PDA

View Full Version : #14 SAMFORD @ #5 WOFFORD (Homecoming GAME THREAD)

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 11:28 AM
LETS GO!!!! Good luck and Injury Free football!!!!! lets get after it.....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26335&stc=1

grizband
October 21st, 2017, 12:55 PM
Back and forth so far, neither team really doing anything major to this point. Have been surprised to see Wofford attempt a couple long passes...takes me back to 2007, when they beat Montana in the playoffs attempting exactly 2 passes.

grizband
October 21st, 2017, 12:59 PM
Wofford runner looked to have a clear TD, but the ball is fumbled out of bounds at the 1; luckily for Wofford it wasn't fumbled into the endzone.

grizband
October 21st, 2017, 01:00 PM
Wofford scores on the ensuing play. Now lead 7-0 with 2:38 left in the 1st quarter.

grizband
October 21st, 2017, 01:15 PM
Wofford intercepts a floater thrown by the Samford QB at the 5...Wofford gets the ball back at their 4 yard line. 13:36 left in the first half.

grizband
October 21st, 2017, 01:17 PM
Wofford can't move the ball after the interception...punts the ball to Samford, who fair catches at the Wofford 41.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2017, 03:36 PM
We now have a 4 way tie for first in the SoCon.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 03:37 PM
One of the toughest losses I’ve ever endured. I am a grown man in tears right now. Go ahead and call me a pussy. But three key late unfortunate events caused this loss.

1. A Wofford player’s helmet came off recovering a fumble so instead of Wofford ball deep in Samford territory, it was 15 yard penalty and automatic first down for Samford.
2. Wofford player field a kickoff going out of bounds at the 10 yard line and steps out of bounds. We get the ball at the 10 and not the 35.
3. A terrible call by the refs not calling offsides on Samford and forcing Wofford to call its last time out.

I am on suicicde watch.

grizband
October 21st, 2017, 03:37 PM
Samford intercepts the ball on Wofford's last second attempt to win the game.

Samford 24
Wofford 21
:06 left in the 4th quarter

Earlier in the drive, Wofford was forced to use their last timeout, after the Samford Nose Tackle appeared to push the center into the QB before the ball was snapped. No penalty flag was thrown, tough way to lose the game.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM
Samford intercepts the ball on Wofford's last second attempt to win the game.

Samford 24
Wofford 21
:06 left in the 4th quarter

Earlier in the drive, Wofford was forced to use their last timeout, after the Samford Nose Tackle appeared to push the center into the QB before the ball was snapped. No penalty flag was thrown, tough way to lose the game.

I’m not 100% certain, but it sure looked like the Wofford center moved the ball. If the NG just shoved the C, the odds of the QB getting the transfer are virtually nil. The QB got the ball, which suggests that the center moved it. Once he moves it, he’s fair game.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 03:42 PM
I’m not 100% certain, but it sure looked like the Wofford center moved the ball. If the NG just shoved the C, the odds of the QB getting the transfer are virtually nil. The QB got the ball, which suggests that the center moved it. Once he moves it, he’s fair game.
I must disagree...I never saw that, and neither did the game annoucers

JHWCUGrad07
October 21st, 2017, 04:07 PM
To me it appeared the ball was moved by the center. I watched it several times and the ball appears to move just the slightest bit.

SU DOG
October 21st, 2017, 04:08 PM
SAMFORD game announcers saw that, and apparently ALL the officials saw it.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 04:11 PM
Maybe he did move it. I guess my bias might have blinded me to it. And the ESPN announcers were the Wofford guys so same goes with them. In any event, congrats to Samford. You played better than us and deserve the victory. I hope we get another shot at you in the playoffs.

SU DOG
October 21st, 2017, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a rematch, but, Samford's road is still no cake walk. Also. my preference for all SoCon teams that make it is to play some other conferences. I think we could pick up some needed respect by that.

Milktruck74
October 21st, 2017, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to a rematch, but, Samford's road is still no cake walk. Also. my preference for all SoCon teams that make it is to play some other conferences. I think we could pick up some needed respect by that.

THIS^^^^^^^^

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 04:23 PM
SoCon teams will not play each other in the first round. I am rooting for all SoCon teams to win in that first round and then after that as long as they’re not playing Wofford.

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 04:29 PM
Center never moved the ball. I have the film. Here it is

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 04:45 PM
Here is the First play....the "SNAP"

https://www.facebook.com/ross.taylor.1232/videos/10210699033538869/?l=8467572998219132029

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 04:47 PM
Here is the Samford QB fumble in the Red Zone that turned into a 21 yard penalty against Wofford.....

https://www.facebook.com/ross.taylor.1232/videos/10210699033058857/?l=8672089354150050856

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 04:50 PM
But...what are you going to do? Cant cry about it now......On to the next one....funny how many mistakes we made, add in the crazy couple calls that went against us late, and there we were still with great shots to win the game. Proud as hell of my boys. As tough a team as there is in the country.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 04:52 PM
But...what are you going to do? Cant cry about it now......On to the next one....funny how many mistakes we made, add in the crazy couple calls that went against us late, and there we were still with great shots to win the game. Proud as hell of my boys. As tough a team as there is in the country.
+1

SU DOG
October 21st, 2017, 05:01 PM
IMO, Western Carolina had lots MORE to be upset about in those calls that Wofford got at the end of that game.

