Samford
Western Carolina

Southland
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston St
Nicholls St

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Looks pretty good to me. The Nicholls/Montana debate would really show whether the committee keeps an eye towards balancing the books for the championship since they'd have to know Montana bids big and draws big compared to everyone but especially to a team like Nicholls.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Nobowls bracket (http://nobowls.com/)

http://nobowls.com/images/week08.png

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 12:45 PM

5 of 6 MVFC teams in two 3 team pods wouldn't cause any complaints I bet. xlolx

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Looks pretty good to me. The Nicholls/Montana debate would really show whether the committee keeps an eye towards balancing the books for the championship since they'd have to know Montana bids big and draws big compared to everyone but especially to a team like Nicholls.

The debate kind of came down to Villanova vs. Montana. I decided either Nicholls or McNeese would get in and the other out. Since Nicholls has the head to head win, they got the nod. If I put Montana in, which I agree will be attractive with their crowd, that would put 5 Big Sky teams in and only 3 CAA teams.

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Nova-Lehigh is a repeat game. I guess OOC games can be repeated, but my guess would be Monmouth to Nova. Lehigh to Delaware if this played out. Lots of work to do from Nova’s side.

FargoBison
October 24th, 2017, 12:52 PM
My bracket...

Duquesne at Stony Brook vs 1. JMU
Lehigh at Delaware vs 8. Samford

EWU at McNeese State vs 5. SHSU
Kennesaw State at WIU vs 4. UCA

Western Carolina at Elon vs 3. JSU
SUU at SDSU vs 6. USD

Weber State at Illinois State vs 7. Wofford
San Diego at NAU vs 2. NDSU

Bubble: Montana, UNI, Furman, YSU, Nova, UNH, Nicholls State, Richmond, SIU

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 12:52 PM
The debate kind of came down to Villanova vs. Montana. I decided either Nicholls or McNeese would get in and the other out. Since Nicholls has the head to head win, they got the nod. If I put Montana in, which I agree will be attractive with their crowd, that would put 5 Big Sky teams in and only 3 CAA teams.
I guess if Nicholls is 9-2 they're safe no matter what. I'd agree that Villanova should be in over Montana if both are 7-4. Nova would have a win over either Elon or Delaware to get to 7-4 and assuming Montana would've lost to Weber St and NAU to get to 7-4 meaning the Griz would have zero quality wins. If Nicholls is 8-3 though... them or 7-4 Montana would be a good debate.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Nova-Lehigh is a repeat game. I guess OOC games can be repeated, but my guess would be Monmouth to Nova. Lehigh to Delaware if this played out. Lots of work to do from Nova’s side.

Like you said they wouldn't have to, but they might split it up like you said. You could split it up and send either matchup to JMU and the other to NDSU.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 12:56 PM
I'd say every bubble team out there needs to become a big Southeastern Louisiana fan from here on out. They finish with McNeese and Nicholls so they have a chance to weaken the bubble considerably if they pick up one or both of those games (although if they win both they'd be on the bubble themselves most likely).

Dukie95
October 24th, 2017, 01:03 PM
New Hampshire had a good run...

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2017, 01:07 PM
My bracket...

Duquesne at Stony Brook vs 1. JMU
Lehigh at Delaware vs 8. Samford

EWU at McNeese State vs 5. SHSU
Kennesaw State at WIU vs 4. UCA

Western Carolina at Elon vs 3. JSU
SUU at SDSU vs 6. USD

Weber State at Illinois State vs 7. Wofford
San Diego at NAU vs 2. NDSU

Bubble: Montana, UNI, Furman, YSU, Nova, UNH, Nicholls State, Richmond, SIU

One fix...if WIU vs Kennesaw State, game in Georgia.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 01:19 PM
This would be the bracket based off the AGS poll:

Duquesne
James Madison

Villanova

Wofford
Western Illinois

Illinois St

San Diego
Central Arkansas

Northern Arizona

Eastern Washington
South Dakota

South Dakota St

Southern Utah
Jacksonville St.

