PDA

View Full Version : Unbeaten A&T chasing bowl berth, not national title

Pages : [1] 2

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 03:35 AM
GREENSBORO — There are two — count ’em, two — unbeatens remaining in the 123-team world of the NCAA’s Football Championship Subdivision.

James Madison and A&T are 9-0 with two weeks left in the regular season. That’s it, and that’s all.

Defending champion James Madison and most of the rest of the top 25 teams in the national rankings, including top 10 Elon, will spend the next two weeks jockeying for position, trying to earn one of eight precious first-round byes in the 24-team FCS playoffs.

But not A&T.

If the Aggies end up in the old Division I-AA bracket, it will be a bitter disappointment.

Because it will mean something has gone terribly wrong. It will mean the first Aggies team to go 9-0 in the 93-year history of the program somehow faltered and didn’t win an outright MEAC championship.

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/college/unbeaten-a-t-chasing-bowl-berth-not-national-title/article_881d27b3-24d5-5b66-93db-36c8c831d3a1.html

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 03:37 AM
"A&T’s appearance in the Celebration Bowl drew a 1.7 TV rating and 2.5 million viewers, better than 15 other FBS bowl games in 2015. The FCS national championship game between North Dakota State and Jacksonville State drew 1.4 million viewers on ESPN2.

The disparity was even bigger last season, when Grambling beat N.C. Central in a Celebration Bowl with a 1.8 TV rating and 2.71 million viewers. The two FCS semifinal games the same weekend drew 1.5 million viewers combined. And the FCS championship between James Madison and Youngstown State in January on ESPN2 drew a 0.9 rating and 1.56 million viewers."

Wow.

CHIP72
November 7th, 2017, 04:29 AM
"A&T’s appearance in the Celebration Bowl drew a 1.7 TV rating and 2.5 million viewers, better than 15 other FBS bowl games in 2015. The FCS national championship game between North Dakota State and Jacksonville State drew 1.4 million viewers on ESPN2.

The disparity was even bigger last season, when Grambling beat N.C. Central in a Celebration Bowl with a 1.8 TV rating and 2.71 million viewers. The two FCS semifinal games the same weekend drew 1.5 million viewers combined. And the FCS championship between James Madison and Youngstown State in January on ESPN2 drew a 0.9 rating and 1.56 million viewers."

Wow.

Three thoughts:

1) The Celebration Bowl has the advantage of being televised on over-the-air TV, while the DI-AA/FCS playoff games are on cable.

2) The Celebration Bowl has the disadvantage of being played on a day/time when various other college football games (specifically minor bowl games) are also being played. By contrast, no other football games, college or NFL, are played at the same time as the DI-AA/FCS national championship game. (The championship game is played before the NFL playoff games held the same day.)

3) The TV audience/ratings numbers are the reason why the MEAC and SWAC would be dumb to go back and have their champions participate in the DI-AA playoffs IMO. If one of the primary goals for a DI-AA team is exposure, the MEAC and SWAC champs get that to a higher degree playing in the Celebration Bowl than they do playing in the playoffs.

Professor
November 7th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Three thoughts:

1) The Celebration Bowl has the advantage of being televised on over-the-air TV, while the DI-AA/FCS playoff games are on cable.

2) The Celebration Bowl has the disadvantage of being played on a day/time when various other college football games (specifically minor bowl games) are also being played. By contrast, no other football games, college or NFL, are played at the same time as the DI-AA/FCS national championship game. (The championship game is played before the NFL playoff games held the same day.)

3) The TV audience/ratings numbers are the reason why the MEAC and SWAC would be dumb to go back and have their champions participate in the DI-AA playoffs IMO. If one of the primary goals for a DI-AA team is exposure, the MEAC and SWAC champs get that to a higher degree playing in the Celebration Bowl than they do playing in the playoffs.

Counter Arguement

1. Maybe FCS needs to renegotiate TV deal. I mean you have FOX sports that could push it now as well.

2. The Celebration Bowl is the only game that starts at 12. It holds the title of the 1st bowl game and has the ESPN College Gameday there. The next bowl doesn't start til 2pm.

3. I agree

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2017, 09:29 AM
1. Maybe FCS needs to renegotiate TV deal. I mean you have FOX sports that could push it now as well.

It's the NCAA that would have to negotiate a TV deal and they basically lump the FCS championship in with a whole bunch of other NCAA sponsored championships (essentially everything except for men's basketball). They do have a pretty lucrative deal with ESPN (in the hundreds of millions per year IIRC) but I highly doubt they'd ever bother to break out the FCS Championship in their TV deals. It is probably one of their better viewed championships but still less I would guess than say the College World Series or the Women's Final Four.

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 09:49 AM
At the beginning of the season my thoughts were that the Celebration Bowl takes away from the players in that they can't compete for a national title.

But the more I read into it, from an academic/administrative perspective it's a no-brainer. The MEAC wasn't competing for national titles anyway (no offense), even if they put together good teams on occasion. Having the Celebration Bowl likely helps recruiting in ways that make the teams better, so though they aren't competing for the national title, arguably they may be better than the non-Celebration Bowl baseline.

On top of that, college football at this level is less about championships. The schools are doing more for their purpose by making their schools more money and exposure with these events than they otherwise would.

Professor
November 7th, 2017, 09:58 AM
At the beginning of the season my thoughts were that the Celebration Bowl takes away from the players in that they can't compete for a national title.

But the more I read into it, from an academic/administrative perspective it's a no-brainer. The MEAC wasn't competing for national titles anyway (no offense), even if they put together good teams on occasion. Having the Celebration Bowl likely helps recruiting in ways that make the teams better, so though they aren't competing for the national title, arguably they may be better than the non-Celebration Bowl baseline.

On top of that, college football at this level is less about championships. The schools are doing more for their purpose by making their schools more money and exposure with these events than they otherwise would.

Trust me , i wasn't for it at 1st because we have had similar bowls that failed in the past ( Heritage and Pelican). But after we went to the inaugural game and i spoke to some of the players, i knew this would be a good thing. Those kids get treated like FBS kids. They really roll out the red carpet. And like the kid said in the article, beats a bus ride to a playoff game

Lehigh Football Nation
November 7th, 2017, 10:08 AM
The Celebration Bowl is a success because ESPN has chosen to money and promotion into it. The schools then take that promotion and are able to promote it further at the grassroots level. Kudos to the MEAC and SWAC for understanding this.

Whereas with the FCS playoffs, all the promotion and cost basically comes from the schools themselves, with the NCAA doing not nearly enough to promote it or leaning on ESPN to do more with it. As a result, the NCAA simply does the bare minimum to kick back to the schools to cover expenses.

I have never comprehended why FCS leaders haven't at least tried to talk to, say, Fox about negotiating a better deal for televising the FCS playoffs. Every game should be streamed and on TV. The FCS Playoffs should be properly promoted at least once during a primetime broadcast of a college football game. There really are no more excuses - it needs to be better promoted, and if ESPN isn't willing to spend any time or money doing so, a partner needs to be found that will.

Professor Chaos
November 7th, 2017, 10:21 AM
The Celebration Bowl is a success because ESPN has chosen to money and promotion into it. The schools then take that promotion and are able to promote it further at the grassroots level. Kudos to the MEAC and SWAC for understanding this.

Whereas with the FCS playoffs, all the promotion and cost basically comes from the schools themselves, with the NCAA doing not nearly enough to promote it or leaning on ESPN to do more with it. As a result, the NCAA simply does the bare minimum to kick back to the schools to cover expenses.

I have never comprehended why FCS leaders haven't at least tried to talk to, say, Fox about negotiating a better deal for televising the FCS playoffs. Every game should be streamed and on TV. The FCS Playoffs should be properly promoted at least once during a primetime broadcast of a college football game. There really are no more excuses - it needs to be better promoted, and if ESPN isn't willing to spend any time or money doing so, a partner needs to be found that will.
I can't argue that the promotion of the FCS playoffs is garbage but by "FCS leaders" I'm assuming you're referring to school ADs and conference commissioners and such and the only way they'll be able to impact negotiations with the television provider is if they broke off from the NCAA championship and did their own championship a la the College Football Playoff or to a lesser extent a la the SWAC and MEAC.

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 10:27 AM
I can't argue that the promotion of the FCS playoffs is garbage but by "FCS leaders" I'm assuming you're referring to school ADs and conference commissioners and such and the only way they'll be able to impact negotiations with the television provider is if they broke off from the NCAA championship and did their own championship a la the College Football Playoff or to a lesser extent a la the SWAC and MEAC.

This should happen.

Professor
November 7th, 2017, 10:59 AM

At some point, i think something will give. Because honestly that's why majority of the former powers in FCS moved up in the 1st place. For the exposure and promotion of G5 and P5

wcugrad95
November 7th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Counter Arguement

2. The Celebration Bowl is the only game that starts at 12. It holds the title of the 1st bowl game and has the ESPN College Gameday there. The next bowl doesn't start til 2pm.

3. I agree

For #2, doesn't the New Orleans Bowl also start at noon? I only know some of these lesser FBS bowls because my daughter goes to a now "bowl-eligble" lower-tier FBS school and the New Orleans Bowl is a possible landing spot for them. There are a total of 5 FBS bowls and the Celebration Bowl all on 12/16. So maybe a disadvantage because other games are on, but maybe advantage in that people might gear up for football on that day to kick-off bowl season?

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 11:22 AM
For #2, doesn't the New Orleans Bowl also start at noon? I only know some of these lesser FBS bowls because my daughter goes to a now "bowl-eligble" lower-tier FBS school and the New Orleans Bowl is a possible landing spot for them. There are a total of 5 FBS bowls and the Celebration Bowl all on 12/16. So maybe a disadvantage because other games are on, but maybe advantage in that people might gear up for football on that day to kick-off bowl season?

For the past two years, no other game was on the air until 2 PM EST.

wcugrad95
November 7th, 2017, 11:32 AM
i think this year there will be some competition - the New Orleans bowl is at 1 EST (noon central) on ESPN opposite the Celebration Bowl on ABC. Not sure how many eyeballs will divert to some 7-win teams from the Sun Belt and CUSA, but both appear to be on TV with more overlap than in the past. The Celebration Bowl will still have the "first bowl game" designation.

Also prepare for lots of Mercedes commercials - both game are in the MB stadiums (Atlanta and New Orleans).

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Ok so here's a question:

Why don't we combine the two?

Give the SWAC and MEAC autobids on the premise their champions may not be seeded and will participate in the first round of the playoffs. Move the Celebration Bowl up. Make a designated first round matchup the Celebration Bowl and the winner of the Celebration round moves onward into the playoffs.

Professor
November 7th, 2017, 11:48 AM
i think this year there will be some competition - the New Orleans bowl is at 1 EST (noon central) on ESPN opposite the Celebration Bowl on ABC. Not sure how many eyeballs will divert to some 7-win teams from the Sun Belt and CUSA, but both appear to be on TV with more overlap than in the past. The Celebration Bowl will still have the "first bowl game" designation.

Also prepare for lots of Mercedes commercials - both game are in the MB stadiums (Atlanta and New Orleans).

Here are the numbers for all bowl games played on 1st day. Celebration Bowl held their own

Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl, ABC: Grambling State 10 – North Carolina Central 9. (31,096) & [1.8] & (2,171,618) & [2,711,320]
· Gildan New Mexico Bowl, ESPN: New Mexico 23 – UTSA 20. Attendance (29,688) views [0.9]
· Las Vegas Bowl presented by GEICO, ABC: San Diego State 34 – Houston 10. Attendance (29,286) views [2.4]
· Raycom Media Camellia Bowl, ESPN: Appalachian State 31 – Toledo 28. Attendance (20,300) Views [0.9]
· AutoNation Cure Bowl, CBS Sports Network: Arkansas State 31 – UCF 13. Attendance (27,213)
· R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl, ESPN: Southern Miss 28 – Louisiana 21. Attendance (35,061) Views [0.9]

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Ok so here's a question:

Why don't we combine the two?

Give the SWAC and MEAC autobids on the premise their champions may not be seeded and will participate in the first round of the playoffs. Move the Celebration Bowl up. Make a designated first round matchup the Celebration Bowl and the winner of the Celebration round moves onward into the playoffs.

Some of the schools have "classic" games that first weekend of the playoffs too. Both Grambling and Southern are doing well, so it's entirely likely that one or the other would be in the Celebration Bowl this year, but they already have the Bayou Classic the Saturday after Thanksgiving and then the SWAC Championship on the next Saturday. Some things might be able to be rescheduled in the future, but I don't know if they'd ever agree to move the Bayou Classic from that Saturday.

As much as I'd like to see Grambling and NC A&T in the playoffs, I think the system they're going with currently benefits them financially and logistically way more than going back to the playoffs would. They're getting more eyeballs watching games than most FCS playoff games or lower FBS bowl games, getting more press and TV time, and I'm sure, getting more money (probably like an extra FBS game's worth of $ towards their athletic budgets...that's just a guess though).

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Some of the schools have "classic" games that first weekend of the playoffs too. Both Grambling and Southern are doing well, so it's entirely likely that one or the other would be in the Celebration Bowl this year, but they already have the Bayou Classic the Saturday after Thanksgiving and then the SWAC Championship on the next Saturday. Some things might be able to be rescheduled in the future, but I don't know if they'd ever agree to move the Bayou Classic from that Saturday.

As much as I'd like to see Grambling and NC A&T in the playoffs, I think the system they're going with currently benefits them financially and logistically way more than going back to the playoffs would. They're getting more eyeballs watching games than most FCS playoff games or lower FBS bowl games, getting more press and TV time, and I'm sure, getting more money (probably like an extra FBS game's worth of $ towards their athletic budgets...that's just a guess though).

