PDA

View Full Version : Selection Committee 10 Ten Poll Dropping 11/1/2017

WestCoastAggie
October 26th, 2017, 02:50 PM
CORRECTION:

Yep...

Our fabulous FCS Selection Committee will be releasing their first top 10 poll November 2nd at 7PM on ESPNU.

xrotatehx

https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/923598774441775104 (https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/923598774441775104)

one_armed_man
October 26th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Well, I have more faith in their rankings than I do the coaches poll.

katss07
October 26th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Awesome! Hope to see the Kats in the top 10. Wish they would release a Top 25 to give us a better idea about playoff teams, but I guess it night before Selection Sunday more fun.

Schism55
October 26th, 2017, 07:49 PM
This should be good for a few laughs.
Make sure to have your snacks and libations of choice on hand xdrunkyx

POD Knows
October 27th, 2017, 07:47 AM
We should have a pick'em on here to see how close we get to this.

SonuvaHenx2
October 27th, 2017, 07:54 AM
You mean kind of like the AGS Poll?

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2017, 08:01 AM
We should have a pick'em on here to s6ee how close we get to this.
Here's my prediction for them (pending what happens this weekend):

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. UCA
4. NDSU
5. SHSU
6. NC A&T
7. Elon
8. Wofford
9. USD
10. Samford

NDB
October 27th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Would love for NC A&T to get bye, then lose by 60 to an MVFC team at home.

POD Knows
October 27th, 2017, 08:53 AM
You mean kind of like the AGS Poll?I doubt that this thing will resemble the AGS poll but I could be wrong. I am sure they will have NCAT in the top ten,

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Most importantly, it'll reflect what the playoff bracket will likely look at.

I bet it would more closely resemble the AGS poll than the computer rankings. The AD's won't be trolling message boards but they know a thing or two about FCS football, will have access to the computer rankings, etc etc

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Most importantly, it'll reflect what the playoff bracket will likely look at.

I bet it would more closely resemble the AGS poll than the computer rankings. The AD's won't be trolling message boards but they know a thing or two about FCS football, will have access to the computer rankings, etc etc
You must've not been around last year when the first rankings came out. They much more closely resembled the STATS and Coaches poll. Then as the 2nd set of rankings and eventually the final bracket came out they trended more towards where the AGS poll was. The selection committee chair said that prior to the first vote there was virtually no discussion amongst the committee members themselves about ranking the teams, each committee member just had teleconferences with their respective regional advisory committees (which only pay attention to teams in a certain geographic region) and then had an anonymous vote after that. Maybe this year there will be a little more effort put into it before they release their first rankings but I won't hold my breath.

It was an interesting case study last year though. No discussion prior to releasing their first rankings led to them to look more like the STATS and Coaches polls. Actually having a dialogue to compare and contrast teams prior to the 2nd set of rankings and the final bracket led to them looking more like the AGS poll. Hmmmm..... xchinscratchx

RootinFerDukes
October 27th, 2017, 09:19 AM

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. UCA
4. NDSU
5. SHSU
6. NC A&T
7. Elon
8. Wofford
9. USD
10. Samford

So you're calling for an NDSU loss this weekend? Even then, I don't think they'll fall to 4th when compared to JSU or UCA.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2017, 09:30 AM
So you're calling for an NDSU loss this weekend? Even then, I don't think they'll fall to 4th when compared to JSU or UCA.
I'm just being cynical about how underrated I thought NDSU was last year when the committee's first rankings came out. Of course last year they had the excuse of a recent loss (which the selection committee chair used) to drop them in the first rankings. If they lose to UNI this Sunday I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop further than #4 in the committee ranks... as long as they put the same amount of effort into the first set of rankings this year as they did last year.

jmufan999
October 27th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I'm just being cynical about how underrated I thought NDSU was last year when the committee's first rankings came out. Of course last year they had the excuse of a recent loss (which the selection committee chair used) to drop them in the first rankings. If they lose to UNI this Sunday I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop further than #4 in the committee ranks... as long as they put the same amount of effort into the first set of rankings this year as they did last year.

I think they put more effort into it than they let on. The only reason they started releasing them was to get buzz going, and putting NDSU down as far as they were certainly accomplished that. I think there will be surprises this year, too, and the sole purpose is just to piss off a few people and get us all talking.

