SLC Possible Playoff Teams

Team, Overall, SLC, Opponents left
UCA 7-1, 6-0... Lamar, UIW, ACU
SHSU 7-1, 5-1... UIW, ACU, HBU
Nicholls 6-2, 5-1... HBU, SFA, SLU
McNeese 6-2, 4-2... SLU, NWST, Lamar

katss07
October 28th, 2017, 11:29 PM
I think SHSU and UCA are now locks to get a seed, maybe locks to be in the top 6. Nicholls should be a playoff team as well.

Nicholls
ACU
UCA
SHSU
SELA

bonarae
October 29th, 2017, 03:38 AM
Nicholls
ACU
UCA
SHSU
SELA

SFA 93
October 29th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Nicholls should be a playoff team as well.

We will take care of that one way or the other :)

cx500d
October 29th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Nicholls
ACU
UCA
SHSU
SELA

Daytripper
October 29th, 2017, 09:42 AM
HBU at Nicholls - Nicholls in a low scoring game
ACU at NWST - NWST starts a winning streak!
UCA at Lamar - The only question is whether the Bears break 100.
UIW at SHSU- Bearkats best not have a let down.
SLU at McNeese - Both coming off disappointing losses. Take the home team.

Daytripper
October 29th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I think SHSU and UCA are now locks to get a seed (if they win out), maybe locks to be in the top 6. Nicholls should be a playoff team as well.

Nicholls
ACU
UCA
SHSU
SELA

FIFY

Wildcat1997
October 29th, 2017, 11:07 AM
All games November 4, 2017

HBU at Nicholls
ACU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
UIW at SHSU
SLU at McNeeseNicholls
ACU (ACU will start our backup QB who has played well this season and we can hopefully catch the Demons off guard)
UCA
SHSU
SLU

McNeese75
October 29th, 2017, 08:04 PM
HBU at Nicholls
ACU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
UIW at SHSU
SLU at McNeese

McNeese72
October 29th, 2017, 09:51 PM
McNeese [/B]

We better play better than we did in Conway this past Saturday.

Doc

BEAR
October 30th, 2017, 08:01 AM

Doc

Um yeah....I was expecting a battle from the #20 team. While our offense yet again took a minute to get started...well..the Cowboys pretty much just showed up for the experience.

TheRevSFA
October 30th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Nicholls
NWST
UCA
SHSU
SLU

Sammy94
October 30th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Nicholls
ACU
UCA
SHSU
McNeese

BEAR
October 30th, 2017, 11:47 AM
TV/Streaming schedule:

Saturday, Nov. 4
UIW at Sam Houston State, 1 p.m. CT, ESPN3 (http://espn.com/watch)
Houston Baptist at Nicholls, 3:30 p.m. CT, Eleven Sports (http://elevensportsusa.com/)/Southland Digital Network (http://southland.org/live)
Southeastern Louisiana at McNeese, 6 p.m. CT, Cox Sports TV (http://coxsportstv.com/)/ESPN3 (http://espn3.com/)
Central Arkansas at Lamar, 6 p.m. CT, ESPN3 (http://espn.com/watch)
Abilene Christian at Northwestern State, 6 p.m. CT, NSUDemons.com (http://nsudemons.com/watch)

LIONFAN07
October 30th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Nicholls
Abeline
UCA
SHSU
SLU

I am looking forward to the trip to Lake Charles. The stadium experience in 2007 and 2015 when we were there was special. I will never forget it. Huge crowds and it was electric. With both teams coming off a loss and LSU vs Alabama at the same time I understand how it might be down this year. But I love the games over there and eating at Daryl's before the game.

As far as the Lions....I picked us but I could see it go the other way. Both teams will have to get fired up and focused after a tough losses last week for both programs.

Best of luck to the Bears and Sam in hoping they make the playoffs. Second year in a row they will represent the Southland in the playoffs. Nicholls has a chance as well but hopefully the Lions have something to say about that in a few weeks.

