PDA

View Full Version : UND AD to retire

Laker
October 17th, 2017, 02:25 PM
http://www.uscho.com/2017/10/17/brian-faison-to-retire-as-north-dakota-ad-effective-dec-31-2017/

Silenoz
October 17th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Cue a thousand posts from Bison fans

Schism55
October 17th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Cue a thousand posts from Bison fans
Yet you were the first to reply..irony much?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2017, 03:02 PM

What is the irony there? I was coming here to make a statement that we don't need a bunch of crap on the topic and unless he were coming to take shots I am not sure how that is irony?

We don't need to hear any of your hurt feelings about Faison, or whoever else you don't liek in the state government and so forht for anyone that wants to try and pull the same ol' crap would be the suggestion on this one...for anyone wondering why we would be in here on this thread.

Not you specifically Schism55, just saying.

F'N Hawks
October 17th, 2017, 03:14 PM
What is the irony there? I was coming here to make a statement that we don't need a bunch of crap on the topic and unless he were coming to take shots I am not sure how that is irony?

We don't need to hear any of your hurt feelings about Faison, or whoever else you don't liek in the state government and so forht for anyone that wants to try and pull the same ol' crap would be the suggestion on this one...for anyone wondering why we would be in here on this thread.

Not you specifically Schism55, just saying.

Oh snap!

FWIW, it was hardly a retirement. Kennedy is cleaning house and Faison was lazy and a poor fundraiser.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 17th, 2017, 03:19 PM
Oh snap!

FWIW, it was hardly a retirement. Kennedy is cleaning house and Faison was lazy and a poor fundraiser.

I honestly didn't know Faison was still there. I just know the names of people I don't know and shouldn't know from all the back and forth for years. xlolx

BisonFan02
October 17th, 2017, 03:19 PM
"Retired"

Silenoz
October 17th, 2017, 03:32 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7btPCcdNniyf0ArS/source.gif

....no?

Kemo
October 17th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I'm assuming there is some correlation with the retirement and this (http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/4334624-und-hires-consulting-firm-review-top-officials-athletic-department#.WeYBcvNDz8E.twitter).

Also, does UND hire a consulting firm for every decision in the university? I'm seriously asking.

underdawg
October 17th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Lennon?

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2017, 04:01 PM
I'm assuming there is some correlation with the retirement and this (http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/4334624-und-hires-consulting-firm-review-top-officials-athletic-department#.WeYBcvNDz8E.twitter).

Also, does UND hire a consulting firm for every decision in the university? I'm seriously asking.

Good question.

BisonBacker
October 17th, 2017, 04:05 PM

Serous answer. When you can point a finger at a consulting firm as opposed to making decisions as a leader you always have an out. In some cases there are good reasons and it maybe necessary to go the consulting route but in their case there are way to many examples of hiring consulting firms rather than leaders just making executive decisions and you can extrapolate why they do it the way they do but it seems to me to be just poor leadership.

BadlandsGrizFan
October 17th, 2017, 04:08 PM
My Girlfriend works as a human capital consultant for Deloitte.....when their team shows up....top dogs are not happy because it usually means their asses.

BisonFan02
October 17th, 2017, 04:13 PM
My Girlfriend works as a human capital consultant for Deloitte.....when their team shows up....top dogs are not happy because it usually means their asses.

http://www.thepopjar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/office-space-the-bobs.png

cx500d
October 17th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Lennon?

He's at University of Mary in Bismarck....He already had that gig

geaux_sioux
October 17th, 2017, 05:16 PM
We’ve had three poor ADs in a row. This is a huge hire for the future of our teams.

BisonTru
October 17th, 2017, 05:40 PM

I'm impressed they skipped the task force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
October 17th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Ive hated this guy since 1993. He is one of my 3 least favorite people to ever live. He was our AD my first couple years at ISUb. Im disappointed that his signature is on my NLI.

Bisonoline
October 17th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Serous answer. When you can point a finger at a consulting firm as opposed to making decisions as a leader you always have an out. In some cases there are good reasons and it maybe necessary to go the consulting route but in their case there are way to many examples of hiring consulting firms rather than leaders just making executive decisions and you can extrapolate why they do it the way they do but it seems to me to be just poor leadership.