Agreed on both points.

There are Aggies that want the FCS playoffs too, especially this year (because our key men are healthy).

However, If we make the Celebration Bowl, we'll have the opportunity to bring in more revenue than the revenue from playing 2 FBS teams last year combined. That, on top of the increased funding from our growing student population will do wonders for our athletic department, who added two Golf teams and will be adding a Women's Soccer team by 2020.

I hope our continued success from the game will lead to the FCS finally getting the just due it deserves, from a much better TV deal.

ASU33
November 7th, 2017, 01:31 PM
think that this year's Celebration Bowl will be the biggest. I see the billboards on 85 and 20 around Atlanta already and there's a possibility that we may get a top 12 matchup if Grambling and NC A&T make it. I knew the Celebration Bowl would bring out HBCU alums from various schools but I was shocked to see the other FCS schools represented in the crowd at the dome last year. The only iffy thing that I've heard about the Celebration Bowl was the BCS type model proposed to include Tennessee State if they were ranked high but missed the playoffs, everything else has been A-Okay!

cx500d
November 7th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Mods, please change title thread to:

"Unbeaten A&T chasing mediocrity, not national title"

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 07:12 PM

MoDs, PlEaSe ChAnGe tItLe tHReAd tO:

"UnBeAtEn A&T cHASinG MEDioCRitY, noT naTIOnAL TitLE"

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/spongebob/images/6/64/Mocking-spongebob.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170713013043

cx500d
November 7th, 2017, 07:13 PM
MoDs, PlEaSe ChAnGe tItLe tHReAd tO:

"UnBeAtEn A&T cHASinG MEDioCRitY, noT naTIOnAL TitLE"

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/spongebob/images/6/64/Mocking-spongebob.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170713013043

Sounds about right...

katss07
November 7th, 2017, 07:19 PM
If NCA&T were to decide to play in the playoffs instead of the FCS bowl game, then the committee would rank them 3rd behind Northern Arizona and JMU.

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 07:22 PM
If NCA&T were to decide to play in the playoffs instead of the FCS bowl game, then the committee would rank them 3rd behind Northern Arizona and JMU.

Umm....

cx500d
November 7th, 2017, 07:24 PM
Umm....

He must've ran into a ganja field in the piney woods....

JSUSoutherner
November 7th, 2017, 07:29 PM
Northern Arizona Gamebison :D

TheKingpin28
November 7th, 2017, 07:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng_SycBGMYE

Something like this? :D

WestCoastAggie
November 7th, 2017, 07:46 PM

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-04-2015/BQmViX.gif

Thundar
November 8th, 2017, 08:15 AM
lol..not like they would have won the NC anyway

but yeah..have fun in the "bowl" for a selfie stick and some socks

I love how kids that have not played a playoff game nor a championship game make comments about it being "better" ha

Bison56
November 8th, 2017, 08:38 AM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzIm9mQzj0a_RlousrYfiKdyiMPde3a tX7pTVIZTB4Jg7XMmhQ (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiE4OeLmK_XAhVN0GMKHTYNDg4QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDc wFjgapQjU&psig=AOvVaw0-68SMBmy4qegbrQWbGdSv&ust=1510237702900281)

DirtyDukes
November 8th, 2017, 08:48 AM
SHSU @ JMU was the only football game on TV that Friday night

Professor
November 8th, 2017, 09:07 AM

I love how kids that have not played a playoff game nor a championship game make comments about it being "better" ha

The players that spoke played in the Celebration Bowl in 15 and in the playoffs in 16. So theres that

OhioHen
November 8th, 2017, 11:24 AM
The players that spoke played in the Celebration Bowl in 15 and in the playoffs in 16. So theres that

They spoke from the perspective of winning a game in 2015 and getting their @$$e$ handed to them in 2016.

Which gives the individual a better feeling - winning or losing?

Professor
November 8th, 2017, 11:48 AM
They spoke from the perspective of winning a game in 2015 and getting their @$$e$ handed to them in 2016.

You all see the shortsightedness of winning and losing.

Celebration Bowl had a banquet , tours of Atlanta, gift bags, and a national TV audience in a NFL Stadium

Playoffs had a overnight stay at a hotel with a game on ESPN3.

That's the difference. The bells and whistles. The pagentry. The fun. Winning and losing isn't important when it came to the experience. It's the experience they are speaking of. Something you don't receive in playoffs

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 11:52 AM
What if I told you guys that the only people who care about FCS football passionately are in the northern midwest and on this website?

Celebration Bowl is the smart decision for the MEAC

wcugrad95
November 8th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Probably only fair to compare a bowl game with a championship game - it is a more singular "event' and no doubt both are more special than a bus ride to a 1st round game. The glitz and glamour of playing in a venue like MB in Atlanta, being on TV with lots of publicity, etc. is obviously going to appeal more. As would the "bigger deal" of playing in the FCS championship game at a neutral site for all the marbles.

For financial reasons this is a no-brainer for the schools involved. And if I am only going to play one-and-done (or even 2 and done) or play in a game like the Celebration Bowl as a 18-20 year old I am probably opting for the guaranteed TV game 10 times out of 10. But if those same kids were given the choice to actually play for a national championship (I mean play in Frisco for the title or play in the Celebration Bowl), I would actually be shocked if any team would choose not to play for the championship.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2017, 11:58 AM
You all see the shortsightedness of winning and losing.

Celebration Bowl had a banquet , tours of Atlanta, gift bags, and a national TV audience in a NFL Stadium

Playoffs had a overnight stay at a hotel with a game on ESPN3.

That's the difference. The bells and whistles. The pagentry. The fun. Winning and losing isn't important when it came to the experience. It's the experience they are speaking of. Something you don't receive in playoffs

+1. ESPN could treat the FCS Playoffs in a similar way to the way NCAT was treated in the Celebration Bowl. Why don't they? Why doesn't anyone in charge of the FCS Playoffs pursue a TV partner that will?

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2017, 12:00 PM

mods, please change the title to People Are Too Worried About Other People’s ****. :)

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Probably only fair to compare a bowl game with a championship game - it is a more singular "event' and no doubt both are more special than a bus ride to a 1st round game. The glitz and glamour of playing in a venue like MB in Atlanta, being on TV with lots of publicity, etc. is obviously going to appeal more. As would the "bigger deal" of playing in the FCS championship game at a neutral site for all the marbles.

For financial reasons this is a no-brainer for the schools involved. And if I am only going to play one-and-done (or even 2 and done) or play in a game like the Celebration Bowl as a 18-20 year old I am probably opting for the guaranteed TV game 10 times out of 10. But if those same kids were given the choice to actually play for a national championship (I mean play in Frisco for the title or play in the Celebration Bowl), I would actually be shocked if any team would choose not to play for the championship.

We have to see if any of the kids that landed at A&T, NCCU, Grambling or Alcorn were actively pursued by NDSU, JSU and SHSU, before we can determine this.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 12:08 PM
What if I told you guys that the only people who care about FCS football passionately are in the northern midwest and on this website?

You may be onto something here. those XDSU's sure seem like state flagship schools to me. Those fanbases travel well like their peers of other state flagships in the midwest.

smallcollegefbfan
November 8th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Trust me , i wasn't for it at 1st because we have had similar bowls that failed in the past ( Heritage and Pelican). But after we went to the inaugural game and i spoke to some of the players, i knew this would be a good thing. Those kids get treated like FBS kids. They really roll out the red carpet. And like the kid said in the article, beats a bus ride to a playoff game

And the MEAC and SWAC can avoid having an undefeated team who is ranked in the top 15 go to the playoffs and scrape by the NEC or Patriot League champ and then get throttled by the 2nd place CAA or SoCon team. There are good players in the MEAC but not enough on any team that I would feel confident my champ is going to make it past the quarterfinals. This is a good move for the MEAC unless it is able to field real title contenders who could win national championships.

I do feel sad though because I would like auto-bids removed and the field dropped down to 16 total teams with perhaps top teams not in the playoffs going to bowl games. I would think the FCS could flourish with that. Roll out the red carpet like the Celebration Bowl and have good teams who got left out of the playoffs. I think even dropping down to 12 playoff teams and then having say 5-6 bowl games would be fun. It would also put more pressure on regular season games to win instead of feeling you can go 8-3 or 7-4 and definitely get in the postseason like you do now.

smallcollegefbfan
November 8th, 2017, 12:18 PM

Celebration Bowl is the smart decision for the MEAC

You are about right. The FCS teams in the midwest and northeast are about as good as the FBS teams there and in the southeast and west coast there is a huge gap so only those two areas you mentioned and then fans on this board are the ones who care about FCS. I would say most fans of FCS schools only care about their school. I bet maybe 2-4 Wofford fans will watch the playoffs if Wofford is not in it.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 12:18 PM
+1. ESPN could treat the FCS Playoffs in a similar way to the way NCAT was treated in the Celebration Bowl. Why don't they? Why doesn't anyone in charge of the FCS Playoffs pursue a TV partner that will?

It'll probably happen in the next few years. Fox Sports is trying to compete with ESPN and ESPN has revenue issues

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 12:29 PM
And the MEAC and SWAC can avoid having an undefeated team who is ranked in the top 15 go to the playoffs and scrape by the NEC or Patriot League champ and then get throttled by the 2nd place CAA or SoCon team. There are good players in the MEAC but not enough on any team that I would feel confident my champ is going to make it past the quarterfinals. This is a good move for the MEAC unless it is able to field real title contenders who could win national championships.

I do feel sad though because I would like auto-bids removed and the field dropped down to 16 total teams with perhaps top teams not in the playoffs going to bowl games. I would think the FCS could flourish with that. Roll out the red carpet like the Celebration Bowl and have good teams who got left out of the playoffs. I think even dropping down to 12 playoff teams and then having say 5-6 bowl games would be fun. It would also put more pressure on regular season games to win instead of feeling you can go 8-3 or 7-4 and definitely get in the postseason like you do now.

You'll come with two issues with your proposal; You'd have teams and fanbases that will feel jaded about being skipped over for a playoff berth, and won't support the bowl game as a result. You'll also have additional bowl games on top of the glut of FBS bowl games currently.

The best thing to do would be for everyone to go all in for playoffs, and going after a lucrative TV deal that would entice the Ivy, MEAC and SWAC to join, or scrap the playoffs all together and go to a bowl system with 3-4 max outside of the Celebration Bowl. Have the MVFC Champ play the CAA Champ; Big Sky champ play the Southland champ; the OVC champ play the Big South Champ; the NEC champ play the PFL Champ and the Ivy play the Patriot League champ.

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 12:56 PM

A&T played in the playoffs a season ago

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 01:10 PM

Lets see......................playing in front of 3,281 fans in a spring game type atmosphere in the freezing cold, or playing in one of the best venues on the planet in front of almost 40,000, a large tv audience, a week full of bowl events where the city rolls out the red carpet, and ect.

Yeah it must have been the winning

walliver
November 8th, 2017, 01:19 PM
There are only a handful of FCS teams that would support a bowl game, and most of those are perennial playoff contenders.

Using 2016 numbers: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2016.pdf

27 teams drew more than 10K per game, and 9 of those were HBCU's, one is transitioning to FBS, and one was an Ivy. Of the 16* teams left that fully participate in the playoffs, most of them are frequent playoff participants and are expected to remain so in the near future. If these teams don't draw well at home, they generally aren't going to draw any better for a bowl game.

*Technically I should have included Tennessee State to make the number 17, but I wanted to keep the math simple.

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Lets see......................playing in front of 3,281 fans in a spring game type atmosphere in the freezing cold, or playing in one of the best venues on the planet in front of almost 40,000, a large tv audience, a week full of bowl events where the city rolls out the red carpet, and ect.

If we are comparing the celebration bowl To the first round of the playoffs, then sure give me the bowl game. Personally I have never been to a first-round playoff game with that few fans. Most conference champions make it further than the first round. The fact that you are comparing it to a first round game shows that you acknowledge where the two conferences are at from a competitive standpoint. If you had ever been to a championship game and had that atmosphere and the national championship on the line you would probably change your tune.

Would I pick the celebration bowl or a first round game against Eastern Illinois? That’s a no-brainer.

Would I picked the celebration Bowl over our national championship game against Appalachian state? No way.

caribbeanhen
November 8th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I would love to see North Carolina A&T play this year, but I won't be watching the celebration bowl to see them that's for sure, now if it was a playoff game I would watch, anyway it looks like I'm in the minority

cx500d
November 8th, 2017, 01:45 PM
SHSU @ JMU was the only football game on TV that Friday night

Ok, so there were no other games that night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
November 8th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Winning and losing isn't important when it came to the experience. It's the experience they are speaking of. Something you don't receive in playoffs

Right, so you got a participation trophy.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2017, 01:50 PM

40,000? You count like Lakesbison.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22051&stc=1

iBOsbu
November 8th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I don’t get all the hate. It’s great that they have a bowl, get to enjoy and celebrate. They are not claiming to be national champion. Every conference has their own values, and priorities. Let Ivy League enjoy their conference championship... no one is putting them down for not participating in playoffs. They have a different set of values and priorities.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Why do NDSU fans incessantly hate people for not valuing the same things they do or for liking teams that don't have the same specific list of accomplishments the Bison have?

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:01 PM

So about this game, the attendance for the 2015 Celebration Bowl was 35,528. This shot doesn't include much of the 200 or any of the 300 level inside the dome. During the game, behind each sideline was a mini-party if you will, with a DJ and many open bars during the game. Many of the attendees hung out in these lounge areas, watching the game on the big screens in the club areas.

