PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 9

carney2
October 21st, 2017, 05:41 PM
We are down to one undefeated team in League play, and it’s the one that most expected when the season began. But it’s been a heluva messy trip to get to this point.

BUCKNELL @ COLGATE
LEHIGH @ FORDHAM
GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS

Bye: LAFAYETTE

Game of the Week: Lafayette vs. Bye. Can the Leopards avoid negative net rushing yardage in this one? Really, folks, would you get in your car and pay real money to see any of these three games?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2017, 05:56 PM
Bucknell at Colgate is a really big game on paper but I think the Raiders win by 2+ scores.

Lehigh should light up Fordham but it still might be interesting given how bad the Mountain Hawk's "D" is...

bonarae
October 21st, 2017, 06:55 PM
Colgate
Lehigh
Holy Cross

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2017, 10:00 PM
Can Bucknell's Pick Six offense score enough Pick Sixes to make it competitive against Colgate?

Gate83
October 21st, 2017, 10:04 PM
No

ngineer
October 21st, 2017, 10:58 PM
Bucknell may keep this close for a bit, but Colgate has too many weapons to be held down entire game. Raiders, 31-12.

Crusaders reeling and Hoyas feelin' their way. Who the heck knows how this goes, but G'town players have to sense that they CAN win this game, and this is the most important part. Hoyas do stations on the Cross, 19-17.

Lehigh should be healed up and rested. Sometimes that also shows in rust early in the game. Regardless, the O should get in synch and stretch it out. Is Edmonds out? I pick Lehigh, regardless, but if he can play at his level, then a much tighter game. Lehigh 42-28.

CHIP72
October 22nd, 2017, 04:06 AM
We are down to one undefeated team in League play, and it’s the one that most expected when the season began. But it’s been a heluva messy trip to get to this point.

BUCKNELL @ COLGATE
LEHIGH @ FORDHAM
GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS

Bye: LAFAYETTE

Game of the Week: Lafayette vs. Bye. Can the Leopards avoid negative net rushing yardage in this one? Really, folks, would you get in your car and pay real money to see any of these three games?

You can take the train to get to Lehigh/Fordham. :)

(I strongly considered attending that game as part of a day-night doubleheader with a Arizona/New Jersey NHL game, but ultimately decided I'd rather see the Devils play an Eastern Conference opponent the day before (Ottawa) and keep my Saturday schedule open to do other things.)

PAllen
October 22nd, 2017, 08:19 AM

(I strongly considered attending that game as part of a day-night doubleheader with a Arizona/New Jersey NHL game, but ultimately decided I'd rather see the Devils play an Eastern Conference opponent the day before (Ottawa) and keep my Saturday schedule open to do other things.)

So what you're saying is you would rather do nothing than take a train to see them.

carney2
October 22nd, 2017, 08:26 AM

But you'd still have to buy a ticket and waste 3+ hours watching crappy pseudo football.

kdinva
October 22nd, 2017, 08:39 AM
BUCKNELL 23 @ COLGATE 31
LEHIGH 31 @ FORDHAM 17
GEORGETOWN 12 @ HOLY CROSS 17

CHIP72
October 22nd, 2017, 08:56 AM
So what you're saying is you would rather do nothing than take a train to see them.

No, I actually now have some non-sports plans in the afternoon that day. Besides, even if my discussion group wasn't meeting that day, I could have watched (and will watch before leaving for my meeting) Lehigh/Fordham, and for that matter Penn/Brown, on TV (or via the PLN stream with Lehigh/Fordham), and East Stroudsburg/West Chester on the computer.

ColgateTD
October 22nd, 2017, 10:43 AM
Off Topic: Can you believe Columbia is 6-0? Beat a good 5-1 Dartmouth team yesterday.

I can't see 'Gate losing to Bucknell, although the Bison always play us close and sometimes there are big upsets. The Raiders are playing with the "Lehigh game ref chip" on their shoulder, and are determined to prove they are the top PL team on paper and on the field, if not in the standings :)

ngineer
October 22nd, 2017, 10:47 AM
What's the story on Edmonds at this point. I note Fordham also without Anderson and some other at Georgetown. Held out to rest up for Lehigh or long term IR?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 22nd, 2017, 11:06 AM
Off Topic: Can you believe Columbia is 6-0? Beat a good 5-1 Dartmouth team yesterday.

I can't see 'Gate losing to Bucknell, although the Bison always play us close and sometimes there are big upsets. The Raiders are playing with the "Lehigh game ref chip" on their shoulder, and are determined to prove they are the top PL team on paper and on the field, if not in the standings :)

The narrative that the refs "cost" Colgate the game is wrong. They cost both teams a more fair ending. There's no certainty that Colgate wins without a couple of those penalties. The Raider defense couldn't stop Lehigh. Either way, they're the two best teams in the league and it's really close as to who's better.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM
No, I actually now have some non-sports plans in the afternoon that day. Besides, even if my discussion group wasn't meeting that day, I could have watched (and will watch before leaving for my meeting) Lehigh/Fordham, and for that matter Penn/Brown, on TV (or via the PLN stream with Lehigh/Fordham), and East Stroudsburg/West Chester on the computer.

