PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern players remove CSU decal from helmet in protest

WestCoastAggie
October 17th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Charleston Southern players remove CSU decal from helmet in protestTuesday, October 17th 2017, 3:45 pm EDT
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -There were no CSU logos on the side of Charleston Southern players helmets this past Saturday when the Bucs opened their Big South schedule against Presbyterian. That's because the players chose to remove the logo in protest to issues they're having with the school's administration.
Among the issues the players have, the main one appears to revolve around the amount and availability to getting food service on campus.
CSU head coach Mark Tucker said exclusively to Live 5 News on Monday "our kids were in a place where they wanted to be unified on something. They're working on some things that they had some problems with. I facilitated the meetings that needed to take place and counseled with them and told them this is the way things are going to work."

http://www.live5news.com/story/36618679/charleston-southern-players-remove-csu-decal-from-helmet-in-protest

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/ChrisObarski/status/920032941887115266

ngineer
October 17th, 2017, 09:25 PM
Nice to see solidarity and standing up for something that touches upon all students. Can also be used to help bond the team.

NorthChuckSouth
October 17th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Hoping to see some MUCH needed improvement with this.

cx500d
October 17th, 2017, 09:37 PM
They chose poorly. If they would have went to The Citadel instead, they are guaranteed 3 hots and a cot.

Bisonoline
October 17th, 2017, 09:40 PM
Did they not know the situation before attending the school?

dewey
October 17th, 2017, 10:09 PM
Are the dining halls closed before football practice is done? What specifically is the issue? Not enough food and not easy to find by the article.

Dewey

cx500d
October 17th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Are the dining halls closed before football practice is done? What specifically is the issue? Not enough food and not easy to find by the article.

Dewey

the Residence Dining Center at NDSU used to stay open later than advertised for athletes.

NorthChuckSouth
October 17th, 2017, 10:26 PM
We usually got out of practice around 6:30ish and had to rush over before they closed at 7.. the coaches had to call multiple times to get them to keep the dining hall open longer. When we got in there it was usually leftovers they had from lunch or the previous day. Some sundays i would go in and they would only have rice and salad out..

As for the comment about knowing the situation before attending.. I didn't know the situation or other situations before I went there but we all made efforts to where the future students didn't have to worry about it.. There's a long list of things that need fixing and i guess this is the one thing that could get the ball rolling.

cx500d
October 17th, 2017, 10:31 PM
We usually got out of practice around 6:30ish and had to rush over before they closed at 7.. the coaches had to call multiple times to get them to keep the dining hall open longer. When we got in there it was usually leftovers they had from lunch or the previous day. Some sundays i would go in and they would only have rice and salad out..

As for the comment about knowing the situation before attending.. I didn't know the situation or other situations before I went there but we all made efforts to where the future students didn't have to worry about it.. There's a long list of things that need fixing and i guess this is the one thing that could get the ball rolling.

The coaches would call for us too @ NDSU. Its been so long I don't remember if the food was leftovers, but I think it was the same as everybody else had. I was just thankful for the free hot meal after walking over there in the cold.

Sycamore62
October 17th, 2017, 10:39 PM
20 years ago at ISUb we would get done with practice and have about an hour or so before everything closed. I think practice was about 2-530

NorthChuckSouth
October 17th, 2017, 10:39 PM

Dewey

https://twitter.com/dshelton66/status/920027502340464640

I honestly think that this is just to bring more light to the way administration has handled things in general; including food, the bookstore stuff, and facilities.

Bisonoline
October 17th, 2017, 10:41 PM

I would think nutrition would be a no brainer. How the school would let this happen makes no sense.

CID1990
October 18th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Would Jeezus remove his logo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woffordgrad94
October 18th, 2017, 04:00 AM
They chose poorly. If they would have went to The Citadel instead, they are guaranteed 3 hots and a cot.
I see what you did there xnodx

CID1990
October 18th, 2017, 05:53 AM
I see what you did there xnodx

Only a few if any of them could have actually gotten in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Hmmm...the vast majority of CSU students would get into the Citadel with no problem academically. Yall aint Harvard or Wofford.