I hope the Lions beat the Colonels which I think would knock them out of the playoffs. But if it didn't happen I wouldn't mind seeing the Southland get three teams in again. I hate the 9 team conference schedule. It is killing our league IMO. Ever since they went to 9 games the league has been a 2 team playoff league. 2015, 2016, and maybe 2017. I know this has been discussed before but 9 conference games in an 11 game schedule hurts us as a league to be able to go out and schedule cross conference ball games. Most of us have to play at least one FBS a year that gives us one shot to go play someone that helps us at post season time. back in 2013 I know for the Lions it helped us with the committee when we beat SEMO big, played SDSU on the road close and beat Samford on the road. 2014 helped us beating Jacksonville who won the Pioneer and beating Southern Utah. I mean we blew it by not beating Bethune but even if we beat them won last two and finished 8-3 this year we might have still been left out. Oh well. Try to win last two and finish 7-4 for respectable year.

Serpentor
October 30th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Hey McNeese, don't sleep on SELA. These guys have some fight in them...

Serpentor
October 30th, 2017, 02:35 PM
HBU at Nicholls - Nicholls wins a low-scoring game
ACU at NWST - It will be a close one. If ACU manages to win, I won't be surprised
UCA at Lamar - UCA cruises to a win
UIW at SHSU - SHSU wins this one comfortably
SLU at McNeese - I think SELA pulls this one off

McCowboys
October 30th, 2017, 02:44 PM

You don't have to tell me. I've been telling Bear that for a couple of weeks now when he tended to discount them.

One thing in McNeese's favor is that SLU tends to be a running team, and the Cowboys are good at slowing that down. I saw that Nunez was banged up a bit and was limping toward the end of the game with the Bearkats. If he is not 100%, that would be another thing in McNeese's favor.

However, the Lions seem to have had our number for the last couple of years, and I think Coach Roberts is a very good coach and will have them prepared.

If McNeese can figure out how to kick off and stop returns, they might have a chance. If I see them do one more pooch kick....

BEAR
October 30th, 2017, 02:58 PM
You don't have to tell me. I've been telling Bear that for a couple of weeks now when he tended to discount them.

Hey all I can do is compare them to what they did in Conway...basically two field goals...which wasn't much because they were short a QB. So I couldn't tell how good they were. I couldn't rate the Cowboys either. They have played an easier schedule and dominated..so was their defense good OR was it not because of the schedule..I had no idea... If SLU is in fourth place with their issues, then the cowboys had better saddle up...cuz the Lions could end their playoff hopes for sure...

McNeese75
October 30th, 2017, 03:02 PM

Doc

Yep, but I would never pick the Lions when we are at home.

McNeese75
October 30th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Hey all I can do is compare them to what they did in Conway...basically two field goals...which wasn't much because they were short a QB. So I couldn't tell how good they were. I couldn't rate the Cowboys either. They have played an easier schedule and dominated..so was their defense good OR was it not because of the schedule..I had no idea... If SLU is in fourth place with their issues, then the cowboys had better saddle up...cuz the Lions could end their playoff hopes for sure...

9-2 or 8-3 is not going to make a difference regarding playoff hopes. There are none.

Bears appear to be a really good team. I just hope you represent when it comes playoff time.

BEAR
October 30th, 2017, 03:17 PM
HBU at Nicholls- The colons win this one cuz the Husky dogs have no offense.
http://orig00.deviantart.net/7fe4/f/2011/092/1/a/colonel_sanders__sp_style_by_xmuppetsb1989-d3d0y5d.png

UCA at Lamar- Speaking of colons...The bears eat bird after sitting around a campfire with the cowboys eating beans.
http://www.crockpotguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cowboy-beans.jpg

UIW at SHSU- Speaking of beans...the birds will looked gassed chasing down Bearkat receivers all night.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3119/2605063155_9b5b8bd5c6_z.jpg

ACU at NWST- Speaking of darkness...The demons will possess the christians.
https://thoughtcatalog.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/screen-shot-2015-10-08-at-11-12-03-am.png?w=786&h=588

SLU at McNeese- Speaking of possessions....Cowboys win this by grinding out the run game.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.4wQYAuDdNPfTMRcnqp6ShgEsCp&pid=15.1

McCowboys
October 30th, 2017, 04:10 PM

Yes, but people kept saying that Nunez was hurt. He certainly makes a difference in how the Lions perform.

