PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 10-23

JALMOND
October 23rd, 2017, 08:56 PM
As October draws to a close, one has to wonder if the Big Sky race is finally coming clear. Also, with the talk of playoffs starting to fill the air, one has to wonder how many Big Sky teams will get in the playoffs. Still a lot of action left in the season, with a bunch of good conference games left to play. Here are this week's power rankings (last week's rankings in parenthesis). Once again, all are just my opinion only. Should be some good discussion.

1. Northern Arizona (1)---Last week beat UC-Davis at home 45-31, this week Sacramento State at home---The Lumberjacks faced off against a strong conference upstart last week and, while many are waiting for the usual swoon, that was not apparent. They get another tough opponent this week.

2. Montana (3)---Last week bye, this week at Weber State---The Grizzlies seem to have righted the ship and have got past the growing pains of a freshman quarterback. Rested and ready, they hit the road for a strong contest against an always strong conference opponent.

3. Southern Utah (7)---Last week beat Eastern Washington at home 46-28, this week at Northern Colorado---In search of respect, the normally hot and cold Thunderbirds have been on fire lately, knocking down two conference heavyweights in the last two weeks. Could this week be a possible trap game?

4. Weber State (4)---Last week won at Cal Poly 17-3, this week Montana at home---The Wildcats were anxious for their strong leader to emerge from an injury and lead them to a win last week. Now they return home, but against an always pesky opponent, that causes trouble for the Wildcats every year.

5. Eastern Washington (2)---Last week lost at Southern Utah 46-28, this week bye---Flying high at one point, the Eagles came crashing down to the ground last week. Hoping to recapture some of the good feelings, they get a much needed rest this weekend and get ready for the home stretch.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Last week won at North Dakota 34-27, this week at Northern Arizona---A good showing on the road finally led to a well deserved conference road win for the Hornets. Still looking for some respect, they have to go back out on the road to enemy confines.

7. Montana State (5)---Last week won at Northern Colorado 27-24, this week Idaho State at home---Keeping their fans on the edge of their seats, the Bobcats eked out a conference road win in the last seconds to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. Hopefully, this weekend won't be as nervous.

8. Idaho State (10)---Last week beat Portland State at home 59-30, this week at Montana State---The Bengals came out strong and alive last week and got a good conference win. Keeping the good tidings going, they have to hit the road and play in a not so friendly atmosphere.

9. UC-Davis (8)---Last week lost at Northern Arizona 45-31, this week Cal Poly at home---The Aggies have been up and down this season and had a shot at knocking down a heavyweight but came up short. They come back home and, while all conference games are tough, this one should be a win.

10. North Dakota (9)---Last week lost to Sacramento State at home 34-27, this week at Portland State---The Hawks tried to make a strong comeback last week but the deficit was too great. Sadly, this was supposed to be a great year until the injuries hit. Their psyche should mend a bit this weekend.

11. Northern Colorado (11)---Last week lost to Montana State at home 27-24, this week Southern Utah at home---Hoping for respect and a glimmer of success this season, the Bears just could not get the win last weekend, just missing in the last few seconds. Can they recover in time for a home game against a good opponent?

12. Portland State (12)---Last week lost at Idaho State 59-30, this week North Dakota at home---The Vikings looked good in the first half last weekend. Then they could not get anything going in the second half and lost the game once again. They return home this weekend, still searching for a win.

13. Cal Poly (13)---Last week lost to Weber State at home 17-3, this weekend at UC-Davis---So much for the vaunted Mustang offense. In this conference, a defense holds an opponent to 17 points and most of the time, that is a win. Unfortunately, not so for the Mustangs. Now on the road.

RECAP: 1 moving ahead, 2-7 keeping pace, 8-10 holding steady, 11 on an island, 12-13 falling.

TheRealJacks
October 23rd, 2017, 09:03 PM
1) NAU
2) SUU
3) EWU
4) WSU
5) SAC
6) UM
7) IDSU
8) MSU
9) UCD
10) UNC
11) CP
12) PSU

FCSFBFAN
October 23rd, 2017, 10:53 PM
1) NAU 2) SUU3) EWU4) WSU5) SAC6) UM7) IDSU8) MSU9) UCD10) UNC11) CP12) PSUThat order is exactly how I would rank them.