Professor Chaos
October 27th, 2017, 09:53 AM
I think they put more effort into it than they let on. The only reason they started releasing them was to get buzz going, and putting NDSU down as far as they were certainly accomplished that. I think there will be surprises this year, too, and the sole purpose is just to piss off a few people and get us all talking.
Yeah, the conspiracy theorist in me thought for a moment that they put NDSU at #4 in their first ranking last year just to stir the pot of the most stirrable fan base in the FCS but I don't think they have enough organization to do that.

In all honesty I don't think it'll be NDSU this year (unless they lose on Saturday) but it will be somebody (or two) that'll have a legit beef I think because these initial rankings are going to be very "rough around the edges".

JSUSoutherner
October 27th, 2017, 10:22 AM

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. UCA
4. NDSU
5. SHSU
6. NC A&T
7. Elon
8. Wofford
9. USD
10. Samford
Not sure about us being higher than 4. Even with an NDSU loss.

Redbird 4th & short
October 28th, 2017, 10:38 AM
i agree they probably wanted the buzz .. but I think larger reason was to hear the criticisms, so they could look into it further, and still have time to make adjustments. I've been very critical of committee, though less so in recent years. But I give them lot of credit for this decision .. they're trying to avoid really stupid decisions. And with 3 games to play, they can start paying closer attention and get some feedback .. as opposed to just putting out list in a hurry after week 12, and then getting ripped to shreds with no ability to correct it.

And over the 3 week period, it even indirectly helps them figure the top 16-20 as he banter forces them to look closer at many teams outside of top 10 bubble over a 3 week period.

That said, if NC A&T is in top 10, I rescind everything I said above. Can we please get serious about this sh-t ??? They would finish 8th in MVFC and be so beat up by end of year, they would get worse as season progressed. With as deep as Colonial seems this year, same there.

katss07
October 28th, 2017, 10:47 AM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. JSU
4. UCA
5. USD
6. SHSU
7. NC A&T
8. ELON
9. Samford
10. Wofford

I don't like having NC A&T in the top 10 due to the fact that they will be in the celebration bowl, unless they lose a game surprisingly. But I guess having 10 teams in the poll we can just look down to number 9. Samford ahead of Wofford because of last weeks win.

Cocky
October 28th, 2017, 06:30 PM
1. NDSU
2. SD
3. SDSU
4. YSU
5. UNI
6. ISUr
7. SIU
8. ISUb
9. JMU
10. Mo St

BisonTru
October 28th, 2017, 06:32 PM
1. NDSU
2. SD
3. SDSU
4. YSU
5. UNI
6. ISUr
7. SIU
8. ISUb
9. JMU
10. Mo St

Sub WIU for JMU

TheKingpin28
October 28th, 2017, 06:32 PM
1. NDSU
2. SD
3. SDSU
4. YSU
5. UNI
6. ISUr
7. SIU
8. ISUb
9. JMU
10. Mo St

#NeedsMoarMVFC

X-Factor
October 28th, 2017, 07:01 PM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. NC A&T
4. Duquesne
5. JSU
6. C Ark
7. SHSU
8. McNeese
9. Woff

Cocky
October 28th, 2017, 07:21 PM
Sub WIU for JMU
Dang I did leave them out.

cx500d
October 28th, 2017, 07:51 PM
1. JMU
2. NDSU
3. NC A&T
4. Duquesne
5. JSU
6. C Ark
7. SHSU
8. McNeese
9. Woff

Really???

ST_Lawson
October 29th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Dang I did leave them out.

That's ok...everyone forgets us...even our own fans.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CMwP2HllWhs/hqdefault.jpg

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 09:06 PM
That's ok...everyone forgets us...even our own fans.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CMwP2HllWhs/hqdefault.jpg

Hey there, those of us in the MVFC care about you, as you help the SOS out. Just not that Sycamore62 guy, that guy, well he hates us all, so screw him. :D

ST_Lawson
October 29th, 2017, 09:12 PM
Hey there, those of us in the MVFC care about you, as you help the SOS out. Just not that Sycamore62 guy, that guy, well he hates us all, so screw him. :D

Well sure...but unfortunately 3-0 OOC with a FBS win doesn't always get you a spot in the playoffs. We need to get our crap figured out if we don't want to end up missing out like last year.

TheKingpin28
October 29th, 2017, 09:18 PM
Well sure...but unfortunately 3-0 OOC with a FBS win doesn't always get you a spot in the playoffs. We need to get our crap figured out if we don't want to end up missing out like last year.