What I will say now is in no way intended to slight UCA's slaughtering of McNeese on Saturday night. However, the Cowboys did have a balanced attack of 400+ yards (evenly split between rushing and passing) against the vaunted UCA defense, and our defense pretty much snuffed your rushing offense.

UCA began most of their drives sniffing the 50-yard line or on our side of the field and our defense still only gave up 27 points. ? I think the rest were scored off fumbles/blocked kick. I may be wrong. Whereas the Cowboys were usually pinned up around their 10-yard line. Our kicking game/special teams killed us!

The Bears had a nonconference game last years where they won every stat imaginable and lost. Well, this isn't quite the case in this game. We did have more yardage, but we fumbled and a couple of defensive pass breakdowns and suffered a blocked punt. The Cowboys certainly contributed to their own demise. Tabary did not have a good game. Your defense put a lot of pressure on him, but even when he had time to throw, he was off too many times. He has not played well since the HBU game.

Our play calling was "iffy." Your offensive coordinator called a great game. Hildebrand is a great quarterback! Still, I would like to think if we played again and lost (which is highly probable) it wouldn't be by 30 points. But who knows? Two years in a row the Bears have rolled over us.

Not real likely for the Cowboys, but maybe we will meet again in the playoffs (very wishful thinking). If not, see you in Cowboy Stadium next year.

BEAR
October 30th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Yes, but people kept saying that Nunez was hurt. He certainly makes a difference in how the Lions perform.

What I will say now is in no way intended to slight UCA's slaughtering of McNeese on Saturday night. However, the Cowboys did have a balanced attack of 400+ yards (evenly split between rushing and passing) against the vaunted UCA defense, and our defense pretty much snuffed your rushing offense.

UCA began most of their drives sniffing the 50-yard line or on our side of the field and our defense still only gave up 27 points. ? I think the rest were scored off fumbles/blocked kick. I may be wrong. Whereas the Cowboys were usually pinned up around their 10-yard line. Our kicking game/special teams killed us!

The Bears had a nonconference game last years where they won every stat imaginable and lost. Well, this isn't quite the case in this game. We did have more yardage, but we fumbled and a couple of defensive pass breakdowns and suffered a blocked punt. The Cowboys certainly contributed to their own demise. Tabary did not have a good game. Your defense put a lot of pressure on him, but even when he had time to throw, he was off too many times. He has not played well since the HBU game.

Our play calling was "iffy." Your offensive coordinator called a great game. Hildebrand is a great quarterback! Still, I would like to think if we played again and lost (which is highly probable) it wouldn't be by 30 points. But who knows? Two years in a row the Bears have rolled over us.

Not real likely for the Cowboys, but maybe we will meet again in the playoffs (very wishful thinking). If not, see you in Cowboy Stadium next year.

I don't think UCAs defense is awesome. They give up 350 per game. But put this in context. We had a whole bunch of second stringers on the DLine during most of the fourth quarter when we led 44-17. One play with 16 seconds left in the game netted the Cowboys 45 rushing yards..about a quarter of the total.
Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Cowboys will be back.

McCowboys
October 30th, 2017, 05:35 PM
I don't think UCAs defense is awesome. They give up 350 per game. But put this in context. We had a whole bunch of second stringers on the DLine during most of the fourth quarter when we led 44-17. One play with 16 seconds left in the game netted the Cowboys 45 rushing yards..about a quarter of the total.
Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Cowboys will be back.

Oh, I thought the Bears ranked second in most of the SLC defensive categories.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. And neither do final scores sometimes. The good thing for the Cowboys is that a loss to a very good Bears team didn't cost them much in the polls. Time to move on and get ready for those pesky Lions!