TheRealJacks
October 23rd, 2017, 11:14 PM
1) NAU
2) SUU
3) EWU
4) WSU
5) SAC
6) UM
7) IDSU
8) MSU
9) UCD
10) UNC
11) CP
12) PSU

10) UND
11) UNC
12) CP
13) PSU ****

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 09:34 AM
1)UM/SUU
3) NAU
4) WSU
5) EWU
6)SAC
7)IDSU
8) MSU
9) UCD
10) UNC
11) CP
12) PSU

FCSFBFAN
October 24th, 2017, 09:37 AM
1)UM/SUU
3) NAU
4) WSU
5) EWU
6)IDSU
7) SAC
8) MSU
9) UCD
10) UNC
11) CP
12) PSU

Curious what Montana has done this year to have them at the top of your list?

SactoHornetFan
October 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM
1)UM/SUU
3) NAU
4) WSU
5) EWU
6)IDSU
7) SAC
8) MSU
9) UCD
10) UNC
11) CP
12) PSU

ISU above SAC after we throttled them and have a better record?!? What kind of smoke did you inhale from those fires in Montana this summer?!? xeyebrowx

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 09:55 AM
ISU above SAC after we throttled them and have a better record?!? What kind of smoke did you inhale from those fires in Montana this summer?!? xeyebrowx

I corrected it

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 10:02 AM

Actually you are right I should have waited 2 more weeks. I got ahead of myself I will change my rankings accordingly.

SactoHornetFan
October 24th, 2017, 10:40 AM
1) NAU...NAU throttled UCD at home and now comes another tough team to Skydome, the upstart Sac State Hornets. Can the Jacks avoid the late season meltdown one final time?
2) SUU...The loss to SAC is now looking more like a fluke, although I still believe Weber would have won if Cantwell didn't get his bell rung.
3) EWU...Eastern fell quite a bit with a loss in the Bird Bowl to SUU. Time for them to regroup against Bye this week.
4) WSU...Still trying to figure out this Wildcat team...a very uninspiring win at a bad Cal Poly.
5) SAC...The Hornets finally got that road win that has been missing with a 3rd string quarterback who had never taken a snap prior to Saturday. Can SAC pull off another one at NAU?
6) UM...I'm not really sold on the Griz because they really have weak wins...and another UM player got arrested during their bye week. Seriously what is wrong with the culture in Missoula?
7) MSU...The Bobcats had to comeback at one point at UNC...this week, they get a jeckyll and hyde team in ISU at home.
8) ISU...Will the real ISU please show their face: the one that looked amazing at Nevada and this past week against PSU, or the one that didn't against SAC and UM?
9) UCD...Doss is the only thing that is keeping interest in UCD right now. What kept them in the NAU game was special teams and trickery. They have Poly at home for the Horseshoe Game.
10) UNC...UNC started out strong only to come crashing down and nearly pulled off the Homecoming upset vs MSU. Time is running out on the Bears and they have to go to SUU and its not looking promising.
11) UND...You know its bad when you lose your starting QB (Studsrud) again due to injury and then you lose at home to a team with a 3rd string QB and hadn't won a road game in 3 years.
12) PSU...I think this team has quit on BarneyBall. Pretty sad too because that was a heck of a story two years ago. A shame.
13) CP...Im still scratching my head about Cal Poly. I mean, their lack of depth in recruiting for this year was just bad.

MTfan4life
October 24th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Montana is far too high in some of these so I figured I'd throw in some of my own.

1. Northern Arizona - Since starting the season with losses to Arizona and Western Illinois, NAU has reeled off 5 wins all by at least 2 touchdowns. They face a pretty tough last stretch of games, but they've been the most consistent team so far this season.

2. Southern Utah - They have one bad loss to Sac State where they could not stop Kevin Thomson, but outside of that they have 4 very impressive wins. I say 4 because SFA played SHSU and UCA close and SUU annihilated them.

