PDA

View Full Version : Massey Rankings

WTFCollegefootballfan
October 30th, 2017, 08:33 PM
https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2017, 09:00 PM

You are going to piss some CAA fanboys off with 5 MVFC in the top 9.

The highest rated SoCon at 16 is a little surprising though.

Oh NCAT fans, the average spot is 19 for you and I put you at 22. Care to argue this one? xnodx

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2017, 10:07 PM

Oh NCAT fans, the average spot is 19 for you and I put you at 22. Care to argue this one? xnodx

It's an average of all human and computer polls. It also has us higher than YSU.

I just want to know why you and your MVFC keep coming for our heads? We've never bothered y'all. We don't brag in the media saying we'll beat North Dakota state.

Why the vitriol?

centennial
October 30th, 2017, 10:57 PM
It's an average of all human and computer polls. It also has us higher than YSU.

I just want to know why you and your MVFC keep coming for our heads? We've never bothered y'all. We don't brag in the media saying we'll beat North Dakota state.

Why the vitriol?
I think most of us just want NCAT to play the 5th MVFC team in the playoffs. Let's settle this on the field.

TheKingpin28
October 31st, 2017, 06:32 AM

Why the vitriol?

I think most of us just want NCAT to play the 5th MVFC team in the playoffs. Let's settle this on the field.

There is your answer.

AmsterBison
October 31st, 2017, 07:22 AM

Why the vitriol?

No vitriol from this Bison fan...but then I've got a soft spot for any school that goes by "Aggies."

dewey
October 31st, 2017, 07:30 AM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26394&stc=1

Dewey

phoenix3
October 31st, 2017, 07:30 AM
I don’t have any major problems with this segment of the Massey’s. I do have a problem with any team being a part of the NCAA Football CHAMPIONSHIP Subdivision when they don’t participate in the CHAMPIONSHIP. JMHO.

kalm
October 31st, 2017, 07:50 AM
This link is a little easier to read

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

Edit: but it's different even though it says it includes games through 10/28

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2017, 08:02 AM
This link is a little easier to read

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/ratings

Edit: but it's different even though it says it includes games through 10/28
Your link is just the Massey ratings I believe whereas the OP's link is the Massey composite.

kalm
October 31st, 2017, 08:14 AM
Your link is just the Massey ratings I believe whereas the OP's link is the Massey composite.

Ah...that's right.

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2017, 08:16 AM
This just further demonstrates the flaw of using computer averages in FCS. This year is particularly bad.

Daytripper
October 31st, 2017, 08:17 AM
The bottom of the SLC is just awful. Three teams in the bottom 16. The middle and top of the conference is improving, but the SLC will not get to a point of overall respect until the bottom feeders at least become competitive. Looking at you HBU, UIW and Lamar.

And Lamar should be ashamed of itself. They are in the center of a recruiting goldmine in the Golden Triangle. They have a decent endowment and a nice stadium. They just can't stop stepping on their own d*&ks when hiring coaches.

WTFCollegefootballfan
October 31st, 2017, 03:37 PM

JSU fans are the worst on the FCS fans Facebook page.

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 03:41 PM

Oh well. They'll probably be all peppy till they realize our offense is trash while we're getting blown out at home in the second round again.

UNIFanSince1983
October 31st, 2017, 03:44 PM
This just further demonstrates the flaw of using computer averages in FCS. This year is particularly bad.

You keep using that word "averages" and I am not sure you know what you are talking about.

Computer ratings by themselves are not "averages". Now this particular one is an average, but it includes all computer rating systems and all human rankings. Seems pretty decent to me. Some MVFC teams are a little inflated, but that honestly will happen. Some years it is CAA, some the Southern (prior to the Fun Belt exodus), some the Big Sky.

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2017, 03:47 PM
You keep using that word "averages" and I am not sure you know what you are talking about.

Computer ratings by themselves are not "averages". Now this particular one is an average, but it includes all computer rating systems and all human rankings. Seems pretty decent to me. Some MVFC teams are a little inflated, but that honestly will happen. Some years it is CAA, some the Southern (prior to the Fun Belt exodus), some the Big Sky.