How 'bout them Astros!

McCowboys
October 30th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Oh, I thought the Bears ranked second in most of the SLC defensive categories.

Stats don't always tell the whole story. And neither do final scores sometimes. The good thing for the Cowboys is that a loss to a very good Bears team didn't cost them much in the polls. Time to move on and get ready for those pesky Lions!

How 'bout them Astros!

By the way, if any SLU fans read this forum, just ignore everything I said. The Cowboys are pathetic! I don't know how they have won any games at all this year. Y'all can just start practicing for Nicholls or whoever you play after us. Looking at the picks for this week, it seems almost unanimous for picking a Lion's victory.

BEAR
October 31st, 2017, 08:03 AM
By the way, if any SLU fans read this forum, just ignore everything I said. The Cowboys are pathetic! I don't know how they have won any games at all this year. Y'all can just start practicing for Nicholls or whoever you play after us. Looking at the picks for this week, it seems almost unanimous for picking a Lion's victory.

Almost....I picked the boys. You guys really do have a run game if your coach would use it.

McNeese72
October 31st, 2017, 08:20 AM

Nah, stick a fork in us. We are done. We will be lucky to finish 8-3.

Doc

McCowboys
October 31st, 2017, 09:55 AM
Almost....I picked the boys. You guys really do have a run game if your coach would use it.

That has been my big dissatisfaction with the play calling for the Cowboys, not establishing a rushing game -- or a short passing game. Maybe UCA was utilizing a different defense late in the game (like a prevent defense), but Tabary was able to find Ross in the middle for the shorter receptions. Too often, to me, it seems we go for the homerun ball with the passes.

I don't know how it would look if that last long run by the Cowboys were removed, but with it, the Cowboys averaged right at 5 yards a carry against the Bears. Ryan Ross will return from injury next year to join Pratt and Hamm. That will be an awesome stable of backs. I hope we will use them!

BEAR
October 31st, 2017, 11:33 AM
That has been my big dissatisfaction with the play calling for the Cowboys, not establishing a rushing game -- or a short passing game. Maybe UCA was utilizing a different defense late in the game (like a prevent defense), but Tabary was able to find Ross in the middle for the shorter receptions. Too often, to me, it seems we go for the homerun ball with the passes.

I don't know how it would look if that last long run by the Cowboys were removed, but with it, the Cowboys averaged right at 5 yards a carry against the Bears. Ryan Ross will return from injury next year to join Pratt and Hamm. That will be an awesome stable of backs. I hope we will use them!

Yeah I think he did. When I heard names like Roy Sutton, Ajavious Brown, Marseth Andry, Michael Ware, Austin Norris, and Matt Hall I knew that after coach put in our second string QB Breylin Smith that he would probably do the same on defense. I also saw that we only threw 2 passes in the second half which made us one dimensional. At one point in the third it was 44-10 so I couldn't imagine coach throwing it too much with a nearly 5 TD lead. McNeese has always killed us over the middle. Sam did it last year with ease. I think we used it for three of our scores against the Cowboys in that game too. It's a good play and I wonder why more teams don't use it in their offense more often. Might be a dangerous pass for the receiver. Who knows. The issue with big strong defenses like UCA has is they always get in the backfield and teams throw over the top or run on the edge if the QB is able to stay in the pocket and the RB is able to time his forward progress with the defense running by him. Good game though. Onto Lamar.

BEAR
October 31st, 2017, 11:45 AM
From the Lamar board: News about players not on the team anymore...no wonder they are struggling.

Gone from last year's roster are:
TE DC Arceneaux
DB Jalen Barners
LB Jarett Carpenter
LB Mike Coats
OL John Craven
DB Kevin Davis
DB Blake George
OL Joseph Gonzales
LB Cameron Hampton (has played this year)
WR Shane Hudson
WR Jordan Jones
RB Austin Krautz
DB Cardell Lue
OL Kanon Mackey (transferred from place new coach left)
TE Sam McGee
TE Duncan McVey (gave up football due to injuries)
OL Barrett Myers
OL Blaine Myers
OL Joshua Persohn
OL Trevon Simpson
WR Clayton Turner

7 -- OL
4 -- DB
3 -- TE
3 -- LB
3 -- WR
1 -- RB

Another 19 players exhausted their eligibility last year.

