PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-6

JALMOND
November 6th, 2017, 10:01 PM
After all the playing and grinding, sweating and working, just two weeks are left for most members of the Big Sky (North Dakota is done with their season after this week, and Idaho State draws the short straw this week). Things have to be getting clearer now, right? Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. Have at it.

1. Southern Utah (2)---Last week beat North Dakota at home 47-21, this week at UC-Davis---A different horse to beat this week. The Thunderbirds took care of business at home and now must go on the road to face a strong upstart in the conference. Easy? Hardly.

2. Weber State (3)---Last week won at Eastern Washington 28-20, this week at Portland State---The Wildcats got yet another impressive conference road win last week and must go back on the road this weekend to face perhaps a lesser opponent. Still can't take anything for granted.

3. Northern Arizona (1)---Last week lost at Montana 17-15, this week Montana State at home---The Lumberjacks were flying right along as the top dog, but many have met their demise on the turf at Missoula. They come home, hoping to avert their usual swoon.

4. Montana (5)---Last week beat Northern Arizona at home 17-15, this week Northern Colorado at home---The Grizzlies finally came through with an impressive win over a conference heavyweight. However, between this game and the annual Brawl, they have a potential trap game awaiting.

5. Eastern Washington (4)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 28-20, this week at North Dakota---Remember when the Eagles were soaring and everything looked rosy. They could get knocked out of the playoff picture if they stub their toe against two lesser opponents coming up.

6. Sacramento State (7)---Last week beat Northern Colorado at home 50-21, this week at Cal Poly---Shakily, but resilient, the Hornets are still in the playoff picture. It took some heroics to break open a close game but the win is good. They can't overlook this week however.

7. UC-Davis (10)---Last week won at Idaho State 56-17, this week Southern Utah at home---Inconsistency is what has been the theme for the Aggies, but a strong road win may be enough to propel them to a possible big home win against one of the heavyweights.

8. Montana State (6)---Last week lost to Kennesaw State (Big South) 16-14, this week at Northern Arizona---Losing to a warm weather team in the snow and cold does not bode well for the Bobcats' chances at making the playoffs. Neither does facing an angry team this weekend.

9. Idaho State (8)---Last week lost to UC-Davis at home 56-17, this week bye---A strong and powerful season for the perennial conference doormat took a big hit with an ugly conference home loss. The Bengals will have two weeks to try to recover.

10. North Dakota (9)---Last week lost at Southern Utah 47-21, this week Eastern Washington at home---The nightmare is almost over for the Hawks. What was supposed to be a fine season has disappeared, yet they still have a chance to go out winners this weekend.

11. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week lost at Sacramento State 50-21, this week at Montana---Again, so close but can't close it out for the Bears as they got tripped up yet again. Things don't look much better as they face a team bent on revenge from last year.

12. Cal Poly (12)---Last week beat Portland State at home 35-28, this week Sacramento State at home---Finally, the Mustangs broke through in the win column, even if it was at the expense of the other winless team. Wins are good and has them feeling positive about this week.

13. Portland State (13)---Last week lost at Cal Poly 35-28, this week Weber State at home---The Vikings best chance at a win and they could not close the door on it. Can they get a win before the end of the season? Maybe, but highly doubtful.

RECAP: 1-3 out front, 4 catching up, 5-8 edging forward, 9-11 fading, 12 recovering, 13 falling

uofmman1122
November 6th, 2017, 10:03 PM
You're just trying to make us mad, aren't you. lol

JALMOND
November 6th, 2017, 10:16 PM
You're just trying to make us mad, aren't you. lol

Maybe.xlolx

Seriously, NAU 7-1 in the conference, UM 6-2. NAU's only conference loss to a very tough team in a very tough place to play. It wasn't like the game was a blowout. Put both on a neutral field, I'll take NAU (for now, possibly subject to change later).

uofmman1122
November 6th, 2017, 10:20 PM
I mean, sure, but any team even with their backup QB should be able to beat another team playing a converted TE/H WR as their QB. We looked better than them in all phases, all day.