3. Eastern Washington - Yes, they lost to Southern Utah, but they also beat Montana, Sacramento State, UC-Davis, and Montana State.

4. Weber State - They have the best defense in the conference and outside of Cantwell missing the last 35 minutes against Southern Utah, they've played pretty consistent all season.

5. Montana - They haven't slipped up yet, but they still have yet to record a very impressive win. After weak defensive efforts against Valparaiso, EWU, PSU, and ISU, I'd rather wait for a respectable result before moving them higher.

6. Sacramento State - If Kevin Thomson was healthy, they'd be in 5th because their win over Southern Utah trumps their having two conference losses. In a QB loaded conference, Thomson might be the toughest to defend because of strength both running and passing the ball.

7. Montana State - They need 4 straight wins to have a shot at the playoffs after facing a pretty difficult schedule, but they do have 3 of those games at home. I'd say they've shown they have a top 3-4 defense in the conference.

8. UC-Davis - Speaking of a tough schedule, UC-Davis has losses to EWU, NAU, and WSU. Jake Maier is probably the most underrated QB in the country and they have one of the best WR's in Keelan Doss. If they had a respectable defense, they'd be ranked right now.

9. Idaho State - They just haven't been able to play consistently, nor have they been able to get over the non-stop dirty play in football. Speaking of underrated quarterbacks, though, Tanner Gueller has passed for over 2000 yds, 20 TDS, and just 5 interceptions.

10. North Dakota - With all the injuries, UND has stayed relatively competitive at home this season. Yes, they got smoked by the Bobcats, but they're still the only team to shut out Missouri State, and they beat UNC and fought back against Sac State. On the road, though, they have sucked. This could be Portland State's best chance to get a win.

11. Northern Colorado - If Jacob Knipp hadn't gone down to injury in Grand Forks, the Bears might have been 3-1 in conference at this point. Regan hasn't been anywhere near the backup that Gresch Jensen has been for the Griz, so UNC has stayed towards the bottom of the Big Sky. Now they're just trying to spoil either Southern Utah or Montana's season.

12. Portland State - They have games against UND and Cal Poly the next two weeks before finishing with WSU and EWU. With true freshman Eason at QB, they're definitely in rebuilding mode, but could have a chance to develop at least some confidence. It's crazy to think that just 2 seasons ago, the Vikings earned the 6 seed in the 2015 FCS playoffs! They are 3-16 since they earned that seed.

13. Cal Poly - The Mustangs have had a very similar struggle with injuries as UND. They have a decent shot at getting a couple wins in their final 4 games, though. It's not too often Cal Poly isn't even in the top 4 in rushing offense in conference games.

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 11:24 AM
1) NAU...NAU throttled UCD at home and now comes another tough team to Skydome, the upstart Sac State Hornets. Can the Jacks avoid the late season meltdown one final time?
2) SUU...The loss to SAC is now looking more like a fluke, although I still believe Weber would have won if Cantwell didn't get his bell rung.
3) EWU...Eastern fell quite a bit with a loss in the Bird Bowl to SUU. Time for them to regroup against Bye this week.
4) WSU...Still trying to figure out this Wildcat team...a very uninspiring win at a bad Cal Poly.
5) SAC...The Hornets finally got that road win that has been missing with a 3rd string quarterback who had never taken a snap prior to Saturday. Can SAC pull off another one at NAU?
6) UM...I'm not really sold on the Griz because they really have weak wins...and another UM player got arrested during their bye week. Seriously what is wrong with the culture in Missoula?
7) MSU...The Bobcats had to comeback at one point at UNC...this week, they get a jeckyll and hyde team in ISU at home.
8) ISU...Will the real ISU please show their face: the one that looked amazing at Nevada and this past week against PSU, or the one that didn't against SAC and UM?
9) UCD...Doss is the only thing that is keeping interest in UCD right now. What kept them in the NAU game was special teams and trickery. They have Poly at home for the Horseshoe Game.
10) UNC...UNC started out strong only to come crashing down and nearly pulled off the Homecoming upset vs MSU. Time is running out on the Bears and they have to go to SUU and its not looking promising.
11) UND...You know its bad when you lose your starting QB (Studsrud) again due to injury and then you lose at home to a team with a 3rd string QB and hadn't won a road game in 3 years.
12) PSU...I think this team has quit on BarneyBall. Pretty sad too because that was a heck of a story two years ago. A shame.
13) CP...Im still scratching my head about Cal Poly. I mean, their lack of depth in recruiting for this year was just bad.