A&T sold its full allotment of tickets and generated $200,000 on top of the almost $500,000 check given to them by the Bowl Committee.

The whole story isn't being told here.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2017, 02:03 PM
I don’t get all the hate. It’s great that they have a bowl, get to enjoy and celebrate. They are not claiming to be national champion. Every conference has their own values, and priorities. Let Ivy League enjoy their conference championship... no one is putting them down for not participating in playoffs. They have a different set of values and priorities.

Their priority seems to be unfairly denying their football players a postseason that the rest of their athletes currently enjoy.

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 02:03 PM

I was at both games, so you can your photos!

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Why do NDSU fans incessantly hate people for not valuing the same things they do or for liking teams that don't have the same specific list of accomplishments the Bison have?

It's like they believe people devalue the amazing winning percentage they've thrown up this decade or the championships they've won because the MEAC & SWAC play in a bowl game, and the MEAC can send its second or third place teams to a playoff.

Bison56
November 8th, 2017, 02:04 PM

I don't hate the Celebration Bowl, I just don't care. I see it just like any other bowl game, 2 teams playing for a meaningless trophy and a nice paycheck.

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 02:06 PM
I don't hate the Celebration Bowl, I just don't care.

But you cared enough to comment thoughxcoffeex

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Their priority seems to be unfairly denying their football players a postseason that the rest of their athletes currently enjoy.

That's not true at all. Many Aggie footballers have constantly said their experience in Atlanta trumped their 2016 playoff game in Richmond. Alumni and fan attendance of the playoff game in Richmond (with many Aggies living within 3-4 hours) seems to align with that sentiment.

CHIP72
November 8th, 2017, 02:08 PM

Let’s call a spade a spade - some NDSU fans are envious that the Celebration Bowl is a higher profile game, in terms of network and viewing audience, than any championship or playoff game that NDSU has ever played in. They don’t like the fact their team will likely never sniff playing in a nationally-televised game on an over-the-air TV network, unlike the Celebration Bowl participants.

iBOsbu
November 8th, 2017, 02:08 PM

May be unfair to passionate Ivy fans, but players know what they sign up for... Ivy degree and no playoffs. If playoff is a player’s priority then he should go to another school.

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 02:09 PM
If we are comparing the celebration bowl To the first round of the playoffs, then sure give me the bowl game. Personally I have never been to a first-round playoff game with that few fans. Most conference champions make it further than the first round. The fact that you are comparing it to a first round game shows that you acknowledge where the two conferences are at from a competitive standpoint. If you had ever been to a championship game and had that atmosphere and the national championship on the line you would probably change your tune.

Would I pick the celebration bowl or a first round game against Eastern Illinois? That’s a no-brainer.

Would I picked the celebration Bowl over our national championship game against Appalachian state? No way.

I attended the 2016 National Title Game between NDSU and JSU, I also attended The Celebration Bowl a few weeks earlier. Also attended App State/UNI in 2005 up in Chattanooga.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:10 PM
May be unfair to passionate Ivy fans, but players know what they sign up for... Ivy degree and no playoffs. If playoff is a player’s priority then he should go to another school.

And I'm quite sure the benefit of attending an Ivy League school far outweighs missing out on a post-season.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 02:13 PM

and the same could be said of players who go to the MEAC

iBOsbu
November 8th, 2017, 02:17 PM
and the same could be said of players who go to the MEAC

That was my point. LFN said bowl game is unfair to the MEAC players. It’s not unfair to the players. MEAC players know that the conf champ goes to Celebration bowl.

Bison56
November 8th, 2017, 02:18 PM
But you cared enough to comment thoughxcoffeex

You got me xthumbsupx. I should have been more specific as in i don't care about the outcome or if people like it or not if its a good game I will watch.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2017, 02:18 PM
So about this game, the attendance for the 2015 Celebration Bowl was 35,528. This shot doesn't include much of the 200 or any of the 300 level inside the dome. During the game, behind each sideline was a mini-party if you will, with a DJ and many open bars during the game. Many of the attendees hung out in these lounge areas, watching the game on the big screens in the club areas.

A&T sold its full allotment of tickets and generated $200,000 on top of the almost $500,000 check given to them by the Bowl Committee.

The whole story isn't being told here.

So the majority of the people attending are there for the social aspect and not the game correct?

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:19 PM
That was my point. Someone said bowl game is unfair to the MEAC players. It’s not unfair to the players. MEAC players know that the conf champ goes to Celebration bowl.

And just maybe... Hmm... I don't know... Maybe WANT the chance to play on ABC in Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta, GA. Exposure from that game help land many in NFL training camps or drafted.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:21 PM
So the majority of the people attending are there for the social aspect and not the game correct?

The HBCU social aspect is something you won't attending a FCS Playoff Game. However, the majority were there for the game, which was rather exciting.

OhioHen
November 8th, 2017, 02:28 PM
They are not claiming to be national champion.

That's where you're wrong. They advertise with the slogan "A Champion Will Rise" implying (if not saying outright) that the winner is the national champion of something.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2017, 02:28 PM
The HBCU social aspect is something you won't attending a FCS Playoff Game. However, the majority were there for the game, which was rather exciting.

Nice. I am all for it. I don't think I could deal with UNI wanting to no longer compete in the playoffs even if it meant more exposure and money. I might come around at some point, but there is just something I like about the playoffs. To each their own though.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Nice. I am all for it. I don't think I could deal with UNI wanting to no longer compete in the playoffs even if it meant more exposure and money. I might come around at some point, but there is just something I like about the playoffs. To each their own though.

I felt the same way you did, along with many Aggies, including the Chancellor. Then we actually played in the game, and witnessed the pageantry, saw how the young men reacted to it, and found out about the financials, which beat out many FBS bowl payouts.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 02:34 PM
That's where you're wrong. They advertise with the slogan "A Champion Will Rise" implying (if not saying outright) that the winner is the national champion of something.

HBCU National Champion =/= FCS National Champion.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I felt the same way you did, along with many Aggies, including the Chancellor. Then we actually played in the game, and witnessed the pageantry, saw how the young men reacted to it, and found out about the financials, which beat out many FBS bowl payouts.

What is actually funny is I say that I would be opposed to it, but yet would be all for UNI moving up if the opportunity arose. Like an invite from the MAC. Realistically we would be playing for the same thing a spot in a bowl game that to outside a few people is mostly meaningless. I guess the difference is that we would be competing at the "highest level".

It is just an interesting thing that I am not sure people outside of the HBCU community would get.

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 02:46 PM

The Sheridan HBCU National Title is awarded to the winner of the game

OhioHen
November 8th, 2017, 02:48 PM
HBCU National Champion =/= FCS National Champion.

The Sheridan HBCU National Title is awarded to the winner of the game

Is the winner of the Celebration Bowl TRULY the HBCU National Champion? There are years that some D-II HBCU teams would have a legitimate argument that they could beat both the MEAC and SWAC champions. And that doesn't account for Tennessee State.

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Is the winner of the Celebration Bowl TRULY the HBCU National Champion? There are years that some D-II HBCU teams would have a legitimate argument that they could beat both the MEAC and SWAC champions. And that doesn't account for Tennessee State.

There are two HBCU National titles given, one for FCS and one for D2 teams. There's a proposal to bring Tennessee State into The Celebration Bowl fold that was being discussed this summer. It's almost like a BCS type formula that's complicated but would only go into effect if Tennessee State was ranked higher than the MEAC or SWAC champion and somehow missed the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 8th, 2017, 03:32 PM
That was my point. LFN said bowl game is unfair to the MEAC players. It’s not unfair to the players. MEAC players know that the conf champ goes to Celebration bowl.

Whoa, hey. I didn't say that. The MEAC and SWAC get a postseason opportunity that is fun and meaningful for them. FCS playoff teams get a postseason opportunity that is fun and meaningful for them, but is not promoted or marketed as something as special as it is in . (In this area the Celebration Bowl does a better job.) Now the Ivy League doesn't get any postseason at all.

Professor
November 8th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Let’s call a spade a spade - some NDSU fans are envious that the Celebration Bowl is a higher profile game, in terms of network and viewing audience, than any championship or playoff game that NDSU has ever played in. They don’t like the fact their team will likely never sniff playing in a nationally-televised game on an over-the-air TV network, unlike the Celebration Bowl participants.

Can't understand why tho. You had a top draft pick who is might be MVP in the NFL. You should be poking your chest out and celebrating NDSU instead of being mad at another school

caribbeanhen
November 8th, 2017, 04:38 PM

Yep, even though my team hasn't been in the playoffs for seven itching years, I have tried to support FCS and promote football to anybody that likes college football at work and all I get is blank stares. Few have a clue about FCS playoffs or anything remotely related to FCS

I think the interest level is actually getting worse instead of better

iBOsbu
November 8th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Whoa, hey. I didn't say that. The MEAC and SWAC get a postseason opportunity that is fun and meaningful for them. FCS playoff teams get a postseason opportunity that is fun and meaningful for them, but is not promoted or marketed as something as special as it is in . (In this area the Celebration Bowl does a better job.) Now the Ivy League doesn't get any postseason at all.

Nevermind... I probably misunderstood

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2017, 04:49 PM

You must not read the board much. The Ivy League gets the same treatment. xlolx

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Can't understand why tho. You had a top draft pick who is might be MVP in the NFL. You should be poking your chest out and celebrating NDSU instead of being mad at another school

the same reason you get the same responses when there are posts about The Bayou Classic, Florida Classic and other HBCU games that draw 60,000+. Some are jealous that their schools cant draw that same type of interest and it makes them a tad bit insecure so they take shots. That's been the script and course on here for years though. You would think with FCS schools garnering attention that's ordinarily reserved for FBS programs we'd get a "Congratulations" or an " atta-boy" but we get the same script..............the football is terrible or they only care about the bands or its a social event.

- - - Updated - - -

Same exact!

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2017, 04:55 PM
I attended the 2016 National Title Game between NDSU and JSU, I also attended The Celebration Bowl a few weeks earlier. Also attended App State/UNI in 2005 up in Chattanooga.

...but your team wasn’t involved. Apples and oranges. The championship atmosphere is great when your team winning the title is on the line.

ASU33
November 8th, 2017, 04:58 PM
...but your team wasn’t involved. Apples and oranges. The championship atmosphere is great when your team winning the title is on the line.

My team wasn't involved in either Celebration Bowl either I attended either. I enjoyed the atmosphere from both the FCS title game and Celebration Bowl.

caribbeanhen
November 8th, 2017, 05:01 PM

Now if we could get Yale in the celebration bowl I'd watch that, we could call it the southern speed versus homeowner Deeds Bowl.

iBOsbu
November 8th, 2017, 05:05 PM

guilty xlolx

Sader87
November 8th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Yep, even though my team hasn't been in the playoffs for seven itching years, I have tried to support FCS and promote football to anybody that likes college football at work and all I get is blank stares. Few have a clue about FCS playoffs or anything remotely related to FCS

I think the interest level is actually getting worse instead of better

Agreed, been saying this for awhile now. The current format is far too large, the level itself has been watered down the last 10-20 years as schools have moved up to FBS, many people aren't going to FCS games anymore....a crowd of 10K+ was the norm at many Ivy, Patriot, CAA schools in 1990-1995, now it's a rarity.

FCS football in general is in trouble imo...nevah mind the FCS playoffs.

major095
November 8th, 2017, 05:51 PM
I don't hate the Celebration Bowl, I just don't care. I see it just like any other bowl game, 2 teams playing for a meaningless trophy and a nice paycheck.

So why are you posting?

caribbeanhen
November 8th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Agreed, been saying this for awhile now. The current format is far too large, the level itself has been watered down the last 10-20 years as schools have moved up to FBS, many people aren't going to FCS games anymore....a crowd of 10K+ was the norm at many Ivy, Patriot, CAA schools in 1990-1995, now it's a rarity.

FCS football in general is in trouble imo...nevah mind the FCS playoffs.

yep, agree the playoff format is probably is too large at this point. The first round games Are just not competitive enough. the FCS should split into two separate playoffs, you could get 16 good teams from the four best conferences

this year I would take 5 teams from the valley
4 from the CAA
2 from the southern
3 from the big sky
2 from the southland

The rest can go play a lower division playoffs

PantherRob82
November 8th, 2017, 05:59 PM
the same reason you get the same responses when there are posts about The Bayou Classic, Florida Classic and other HBCU games that draw 60,000+. Some are jealous that their schools cant draw that same type of interest and it makes them a tad bit insecure so they take shots. That's been the script and course on here for years though. You would think with FCS schools garnering attention that's ordinarily reserved for FBS programs we'd get a "Congratulations" or an " atta-boy" but we get the same script..............the football is terrible or they only care about the bands or its a social event.

I don’t think there is one ounce of jealousy involved. Like everything else in society it comes from not being able to relate.

They dont understand 60k coming to a game and only 10k caring about the actual game. They don’t understand not wanting to push to be the best team.

Honestly I don’t get why people get so worked up about ge Ivies or HBCUs doing their own thing, with the exception being when they want to crow about how good their teams or how they should be ranked or whatever.

Personally, I have friends who are Alphas and I follow a lot of HBCU bands on social media. It is a different world, but it is entertaining. I was just talking with some people at UNI this past weekend about hitting the Chicago Classic, Celebration Bowl, or Bayou Classic sometime.

caribbeanhen
November 8th, 2017, 06:20 PM
yep, agree the playoff format is probably is too large at this point. The first round games Are just not competitive enough. the FCS should split into two separate playoffs, you could get 16 good teams from the four best conferences

this year I would take 5 teams from the valley
4 from the CAA
2 from the southern
3 from the big sky
2 from the southland

The rest can go play a lower division playoffs

whoops forgot Jacksonville State, the best team in from The barred conferences is the wildcard

Bison56
November 8th, 2017, 06:56 PM
So why are you posting?