Samford

Western Carolina
Sam Houston St

McNeese St

Lehigh
Elon

Delaware

Monmouth
North Dakota St

Stony Brook

Autos
At larges

First four out
Northern Iowa

Big Sky
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Eastern Wash

Youngstown St

Big South
Monmouth

Richmond

CAA
James Madison
Elon
Delaware
Villanova
Stony Brook

Weber St

MVFC
North Dakota St
South Dakota
Western Illinois
South Dakota St
Illinois St

NEC
Duquesne

Next four out
Montana

OVC
Jacksonville St

New Hampshire

Patroit
Lehigh

Furman

Pioneer
San Diego

Nicholls St

Southern
Wofford
Samford
Western Carolina

Southland
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston
McNeese St

dbackjon
October 24th, 2017, 01:29 PM
This would be the bracket based off the AGS poll:

Duquesne
James Madison

Villanova

Wofford
Western Illinois

Illinois St

San Diego
Central Arkansas

Northern Iowa

Eastern Washington
South Dakota

South Dakota St

Southern Utah
Jacksonville St.

Samford

Western Carolina
Sam Houston St

McNeese St

Lehigh
Elon

Delaware

Monmouth
North Dakota St

Stony Brook

Autos
At larges

First four out
Northern Iowa

Big Sky
Northern Arizona
Southern Utah
Eastern Wash

Youngstown St

Big South
Monmouth

Richmond

CAA
James Madison
Elon
Delaware
Villanova
Stony Brook

Weber St

MVFC
North Dakota St
South Dakota
Western Illinois
South Dakota St
Illinois St

NEC
Duquesne

Next four out
Montana

OVC
Jacksonville St

New Hampshire

Patroit
Lehigh

Furman

Pioneer
San Diego

Nicholls St

Southern
Wofford
Samford
Western Carolina

Southland
Central Arkansas
Sam Houston
McNeese St

I assume you meant NAU playing San Diego, not UNI?

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I assume you meant NAU playing San Diego, not UNI?

Yep. I'll fix it.

RootinFerDukes
October 24th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Unless there is absolutely no other regional option, they will avoid Lehigh/Villanova in the 1st round since it's a rematch. I thought there's a no rematch rule in the 1st round only.

RootinFerDukes
October 24th, 2017, 02:22 PM
5 of 6 MVFC teams in two 3 team pods wouldn't cause any complaints I bet. xlolx

We can't assume any conference is going to get six until one does, just like the 6 win threshold. I don't believe in the 20 or 24 team field era, a conference has had more than 5 teams in.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 03:02 PM
We can't assume any conference is going to get six until one does, just like the 6 win threshold. I don't believe in the 20 or 24 team field era, a conference has had more than 5 teams in.
Yeah it won't happen, at least not this year. The only reason NoBowls projects it that way is because they set the bracket as if the playoffs started this week. Both the MVFC and the CAA would've probably had 6 teams in using that criteria at different points this year but as those conferences cannibalize each other they'll get pared down to 5 or 4 each.

grizband
October 24th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Yeah it won't happen, at least not this year. The only reason NoBowls projects it that way is because they set the bracket as if the playoffs started this week. Both the MVFC and the CAA would've probably had 6 teams in using that criteria at different points this year but as those conference cannibalize each other they'll get pared down to 5 or 4 each.
This scenario exists to some degree for the Big Sky as well. A potentially 3-4 team league this year, many of the top teams still play each other in the remaining 4 weeks of conference play.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 03:04 PM

We've had 3 6 D1 win teams in the playoffs and people still talk about 7 D1 wins as if it's a threshold.

6 D1 wins is the threshold and there is no threshold on any conference as far as how many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
October 24th, 2017, 03:08 PM
We've had 3 6 D1 win teams in the playoffs and people still talk about 7 D1 wins as if it's a threshold.

