View Full Version : Elon suffers major blow to potential CAA title and playoff hopes

MTfan4life
October 17th, 2017, 10:01 PM
I know this has been quietly mentioned in a couple threads, but I felt it deserved a little more attention.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/sports/20171013/elon-loses-summers-to-season-ending-injury

The standout running back, the Football Championship Subdivision’s national leader in rushing, has a torn hamstring, a season-ending injury suffered late in last week’s victory against William & Mary.

This is significant to their hopes because he was such a big part in their consecutive wins over Charleston Southern, Richmond, and Albany. In those games, he averaged 34 carries for just over 210 yards per game. It's safe to say they had been relying on him quite heavily. Also, that overuse likely played a factor in his injury. It will be interesting to see how they respond going forward.

dewey
October 17th, 2017, 10:03 PM
Terrible news to hear for a program that is having a very good season so far.

Hopefully he fully recovers and is ready to go next season.

Dewey

cx500d
October 17th, 2017, 10:18 PM
hmmm...I wonder if people wouldn't have ranked them so high if they knew this prior to voting...

NorthChuckSouth
October 17th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Hate to hear this.. incredibly talented young man. Hope the best for him and the phoenix

Schism55
October 17th, 2017, 10:44 PM
Sorry to hear for this kid, that's a rough injury. Here's to a full and speedy recovery.
Next man up!

BisonTru
October 17th, 2017, 10:53 PM
Horrible news. Feel bad for the kid on such a great start to the season, but the offensive line play (haven't watched them much) probably has been good as well. Hopefully they can find a back or committee of backs to shoulder the load. Either way, hopefully he heals well for his senior year.

JSUSoutherner
October 17th, 2017, 11:15 PM
hmmm...I wonder if people wouldn't have ranked them so high if they knew this prior to voting...
I'm not knocking them down until we see how this affects Elon. Successful running games are often due in part to a good offensive line. If that's the case, in theory the rushing attack shouldn't disappear completely.

Truth is we don't know. I'm not jumping to conclusions. If it's a major issue we will see in the next two weeks when Elon visits Villanova.

woffordgrad94
October 18th, 2017, 03:57 AM
That’s too bad. I hate to see a kid get injured and miss significant playing time. Here’s hoping he has a speedy recovery.

Gangtackle11
October 18th, 2017, 06:08 AM
I'm not knocking them down until we see how this affects Elon. Successful running games are often due in part to a good offensive line. If that's the case, in theory the rushing attack shouldn't disappear completely.

Truth is we don't know. I'm not jumping to conclusions. If it's a major issue we will see in the next two weeks when Elon visits Villanova.

Villanova will be coming off its bye week & now faces weekly elimination from playoffs. Throw in that the DC and DL assistant are an ex-Villanova coach (Tony Trisciani) & former player (Dylan Lucas) and it has all the makings of a slobber knocker.

Nova didn’t expect to burn the redshirt of highly touted QB Kyle McCloskey, but now that we did here is to hoping he “ignites” the offense to double digits. All we may need to beat Elon after this bye week.

Unusual season for Nova as they have now burned the redshirt of all healthy freshmen recruits.

RootinFerDukes
October 18th, 2017, 06:15 AM

I don’t factor in injuries when ranking. It’s solely wins and losses.
If they lose their key starters but have the depth to keep winning, then you jumped the gun. Imagine if I had dropped ndsu just because they lost that defensive lineman.

PaladinFan
October 18th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Just a sidenote. Elon beat Furman earlier this year and Malcolm Summers had 2 carries for 1 yard.

He's a key cog, but they can win without him too.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2017, 07:59 AM

Yeah what this guy said. Not knocking the kid at all, but unless he's an NFL talent that compensates greatly for OL inadequacies I think Elon will ride this ship

Anthony215
October 18th, 2017, 08:10 AM
Villanova will be coming off its bye week & now faces weekly elimination from playoffs. Throw in that the DC and DL assistant are an ex-Villanova coach (Tony Trisciani) & former player (Dylan Lucas) and it has all the makings of a slobber knocker.

Nova didn’t expect to burn the redshirt of highly touted QB Kyle McCloskey, but now that we did here is to hoping he “ignites” the offense to double digits. All we may need to beat Elon after this bye week.

Unusual season for Nova as they have now burned the redshirt of all healthy freshmen recruits.

Jaquan Amos has been a pleasant surprise filling in for Rolle while he is out injured. I suspect McCloskey will finish out the season as a starter and possibly redshirt next year when the starter Bednarczyk returns next year for his senior year.

Professor
October 18th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Sorry to hear that , hope it all works out for Elon

phoenix3
October 18th, 2017, 09:57 AM
"Thread: Elon suffers major blow to potential CAA title and playoff hopes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?197555-Elon-suffers-major-blow-to-potential-CAA-title-and-playoff-hopes/page2)"
Very dramatic MTfan. Are you a CNN reporter?