I was answering another post.

major095
November 8th, 2017, 08:26 PM
I was answering another post.

Yeah, saw that as I scrolled down. sorry.

You guys (not directed at you 56) have some misconceptions about hbcu football. Even our fans misunderstand some things. Who told you that if 60k people show up to say the bayou classic, after halftime 50k are leaving? The magic city classic drew 70k last year. It went to overtime and was decided by a missed extra point, and do you know how many butts were in the seats at the end of the game to witness it? 70k! No one left! They cared about the outcome. Now, do they want to look good and socialize, and talk noise? Yes, but they want to see a good football game too. If you don't believe me, ask brian jenkins how it feels to be booed at halftime because his team was stinking up the joint. Ask him why he was fired mid-season. The answer wont be that the fans don't care about the product on the field.

Our fans don't think they will show up if we put you on the schedule. We keep telling ourselves that we don't want to see jmu, ndsu, or some other highly ranked fcs team on the home schedule, but the evidence for that claim doesn't exist. Just a few years ago Jax state opened the season at bama state, and in the middle of a thunderstorm it was a packed house, to watch a very good game (and 2 good bands may I add).

So this is to me the definitive statement on the celebration bowl and the playoffs. There are plenty of hbcu fans that don't care about the playoffs at all. There are others like me who'd love to kick your butts in the playoffs. The problem is, the playoffs are a losing proposition as currently constructed. You pay to host a game. You make no money. You get no exposure and oh, did I say you make no money. In fact you may lose money. IF IT DOESN'T MAKE DOLLARS, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. College athletics is a business, and the fcs playoff model is broken and a no go.
I want to play you...and beat you, but I'm tired of seeing ndsu invite the downtrodden of the swac to ND to beat up on them. Let's do a home and home. We'll come to you but you need to bring your tail down here. I want to see jmu or ndsu in south mississippi in early september. It's so hot fans pass out in the stands with no physical exertion. NDSU might melt right there on the field. I was sorely disappointed when bama state didn't have shsu come in for the back end of that deal but I understand b/c they made enough money from playing tennessee state to pay out the shsu guarantee and still have more than they would have otherwise. My theory is if we play you and beat you on a regular basis, but don't participate in the playoffs b/c its a money pit that something will change because we'll all know the champ isn't really the champ. So we've got to play you and beat you. Some of our coaches are cowards and run from you. After jmu put it on us, hopson didn't play another fcs opponent that wasn't in the conference b/f he left for usm. That is the only way for us to get better though and I hope to one day be back in the playoffs, but not before its fair (no bidding to host a home game) and its financially feasible. Until then, come on down to the corn for a game, and I do plan to be in atl for my first celebration bowl.

by the way. no 4th place conference team should ever play for a national championship in any sport.

katss07
November 8th, 2017, 09:34 PM
I have tons of respect for HBCU football. It is a major part of southern heritage and culture. Football is very important to alumni from HBCU schools, and I think the history of the schools is great. Do I wish we could see how the SWAC and MEAC would do in the playoffs? Hell yeah! Give them a shot, I say! But if they don't want an AQ, so be it. Let them enjoy the Celebration Bowl. Aside from the SWAC and the IVY, every other conference is eligible to play in the playoffs, so filling the bracket is no issue (the MEAC can participate, but only conference with no AQ).

We may think of this bowl game as a pointless money grab. Sure the money is a factor. But alumni, players, fans and students of HBCU schools enjoy the bowl game for a reason. It is the best two HBCU schools in the country facing off. I love it that SHSU just played out a home and home with PVAMU. I loved the new stadium, really fun experience. And even though the Panthers really stink, going to the game gave me a glimpse into the world of a PV alumni (or any HBCU school in general maybe not Texas Southern). They really care about their school, a lot. Very prideful. Im sure we all think that we love our respective schools, and we very much do. But when I say these teams mean everything to people, I mean it!

I don't like the Celebration Bowl. But I understand why HBCU schools do, so I think it is unfair to rip it.

Bison56
November 9th, 2017, 06:56 AM

You guys (not directed at you 56) have some misconceptions about hbcu football. Even our fans misunderstand some things. Who told you that if 60k people show up to say the bayou classic, after halftime 50k are leaving? The magic city classic drew 70k last year. It went to overtime and was decided by a missed extra point, and do you know how many butts were in the seats at the end of the game to witness it? 70k! No one left! They cared about the outcome. Now, do they want to look good and socialize, and talk noise? Yes, but they want to see a good football game too. If you don't believe me, ask brian jenkins how it feels to be booed at halftime because his team was stinking up the joint. Ask him why he was fired mid-season. The answer wont be that the fans don't care about the product on the field.

Our fans don't think they will show up if we put you on the schedule. We keep telling ourselves that we don't want to see jmu, ndsu, or some other highly ranked fcs team on the home schedule, but the evidence for that claim doesn't exist. Just a few years ago Jax state opened the season at bama state, and in the middle of a thunderstorm it was a packed house, to watch a very good game (and 2 good bands may I add).

So this is to me the definitive statement on the celebration bowl and the playoffs. There are plenty of hbcu fans that don't care about the playoffs at all. There are others like me who'd love to kick your butts in the playoffs. The problem is, the playoffs are a losing proposition as currently constructed. You pay to host a game. You make no money. You get no exposure and oh, did I say you make no money. In fact you may lose money. IF IT DOESN'T MAKE DOLLARS, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. College athletics is a business, and the fcs playoff model is broken and a no go.
I want to play you...and beat you, but I'm tired of seeing ndsu invite the downtrodden of the swac to ND to beat up on them. Let's do a home and home. We'll come to you but you need to bring your tail down here. I want to see jmu or ndsu in south mississippi in early september. It's so hot fans pass out in the stands with no physical exertion. NDSU might melt right there on the field. I was sorely disappointed when bama state didn't have shsu come in for the back end of that deal but I understand b/c they made enough money from playing tennessee state to pay out the shsu guarantee and still have more than they would have otherwise. My theory is if we play you and beat you on a regular basis, but don't participate in the playoffs b/c its a money pit that something will change because we'll all know the champ isn't really the champ. So we've got to play you and beat you. Some of our coaches are cowards and run from you. After jmu put it on us, hopson didn't play another fcs opponent that wasn't in the conference b/f he left for usm. That is the only way for us to get better though and I hope to one day be back in the playoffs, but not before its fair (no bidding to host a home game) and its financially feasible. Until then, come on down to the corn for a game, and I do plan to be in atl for my first celebration bowl.

by the way. no 4th place conference team should ever play for a national championship in any sport.

Would live to come down, but I would gain about 100 pounds because the food is just too damn good! xnodx

ASU33
November 9th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Would live to come down, but I would gain about 100 pounds because the food is just too damn good! xnodx

Pace yourself! That's the strategy, pace yourself!

POD Knows
November 9th, 2017, 07:52 AM

by the way. no 4th place conference team should ever play for a national championship in any sport.NDSU beat the defending Big 12 Champion in 100+ degree heat in Kansas, our fans might die but the kids would probably be OK. I think a home and home with one of the better HBCU's would be cool but it probably won't happen, NDSU would have to be paid to go down there, how much, I don't know.

Bison56
November 9th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Pace yourself! That's the strategy, pace yourself!

When its good that strategy goes right out the window xlolx

Thundar
November 9th, 2017, 08:00 AM

lol.........

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2017, 09:41 AM
NDSU beat the defending Big 12 Champion in 100+ degree heat in Kansas, our fans might die but the kids would probably be OK. I think a home and home with one of the better HBCU's would be cool but it probably won't happen, NDSU would have to be paid to go down there, how much, I don't know.

Y'all will have to come to us first.

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2017, 10:03 AM
As it was expressed earlier; the FCS playoffs are a losing proposition. Initially, I was very critical of the Celebration Bowl, but after conversations with staff, other alumni, and experiencing it myself. . this is the best option for us for the time.

FCS is supposed to be a cost-control division and that is becoming less and less true. I can't speak for every HBCU, but when schools can buy a national championship (Some have doubled their spending on football since 2010); I don't see any way for us to gain ultimate success in the FCS model. We are in a division that features state-flagship institutions; has whole conferences offering FCOA; and some schools have facilities and enrollments on par with FBS schools. Athletics can increase the profile of the institution, but our primary mission is to educate students. Through the Celebration Bowl, we have leveraged our brand awareness and are seeing phenomenal increases in admission applications - I think A&T's number of applications went up around 45%. I don't have our exact numbers yet, but we enrolled the largest freshman class ever.

Honestly, other FCS conferences would do the same thing, if ESPN came dangling cash in front of them (Ivy and Patriot, I'm looking at you).

All that being said, you'll see A&T in the playoffs this year. xnodx

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2017, 10:40 AM
As it was expressed earlier; the FCS playoffs are a losing proposition. Initially, I was very critical of the Celebration Bowl, but after conversations with staff, other alumni, and experiencing it myself. . this is the best option for us for the time.

FCS is supposed to be a cost-control division and that is becoming less and less true. I can't speak for every HBCU, but when schools can buy a national championship (Some have doubled their spending on football since 2010); I don't see any way for us to gain ultimate success in the FCS model. We are in a division that features state-flagship institutions; has whole conferences offering FCOA; and some schools have facilities and enrollments on par with FBS schools. Athletics can increase the profile of the institution, but our primary mission is to educate students. Through the Celebration Bowl, we have leveraged our brand awareness and are seeing phenomenal increases in admission applications - I think A&T's number of applications went up around 45%. I don't have our exact numbers yet, but we enrolled the largest freshman class ever.

Honestly, other FCS conferences would do the same thing, if ESPN came dangling cash in front of them (Ivy and Patriot, I'm looking at you).

All that being said, you'll see A&T in the playoffs this year. xnodx

I just hope your fabulous AD has your Playoff Bid ready to host Elon.

Serpentor
November 9th, 2017, 11:06 AM

Because sports fandom is seen as a zero sum to most people: my success must come at the cost of your failure. If you reject the system that they accept, it's like you're denying them the right to gloat over you when they win. How dare you not grant them their schadenfreude!

kdinva
November 9th, 2017, 11:09 AM
....by the way. no 4th place conference team should ever play for a national championship in any sport.

including NCAA men's D1 Hoops?

AggieManiac704
November 9th, 2017, 11:23 AM
including NCAA men's D1 Hoops?

March Madness I think could get a pass. Teams get hot and just go on a run. Plus the resume's do speak for themselves when it comes to that tourney

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Because sports fandom is seen as a zero sum to most people: my success must come at the cost of your failure. If you reject the system that they accept, it's like you're denying them the right to gloat over you when they win. How dare you not grant them their schadenfreude!

Sidenote: The UXD's and XDSU's should be in FBS, anyway.

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM
March Madness I think could get a pass. Teams get hot and just go on a run. Plus the resume's do speak for themselves when it comes to that tourney

Plus there is a larger sample of games per team. Much easier to get an idea about the strength of a team based on a 31 game regular season.

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2017, 12:08 PM
There's no interest from me in doubling my yearly donation to the school so NDSU can play in the GoDaddy.com Bowl once every couple years. I prefer the current setup. I'll stop there before I'm accused of ****ting on your parade.

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2017, 12:20 PM
I just hope your fabulous AD has your Playoff Bid ready to host Elon.

This points out a failing with the FCS system as it's currently constituted. Why would we bid to host Elon? It's thirty minutes away. We'd probably have to bid 70K or more to host that game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 9th, 2017, 12:24 PM
This points out a failing with the FCS system as it's currently constituted. Why would we bid to host Elon? It's thirty minutes away. We'd probably have to bid 70K or more to host that game.

The bidding process as a way to determine homefield is absurd!

I'm with those that think the FCS playoff model is broken. I was a much bigger fan of the 1-16 set-up.

WestCoastAggie
November 9th, 2017, 12:40 PM

I'm with those that think the FCS playoff model is broken. I was a much bigger fan of the 1-16 set-up.

Finally! Somebody gets it!

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2017, 12:51 PM

There's less bidding from the round of 16 on in this playoff format than there was in the 16 team format.

We can whine and complain about how bad the penny pinching FCS playoff model is but until fans start showing up for games it won't change. Really it's us as fans that are as much at fault as anyone.

ASU33
November 9th, 2017, 12:55 PM
There's less bidding from the round of 16 on in this playoff format than there was in the 16 team format.

We can whine and complain about how bad the penny pinching FCS playoff model is but until fans start showing up for games it won't change. Really it's us as fans that are as much at fault as anyone.

What would be the "sweet spot" from an attendance stand point to get rid of the bids? I know that the first round games usually have awful fan support across the board.

IBleedYellow
November 9th, 2017, 01:22 PM

I know with 100% certainty that the FCS Title game rolls out a red carpet for the players also. It's just like a bowl game from what one of my friends who was a former player and won a ring told me.

IBleedYellow
November 9th, 2017, 01:24 PM

What now?

That's - just not how the Dakota's are. **** - North Dakota has..ELEVEN Universities in the state for ~750k people.

If it was just the UxeDs and the XDSU's, that would make total sense funding wise.

IBleedYellow
November 9th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Also - HBCU's.