I watched some of the Bloomsburg-ESU games yesterday. Highly entertaining! The PSAC is fun to watch!

CHIP72
October 22nd, 2017, 11:33 AM
I watched some of the Bloomsburg-ESU games yesterday. Highly entertaining! The PSAC is fun to watch!

I was at the Bloomsburg/East Stroudsburg game back in 2013. I thought the Olympics broke out with all the offense in that game. Bloomsburg won that game 52-38. It was the highest-scoring non-overtime college football game I had ever attended until that ridiculous 65-47 Penn win over Lehigh earlier this season.

Incidentally, I probably will attend the IUP/Bloomsburg game on Saturday 11/11 if 1) the Philadelphia Eagles' game against Denver on 11/5 isn't shifted to Sunday night* (probably unlikely but still possible as of right now - the NFL will make a decision no later than Tuesday 10/24) and 2) IUP still plays at Bloomsburg that day. (IUP will probably win the PSAC West and play the PSAC East champion that day. Bloomsburg is still in the running for the East Division title, but probably needs to win out prior to that game and have Shippensburg beat Kutztown.) If IUP plays at Kutztown on 11/11 (a distinct possibility at this point), I might go that game, either that one or Holy Cross/Lehigh being most likely. (California (PA)/East Stroudsburg and Colgate/Lafayette, probably in that order, are also still in the running.)

*If the 11/5 Broncos/Eagles game is shifted to NBC SNF, I'll visit the family that weekend, otherwise I'll visit them the weekend of 11/11 & 11/12. There's a Lafayette/George Mason basketball game at GMU on 11/10 I'd like to attend, but I'm already committed to attending the Broncos/Eagles game if it is a Sunday afternoon game; Broncos/Eagles will not be televised in the DC area if it remains at 1 PM ET on CBS. Incidentally, I'll attend the Lafayette/Georgetown football game on 11/4 if Broncos/Eagles stays put. Oh, and the Broncos/Eagles game time also impacts the basketball and possibly hockey games I may attend on 1/20/18. Yes, I'm a little ridiculous about figuring out my in-person game schedule.

LehighU11
October 22nd, 2017, 03:34 PM

Having a CU alum in the family, I've watched the past several Columbia games and am very impressed by the squad Bagnoli has in Morningside Heights. Lots of playmakers on offense, and they have a bruising Tim Tebow/Mike Colvin-style QB they bring in for goal line packages. Defensively, they are very sound and don't miss tackles.

The Lions are a perfect example of what can happen when an institution invests in a football program. Columbia was finally sick of years of miserable results and faced a mutiny from their team in 2014. Fortunately for them, a new AD was able to bring a recently retired Bagnoli up I-95. CU opened up the checkbook to boost assistant coach salaries, hired full-time strength and conditioning coaches, dumped millions into practice facilities, and demonstrated to recruits that they were finally serious about football. There are seniors on this team that saw an 0-10 season as freshmen in 2014. They committed following an 0-10 campaign in 2013. Students and people in Morningside Heights are finally interested in football. Giving Day for athletics during Homecoming week was up 27% from last year, hauling in over $3 million.

If Lehigh, Holy Cross, and Colgate are to make real progress in terms of fielding competitive teams at the FCS level, they would be wise to look to Columbia to see how things have been done since 2015. Open up the wallet to improve coaching staffs and facilities. Give fans and recruits a reason to be excited about our football programs. We may not have the means of Columbia, but we aren't paupers either. I think Lafayette may have woken up earlier than the rest, as they seem to have a decent coach and already have enviable facilities. If Columbia--where losing across athletics has been the norm for decades and where you'd hardly see a single student in University-branded apparel--can win and win and win after such a short rebuild and create excitement for football, why not us?

ngineer
October 22nd, 2017, 05:53 PM
Having a CU alum in the family, I've watched the past several Columbia games and am very impressed by the squad Bagnoli has in Morningside Heights. Lots of playmakers on offense, and they have a bruising Tim Tebow/Mike Colvin-style QB they bring in for goal line packages. Defensively, they are very sound and don't miss tackles.

The Lions are a perfect example of what can happen when an institution invests in a football program. Columbia was finally sick of years of miserable results and faced a mutiny from their team in 2014. Fortunately for them, a new AD was able to bring a recently retired Bagnoli up I-95. CU opened up the checkbook to boost assistant coach salaries, hired full-time strength and conditioning coaches, dumped millions into practice facilities, and demonstrated to recruits that they were finally serious about football. There are seniors on this team that saw an 0-10 season as freshmen in 2014. They committed following an 0-10 campaign in 2013. Students and people in Morningside Heights are finally interested in football. Giving Day for athletics during Homecoming week was up 27% from last year, hauling in over $3 million.

If Lehigh, Holy Cross, and Colgate are to make real progress in terms of fielding competitive teams at the FCS level, they would be wise to look to Columbia to see how things have been done since 2015. Open up the wallet to improve coaching staffs and facilities. Give fans and recruits a reason to be excited about our football programs. We may not have the means of Columbia, but we aren't paupers either. I think Lafayette may have woken up earlier than the rest, as they seem to have a decent coach and already have enviable facilities. If Columbia--where losing across athletics has been the norm for decades and where you'd hardly see a single student in University-branded apparel--can win and win and win after such a short rebuild and create excitement for football, why not us?