In using a statistical formula or algorithm to forecast future trends, by definition computer rankings are averages

WileECoyote06
October 31st, 2017, 03:48 PM

Why the vitriol?

https://slimages.macysassets.com/is/image/MCY/products/4/optimized/296794_fpx.tif?fit=fit,1&$filterlrg$&wid=240&hei=293

xdontknowx

thebootfitter
October 31st, 2017, 07:27 PM

In using a statistical formula or algorithm to forecast future trends, by definition computer rankings are averages

UNIFan - I keep calling him out on this as well. His last response to me was actually not far off the mark, though, I have to admit. I think he probably mostly understands what the computer rankings represent, but he keeps using the word "averages," which makes it sound like he doesn't.

From the perspective that Sagarin's rating value represents the mean or "average" outcome between two teams on the field with some degree of variance or uncertainty around the outcome, he's actually on track.

Many times he has used the word in relation to computer ratings, though, it sounds as though he is suggesting that the current ratings are somehow made up of "averages." I'm not certain what he's trying to say when he says that.

Bison56
October 31st, 2017, 07:45 PM

Yep, but they will disappear after there first playoff game.

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 08:26 PM
Their*

cx500d
October 31st, 2017, 08:34 PM
Their*

Thank you band geek

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 08:35 PM
Thank you band geek
Thank you, Band Geek.

cx500d
October 31st, 2017, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Band Geek.

you're welcome butt pirate

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 08:44 PM
Shhhh.... xshhhx

TheKingpin28
October 31st, 2017, 08:51 PM

That is SHSU fans.

WTFCollegefootballfan
October 31st, 2017, 09:25 PM
Oh well. They'll probably be all peppy till they realize our offense is trash while we're getting blown out at home in the second round again.
Most of them think JSU have the best defence in the country. Also they say JSU should be number 1.

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 09:30 PM
Most of them think JSU have the best defence in the country. Also they say JSU should be number 1.
I don't know about the best but it's in the top 5 for sure. If Horn hadn't decided to cough up the ball inside our own 20 three times our defense could have won us the GT game.

JSU has no reason to be number one. The offense is mediocre and our schedule is total ass since UTC and Liberty imploded.

After last Saturday I'm not sure we have any business in the top 5.

Serpentor
October 31st, 2017, 10:04 PM
That is SHSU fans.

"I don't hate SHSU. I feel a deeply psychological need to bring that up in every conversation, but I totally don't hate them."

cx500d
October 31st, 2017, 10:06 PM
"I don't hate SHSU. I feel a deeply psychological need to bring that up in every conversation, but I totally don't hate them."

I think you are being unfairly over-generalized after the latest experience with the Pud

TheKingpin28
November 1st, 2017, 06:38 AM

I think you are being unfairly over-generalized after the latest experience with the Pud

We see how you guys "disappear" after a bad loss or curbstomping. Outside of Nickels and Daytripper, your fanbase flakes out when things are not going perfect. I would have said JMU and if they do the same thing, I will say that as well.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2017, 08:29 AM
We see how you guys "disappear" after a bad loss or curbstomping. Outside of Nickels and Daytripper, your fanbase flakes out when things are not going perfect. I would have said JMU and if they do the same thing, I will say that as well.

Unpopular opinion for this website but I think it's totally cool and perhaps natural to not want to talk to strangers about your college team who plays small time football on the rare occasion that they lose and it's similarly natural to want to do it more when they win. I'm a fan of Wofford football. FCS is cool, but I only care about it because of Wofford. If we're bad, I'm not going to commit my time and energy to talk about it on the internet and I think that's totally okay.

Now, being an asshole while you're here on the other hand...

Daytripper
November 1st, 2017, 08:36 AM
That is SHSU fans.

I'm right here.