If you go 7-4, which with the injury to SIU, there is no reason to believe you don't finish 2-1 and possibly 3-0 and get to 7-4 or 8-3. Plus, take into account that if NAU wins out, your win on the road against them, looks fantastic! The UNI win on the road, always looks good to the committee. If you keep the ISUr game close, that will go along ways as well. With how the rest of the FCS is shaping up, there is no way they leave a 7-4 Valley team at home with your resume. Hell, your SOS is a top 5 in FCS which will look amazing being 7-4/8-3.

DEX
October 29th, 2017, 09:25 PM
i agree they probably wanted the buzz .. but I think larger reason was to hear the criticisms, so they could look into it further, and still have time to make adjustments. I've been very critical of committee, though less so in recent years. But I give them lot of credit for this decision .. they're trying to avoid really stupid decisions. And with 3 games to play, they can start paying closer attention and get some feedback .. as opposed to just putting out list in a hurry after week 12, and then getting ripped to shreds with no ability to correct it.

And over the 3 week period, it even indirectly helps them figure the top 16-20 as he banter forces them to look closer at many teams outside of top 10 bubble over a 3 week period.

That said, if NC A&T is in top 10, I rescind everything I said above. Can we please get serious about this sh-t ??? They would finish 8th in MVFC and be so beat up by end of year, they would get worse as season progressed. With as deep as Colonial seems this year, same there.

Theoretically I think we'd finish anywhere from 5 - 8 in the MVFC, which isn't bad considering budget disparities. Admittedly a top 10 ranking is rather high for us but we're not going to apologize. While I'm not really a fan of the Celebration Bowl I will admit that it's probably the better post season option for us right now. Unfortunately playing in the MEAC just doesn't prepare us for the level of competition we'd see in the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Theoretically I think we'd finish anywhere from 5 - 8 in the MVFC, which isn't bad considering budget disparities. Admittedly a top 10 ranking is rather high for us but we're not going to apologize. While I'm not really a big fan of the Celebration Bowl I will admit that it's probably the better post season option for us right now. Unfortunately playing in the MEAC just doesn't prepare us for the level of competition we'd see in the playoffs.

BisonTru
October 29th, 2017, 11:32 PM
My Guess:
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota St
3. Central Arkansas
4. Jacksonville St
5. South Dakota
6. Elon
7. Northern Arizona
8. South Dakota st
9. Furman
10. Southern Utah

dewey
October 29th, 2017, 11:44 PM
My Guess:
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota St
3. Central Arkansas
4. Jacksonville St
5. South Dakota
6. Elon
7. Northern Arizona
8. South Dakota st
9. Furman
10. Southern Utah

Good list. It will be interesting to see how the committee ranks USD and JSU. Does zero FCS losses hold more appeal than USD's wins over FBS Bowling Green (I know they are not good but still FBS) and win over top 15 Western Illinois? Also what about Central Arkansas? They beat a top 10 SHSU but no one else.

JSU has

X-Factor
October 29th, 2017, 11:55 PM
Really???
Nope, but with how much effort the committee put in last year I’m just venting that nothing would surprise me, including A&T (or other weak conference teams) being grossly overrated. I’m optimistic they realized the **** show that was their initial rankings, and will try harder this go around. In my opinion they need to computerize this more to avoid biases (recency bias, confirmation bias, familiarity, etc).

The one poll that gets way more cred than it deserves is the coaches. It may make sense to an outsider that the coaches would be best since they know the game, but in fact those voters quite possible know the least about the other FCS schools and how to rank them. I mention this because the committee obviously looks at it, but they shouldn’t. The coaches poll is as bad for FCS rankings as the Dow Jones Industrial Index is for gauging the stock market, which for some dumb reason is still popular with the media and layman investors despite its complete irrelevance as any sort of index.

katss07
October 30th, 2017, 06:55 AM
My Guess:
1. James Madison
2. North Dakota St
3. Central Arkansas
4. Jacksonville St
5. South Dakota
6. Elon
7. Northern Arizona
8. South Dakota st
9. Furman
10. Southern Utah

No Sam Houston State? If the committee puts not effort into this poll, then the Kats will surely be in the top 3. Or is this your own top 10...

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Theoretically I think we'd finish anywhere from 5 - 8 in the MVFC, which isn't bad considering budget disparities. Admittedly a top 10 ranking is rather high for us but we're not going to apologize. While I'm not really a fan of the Celebration Bowl I will admit that it's probably the better post season option for us right now. Unfortunately playing in the MEAC just doesn't prepare us for the level of competition we'd see in the playoffs.

