU tradition at this point. Objectively, SDSU is probably a 7 point favorite in my book.

We have already had 2 this year. I don't expect another. This team is playing like the team we thought they could be, and now that they've found their stride, I don't see them slowing down soon, especially at home.

Thumper 76
November 10th, 2017, 06:23 PM

What Cappin said. Plus, even your own Jorgensen on the propaganda machine brought up how well we have done recently after the NDSU game.

Bison56
November 10th, 2017, 07:28 PM
What Cappin said. Plus, even your own Jorgensen on the propaganda machine brought up how well we have done recently after the NDSU game.

xlolx

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2017, 02:27 PM
SDSU DRAWS first blood on Christian to Goedert 33 yard TD pass. SDSU 7-0 at 7:00 In first qtr.

CappinHard
November 11th, 2017, 02:30 PM
So... Any explanation on Kolbe being out?

Redbird 4th & short
November 11th, 2017, 02:33 PM
That TD is all on our OC .. horrible play calling on 1st series for our brand new FR QB. Kolbe is injured, so our FR dual threat is starting .. he is talented but no experience .. a very serious read option threat. Reminds us a lot of Roberson.

OC got his head out of his a-- and is now back to running the ball.

Redbird 4th & short
November 11th, 2017, 02:40 PM
So... Any explanation on Kolbe being out?

Injured, but available .. won't likely play, unless Broadnax goes down, from what I heard.

So that is our run game on 2nd series .. we can go 4 deep with good RBs and now we have dual threat Broadnax as an option.

In order, #25 Robinson (215 lbs) and #21 Smith (225lbs) .. both very good and tough. Then we go deeper with #8 Birch (235 lbs) and #6 Henderson (190 lbs) .. plus QB Broadnax .. he will break at least one at some point.

I think we're in for high scoring game.

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2017, 02:50 PM
SDSU hits a 38-yard field goal to go up 10-7 with 11:37 left to half

Redbird 4th & short
November 11th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Christion needed to throw that ball away on our sack ? Made FG anyway.

dwtime
November 11th, 2017, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry that was a terrible call, not only did he catch it he got in the end zone......

Kemo
November 11th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Jacob Brown ended up with his TD after all. 17-7 Jacks.

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Christian to Brown for another SDSU TD Jacks 17, Redbirds 7. Just under 4 min to half.

Kemo
November 11th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Wow. That was absolutely terrible by the Jacks' special teams. ISU takes the kick 105 for a TD when he should have been tackled at their own 15.

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2017, 03:13 PM
IL ST houses kickoff 100 yd plus. IL ST 14, SDSU 17 3:45 2ND QTR

Thumper 76
Redbirds proceed to House the ensuing kickoff

centennial
Edit: wrong thread.

TheKingpin28
November 11th, 2017, 03:14 PM
14-7

Wrong thread?

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2017, 03:21 PM
17-14 with ISUr driving

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2017, 03:22 PM
This is the SDSU defense we know

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 03:26 PM
ISUr is playing SDSU better than we did.

I love Stig wearing the cammies! Good American! Somebody should tell him that cammie pattern is on its way out and no longer issued.

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2017, 03:45 PM
ISUr is playing SDSU better than we did.

I love Stig wearing the cammies! Good American! Somebody should tell him that cammie pattern is on its way out and no longer issued.

Pretty sure the the entirety of the general public has no clue that the digital is pretty much done. Honestly using the correct stuff would probably confuse more people. The rest of the military guys will have your reaction. Also, I think it’s the entire staff with the camo look.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Pretty sure the the entirety of the general public has no clue that the digital is pretty much done. Honestly using the correct stuff would probably confuse more people. The rest of the military guys will have your reaction. Also, I think it’s the entire staff with the camo look.

Its a good look. Our staff is wearing the operator ballcaps....I like the cammies your staff is wearing; its more obvious.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 04:14 PM
ISUr dorked that up.....

Redbird 4th & short
November 11th, 2017, 04:18 PM
so much for high scoring game I predicted earlier in game .. both defenses getting stringy .. caught a break with Goedert's drop for likely 1st down.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 04:22 PM
so much for high scoring game I predicted earlier in game .. both defenses getting stringy .. caught a break with Goedert's drop for likely 1st down.

Why can't goedert ever drop a ball when he plays us?

TheKingpin28
November 11th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Cause Valley Football.

Kemo
November 11th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Taryn is fast...

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Taryn is fast...Nice 84 yd romp for TD. Breaks 17 17 tie to go up by 7.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Kemo
November 11th, 2017, 04:50 PM
It's funny, because I use to say similar things about Brock Jensen and Carson Wentz. I've seen both have bad games, but they were always light out against the Jacks.

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Red birds tie game up at 24 with just over two minutes left in the game Jack’s ball starting at the 36 with two minutes and change left

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Red birds tie game up at 24 with just over two minutes left in the game Jack’s ball starting at the 36 with two minutes and change left

Wow, good game...

Much better than our stinkums

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:11 PM
redbirds look content to go to overtime...I don't think they match up against the jacks in that game...

centennial
November 11th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Okay, well this might happen.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Okay, well this might happen.

Little premature....remember how that braggadocio played out for us last week.

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I don’t like it. Ugh. Offense better wake TF up.

Thumper 76
November 11th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Redbirds MISS THE ****ING FIELD GOAL

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:19 PM
yep, looks like isu blew it by going to OT....

Jacks don't have to do much now.

centennial
November 11th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Well this is how you lose a game.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:22 PM
43 yd field goal coming up....