While good facilities are needed, one need not have 'Taj Mahal' type buildings. Lafayette's new renovated stadium and football house at the west end zone are beautiful, but when were they built and how has LC done since then? I remember everyone moaning that LC was going to clobber us in recruiting when the project was done and run us out of the Valley. I don't know if they have had a winning season since those facilities were built. Players need good coaches, and I don't object to using the check book to get quality staff. But players at the PL level are typically ones who are not 'bedazzled' by 'stuff'. They are looking for a quality education and quality coaches as mentors as well as feeling at home on the campus with the players. Lehigh has spend a lot of money on the old field house over the past ten years with emphasis on strength and conditioning. We will never be able to get into a spending war with the Ivies. We need to be smart with our resources.

BucBisonAtLarge
October 22nd, 2017, 06:05 PM
31-9 so far...

Colgate- You don't get to 31-9 being a homer around here
Lehigh- Not the same kind of "Titanic collision" we had been anticipating a couple of months ago
Georgetown- Anoint them all, just in case

carney2
October 23rd, 2017, 08:39 AM

I have no Columbia ties, but have become very interested in their season. Saw their last two games on TV and was very impressed.

Someone commented that Lafayette has not had a winning record since the facilities were upgraded. Not true. The renovations were, I believe, complete in time for the 2007 season. 2007, 2008 and 2009 were all winning seasons before the College powers-that-be decided they'd had enough of this needless emphasis on athletics.

Fordham
October 23rd, 2017, 09:13 AM
What's the story on Edmonds at this point. I note Fordham also without Anderson and some other at Georgetown. Held out to rest up for Lehigh or long term IR?
No one knows for certain about their return but I can confirm that no one is being held out to rest up for any game. Every game is a battle for this team and if we could have had either for Gtown they would have played.

Lehigh will crack 60 in this one imo.

the last indian
October 23rd, 2017, 02:22 PM
The narrative that the refs "cost" Colgate the game is wrong. They cost both teams a more fair ending. There's no certainty that Colgate wins without a couple of those penalties. The Raider defense couldn't stop Lehigh. Either way, they're the two best teams in the league and it's really close as to who's better.....

So if the ref takes 3 tD's off the board from Lehigh and none from Colgate you think that Lehigh wins? Get real. That was a joke. I am not blaming the Lehigh kids, they took what was handed to them, but it was not a fair contest. Both these teams work their asses off to excel, but they have every right to expect an even playing field.

TheValleyRaider
October 23rd, 2017, 05:28 PM
Finally got a big week to go my way. 3-0 gets me to 29-15 overall. Not bad, could be better, which I feel could sum up somebody's season this year. Not sure who, exactly, though...

Bucknell at Colgate Colgate Senior Day in Hamilton. That's right, just a bye and two road games after this one for the Raiders. Feels weird, but hopefully that helps keep the team inspired. I mean, beyond the shot at a league title, of course. Bison bring in a stingy defense, but we can play a little of that too. Offense looked comfortable moving the ball against Holy Cross, and while the Bison are more stout, their offense is quite a bit behind. In the end, Bucknell can't keep up with the 'Gate, but it might be ugly for a bit.

Lehigh at Fordham Lehigh At this point I am rooting for the Hawks to drop a couple of games (don't want to think about tiebreakers just yet), though I'm not quite sure where those losses would come from. A game that looked relatively important back in early September seems significantly less so now. Can Fordham's offense (or the Lehigh defense) keep this one close? Maybe, but not enough for me to think an upset is in the cards.

Georgetown at Holy Cross Georgetown There is really no result on the schedule this year that boggles the mind more than the Crusaders' blowout over New Hampshire. What happened to that team (you know, the one that also beat Bucknell convincingly and ran with UConn to start the season)? If the Crusaders were in a good frame of mind, I think they could regroup and get past the punchless Hoyas, but if they can't come out strong after the coach being fired, why would they start now? Picking the Hoyas in PL play always feels like a bit of a risk, but at this point, why not?

ngineer
October 23rd, 2017, 07:28 PM
So if the ref takes 3 tD's off the board from Lehigh and none from Colgate you think that Lehigh wins? Get real. That was a joke. I am not blaming the Lehigh kids, they took what was handed to them, but it was not a fair contest. Both these teams work their asses off to excel, but they have every right to expect an even playing field.

Still drinking the whine three weeks later? That is a sour cork by now....

van
October 26th, 2017, 07:01 AM
not much interest in this weekend games I guess, slipped to page 3

RichH2
October 26th, 2017, 08:03 AM
not much interest in this weekend games I guess, slipped to page 3

Guess not . A big one for us. Bye week rust always concerns me.

Lehigh'98
October 26th, 2017, 08:33 AM
So does Lehigh have to lose two PL games to not get the auto-bid at this point? I don't see any scenario where they lose only one and don't get the tie breaker.

Edit: Nevermind, Bucknell/Laf could still get it with one loss.

van
October 26th, 2017, 08:51 AM
So does Lehigh have to lose two PL games to not get the auto-bid at this point? I don't see any scenario where they lose only one and don't get the tie breaker.

Edit: Nevermind, Bucknell/Laf could still get it with one loss.

both have to play Colgate and expect losses there

Franks Tanks
October 26th, 2017, 08:57 AM
both have to play Colgate and expect losses there

If Lafayette wins out, and Bucknell loses, the Pards get the autobid. This is extremely unlikely to happen as we have virtually no chance at beating Colgate and Lehigh, but it is possible. Lehigh is in the drivers seat, and they should win the league, but I won't be shocked if Lehigh drops one league game.

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2017, 09:42 AM
If Lafayette wins out, and Bucknell loses, the Pards get the autobid. This is extremely unlikely to happen as we have virtually no chance at beating Colgate and Lehigh, but it is possible. Lehigh is in the drivers seat, and they should win the league, but I won't be shocked if Lehigh drops one league game.

If grandma had balls she'd be grandpa......just sayin'xlolx

Bluefish845
October 26th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Colgate
Lehigh
Georgetown

Gangtackle11
October 26th, 2017, 10:52 AM
BUCKNELL 10 @ COLGATE 21
LEHIGH 56 @ FORDHAM 52
GEORGETOWN 13 @ HOLY CROSS 17

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2017, 12:36 PM
LFN Game Preview: Unmet Expectations - And Hope - Will Clash In The Bronx

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/lehigh-at-fordham-game-preview-unmet.html

RichH2
October 26th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Good article LFN. Open question for Rams
Who is actually suiting up?
Question for Lehigh
Can D get at least a few stops to give our O a shot at getting this W?

RichH2
October 26th, 2017, 04:51 PM
We may be irrelevant nationally this year but dont like sliding onto page 2 :)

van
October 26th, 2017, 06:05 PM
BUCKNELL @ COLGATE, Gate O is coming on with frosh QB and Buffs can't score on offense so this should not be close

LEHIGH @ FORDHAM, who is suiting up for the Rams, Engineers rusty from bye week, will there be an D played by either team? should be high scoring with good guys coming out on top

GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS, what ever happened to the crossers? since hoyas can't score should be a win for the purple gang

25-19 on the year

Lehigh Football Nation
October 26th, 2017, 07:56 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if Edmonds and Anderson suit up this weekend. Edmonds hurt his ankle against CCSU in Week 2 and has been on-again, off-again ever since. Anderson hurt his ankle against Lafayette and hasn't been back since. There was also some word on the Fordham board that Anderson was suspended vs. GTown, not hurt.

For me, I'm assuming both with go at home vs. Lehigh.

Chase was held out at the end of the blowout vs. Colgate with 8 yards to break the all-time PL rushing record - and he was held out of the Georgetown game. My theory is that they want him to break the record at home. Plus it would be meaningful to happen vs. Lehigh, who was the opponent for two of his best games as a collegiate player (including the one two years ago at Fordham). So the narrative seems juicy.

Anderson I'm less sure about, but if he broke his ankle, it would have been clear for weeks that he won't be playing. All this chaff about hurt/suspension - it's easier to just assume he'll be the starting guy, licking his chops to get some revenge on Lehigh and to rack up some stats against Lehigh's D.

ColgateTD
October 26th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Colgate
Lehigh
Holy Cross

Go...gate
October 27th, 2017, 02:01 AM
Colgate 23, Bucknell 14

Lehigh 44, Fordham 33

Georgetown 19, Holy Cross 16

Bonus Picks:

Princeton 37, Cornell 13

Hun 28, Peddie 24

van
October 27th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Colgate 23, Bucknell 14

Lehigh 44, Fordham 33

Georgetown 19, Holy Cross 16

Bonus Picks:

Princeton 37, Cornell 13

Hun 28, Peddie 24

will be shocked if Hoyas can put 19 on Cross

LehighU11
October 27th, 2017, 07:23 AM
will be shocked if Hoyas can put 19 on Cross
I'll be just as shocked if Lehigh can hold the Rams to less than 40. Every opponent has put up at least 35 on LU, including Georgetown. Worth noting that the Hoyas have just 11 first half points against 6 opponents other than Lehigh. They put up 14 in the first half at Goodman...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Lehigh at Fordham Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction: Will Anderson and Edmonds Play?

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/lehigh-at-fordham-game-breakdown-and.html

SPOILER ALERT: Yes

- - - Updated - - -

Lehigh
GTown
Colgate

RichH2
October 27th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Lehigh looks to be a shootout. Last on O wins. Hate these games.
Cross
Gate

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 27th, 2017, 06:32 PM
The Wedge's take....

http://thefcswedge.com/a-look-at-what-is-happening-around-the-country/patriot-league-week-9-preview-2/

Lehigh Football Nation
October 27th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Lehigh at Fordham Media Pack (w/ Video): Mountain Hawks Try To Maintain League Momentum in the Bronx

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/lehigh-at-fordham-media-pack-w-video.html

Leopard Loyalist
October 28th, 2017, 12:07 AM
29-15 for a very tough season.