6 D1 wins is the threshold and there is no threshold on any conference as far as how many.

The MVFC has had two 6-5 teams while the Socon had one 7-4 with 6 D1 wins. 7-4 still looks better than 6-5 on paper. It's not exactly the same.

We can talk when a team outside of the MVFC gets in with a 6-5 record.

wcugrad95
October 24th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Unless there is absolutely no other regional option, they will avoid Lehigh/Villanova in the 1st round since it's a rematch. I thought there's a no rematch rule in the 1st round only.

I'll have to go read it again, but I ***thought*** that the 1st round (non-seeded teams) just wouldn't pitch conference members against each other for a rematch? Could be rematches in general, but I am pretty sure I saw the word "conference" in there.

RootinFerDukes
October 24th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I'll have to go read it again, but I ***thought*** that the 1st round (non-seeded teams) just wouldn't pitch conference members against each other for a rematch? Could be rematches in general, but I am pretty sure I saw the word "conference" in there.

I think it's conference members first but OOC rematches are also avoided second. If it forces an extra flight instead of a bus trip, then they'll disregard rematches altogether. It's all about saving the NCAA a buck.

Professor Chaos
October 24th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Yeah, they word it very specifically to create money saving loopholes. The stipulation is "no intra-conference rematches if it's both team's first playoff game". So OOC rematches are ok even in the first round and they can bracket it so 2nd round rematches are possible (or even guaranteed) because that is only the seeded team's first playoff game.

RootinFerDukes
October 24th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Yeah, they word it very specifically to create money saving loopholes. The stipulation is "no intra-conference rematches if it's both team's first playoff game". So OOC rematches are ok even in the first round and they can bracket it so 2nd round rematches are possible (or even guaranteed) because that is only the seeded team's first playoff game.

So there's nothing in the language that indicates they avoid ooc rematches in 1st round games?

nevadagriz
October 24th, 2017, 03:16 PM
The most costly Bye-week ever for Montana lol. Last week in all playoff brackets and in AGS top 25, took a week of and poof they disappear!

wcugrad95
October 24th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Here it is from the manual:

BRACKET PAIRINGS
All pairings will be made by the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee. The following principles are appliedwhen pairing teams:
1. The teams awarded the top eight seeds shall receive a bye in the first round and are placed in the appropriate positionsin the bracket (Nos. 1, 8, 4 and 5 in the upper half; and Nos. 2, 7, 3 and 6 in the lower half);
2. The remaining 16 teams will play first-round games and will be paired according to geographic proximity and thenplaced in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the top eight seeds previously placed in the bracket;
3. The NCAA mileage threshold for mandatory team travel via ground is 400 miles;
4. If a conference has four or more teams in the championship, the committee may allow an additional flight in the first orsecond round in order to avoid a conference having all of its teams on the same side of the bracket.
5. Regular season non-conference match-ups in the first round of the championship should be avoided, provided it doesnot create an additional flight(s).
6. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games (except for teams from the same conferencethat did not play against each other during the regular season; such teams may play each other in the first round);
7. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a seeded teammay play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round).

So spot-on - #5 says they want to avoid them unless it costs the NCAA a flight!

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 03:20 PM
So there's nothing in the language that indicates they avoid ooc rematches in 1st round games?

No there isn't.

Edit: NM looks like there is.

ST_Lawson
October 24th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Conference members who did not play each other in the regular season are all good for the first round though, just as a reminder.
Hence why the nobowls bracket can send Illinois State to Northern Iowa then have the winner play at our house...ILSU and UNI don't play each other in the regular season this year.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 04:16 PM

I decided to switch up my bracket as I think you have a point here.