- - - Updated - - -

Theoretically I think we'd finish anywhere from 5 - 8 in the MVFC, which isn't bad considering budget disparities. Admittedly a top 10 ranking is rather high for us but we're not going to apologize. While I'm not really a big fan of the Celebration Bowl I will admit that it's probably the better post season option for us right now. Unfortunately playing in the MEAC just doesn't prepare us for the level of competition we'd see in the playoffs.

No, we wouldn't. We have the linemen to compete. We would be in the top 4 this year.

WestCoastAggie
October 30th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Some of y'all need to encourage your schools to come to Lindsay and Sullivan street (Aggie Stadium) once and for all. We aren't scared and play up to our competition.

But I digress...

MR. CHICKEN
October 30th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Good list. It will be interesting to see how the committee ranks USD and JSU. Does zero FCS losses hold more appeal than USD's wins over FBS Bowling Green (I know they are not good but still FBS) and win over top 15 Western Illinois? Also what about Central Arkansas? They beat a top 10 SHSU but no one else.

JSU has

.....UH....RANKED.......MCNEESE STATE.......AWK!

dewey
October 30th, 2017, 07:31 AM
.....UH....RANKED.......MCNEESE STATE.......AWK!Ah. You are correct Mr Chicken.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BEAR
October 30th, 2017, 07:59 AM
.....UH....RANKED.......MCNEESE STATE.......AWK!

...and will have run off 10 straight wins after a loss to #18 FBS Kansas State the first game of the year.

And yes I HATE our 9 game conference schedule. And yes I want UCA to play higher rated teams in the FCS. Sadly we have Murray State coming to Conway next year and Tulsa on the road....which doesn't help much. xlolxxbawlingx

Bison56
October 30th, 2017, 08:50 AM
No Sam Houston State? If the committee puts not effort into this poll, then the Kats will surely be in the top 3. Or is this your own top 10...
What?xconfusedx

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2017, 08:58 AM
...and will have run off 10 straight wins after a loss to #18 FBS Kansas State the first game of the year.

And yes I HATE our 9 game conference schedule. And yes I want UCA to play higher rated teams in the FCS. Sadly we have Murray State coming to Conway next year and Tulsa on the road....which doesn't help much. xlolxxbawlingx
I think UCA this year will have an advantage over SHSU last year because the SLC is a bit stronger in '17 than it was in '16 (at least from my perspective). In '16 after UCA and SDSU there was a decent SELA team (who wasn't even sniffing the top 25) and that was it. This year both McNeese and Nicholls are fringe top 25 teams and SELA is still decent. I think that'll help UCA get a higher seed this year than what SHSU got last year.

Professor
October 30th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Would love for NC A&T to get bye, then lose by 60 to an MVFC team at home.

Won't happen. We will be in Atlanta on Dec. 16th. Enjoy the playoffs

katss07
October 30th, 2017, 11:08 AM
I think UCA this year will have an advantage over SHSU last year because the SLC is a bit stronger in '17 than it was in '16 (at least from my perspective). In '16 after UCA and SDSU there was a decent SELA team (who wasn't even sniffing the top 25) and that was it. This year both McNeese and Nicholls are fringe top 25 teams and SELA is still decent. I think that'll help UCA get a higher seed this year than what SHSU got last year.

Overall, both teams are in much better position. UCA is a great team, and in most projections I see they are ranked fourth. SHSU has played a better schedule than last season, and with one loss, are in good position as well. Most projections have them at 6. And if the Kats went undefeated last season and lose 1 game this season and only move down a spot, thats great for the SLC. Nicholls should be in as well (if they win out)

BEAR
October 30th, 2017, 11:24 AM

I think its pretty good of UCA to go 10-3 last year and likely 10-1 at season end this year with two top 25 wins. While I know the SLC isn't strong it really has gotten better. I don't think anyone picked UCA to beat #18 FBS Kansas State. I know very few picked UCA to beat #3 FCS SHSU that was averaging 50+ points per game and like 500+ total yards per game. UCA has improved over last year and they hung with EWU in the second round. Big difference this year? UCA doesn't have just ONE defensive player that is getting all the stats OR just one or two receivers getting all the stats...they look more complete with multiple players getting it done. Even if the Bears don't win it all, they really are a top ten FCS team...legitimately.

Serpentor
October 30th, 2017, 11:46 AM

The Jackrabbits must have been slumming coming down to the SLC...

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2017, 12:43 PM
The Jackrabbits must have been slumming coming down to the SLC...
They are known to do that.... they even call their homecoming "hobo days" where they all dress up like bums.