If you want to get rid of somebody this is the way to do it. You hire a hatchet man. Nothing is written down. Its all done orally. That way there is no paper trail, no accountability and no liability. They offer to pay him off---hence keeping him around for a year as a consultant and he then fades out the back door during that year.

abc123
October 18th, 2017, 09:28 AM
If you want to get rid of somebody this is the way to do it. You hire a hatchet man. Nothing is written down. Its all done orally. That way there is no paper trail, no accountability and no liability. They offer to pay him off---hence keeping him around for a year as a consultant and he then fades out the back door during that year.
He's getting paid whether he sticks around or not, his contract is through June, 2018. If there was a bigger issue, they wouldn't ask him to stay on for 3 more months and then consult for 6 more, they would show him the door. Or if there was cause to let him go, they would have a reason to not pay him. Neither of those things are happening. That's also not saying the President may or may not have been the one to suggest it, but at 67, I don't think he was going to be in the position much longer anyway.

I also know UND isn't the only school in the state who do things verbally to avoid open record requests. Are you saying there is nefarious things going on every time that happens?

BisonFan02
October 18th, 2017, 09:53 AM
He's getting paid whether he sticks around or not, his contract is through June, 2018. If there was a bigger issue, they wouldn't ask him to stay on for 3 more months and then consult for 6 more, they would show him the door. Or if there was cause to let him go, they would have a reason to not pay him. Neither of those things are happening. That's also not saying the President may or may not have been the one to suggest it, but at 67, I don't think he was going to be in the position much longer anyway.

I also know UND isn't the only school in the state who do things verbally to avoid open record requests. Are you saying there is nefarious things going on every time that happens?

It is an adventure every time UND announces a big press conference. They are either dropping sports, letting people go, mascot gate, or announcing allegiance to DII and ending the NDSU rivalry. :D I get giddy with anticipation. xlolx #paying25centsforcupofranch

BisonFan02
October 18th, 2017, 09:58 AM
http://www.inforum.com/columns/4345317-commentary-not-buying-it-questions-remain-after-und-announces-athletic-directors

Dude got canned.....

Yote 53
October 18th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Bottom line, UND is getting left in the dust in the Dakotas. Look around, NDSU's run in football is obvious. SDSU has had success in football and basketball and has better programs than UND in both. USD just completely abused them in football this fall and has the better basketball program too. Sure, UND made the MBB tourney last year, but no way that would have happened if they played in the Summit, which they are about to enter. UND is so far behind the other Dakota schools it is ridiculous right now. On top of that there are budget issues that forced the dropping of the Women's Hockey program (even though it needed to happen and was the right move) and other sports like baseball also getting the axe in recent year. It's no wonder UND alumni and donors are wondering what the heck is going on. I would expect heads to roll and for somebody to get in there to right the ship. UND has some catching up to do, and mired in deep 4th place amongst the Dakota 4 is not where you want to be.

Bisonator
October 18th, 2017, 10:13 AM
I think I can speak for all Bison fans when I say we are extremely disappointed in this turn of events. :D

Bisonator
October 18th, 2017, 10:17 AM
http://ventureburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Sinking-Ship.jpg

The "Flagship"

abc123
October 18th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Bottom line, UND is getting left in the dust in the Dakotas. Look around, NDSU's run in football is obvious. SDSU has had success in football and basketball and has better programs than UND in both. USD just completely abused them in football this fall and has the better basketball program too. Sure, UND made the MBB tourney last year, but no way that would have happened if they played in the Summit, which they are about to enter. UND is so far behind the other Dakota schools it is ridiculous right now. On top of that there are budget issues that forced the dropping of the Women's Hockey program (even though it needed to happen and was the right move) and other sports like baseball also getting the axe in recent year. It's no wonder UND alumni and donors are wondering what the heck is going on. I would expect heads to roll and for somebody to get in there to right the ship. UND has some catching up to do, and mired in deep 4th place amongst the Dakota 4 is not where you want to be.

UND's football program was still reeling from the mess the previous coach made and aopeared to be on the right track until unprecedented injuries completely derailed the season, but they did just knock off USD as recently as last season. Credit to the Yotes though, they are having a hell of a season this year. Bubba knows what it takes to be successful in the MVFC, we'll find out in 3 years if he can actually pull it off. The only Summit program the MBB has played with any regularity is NSDU and they have basically split with them the last few seasons. I'm not all the concerned about them being competitive in the Summit. This year will be a mixed bag while they try to replace a huge hole but they will be led by one of the most talented players in the Summit their first year in the conference.

I notice you're leaving out women's sports, where UND has shown they will more than hold their own, especially in VB (will likely be the top team once they join) and WBB (likely top 3, with a hat tip to how well the SD schools excel in WBB). The ones they have struggled in have recently seen some scholarships added that will quickly help improve them.

