View Full Version : 2017-11/11 AGS GOTW Week 11

ursus arctos horribilis
November 6th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Charleston Southern Buccaneers - Kennesaw State Owls

Elon Phoenix - New Hampshire Wildcats

Illinois State Redbirds - South Dakota State Jackrabbits

North Dakota State Bison - South Dakota Coyotes

Furman Paladins - The Citadel Bulldogs

The games aren't as steller as usual but almost all teams here have a playoff interest to attend to.

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2017, 03:58 PM
I voted Elon and New Hampshire. All games this week are important with playoff consequences but Elon/New Hampshire is the one that could eliminate a team from the playoffs (New Hampshire).

Furman and Citadel is a rivalry game and that's nice, but the Citadel won't make the playoffs (and if Furman loses, neither will they)

The loser of Kennesaw and Chuck South probably won't make the playoffs, but there's no guarantee the winner will either

For the MVFC games, the loser won't be eliminated this week.

Mayville Bison
November 6th, 2017, 04:03 PM
I went Elon/UNH. A loss for Elon drops them from a seed while a loss for UNH could drop them from the playoffs.

All five games should tell us something definitive about one if not both teams, though, so all good games!

TheKingpin28
November 6th, 2017, 04:12 PM
ISUr vs SDSU

If ISUr loses, they might be out, but if SDSU loses, it will greatly affect the NDSU loss that much more. I sense a trap game coming.

flyrod
November 6th, 2017, 04:16 PM
i voted for elon/UNH cause in essence this is a playoff game for UNH...if they lose they wont make the playoffs.....and whats the playoffs without UNH lurking every year...lol

Reign of Terrier
November 6th, 2017, 04:19 PM
I just looked it up...UNH has made the playoffs every season since 2004 (that's 13 years). Even more reason to vote for this one because there's a lot riding on it. Will Elon keep pace with JMU for the CAA title or will New Hampshire keep their ungodly playoff streak alive?

TheValleyRaider
November 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM
I voted Elon and New Hampshire. All games this week are important with playoff consequences but Elon/New Hampshire is the one that could eliminate a team from the playoffs (New Hampshire).

Furman and Citadel is a rivalry game and that's nice, but the Citadel won't make the playoffs (and if Furman loses, neither will they)

The loser of Kennesaw and Chuck South probably won't make the playoffs, but there's no guarantee the winner will either

For the MVFC games, the loser won't be eliminated this week.

This seems right to me, though that NDSU-USD matchup should be quite a game.

Catbooster
November 6th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Bump

wcugrad95
November 6th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I voted Elon/UNH for all the reasons already stated. I know it won't win because everybody will jump on the next big game in the MVFC, but in terms of meaning to the season Elon's possible seed versus UNH's continued string of playoff appearances seems like it is more important than the outcome of 2 teams who are going to make the playoffs regardless.

katss07
November 6th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Really looking forward to Elon vs UNH. Should be a good one.

MTfan4life
November 6th, 2017, 06:42 PM

With all the history of the committee stretching to get New Hampshire in the playoffs, there's no way just one loss will eliminate them from contention. I mean just last season, they lost their 10th game to fall to 6-4 and they still got in the playoffs over the team that beat them in that game. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but until it actually happens, you can't say UNH is eliminated from the playoffs, especially in a season where they could still get to 7 wins.

KPSUL
November 7th, 2017, 08:54 PM
With all the history of the committee stretching to get New Hampshire in the playoffs, there's no way just one loss will eliminate them from contention. I mean just last season, they lost their 10th game to fall to 6-4 and they still got in the playoffs over the team that beat them in that game. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but until it actually happens, you can't say UNH is eliminated from the playoffs, especially in a season where they could still get to 7 wins.

Not the 2016 UNH / Albany false controversy again! You neglected to finish the story - 6-4 UNH beat 6-4 Maine on the final Saturday of the FCS season, finishing 7-4. Albany also finished 7-4; however, UNH finished tied for 2nd in the CAA with a 6-2 conference record, Albany finished tied for 6th at 4-4. The significantly better conference performance was why the selection committee selected UNH; but it never came down to UNH vs Albany, because UNH was NOT one of the last two teams selected in 2016. Selection of at-large teams is not made by conference quotas - if the committee had determined Albany should have made the playoffs, it would have been in place of a team other than UNH.

There were four 7 win teams and one 6 win team in the 2016 playoffs. Only one of those 5 teams clearly validated their selection by winning a 1st round game - that's right, it was UNH.

Gangtackle11
November 7th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Are u kidding me? Villanova - Rhody is clearly the GOTW.