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 05:04 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26339&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26340&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

is what it is....on to the next one.....

Reign of Terrier
October 21st, 2017, 05:36 PM
Credit to Samford. It was a hard fought game and wofford came out on the short end. I can’t go as in depth as I’d like being away from a computer for the next 24 hours or so, but here are some thoughts:

1) we lost the turnover battle, which we won’t win against anyone that way
2) Joe Newman tried to throw it out of the end zone on that last pick. Sucks.
3) I’m more disappointed in how the coaches called this one. Our center, Roo Daniel was having trouble snapping the ball all day. He had a hairline fracture from tha Western Carolina game and was back after a week or so after surgery. We fumbled at least 4 or 5 snaps. They were consistently high. Thankfully we didn’t lose possession on those snaps but on at least 3-4 possessions those fumbled were costly. We were pretty successful moving the ball other than that, averaging 6 yards per rush.
4) wofford rush defense basically told Samford hat Hodges would have to beat us (held them to 10 yards on the ground). He did. 440ish yards through the air.
5) I would be very frustrated if I was Samford. The hatch attack is legit but the playcalling holds them back
6) Samford is our curse, there’s no denying it now there’s a clear trend.
7) we still were in position to win this game in spite of all of this. Game of inches.
8) Socon is still going to be competitive. We have 4 legit playoff teams who should be ranked and Mercer can still mess up Samford or western. I think wofford should drop in the polls but if you drop them out of the top 10 idk what to tell you.
9) I’m not surprised by this outcome (I thought it was likely, in spite of less optimal data from Samford), but man is it frustrating. My bull**** math modeling predicted wofford winning the Socon outright with a loss to Samford and I didn’t want that.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2017, 05:57 PM
I imagine Wofford will drop out of the top 10. Folks were looking for an excuse to do so, and today was probably as good a reason as any.

I won’t say that’s correct, but I get why they would.

sudog03
October 21st, 2017, 06:13 PM
And we'd undefeated in league if the refs didn't call a terrible personal foul against us at WCU. It's Socon officiating.

Terrier19
October 21st, 2017, 06:24 PM
I like our spot. Still think Wofford wins the conference. Samford is completely 1 dimensional (albeit a pretty damn good dimension) And the defense is still very suspect. For all the yards gained through the air by Samford, Wofford still outgained Samford. Wofford with #7,8,9 in the conference left (ETSU, VMI, and CHATT). Samford has played 1 less FCS game and has 4 remaining (Mercer, Furman, Chatt and ETSU). I think they probably get clipped along the way.

I think Wofford wins out the FCS schedule and will be sitting pretty come selection day, and will be with the conference crown in hand. Just hate that we will have to get some help along the way now. But we can't worry about that, just focus on our own games and handle business. ETSU coming off the BYE this week like Samford was this week....another team with a 2 week heal and prep.

Was a good game. Wofford self inflicted wounds were the theme of the day, the countless bad snaps today, the penalties and the turnovers. The calls in the end were bad, but we had plenty of opportunities to put this game away a long time ago. Was our own fault.

Cat-in-GA
October 21st, 2017, 07:51 PM
And we'd undefeated in league if the refs didn't call a terrible personal foul against us at WCU. It's Socon officiating.

And we'd be undefeated in the conference if the refs had called a blatant hold and if the refs had recognized an incomplete pass rather than call it an interception.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 08:12 PM
I get that officials are human and everyone makes mistakes. But something is amiss when every team in the league points to games they think the zebras may have influenced the outcome of. I want to win but I want the wins to be fair and square to where theirs no doubt in anyone’s mind that we deserved to win. I’m all about fair play. The SoCon should investigate...

SU_IT_able
October 21st, 2017, 08:31 PM
Couple of thoughts...why doesn't Wofford have instant replay review capability? Also...woulda, shoulda, coulda...Samford missed a couple of scoring opportunities early on an ill advised interception in the red zone and a missed FG. Both teams had missed opportunities but all in all a very entertaining game.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2017, 08:32 PM
I get that officials are human and everyone makes mistakes. But something is amiss when every team in the league points to games they think the zebras may have influenced the outcome of. I want to win but I want the wins to be fair and square to where theirs no doubt in anyone’s mind that we deserved to win. I’m all about fair play. The SoCon should investigate...

I think the refs give their best effort. The goal is to win by enough that a poor call by the refs doesn’t screw you.

I imagine they all balance out over the course of a season. Maybe they sunk you today, but saved you earlier in the season.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 09:50 PM
Couple of thoughts...why doesn't Wofford have instant replay review capability? Also...woulda, shoulda, coulda...Samford missed a couple of scoring opportunities early on an ill advised interception in the red zone and a missed FG. Both teams had missed opportunities but all in all a very entertaining game.
does anyone in the SoCon have it besides The Citadel?

ElCid
October 21st, 2017, 10:00 PM
does anyone in the SoCon have it besides The Citadel?

Mercer.

woffordgrad94
October 21st, 2017, 10:48 PM
Okay then. If you don’t have it you have no right asking why someone else doesn’t have it. Not trying to be an ass, but that’s my opinion.

wcugrad95
October 21st, 2017, 11:31 PM
All SoCon teams are required to have it by the 2019 season - that is a direct reply from the league commissioner.