Isn't the entire point about the bands, anyway. xthumbsupx :D

Professor Chaos
November 9th, 2017, 01:41 PM
What would be the "sweet spot" from an attendance stand point to get rid of the bids? I know that the first round games usually have awful fan support across the board.
I don't know but it would have to be a lot closer to sellouts than most schools get now. I'd settle for just no drop off from the regular season attendance numbers. However, it is interesting how reported attendance decreases sharply in the playoffs, when schools have to pay 75% of the money for every ticket reported as sold to the NCAA, from what the reported regular season numbers are. There's a lot of fudging going on in that department in college football and college basketball especially amongst the "mid-major" type programs.

ASU33
November 9th, 2017, 01:41 PM
Also - HBCU's.

Isn't the entire point about the bands, anyway. xthumbsupx :D

No

IBleedYellow
November 9th, 2017, 01:44 PM
No

I don't believe you.xdrunkyx

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2017, 01:47 PM
I don't know but it would have to be a lot closer to sellouts than most schools get now. I'd settle for just no drop off from the regular season attendance numbers. However, it is interesting how reported attendance decreases sharply in the playoffs, when schools have to pay 75% of the money for every ticket reported as sold to the NCAA, from what the reported regular season numbers are. There's a lot of fudging going on in that department in college football and college basketball especially amongst the "mid-major" type programs.

For schools that allow students to attend free, this may represent part of the drop off.

ASU33
November 9th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Speaking of The Celebration Bowl, North Carolina Central has a critical game against Bethune-Cookman this weekend. A win by NCCU sets up a winner take all match-up in Greensboro next week against The Aggies.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 9th, 2017, 04:24 PM

That's the wrong metric in this day and age. Put all the 2nd round games on broadcast TV, stagger out the games so that you can watch FCS playoff football from 12 noon EST to 12 midnight EST, and see what ratings you get.

Once you conclusively prove that there is a TV market for FCS football (news flash: there is), then think about televising one or all of the 1st round games.

The biggest problem there is about the FCS playoffs is that there is no broadcast TV for the 2nd round games, so nobody knows what the games would actually draw ratings-wise. Attendance is always going to be rough for 1st round games that aren't localized.

katss07
November 9th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Speaking of The Celebration Bowl, North Carolina Central has a critical game against Bethune-Cookman this weekend. A win by NCCU sets up a winner take all match-up in Greensboro next week against The Aggies.
Go NC Central! Keep A&T from their Celebration Bowl!!

Schism55
November 9th, 2017, 05:08 PM
For those that watch a lot of MEAC/SWAC games, what are the chances Bethune beats NCC?

wcugrad95
November 9th, 2017, 05:29 PM
For those that watch a lot of MEAC/SWAC games, what are the chances Bethune beats NCC?

Self-admittedly, I don't watch much but do check scores. I saw Bethune play against FAU (my daughter goes to FAU) early in the season. That is not a good gauge against a decent to pretty good FBS team with the additional scholarships, but Bethune took an absolute whipping in that game. Looking at more relevant games, they played NC A&T close in Greensboro, so it would seem they are capable of putting a scare in Central in Durham this weekend.

ASU33
November 9th, 2017, 05:33 PM

I give em about a 50/50 shot. Bethune-Cookman has played some good ball this year and NC Central has often played up or down to their opponents. BCU gave A&T a run in Greensboro a few week back and is more than capable of beating Central.

WileECoyote06
November 9th, 2017, 11:12 PM
BCU has been our DI nemesis; and is the only MEAC team with a winning record against Coach Mack. Last year, we exorcised a lot of demons beating them in Daytona 31-14. BCU definitely presents a problem with a good passing game; but I don't expect them to convert third downs against us. We're third in the country in that stat. Another thing working in our favor is a forecasted temperature of 46 at game time.

I don't expect a blowout, but I do expect us to win and setup Eagle-Aggie showdown Part IV.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2017, 06:45 AM

Nice try.

NDSU went to MVSU on a home/home contract.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 10th, 2017, 06:57 AM

Ya, that must be it....xrolleyesx

The SWAC and MEAC are doing their own thing and it works for them and that is great.

I have been to all 5 National Championships games and there was plenty of "pageantry" for all of them. Frisco rolled out the red carpet for Bison fans and I would not trade those experiences for anything else pertaining to a football experience.

As for perceived ratings? Sure, the FCS as a whole gets garbage time from ESPN and others outlets. The Celebration Bowl and Bayou Classic get better ratings and higher attendance numbers compared to any FCS playoff game or regular season game for that matter no denying that. This bowl works for the SWAC/MEAC. I, as a FCS fan, enjoy the playoff system.

As a FCS fan and a NDSU fan in particular, we have 2 (biggies) we wait for: FBS game and playoffs. It has worked and I thoroughly enjoy it. Could I change my mind on a bowl game? Sure, I suppose I could but that could only take place at the FBS level and watching some of those FBS "bowl games"....they are pathetic.

ASU33
November 10th, 2017, 03:43 PM
BCU has been our DI nemesis; and is the only MEAC team with a winning record against Coach Mack. Last year, we exorcised a lot of demons beating them in Daytona 31-14. BCU definitely presents a problem with a good passing game; but I don't expect them to convert third downs against us. We're third in the country in that stat. Another thing working in our favor is a forecasted temperature of 46 at game time.

I don't expect a blowout, but I do expect us to win and setup Eagle-Aggie showdown Part IV.

Any TV for the BCU game?

Panther88
November 11th, 2017, 09:19 AM

I don’t think it’s absurd. It’s working quite well as evidenced by the overall great support by tv networks and fans as they participate in the playoffs. Teams eagerly participate annually w/out fixing anything so that is evidence that it is working properly, correct?

Looking forward to those 1st round attendance #s and tv coverage during thxgvg w/e. And to that shsu fan, our staff is in the final year of their contract so their jobs are on the line. We will return 17 of 21 starters + quite a few other changes are forthcoming. Isn’t GaSu luring Keeler? All-world Briscoe is gone. Talented RBs, gone. Talented WRs, gone. PVAMU is 1-1 vs shsu. Tie-breaker at your place fall 2018. The pressure isn’t on PVAMU; it’s on shsu, in your home :D .

major095
November 11th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Nice try.

NDSU went to MVSU on a home/home contract.

so you will be at mississippi valley next year? so again...you've not come down and played...yet, and you're coming to play the worst program in the swac (i don't think they offer the full allotment of scholarships) & arguably the worst fcs program in the country. ok... I still stand by everything I wrote.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 08:56 PM
so you will be at mississippi valley next year? so again...you've not come down and played...yet, and you're coming to play the worst program in the swac (i don't think they offer the full allotment of scholarships) & arguably the worst fcs program in the country. ok... I still stand by everything I wrote.

No we had a home and home in 2006 and 2007. We were in itta bena in 2007.

why doesn't your AD call ours?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 11th, 2017, 09:01 PM

Do a little research pal. NDSU and MVSU had a home/home in 06/07, not this year. Commenting on you throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks. NDSU has had a home/home with a SWAC team.

Swing and a miss.

Bisonoline
November 11th, 2017, 09:16 PM

Weve already been there. Plus SHSU. FYI we also beat a great Grambling team in the 60s for the National Championship. Also FYI something like 12-17 players from that Grambling team went to the NFL and had careers in the league. Thats just off the top of my head there could be more. So we really arent impressed with your excuses for not playing in the playoffs.

cx500d
November 11th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Weve already been there. Plus SHSU. FYI we also beat a great Grambling team in the 60s for the National Championship. Also FYI something like 12-17 players from that Grambling team went to the NFL and had careers in the league. Thats just off the top of my head there could be more. So we really arent impressed with your excuses for not playing in the playoffs.

...or your excuses for not beating us...

major095
November 12th, 2017, 12:45 AM
No we had a home and home in 2006 and 2007. We were in itta bena in 2007.

why doesn't your AD call ours?

I stand corrected. As I've said to valley people, If they are going to take a FBS beating, they should at least play a FBS team.

By the way, I haven't made any excuses for losses as some of you have said. You lose, you lose. Certainly I've not apologized for not being in the playoffs. I want to be there...if there's money involved and a move away from the bid system.
I've called some of our coaches and AD's cowards for not playing you and in fact, running from other FCS competition, specifically our former coach at Alcorn since he couldn't take too many losses like that and advance his career. Alcorn apparently did accept/make a phone call which is why we're doing a home and home with mcneese now.

So if you've commented in that way you're as wrong as I was about the home and home.

I'm confident that if we keep pluggin away we will get to where we want be. Alcorn clinched a birth in the swac title game yesterday. If we beat grambling or southern you'll see us on ABC in the first bowl game of the season and at least a 700k payday. You all should watch. I know you're all about the fcs.

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 02:48 AM
Hard to believe that a football program would give up a shot at college football immortality and a chance to prove themselves just so that they can play in a mostly meaningless bowl game for money.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 07:31 AM
Hard to believe that a football program would give up a shot at college football immortality and a chance to prove themselves just so that they can play in a mostly meaningless bowl game for money.

It was that or getting whooped in the 1st round of the FCS playoff.

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 07:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MlUqpX4jk

This play clinched the Celebration Bowl for the Aggies and killed all hopes for North Carolina Central

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 08:03 AM

I'm almost certain if ESPN/ABC gave you the opportunity to play a "meaningless" bowl game as you so eloquently put it, in a time slot on ABC, in a world class venue in a world class city you'd do the same. Notice I said "IF".

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 08:08 AM
I'm almost certain if ESPN/ABC gave you the opportunity to play a "meaningless" bowl game as you so eloquently put it, in a time slot on ABC, in a world class venue in a world class city you'd do the same. Notice I said "IF".

You do realize that over half of the ADs in the MVFC would reject this out right. If it did happen, look for the Dakota schools to want out and to go elsewhere. I could see UNI leaving as well, but it would be hard for them to breakaway from their old rivalries. I don't know any Bison or Bunny fans that would support this. Give me the TRUE D1 Championship OVER the HBCU D1 "Championship" any day of the week. Just remember this, if you go to the NCAA HQ, there is a banner of JMU hanging in the halls for football, not Grambling State OR Clemson.

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 08:12 AM
You do realize that over half of the ADs in the MVFC would reject this out right. If it did happen, look for the Dakota schools to want out and to go elsewhere. I could see UNI leaving as well, but it would be hard for them to breakaway from their old rivalries. I don't know any Bison or Bunny fans that would support this. Give me the TRUE D1 Championship OVER the HBCU D1 "Championship" any day of the week. Just remember this, if you go to the NCAA HQ, there is a banner of JMU hanging in the halls for football, not Grambling State OR Clemson.

Who in the hell goes to the NCAA HQ? You know the College Football Hall of Fame right here in Atlanta which is a MAJOR tourist attraction has a HUGE Celebration Bowl marquee the whole week of the game and has banners of the champion.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 08:13 AM

A BIG NO WAY!

I prefer the FCS playoffs over any meaningless "bowl" game.

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 08:14 AM
A BIG NO WAY!

I prefer the FCS playoffs over any meaningless "bowl" game.

Something tells me you're fine and you'll never have to worry about that phone call coming so don't worry your precious little heart!

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 08:18 AM
Something tells me you're fine and you'll never have to worry about that phone call coming so don't worry your precious little heart!

Neither do you....For either scenario

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread.....good for the SWAC and MEAC if they want to do this.

I love the playoffs and the best is determined on the field over a months span.

Would I go to a "bowl game" if NDSU was in one? Dang right I would but as I said, that will be only if they make the move up.

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2017, 08:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MlUqpX4jk

This play clinched the Celebration Bowl for the Aggies and killed all hopes for North Carolina Central

Isnt NCCU MEAC champ if they beat NCAT?

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Who in the hell goes to the NCAA HQ? You know the College Football Hall of Fame right here in Atlanta which is a MAJOR tourist attraction has a HUGE Celebration Bowl marquee the whole week of the game and has banners of the champion.

Trying to discredit my argument even though it is rooted in truth is quite laughable. If NDSU and/or the MVFC went this direction, I would immediately stop supporting them over a bonehead maneuver. The FCS playoffs is what makes the FCS better than the FBS. Going a route where they play a one and done, winner take all, from the CAA or Big Sky and it does not include playing other teams along the way, hint hint a playoff, then count me out.

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Isnt NCCU MEAC champ if they beat NCAT?

Nope. That loss yesterday knocked them out of contention. NCCU basically lost everything on this one play! A shot at the Celebration Bowl, a Conference title, everything!

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 08:39 AM
Trying to discredit my argument even though it is rooted in truth is quite laughable. If NDSU and/or the MVFC went this direction, I would immediately stop supporting them over a bonehead maneuver. The FCS playoffs is what makes the FCS better than the FBS. Going a route where they play a one and done, winner take all, from the CAA or Big Sky and it does not include playing other teams along the way, hint hint a playoff, then count me out.

But this isn't about the MVFC, its about the SWAC and MEAC. The MVFC is the best conference in FCS football but the fans(mainly of NDSU) are some of the most insecure people I've ever come across in my life. I've never seen so many "yeah but what about us" folks in my life. It's really okay if everything doesn't include you. Nobody honestly asked for any of your assessments of what you would do in a Bowl type scenario but yet and still you guys felt "pressed" enough to give it. I've never seen a fan base so accomplished but yet so insecure.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 08:45 AM
But this isn't about the MVFC, its about the SWAC and MEAC. The MVFC is the best conference in FCS football but the fans(mainly of NDSU) are some of the most insecure people I've ever come across in my life. I've never seen so many "yeah but what about us" folks in my life. It's really okay if everything doesn't include you. Nobody honestly asked for any of your assessments of what you would do in a Bowl type scenario but yet and still you guys felt "pressed" enough to give it. I've never seen a fan base so accomplished but yet so insecure.