Their budget issues are more than taken care of, being forced to drop WIH was literally the best things that could happened the department as a whole and anyone who argues otherwise is clueless. Leaving in place would have been more of grounds for dismissal than cutting it. The cuts did go above above and beyond what was required and that gave a good amount of money to being invested into the remaining sports. It is unfortunate that there had to be some collateral damage, mainly due to Title IX issues, but UND needed to right-size their sports offerings.

It's also interesting that someone from USD is the highly critical one of budget positions when they are the Dakota school who's athletic department is by far the most subsidized of any of the four.

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2017, 11:44 AM
There's some smoke coming from elforko grande

http://www.inforum.com/columns/4345317-commentary-not-buying-it-questions-remain-after-und-announces-athletic-directors (http://www.inforum.com/columns/4345317-commentary-not-buying-it-questions-remain-after-und-announces-athletic-directors)

ursus arctos horribilis
October 18th, 2017, 11:48 AM
http://www.inforum.com/columns/4345317-commentary-not-buying-it-questions-remain-after-und-announces-athletic-directors

Dude got canned.....

BB, a few posts above you.

Yote84
October 18th, 2017, 12:13 PM

I would say most D1 institutions do. Same as SDSU hiring a firm for their university president search a few years back. Common practice in my opinion.

IBleedYellow
October 18th, 2017, 01:16 PM

Yes. Yes they do.

Their current President hasn't made a decision himself. He's put a committee in front of him so that he's not the bad guy.

abc123
October 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM
I would say most D1 institutions do. Same as SDSU hiring a firm for their university president search a few years back. Common practice in my opinion.
I would be more concerned if they didn't, particularly with the open records laws in ND. A search firm is able to make contacts to gauge interest and keep them confidential, something the University is unable to do and there is zero doubt that newspapers will be filing plenty of FOIA requests. There are lots of people that don't want their current employer to know they are looking into other jobs, it's one way to help with that problem at least partially.

IBleedYellow
October 18th, 2017, 01:20 PM

You forgot the main thing they care about: Hockey. Hockey is doing well. So they really aren't losing that much according to the majority of their main fans and boosters.

BisonBacker
October 18th, 2017, 01:31 PM
BB, a few posts above you.

Ooopssss missed that.

F'N Hawks
October 18th, 2017, 01:41 PM

LOL. The Yotees are finally relevant in football after a 30 year rebuilding project and this is what happens. :D

Yotes21
October 18th, 2017, 03:11 PM
UND will compete in the Summit for MBB, WBB, and definitely VB.

Yotes abused UND in WBB last year, but it was in Verm which they defend very well.

USD also beat UND in VB last year in Verm, but I know UND has a good VB program.

abc123
October 18th, 2017, 03:32 PM
UND will compete in the Summit for MBB, WBB, and definitely VB.

Yotes abused UND in WBB last year, but it was in Verm which they defend very well.

USD also beat UND in VB last year in Verm, but I know UND has a good VB program.

Abused is kind when describing how that WBB game went. USD has a great team and it looked like UND still hadn't recovered from losing in the Big Sky tourney.

VB was still trying to find its way replacing some good players, USD took full advantage. They started out the season 2-4 while working on the proper combos and went on to win 24 of their next 29 before losing to the Gophs in the NCAA tourney. Hope they can hold onto the coach for a while, he's building something that is pretty impressive.

nodak651
January 5th, 2018, 01:17 AM
Current EWU AD Bill Chaves is a finalist.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4383197-und-narrows-athletic-director-candidates-four

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 5th, 2018, 05:20 AM
Current EWU AD Bill Chaves is a finalist.
http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4383197-und-narrows-athletic-director-candidates-four

Mannausau would be a great fit for UND. Former player and now in the fund raising aspect.

geaux_sioux
January 5th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Mannausau would be a great fit for UND. Former player and now in the fund raising aspect.

Great guy. Not quite experienced enough yet for me. Maybe next go around.

Bisonator
January 5th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I'm surprised a former hockey player or coach isn't in the running.

PantherRob82
January 5th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Great guy. Not quite experienced enough yet for me. Maybe next go around.
Ay current athletic director doesn’t have enough experience for you?

BisonFan02
January 5th, 2018, 11:09 AM

Delusions of grandeur......

Bisonator
January 5th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Pretty sure he was referring to Mike Mannausau.

PantherRob82
January 5th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Pretty sure he was referring to Mike Mannausau.
My bad. Read it on the go and didn’t connect the different names. Carry on. xlolx