I agree Missoula (along with many other places) is messed up as far as supporting recruitment of players with shaky pasts. There is a reason the DOJ hammered the university so hard. You have a stadium like WGS and you need to fill it every game or loose money so the powers that be turn a blind eye. The shame is 90-95% of the kids are great kids but there will always be that kid that is simply a great player but not a great person and he will get the scholarship over the kid who is a great kid but just a good player.

Catbooster
October 24th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Montana is far too high in some of these so I figured I'd throw in some of my own.

1. Northern Arizona - Since starting the season with losses to Arizona and Western Illinois, NAU has reeled off 5 wins all by at least 2 touchdowns. They face a pretty tough last stretch of games, but they've been the most consistent team so far this season.

2. Southern Utah - They have one bad loss to Sac State where they could not stop Kevin Thomson, but outside of that they have 4 very impressive wins. I say 4 because SFA played SHSU and UCA close and SUU annihilated them.

3. Eastern Washington - Yes, they lost to Southern Utah, but they also beat Montana, Sacramento State, UC-Davis, and Montana State.

4. Weber State - They have the best defense in the conference and outside of Cantwell missing the last 35 minutes against Southern Utah, they've played pretty consistent all season.

5. Montana - They haven't slipped up yet, but they still have yet to record a very impressive win. After weak defensive efforts against Valparaiso, EWU, PSU, and ISU, I'd rather wait for a respectable result before moving them higher.

6. Sacramento State - If Kevin Thomson was healthy, they'd be in 5th because their win over Southern Utah trumps their having two conference losses. In a QB loaded conference, Thomson might be the toughest to defend because of strength both running and passing the ball.

7. Montana State - They need 4 straight wins to have a shot at the playoffs after facing a pretty difficult schedule, but they do have 3 of those games at home. I'd say they've shown they have a top 3-4 defense in the conference.

8. UC-Davis - Speaking of a tough schedule, UC-Davis has losses to EWU, NAU, and WSU. Jake Maier is probably the most underrated QB in the country and they have one of the best WR's in Keelan Doss. If they had a respectable defense, they'd be ranked right now.

9. Idaho State - They just haven't been able to play consistently, nor have they been able to get over the non-stop dirty play in football. Speaking of underrated quarterbacks, though, Tanner Gueller has passed for over 2000 yds, 20 TDS, and just 5 interceptions.

10. North Dakota - With all the injuries, UND has stayed relatively competitive at home this season. Yes, they got smoked by the Bobcats, but they're still the only team to shut out Missouri State, and they beat UNC and fought back against Sac State. On the road, though, they have sucked. This could be Portland State's best chance to get a win.

11. Northern Colorado - If Jacob Knipp hadn't gone down to injury in Grand Forks, the Bears might have been 3-1 in conference at this point. Regan hasn't been anywhere near the backup that Gresch Jensen has been for the Griz, so UNC has stayed towards the bottom of the Big Sky. Now they're just trying to spoil either Southern Utah or Montana's season.

12. Portland State - They have games against UND and Cal Poly the next two weeks before finishing with WSU and EWU. With true freshman Eason at QB, they're definitely in rebuilding mode, but could have a chance to develop at least some confidence. It's crazy to think that just 2 seasons ago, the Vikings earned the 6 seed in the 2015 FCS playoffs! They are 3-16 since they earned that seed.

13. Cal Poly - The Mustangs have had a very similar struggle with injuries as UND. They have a decent shot at getting a couple wins in their final 4 games, though. It's not too often Cal Poly isn't even in the top 4 in rushing offense in conference games.
This is the one that matches up with my opinion.

Grizalltheway
October 24th, 2017, 11:45 AM

No comment on the culture in Grand Forks or Youngstown?

dbackjon
October 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM

There is no culture in GF or Youngstown.