Wake up people! xpeacex

Reign of Terrier
November 7th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I feel like if you put North Dakota State as one of the potential GOTW it'll always be top two by virtue of the number of NDSU people on here

ST_Lawson
November 7th, 2017, 09:24 PM
I feel like if you put North Dakota State as one of the potential GOTW it'll always be top two by virtue of the number of NDSU people on here

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/533/710/7ac.jpg

katss07
November 7th, 2017, 10:20 PM
IMO, the CCSU vs Duquesne is the GOTW. Winners get the autobid, loser goes home. Hoping the Devils pull this one out.

I think it is the game of the week because it is basically a play-in game.

dewey
November 8th, 2017, 06:01 AM
I voted for South Dakota at North Dakota State because it is a matchup of 2 top 10 teams, this game has significant seeding implications for both teams, is potentially for the MVFC conference championship and is the final regular season home game at the Fabulous Fargodome.

Go Bison!

Dewey

BlueHenFromWA
November 8th, 2017, 06:26 AM
You gotta vote for the best/most interesting game of the week. I believe that game is NDSU-USD. Both teams are coming off of losses. Which team will bounce back and likely seal their spot in the top 10?

Should be a great game!

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2017, 07:12 AM

This absurd narrative continues at play -- and IMO, likely has a play in the voting in the AGS poll, too. Somehow this false narrative that UNH has been gifted playoff berths continues to exist, so I'm just going to walk through each scenario. What's comical is that I went back to 2016 to look at what I said about the selection process, and I was replying to ... you guessed it, you.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189185-Selection-Sunday-2016&p=2418272#post2418272

You completely ignore twice that UNH did not have the worst resume in the field and that UNH was not the last team in, per the committee, but for some reason, you ignore those facts to insist that UNH has some kind of committee edge. Albany should've been in the field last year, said it then, said it now. But you're ignoring the fact that the team that got in over them was Samford, who lost 3 of their lost 4 including an end of season loss to 5-6 ETSU and still got in.

I'll quote myself from last year on the Towson/UNH thing in 2012: (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?188757-Maine-UNH-Border-War-Game&p=2415039#post2415039):

To be CLEAR, they DID NOT have the same record. Anyone jumps to collusion in 2012 and ignores the fact that UNH was 8-3, while Towson was 7-4. Towson SHOULD have gotten in the playoffs, but not over UNH -- UNH was the third last team in by overall resume.

And again, talk of collusion is nonsense. It probably helps that Scarano is on the committee, but don't be overly cynical. There are LEGITIMATE reasons from a committee perspective (i probably don't share those reasons) why they would choose UNH over Albany (fewer FCS losses, better conference record, better record down the stretch) and reasons why they wouldn't (Albany has better wins and losses, H2H win). I'd emphasize the latter, but the committee may not. Either way, hopefully Stony Brook comes up big.

..and in 2015, because we dealt with the same nonsense (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?178279-2015-Playoffs-What-teams-should-have-made-the-field&p=2291280#post2291280):

UNH should've been in the field; they had a better resume than Towson. Both teams had questionable losses (UNH lost to Delaware and SBU, but the latter they were without their QB; Towson lost to Elon), UNH had the better wins (Colgate, Richmond).

And one more, for 2012. The committee took ZERO three loss teams. Dave Coulson basically claimed that UNH should be out because their defense was bad (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?124677-FCS-Playoffs-Some-Teams-Are-More-Equal-Than-Others&p=1898948#post1898948):

I thought UNH was 50/50 to get in, but it's aggravating that this article fails to consider that the committee simply REFUSED to consider a 4 loss team as an at-large. It's very clear. You cannot hold UNH accountable for the committee refusing to consider it. And again, UR got a bad call on a play that was ruled out of bounds at Richmond's TWENTY FIVE YARD LINE. YES. THEY WERE 75 YARDS from a TD. It's not like it was the last play of the game.

It's a tired narrative. There's no justification for it. It's clear that folks just want to see UNH fail and the streak end, which is human nature. Just wish facts were considered.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2017, 07:35 AM
This absurd narrative continues at play -- and IMO, likely has a play in the voting in the AGS poll, too. Somehow this false narrative that UNH has been gifted playoff berths continues to exist, so I'm just going to walk through each scenario. What's comical is that I went back to 2016 to look at what I said about the selection process, and I was replying to ... you guessed it, you.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189185-Selection-Sunday-2016&p=2418272#post2418272

You completely ignore twice that UNH did not have the worst resume in the field and that UNH was not the last team in, per the committee, but for some reason, you ignore those facts to insist that UNH has some kind of committee edge. Albany should've been in the field last year, said it then, said it now. But you're ignoring the fact that the team that got in over them was Samford, who lost 3 of their lost 4 including an end of season loss to 5-6 ETSU and still got in.

