PDA

View Full Version : FCS Bracket

Lurker
October 23rd, 2017, 09:31 PM
As a "new to FCS" fan, I was just curious if anyone could shed some light on what all the Committee factors into its decision. Polls? W/L? Quality win? Distance by round?

Most brackets I have seen recently show UCA as a 4 seed but the "at larges" vary widely. Is there a method to the madness, or is it mostly "your guess is as good as mine"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
October 23rd, 2017, 09:41 PM
Unlike a lot of polls, the committee generally does a good job at analyzing how well a team performs rather than basing things strictly off a W/L record. SOS is a factor. For example, Sam Houston State played no one of worth last year and went 11-0 and received the 5 seed despite a #1 ranking in the polls.

Regionalization is a factor when determining who plays where. You're more likely to see more matchups between close schools in the early rounds. For example, last year the Charleston Southern and Wofford fed into The Citadel last year, which reduced travel costs for the NCAA.

grizband
October 23rd, 2017, 09:50 PM
They claim regionalization isn't a factor when selecting teams, only when pairing first round match ups.

10 leagues received autobids into the playoffs, leaving 14 at large bids to fill out the 24 team bracket. As JSUSoutherner mentioned above, SOS plays a large roll into seeding and selection into the playoffs as an at large team; at large teams are generally selected from the Big Sky, CAA, MVFC, Southern, Southland conferences.

katss07
October 23rd, 2017, 10:32 PM
A team from the MVFC with 5 losses ALWAYS gets in. Its the rule.

NY Crusader 2010
October 23rd, 2017, 11:06 PM
A team from the MVFC with 5 losses ALWAYS gets in. Its the rule.

A Patriot League team sometimes gets in with a losing record. May turn into a new rule.

Catbooster
October 24th, 2017, 01:01 AM
As others have said, win/loss record, strength of schedule. Related to SOS, lower division wins used to be ignored but now they say they can give some credit for them (i.e. if it was a win against the #1 D-II team), wins against FBS teams usually give a little extra credit. Also, if the team is on a roll it helps - a 7-4 team that had their losses early but closed the season with a 4 win streak is generally more likely to be chosen than a 7-4 team that ended the regular season with 2 losses. Lots of factors play a role, and the committee debates who to choose.

The committee seeds the top 8 teams (who get a bye in the first round). They host if they meet the NCAA minimum bids. The first round games are hosted by whoever bids the most for the game.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 01:23 AM
As a "new to FCS" fan, I was just curious if anyone could shed some light on what all the Committee factors into its decision. Polls? W/L? Quality win? Distance by round?

Most brackets I have seen recently show UCA as a 4 seed but the "at larges" vary widely. Is there a method to the madness, or is it mostly "your guess is as good as mine"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To touch on regionalization which has been briefly mentioned. The top 8 seeds go into the bracket seeded with a first round bye. The next sixteen teams are paired with each other trying to create as many 400 mile or less bus trips. There can be no conference rematches in the first (play in round), but the second round can be a conference rematch.

Basically for Central Arkansas if you're seeded any team including Southland teams within 400 miles would be the most likely teams routed your direction. If you go unseeded you won't face a conference rematch in the first round so any out of conference team within a 400 mile radius would be a likely matchup. If nothing works within those guidelines and a plane trip is due, you could be looking at anyone in the nation.

caribbeanhen
October 24th, 2017, 06:08 AM
What's the official strength of schedule meter ?

wcugrad95
October 24th, 2017, 06:52 AM
And I know there is a committee, but who is on it?

Gangtackle11
October 24th, 2017, 07:07 AM

ADs from the conferences.

BisonTru
October 24th, 2017, 11:41 AM

Central Region
Greg Seitz - AD Jacksonville St - Chair of the committee
Kyle Moats - AD Missouri State
Tim Murray - AD Marist

East Region
Nathan Pine - AD Holy Cross
Marty Scarano - AD New Hampshire
Bill Smith - AD Bryant

South Region
Chuck Burch - AD Gardner-Webb
Richard Johnson - AD Wofford

West Region
Brad Teague - AD Central Arkansas
Jeff Tingey - AD Idaho State

This a good resource for anyone that wants to look through the process more. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMFBL_PreChampsManual_20170914.pdf

LUHawker
October 24th, 2017, 01:05 PM
A Patriot League team sometimes gets in with a losing record. May turn into a new rule.

Actually, only once: Lafayette in 2013 and that was a fluke.

JSUSoutherner
October 24th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Central Region
Greg Seitz - AD Jacksonville St - Chair of the committee
Kyle Moats - AD Missouri State
Tim Murray - AD Marist

East Region
Nathan Pine - AD Holy Cross
Marty Scarano - AD New Hampshire
Bill Smith - AD Bryant

South Region
Chuck Burch - AD Gardner-Webb
Richard Johnson - AD Wofford

West Region
Brad Teague - AD Central Arkansas
Jeff Tingey - AD Idaho State

This a good resource for anyone that wants to look through the process more. http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIMFBL_PreChampsManual_20170914.pdf

Greg Seitz the GOAT.