PDA

View Full Version : Chattanooga @ Wofford

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Woffy up 7-6 at the half. Wofford's powerful rushing corps has amassed 32 yards in the half with 4 first downs. The Mocs have some nice drives, but haven't been able to punch it in. Lets see the adjustments. Can the Mocs knock off 2 top 10 teams on the road in back to back weeks?

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Wofford should fire our offensive coordinator. It's really amazing how bad the playcalling takes away from a decent squad.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but penalties have killed the Terriers.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Yeah, but penalties have killed the Terriers.

Common thread of the whole year. It's on the coaches to prepare them. We aren't.

Mocs123
November 4th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I hope we can pull this one off and gain some traction for next year.

7-6 after 3 quarters

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Woffy starting to find their stride....Still will finish the game with less than 200 yards rushing.....

kdinva
November 4th, 2017, 03:28 PM
I hope we can pull this one off and gain some traction for next year.

7-6 after 3 quarters

UTC with the TD and 2 point conv. .... tied at 14, under one minute in reg,.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Dolt....

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 03:30 PM
We aren't good. We'll get bounced in the first round, no matter who we play. Our offense can't get a first down when we need it late in games and it puts our defense in a hole (This week, ETSU, Gardner Webb).

We don't play clutch enough on either side of the ball.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Momentum is on the side of the Mocs....but it is Wofford, and they always find a way. Ayers has that old man grit!!!!!

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Copeland is going to be a good player in this league.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Wofford looked like Wofford on that first OT drive.

dustinthorn93
November 4th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Just wondering since I haven't watched chatty this year, but where is Bennefield. I know he was suspended but since then where is he? Just wondering

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Copeland is going to be a good player in this league.

Kid has some poise for a freshman.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM
he could use some extra arm strength, but he is only 18...that'll come. He makes really good decisions. the ints that he has thrown this year were about half freshman mistakes (just bad reads) and half were just bad bounces. I feel good about the next few years.

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Dang Mocs tie it up in ot.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Then there is that!!!!! The freshman mistake.

Mocs123
November 4th, 2017, 03:46 PM
24-21 Terriers in 2OT

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 03:48 PM
FWIW I should stop going against the YT Quasistatisticall bull**** algorithm.

It picked Wofford to win 26-20. I'd thought we'd overperform it. LOL.

But this Chattanooga team is different from the one a month ago. They will be one to watch in the future

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 04:16 PM

But this Chattanooga team is different from the one a month ago. They will be one to watch in the future

The last three weeks have given us some hope. They are starting to figure things out. I think those fans that actually know a thing or two about the game realized we would be rebuilding....not this bad...but rebuilding. After 5 or 6 games, it looked really bad. REALLY bad. Coach Arth kept plugging and saying this team is improving (I'll admit I didn't see it), but they started to get it during the Citadel game, and I saw some improvement....obviously last week was a big step...this week we actually played better than last week...take away the early fumble, which you really cant fault Stewart, he was just fighting after a big lick that he was surprised he landed on his feet....take away that Turnover and we have a different ball game. I feel good about the next few seasons. The Mocs will be back in the top of the conference standing soon. Basketball seasons is coming up....Women's anyway!!!!!

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 04:33 PM

Yes it is. FWIW Wofford needed the win in a bad way. They’re in line for a possible seed now.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2017, 04:36 PM
YT laying the ground work for some argument that Wofford played a different ETSU team and UTC team than Furman trounced a few weeks ago. xnodx

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 04:40 PM
The last three weeks have given us some hope. They are starting to figure things out. I think those fans that actually know a thing or two about the game realized we would be rebuilding....not this bad...but rebuilding. After 5 or 6 games, it looked really bad. REALLY bad. Coach Arth kept plugging and saying this team is improving (I'll admit I didn't see it), but they started to get it during the Citadel game, and I saw some improvement....obviously last week was a big step...this week we actually played better than last week...take away the early fumble, which you really cant fault Stewart, he was just fighting after a big lick that he was surprised he landed on his feet....take away that Turnover and we have a different ball game. I feel good about the next few seasons. The Mocs will be back in the top of the conference standing soon. Basketball seasons is coming up....Women's anyway!!!!!

The thing that gave me optimism was the way the players continued to show respect for the coaches. I sit right behind the defensive huddle and I could tell when the players were being addressed by the coaches they were listening and being respectful. Their were some growing pains and a learning curve to go along with it.

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 04:49 PM
YT laying the ground work for some argument that Wofford played a different ETSU team and UTC team than Furman trounced a few weeks ago. xnodx

Actually their some credence to that argument. I don’t know about ETSU, but if you can’t tell the difference between the team that played in the last 3 weeks and the one that played Furman your somewhat delusional. We were a total train wreck against Furman. True freshman starting his first game, offensive line awful and defense missing players. Not even a comparison.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Even if I think it's true for UTC I'm punting on this one.