McNeese72
October 31st, 2017, 12:17 PM

It's not the running backs that are lacking. We need to get better on the Offensive line..

Doc

Daytripper
October 31st, 2017, 12:58 PM
From the Lamar board: News about players not on the team anymore...no wonder they are struggling.

Wish there were Lamar posters here. Maybe they could shed light on what is going on over there.

BEAR
October 31st, 2017, 01:16 PM
Wish there were Lamar posters here. Maybe they could shed light on what is going on over there.

No kidding. So much potential in that area of Texas for recruiting and talent. Plus they got some financial backing. I just don't get it.

Serpentor
October 31st, 2017, 01:24 PM
No kidding. So much potential in that area of Texas for recruiting and talent. Plus they got some financial backing. I just don't get it.

Was it just a good run of a bad luck or do they not have any recruiting going on?

BNATION
October 31st, 2017, 02:43 PM
Nicholls
NWST
UCA
SHSU
SLU

All games November 4, 2017

HBU at Nicholls
ACU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
UIW at SHSU
SLU at McNeese

McCowboys
October 31st, 2017, 05:35 PM
It's not the running backs that are lacking. We need to get better on the Offensive line..

Doc

That could be helped a bit if we had some semblance of an option game -- or even a few pitchouts. We have a QB who is not mobile, can't scramble (or do so very well) and he is responsible for some of the sacks he received, IMO.

BEAR
November 1st, 2017, 12:09 PM
Thought I'd expand upon each possible playoff team's chances of winning their remaining games according to Massey:
(Yes, we know Massey isn't perfect or a sure predictor of games. It's just one source. )

Team, Overall, SLC, Opponents left, % chance of winning those games

UCA 7-1, 6-0... Lamar 100%, UIW 99%, ACU 98%
SHSU 7-1, 5-1... UIW 98%, ACU 92%, HBU 99%
Nicholls 6-2, 5-1... HBU 96%, SFA 59%, SLU 42%
McNeese 6-2, 4-2... SLU 54% , NWST 89%, Lamar 96%

UCA and Sam seem to be favorited pretty heavily in their remaining games.

Nicholls has a tough road ahead.

McNeese's toughest opponent is this next game with SLU.

Thoughts?

McNeese75
November 1st, 2017, 01:20 PM
Thought I'd expand upon each possible playoff team's chances of winning their remaining games according to Massey:
(Yes, we know Massey isn't perfect or a sure predictor of games. It's just one source. )

Team, Overall, SLC, Opponents left, % chance of winning those games

UCA 7-1, 6-0... Lamar 100%, UIW 99%, ACU 98%
SHSU 7-1, 5-1... UIW 98%, ACU 92%, HBU 99%
Nicholls 6-2, 5-1... HBU 96%, SFA 59%, SLU 42%
McNeese 6-2, 4-2... SLU 54% , NWST 89%, Lamar 96%

UCA and Sam seem to be favorited pretty heavily in their remaining games.

Nicholls has a tough road ahead.

McNeese's toughest opponent is this next game with SLU.

Thoughts?

Let ya know Sunday xlolx

BEAR
November 1st, 2017, 02:34 PM
Let ya know Sunday xlolx

Oh the bravery I see before me...xlolx

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e8/db/6e/e8db6ebd8dd82b63dfad49026060566c.jpg

McNeese75
November 1st, 2017, 03:44 PM
Oh the bravery I see before me...xlolx

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/e8/db/6e/e8db6ebd8dd82b63dfad49026060566c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWTJ8iZr7ro

BNATION
November 2nd, 2017, 08:25 AM
Ive had enough of these SLC haters, id put our top 5 up against any of the major conference top 5 any day.

