PDA

View Full Version : Southern University's Schedule

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 9th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Big-name opponents await SU

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Feb 9, 2007

Southern will start its next two football seasons with some eye-catching opponents.

The Jaguars will face Florida A&M in the MEAC/SWAC Challenge to start next season Sept. 1 in Birmingham, Ala.

And SU will travel to play at the University of Houston, a member of the higher-end subdivision of Division I, on Aug. 30, 2008.

In addition, Southern has completed its 11-game 2007 schedule by adding Tennessee State for a Sept. 22 visit to fill the void created by moving the Florida A&M game from that date to the head of the schedule.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/5706431.html?showAll=y&c=y

SU football schedule
Southern football schedule for 2007.
SEPTEMBER
1 — vs. Florida A&M#
8 — at Mississippi Valley State^
15 — Prairie View^
22 — Tennessee State
29 — vs. Alabama State^+
OCTOBER
6 — Alabama A&M^
13 — Jackson State^
20 — Alcorn State^
NOVEMBER
3 — at Texas Southern^
10 — at Arkansas-Pine Bluff^
24 — vs. Grambling^*
Dates subject to change
# — MEAC/SWAC Challenge in Birmingham, Ala.
+ — In Mobile, Ala..
^ — Southwestern Athletic Conference game
* — Bayou Classic in New Orleans

February 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM
SEPTEMBER
1 — vs. Florida A&M#
8 — at Mississippi Valley State^
15 — Prairie View^
22 — Tennessee State
29 — vs. Alabama State^+
OCTOBER
6 — Alabama A&M^
13 — Jackson State^
20 — Alcorn State^
NOVEMBER
3 — at Texas Southern^
10 — at Arkansas-Pine Bluff^
24 — vs. Grambling^*All D-I, all-HBCU. :thumbsup: xcoffeex

R.A.
February 9th, 2007, 06:17 AM
And from Southern's SWAC perspective, what's wrong with that?

813Jag
February 9th, 2007, 06:36 AM
2008 schedule will have the opportunity for more quality opponents due to the end of the nine game mandate.:thumbsup:

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 07:14 AM
University of Houston has played three SWAC schools in three years, presuming they play Texas Southern as rumored on the UH board for sometime, this year.

Last year, the Cougars played Grambling. In 2005, the Cougars played Sam Houston State. Good to see UH scheduling regional FCS foes. Hopefully a FCS foe can knock them from their spot...

Question...is UH playing SU on the same night as the Labor Day Classic between PV & TxSo?

BgJag
February 9th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Question...is UH playing SU on the same night as the Labor Day Classic between PV & TxSo?

YES

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM
YES

Wonder how a SU-Houston matchup would impact attendance of the Labor Day Classic...

TxSo vs PVA&M drew 19,003 fans this past year at Reliant Stadium, which means it looked empty in there. If Southern and Houston play in the evening, which is likely because it is September in Houston after all, wonder how TxSo and PVA&M would respond in terms of the game? Move to Sunday? Early start time on Saturday afternoon? Possibly working with Southern/UH on a special ticket deal?

AppGuy04
February 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
And from Southern's SWAC perspective, what's wrong with that?

Looks like he was just saying that an all DI schedule is a good thing

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
The question about SWAC scheduling is how the schools will be flexible with the nine game mandate gone, allowing two more games.

SU has already showed a commitment in stepping up by playing the University of Houston, a good regional foe for them and potentially beatable...

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2007, 11:56 AM
The question about SWAC scheduling is how the schools will be flexible with the nine game mandate gone, allowing two more games.

SU has already showed a commitment in stepping up by playing the University of Houston, a good regional foe for them and potentially beatable...

What about Texas Southern playing New Mexico last season? What about playing McNeese State in 2005? What about us playing University of Houston in 2007? What about us playing Texas State in 2006? What about us playing UT-El Paso in 2005? See where I'm going with this?

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 12:01 PM
What about Texas Southern playing New Mexico last season? What about playing McNeese State in 2005? What about us playing University of Houston in 2007? What about us playing Texas State in 2006? What about us playing UT-El Paso in 2005? See where I'm going with this?

No doubt that Texas Southern has done a pretty good job of scheduling OOC foes. Don't forget that NWST played TxSo a few years back...

Obviously, TxSo has been one SWAC school to step up and play FBS schools. No question there. The budget of TxSo has needed that extra money too. TxSo has had a much different scheduling philosophy than PVA&M. Two different planets...

The Univ of Houston has really showed they want to play the regional FCS foes and that's good news for Louisiana and Texas FCS schools, especially more so now that SWAC is tossing the mandate.

Question for you 3rd Coast Tiger...so, what about SU vs UH the same day and maybe, even time as PVA&M vs TxSo?

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Question for you 3rd Coast Tiger...so, what about SU vs UH the same day and maybe, even time as PVA&M vs TxSo?

With SU vs UH in 2008 that means it'll be Prairie View's turn to host the game therefore it is up the their AD to make that ultimate decision on whether or not to move the game to Sunday or make sure the kickoff time is set on Saturday so there is no conflict with kickoff times with the other matchup. I have confidence in Charles (Prairie View's AD) to make sure this happens.

TexasTerror
February 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
With SU vs UH in 2008 that means it'll be Prairie View's turn to host the game therefore it is up the their AD to make that ultimate decision on whether or not to move the game to Sunday or make sure the kickoff time is set on Saturday so there is no conflict with kickoff times with the other matchup. I have confidence in Charles (Prairie View's AD) to make sure this happens.

Sounds good to me...glad you have faith in PVA&M's AD. I'd be concerned with what you'd say if it was TxSo's AD. Seems to me that it makes sense to make sure the games do not conflict in order to get better attendance at both without really damaging the other. It'd be a great weekend for SWAC fans to come in, especially if both those Houston area SWAC schools continue to improve on the gridiron in '07...

3rd Coast Tiger
February 9th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Sounds good to me...glad you have faith in PVA&M's AD. I'd be concerned with what you'd say if it was TxSo's AD.

Don't get me started on that joke we have.