We're not good on offense. We're going to lose our first playoff game.

At this point I just hope we beat VMI and get that Socon title

gofurman
November 4th, 2017, 04:50 PM

I am trying to be nice. I like YT - very objective fan. Super guy... But there is something a little 'off' w Wofford now. I have held off on this ... As FU plays Citadel next week I watched Cit play Woff and Cit play Western. Woff rushing yards vs Citadel? EIGHTY yard, understand I am giving credit to Wofford when I say that is not Woff football. It is not. Western Carolina rushing vs CItadel? TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY yard

Is it the OL? I will give they are getting a little hurt w injuries now. Two Nose guard were out and a star Linebacker (Wilson) that didn't help. Losing defensive guys extends UTCs drives and thus doesn't let Woff O on the field. ALso UTC had Dale Warren - NFL? guy - back now playing LB. And he was causing some havoc. Plus Copeland UTC QB is now in his 5th game. He was in first game vs FU. Still, the lack of rushing (Wofford's Defensive injuries don't affect that too much) has to be concerning for Woff. Citadel and UTC were shutting them down. Good thing Woff has better passing this year. That saved them vs Citadel - credit to Woff.

I hope you can see I am objective.. list pro and con. If I were a Woff fan I wouldn't be feeling as good about this team at this moment as last year's team. Just not running the option as well

gofurman
November 4th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Even if I think it's true for UTC I'm punting on this one.

We're not good on offense. We're going to lose our first playoff game.

At this point I just hope we beat VMI and get that Socon title

I knew I could count on YT. You will beat VMI and win SoCon. a sincere congrats. hope FU can win at least one of two and join you in playoffs

What do you think is going on w your Offense? I will give that some was due to your D injuries - without D Wilson at LB and your NGs (lost both) that helped UTC stay on field on O. Thus preventing your O from wearing on the UTC D - you could see the UTC D wear down which is always Woffs theory. It is just taking longer now. UTC D was awesome first half. UTC D was good second half. Woff O gashed UTC in first OT. That happens faster if your starting D players are out there and get UTC O off field and Woff O can start wearing on UTC D in first half...

all that said, there is still something off with Woff O. Any ideas??

gofurman
November 4th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Yes it is. FWIW Wofford needed the win in a bad way. They’re in line for a possible seed now.

And I agree Chatt is improved. Dale Warren in at LB. Defensive line play. Freshmann QB in game 5 instead of game 1. hope they continue to improve.

PaladinFan
November 4th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Actually their some credence to that argument. I don’t know about ETSU, but if you can’t tell the difference between the team that played in the last 3 weeks and the one that played Furman your somewhat delusional. We were a total train wreck against Furman. True freshman starting his first game, offensive line awful and defense missing players. Not even a comparison.

There's no question you look better.

Interestingly, and maybe it's just my computer, but doesn't UTC's football site have the completely wrong score for the Western Carolina game?

http://www.gomocs.com/schedule.aspx?path=fb

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 05:05 PM
At this point I think what makes Furman special relative to the rest of the conference is consistency.

Looking at any team 2-8 in the conference, you don't really know what you'll get any given game. Wofford's problem is fundamental: our offense is the victim of poor playcalling and a lack of coherent philosophy.

Our defense's problem is that our philosophy is bull****. You beat us by finding windows in our zone 7-15 yards down the field. It's no coincidence that the last three weeks we've played teams that can't run the ball and we've managed to make their QB's look like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning (their completion percentage being higher than our average).

Teams that are 8-1 usually have the capability to get a first down late in the game to put the game on ice. Wofford does not and it's biting us. But it's not just offense, it's the defense as well, being unable to get off the field on third down.

The difference between this Wofford team (and the Wofford team of last year for that matter) and the teams that went 3 straight years at .500 is that we don't turn the ball over as much, our defense plays better and we have better personnel out there.

On a deeper level, we're just not a top 5 team. We have fundamental problems that have not been addressed since Mitch Allen and Eric Breitenstein graduated. We're not as good as the teams that went to the playoffs between 2007-2011 (we're arguably as good as 2012). Those teams could score point, sometimes on demand. We can't. We've changed our offense to be more spread, more passing (we used to only pass like how Furman passes, rarely and for the jugular) but the outcomes aren't there. At. All.

Then you have our starting QB, Goodson who is a good passer but not as good/as threatening with the option as Newman. Granted, Newman turned the ball over this year, but it helps if you're running the option to have that one spark every few drives. This year, we have no coherent philosophy with Newman or Goodson. It's inconsistent and like today when Goodson is clearly unproductive, we put Newman in for one drive, then call dip**** pass plays on consecutive plays and take him out.

There's just no coherence, no consistency. Nothing. Our coaches are good at recruiting, player development, and fundamentals, but they don't seem to have clue what they're doing anymore when calling plays. And that's what's always going to keep us from winning a title. It's actually frustrating to watch at this point.