Its not insecure, we just want the best FCS bracket, and its disappointing when not all teams that supposedly play in the FCS don't actually participate in the FC. Why the NCAA puts up with schools that want sanctioning and membership, but won't participate in the NCAA's sanctioned championship is beyond me. These teams certainly participate in every other championship the NCAA sanctions, but they are given a pass for football, for some reason.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 08:51 AM

Ya, ok....xrolleyesx

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Its not insecure, we just want the best FCS bracket, and its disappointing when not all teams that supposedly play in the FCS don't actually participate in the FC. Why the NCAA puts up with schools that want sanctioning and membership, but won't participate in the NCAA's sanctioned championship is beyond me. These teams certainly participate in every other championship the NCAA sanctions, but they are given a pass for football, for some reason.

Because participating in a playoff is not required for NCAA membership. Never has been a requirement either!

WestCoastAggie
November 12th, 2017, 09:00 AM
If the Big 12 or Mountain West come knocking in Fargo, ND, the Bison would be "chucking up the deuces" to the FCS Playoffs.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 09:04 AM
If the Big 12 or Mountain West come knocking in Fargo, ND, the Bison would be "chucking up the deuces" to the FCS Playoffs.

If If If....How about we talk about the here and now and current reality.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 09:12 AM

Ya, ok....xrolleyesx

It's reasons like this as to why the SWAC/MEAC will continue to get a bad rap. They are too afraid to continually lose in the 1st round to a mediocre FCS team, so they took their football and left. Good for them, but we all know why they really did it.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 09:15 AM

NGTH. UND and Bismarck would never let what happened once, happen again, plus little brother gets jealous of success of NDSU. Also, with 11 universities/colleges in North Dakota, how could the State of ND afford it? The only way it would happen is if they cut funding to other colleges AND took UND with them. Another problem is that NDSU would require SDSU come with, and USeD is just like UND, so between UND and USeD, they would prevent the XDSUs from ever jumping to FBS, since they control the legislature and the power of the purse.

Plus, the Big 12 already called NDSU and they already said yes to them in Wrestling, so it kind of slightly devalues your entire argument. xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 12th, 2017, 09:15 AM

NDSU is already in the Big 12 for wrestling.....xnodx

CHIP72
November 12th, 2017, 09:16 AM

Since you don't seem to get it, let me lay it out for you:

1) The Celebration Bowl is a higher profile game, based on TV network and number of viewers, than any other all-FCS or DI-AA game, including the FCS/DI-AA championship game.

2) The MEAC and SWAC have decided that playing in the Celebration Bowl makes more sense for them than playing in the FCS/DI-AA playoffs.

3) ESPN/ABC have decided the de facto HBCU FCS/DI-AA championship game warrants national coverage on an over-the-air TV network. The network made this decision, not the MEAC or SWAC (though I'm sure the two leagues worked with ESPN/ABC on creating and identifying TV coverage for the game).

Related to the above...

4) ESPN and the other networks that televise college football games provide more coverage to FBS/DI-A conferences and teams, even low level FBS G5 conferences, than they do FCS/DI-AA conferences and teams. The MAC has their MACtion games on ESPN's family of networks on weeknights during much of the season, especially late in the regular season. The Sun Belt I believe has every game hosted by a Sun Belt team streamed on ESPN3. No FCS/DI-AA conference, including the MVFC, CAA, Southern, or any other conference, to my knowledge receives as much national television/internet streaming coverage. Even in cases where individual FCS teams have their games streamed on ESPN3, I believe in most cases they are using their own broadcasts and creating an arrangement with ESPN to have ESPN stream the games on ESPN3, rather than having ESPN produce the game broadcasts themselves.

5) Various programs that were once powers at the FCS/DI-AA level, like Appalachian State, have made the decision to move up to the FBS/DI-A level, despite the fact they are or will not be as competitive at that higher level than they were at the FCS/DI-AA level. They ultimately decided the higher TV/internet streaming exposure received from playing at the FBS/DI-A level more than offset the higher costs associated with playing at the level, or the opportunity to play for national championships at the FCS/DI-AA level.

Various current or former DI-AA programs - more programs in fact - have shown they value greater TV/internet streaming game exposure more than they value playing for the FCS/DI-AA national championship. That is the fundamental issue at work here.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Since you don't seem to get it, let me lay it out for you:

1) The Celebration Bowl is a higher profile game, based on TV network and number of viewers, than any other all-FCS or DI-AA game, including the FCS/DI-AA championship game.

2) The MEAC and SWAC have decided that playing in the Celebration Bowl makes more sense for them than playing in the FCS/DI-AA playoffs.

3) ESPN/ABC have decided the de facto HBCU FCS/DI-AA championship game warrants national coverage on an over-the-air TV network. The network made this decision, not the MEAC or SWAC (though I'm sure the two leagues worked with ESPN/ABC on creating and identifying TV coverage for the game).

Related to the above...

4) ESPN and the other networks that televise college football games provide more coverage to FBS/DI-A conferences and teams, even low level FBS G5 conferences, than they do FCS/DI-AA conferences and teams. The MAC has their MACtion games on ESPN's family of networks on weeknights during much of the season, especially late in the regular season. The Sun Belt I believe has every game hosted by a Sun Belt team streamed on ESPN3. No FCS/DI-AA conference, including the MVFC, CAA, Southern, or any other conference, to my knowledge receives as much national television/internet streaming coverage. Even in cases where individual FCS teams have their games streamed on ESPN3, I believe in most cases they are using their own broadcasts and creating an arrangement with ESPN to have ESPN stream the games on ESPN3, rather than having ESPN produce the game broadcasts themselves.

5) Various programs that were once powers at the FCS/DI-AA level, like Appalachian State, have made the decision to move up to the FBS/DI-A level, despite the fact they are or will not be as competitive at that higher level than they were at the FCS/DI-AA level. They ultimately decided the higher TV/internet streaming exposure received from playing at the FBS/DI-A level more than offset the higher costs associated with playing at the level, or the opportunity to play for national championships at the FCS/DI-AA level.

Various current or former DI-AA programs - more programs in fact - have shown they value greater TV/internet streaming game exposure more than they value playing for the FCS/DI-AA national championship. That is the fundamental issue at work here.

-All MVFC games are on ESPN3
-Most broadcasts of the "Western" schools for the Valley are on par if not better than ESPN

I could continue to go on but your argument(s) are seriously flawed. The MVFC is equal to the MWC Mountain and better than the: 1A Independents, MAC East, C-USA East, MWC West, C-USA West, and SlumBelt. Give me 1 reason why NDSU, or for the matter, Valley teams would want to leave that? Go on, I'll wait. The SDSU-NDSU playoff game had just about 2 million viewers for a game that was not over-the-air NOR advertised and yet, people still watched it due to the intensity of the rivalry. Your reasons are just bad, but I am glad you took your football and left.

I give you this charge; just admit that the MEAC-SWAC left due to the fact that they could not compete against the best of the FCS so they "created" the Celebration Bowl, and most of us on here will drop the issue. The main reason we rag on these conferences is that teams like NCAT want that T10 ranking, but don't want to play against the best and prove that they are.

WestCoastAggie
November 12th, 2017, 10:04 AM
-All MVFC games are on ESPN3
-Most broadcasts of the "Western" schools for the Valley are on par if not better than ESPN

I could continue to go on but your argument(s) are seriously flawed. The MVFC is equal to the MWC Mountain and better than the: 1A Independents, MAC East, C-USA East, MWC West, C-USA West, and SlumBelt. Give me 1 reason why NDSU, or for the matter, Valley teams would want to leave that? Go on, I'll wait. The SDSU-NDSU playoff game had just about 2 million viewers for a game that was not over-the-air NOR advertised and yet, people still watched it due to the intensity of the rivalry. Your reasons are just bad, but I am glad you took your football and left.

I give you this charge; just admit that the MEAC-SWAC left due to the fact that they could not compete against the best of the FCS so they "created" the Celebration Bowl, and most of us on here will drop the issue. The main reason we rag on these conferences is that teams like NCAT want that T10 ranking, but don't want to play against the best and prove that they are.

1. A&T doesn't want anything other to win every game on its schedule. We don't have our coaching staff publicly begging for any ranking. The voters in all of the polls feel our team is justified for their rankings.

2. The FCS National Championship had less than 2 million viewers last January. The article in my OP says as such.

3. The conferences you say the MVFC are better than have greater access to Power 5 guarantee games and make more money from their TV deals than the MVFC. These schools have football games that air during the week on ESPN and ESPN2.

4. The conferences never left the playoffs. We gave our AQ back because ESPN wanted to give each conference $1 Million for a bowl game. Our playoff record was not the reasons why the school Chancellors and Presidents agreed to the deal. However, the current financial structure of FCS and its playoff did contribute. MEAC & SWAC teams outside of the game will still accept playoff invites, sans Ala. State, Grambling & Southern who play classics Thanksgiving Weekend.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 10:34 AM
It's reasons like this as to why the SWAC/MEAC/Ivy will continue to get a bad rap. They are too afraid to continually lose in the 1st round to a mediocre FCS team, so they took their football and left. Good for them, but we all know why they really did it.

FYP

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 10:40 AM
1. A&T doesn't want anything other to win every game on its weak and mediocre schedule. We don't have our coaching staff publicly begging for any ranking because we don't deserve one. The voters in all of the polls feel our team is justified for being omitted from their rankings.

2. The FCS National Championship had less than 2 million viewers last January. The article in my OP says as such.

3. The conferences you say the MVFC are better than have greater access to Power 5 guarantee games and make more money from their TV deals than the MVFC. These schools have football games that air during the week on ESPN and ESPN2.

4. The conferences never left the playoffs because we sucked so bad we rarely made it into the playoffs. We gave our AQ back because we kept getting embarrassed and it was obvious our brand of football sucked. Our lack of a playoff record was not the reasons why the school Chancellors and Presidents agreed to the deal. However, the current financial structure of FCS and its playoff did contribute. MEAC & SWAC teams outside of the game will still accept playoff invites although we would rarely if ever get one, sans Ala. State, Grambling & Southern who play "classics" Thanksgiving Weekend.

FYP

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Like I mentioned earlier in this thread.....good for the SWAC and MEAC if they want to do this.

I love the playoffs and the best is determined on the field over a months span.

Would I go to a "bowl game" if NDSU was in one? Dang right I would but as I said, that will be only if they make the move up.
Yeah, but we are talking about FCS schools not FBS. Of course anyone would go to a bowl game if they were at the FBS level, it is a chance to play one last game and earn some money vs your season being over. But at the FCS level you have a shot at a national championship even if you are not a top 8 team. Total lack of competitive spirit to pass up a chance to be a champion in order to take a safer route. Or quite possibly it is an admission of the fact that the higher ups at the school or possibly even all the way to the football program that the team has no shot at winning any games in the playoffs and they want a guaranteed payday. This SWAC is not like the Ivy, Ivy does not compete in the playoffs because they feel it gets in the way of their studies (so they say).

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 10:57 AM
This SWAC is not like the Ivy, Ivy does not compete in the playoffs because they feel it gets in the way of their studies (so they say).

We know that is BS

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 11:03 AM
Nope. That loss yesterday knocked them out of contention. NCCU basically lost everything on this one play! A shot at the Celebration Bowl, a Conference title, everything!
And a shot at the playoffs.

TheKingpin28
November 12th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Yeah, but we are talking about FCS schools not FBS. Of course anyone would go to a bowl game if they were at the FBS level, it is a chance to play one last game and earn some money vs your season being over. But at the FCS level you have a shot at a national championship even if you are not a top 8 team. Total lack of competitive spirit to pass up a chance to be a champion in order to take a safer route. Or quite possibly it is an admission of the fact that the higher ups at the school or possibly even all the way to the football program that the team has no shot at winning any games in the playoffs and they want a guaranteed payday. This SWAC is not like the Ivy, Ivy does not compete in the playoffs because they feel it gets in the way of their studies (so they say).

Yet they will not pass-up March Madness, Lacrosse, etc...

It makes no sense and it's another excuse that I will not buy.

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 11:19 AM
No one asked you for your opinion either, but yet here you are giving it. And you claim others are insecure yet you post your team accomplishments as a reminder for people not to forget about what your team has done, bringing up minor accomplishment at best that happened nine years ago or longer. What has your team done in the last nine years? Your an idiot for grouping together a handful of people you have messaged with on this site making it seem like the majority of any fan base is insecure, as if you are some medically qualified person to hand out such assessments. Making it seem as if you know these people on a highly personal level. And no one is being pressed (which would mean forced) to give our assessment of the situation, they saw a chance to do it on their own and decided to express their opinion quite freely.

PantherRob82
November 12th, 2017, 11:20 AM
I forgot they lost to NSU

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 11:25 AM
No one asked you for your opinion either, but yet here you are giving it. And you claim others are insecure yet you post your team accomplishments as a reminder for people not to forget about what your team has done, bringing up minor accomplishment at best that happened nine years ago or longer. What has your team done in the last nine years? Your an idiot for grouping together a handful of people you have messaged with on this site making it seem like the majority of any fan base is insecure, as if you are some medically qualified person to hand out such assessments. Making it seem as if you know these people on a highly personal level. And no one is being pressed (which would mean forced) to give our assessment of the situation, they saw a chance to do it on their own and decided to express their opinion quite freely.

Case and point!xcoffeex

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I forgot they lost to NSU

They had quite a few close calls this year and were lucky to come out on the winning side of most of em, but as my grandfather would say; "you can only dodge cars for so long before one of em hits ya."

