PDA

View Full Version : Who suffers most -- Maine or UNH?

PapaBear
February 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Wildcats lose one of college football's most creative offensive minds, plus All World WR David Ball. They return a fair-to-middling defense and a surprisingly sold running game -- to go with the most productive QB in school history.

Black Bears lose a dynamic OC who's been a rock of stability for 17 years, along with a 4-year starter at QB and multi-offensive-threat Arel Gordon. Defense has a few significant casualties, but also returns lots of good players from one of the nation's top units.

Who's got the bigger challenge?

I say Maine does, because they have to break in a new QB. That's typically an offense's biggest challenge even when the staff remains constant. But for Maine, it's made even tougher by the loss of the guy who has mentored one of the two likely starters for the past one to two seasons.

Someone please talk me down from this ledge.

UNHWildCats
February 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I agree Maine does because there was more the one game last year when UNH showed they can win without Ball having a big game. So they should be fine without him. I think Michael Boyle is gonna blossom into a top WR next season building off the solid finish he had in 2006.

mainejeff
February 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
UNH - McDonnell = bigger loss for them, plus facilities continues to be a negative.

Maine - On the field, Maine has much more to replace.....a new QB being the top priority. Maybe they will replace Wilder with someone that actually likes throwing it down the field.

rmutv
February 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Sounds like Maine has a tougher go. New Hampshire at least has a running game and a high quality QB to go along with a moderate defense. Maine has more significant holes to replace.

Mr. C
February 10th, 2007, 06:08 PM
One interesting thing to consider about the loss of Wilder is that Maine had in the past year and a half gone from being a power-oriented football team to one that runs the spread. It will be interesting to see if Jack Cosgrove hires from within, or goes outside to find an OC? I also wonder if Wilder will run the spread at ODU (likely), or will revert back to the I?

This is the second major coaching loss for Maine in recent years. Matt Griffin's move to Tennessee-Martin (and now Murray State) also had to hurt some. But that is part of football when you have success like Maine did for several years. It is a real key year for Maine, with Cosgrove in the final year of his contract. Considering he is one of the more successful coaches in a place where it isn't that easy to win, hopefully, folks will give him some time to get the Black Bears back to where they belong.

I have a lot of respect for Sean McDonnell, though I understand Chip Kelly's contribution to that success. I think McDonnell will find someone to fit it.