SactoHornetFan
October 24th, 2017, 11:51 AM

Nice way to deflect on your school's issues...must be a class taught at Missoula U...Deflection 101. Along with Falling Enrollment 101, and Lack of Knowledge in Budgeting 101 (how the hell you can't get your band to a rivalry game and the athletic dept not paying for it is a disgrace...but lets open up that shiny toy for athletes only!).

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Nice way to deflect on your school's issues...must be a class taught at Missoula U...Deflection 101. Along with Falling Enrollment 101, and Lack of Knowledge in Budgeting 101 (how the hell you can't get your band to a rivalry game and the athletic dept not paying for it is a disgrace...but lets open up that shiny toy for athletes only!).

does the band really need to spend the night for a 3 hour ride? also I was not aware the music department was part of the athletic department. WGS is not filled up by people wanting to see the band at half time as at half time the stadium is empty heading for the tailgate parties (well that might be one of the problems we have we are heavy on the alcohol culture)

That all said it bugs me that they/we recruit any kid that has criminal issues or any division 1 kid that has baggage when there are a lot of great kids with great character to pick from.

SactoHornetFan
October 24th, 2017, 02:16 PM
does the band really need to spend the night for a 3 hour ride? also I was not aware the music department was part of the athletic department. WGS is not filled up by people wanting to see the band at half time as at half time the stadium is empty heading for the tailgate parties (well that might be one of the problems we have we are heavy on the alcohol culture)

That all said it bugs me that they/we recruit any kid that has criminal issues or any division 1 kid that has baggage when there are a lot of great kids with great character to pick from.

From what I've read they don't spend the night, its because both of your athletic departments charge the visiting band for tickets when they shouldn't even do so. I know Sac and Davis don't charge their respective bands. Its all part of being a collegiate environment. But you're right, Montana isn't a collegiate enviro, it's an alcoholic one!

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 02:38 PM
From what I've read they don't spend the night, its because both of your athletic departments charge the visiting band for tickets when they shouldn't even do so. I know Sac and Davis don't charge their respective bands. Its all part of being a collegiate environment. But you're right, Montana isn't a collegiate enviro, it's an alcoholic one!

yea but you have empty stadiums. the griz and bob cat stadiums are nearly always full and/or sold out or close to it. Fill your stadiums with big dollar tickets every week and see how much longer you give free seats away. Don't get me wrong I am all for marching bands and such but I have never heard people leave WGS who were gushing about how great the band was at halftime. Like I said watch a game there and it is amazing at how quick the stadium empties at half time. Rumor has it they are going to start selling beer in the stadium to keep people seated.

Grizalltheway
October 24th, 2017, 02:44 PM

Not a deflection, just pointing out that UM is far from the only school that has students athletes that get into trouble on occasion. But I guess the two examples I used don't regularly wipe the floor with your team like UM does. xthumbsupx

nevadagriz
October 24th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Sacto fan shut up! You have a **** ton of people in the sac area that don't bother to come to your games, put a decent product on the field maybe you can afford new shiny toys!
As far as players getting in trouble, yep we got a dumbass this year that thought a house party was more important then football. Guess what we will have more players in the future get in hot water and shocker pal so will Sac. St!

Silenoz
October 24th, 2017, 03:31 PM

Beat all those good teams we...er, nevermind

Not even gonna bother reading the Hornet's smack because it's Sac State. I just don't even care.

veinup
October 24th, 2017, 05:26 PM
But you're right, Montana isn't a collegiate enviro, it's an alcoholic one!

why not both?

BadlandsGrizFan
October 24th, 2017, 05:35 PM
1)EWU
2)SUU
3)UM
4)NAU
5)WSU
6)Sac
7)MSU
8)ISU
9)UCD
10)PSU
11)UND
12)CP

BadlandsGrizFan
October 24th, 2017, 05:37 PM

What a ****ing joke...if a single team in this conference didnt have a player get into legal trouble over the last 2 years I would be shocked...save maybe Weber or SUU......everyone else its laughable to act like your programs dont have players get into trouble.

kalm
October 24th, 2017, 05:53 PM
What a ****ing joke...if a single team in this conference didnt have a player get into legal trouble over the last 2 years I would be shocked...save maybe Weber or SUU......everyone else its laughable to act like your programs dont have players get into trouble.

