PDA

View Full Version : Facilities top concern for Southern A.D. LaFleur

bluedog
July 19th, 2005, 07:23 AM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/images/071905/17155_256.jpg

Trying to get a brief jump on Southern athletic director job he would begin Monday, Greg LaFleur went to the F.G. Clark Center on Friday and tried to get into the building, figuring that's where his office would be.
Southern's athletic department hasn't occupied the Clark Center since a fire in September 2002, shifted over to Jesse Owens Hall near A.W. Mumford Stadium. Its weight room, training room and equipment room occupy temporary trailers outside the otherwise remodeled basketball arena.

If LaFleur didn't know it before, it hit him then. The single biggest issue facing him in his new job is improving and repairing athletic facilities.

"That's the immediate concern," LaFleur said. "That's our urgency right now."

LaFleur kicked off the first day of his tenure Monday morning by meeting with Southern's coaches.

Almost all to a man and woman voiced concerns over facilities.

"It's not anything we can solve overnight," LaFleur said. "We have to continue working on it."

Then he sounded an optimistic note.

"The good part about it is everything is possible," he said. "We have a chance to make things happen."

LaFleur said one of his goals is to eventually get the athletic department offices back into the Clark Center. Longer term, he wants to see the long-proposed north end zone addition to A.W. Mumford Stadium completed, where the football program would be housed.

"Once we get the new north end zone complex that will really take us to the next level," LaFleur said.

"Resources are always an issue at a school this size. We have to prioritize and figure out what is the most important thing then figure out how to do the rest."

LaFleur also spent part of his first day as Southern's athletic director attending a news conference at LSU, his alma mater, for this week's Coca-Cola/Louisiana High School Coaches All-Star games.
Read the story (http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/071905/sou_su001.shtml#continue)

McNeese75
July 19th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Trying to get a brief jump on Southern athletic director job he would begin Monday, Greg LaFleur went to the F.G. Clark Center on Friday and tried to get into the building, figuring that's where his office would be.
Southern's athletic department hasn't occupied the Clark Center since a fire in September 2002, shifted over to Jesse Owens Hall near A.W. Mumford Stadium. Its weight room, training room and equipment room occupy temporary trailers outside the otherwise remodeled basketball arena.

If LaFleur didn't know it before, it hit him then. The single biggest issue facing him in his new job is improving and repairing athletic facilities.

LaFleur kicked off the first day of his tenure Monday morning by meeting with Southern's coaches.

"It's not anything we can solve overnight," LaFleur said. "We have to continue working on it."

"The good part about it is everything is possible," he said. "We have a chance to make things happen."

LaFleur said one of his goals is to eventually get the athletic department offices back into the Clark Center. Longer term, he wants to see the long-proposed north end zone addition to A.W. Mumford Stadium completed, where the football program would be housed.

"Once we get the new north end zone complex that will really take us to the next level," LaFleur said.

"Resources are always an issue at a school this size. We have to prioritize and figure out what is the most important thing then figure out how to do the rest."

LaFleur also spent part of his first day as Southern's athletic director attending a news conference at LSU, his alma mater, for this week's Coca-Cola/Louisiana High School Coaches All-Star games.
Read the story (http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/071905/sou_su001.shtml#continue)

Damn, we shoulda hired this guy :D

bobcatfan06
July 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Damn, we shoulda hired this guy :D

That would have been a mistake. Unless you want numerous NCAA violations on your record, I would advise not hiring the Soda Jerk.

McNeese75
July 19th, 2005, 09:21 PM
That would have been a mistake. Unless you want numerous NCAA violations on your record, I would advise not hiring the Soda Jerk.

Well at least this guy is concerned about facilities and besides, we would never hire Manny :D

bobcatfan06
July 20th, 2005, 12:21 AM
We didn't hire Manny, this guy hired Manny. LaFleur definately got Manny hired here. If it wasn't for that debacle, Bailiff probably would have been here a year early from my guestimation. :bang:

TxSt02
July 20th, 2005, 03:26 AM

The NCAA will be watching this clown closely... This guy was the biggest jackass ever! I hate to dis your new AD but I had personal meetings with him on three occasions and ever time they got worse and worse. Beware of the Soda Jerk!

bluedog
July 20th, 2005, 05:43 AM
You know it's truly a pathetic situation when you get fans to believe that an individual is to blame for crooked crap that “THEY” were doing three years before that individual was hire.