Not taking anything away from Malcolm, he is an exceptionally talented running back. However, he was third on our depth chart at the start of the season. Cyphers and McNair went out with a concussion and an ankle sprain, respectively, in the Furman game, (2nd game of the season). Cyphers and McNair are both now healthy. BTW, we won that game with net 135 rushing yards and 311 passing yards. So, 1: We have an excellent offensive line and capable replacement running backs. 2: We have a QB and receivers who have barely been tested. So while we will no doubt miss Malcolm, it's far from an "all is lost" scenario.

ngineer
October 18th, 2017, 07:08 PM
If they lose their key starters but have the depth to keep winning, then you jumped the gun. Imagine if I had dropped ndsu just because they lost that defensive lineman.

True. Why football is such a team sport. Players will go down and the very good teams are able to plug the voids created. If Elon's OL is pretty good, it should not impact them a great bit, albeit it will impact them to some degree. This is when good players challenge each other to do better to pick up any slack that occurs. Good luck to the Phoenix. Nice to see a new program entering the discussion.

cx500d
October 18th, 2017, 07:30 PM

So you’re saying if Chris Streveler went down from South Dakota YOu wouldn’t rank them any different?
Or joe protheroe from poly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizband
October 18th, 2017, 07:38 PM
So you’re saying if Chris Streveler went down from South Dakota YOu wouldn’t rank them any different?

I wouldn't, but I tend to vote based on what teams have accomplished, not how I think they will perform moving forward. If losses at key positions lead to struggles, it will show up in wins and losses for the rest of the season.

Thumper 76
October 18th, 2017, 08:28 PM

I wouldn’t. I would wait to see how it affects them.

RootinFerDukes
October 18th, 2017, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't, but I tend to vote based on what teams have accomplished, not how I think they will perform moving forward. If losses at key positions lead to struggles, it will show up in wins and losses for the rest of the season.

Bingo. Well said. That’s about the same as saying, “well this football program will eventually lose enough games to not be ranked, so let me just go ahead and get it over with.”

grizband
October 19th, 2017, 12:37 AM
Bingo. Well said. That’s about the same as saying, “well this football program will eventually lose enough games to not be ranked, so let me just go ahead and get it over with.”
I still don't advocate rating teams based on how you think they will eventually play, as opposed to how they have actually played. Difference of opinions, I suppose.

MTfan4life
October 19th, 2017, 12:59 AM
"Thread: Elon suffers major blow to potential CAA title and playoff hopes (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?197555-Elon-suffers-major-blow-to-potential-CAA-title-and-playoff-hopes/page2)"

Very dramatic MTfan. Are you a CNN reporter?

Not taking anything away from Malcolm, he is an exceptionally talented running back. However, he was third on our depth chart at the start of the season. Cyphers and McNair went out with a concussion and an ankle sprain, respectively, in the Furman game, (2nd game of the season). Cyphers and McNair are both now healthy. BTW, we won that game with net 135 rushing yards and 311 passing yards. So, 1: We have an excellent offensive line and capable replacement running backs. 2: We have a QB and receivers who have barely been tested. So while we will no doubt miss Malcolm, it's far from an "all is lost" scenario.

SHHHH. My secrets out, but please don't tell anyone!

The year Chase Reynolds broke out for Montana, he started third on the depth chart. So by just saying he started third, doesn't necessarily mean there are two better running backs on the roster. I never said all was lost, though. I just said it was a major blow. Any time you hand the football to a guy 34 carries a game, he must have become an important part of your program. That's especially considering Summers was posting more than 5.5 ypc and McNair and Cyphers combined for less than 4 ypc. (those stats were similar last season between Summers & McNair) I'm sure they're still pretty good considering they did start the year higher and most teams usually go 3 to 4 deep at the RB position with comfortability. It will definitely be an adjustment without his explosive capabilities, though. No reason to rank anyone differently, yet. They're still 5-1 with 4 very good wins.

smallcollegefbfan
October 20th, 2017, 09:55 AM

I think people are saying you rank based on what they have done and you don't truly know how an injury will effect them until you see them play without those players. If Elon comes out and has 225 yards rushing behind their two healthy backs and win in their next game you have to keep them up there. If they are held to see 60 yards rushing and lose to an unranked team or team below them, then you know the injury effects their team enough to warrant dropping them.

Example from two years ago. Carson Wentz goes down and was a projected first round pick at the time. He got hurt and missed most of the year but NDSU kept winning anway.

Like I said, if their performance clearly is down big time on offense over the next two games then you know for sure he was key and drop them but if they keep on winning with a strong ground game, then there is no reason to drop them.