Yep. Keeping tabs on a bunch dudes in their late teens and early 20's is a daunting task and every program is susceptible to these type of situations. I'd guess the UM has spent more energy protecting against this than SAC has over the last few years.

**** happens and it's simply bad karma to pile on at this point. SactoHornetFan will be the reason for their soon to come to fall back to wherever it was they tried to crawl out from...

dbackjon
October 24th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Yep. Keeping tabs on a bunch dudes in their late teens and early 20's is a daunting task and every program is susceptible to these type of situations. I'd guess the UM has spent more energy protecting against this than SAC has over the last few years.

**** happens and it's simply bad karma to pile on at this point. SactoHornetFan will be the reason for their soon to come to fall back to wherever it was they tried to crawl out from...

I personally witnessed a similar situation (that alledgely happened in Pullman) with a couple of EWU players back in 80's. One of the EWU players was a transfer from FBS school, and at that school was a member of the same fraternity I was in. He called the frat house before the game wanting to meet up and party after the game.

I was a pledge that year, with a car, so I was assigned to go pick him and another Eagle from outside the team hotel, and brought them back to the frat house. During the party, we had a couple of uninvited guests, who we threw out. The guy was drunk, but nothing we couldn't handle. As he was leaving and walking down the street, he started yelling obscenities at us at throwing rocks, while his buddy tried to get him away. The two EWU football players took off after him and proceeded to kick his ass.

The two football players had enough sense to get the hell out of there in case the police drove by, so I took them back to the hotel and dropped them off.

Grizalltheway
October 24th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I personally witnessed a similar situation (that alledgely happened in Pullman) with a couple of EWU players back in 80's. One of the EWU players was a transfer from FBS school, and at that school was a member of the same fraternity I was in. He called the frat house before the game wanting to meet up and party after the game.

I was a pledge that year, with a car, so I was assigned to go pick him and another Eagle from outside the team hotel, and brought them back to the frat house. During the party, we had a couple of uninvited guests, who we threw out. The guy was drunk, but nothing we couldn't handle. As he was leaving and walking down the street, he started yelling obscenities at us at throwing rocks, while his buddy tried to get him away. The two EWU football players took off after him and proceeded to kick his ass.

The two football players had enough sense to get the hell out of there in case the police drove by, so I took them back to the hotel and dropped them off.
What's the statute of limitations on accountability?xlolx

jadmt
October 24th, 2017, 06:40 PM
1)EWU
2)SUU
3)UM
4)NAU
5)WSU
6)Sac
7)MSU
8)ISU
9)UCD
10)PSU
11)UND
12)CP

not saying you are far off but seems odd that your #2 did a pretty good beat down of your #1.

dbackjon
October 24th, 2017, 06:53 PM
What's the statute of limitations on accountability?xlolx

7 years. I checked before I posted xnodx

Grizalltheway
October 24th, 2017, 07:57 PM
7 years. I checked before I posted xnodx
xthumbsupx

I Bleed Purple
October 24th, 2017, 08:48 PM

Weber's had a few incidents. The local media just doesn't care to report much of it to the dozens of fans.

TheRealJacks
October 24th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Funny people having montana high on their polls when their best win was Idaho State and was down 28-19 at one point. LOL and a 0-7 and 3-4 non-conference wins.

tomq04
October 25th, 2017, 12:29 AM
My shot at the top looks like:
1. NAU
2. SUU
3. EWU
4. Weber
5. Montana
6. Montana St.
everyone else.
11. NoDak
12. PSU
13. Cal Poly

grizband
October 25th, 2017, 11:29 AM
My shot at the top looks like:
1. NAU
2. SUU
3. EWU
4. Weber
5. Montana
6. Montana St.
everyone else.
11. NoDak
12. PSU
13. Cal Poly
Fairly accurate to this point; Griz have a chance to vault into top 3 with remaining games over NAU and Weber. Big Sky could legitimately get 3-4 teams in the playoffs this year.