Serpentor
October 30th, 2017, 03:36 PM
They are known to do that.... they even call their homecoming "hobo days" where they all dress up like bums.

Sounds like cultural appropriation to me. Expect The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight to produce videos with epic finger wagging at this insensitivity to bum culture.

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2017, 04:43 PM

The good news is, we all know this is some weak trolling.

TheKingpin28
October 30th, 2017, 04:44 PM
Sounds like cultural appropriation to me. Expect The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight to produce videos with epic finger wagging at this insensitivity to bum culture.

Making fun of Vermintown is a little harsh, yet, they strive to be equals, so at least they are trying to look attractive to the cows, I mean cheerleaders.

BisonTru
October 30th, 2017, 05:34 PM
If the committee puts not effort into this poll, then the Kats will surely be in the top 3.

I'm not sure if I want to agree with you or not. Yes, if the committee puts no effort the Kats may be in the top 10. I agree, I think. xdontknowx

POD Knows
October 30th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Sounds like cultural appropriation to me. Expect The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight to produce videos with epic finger wagging at this insensitivity to bum culture.SDSU grads aspire to be bums and actually, if they achieve that status, it is counted as job placement on their stats.

ST_Lawson
October 30th, 2017, 08:30 PM
No, we wouldn't. We have the linemen to compete. We would be in the top 4 this year.

As a Bears fan...

https://media.makeameme.org/created/yall-got-anymore-59f7d1.jpg

one_armed_man
October 31st, 2017, 02:52 AM

JSU has

I honestly think that SHSU will get a higher seed than UCA. I'm guessing they'll end up with a 4 or 5 seed and UCA will have to settle for a 6 or 7.

Thumper 76
October 31st, 2017, 03:12 AM

I mean, I know of a bison fan or two who are actually indignant about this because it “makes fun of hobos”. So there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dewey
October 31st, 2017, 06:35 AM
I honestly think that SHSU will get a higher seed than UCA. I'm guessing they'll end up with a 4 or 5 seed and UCA will have to settle for a 6 or 7.If UCA finishes the rest of the season with only the Kansas State loss IMHO there is no way SHSU will jump them. As much as we rip on the lmagoff selection commmittiee there final playoff rankings were pretty good.

UCA would have no FCS losses and a very good head to head win over SHSU.

I think there is a very strong argument for them being the #3 seed. Assuming JMU and NDSU both finish undefeated.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 09:59 AM

JSU has

Honestly considering what we saw last year with these early committee polls in expecting something along the lines of what we see in the coaches/STATS poll.

I don't know if they get together and discuss anything for these or if they just submit a ballot.

katss07
October 31st, 2017, 04:03 PM
I honestly think that SHSU will get a higher seed than UCA. I'm guessing they'll end up with a 4 or 5 seed and UCA will have to settle for a 6 or 7.
Huh? Yall beat us head to head, unless UCA slips up, no way your behind us! I would expect to be two or three spots behind UCA. Sam should be a 6 or 7 seed, not UCA. Can't see us jumping you. I guess we will see tomorrow night though.

Professor Chaos
October 31st, 2017, 04:34 PM
Huh? Yall beat us head to head, unless UCA slips up, no way your behind us! I would expect to be two or three spots behind UCA. Sam should be a 6 or 7 seed, not UCA. Can't see us jumping you. I guess we will see tomorrow night though.
Probably won't be the last time it'll be repeated in this thread but the initial rankings will be revealed at halftime of the Idaho/Troy game on ESPNU on November 2nd, not tomorrow. There was a typo in the thread title. The game starts at 9:15PM ET so it probably won't be until roughly 10:30PM ET or after that they'll be out there for us to pick apart and rant about.

Schism55
October 31st, 2017, 04:37 PM
Chances SHSU is #1? :D

grizband
October 31st, 2017, 06:45 PM
Chances SHSU is #1? :D
-1 xrotatehx

Thundar
October 31st, 2017, 07:49 PM
CFP poll has Georgia 1 not Bama

Hmmm....

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 08:29 PM
CFP poll has Georgia 1 not Bama

Hmmm....

Not exactly the place to discuss it, but UGA has a win over #3 Notre Dame. Alabama has a win over Colorado.

BEAR
October 31st, 2017, 08:39 PM
Not exactly the place to discuss it, but UGA has a win over #3 Notre Dame. Alabama has a win over Colorado.

