PDA

View Full Version : Portland St HC Interviews for Army OC

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Portland St could be looking for a new head coach. Seems that Brock and Walsh are friends. This would be an interesting development, especially at this time of year. Portland St, would they hire someone from within this late in the game, especially with spring drills around the corner? I think so...

---------
Army interviewing for offensive coordinator job
By Justin Rodriguez

Times Herald-Record
February 08, 2007

New Army football coach Stan Brock will interview Division I-AA Portland State head coach Tim Walsh for the Black Knights' open offensive coordinator job early next week.

"I know that Tim is going out there on Monday, Army is going to bring him out for a few days," said Mike Lund, Portland State's assistant director of media relations, Thursday night. "Army contacted our athletic director (Teri Mariani) and asked for permission to talk to Tim."

Walsh could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

Brock is a Portland, Ore., native, and Lund said he and Walsh, 52, are good friends. Walsh is 83-64 in 14 years at Portland State and the Vikings went 7-4 last season. He runs a West Coast-type offense with multiple formations.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070208/SPORTS/702080354

Green Cookie Monster
February 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM
That would surely suck for PSU. This late in the game, sheesh.

Peems
February 9th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Portland St could be looking for a new head coach. Seems that Brock and Walsh are friends. This would be an interesting development, especially at this time of year. Portland St, would they hire someone from within this late in the game, especially with spring drills around the corner? I think so...

---------
Army interviewing for offensive coordinator job
By Justin Rodriguez

Times Herald-Record
February 08, 2007

New Army football coach Stan Brock will interview Division I-AA Portland State head coach Tim Walsh for the Black Knights' open offensive coordinator job early next week.

"I know that Tim is going out there on Monday, Army is going to bring him out for a few days," said Mike Lund, Portland State's assistant director of media relations, Thursday night. "Army contacted our athletic director (Teri Mariani) and asked for permission to talk to Tim."

Walsh could not be reached for comment Thursday night.

Brock is a Portland, Ore., native, and Lund said he and Walsh, 52, are good friends. Walsh is 83-64 in 14 years at Portland State and the Vikings went 7-4 last season. He runs a West Coast-type offense with multiple formations.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070208/SPORTS/702080354

Walsh is definitely one of the best, if not the best coach in the big sky and he has stuck around for awhile, seems strange that he would leave now, especially with a good outlook for this season.

citdog
February 9th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Brock is a fool. He needs to get in the wishbone and get Army back where they should be.

CitadelGrad
February 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
The word on the Army scout.com board is that the job is his if he wants it. I agree on the wishbone comment, as do the vast majority of Army fans. Service academies just don't win consistently without a focus on the ground game.

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
The word on the Army scout.com board is that the job is his if he wants it. I agree on the wishbone comment, as do the vast majority of Army fans. Service academies just don't win consistently without a focus on the ground game.

Agreed..

Reading John Feinstein's book 'Civil War' on Army vs Navy and it all makes sense to me why the ground games work so well for these schools...:nod:

JALMOND
February 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Scuttlebutt around Portland is 50-50. He is set for a formal interview in West Point on Monday. Brock is a Portland native, having coached at Jesuit high school in Beaverton. While there, he created a national football power, and he would encourage even his top players to look at Portland State as a possible choice for college football. Brock was then, and still remains to this day, a strong supporter of PSU athletics. This is how he and Walsh became such good friends.

Compounding the issue is that PSU still is without an athletic director, meaing that if Walsh were to go, it might be awhile for PSU to name a replacement. Instead of a vote of confidence, it was the interem AD that encouraged Walsh to seek this job.

Ironically, hushed tones has Aliotti, Oregon's defensive coordinator, as a leading candidate should Walsh leave. Oregon has just hired UNH's offensive coordinator, Kelly, as the Ducks new OC.

youwouldno
February 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Seems like a lateral move...

Cleets
February 10th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Brock is a fool. He needs to get in the wishbone and get Army back where they should be.

No... How boring is that...!

I'd like to see them bring back June Jones "Run and Shoot" with four wide-outs and no runningback....xlolx

-

Mr. C
February 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Brock's background would probably not allow for something non-traditional, hence the search for someone to run a more pro-styled offense (which ultimately, Army probably can't win with).

There is a reason why Fisher DeBerry of Air Force, Charlie Taffe of The Citadel and Paul Johnson of Navy had success with option-based attacks.

P.S. I'm not sure this is a wise career move for Tim Walsh.

BigApp
February 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Seems like a lateral move...

I agree.