TxSt02
July 20th, 2005, 12:00 PM
You know it's truly a pathetic situation when you get fans to believe that an individual is to blame for crooked crap that “THEY” were doing three years before that individual was hire.

Just wait for his antics... The first thing that he will do is want to move Southern to IA based on your attendance... he will also carry around a sheet of paper (i can get it for you so that you will have it before he gives you one) that has all the school and attendance factors in the Big 12, SEC, Sunbelt and he will add the SWAC in their and point out how much better Southern is than the rest and that yall should be IA... He will do this publicly and piss of the commish of the SWAC and your school president for crossing them. Funny thing is you will see how he thinks he is still at LSU and he thinks that will work at a smaller school. Im telling you good luck with this clown. Wait until you the pic with the tuba wrapped around his neck!

Catmendue2
July 20th, 2005, 12:03 PM
The NCAA will be watching this clown closely... This guy was the biggest jackass ever! I hate to dis your new AD but I had personal meetings with him on three occasions and ever time they got worse and worse. Beware of the Soda Jerk!

What makes him the asshole, you met with him three tmes, you stated. If he's the asshole, what does that make you?

TxSt02
July 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
What makes him the asshole, you met with him three tmes, you stated. If he's the asshole, what does that make you?

Your question makes no sense... I will try to answer it though... I guess I am the moron for meeting with after the first time I met him at a football game and then meeting with everytime after. I just figured that he would say something a little wiser each time...

bluedog
July 20th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Just wait for his antics... The first thing that he will do is want to move Southern to IA based on your attendance... he will also carry around a sheet of paper (i can get it for you so that you will have it before he gives you one) that has all the school and attendance factors in the Big 12, SEC, Sunbelt and he will add the SWAC in their and point out how much better Southern is than the rest and that yall should be IA... He will do this publicly and piss of the commish of the SWAC and your school president for crossing them. Funny thing is you will see how he thinks he is still at LSU and he thinks that will work at a smaller school. Im telling you good luck with this clown. Wait until you the pic with the tuba wrapped around his neck!

I think that your feelings are sincere and they may just have some foundation, but none of that has anything to do with the Ncaa violations that your school committed before he was hired.

At the end of the day when it all said and done there isn’t one ounce of proof the he committed violations or knew of any being committed. The only thing that can be attributed to him is the fact that he hired the coach that committed violations and as far as I'm concern to fire a first year AD because of one bad hire is suspect at best.

Personally I believe that the administration was looking for an escape goat not to mention the fact that there was some controversy in your schools camp before he was hired.

The fact that the person that actually had control of monitoring these violation that the school was charged with was given has job after being pass up for years of service is unquestionably questionable in my opinion.

TxSt02
July 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I think that your feelings are sincere and they may just have some foundation, but none of that has anything to do with the Ncaa violations that your school committed before he was hired.

At the end of the day when it all said and done there isn’t one ounce of proof the he committed violations or knew of any being committed. The only thing that can be attributed to him is the fact that he hired the coach that committed violations and as far as I'm concern to fire a first year AD because of one bad hire is suspect at best.

Personally I believe that the administration was looking for an escape goat not to mention the fact that there was some controversy in your schools camp before he was hired.

The fact that the person that actually had control of monitoring these violation that the school was charged with was given has job after being pass up for years of service is unquestionably questionable in my opinion.

Ill let it go... He is a nice guy (kinda) but not a great AD in my book... Maybe things will work out for him because he is back home... best of luck this year!

bluedog
July 20th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Ill let it go... He is a nice guy (kinda) but not a great AD in my book... Maybe things will work out for him because he is back home... best of luck this year!

Thanks same to you. I'll be keeping an eye out for that sheet of paper. ;)

McNeese75
July 20th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks same to you. I'll be keeping an eye out for that sheet of paper. ;)

:D That may be one of the most civil endings to a fairly heated discussion I have seen on this board. My hat is off to both of you!!! :bow: