PDA

View Full Version : CAA size

ChickenMan
February 9th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Is twelve schools too many...should the league reduce?

89Hen
February 9th, 2007, 12:09 PM
:confused: Are you talking about now, or with the possible addition of ODU and/or GSU?

IMO 12 is fine for now, but 13 or 14 won't be fine.

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 12:10 PM
12 is fine...

It does not provide a legit conference title winner in years that the top two tie and have never played and even opens the way for tri-champions, which is not ideal.

As long as CAA protects the rivalries (I know I'd be upset if SHSU didn't play TXST and SFA yearly) and comes up with a good rotation as it relates to the schedule, it's not a big deal...

andy7171
February 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
12 is fine.
I think its the limit though.

ChickenMan
February 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I know that some FCS fans have been critical of the A10/CAA for being so large and playing an unbalanced schedule... but the question really is posed to CAA fans.

I like the current set up very much... great competition and nice road trips both into New England and Virginia.

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I know that some FCS fans have been critical of the A10/CAA for being so large and playing an unbalanced schedule... but the question really is posed to CAA fans.

There's unbalanced schedules in several FBS conferences. While some of them do have title games, they typically have provided rematches (the problem with the SWAC Championship Game as well), which are not ideal. I never hear criticism about the Big 10 (aka Big 11) without title games and an unbalanced schedule..

Col Hogan
February 9th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I think the current set-up is fine...maybe not ideal, but it does provide outstanding football. I look forward to playing all the CAA north teams, especially UNH and Maine...and CAA south always provides tough play...wish we could play UD and JMU each year.

Can it be improved...YES. Growing is not the answer...but I'm open to other ideas.

SunCoastBlueHen
February 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I agree with the others - 12 is fine, any more would be too many. I would hate having our three game OOC schedule potentially reduced to two.

Chickenman - there is a renewed optimism in Henville these days - time to remove the bag?

ChickenMan
February 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Chickenman - there is a renewed optimism in Henville these days - time to remove the bag?

as the old song says... 'I'll see (you) in September'... :D

PapaBear
February 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM
It's not just the number of teams that I like, but the geographical spread. The conference has more of a national feel to it than, say, the old Yankee conference must have had, with most/all teams located in New England.

Expansion, in my view, almost guarantees that the conference would split into two separate leagues.

It ain't broke. Leave it the frig alone.:mad:

UNHWildCats
February 9th, 2007, 12:44 PM
When Old Dominion and if Georgia State start football the best scenrio is probably a 2 conference split

CAA being

Hofstra
Old Dominion
William & Mary
Towson
Northeastern
Georgia State
James Madison
Delaware

and then begin an American East conference with

Albany
Maine
New Hampshire
Stony Brook
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Villanova
Richmond

That would leave both with 8 teams though I suppose Richmond would stay in the CAA giving them 9 teams if Georgia State does bring in football. The AE could then try recruiting Monmouth or Central Conneticut to make an even 8 teams both conference would be very good and they would have to add an auto bid because both would deserve one.

UNHWildCats
February 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM
It's not just the number of teams that I like, but the geographical spread. The conference has more of a national feel to it than, say, the old Yankee conference must have had, with most/all teams located in New England.

Expansion, in my view, almost guarantees that the conference would split into two separate leagues.

It ain't broke. Leave it the frig alone.:mad:

Ya but if CAA schools add the sport they have the right to play in that conference right? you really cant stop them can you?

saint0917
February 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
:confused: Are you talking about now, or with the possible addition of ODU and/or GSU?

IMO 12 is fine for now, but 13 or 14 won't be fine.

I agree, 12 is o.k., 13 or 14 will be to many. :twocents:

th0m
February 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM
12 is fine. I mean, it's not perfect, but is there a better solution? Of course, ODU will screw all of this up.

lizrdgizrd
February 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
9 is a much better number. But it's not my conference so get as many teams as you want!

UNHWildCats
February 9th, 2007, 01:56 PM
9 is a much better number. But it's not my conference so get as many teams as you want!

I think 8 is a great number because it gives teams 4 OOC games which is especially good if your team has a yearly game such as UNH vs Dartmouth. If a 12th game is approved then yea i could live with a 9 team conference

henfan
February 9th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Size doesn't matter... or at least my wife tells me so. More than 8, less than 20 is fine by me.:nod: I could care less otherwise. It doesn't impact my enjoyment one way or the other.

No matter how many teams are involved in your conference, you still have got to win at least 8 D-I games to have a realistic shot at the playoffs. The larger the conference, the easier it generally is for schools to complete home schedules, especially schools in remote areas.

It's just good to be part of a single conference where UD can play all of its sports. I enjoy the rivalries with W&M, JMU, Hofstra, Nova, Drexel, and Towson, in particular. :thumbsup:

If I could keep things the same, I would. Alas, change is the only constant.

OL FU
February 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
If the question had been what is the perfect number for a conference I would say 9.

A specific conference is tough because then you get into who leaves and who stays?

aztecjim
February 9th, 2007, 03:44 PM
In the playoff divisions 9 is fine. Eight conference games,three OOC,then the playoffs. Any more teams and you run the risk of no real champion because two 8-0 teams didn't play each other. Conference championship games stink at any level. Plus if you do finish last,do you want to be the team that finished 9th or 12th? Or worse yet,16th like in the Big East basketball standings? I have suggested in the past the MEAC and SWAC add a couple schools and then re-align into three separate conferences. In most sports that would give three AQs in the playoffs instead of just two.

henfan
February 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I have suggested in the past the MEAC and SWAC add a couple schools and then re-align into three separate conferences. In most sports that would give three AQs in the playoffs instead of just two.

But that's the problem. D-I automatic qualifiers don't grow on trees, especially in basketball. What members of those conferences are going to volunteer to surrender their chances at AQs until the new conference satisfies its waiting period? It just isn't going to happen. New conferences just don't materialize out of thin air.

Besides, geography isn't always the most important element in conference alignments. In fact, sometimes it's down on the list.