I'll quote myself from last year on the Towson/UNH thing in 2012: (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?188757-Maine-UNH-Border-War-Game&p=2415039#post2415039):

..and in 2015, because we dealt with the same nonsense (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?178279-2015-Playoffs-What-teams-should-have-made-the-field&p=2291280#post2291280):

And one more, for 2012. The committee took ZERO three loss teams. Dave Coulson basically claimed that UNH should be out because their defense was bad (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?124677-FCS-Playoffs-Some-Teams-Are-More-Equal-Than-Others&p=1898948#post1898948):

It's a tired narrative. There's no justification for it. It's clear that folks just want to see UNH fail and the streak end, which is human nature. Just wish facts were considered.
Maybe I'm wrong but the committee usually doesn't say who the last team in was I thought. They list who the last 4 in were in alphabetical order and the sorting them out from there is speculation from people like us. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that's how it was done last year on the selection show at least.

Mayville Bison
November 8th, 2017, 08:23 AM

Well of course it's gonna be top two this week. No one voted for the Big South game, only people to vote for the SoCon game were SoCon people, and if you are gonna pick between the two MVFC games, why wouldn't you pick the one that featured the two top ten teams. Full disclosure, as I posted earlier in the thread, I voted Elon/UNH.

Oh and Bump xthumbsupx

KPSUL
November 8th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but the committee usually doesn't say who the last team in was I thought. They list who the last 4 in were in alphabetical order and the sorting them out from there is speculation from people like us. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that's how it was done last year on the selection show at least.

UNH finds out because we use the most compromising pictures of committee members we possess to not only force them to select us for the playoffs, but also reveal everything about the process.

WrenFGun
November 8th, 2017, 12:42 PM
UNH finds out because we use the most compromising pictures of committee members we possess to not only force them to select us for the playoffs, but also reveal everything about the process.

With a last name like Scarano, mafia connections are obvious.

WestCoastAggie
November 8th, 2017, 12:54 PM
NCCU vs. Bethune-Cookman should've been added to this list.

POD Knows
November 8th, 2017, 02:19 PM
I feel like if you put North Dakota State as one of the potential GOTW it'll always be top two by virtue of the number of NDSU people on hereNope, it is because every ****ing game in the MVFC is a battle, it seems like you are playing ranked teams every week, which we are.

Bison56
November 8th, 2017, 02:22 PM

I believe I have only voted 1 time for an NDSU game.

Reign of Terrier
November 8th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Nope, it is because every ****ing game in the MVFC is a battle, it seems like you are playing ranked teams every week, which we are.

Every game in every conference is a battle. MVFC isn't the only conference with ranked teams.

I believe I have only voted 1 time for an NDSU game.

this is the second thread in an hour you have posted a comment like this

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Every game in every conference is a battle. MVFC isn't the only conference with ranked teams.

Nope, just the most and generally the highest ranked teams matching up. This is the 7th straight week that an MVFC matchup has been the matchup of the two highest ranked teams in the country. That also happens to be the number of weeks since MVFC play began. Although unless UNH beats Elon this week that streak will likely come to an end next week with Elon/JMU.

POD Knows
November 8th, 2017, 04:10 PM

this is the second thread in an hour you have posted a comment like thisI would love to have Wofford scheduled for 8 weeks in row, we would be 8-0 and barely breaking a sweat.

Bison56
November 8th, 2017, 05:03 PM

this is the second thread in an hour you have posted a comment like this

It is?

KPSUL
November 8th, 2017, 05:45 PM
Nope, just the most and generally the highest ranked teams matching up. This is the 7th straight week that an MVFC matchup has been the matchup of the two highest ranked teams in the country. That also happens to be the number of weeks since MVFC play began. Although unless UNH beats Elon this week that streak will likely come to an end next week with Elon/JMU.

If UNH wins Elon will still be 8-2, 6-1 in the conference and still playing for a share of the CAA championship and the autobid. It would be a strong candidate for GOTW.

Professor Chaos
November 8th, 2017, 09:44 PM
If UNH wins Elon will still be 8-2, 6-1 in the conference and still playing for a share of the CAA championship and the autobid. It would be a strong candidate for GOTW.
Yeah, it will be regardless of the UNH/Elon outcome this week. I'm just saying there might be a MVFC matchup with two higher ranked teams then. Perhaps Illinois St/NDSU or USD/SDSU if ISUr or USD can pull the upset this week.