View Full Version : JMU Fends Off Big-Timers In Recruiting Wars

BDKJMU
February 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM
JMU Fends Off Big-Timers In Recruiting Wars
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=8662&CHID=3

http://www.coachmatthews.com/07class/index.php

ASU
February 8th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Saw this quote in James MAdison piece just mentioned, "JMU also used scholarships on a kicker – Dixon Wright of Boone, N.C. "

Odd that Appalachian did not sign Boone,NC punter Dixon Wright since they are in Boone, NC or did the ASU coaching staff refer James Madison to him, even though the two schools are playing a home and home series. Did see where he went to June football camp there.

Tribe4SF
February 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM
JMU fans and Mickey! The best entertainment around!:hurray:

You lost Lee Chapple to Ga. Southern, Philip Thaxton to Delaware, Chris Franklin to Towson, and Dennis Mathis to Hampton. Good thing you can beat up on the big boys! (Oh, I forgot, in the end you either withdrew the offers, or they didn't qualify, and you have it all from a reliable source.)

Congratulations on a good class!:hurray:

BDKJMU
February 9th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Every year top IAAs lose guys they wanted to get. Of the top tier recruits top IAAs go after, bottom tier IA recruits who have one to several IA offers, they hope to snag a few. Then there's the guys who have multiple IAA offers, and they hope to get a good percentage of those they offer. I don't know if that would be over half or not. From what I've read in the past number of years its been trending towards early commitments. So say if you have 17 schlorships to give. If you have 10 early committments and you're saving a couple schlorships for transers, for those last 5 schlorships there might be 10-15 guys you go after. You lose some to the IAs, you lose some to other IAAs, and you snag your last 5 signees. Every year JMU loses multiple recruits they want to other IAAs, as does W&M, as does every other IAA school. In the last 3 years its probably been less for JMU than prior. Bottom line is JMU still had a damn good class for a IAA, one thats probably superior to what W&M signed. :)

Tribe4SF
February 9th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Every year top IAAs lose guys they wanted to get. Of the top tier recruits top IAAs go after, bottom tier IA recruits who have one to several IA offers, they hope to snag a few. Then there's the guys who have multiple IAA offers, and they hope to get a good percentage of those they offer. I don't know if that would be over half or not. From what I've read in the past number of years its been trending towards early commitments. So say if you have 17 schlorships to give. If you have 10 early committments and you're saving a couple schlorships for transers, for those last 5 schlorships there might be 10-15 guys you go after. You lose some to the IAs, you lose some to other IAAs, and you snag your last 5 signees. Every year JMU loses multiple recruits they want to other IAAs, as does W&M, as does every other IAA school. In the last 3 years its probably been less for JMU than prior. Bottom line is JMU still had a damn good class for a IAA, one thats probably superior to what W&M signed. :)

Of course, that goes without saying!:smiley_wi

Franks Tanks
February 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM
JMU fans and Mickey! The best entertainment around!:hurray:

You lost Lee Chapple to Ga. Southern, Philip Thaxton to Delaware, Chris Franklin to Towson, and Dennis Mathis to Hampton. Good thing you can beat up on the big boys! (Oh, I forgot, in the end you either withdrew the offers, or they didn't qualify, and you have it all from a reliable source.)

Congratulations on a good class!:hurray:

Good thing D-II Bloomsburg State doesnt recruit in Virginia, then JMU would have as much trouble competing with them as they ddi on the field :smiley_wi

henfan
February 9th, 2007, 07:55 AM
In all but a few very rare cases, FCS schools cannot lure recruits away from top tier BCS schools. Don't believe the post Signing Day propoganda.

Umass74
February 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
In all but a few very rare cases, FCS schools cannot lure recruits away from top tier BCS schools. Don't believe the post Signing Day propoganda.

In New England it's often the other way around. Syracuse and BC are famous for recruiting "phenoms" from California and Texas or somewhere and ignoring local kids. The last couple days they get turned down and then they rush athletes who have verbaled to UMass, Northeastern, UNH and and the like. UMass usually looses a couple of recruits every year.:(

henfan
February 9th, 2007, 11:02 AM
UMass usually looses a couple of recruits every year.:(

Tell me about it! BC poached a kid who verballed to us this season.: smh :

BDKJMU
February 9th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Good thing D-II Bloomsburg State doesnt recruit in Virginia, then JMU would have as much trouble competing with them as they ddi on the field :smiley_wi

Who's Bloomsburg State?