X-Factor
October 24th, 2017, 08:07 PM

Oh god, please?! SHSU in the quarters, JSU for semis, all other Valleys on JMU side? This has got to be an April fools...

ngineer
October 24th, 2017, 08:14 PM

I agree. Nothing against 'nova, as I would love a rematch, but it's been too long not having played the Hens. We need to renew that series more frequently.

wcugrad95
October 24th, 2017, 08:42 PM

I am no geography major, but aren't there several airplane rides in this bracket?

Delaware/Wofford
EWU/SDSU
Southern Utah/Samford
Northern Arizona/San Diego

That is half the first round games costing the NCAA airfare - probably not going to happen. They'll fix games to avoid this :)

kalm
October 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I am no geography major, but aren't there several airplane rides in this bracket?

Delaware/Wofford
EWU/SDSU
Southern Utah/Samford

That is half the first round games costing the NCAA airfare - probably not going to happen. They'll fix games to avoid this :)

There are literally no bus rides when it comes to the BSC teams this year except maybe USD and NAU.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 08:46 PM

Delaware/Wofford
EWU/SDSU
Southern Utah/Samford

Who you going to bus to EWU, SUU, NAU, or USD?

wcugrad95
October 24th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Tongue-in-cheek with the comment about the NCAA "fixing" games to avoid (hence the smiley).

ngineer
October 24th, 2017, 09:03 PM
Heck, a few years ago didn't Wagner have to schlep out to EWU?

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2017, 11:21 PM
AQ:
Big South: Charleston So.
Big Sky: So. Utah
CAA: JMU
MVFC: NDSU
NEC: Duquesne
OVC: Jacksonville St.
Pioneer: San Diego
Patriot: Lehigh
Southern: Samford
Southland: Central Arkansas

At-Large:
South Dakota
Western Illinois
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Weber State
Villanova
Delaware
Elon
Western Carolina
Wofford
Sam Houston State
McNeese State

First Four Out:
Stony Brook
Nicholls State
Kennesaw State
Montana

Brackets:

Samford/Villanova vs. #1 JMU
Elon/Western Carolina vs. #8 Western Illinois

San Diego/Eastern Washington vs. #5 South Dakota
McNeese State/Northern Iowa vs. #4 Central Arkansas

Lehigh/Delaware vs. #6 Sam Houston State
Charleston So./Wofford vs. #3 Jacksonville State

Duquesne/Youngstown State vs. #7 Southern Utah
Northern Arizona/Weber State vs. #2 NDSU

*Used Massey predictions to determine field of 24 & AQ/At-Large

Houndawg
October 25th, 2017, 07:25 AM
AQ:

At-Large:
South Dakota
Western Illinois
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Weber State
Villanova
Delaware
Elon
Western Carolina
Wofford
Sam Houston State
McNeese State

First Four Out:
Stony Brook
Nicholls State
Kennesaw State
Montana

Brackets:

YSU won't make it

Gangtackle11
October 25th, 2017, 08:09 AM
YSU won't make it

Fine by me. Nova has some work to do so it’s ok if you say so. Less teams to fight for at-large bids the better.

YSU remaining games:
ISUr
@ Indiana St.
@ SIU
Missouri State

Daytripper
October 25th, 2017, 08:56 AM
AQ:

At-Large:
South Dakota
Western Illinois
Youngstown State
Northern Iowa
Eastern Washington
Northern Arizona
Weber State
Villanova
Delaware
Elon
Western Carolina
Wofford
Sam Houston State
McNeese State

First Four Out:
Stony Brook
Nicholls State
Kennesaw State
Montana

Brackets:

Ahhh... potential second round matchup between Keeler and Delaware. I like it.

LehighU11
October 25th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Keeler is from the Lehigh Valley, growing up just a few miles away from LU. Of course, that story line wouldn't be as good as a revenge game against UD. Also, Lehigh almost certainly isn't going past the 1st round this year.

PantherRob82
October 25th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Fine by me. Nova has some work to do so it’s ok if you say so. Less teams to fight for at-large bids the better.