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 05:07 PM

Interestingly, and maybe it's just my computer, but doesn't UTC's football site have the completely wrong score for the Western Carolina game?

Yep, your right it was 45-7.

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 05:09 PM
There are quite a few indicators that UTC has improved over the last few weeks (just look at their run game, average ypc, etc)

But I'm not making that argument, because I think it's irrelevant to our performance today.

We scored 27 points in regulation against a much better UTC defense last year. We had less than 250 yards of offense today, including OT. We brought back basically everyone and should have the defense to have more possessions. Nope. If it's a consistency problem and we're not a young team, it's on the coaches. Admittedly, we only have like 7 seniors on the two deep (or so), but you expect better outcomes than what we're seeing, given the relative maturity of the group.

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 05:28 PM
There are quite a few indicators that UTC has improved over the last few weeks (just look at their run game, average ypc, etc)

But I'm not making that argument, because I think it's irrelevant to our performance today.

We scored 27 points in regulation against a much better UTC defense last year. We had less than 250 yards of offense today, including OT. We brought back basically everyone and should have the defense to have more possessions. Nope. If it's a consistency problem and we're not a young team, it's on the coaches. Admittedly, we only have like 7 seniors on the two deep (or so), but you expect better outcomes than what we're seeing, given the relative maturity of the group.

I wouldn’t call last years defense THAT much better. Maybe up until the last 2 games. We actually gained a better safety than we lost last year. Lost a linebacker and 2 very good end rushers, but what do end rushers have to do with stopping the TO ? Totally different scheme from last year 4-2-5 to 3-4. To be fair Wofford’s offense isn’t the same one I saw last year.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 05:31 PM

I think it is a bad link....that feeds the scores..if you click the box scores it pulls up the Mercer game, which was 30-10

Reign of Terrier
November 4th, 2017, 05:32 PM
I wouldn’t call last years defense THAT much better. Maybe up until the last 2 games. We actually gained a better safety than we lost last year. Lost a linebacker and 2 very good end rushers, but what do end rushers have to do with stopping the TO ? Totally different scheme from last year 4-2-5 to 3-4. To be fair Wofford’s offense isn’t the same one I saw last year.

And that's my point. We bring back everyone, but we still rarely break 30 points on anyone. Because of who Chattanooga played this week, I can't really praise or make the case of how they've improved in the last month without coming off as making excuses, so I'm not. Even in spite of improvement, this game should not have been as close as it was.

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 05:39 PM
And that's my point. We bring back everyone, but we still rarely break 30 points on anyone. Because of who Chattanooga played this week, I can't really praise or make the case of how they've improved in the last month without coming off as making excuses, so I'm not. Even in spite of improvement, this game should not have been as close as it was.

Yep, if we didn't spot you the 7 points early (can't really fault Stewart, it was just an odd hit to land on his feet), it is 6-0 at half and we go down 7-6 in the 3rd and win the game on an Ulmo kick at the end 9-3...so the margin should have been 3 and not 2.

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 05:53 PM

You would have praised us if you’d seen our game against WCU. I’m not sure I’ve seen a more worse offensive line performance in my life. The Furman game wasn’t that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milktruck74
November 4th, 2017, 06:02 PM
You would have praised us if you’d seen our game against WCU. I’m not sure I’ve seen a more worse offensive line performance in my life. The Furman game wasn’t that much better.

^^^^^^ TRUTH!!!!! We looked like an overmatched D2 team!!!! Those two games reminded of that year Glenville State came to Chattanooga and never crossed their own 40...except we were Glenville State.

longtimemocfan
November 4th, 2017, 06:14 PM
^^^^^^ TRUTH!!!!! We looked like an overmatched D2 team!!!! Those two games reminded of that year Glenville State came to Chattanooga and never crossed their own 40...except we were Glenville State.

Lol that’s no lie.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 4th, 2017, 06:28 PM
UTC has nothing to be ashamed of the past few weeks. They showed more pride in the last two weeks than their bigger brothers in Knoxville all season.

Mocs123
November 4th, 2017, 06:47 PM

Absolutely. This is a different team than I saw play UT Martin, Western Carolina, or Furman. We looked absolutely terrible in all of those games.

Our defense didn’t look terrible against a good WCU offense (21 points were from the offense) but we got manhandled by Furman. Some of that goes to Furman being a vastly improved and physical team but we were off too for whatever reason.

The last three weeks have given me hope for the future.

dungeonjoe
November 4th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Wofford College Football 2017: The quintessential SoCon opponent, so classy they don't run the score up on anyone.xrolleyesxxbangxxoopsx

Wofford College Football 2017: keeping the adventurous and daring offensive playbook hidden until that big game with VMI.

Peachy Carnahan
November 4th, 2017, 07:26 PM
It's all part of detailed, highly evolved plan.