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 08:32 AM
To former CSU players on here do they still have the Brewer Center restaurant? When i was a player there we had the same issue especially on Tuesdays and Wednesdays long practice nights, but "The Galley" was always open until around 10pm with burgers, fries, and a Pizza Hut, and our meal cards worked there so it didnt cost anything. Many of us preferred it because the food was good, had the lounge and game room, and since it was open to anyone to come in many of The Citadel guys bored girlfriends would loiter in the lounge looking for some fun.

Just curious if that was still an option.

And do they still do Chicketti? Or the sliced ham and mac for lunch....then diced and mixed ham&mac for dinner haha?

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Any CSU folks have images of the planned Athletic Performance Center that the AD said theyre building? He says its gonna bave a separate cafeteria for players, a nutritionist, etc?

walliver
October 18th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I would think nutrition would be a no brainer. How the school would let this happen makes no sense.

Until fairly recently this was a common problem. Special meals and hours for athletes were interpreted at a number of schools as being impermissible benefits for athletes. Most schools, however, found ways around that.

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Yep exactly right, especially for schools in FCS because dont have the athletes only facilities like major FBS schools do. So adjusting something for all students to cater to athletes was sometimes seen as a benefit, which is untrue as long as all students could still go during extended hours.

CID1990
October 18th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Hmmm...the vast majority of CSU students would get into the Citadel with no problem academically. Yall aint Harvard or Wofford.

That must be why your APR is so low.... all those athletes transferring to Harvard and Wofford

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2017, 09:17 AM

The only people who mention Harvard or Wofford in the same sentence are people who've been to neither or have gone to the latter and have no sense of self-awareness

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 09:22 AM
No our APR sucks because a lot of them come for a year or two and quit or transfer. Thats always been an issue here. Too many of them "almost" went or "should've gone" (in their mind) to a bigger school so when they're still scout team or 3rd team in year 2 they tank it.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2017, 09:48 AM
I think it kind of speaks to how good (or even bad?) Chadwell recruited. He got plenty of good players who at least thought they had a chance somewhere else, but couldn't sell them on CSU itself for the long term. I've not heard of this particular problem in FCS. It's not common, though not unheard of.

gsf23nd
October 18th, 2017, 09:58 AM

Not sure if it is changed but when I worked at the dining center at NDSU, there was a specific menu we had to have every day for the football team and we could not deviate from it at all. On the weekends there would be just students working and on one weekend, the regular cooks forgot to leave the menu out for lasagna, which was scheduled for Sunday dinner. All the offices were locked and no one had a key so we couldn't get in to get a recipe. We called up the coach at the time, which was Rocky Hager, told him the situation and asked if we could substitute spaghetti instead. His reply was, "No. Our dietician has lasagna scheduled for us and that is what we will get, figure it out!" So we gathered up the group that was working and said, alright, what's in lasagna, guessed at the amounts and threw it together. Good news, was that Rocky himself had three helpings and told us it was the best lasagna we had ever made.

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 10:02 AM
I think it kind of speaks to how good (or even bad?) Chadwell recruited. He got plenty of good players who at least thought they had a chance somewhere else, but couldn't sell them on CSU itself for the long term. I've not heard of this particular problem in FCS. It's not common, though not unheard of.

You're exactly right about not selling CSU long term but that been an issue since way before Chadwell. We dont deny it....CSU is NOT a school many players pick first. Our stadium suck and the campus is boring. The Charleston area is incredible and basically paradise for a college kid but thays 15 miles away. CSU has always gotten guys from a few categories. Guys who transfer in. Guys who were in the mix for a bigger offer but didnt get it. Guys who got D2 offers from D2 powers but wanted to play D1. And JUCO.