YSU remaining games:
ISUr
@ Indiana St.
@ SIU
Missouri State

They probably lose to ISUr or SIU

Baltimore Hen
October 25th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Delaware currently sitting at 5-2 3-1CAA, has 4 games left, all of which are very winnable games for the Hens. There will always be potential stumbling blocks, but is DR keeps the Hens focusedthey can win out and finish 9-2. If that happens their only losses would be to JMU and VT. To me that would solidly put them in the top 8 seeds......I am thinking 5 or 6. I think the worst case scenario for the Hens at this point is 3-1 down the stretch.....

Professor Chaos
October 25th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Delaware currently sitting at 5-2 3-1CAA, has 4 games left, all of which are very winnable games for the Hens. There will always be potential stumbling blocks, but is DR keeps the Hens focusedthey can win out and finish 9-2. If that happens their only losses would be to JMU and VT. To me that would solidly put them in the top 8 seeds......I am thinking 5 or 6. I think the worst case scenario for the Hens at this point is 3-1 down the stretch.....
I don't follow Delaware all that closely but you might want to pump the brakes a bit. Delaware has played 5 of 6 FCS games thus far at home and now 3 of their last 4 are on the road. The last 3 games (@Maine, vs Albany, and @Nova) are not gimmes. Massey gives Delaware a 57%, 75%, and 41% chance of winning each of those games so he thinks losing 1 is likely and losing 2 is a decent possibility. I'd say worst case scenario for Delaware down the stretch is 1-3 which would put them out of the playoffs but if they win out they'd definitely be seeded. Win 2 or 3 and they're in just not with a seed.

one_armed_man
October 25th, 2017, 02:56 PM
I'd say every bubble team out there needs to become a big Southeastern Louisiana fan from here on out. They finish with McNeese and Nicholls so they have a chance to weaken the bubble considerably if they pick up one or both of those games (although if they win both they'd be on the bubble themselves most likely).
I would expect nothing less coming from Professor Chaos.

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2017, 05:44 PM

The long awaited much anticipated match between Sammy Houston State versus Delaware better hurry up and happen because KC is probably on his way out.....right?

BisonTru
October 25th, 2017, 06:44 PM
The long awaited much anticipated match between Sammy Houston State versus Delaware better hurry up and happen because KC is probably on his way out.....right?

Who would you root for?

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Who would you root for?

I don't root for coaches

RootinFerDukes
October 25th, 2017, 06:51 PM

I would absolutely love to see that playoff game, especially in Delaware. Make it happen.

BisonTru
October 25th, 2017, 07:39 PM
I don't root for coaches

ok.

you and Clucky

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2017, 04:33 AM
ok.

you and Clucky

you and MTfanforlife

HENJOHN
October 26th, 2017, 06:22 AM

KC misses Delaware so much he'd probably run onto the wrong sideline with his Delaware windbreaker on.

katss07
October 26th, 2017, 06:46 AM
I would love to see a UD vs Sam Houston playoff matchup. If motivation is an issue for this Kats team, Keeler will definitely have them ready for the Blue Hens.

Or we could just take Lehigh and basically a second round bye.

Daytripper
October 26th, 2017, 08:50 AM

It seems like every season Keeler's name pops up in G5 head coaching job discussions. As he is getting up in years, I expect he will eventually jump at the big pay day ala Willie Fritz. It could be this year...who knows?

BisonTru
October 26th, 2017, 09:41 AM
you and MTfanforlife

https://i.imgur.com/ABtwP3k.gif

WCU-Cats!
October 26th, 2017, 02:53 PM
should make for a crazy final 4 weeks of regular season, hoping for the best for the socon

one_armed_man
October 26th, 2017, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the selection committee has UCA between 6 and 8 seed.

caribbeanhen
October 26th, 2017, 04:23 PM
KC misses Delaware so much he'd probably run onto the wrong sideline with his Delaware windbreaker on.

No doubt henJohn, actually it always seems like he always has some blue somewhere on is Attire