JALMOND
November 6th, 2017, 10:45 PM
Initially, I had UM ahead of NAU. Then, based on the conference records and that NAU only lost at Missoula by 2 points (and did have a chance to tie it late), I switched them. Things still can wash out in the end. UM can get two wins heading in to the playoffs, and NAU still has to play SUU. UM and NAU finish with identical conference marks, I'd have to put UM ahead of NAU.

mvemjsunpx
November 7th, 2017, 03:08 AM
Maybe.xlolx

Seriously, NAU 7-1 in the conference, UM 6-2. NAU's only conference loss to a very tough team in a very tough place to play. It wasn't like the game was a blowout. Put both on a neutral field, I'll take NAU (for now, possibly subject to change later).

The conference season is already over? xconfusedx

jadmt
November 7th, 2017, 07:32 AM
switch 3 and 4 around.

kalm
November 7th, 2017, 08:11 AM
switch 3 and 4 around.

Then switch 5 and 3 around?

JALMOND
November 7th, 2017, 09:04 AM
The conference season is already over? xconfusedx

xlolx

As a Portland State fan, I wish it was. I meant, 5-1 vs 4-2. xembarrassedx

geaux_sioux
November 7th, 2017, 09:26 AM
I have no idea how SUU has won so many games this year. Their defense is almost as bad as ours. They were absolutely shredding us on Saturday and we were right with them for a while which blew my mind. If they’re the top team this conference is terrible this year.

kalm
November 7th, 2017, 10:51 AM
I have no idea how SUU has won so many games this year. Their defense is almost as bad as ours. They were absolutely shredding us on Saturday and we were right with them for a while which blew my mind. If they’re the top team this conference is terrible this year.

They held UNI to -14 rushing and less total yards than the Bizon.

geaux_sioux
November 7th, 2017, 11:11 AM
Even with that, they give up over 150/game on the ground. Allowing 28.8 pts/gm and owning the top record in the conference is crazy. We had guys wide open all game. If we weren't so busy stepping on our own dicks that game would have been interesting late.

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2017, 11:33 AM

Their defense is not good. UNI's offense was putrid until just lately when they got to play MVFC teams.

kalm
November 7th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Their defense is not good. UNI's offense was putrid until just lately when they got to play MVFC teams.

It's not a lock down defense but it held you guys scoreless for the last 28 1/2 minutes and also kept a decent EWU offense in check.

F'N Hawks
November 7th, 2017, 11:39 AM
It's not a lock down defense but it held you guys scoreless for the last 28 1/2 minutes and also kept a decent EWU offense in check.

You are using UND as a benchmark? UND had 445 yards of offense with 2 freshman, 2 sophomores and 1 senior (who is terrible) starting on the offensive line. Four first-year starters. If you had watched the game you would know where I am coming from.

SUU will get destroyed in the playoffs by a good team, just like Sac State did to them.

kalm
November 7th, 2017, 12:14 PM
You are using UND as a benchmark? UND had 445 yards of offense with 2 freshman, 2 sophomores and 1 senior (who is terrible) starting on the offensive line. Four first-year starters. If you had watched the game you would know where I am coming from.

SUU will get destroyed in the playoffs by a good team, just like Sac State did to them.

That's possible but they've already beat two playoff teams in UNI and Weber. UNI just went 3-1 vs 4 straight top 10 opponents. Hyperbole noted.

geaux_sioux
November 7th, 2017, 12:56 PM
It’s like saying UND has a really good defense because we held Missouri St to fewer points, 0, than NDSU, an SEC team, and anyone else they’ve played.

- - - Updated - - -

That's possible but they've already beat two playoff teams in UNI and Weber. UNI just went 3-1 vs 4 straight top 10 opponents. Hyperbole noted.

That’s what I’m saying, it doesn’t make sense that they’re winning all these games. Their point differential is very tight.