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 11:37 AM
mods, please change the title to People Are Too Worried About Other People’s ****. :)

What he said!xnodx

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 11:37 AM

Trust me, our entire stadium looked like

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-04/campaign_images/webdr06/7/9/fans-react-with-shock-as-the-undertaker-loses-at--2-8325-1396878340-33_dblbig.jpg

Playing for pride next week.

Bisonoline
November 12th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Case and point!xcoffeex

Thats what you qualify as insecure? ;)

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Thats what you qualify as insecure? ;)

Sure Issa Rae!

WestCoastAggie
November 12th, 2017, 11:42 AM

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2014-04/campaign_images/webdr06/7/9/fans-react-with-shock-as-the-undertaker-loses-at--2-8325-1396878340-33_dblbig.jpg

Aggies were like this, as soon as we got word:
https://i.imgur.com/BAosMRj.gif

Bisonoline
November 12th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Sure Issa Rae! xlolx

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 11:46 AM

Thats BS...There was what, maybe 800 people in the stadium? Maybe a 1000? High Schools have better attendance.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Aggies were like this, as soon as we got word:
https://i.imgur.com/BAosMRj.gif

It was painful. But as I saw BCU celebrate a hard fought win, I was reminded about why college football is so much better than the pros could ever be. I love my 49ers, but it just isn't the same. An optimistic fan base for a former champion was dethroned. After collecting myself, I cheered as loud as I've ever cheered. I get pissed with my team like any other fan, when they make dumb mistakes; when they drop passes, or have turnovers. But yesterday both teams left it all on the field. Much respect.

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 11:48 AM
It was painful. But as I saw BCU celebrate a hard fought win, I was reminded about why college football is so much better than the pros could ever be. I love my 49ers, but it just isn't the same. An optimistic fan base for a former champion was dethroned. After collecting myself, I cheered as loud as I've ever cheered. I get pissed with my team like any other fan, when they make dumb mistakes; when they drop passes, or have turnovers. But yesterday both teams left it all on the field. Much respect.

That had to feel like a kick to the junk though man. I was speechless when I saw it.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Thats BS...There was what, maybe 800 people in the stadium? Maybe a 1000? High Schools have better attendance.

About 5700. The second lowest attended game of the season, but um. . yeah who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 11:52 AM
That had to feel like a kick to the junk though man. I was speechless when I saw it.

Trust me. Before we scored with 16 seconds, I'd just said to myself. . . can it be us this time lord? Can we get the unbelievable break and win? Then we scored. Approximately two minutes later, that elation evaporated into thin, 45 degree air.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 11:54 AM
About 5700. The second lowest attended game of the season, but um. . yeah who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

Bull****....Go look at the hail mary pass video. 800 is generous...1000 if you count both football teams and the bands...

Bisonoline
November 12th, 2017, 11:55 AM

So tell me what happened?

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I have to agree with you looking back on that video, 1000 maybe 1300 would be very generous. Where they come up with 5700, maybe that is the attendance at the school, but not the game. Way more empty seats than filled. But ESPN does list the attendance at 5700+.

WestCoastAggie
November 12th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I have to agree with you looking back on that video, 1000 maybe 1300 would be very generous. Where they come up with 5700, maybe that is the attendance at the school, but not the game. Way more empty seats than filled.

It was the end of the game and people began filing out of their stadium in Durham. Most though NCCU had the game in the bag.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 12:13 PM
It was the end of the game and people began filing out of their stadium in Durham. Most though NCCU had the game in the bag.

Oh yeah, with the game on the line, the "crowd" needed to head out so they could beat all that traffic....yeah that makes sense.

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Oh yeah, with the game on the line, the "crowd" needed to head out so they could beat all that traffic....yeah that makes sense.

About as much sense as trying to tell someone who was at the game how many people were actually there based on a 50 second video clipxcoffeex

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Bull****....Go look at the hail mary pass video. 800 is generous...1000 if you count both football teams and the bands...
'
I was sitting on the 15 yard line of that side of the field; five rows up. There were 5000+ people there. The video doesn't show the press box side of the field.

Go back to whatever you were doing; your made-up beef is with A&T, not NCCU.

- - - Updated - - -

About as much sense as trying to tell someone who was at the game how many people were actually there based on a 50 second video clipxcoffeex

Ya think? xeyebrowx xlolx

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 12:19 PM
I have to agree with you looking back on that video, 1000 maybe 1300 would be very generous. Where they come up with 5700, maybe that is the attendance at the school, but not the game. Way more empty seats than filled. But ESPN does list the attendance at 5700+.

Trust me, I've seen games where we've only had 700 fans (last year's hurricane game against FAMU). This wasn't it.

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 12:21 PM
'
I was sitting on the 15 yard line of that side of the field; five rows up. There were 5000+ people there. The video doesn't show the press box side of the field.

BS, the end of the video pans the entire press box side of the field. Also, the end zone stands were completely bare. You must have not learned how to count.... Nice embellishment, though.

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 12:31 PM
'

Go back to whatever you were doing; your made-up beef is with A&T, not NCCU.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya think? xeyebrowx xlolx
Sure it does, the video pans from the right and to the left.

Let compare, 5700 in that video looks like 1000 or so. So if we use a NDSU game as a comparison and they announced attendance at 18-19K (based on the number of fans that appear to be in the seats) then the actual attendance is probably at 200,000.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 12:33 PM
BS, the end of the video pans the entire press box side of the field. Also, the end zone stands were completely bare. You must have not learned how to count.... Nice embellishment, though.

Whatever you wish to think, you're still wrong. I was there, you weren't. ASU33 sums it up nicely.

ASU33, how is Jenn doing down there? That's my homegirl from way back.

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Whatever you wish to think, you're still wrong. I was there, you weren't. ASU33 sums it up nicely.

You had video evidence right in front of you and you got it wrong by saying they don't show one side of the field, when in fact they did. And you think someone should just take your word for it that 5700 fans were there in a stadium no bigger in appearance than a high school teams bleachers in which the video seems to show at least 2/3 of the seats empty at the most crucial point in the game???

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 12:41 PM

So far so good. We also have Andrea who's a former Eagle down at Bama State too!

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 12:45 PM
You had video evidence right in front of you and you got it wrong by saying they don't show one side of the field, when in fact they did. And you think someone should just take your word for it that 5700 fans were there in a stadium no bigger in appearance than a high school teams bleachers in which the video seems to show at least 2/3 of the seats empty at the most crucial point in the game???

He is right, we weren't there....The video could have been doctored in a vast conspiracy against the MEAC and SWAC...They could have had 4700 fans file out in the 30 seconds between the TD catch and the panning of the press box bleachers (if only American Airlines could board and deplane with this kind of efficiency), or, the fans were apathetic and filed out in the 3rd or 4th quarter early while the game was on the line because 5700 people can create a massive traffic jam trying to get out of that stadium....one of those is probably it.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 12:49 PM

What do you want me to do, point out every nook and cranny where people can be in the stadium and adjoining track? It was the end of the game, it was cold; people leave to do whatever they need to do. At some point in the game there were 5000+ people there.

If you think our stadium looks like a high school stadium, that's fine. We own our stadium, it's cozy and it works for us.

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 12:50 PM
He is right, we weren't there....The video could have been doctored in a vast conspiracy against the MEAC and SWAC...They could have had 4700 fans file out in the 30 seconds between the TD catch and the panning of the press box bleachers (if only American Airlines could board and deplane with this kind of efficiency), or, the fans were apathetic and filed out in the 3rd or 4th quarter early while the game was on the line because 5700 people can create a massive traffic jam trying to get out of that stadium....one of those is probably it.
Isn't that the "We got to git, to da Micky D's befer da trafik jam dun happen an plug up da drive thru" theory.

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Everyone representing a MEAC or SWAC school, who brought up the attendance at the end of the Bethune-Cookman/NC Central game during this thread; please raise your hand or type "I"!

I'll wait.

xeyebrowx

cx500d
November 12th, 2017, 12:52 PM
What do you want me to do, point out every nook and cranny where people can be in the stadium and adjoining track? It was the end of the game, it was cold; people leave to do whatever they need to do. At some point in the game there were 5000+ people there.

If you think our stadium looks like a high school stadium, that's fine. We own our stadium, it's cozy and it works for us.

Don’t tell my you guys have a mammoth piss wall room like Delaware has.... that people would go to at the most crucial time if the game. It makes sense...

TennBison
November 12th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Sure, some people do walk around the stadium, and some people do leave, but not 4000 people out of a max attendance of 5700.

mmiller_34
November 12th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Not all Bison fans act like this; there a bunch that I love talking to

BUT....

I don’t know why It seems that some Bison fans troll other fan bases about attendance almost constantly. To me, the only purpose it seems to serve is to inflate their superiority complex; literally no other reason. Classic Bison fans making stupid **** out of nothing and making every effort to compare others to themselves, and highjacking a thread in the process.

They do stuff like this all over message boards and Twitter then get mad at SDSU fans for being rude to them. If I had a dime for every time a NDSU fan said something stupid and offensive to me in person I could retire.

I’ll post some images of some very bored bison fans trolling on twitter so I’ll reserve this spot for when I can get to a computer and upload my images.

Until then, MEAC and SWAC fans. Just say this and they’ll go away:

“You fill your dome and have a good football team. Well done.”

ASU33
November 12th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Not all Bison fans act like this; there a bunch that I love talking to

BUT....

I don’t know why It seems that Bison fans troll other fan bases about attendance almost constantly. To me, the only purpose it seems to serve is to inflate their superiority complex; literally no other reason. Classic Bison fans making stupid **** out of nothing and making every effort to compare others to themselves, and highjacking a thread in the process.

They do stuff like this all over message boards and Twitter then get mad at SDSU fans for being rude to them. If I had a dime for every time a NDSU fan said something stupid and offensive to me in person I could retire.

I’ll post some images of some very bored bison fans trolling on twitter so I’ll reserve this spot for when I can get to a computer and upload my images.

Until then, MEAC and SWAC fans. Just say this and they’ll go away:

“You fill your dome and have a good football team. Well done.”

Bison fans are cool as hell. I went down for the FCS National Title two years ago and had fun with quite a few Bison fans. Last year at The Celebration Bowl I met some Bison fans who lived up in Fort Oglethorpe near the Tennessee State line and they were great. They sat in our section and we had great convo during the entire game last year.

mmiller_34
November 12th, 2017, 01:19 PM
Bison fans are cool as hell. I went down for the FCS National Title two years ago and had fun with quite a few Bison fans. Last year at The Celebration Bowl I met some Bison fans who lived up in Fort Oglethorpe near the Tennessee State line and they were great. They sat in our section and we had great convo during the entire game last year.

Yes. A good majority of them are.

Then there are the others. Every fanbase has them.

Professor Chaos
November 12th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Yes. A good majority of them are.

Then there are the others. Every fanbase has them.
We have more "others" than most though. xlolx

Panther88
November 13th, 2017, 11:44 AM
We have more "others" than most though. xlolx

Yes you do. :D Kinda' sorta' reminds one of quite a few buckeye alums I've had the misfortune of coming in contact w/ because I don't possess the spirit of hatred for *ichigan. LOL'ing @ the ugly trolls exercising their mighty skill set in SWAC/MEAC business when they do not belong there.

Personally, I'm looking forward to D-I FCS football Thanksgiving weekend in htown. You?

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Yes you do. :D LOL'ing @ the ugly trolls exercising their mighty skill set in SWAC/MEAC business when they do not belong there.

Personally, I'm looking forward to some football Thanksgiving weekend. You?
Me too... 1st round of the FCS playoffs! For my team I'm looking forward to them getting a much needed bye on Thanksgiving weekend.

ASU33
November 13th, 2017, 01:02 PM
Yes you do. :D Kinda' sorta' reminds one of quite a few buckeye alums I've had the misfortune of coming in contact w/ because I don't possess the spirit of hatred for *ichigan. LOL'ing @ the ugly trolls exercising their mighty skill set in SWAC/MEAC business when they do not belong there.

Personally, I'm looking forward to D-I FCS football Thanksgiving weekend in htown. You?

The Texas Southern game was pushed back to Thanksgiving weekend?

Professor
November 13th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Boy this thread..................

Anthony215
November 13th, 2017, 01:45 PM
What's not to love about a 3 day trip to Atlanta to play for the first bowl championship of the college football season while also playing for what is essentially the Black College Football Championship. Money wise this game does great and viewers are tuning in at a great rate. If AT&T handles business and wins Saturday against NCCU their following to Atlanta should be pretty good and those not in attendance will definitely tune in at a great rate. I know quite a few AT&T alumni hoping they get their invite to Atlanta so they can be there live in person as they take on the SWAC representative which I believe will be Grambling State. We all know GSU Tigers come out in big numbers when they play in Atlanta or New Orleans so this game should have around 40-50k fans attending the game.

ASU33
November 13th, 2017, 02:33 PM
What's not to love about a 3 day trip to Atlanta to play for the first bowl championship of the college football season while also playing for what is essentially the Black College Football Championship. Money wise this game does great and viewers are tuning in at a great rate. If AT&T handles business and wins Saturday against NCCU their following to Atlanta should be pretty good and those not in attendance will definitely tune in at a great rate. I know quite a few AT&T alumni hoping they get their invite to Atlanta so they can be there live in person as they take on the SWAC representative which I believe will be Grambling State. We all know GSU Tigers come out in big numbers when they play in Atlanta or New Orleans so this game should have around 40-50k fans attending the game.

NC A&T has already clinched a spot. Grambling hasn't even won the division yet so lets not start counting the chickens before they hatch

Panther88
November 13th, 2017, 03:03 PM
The Texas Southern game was pushed back to Thanksgiving weekend?

Yes sir due to hurricane Harvey flooding downtown Houston and flooding in and around the TxSU area. It's both of our last games for the year, thankfully.

Panther88
November 13th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Boy this thread..................

Something else isn't it?

Serpentor
November 13th, 2017, 03:13 PM

Well, you ARE wrong for not hating TTUN with all your heart, because screw the skunk weasels...

Professor
November 13th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Something else isn't it?

Something else is an understatement. I can't wait to watch the discussion when we win the Celebration Bowl and hopefully we do it undefeated. Can u imagine if we end the season at number 5 or higher

Panther88
November 13th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Something else is an understatement. I can't wait to watch the discussion when we win the Celebration Bowl and hopefully we do it undefeated. Can u imagine if we end the season at number 5 or higher

They'll say that A&T didn't belong in the playoff tourney and that the potential #5 or greater should've been reserved for a 5 loss FCS playoff participant that is substantially better than A&T (in their mind); also, due to historical losses from 15 years ago, the MEAC champ is unworthy, this year, to be ranked in the fcs top-30. :D This is their mindset while A&T goes to the bank to cash their checks, your supporters enjoy the ATL and its numerous festivities about that state of the art stadium showcased before a national audience and stadium audience of > 30K+, AND while their school continues to fork over $$$$$ to ncaa dudes to help fund... the others. :D The talk laced w/ venom doesn't matter, imho. It's their right to have their thwarted opinion of whatever. They don't support it so whoopedy doooo for them.

2 words about them though: senseless & vile.

Panther88
November 13th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Well, you ARE wrong for not hating TTUN with all your heart, because screw the skunk weasels...

Birdie sez that sammy wants to buy PVAMU out of its game fall 2018 @ your place. Truth? We were looking forward to showing sammy how we support PVAMU locally by bringing upwards of 4K+ fans and our soon to announced 900 piece band to bowers. :(

WestCoastAggie
November 13th, 2017, 07:39 PM

AT&T???

http://rs509.pbsrc.com/albums/s332/oceancurrents/__009facepalm.gif?w=280&h=210&fit=crop

CID1990
November 13th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Personally I'd like to see A&T go to the playoffs. I think they have a legitimate shot at a deep run. Plus they are sort of a hometown team for me. It was bittersweet when they played us in the first round in 1992. Lots of kids from my high school go there.

DeltaDevil662
November 15th, 2017, 07:59 AM

I'm gonna pull for the SWAC first but if A&T were to finish the season undefeated and in the top 5 that would completely wreck their mindset/thought train that a HBCU can't play competitive high level FCS football capable of beating FBS schools. Then again, they will probably use some obtuse metrics that says that a 6-5 MVC team is better than A&T even with a FBS win. And even if you wanna slight the Charlotte win, they beat Kent State last year as well. MEAC has been pulling off wins over FBS schools for at least four years now so the "competitive" angle should have ceased last year

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 08:28 AM
I'm gonna pull for the SWAC first but if A&T were to finish the season undefeated and in the top 5 that would completely wreck their mindset/thought train that a HBCU can't play competitive high level FCS football capable of beating FBS schools. Then again, they will probably use some obtuse metrics that says that a 6-5 MVC team is better than A&T even with a FBS win. And even if you wanna slight the Charlotte win, they beat Kent State last year as well. MEAC has been pulling off wins over FBS schools for at least four years now so the "competitive" angle should have ceased last year
No it wouldn't. If the HBCUs wanted to prove they're capable of playing competitive high level FCS football inflating their records for a high poll ranking isn't the way to prove it. They had/have the opportunity to prove it but chose not to by not allowing their champions to compete in the playoffs. That A&T team that beat Kent St got their chance last year and was rolled in the playoffs by an unseeded Richmond team that was dealing with injuries just as significant, if not moreso, than A&T was.

Disclaimer: I fully understand the financial reasons why the Celebration Bowl makes sense for the MEAC and SWAC and don't blame them one bit for it but that decision clearly wasn't made to prove they could compete at the top of the FCS.

Panther88
November 15th, 2017, 08:38 AM
No it wouldn't. If the HBCUs wanted to prove they're capable of playing competitive high level FCS football inflating their records for a high poll ranking isn't the way to prove it. They had/have the opportunity to prove it but chose not to by not allowing their champions to compete in the playoffs. That A&T team that beat Kent St got their chance last year and was rolled in the playoffs by an unseeded Richmond team that was dealing with injuries just as significant, if not moreso, than A&T was.

Disclaimer: I fully understand the financial reasons why the Celebration Bowl makes sense for the MEAC and SWAC and don't blame them one bit for it but that decision clearly wasn't made to prove they could compete at the top of the FCS.

lol Exhibit FF xlolx .

Perhaps A&T et al will put the alleged fcs elite on their schedules soonest, if it makes financial sense.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 08:54 AM
lol Exhibit FF xlolx .

Perhaps A&T et al will put the alleged fcs elite on their schedules soonest, if it makes financial sense.
Go ahead and tell me what I wrote was wrong.

The Celebration Bowl decision was made for financial reasons and the MEAC and SWAC have seen financial (and social) benefits. Good for them. I don't blame programs/conferences for doing what's best for themselves financially but don't make it into something it's not. They forfeited the opportunity to prove themselves at the highest competitive stage available to them. Good choice financially, bad choice competitively.

Southern Bison
November 15th, 2017, 09:10 AM
lol Exhibit FF xlolx .

Perhaps A&T et al will put the alleged fcs elite on their schedules soonest, if it makes financial sense.I'd love to see a H&H between the Bison and A&T. I'll be in Greensboro for damn sure!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2017, 09:13 AM
I'd love to see a H&H between the Bison and A&T. I'll be in Greensboro for damn sure!

Shoot, me too! It would be an extra motivating factor going into spring practice and a recruiting tool.

Panther88
November 15th, 2017, 09:40 AM
Go ahead and tell me what I wrote was wrong.

The Celebration Bowl decision was made for financial reasons and the MEAC and SWAC have seen financial (and social) benefits. Good for them. I don't blame programs/conferences for doing what's best for themselves financially but don't make it into something it's not. They forfeited the opportunity to prove themselves at the highest competitive stage available to them. Good choice financially, bad choice competitively.

Tell your folks to get in touch w/ their folks and settle it then.

The MEAC and SWAC are doing what it is in their best interests to serve their fans/supporters/student-athletes. That's all that needs to be said on that front. Others are doing what they do... thanksgiving holiday weekend.... in the brilliant cold.... on a saturday.... in front of 417 people. Godspeed to ya'.

Panther88
November 15th, 2017, 09:43 AM
I'd love to see a H&H between the Bison and A&T. I'll be in Greensboro for damn sure!

Kickstart that process so all this other superfluous "what if" rhetoric can finally be Stephen Paddock'd. I'm not an A&T'er but I'm interested to see how coach Broadway and staff would address a historical fcs/fbsG5 ndsu.

Professor
November 15th, 2017, 09:52 AM

All you have to do is call or email our AD

Earl Hilton III, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, (336) 285-3600, [email protected]

Southern Bison
November 15th, 2017, 09:56 AM
All you have to do is call or email our AD

Earl Hilton III, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, (336) 285-3600, [email protected] Unfortunately, I think NDSU is booked through '19. In 2020, we go to Oregon, 2022 to Arizona, & 2024 to Colorado.

Panther88
November 15th, 2017, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately, I think NDSU is booked through '19. In 2020, we go to Oregon, 2022 to Arizona, & 2024 to Colorado.

I sincerely hope that game is televised. THAT will be a great victory by ndsu.

Professor
November 15th, 2017, 10:14 AM

What is the point of proving to FCS that you can compete on a high level? No one is looking for legitimacy. Well A&T isn't anyway. We play who makes sense for us, our fan base and pockets. This is a business at the end of the day

I don't agree our injuries were the same but ehh , that's another debate. I guess #7 North Dakota was overrated too since they lost to the same Richmond team with injuries at home no less?

Professor
November 15th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately, I think NDSU is booked through '19. In 2020, we go to Oregon, 2022 to Arizona, & 2024 to Colorado.

And here come the excuses. A&T is booked as well. Now you get at least 3 Out of Conference games. You have only listed 1.

18 ECU , Gardner Webb (H)
19 Duke , Elon i believe (H)
21 Duke

POD Knows
November 15th, 2017, 10:18 AM
What is the point of proving to FCS that you can compete on a high level? No one is looking for legitimacy. Well A&T isn't anyway. We play who makes sense for us, our fan base and pockets. This is a business at the end of the day

I don't agree our injuries were the same but ehh , that's another debate. I guess #7 North Dakota was overrated too since they lost to the same Richmond team with injuries at home no less?

Yes, they were big time overrated. Your stock just went up in my book. I wish I could rep you 10 times for this one.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2017, 10:25 AM

If that's how you feel that's fine. I was responding to the MVSU guy that was saying that if NC A&T beats NC Central and their Celebration Bowl opponent and finish in the top 5 in the polls that would prove that they could compete with the elite in the FCS. So yes, there was someone looking for legitimacy.

And yes, UND was overrated last year but they also lost on a last second FG and actually had a 17 point lead late in the 3rd quarter.

Southern Bison
November 15th, 2017, 11:56 AM
And here come the excuses. A&T is booked as well. Now you get at least 3 Out of Conference games. You have only listed 1.

18 ECU , Gardner Webb (H)
19 Duke , Elon i believe (H)
21 DukeGee Prof...That was just off the top of my head with the FBS games. I didn't have time to elaborate until now. Also, NDSU always has 2 home OOC games so that means A&T could come to Fargo in '20, '22, or '24 while the Bison come to NC in '21 or '23.

Excuses? ****, the Bison have shown they'll play anyone anywhere...and win.

POD Knows
November 15th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Gee Prof...That was just off the top of my head with the FBS games. I didn't have time to elaborate until now. Also, NDSU always has 2 home OOC games so that means A&T could come to Fargo in '20, '22, or '24 while the Bison come to NC in '21 or '23.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TapatalkNDSU doesn't have to apologize to anybody about where and when they will play OOC games. I have a question and pardon my ignorance, but if we schedule a H and H are both teams required to pony up $$ to the visiting teams, I would assume they are and is NCAT willing to fork out the kind of $$ it would take to get NDSU to travel all the way over there.

Southern Bison
November 15th, 2017, 12:01 PM
NDSU doesn't have to apologize to anybody about where and when they will play OOC games. I have a question and pardon my ignorance, but if we schedule a H and H are both teams required to pony up $$ to the visiting teams, I would assume they are and is NCAT willing to fork out the kind of $$ it would take to get NDSU to travel all the way over there.Maybe we'll get a little of the "Jay Walker's National Championship Bowl" money they have left over.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Did someone say pay NDSU for an H & H?

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 12:54 PM
These circular arguments are just stupid.

If someone says NCAT will have proven that they are among the FCS elite, that is unproven.

If if someone says NCAT is a great team competing in a great event for their fan base, I doubt anyone will argue.

Everyone needs to to learn to separate these two conversations.

ASU33
November 15th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Maybe we'll get a little of the "Jay Walker's National Championship Bowl" money they have left over.

How did Jay Walker get in this? This thread has taken some confusing turns.

Professor
November 15th, 2017, 01:30 PM
NDSU doesn't have to apologize to anybody about where and when they will play OOC games. I have a question and pardon my ignorance, but if we schedule a H and H are both teams required to pony up $$ to the visiting teams, I would assume they are and is NCAT willing to fork out the kind of $$ it would take to get NDSU to travel all the way over there.

The point of a Home and Home is for a team to pay it's own expenses and make up that money from it's home game

Professor
November 15th, 2017, 01:33 PM
Gee Prof...That was just off the top of my head with the FBS games. I didn't have time to elaborate until now. Also, NDSU always has 2 home OOC games so that means A&T could come to Fargo in '20, '22, or '24 while the Bison come to NC in '21 or '23.

Cool with me. Make the call. Would be better than you shipping Mississippi Valley up to Fargo and cutting a check

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2017, 01:36 PM
These circular arguments are just stupid.

If someone says NCAT will have proven that they are among the FCS elite, that is unproven.

If if someone says NCAT is a great team competing in a great event for their fan base, I doubt anyone will argue.

Everyone needs to to learn to separate these two conversations.

Tell this to the Stats Poll and Coaches Poll voters. They are the ones that feel A&T is an elite FCS team.

PantherRob82
November 15th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Tell this to the Stats Poll and Coaches Poll voters. They are the ones that feel A&T is an elite FCS team.

I didn’t say they can’t feel that way. I’m just saying we’ll never really know. A poster in this thread said that if the Aggies be Grambling and finish undefeated in the top five that it proves they are elite. Obviously they could be, but they walked away from their chance to prove it, and we all understand why.

All this round and round in circles is stupid and most of the time the posters are arguing different points.

Southern Bison
November 15th, 2017, 01:50 PM
How did Jay Walker get in this? This thread has taken some confusing turns.He's touted the Celebration Bowl as the "National Championship" numerous times while calling the game.

WestCoastAggie
November 15th, 2017, 01:52 PM
I didn’t say they can’t feel that way. I’m just saying we’ll never really know. A poster in this thread said that if the Aggies be Grambling and finish undefeated in the top five that it proves they are elite. Obviously they could be, but they walked away from their chance to prove it, and we all understand why.

All this round and round in circles is stupid and most of the time the posters are arguing different points.

The way for us to "prove it" will be early in the season, during our OOC slate, unless something changes.