BUCKNELL @ COLGATE
LEHIGH @ FORDHAM
GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Lehigh
Holy Cross
Colgate

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 09:50 AM
As close to unanimous as we ever get. Fingers crossed majority sweeps today. :)

van
October 28th, 2017, 10:07 AM
As close to unanimous as we ever get. Fingers crossed majority sweeps today. :)

even Andy seemed optimistic in his TV interview this week

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Games about to start! Hopefully Lehigh's defense figured something out during the break. There' no way Fordham is going to stop their offense. Just hold the Rams under 40...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Well that didn't take long! My goodness! TD Rams!

7-0 FU 13:15 1Q

CHIP72
October 28th, 2017, 12:16 PM
FWIW, the Lehigh/Fordham game IS being televised on Stadium TV (Channel 820 on Verizon FiOS).

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Lehigh responds in less than a minute. Records will fall today...

7-7 12:28 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Lehigh's OL is destroying the Ram front 7...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Mayes with a terrible int. Had 10 yards in front of him instead throws across his body and is picked...

TheValleyRaider
October 28th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Bucknell 3
Colgate 6
End 1st

Raiders scored on the first drive, but the PAT was blocked. Bucknell had a decent drive that ended in a FG. Colgate has been able to get some big plays on offense, we'll see if they can take advantage to pull out to a bigger lead. Just converted a 4th down in Bison territory, still driving

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:41 PM
Lehigh "D" comes up with a huge 4th down stop at the 7 yard line!

LehighU11
October 28th, 2017, 12:43 PM
And a disappointing fumble right away. Brad needs to do better than that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Mayes with another terrible turnover. This time it's deep his own territory...

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:45 PM
And Fordham misses a chip short FG. Watch 20 minutes of this game and it's clear why these are 2 win teams...

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Mayes with another terrible turnover. This time it's deep his own territory...

Just can’t defend this garbage any more. Change MUST come

LehighU11
October 28th, 2017, 12:48 PM
And another defensive stop followed by a near 3rd turnover. Who is this Lehigh team that showed up? Did we take Lafayette's team to the Bronx and put them in LU uniforms? Incompetent on O, solid on D. Still, the defensive performance so far is encouraging for the remainder of the season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:49 PM

Should have had another int. Terrible just heave into double coverage. Fordham DB dropped the ball.....

LehighU11
October 28th, 2017, 12:50 PM
Hey, we got our change. Now we have a respectable D following the bye xdrunkyx

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 12:53 PM
Hey, we got our change. Now we have a respectable D following the bye xdrunkyx

I must be watching a different game

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 12:56 PM
That’s the D we’ve come to expect. Awful!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 12:56 PM
TD Fordham!! Lehigh's offense needs to do something or they're screwed....

14-7 Rams

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 01:03 PM
This possession here feels like the game. Fordham TD and it's likely curtains....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Much needed drive by the Lehigh offense. Mayes made a ton of plays with his legs.

14-14 0:53 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Lehigh and Fordham tied at 14 at the half.

Mayes with two terrible turnovers which killed the offense. Defense made some good plays. If they hold Fordham to under 30 points they better win....

TheValleyRaider
October 28th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Bucknell 3
Colgate 33
Halftime

Colgate scored quickly to start the quarter, then got a pick, converting that into another TD a few plays later. 3 minutes into the second, the rout was on. 2 more scoring drives have extended the lead, and the Raiders are in complete control so far

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 01:23 PM
Colgate is just destroying Bucknell at the half, 33-3.....

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2017, 01:26 PM
Georgetown 3
Holy Cross 13
Halftime

Georgetown: 1 yard total offense in the second quarter.

van
October 28th, 2017, 01:27 PM
And another defensive stop followed by a near 3rd turnover. Who is this Lehigh team that showed up? Did we take Lafayette's team to the Bronx and put them in LU uniforms? Incompetent on O, solid on D. Still, the defensive performance so far is encouraging for the remainder of the season.

the team we thought we left in Staten Island reappeared

Sader87
October 28th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Colgate is clearly the best team in a very bad league this year....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Fordham's backup RB just roasted the Lehigh D. He's got 165 yards on 16 carries...

21-14 Rams 12:08 3Q

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Yep, D real sharp?????? Putrid!

LehighU11
October 28th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Fordham's backup RB just roasted the Lehigh D.

That's been a recurring event this season.

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 01:54 PM
WTF is Mayes doing. Should have been another pick

LehighU11
October 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Yep, D real sharp?????? Putrid!
Holding Fordham to 14 in the first half, recording a sack, and making several stops in the red zone was an improvement. Now the no-D appears to have reared its ugly head.

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Feel bad for Dom. Only guy really putting out.

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 02:03 PM
LU offense a no show for most of this game. Mayes forcing plays. Brisson has to get these guys in sync.

hawkineer
October 28th, 2017, 02:03 PM
The defense is obviously not great, but this is on the offense.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure what the TOP is but Lehigh seems like they've had the ball all game....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Another turnover inside the Fordham 10. Just horrific self inflicted wounds....

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 02:18 PM
Hey Lehigh holds onto the ball and they score!!

21-21 2:03 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Took 90 seconds for the Lehigh defense to collapse again. Just ridiculous how this team simply can't put it together...

Fordham 28-21 0:53 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Another turnover! Mayes throws it right to the Fordham defender. Rams can put go for the kill shot....

You can't win with a -4 turnover ratio....

Lehigh'98
October 28th, 2017, 02:27 PM
We stink. Hope we don't end up in the playoffs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Fordham settles for a FG
Rams 31-21 13:55 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 03:01 PM
TD Rams! Lehigh is nearly out of their misery...

38-28 6:06 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 03:08 PM
...but Lehigh goes down the field and scores.

38-35 Fordham 3:18 4Q

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Would be nice if D could get a stop right now.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Lehigh is having another player taken off on a stretcher. Third time this season....

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Georgetown 10
Holy Cross 24
Final

Seven straight losses, 15 of 16. Hoyas are 2-17 in the month of October since 2013.

Expect a lot of grumbling this week at Georgetown with Homecoming on deck.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Now the entire defensive staff should be left in New York. What a complete embarrassment by the Lehigh front 7.

3rd and 14 and the back up RB goes up the gut for 50 yard game winning TD. 297 yards rushing....lol

CHIP72
October 28th, 2017, 03:28 PM
I intend to attend next week's Lafayette/Georgetown clash, and I'm really curious to see how small the crowd will be.

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Now the entire defensive staff should be left in New York. What a complete embarrassment by the Lehigh front 7.

wrong , entire staff needs to be dumped into the Hudson

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 03:31 PM
wrong , entire staff needs to be dumped into the Hudson

I think that has to come in to play now!! Something must be done. Absolutely a terrible performance off a bye...

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Out coached.......again! CLEAN HOUSE

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 03:34 PM
For the sake of the league Lehigh needs to lose another game and I think they will. The coaching just isn't capable of putting a good product on the field. What a dumpster fire....

Southsider
October 28th, 2017, 03:37 PM
For the sake of the league Lehigh needs to lose another game and I think they will. The coaching just isn't capable of putting a good product on the field. What a dumpster fire....

.....and for the program! WTF is it going to take to get this staff out of here????

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 03:37 PM
It just never gets better. Decent 1st half then a total collapse in the second. O didnt have a great day without we just cannot win. This has been going on too long. Truly another embarrassing performance.

Lehigh'98
October 28th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Man I almost hope Lafayette runs us off the field to force some action of change.

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Man I almost hope Lafayette runs us off the field to force some action of change.

Cant ever hope that. But, c'mon Andy this D fiasco has been going on for years now. Fix this damn mess. So tired of seeing the same crap year after year.

Neighbor2
October 28th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I'll try to be as reserved on all this as I can.

For whatever reason, and there are MANY, this season just didn't work out. Even with a win against Lafayette, this season is a loser. I feel bad for the players. I really do. In the end, it's the paid adults who didn't make the right decisions. The same paid adults who were in place ever since that inexcusable display at Yankee Stadium. So . . . . what to do?

Get NEW paid adults! It's time.

Seriously, how can players and fans feel at all positive about 2018 without a full and COMPLETE new look? Yes, that means a different Head Coach. Nothing less will do. Our PLAYERS deserve a better outlook, and they need it NOW!

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Five of the seven PL teams have a guaranteed losing record in 2017.

Colgate has all but clinched a winning record at 5-4 with Lafayette and Georgetown to close the season...never mind, they have clinched.

Bucknell must win two of its next three between Lehigh, Georgetown and at Fordham.

Sader87
October 28th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Lehigh is probably going to win the league at 5-6......fitting

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 28th, 2017, 04:13 PM

I doubt they win out. The defense is easily the worst in the history of the league and Mayes has way too many mental mistakes.

DFW HOYA
October 28th, 2017, 04:14 PM

Sader, your thoughts on one of Division I's worst offenses today?

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 04:21 PM
I doubt they win out. The defense is easily the worst in the history of the league and Mayes has way too many mental mistakes.

Cant root against us but geez Colgate would be a better playoff team right now than we would. We won the stat battle today. Difference 4TOs to Rams 0.
Mistakes abounded on O today and not just Mayes. But without a good Mayes showing we will not win. Our D stops nobody.

Sader87
October 28th, 2017, 04:27 PM

Well, we almost lost (for the second time this year) by giving up negative rushing yardage.

Had to be the worst game played at the FCS-level in the country today....both schools should be embarrassed, but they won't be.

That those two schools, with the resources they both have, can put out such a terrible product in football is almost criminal. I think both are going to start looking into dropping the sport soon.

Lehigh'98
October 28th, 2017, 04:37 PM

But they would beat the 95 team by 21. Lol

hawkineer
October 28th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Cant root against us but geez Colgate would be a better playoff team right now than we would. We won the stat battle today. Difference 4TOs to Rams 0.
Mistakes abounded on O today and not just Mayes. But without a good Mayes showing we will not win. Our D stops nobody.
Mayes wasn't great but it is unfair to put that much pressure on one player. Pelletier was awful with a critical drop right before the 2nd INT.

The entire defensive staff should be fired now. How much worse could the defense be with no coaches? 300 yards to a 3rd string running back. Chase must have been devastated not to be able to play against this Swiss cheese. He could have had 300 yards on one leg.

hawkineer
October 28th, 2017, 05:05 PM
But they would beat the 95 team by 21. Lol
95 team won the league title with the OT win over LC.

van
October 28th, 2017, 05:09 PM

is that the offense that put up 35 on us?

Lehigh'98
October 28th, 2017, 05:14 PM

Owl said in another thread this year would win by 21 vs them. I called him nuts. Lol

CHIP72
October 28th, 2017, 05:17 PM

The famous diving catch in the end zone in the twilight. I wasn’t following Lehigh (or Lafayette) football at that point, but even I remember that play. I think that game was on Channel 69, or maybe even Channel 39, in the Lehigh Valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Mayes wasn't great but it is unfair to put that much pressure on one player. Pelletier was awful with a critical drop right before the 2nd INT.

The entire defensive staff should be fired now. How much worse could the defense be with no coaches? 300 yards to a 3rd string running back. Chase must have been devastated not to be able to play against this Swiss cheese. He could have had 300 yards on one leg.

Absolutely not fair to put the pressure on Brad but that is the reality this year. D stops nobody. Therefore O cant leave points on the field. We had 3 redzone TOs not all on Brad. Simple truth for us is O needs to outscore anybody we play. D got 6 stops today. Likely best we've done all year. Still gave up 45 pts and 297 yds to Rams 2nd string RB. Not much upon which to see any improvement this year on D. Now in our 4th year of bad defense. One wonders if it will ever get better. Ugh.

Sader87
October 28th, 2017, 06:42 PM
I just can't see Lehigh losing at Bucknell (awful offense) or at home to either HC (a perfect mess right now) or Laffy (young, shaky O etc)...they will be odds on favorites in every game.

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=Sader87;2556312]I just can't see Lehigh losing at Bucknell (awful offense) or at home to either HC (a perfect mess right now) or Laffy (young, shaky O etc)...they will be odds on favorites in every game.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately with our D an L is always possible. The mere fact that we are still in the conversation is a sad commentary on PL this season.

The Boogie Down
October 28th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Still gave up 45 pts and 297 yds to Rams 2nd string RB.

3rd string, maybe 4th. Jarred Brevard was our 2nd string guy but he's out for the year. With Brevard and Chase both out earlier this season, Palladino was the next one up but then freshman Zach Davis emerged and for a game or two appeared to be the better talent. Then he went down as well and that's when Palladino became our starting RB.

van
October 28th, 2017, 08:45 PM
I just can't see Lehigh losing at Bucknell (awful offense) or at home to either HC (a perfect mess right now) or Laffy (young, shaky O etc)...they will be odds on favorites in every game.

well you obviously did not see the wreck in the Bronx today

RichH2
October 28th, 2017, 08:59 PM
3rd string, maybe 4th. Jarred Brevard was our 2nd string guy but he's out for the year. With Brevard and Chase both out earlier this season, Palladino was the next one up but then freshman Zach Davis emerged and for a game or two appeared to be the better talent. Then he went down as well and that's when Palladino became our starting RB.
Poetic a 4th string RB. Dang :)

The Boogie Down
October 28th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Poetic a 4th string RB. Dang :)

"4th string" sounds way worse than "2nd string" when it's time to make the case to change coaches. Our losing record featuring losses to the likes of Bryant and Lafayette is a case onto itself.

Sader87
October 28th, 2017, 09:41 PM
well you obviously did not see the wreck in the Bronx today

No, but I've seen HC all year (God help me) and a decent amount of Lafayette and Bucknell....all terrible teams...Lehigh will win all 3 games by double digits imo

ngineer
October 28th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Well, I was in da' Bronx. Returned home and needed to decompress my depression...by watching my DVR of the Penn State meltdown. Made me feel a tad better. The highlight of the game was the halftime performance by "Drums of Thunder" an all-boys drumming group made up of 10 & 11 year olds from Monclair NJ. Check them out via a google.

This was a dumpster fire on all sides. The only guy who performed well was Bragalone. He had a monster day. We finally discovered that no-one covers him when he swings out of the backfield. We even threw TWO screen passes today!! I almost fainted. Mayes may have a nice arm, but his decision making is deteriorating. He holds the ball too long and doesn't protect. He's a junior playing like a freshman. The first INT should never have been thrown as he a clear 15 yards to toward the endzone he could have covered for either a TD or first and goal. The loss of Casey on the third play of the game allowed Fordham to double up Pelletier all day, and then when he did get a few chances he dropped the ball. It seems this lack of focus/mental sharpness is contagious and it's spreading. Too me, this lack of focus and intensity is on the coaches. Andy, as usual, seemed disassociated on the sideline. Headset on, but mic "up", so he's not talking to his coordinators. Just watching and following along like the rest of us. This is disconcerting. The loss of Paulson to a serious head/neck injury is our third such incident this year. The Defense actually seemed improved for the first half, after the horrendous start by waving at the Fordham RB. As the game went one, they got worse. The tackling was horrendous. Several of the long gains were runs that should have been stopped in the backfield--reaching and grabbing.