EDIT: just saw your later post that exempts me from your criticism. I'm so relieved...xlolx

UNH72Plus
November 1st, 2017, 09:57 AM
Never cared much for Massey, and especially this year when they have Maine ranked ahead of UNH. UNH has one more win, an FBS win (albeit against a very poor Georgia Southern Squad), and beat Maine. Then there's 3-5 YSU with one good win against SDSU. Their two other wins were against 2-6 Robert Morris, and CCSU whose 5 wins came against a DII team and whose other opponents in those wins have a combined record of 13-29. #20 NC A&T is another example who at 8-0 has yet to play a team with a winning record. Their opponents combined record is 15-50. Kudos to NC A&T for winning 8 games, but do they really deserve a top 20 ranking?

WileECoyote06
November 1st, 2017, 10:29 AM
Never cared much for Massey, and especially this year when they have Maine ranked ahead of UNH. UNH has one more win, an FBS win (albeit against a very poor Georgia Southern Squad), and beat Maine. Then there's 3-5 YSU with one good win against SDSU. Their two other wins were against 2-6 Robert Morris, and CCSU whose 5 wins came against a DII team and whose other opponents in those wins have a combined record of 13-29. #20 NC A&T is another example who at 8-0 has yet to play a team with a winning record. Their opponents combined record is 15-50. Kudos to NC A&T for winning 8 games, but do they really deserve a top 20 ranking?

That is a darn good point. Does Massey considers Margin of Victory? A&T's MOV is 24 points/game.

I'd like to think that any team that gets to 8-0 with an FBS win is deserving of a top 25 ranking though; regardless of schedule. Maybe not Top-10 or even Top-15; but Top 25 definitely. Teams can only play who's on their schedule.

UNIFanSince1983
November 1st, 2017, 11:06 AM
That is a darn good point. Does Massey considers Margin of Victory? A&T's MOV is 24 points/game.

I'd like to think that any team that gets to 8-0 with an FBS win is deserving of a top 25 ranking though; regardless of schedule. Maybe not Top-10 or even Top-15; but Top 25 definitely. Teams can only play who's on their schedule.

Yes it does.

The main version does consider scoring margin, but its effect is diminished as the game becomes a blowout. The score of each game is translated into a number between 0 and 1. For example 30-29 might give 0.5270, while 45-21 gives 0.9433 and 56-3 gives around 0.9998

The maximum is topped at 1, so the curve flattens out for blowout scores. In addition, I do a Bayesian correction to reward each winner, regardless of the game's score.

The net effect is that there is no incentive to run up the score. However, a "comfortable" margin (say 10 points) is preferred to a narrow margin (say 3 points).

In summary, winning games against quality competition overshadows blowout scores against inferior opponents. Each week, the results from the entire season are re-evaluated based on the latest results. Consistent winners are rewarded, and a blowout score has only marginal effect on a team's rating.

skinny_uncle
November 1st, 2017, 04:20 PM
Computer rankings are based on recent performance and make no allowance for the effect on a team of injuries. If you consider injuries not important, go talk to a Green Bay fan.

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2017, 04:31 PM
If you consider injuries not important, go talk to a Green Bay fan.
Or just take his word for it if you don't like the smell of cheese and bratwurst breath.

dbackjon
November 1st, 2017, 04:39 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26394&stc=1

Dewey

Find it intereesting that NAU is behind the team we beat, but ahead of the team we lost too.

- - - Updated - - -

Did someone say butt pirate??

TheKingpin28
November 1st, 2017, 04:54 PM
Unpopular opinion for this website but I think it's totally cool and perhaps natural to not want to talk to strangers about your college team who plays small time football on the rare occasion that they lose and it's similarly natural to want to do it more when they win. I'm a fan of Wofford football. FCS is cool, but I only care about it because of Wofford. If we're bad, I'm not going to commit my time and energy to talk about it on the internet and I think that's totally okay.

Now, being an asshole while you're here on the other hand...

If you want to be a fair weather fan, go right on ahead. But when you only show up for the good times, it looks bad on more than just 1 end.

I'm right here.

EDIT: just saw your later post that exempts me from your criticism. I'm so relieved...xlolx

I give you and Nickels a pass since you both have actually stayed around even through the good times as well as the bd times.