Bama can't help the fact it's schedule is already made.
Bama cant help the fact that 99% of the teams it plays, well are inferior. I mean they play 3 win teams like pig u.
The NFL is looking to expand and wants Alabama.

JSUSoutherner
October 31st, 2017, 08:46 PM
Bama cant help the fact that 99% of the teams it plays, well are inferior. I mean they play 3 win teams like pig u.
So wait. Does that mean we can make A&T number 1 because they've been on a cupcake binge?

Extreme example but I'm not sure that you can clear cut say Alabama is better then UGA when Bama hasn't had to play anyone of worth.

It doesn't really matter anyway. It will be settled in Atlanta.

gofurman
November 1st, 2017, 12:07 AM
You must've not been around last year when the first rankings came out. They much more closely resembled the STATS and Coaches poll. Then as the 2nd set of rankings and eventually the final bracket came out they trended more towards where the AGS poll was. The selection committee chair said that prior to the first vote there was virtually no discussion amongst the committee members themselves about ranking the teams, each committee member just had teleconferences with their respective regional advisory committees (which only pay attention to teams in a certain geographic region) and then had an anonymous vote after that. Maybe this year there will be a little more effort put into it before they release their first rankings but I won't hold my breath.

It was an interesting case study last year though. No discussion prior to releasing their first rankings led to them to look more like the STATS and Coaches polls. Actually having a dialogue to compare and contrast teams prior to the 2nd set of rankings and the final bracket led to them looking more like the AGS poll. Hmmmm..... xchinscratchx

As a Furman fan) my concern is does the final selection basically reflect the AGS poll? I know the committee isn't looking at AGS but does AGS poll get it pretty close in terms of top 25 to who is selected for the playoff? (Given auto bids etc I understand).

ST_Lawson
November 1st, 2017, 12:23 AM
[/B]
As a Furman fan) my concern is does the final selection basically reflect the AGS poll? I know the committee isn't looking at AGS but does AGS poll get it pretty close in terms of top 25 to who is selected for the playoff? (Given auto bids etc I understand).

In the past, yes, it has generally been the best (or one of the best...other people probably have the exact data/numbers) predictors of who will be awarded the at-large bids. The voters here do generally get pretty darn close...not saying it'll happen that way this year, but historically, that has been the case.

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2017, 06:25 AM
[/B]
Last year AGS nailed the seeds in order with the exception of switching around UND (ranked 8th in the AGS poll and seeded #7) and SDSU (ranked 7th in the AGS poll and seeded #8). It also nailed all 14 at large bids.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?189184-AGS-Poll-Results-WEEK-12-11-20-2016-SELECTION-SUNDAY

To be fair the STATS poll also nailed all 14 at large teams (Coaches poll did not) and had the same top 8 teams but the order was way out of whack compared to what the seed lines and the AGS top 8 were.

walliver
November 1st, 2017, 08:08 AM

Despite what the talking heads seem to assume, I believe the CFP will treat the SEC championship as a first round playoff game, and only 1 SEC team will get in.

Bisonator
November 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM
So whens this list come out? I can't wait.....xcoffeex

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2017, 08:55 AM
So whens this list come out? I can't wait.....xcoffeex
Tomorrow night at halftime of the Idaho/Troy game. Game starts at 8:15PM CT on ESPNU so I'd guess the rankings would be released sometime between 9:30-10PM CT depending on how quick the 1st half goes.

Bisonator
November 1st, 2017, 09:07 AM
Tomorrow night at halftime of the Idaho/Troy game. Game starts at 8:15PM CT on ESPNU so I'd guess the rankings would be released sometime between 9:30-10PM CT depending on how quick the 1st half goes.
WTF someone change the ****ing title of this thread!

McNeese75
November 1st, 2017, 09:08 AM
WTF someone change the ****ing title of this thread!

xlolx xthumbsupx

walliver
November 1st, 2017, 09:10 AM

The second round will be announced at halftime of the Georgia Southern - App State game. Neither of which will make the playoffs.

Yotes21
November 1st, 2017, 09:10 AM
I can almost garauntee this Top Ten by the committee is going to be dog poop.

Bisonator
November 1st, 2017, 09:12 AM
That's what makes it so exciting!xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 1st, 2017, 09:21 AM
They get out what they put in. By the selection committee chair's own admission last year there was no conversation amongst the committee members themselves about the merits of the top 10 teams in relation to each other prior to the first vote (which they formulated the rankings from using the same anonymous voting process as the AGS poll). All they did was talk to their respective regional subcommittees. There's 2 committee members for each region and those members have weekly teleconferences with their respective regional subcommittees where they only talk about teams in their own particular region.