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2017, 08:44 AM
With the limited OOC schedules allowed the hate will continue until the league as a whole starts making a statement with some good wins. Kats win over Richmond was one but nobody else stepped up (McNeese plays a SWAC and DII team :( and SELU loses to BC)

BNATION
November 2nd, 2017, 08:48 AM
McNeese vs New Hampshire, Citadel, UT martin, MOnt St, and Gard Webb, Northern Iowa? I think they handle all 6...

With the limited OOC schedules allowed the hate will continue until the league as a whole starts making a statement with some good wins. Kats win over Richmond was one but nobody else stepped up (McNeese plays a SWAC and DII team :( and SELU loses to BC)

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2017, 08:51 AM
Who knows, last time we went to visit Northern Iowa it was fugly xeyebrowx

Outsider1
November 2nd, 2017, 02:40 PM
HBU at Nicholls
ACU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
UIW at SHSU
SLU at McNeese

For me,the most interesting game here is SLU and McNeese. I think the Cowboy's defense will step up against SLU's running game, but could go the other way if the stars don't align. As far as us and NWST goes, I feel good with Luke Anthony stepping in and our bye week but we have laid a couple of decent eggs this year so no guarantees.

Outsider1
November 2nd, 2017, 02:42 PM
HBU at Nicholls
ACU at NWST
UCA at Lamar
UIW at SHSU
SLU at McNeese

Cowboy's defense steps up...

Anthony makes a difference at NWST for Cats.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2017, 09:25 AM
Alright I ask this weekly and can't remember if I 've asked this already..

Any injuries or hold outs for this week's games that may change the outcome some predicted?

UCA has one defensive player injured, torn MCL or ACL. Heck of a guy and heck of a player too. JR LB Raphael Garner. Not a position we are thin at so he can rest up the rest of the season. I really don't think it will make a difference in the Lamar game either. xlolx

Outsider1
November 3rd, 2017, 09:42 AM
Dallas Sealey is out the rest of the season due to his knee, which went really bad against SLU. Luke Anthony will be the primary now. Currently, I actually think this will improve our play. We have a few other injuries, but this is the biggest change and our bye week is allowing some rest and healing, but not sure how much that will help for this week.

BEAR
November 3rd, 2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the update Outsider! xthumbsupx

McNeese75
November 3rd, 2017, 04:37 PM
Alright I ask this weekly and can't remember if I 've asked this already..

Any injuries or hold outs for this week's games that may change the outcome some predicted?

UCA has one defensive player injured, torn MCL or ACL. Heck of a guy and heck of a player too. JR LB Raphael Garner. Not a position we are thin at so he can rest up the rest of the season. I really don't think it will make a difference in the Lamar game either. xlolx

Does hurt pride count????? xlolx

Daytripper
November 4th, 2017, 09:26 PM
Everything seemed to go as expected today in the Southland. But not without some drama. Nicholls almost blew it against HBU. McNeese squeaked out a win v. SELA.

SHSU and UCA won big as expected.

NWST beat ACU....

McNeese75
November 4th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Everything seemed to go as expected today in the Southland. But not without some drama. Nicholls almost blew it against HBU. McNeese squeaked out a win v. SELA.

SHSU and UCA won big as expected.

NWST beat ACU....

Yep, McNeese squeaked out the win by the same point spread as SHSU beat them last week. And held them to half the rushing yards and less passing yards than the Kats. All that matters is it is a W as the Pokes struggle to beat the Lions in close games. But tonight, The Lion Sleeps.

BEAR
November 4th, 2017, 10:11 PM
Good weekend for the favorites in those games.

Good to see our first stringers get to sit out most of the second half and we still get 560 yards and 42 points holding the Cardinals to just 26 yards rushing.

Off topic: I was really hoping Coastal Carolina would have beaten uaf. Huck the fogs.

Hood
November 4th, 2017, 10:44 PM
That Nicholls game was enough to drive a man to drinking, if he wasn't already drinking.