Not many players have CSU on their radar as kids haha so we have always been kinda the detour choice. Kids grow up with USC/CU dreams but also have places like App or Citadel as places they'd love to play. Few see CSU as that. Which leads to quite a few kids bailing once they get here and realize they wont be a starter immediately or ever. And of course some get caught up in the Charleston night life and beach crowd and just flunk out. Our recruiting pitch is basically come play D1, live in college kid paradise, a chance to play immediately. But most dont play immediately.

The best thing Chadwell did was just spark the energy level. Jay Mills made a pretty big splash his first 4 years....but fizzled out his last 4. Chadwell brought energy and the facility "upgrades" are slowly helping.

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Not sure if it is changed but when I worked at the dining center at NDSU, there was a specific menu we had to have every day for the football team and we could not deviate from it at all. On the weekends there would be just students working and on one weekend, the regular cooks forgot to leave the menu out for lasagna, which was scheduled for Sunday dinner. All the offices were locked and no one had a key so we couldn't get in to get a recipe. We called up the coach at the time, which was Rocky Hager, told him the situation and asked if we could substitute spaghetti instead. His reply was, "No. Our dietician has lasagna scheduled for us and that is what we will get, figure it out!" So we gathered up the group that was working and said, alright, what's in lasagna, guessed at the amounts and threw it together. Good news, was that Rocky himself had three helpings and told us it was the best lasagna we had ever made.

Haha thats great.

"No we will NOT have string pasta with tomato meat sauce we will have flat pasta with tomato meat sauce!!"

OldKat95
October 18th, 2017, 11:06 AM
Haha thats great.

"No we will NOT have string pasta with tomato meat sauce we will have flat pasta with tomato meat sauce!!"
BAHAHAHA!!! Now you come and clean the Dr. Pepper off my screen that you just made me spit out laughing!!

Go...gate
October 18th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Haha thats great.

Light on the ricotta, heavy on the meat!

gsf23nd
October 18th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Haha thats great.

The funny thing is the recipe was probably put together by their dietician as well so I'm sure we were no where near the way we were supposed to make it, but hey, at the time, the football program payed about 3 times more per meal than any of the other sports teams there so if they want lasagna they get lasagna.

Milktruck74
October 18th, 2017, 12:11 PM
I was at UTC the last year we had a training table and the first year we had to eat in the regular Cafe..... the "special benefit" of the training table was being able to eat all the leftovers you wanted. That was it....When we moved to the regular cafe, we got subway, pizza hut, CFA......life was grand, but you had to run to make it before closing. Pretty much the same complaint everybody had. Our deal was we could get whatever we wanted, but were not suppose to take anything out. My roommate picked up Pizza hut 8 personal pizzas and the manager went nuts and told him he wasn't allowed to do that....he sat down in front of her and ate all of them...folded in half like a taco.

walliver
October 18th, 2017, 12:40 PM
The NCAA changed their policy at the same time they allowed FCOA.

kdinva
October 18th, 2017, 01:13 PM
.....My roommate picked up Pizza hut 8 personal pizzas and the manager went nuts and told him he wasn't allowed to do that....he sat down in front of her and ate all of them...folded in half like a taco.

xnodx xsmileyclapx

Bisonoline
October 18th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Haha thats great.

xlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaoxxlmaox

Bucs2016
October 18th, 2017, 10:31 PM
The funny thing is the recipe was probably put together by their dietician as well so I'm sure we were no where near the way we were supposed to make it, but hey, at the time, the football program payed about 3 times more per meal than any of the other sports teams there so if they want lasagna they get lasagna.

Hmmmmm.....you guys made them their special lasagna....they go on to become the greatest dynasty in FCS history......what’s that recipe?!?

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2017, 07:19 AM
Hmmmmm.....you guys made them their special lasagna....they go on to become the greatest dynasty in FCS history......what’s that recipe?!?
I'm going to guess much more cheese and seasoning than the dietician's recipe called for. xlolx

walliver
October 19th, 2017, 08:35 AM

Maybe they added something that only looked like oregano.

Go...gate
October 19th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Good Lasagna, like good Meatloaf, is the manna of the gods.