Maybe the criticism the chair took last year has taught him/them that perhaps they should have a teleconference as a selection committee to chat about things a bit before they vote and put that first set of rankings out? I wouldn't bet my house on it but it's possible this year they put a little more effort into this first ranking and do a little better.

WileECoyote06
November 1st, 2017, 10:36 AM
Won't happen. We will be in Atlanta on Dec. 16th. Enjoy the playoffs

Nah son. Enjoy your first round game at Elon. xsmiley_wix

Redbird 4th & short
November 1st, 2017, 12:31 PM
They get out what they put in. By the selection committee chair's own admission last year there was no conversation amongst the committee members themselves about the merits of the top 10 teams in relation to each other prior to the first vote (which they formulated the rankings from using the same anonymous voting process as the AGS poll). All they did was talk to their respective regional subcommittees. There's 2 committee members for each region and those members have weekly teleconferences with their respective regional subcommittees where they only talk about teams in their own particular region.

Maybe the criticism the chair took last year has taught him/them that perhaps they should have a teleconference as a selection committee to chat about things a bit before they vote and put that first set of rankings out? I wouldn't bet my house on it but it's possible this year they put a little more effort into this first ranking and do a little better.

that would be far too logical and productive ... why not prepare and communicate as little as humanly possible, then struggle to clean up the mess later ?

p.s. still very glad they are doing this with 3 games left in season .. light of day and scrutiny can only help

dbackjon
November 1st, 2017, 12:53 PM

So Alabama was forced to schedule home games against Fresno, Colorado STATE and Mercer?

WestCoastAggie
November 1st, 2017, 01:04 PM
Nah son. Enjoy your first round game at Elon. xsmiley_wix

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/james-harden-gif-1.gif

katss07
November 2nd, 2017, 06:08 PM
Will there be a separate thread discussing tonights rankings?

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 06:11 PM
Will there be a separate thread discussing tonights rankings?

Someone will post it and if it is anything like last year, AGS will go crazy.

katss07
November 2nd, 2017, 06:22 PM
Someone will post it and if it is anything like last year, AGS will go crazy.

Last year's thread was funny, and crazy! As a Sam fan, I really enjoyed it.

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 06:26 PM
Last year's thread was funny, and crazy! As a Sam fan, I really enjoyed it.

As a fan of rational thoughts, I did not.

BisonFan02
November 2nd, 2017, 06:48 PM
Do I seriously have to watch G5 football for this ****? xlolx

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 06:49 PM

You're not about that Slum Belt lifestyle?

BisonFan02
November 2nd, 2017, 06:50 PM
You're not about that Slum Belt lifestyle?

Sure.......Big Sky Idaho and a Troy team NDSU owes a rematch from the DII days? Yup........"true D1"

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 06:53 PM
Sure.......Big Sky Idaho and a Troy team NDSU owes a rematch from the DII days? Yup........"true D1"

I will just turn it to ESPNU around 930pm or so and go from there. Also, this shows how much the FCS gets respect. Put it in the middle of a G5 game and give the big boys their own show. It's all about the $$$

ElCid
November 2nd, 2017, 07:00 PM

OMG that was my exact feeling. I will wait for the post. Just can't bring myself to watch that.

BisonFan02
November 2nd, 2017, 07:05 PM
OMG that was my exact feeling. I will wait for the post. Just can't bring myself to watch that.

Its sad. The MACtion on right now looks like MVFC football but half a step slower. xlolx

ElCid
November 2nd, 2017, 07:18 PM
Is it the halftime of the Idaho game? If so, that is like 1040 EDT. I can't stay up and see everyone complaining for hours.xlolx I need my beauty sleep.

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 07:24 PM
Is it the halftime of the Idaho game? If so, that is like 1040 EDT. I can't stay up and see everyone complaining for hours.xlolx I need my beauty sleep.

Beauty or just sleep? :D

ElCid
November 2nd, 2017, 07:56 PM
Beauty or just sleep? :D

Well, my wife is at home and I am in Charleston. So....yup, sleep. Drat.

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 07:59 PM
Well, my wife is at home and I am in Charleston. So....yup, sleep. Drat.

I need 7hrs every night or I am just unpleasant the next day.

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2017, 08:19 PM
I need 7hrs every night or I am just unpleasant the next day.

Age will fix that problem

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 08:30 PM
Age will fix that problem

That would require me to get old.

Schism55
November 2nd, 2017, 08:32 PM
Father Time is undefeated last I checked xcoffeex

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 08:35 PM
Father Time is undefeated last I checked xcoffeex

I am hoping I get to be Mr. Nobody.

caribbeanhen
November 2nd, 2017, 08:36 PM

yes, which is better than the alternative

cx500d
November 2nd, 2017, 08:40 PM
yes, which is better than the alternative

Pushing up daisies?

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2017, 08:41 PM
Did this ever come out? Didn’t see much discussion about it

BisonFan02
November 2nd, 2017, 08:42 PM

We're waiting.....two powers of the gridiron have to waddle their way through a half of football first.

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 08:43 PM

Still have 1Q to go in the Idaho V Troy game to go. They are doing it at halftime on ESPNU

katss07
November 2nd, 2017, 08:47 PM

Date on title is wrong. Comes out in an hour or so at the half of Idaho vs Troy. ESPNU

BisonFan02
November 2nd, 2017, 08:48 PM
Still have 1Q to go in the Idaho V Troy game to go. They are doing it at halftime on ESPNU

It'll be JMU at 1...NDSU at 2....and magically the 3, 6, and 7 seeds will be better teams than the 4, 5, and 8 east coast round robin. xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 2nd, 2017, 08:51 PM
Oh joy... we get Jay Walker doing color for the Idaho/Troy game as well!

Schism55
November 2nd, 2017, 08:53 PM
Yeah moved game to my kindle fire on mute when I heard him >.>

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 08:54 PM
It'll be JMU at 1...NDSU at 2....and magically the 4, 5, and 8 seeds will be better teams than the 3, 6, and 7 east coast round robin. xlolx

Nothing surprises me with these "polls" / "position rankings" after the first time they did it. I would expect it to look like this though since we all know that the East Coast voters would hate to have to face equal competition until at least the quarterfinals.

This is how I would break it out:

NDSU
JMU
JSU
UCA
USeD
Elon
SHSU
Wofford
SDSU
NAU

This is how I see it breaking out:

JMU
NDSU
JSU
UCA
SHSU
USeD
Elon
Wofford
NCAT
SDSU

TheKingpin28
November 2nd, 2017, 08:55 PM

Yep, not worth watching for it anymore. Thank you for saving me from hearing about how he will eventually mention how the Celebration Bowl is the TRUE D1 Championship.

Bison56
November 2nd, 2017, 08:57 PM

As soon as I heard his voice I had to turn it.

katss07
November 2nd, 2017, 08:57 PM
Jay is better than Mac Brown.

It would be one thing if this was a fun, high scoring, Thursday Night matchup. But no! This is boring ****!

Cocky
November 2nd, 2017, 08:58 PM
The final seedings will be to the NCAAs advantage not sure on this weeks.

cx500d
November 2nd, 2017, 08:59 PM
Jay is better than Mac Brown.

It would be one thing if this was a fun, high scoring, Thursday Night matchup. But no! This is boring ****!

bull****...Anybody schooled by Darrell Mudra like Mack Brown was is superior to this hack

BisonTru
November 2nd, 2017, 09:00 PM
Someone should start a new thread with the results when they come out.

katss07
November 2nd, 2017, 09:01 PM
I just can't deal with Mack Brown's voice. Jay's voice doesn't bother me, its the crap he talks about.

cx500d
November 2nd, 2017, 09:02 PM

Probably should tack it onto the thread about frozen pizza

Schism55
November 2nd, 2017, 09:02 PM

We should..lots of watching it looks like...should settle on one person to start thread/post rankings to avoid a multiple thread **** show.

JSUSoutherner
November 2nd, 2017, 09:04 PM
Someone should FaceTime me so I can watch too. I don't get ESPNU.

Bisonoline
November 2nd, 2017, 09:13 PM

Oh great another rehash of when""" I played in the league"""

BisonTru
November 2nd, 2017, 09:13 PM
We should..lots of watching it looks like...should settle on one person to start thread/post rankings to avoid a multiple thread **** show.

I started a thread. Someone else should post the results as I'm not watching. Multiple people can post it if we just avoid multiple threads.

Schism55
November 2nd, 2017, 09:40 PM
I started a thread. Someone else should post the results as I'm not watching. Multiple people can post it if we just avoid multiple threads.
Well done.
You sir, are a top man.
A.
Top.
Man.

cx500d
November 2nd, 2017, 09:54 PM
Well done.
You sir, are a top man.
A.
Top.
Man.