While we will still be the Pathetic League Champ this year, if we win out; part of me almost doesn't want that. I cannot imagine this defense having to go up against UNH or Richmond or Delaware in a first round game. I am so disappointed with this performance. Remindful of Wagner game in some respects, but the problem is THIS game had big implications and the team failed to respond and come with the intensity that a true champion has when the need to win is there. I guess there has to be "a" champion, but I agree that based upon the season's "body of work" Colgate probably has the best chance of representing the PL in a non-embarrassing way. There must be some major changes in the philosophy of this team's approach. Maybe the players need to hear a "new voice", at the very least there must be complete change on Defense. They need to spend some money and bring in an established FCS level DC who know what the hell defense is all about. Championships start with defense. I feel like we're almost a freak show. This split personality of a team that puts up gaudy offensive stats that look good in a media release and at the same time have a defense that would have trouble stopping 1-6 DIII Moravian. I cannot believe our players are that much worse than all the other teams. It has to be the scheme, philosophy and coaching techniques being applied. I was planning on driving to Bucknell next week. If the team isn't going to make the effort, why should I??

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2017, 12:18 AM
Owl said in another thread this year would win by 21 vs them. I called him nuts. Lol

I still think '92-'96 PL football was terrible overall but you might have a point..lol.

This is just a complete disaster. I mean the defense is literally the worst ever.

Sader87
October 29th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Patriot League football sucks in general....no mattah the era

CHIP72
October 29th, 2017, 05:09 AM

Shouldn't that be "no mattah the erah"?

Lehigh'98
October 29th, 2017, 05:13 AM
I still think '92-'96 PL football was terrible overall but you might have a point..lol.

This is just a complete disaster. I mean the defense is literally the worst ever.

We have to have set some type of ncaa record for runs allowed over 30 yards. I've literally never seen anything like it and I have been watching football religiously since 1982.

Gate83
October 29th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Gate football doesn't suck. Quit whining & fix your team...

Colgate Raider Redux
October 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26374&stc=1

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me !"

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 29th, 2017, 10:58 AM

It doesn't suck but it's not nationally good either as indicated by the OOC results. Everyone in the league needs to improve!

Colgate Raider Redux
October 29th, 2017, 11:15 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26376&stc=1

ngineer
October 29th, 2017, 02:05 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26376&stc=1

This calls for a 'tongue in cheek' comment.

LehighU11
October 29th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Some encouraging news after yesterday's debacle. It appears that Lehigh TE Drew Paulsen didn't suffer any fractures following a scary collision from on an onside kick in the 4th. Sounds like a nasty concussion, but he is otherwise alright.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2017, 07:05 PM

No, it does not, and HC is one of the reasons that statement is inaccurate.

P.S. HC left a poor coach in place for far too long.

Go...gate
October 29th, 2017, 07:07 PM

Thank you. It is beyond me why some of us continually defecate on the league instead of focusing on the problems of our own programs. It REALLY gets old after a while.

RichH2
October 29th, 2017, 07:33 PM
Thank you. Why some of us continually defecate on the league instead of focusing on the problems of our own programs is beyond me. It REALLY gets old after a while.

The PL is not an entity separate from its members. Down this year because each program has its own issues. go gate is spot on. I' m not as couth. Shut TFU and worry about your house while we worry about ours. If each program works to solve its issues lo and behold PL will be relevant.

ngineer
October 29th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Some encouraging news after yesterday's debacle. It appears that Lehigh TE Drew Paulsen didn't suffer any fractures following a scary collision from on an onside kick in the 4th. Sounds like a nasty concussion, but he is otherwise alright.

Good to hear. He was out cold from my view with the binoculars. Probably miss next week, and possibly an second depending on protocols.

Colgate Raider Redux
October 29th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Thank you. Why some of us continually defecate on the league instead of focusing on the problems of our own programs is beyond me. It REALLY gets old after a while.
It is old... and apparently hc87 doesn't realize how people can see through to the pain of his embarrassment. But, I can only be empathetic to a degree. I can come up with a lot of reasons why hc87's defecating on the PL increases--the more embarrassing the HC situation becomes. Make no mistake about it, HC FB has devolved into an unparalled mess, reflecting years of unprecedented neglect and ridiculous decision-making. Paralleled by an underlying institutional identity crisis. The combo is unparalleled in the PL--not even close. FULL STOP! I don't think 87's remarks are just sarcasm, deliberate self deprecation or intended to just get a rise out of readers. His barbs reflect some kind of perverse and/or pathological need. In observing hc87's impulsive comments over time, I often wonder if the parents of hc87's high school junior varsity student-athletes know how this role model spends his spare time spitting out insults to the athletic conference of his alma mater ??
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26385&stc=1

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2017, 05:57 PM
Fordham Shows Lehigh How To Win Football Games By Acting Like A Team

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/fordham-shows-lehigh-how-to-win.html

Go...gate
October 30th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Fordham Shows Lehigh How To Win Football Games By Acting Like A Team

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/10/fordham-shows-lehigh-how-to-win.html

Nicely done, LFN.

RichH2
September 22nd, 2023, 05:59 PM
The tenor has changed this season. Dunno if it'll last but hopeful that it sticks around.

crusader11
September 22nd, 2023, 06:57 PM
Helluva throwback here, Rich.