Can he channel Adam?

Thumper 76
Jacks lose a yard and forced to kick a long fg. Up to the legacy.

Thumper 76
Nailed it!!!!!

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:24 PM
game over man

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like we are going to have problems next week.

Kemo
November 11th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Uncle!

Drblankstare
November 11th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Ill St played scared at the end of regulation and payed for it

birdsflyhigh
November 11th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Crazy good game....congrats out to the Jacks on a hard-fought win. Still think the Birds are easily one of the best 20 FCS teams, but will they make the playoffs?

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:26 PM
horrible decision by the redbirds to run out the clock at the end of the 4th.

centennial
November 11th, 2017, 05:26 PM
SDSU with this win probably doesn't get send to NDSU right away.

BEAR
November 11th, 2017, 05:27 PM
deleted

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Wait...Sam is losing to ACU...xlolx

Whaaaa???

TheKingpin28
November 11th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Wait...Sam is losing to ACU...xlolx

Imagine if NWST could have not crapped the bed.

Kemo
November 11th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Crazy good game....congrats out to the Jacks on a hard-fought win. Still think the Birds are easily one of the best 20 FCS teams, but will they make the playoffs?
Great game by the Redbirds. That aggressive D worked more often than not. Probably the worst game of the year by the Jacks O-line, and ISU's Dline had a lot to do with that.

Redbirds are a playoff level team, but most likely will need 1 more victory to make it in the field. Just go beat the Bison next week and you won't have to worry about it ;)

JimmyJack
November 11th, 2017, 05:31 PM
That was the best defense the Jacks have seen this year. It'd be a crime if they can't find a path into the playoffs.

Schism55
November 11th, 2017, 05:51 PM
That was the best defense the Jacks have seen this year. It'd be a crime if they can't find a path into the playoffs.
*Cough* Youngstown *Cough*

Kemo
November 11th, 2017, 05:57 PM
That wasn't the best D we played against all year. The Jackrabbit D was wretched that day (though the offense wasn't great, either) and the YSU offense had the ball for over 3/4 of the game.

JimmyJack
November 11th, 2017, 06:14 PM

The Youngstown game was about the Jacks not having the ball at all. SDSU had >200 yards in less than 15 minutes of possession in that game. 361 yards in almost 30 minutes of possession today (270 if you take away the long run by Christion). Christion wasn't under pressure much vs. YSU. He was running for his life most of today.

caribbeanhen
November 11th, 2017, 07:50 PM

You shouldn't have drank the Kool-Aid

Illinois state the best defense you seen this year ha ha ha ha ha ha give me a break

JimmyJack
November 11th, 2017, 08:04 PM

Illinois state the best defense you seen this year ha ha ha ha ha ha give me a break

All I said was ISURed gave SDSU more trouble than anybody else the Jacks have played. Including NDSU. I'm not the only one saying that. Maybe you should put down whatever it is you're drinking since you're not making any sense.

centennial
November 11th, 2017, 09:10 PM

Football is a game of match ups. The ISU defense works to stop what SDSU runs.

Redbird 4th & short
November 13th, 2017, 02:52 PM
horrible decision by the redbirds to run out the clock at the end of the 4th.

great game to watch .. bit surprising how it turned into more of a defensive battle given how nice the conditions were. congrats on the win.

as for our last drive of game and OT drive, Redbird forum erupted over Spack/OC deciding to let clock run out .. your defense is calling timeouts hoping to get ball back, and we have the ball and are settling for 50/50 OT proposition. After you guys used up your timeouts and we got 1st down to 31 anyway with 1:00 plus some stoppage for 1st downs .. and we chose OT. Mind boggling that we did that.

then we goto OT at 25 ... and after very meager passing day, in which our QB looked pretty weak throwing the ball, and our run game picking up steam, we let our 1st time starting RS FR QB pass on 3 straight downs ... small field, no clock, run game working ... and we pass 3 times ??? I know you guys were stacking the box, but our run game was working pretty well for most part .. especially with our dual threat QB ... but we pass 3 straight plays in OT.

Made zero sense what we did on offense those last 2 drives .. just idiotic what we did with a chance to win. Our kicker is/was 6 of 6 from 40+ yards ... and we were content to take our chances in OT on the road. I guess play to tie at home and win on road did not ring a bell. Redbird fans, me included, went ballistic over weekend into today.

Anyway, good game .. congrats .. SDSU on road was the team I feared most this year. I think we match up better with NDSU. Watch us use both QBs against NDSU if Kolbe is healthy .. sometimes on field together. Was really liking our chances with NDSU losing Dunn, but now they got a FR who can run in there .. we shall see how it goes, but we feel like we beat them in Hancock.

CappinHard
November 13th, 2017, 03:53 PM
I was very surprised by the decisions you are talking about as well. More so by the OT decision to throw 3 times. At the end of regulation, I figured they didn't want to risk having their RS Fr QB make a mistake, so they didn't want to pass the ball. Then they go and pass it 3 times right away in OT?! If you were going to pass anyway, why not try that in regulation? Maybe thought they could catch us off guard? Either way, I'm happy they did it and as you said, very good game. I couldn't believe how the scoring came to a screeching hault after 34 points in the 1st half. I was very impressed with ISU's defense. Their front 4 got consistent pressure, their blitzes worked well, and their DBs played very well. I was especially impressed with #10, he did a great job covering Wieneke. Now go beat NDSU to sneak into the playoffs and kick them to a low seed!